Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   American (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/american/)
-   -   AA Hiring? (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/american/133522-aa-hiring.html)

Gooselives 04-03-2021 03:47 PM

AA Hiring?
 
Whats the lowdown on AA hiring? Any prediction or forecast information this year and next?

AAhole 04-03-2021 07:21 PM

https://pointsmilesandmartinis.board...affing-issues/

Might be time to get ahead of this thing... Or let attrition handle the number of pilots we need until it's an emergency to hire as many as possible in the shortest amount of time.

blastoff 04-03-2021 08:06 PM

WAG...probably early 2022 for Summer 2022.

El Peso 04-03-2021 11:01 PM


Originally Posted by Gooselives (Post 3216198)
Whats the lowdown on AA hiring? Any prediction or forecast information this year and next?

why do you want to know?

Al Czervik 04-04-2021 01:12 AM


Originally Posted by El Peso (Post 3216384)
why do you want to know?

Yeah, weird. I think heís a probie at UAL.

Gooselives 04-04-2021 05:33 AM


Originally Posted by blastoff (Post 3216355)
WAG...probably early 2022 for Summer 2022.

Thanks
..............

Pebbles 04-04-2021 06:23 AM


Originally Posted by Gooselives (Post 3216430)
Thanks
..............


The truth is, nobody on this site knows anything about possible hiring. Nobody.

My guess: September/October of this year... still quite a few to run back through short/medium courses and once theyíre all done, new hires.

Just my guess, will be fun to see whenever it actually does begin.

morerightrudder 04-04-2021 03:22 PM

Most definitely not in the know. But before AA can hire OTS, there's still:
  • Around 450 people who have not been recalled yet.
  • 2-3 classes who started training but were then sent home (dunno if they count as part of the 450).
  • 1 class that got seniority numbers but never started training.
  • 3 classes of CJOs who had been slated to start in April 2020.
  • Unknown number of people who interviewed/were waiting for a class date.

FlyyGuyy 04-04-2021 03:34 PM


Originally Posted by morerightrudder (Post 3216749)
Most definitely not in the know. But before AA can hire OTS, there's still:
  • Around 450 people who have not been recalled yet.
  • 2-3 classes who started training but were then sent home (dunno if they count as part of the 450).
  • 1 class that got seniority numbers but never started training.
  • 3 classes of CJOs who had been slated to start in April 2020.
  • Unknown number of people who interviewed/were waiting for a class date.


Fwiw I'm an April recall. Training begins tomorrow short course. They're hustling to get us through. 5 days notice of training. 4 for the travel day. Already assigned reserve the day after training ends.

Harry Pommes 04-04-2021 04:14 PM

How long is the short course?

victormike 04-04-2021 04:19 PM


Originally Posted by morerightrudder (Post 3216749)
Most definitely not in the know. But before AA can hire OTS, there's still:
  • Around 450 people who have not been recalled yet.
  • 2-3 classes who started training but were then sent home (dunno if they count as part of the 450).
  • 1 class that got seniority numbers but never started training.
  • 3 classes of CJOs who had been slated to start in April 2020.
  • Unknown number of people who interviewed/were waiting for a class date.

Those 3 classes of CJOs could be something like 3-400 from what I've heard (if someone has a tangible number lmk). If a decent number of those 450-500 go through shorts, I think those CJOs will start going for a June/July timeframe. Buckle up because it's going to get interesting especially now with that clear as mud CDC guidance on yes you can travel but like try not to because idk you could still die. People are done.

LabDad06 04-04-2021 04:36 PM


Originally Posted by victormike (Post 3216787)
Those 3 classes of CJOs could be something like 3-400 from what I've heard...

From what I heard from someone at AA, there are around 500 (I heard about 470, but have read as high as 530) with seniority numbers that have not been notified of training yet, which includes that March class that was hired but never started.

There were three more classes up through the end of April that I think were about 60 per class? Then there were additional CJOs without class dates, no idea how many. Then those who interviewed that were not given a yes or no due to Covid.

sanicom3205 04-04-2021 05:18 PM


Originally Posted by victormike (Post 3216787)
Those 3 classes of CJOs could be something like 3-400 from what I've heard (if someone has a tangible number lmk). If a decent number of those 450-500 go through shorts, I think those CJOs will start going for a June/July timeframe. Buckle up because it's going to get interesting especially now with that clear as mud CDC guidance on yes you can travel but like try not to because idk you could still die. People are done.

People arenít ďdoneĒ, theyíre getting vaccines. Itís a thing of beauty.

Those 500 ish pilots who havenít been given a return to active date are in addition to the two groups who have been notified/have been brought back. The May 2nd return to active group has no training dates. Many in the April return to active havenít been given training dates.

A good percentage of people need to go through the long course, and everyone has to fly with a CKA. Itís going to take them a bit. I am in the May return and I donít know if Iíll see a plane before August looking at the numbers. We dropped a lot of CKAs and didnít replace them.

3 classes and youíre in the door

EagleVol 04-04-2021 05:43 PM


Originally Posted by sanicom3205 (Post 3216827)
People arenít ďdoneĒ, theyíre getting vaccines. Itís a thing of beauty.

Those 500 ish pilots who havenít been given a return to active date are in addition to the two groups who have been notified/have been brought back. The May 2nd return to active group has no training dates. Many in the April return to active havenít been given training dates.

A good percentage of people need to go through the long course, and everyone has to fly with a CKA. Itís going to take them a bit. I am in the May return and I donít know if Iíll see a plane before August looking at the numbers. We dropped a lot of CKAs and didnít replace them.

3 classes and youíre in the door

Are they making everyone do 2 legs of OE? I only see that as a requirement for captains who do the short course. Itís probably not a bad idea though.

sanicom3205 04-04-2021 05:47 PM


Originally Posted by EagleVol (Post 3216836)
Are they making everyone do 2 legs of OE? I only see that as a requirement for captains who do the short course. Itís probably not a bad idea though.

You could be right about OE. Gonna be sporty having not touched a plane in the better part of a year

So I guess FTO does short course and no OE, straight furlough does long course and OE even if returning to the same equipment

Pebbles 04-04-2021 06:34 PM


Originally Posted by sanicom3205 (Post 3216838)
You could be right about OE. Gonna be sporty having not touched a plane in the better part of a year

So I guess FTO does short course and no OE, straight furlough does long course and OE even if returning to the same equipment



Originally Posted by Harry Pommes (Post 3216784)
How long is the short course?


5 days for short course ...

And no OE required except CAís for those on short course. I would think long course OE is for those non-FTO who switched equipment is all. If staying on same equipment, same as FTO I thought. But, could be wrong. I guess they didnít do any distance learning while out, so Iíll say you are correct on that one!

I think most of us FTO thought weíd stay landing current at least, didnít do that. Iím a May return as well, did FTO option and aside from MAX training, didnít do anything since this whole debacle started.

Life is returning to normal, albeit slowly. But, letís all be grateful for being six figure folks who complain about anything [emoji23]

victormike 04-05-2021 05:28 AM


Originally Posted by sanicom3205 (Post 3216827)
People arenít ďdoneĒ, theyíre getting vaccines. Itís a thing of beauty.

Those 500 ish pilots who havenít been given a return to active date are in addition to the two groups who have been notified/have been brought back. The May 2nd return to active group has no training dates. Many in the April return to active havenít been given training dates.

A good percentage of people need to go through the long course, and everyone has to fly with a CKA. Itís going to take them a bit. I am in the May return and I donít know if Iíll see a plane before August looking at the numbers. We dropped a lot of CKAs and didnít replace them.

3 classes and youíre in the door

Well if you figure our planes are a cross section of the general population Iíll bet only 32% of them have had their first shot and only 19% are fully vaccinated. Yeah people are getting vaccinated but I donít think they are disproportionately who we are flying right now. People have been locked away for a year and yes, they are done. Personal responsibility will overtake the previous fear.

Also Iím flying with too many people who donít want the shot. If you want this industry to go back to normal get the stupid shot.

sanicom3205 04-05-2021 07:31 AM


Originally Posted by victormike (Post 3216972)
Well if you figure our planes are a cross section of the general population Iíll bet only 32% of them have had their first shot and only 19% are fully vaccinated. Yeah people are getting vaccinated but I donít think they are disproportionately who we are flying right now. People have been locked away for a year and yes, they are done. Personal responsibility will overtake the previous fear.

Also Iím flying with too many people who donít want the shot. If you want this industry to go back to normal get the stupid shot.

56 million people fully vaccinated in the US is not insignificant, I think itís kind of hard to argue that isnít the driving force behind the bookings we are seeing now.

Your company also pretty much discouraged people from getting vaccinated while weíre getting paid to get vaccinated. Piedmont needs to get on board

victormike 04-05-2021 08:54 AM


Originally Posted by sanicom3205 (Post 3217043)
56 million people fully vaccinated in the US is not insignificant, I think itís kind of hard to argue that isnít the driving force behind the bookings we are seeing now.

Your company also pretty much discouraged people from getting vaccinated while weíre getting paid to get vaccinated. Piedmont needs to get on board

Itís not insignificant but I donít think itís a huge population of who we fly today. In a month I think thatís a different story if we keep up 3-4 million + a day.

Donít get me on a ďif I was king of the airlineĒ soap box. You donít miss this dumpster fire? I canít wait to watch it burn down as flying really picks up and Iím out the door.

Dobbs18 04-05-2021 06:27 PM


Originally Posted by victormike (Post 3216972)
Well if you figure our planes are a cross section of the general population Iíll bet only 32% of them have had their first shot and only 19% are fully vaccinated. Yeah people are getting vaccinated but I donít think they are disproportionately who we are flying right now. People have been locked away for a year and yes, they are done. Personal responsibility will overtake the previous fear.

Also Iím flying with too many people who donít want the shot. If you want this industry to go back to normal get the stupid shot.

there is so much money on the table to get the shot for us now I think alot of those types will be joining the line shortly if not oh well their loss....and yeah I think the overall sentiment of people is they have had enough....looks like most states should be well over 20% vaccinated if not 30%+ by the end of April...hell maybe even higher cause I am not sure how fast those numbers have been rising...

Dobbs18 04-05-2021 06:29 PM

hope we hire or train guys soon because 110 poor soul FOs are going to be TDY-ed to LGA for May!...yes 110!

victormike 04-06-2021 04:56 AM


Originally Posted by Dobbs18 (Post 3217425)
hope we hire or train guys soon because 110 poor soul FOs are going to be TDY-ed to LGA for May!...yes 110!

Thats gross

sanicom3205 04-06-2021 07:33 AM


Originally Posted by Dobbs18 (Post 3217425)
hope we hire or train guys soon because 110 poor soul FOs are going to be TDY-ed to LGA for May!...yes 110!

Ingot word yesterday that Iím ďreturning homeĒ to LaGuardia. Honestly just glad to be coming employed, $100 Newark ubers be damned

FlyyGuyy 04-06-2021 02:32 PM


Originally Posted by sanicom3205 (Post 3217595)
Ingot word yesterday that Iím ďreturning homeĒ to LaGuardia. Honestly just glad to be coming employed, $100 Newark ubers be damned

told scheduling one morning that it would be 5 hours before I could be there. It was Saturday. The train wasnít running until later and I would miss the next train...

they happily offered to call a ĎlimoĒ for me. That was nice. Would be nicer if we dropped ewr from our base structure...itís in a different state ffs. Plus we hardly operate from there to begin with.

sanicom3205 04-06-2021 03:03 PM


Originally Posted by FlyyGuyy (Post 3217869)
told scheduling one morning that it would be 5 hours before I could be there. It was Saturday. The train wasnít running until later and I would miss the next train...

they happily offered to call a ĎlimoĒ for me. That was nice. Would be nicer if we dropped ewr from our base structure...itís in a different state ffs. Plus we hardly operate from there to begin with.

Rereading my post, that was barely English.

The best is when you get a report time in EWR so early in the morning that the trains arenít running to the airport yet. Great times!

AllYourBaseAreB 04-07-2021 08:38 AM

EWR is the vast majority of the open time in my seat. Brutal trips, often uncommutable on both ends, and/or 3.5 hr sits in CLT everyday

watch 04-07-2021 04:43 PM


Originally Posted by AllYourBaseAreB (Post 3218255)
EWR is the vast majority of the open time in my seat. Brutal trips, often uncommutable on both ends, and/or 3.5 hr sits in CLT everyday

Does American have a duty rig?

Al Czervik 04-07-2021 05:43 PM


Originally Posted by watch (Post 3218529)
Does American have a duty rig?

yes. sit rig as well.

AllYourBaseAreB 04-08-2021 08:42 AM

Lots of different rigs

BandDingOw 04-17-2021 07:44 AM

Do legacies like AA seem to prefer not to hire from other non-legacy majors? For example, if I take a job with Allegiant am I going to be branded in a certain way that will make it hard for me to get picked up at a more desirable company?

FlyyGuyy 04-17-2021 07:48 AM


Originally Posted by BandDingOw (Post 3222887)
Do legacies like AA seem to prefer not to hire from other non-legacy majors? For example, if I take a job with Allegiant am I going to be branded in a certain way that will make it hard for me to get picked up at a more desirable company?

No. There was a spirit gal and fedex guy in my class.

El Peso 04-17-2021 08:31 AM


Originally Posted by BandDingOw (Post 3222887)
Do legacies like AA seem to prefer not to hire from other non-legacy majors? For example, if I take a job with Allegiant am I going to be branded in a certain way that will make it hard for me to get picked up at a more desirable company?

Absolutely not. My new hire class had ULCC, Legacy, ACMI, and Regional non-flow throughs (but mostly it consisted of military and flows). If I had to guess, going to Allegiant and getting an Airbus type would actually enhance your app significantly.

hercretired 04-17-2021 11:08 AM


Originally Posted by BandDingOw (Post 3222887)
Do legacies like AA seem to prefer not to hire from other non-legacy majors? For example, if I take a job with Allegiant am I going to be branded in a certain way that will make it hard for me to get picked up at a more desirable company?

I would think Part 121 experience, flying the same model aircraft (Airbus 320) that AA operates, would be a good thing.

but what do I know

morerightrudder 04-17-2021 12:21 PM

It makes a competitor waste $$ to have to hire and train your replacement. So yeah, don't worry about it.

Varsity 04-17-2021 04:19 PM


Originally Posted by morerightrudder (Post 3222985)
It makes a competitor waste $$ to have to hire and train your replacement. So yeah, don't worry about it.

It actually saves the competitor money by lowering the longevity of their workforce.

Paying 50k to train somebody is nothing compared to the difference in longevity pay of a newhire several years junior.

morerightrudder 04-17-2021 06:42 PM

It would depend on the age of the replacement.

Also, if they've been at said LCC/competing legacy several years, the chances of leaving are much lower.

El Peso 04-17-2021 06:51 PM


Originally Posted by morerightrudder (Post 3222985)
It makes a competitor waste $$ to have to hire and train your replacement. So yeah, don't worry about it.

This does not in any way shape or form come into the consideration of who gets called by AA.

RPM1967 04-18-2021 04:40 PM

Can a new hire hold DFW or is it really senior?

wiz5422 04-18-2021 05:38 PM


Originally Posted by RPM1967 (Post 3223444)
Can a new hire hold DFW or is it really senior?

Senior, will take a little over a year to hold DFW.

icohftb 04-18-2021 06:18 PM


Originally Posted by wiz5422 (Post 3223464)
Senior, will take a little over a year to hold DFW.

Any idea about PHX? Thanks!


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:17 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands