Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Signing bonus repayment

Duksrule
02-15-2017, 06:41 PM
So with everyone getting a bonus these days, is anyone actually paying them back if they leave early? I remember the old days of training contracts and the airlines not being able to really enforce them. So what about a bonus?

TJBrass
02-16-2017, 04:38 AM
So with everyone getting a bonus these days, is anyone actually paying them back if they leave early? I remember the old days of training contracts and the airlines not being able to really enforce them. So what about a bonus?

They started calling them Promissory Notes. Try getting a mortgage or loan after skipping out on a Promissory Note.

HighFlight
02-16-2017, 04:43 AM
No contract at EDV.

sweetholyjesus
02-16-2017, 04:49 AM
Do what you promised or pay back the money. Simple.

sflpilot
02-16-2017, 06:38 AM
Maybe someone from each regional could post the terms on here at their company so it's clear to everyone going in.
Thanks to the EDV poster above.

texinc
02-16-2017, 07:11 AM
What is the bonus for Endeavor? Is it ending soon? I think they still have a lower hourly rate for FO's . . . .

msprj2
02-16-2017, 07:33 AM
What is the bonus for Endeavor? Is it ending soon? I think they still have a lower hourly rate for FO's . . . .

$30/hr+$30k bonus first year.

HighFlight
02-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Msprj2 gave you the amounts above. The timeline is that it ends 31 Dec 18, last payment will be Jan 19. However, there is currently work underway to combine the bonus with an increased hourly pay. Would love to see that go into play this year.

VoiceOfReason
02-16-2017, 09:58 AM

An airline like EDV won't take away the pay at the termination of the current contract. Look for an extension or blending into hourly rates. Company and ALPA are currently is discussions. We shall see what comes from those talks.

JohnDoe
02-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Msprj2 gave you the amounts above. The timeline is that it ends 31 Dec 18, last payment will be Jan 19. However, there is currently work underway to combine the bonus with an increased hourly pay. Would love to see that go into play this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if 9E turns into Comair pt.2

FreightWasScary
02-16-2017, 11:32 AM

This isn't 2012.

KSCessnaDriver
02-16-2017, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Compass and GoJet turns into Comair pt.2

Fixed that for you...

Work2much
02-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Fixed that for you...

Compass and GoJet aren't wholly owned = impossible to be a Comair 2.0. The ignorance of some people. :rolleyes:

KSCessnaDriver
02-16-2017, 12:31 PM
Compass and GoJet aren't wholly owned = impossible to be a Comair 2.0. The ignorance of some people. :rolleyes:

Yet they'll end up shut down just like Comair...

JesuitValen
02-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Yet they'll end up shut down just like Comair...

Didnt we already get all the GoJets 700s?

HighFlight
02-16-2017, 01:10 PM
Not a very nice thing to say. But why would you say EDV would be Comaired before Compass?

m20cmark21
02-16-2017, 06:03 PM
No need for a contract with TSA. The bonus payments are just paid out incrementally. End of IOE, end of year one, end of year two. If you leave you don't get the next payment.

hawk21
02-16-2017, 06:48 PM
No contract on the bonus at SKW. Only eligible if you're coming from a former air carrier, Part 135 company or have a type rating >12,500 though.

chopperleo
02-17-2017, 02:23 AM
Anyone know about PDT? If you leave, do you have to pay it back? There is no training contract there.... Just curious.

PSA help
02-17-2017, 02:29 AM
Anyone know about PDT? If you leave, do you have to pay it back? There is no training contract there.... Just curious.

All of the WO require you to pay back some or all of the "signing" bonus if you leave early.

Here are PSA's details. I would expect the other WO to be very similar, but any PDT or Envoy guys can correct me with their details.

- If you leave before 1 year, pay it back 100%

- If you stay more than 12 months, then you get to keep at least half, but have to repay a prorated amount on the second half.

But, no training contract, so you are just paying back the bonus and nothing additional.

Also, if they haven't already, the AA WO will start paying the initial signing bonus at the completion of the checkride, and not before. Too many people are showing up, taking up a seat in a new hire class, grabbing the money and running before they even get to sims. There was a directive that came down from AAG on this, since they pay the money.

JesuitValen
02-17-2017, 02:39 AM
All of the WO require you to pay back some or all of the "signing" bonus if you leave early.

Here are PSA's details. I would expect the other WO to be very similar, but any PDT or Envoy guys can correct me with their details.

- If you stay more than 12 months, then you get to keep at least half, but have to repay a prorated amount on the second half.

But, no training contract, so you are just paying back the bonus and nothing additional.

Also, if they haven't already, the AA WO will start paying the initial signing bonus at the completion of the checkride, and not before. Too many people are showing up, taking up a seat in a new hire class, grabbing the money and running before they even get to sims. There was a directive that came down from AAG on this, since they pay the money.
I think Endeavors signing bonus is set up in different payments so you get some after you complete training and some after years end.

Meanwhile you get a retention bonus that is pro rated out if you leave.

tennisguru
02-19-2017, 04:16 PM

This also makes things easier on new hires who wash out at or before their checkride. Some people got the bonus check just a week or two before getting cut.

PSA help
02-19-2017, 04:50 PM
This also makes things easier on new hires who wash out at or before their checkride. Some people got the bonus check just a week or two before getting cut.

I think so as well. Besides, our training pay is very good.

I do wish they would just raise the pay so all these bonuses go away.

bigtime209
02-19-2017, 05:15 PM
I think so as well. Besides, our training pay is very good.

I do wish they would just raise the pay so all these bonuses go away.

How much is training pay?

PSA help
02-19-2017, 05:27 PM
How much is training pay?

It all depends on the company. At my company, it is 75 hours of credit per month plus per diem 24/7 while in training. Also, single occupancy hotels are provided. So, you make quite a bit during training.

First year base pay is about $39/hr, so about $3000 base pay plus another $1200 per diem. That isn't bad for training pay.

Different companies have different pay structures for training.

Mil2Cil
02-20-2017, 09:45 AM
Has anyone paid back the bonus? I'm at a wholly owned and I'm sure guys have left before the 2 year point and can't keep the whole thing. They tax at an estimated 30%, so do you pay out of pocket (what the IRS took) until you get a correct w-2? Anyone that's actually done it would be greatly appreciated!

Embraerpilot
04-29-2017, 06:23 AM
Also how long do you have to repay the bonus before they come after you? And can you pay them back a little at a time?

Morbo
05-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Also how long do you have to repay the bonus before they come after you? And can you pay them back a little at a time?

What company? CommutAir will ask for it back in full within 60 days.

Morbo
05-02-2017, 04:30 PM
They tax at an estimated 30%, so do you pay out of pocket (what the IRS took) until you get a correct w-2? Anyone that's actually done it would be greatly appreciated!

I realize this is 2.5 months late, but for future reference:

Assuming you are paying back in a different tax year (e.g., you were paid the bonus in 2016 and repaid in 2017), IRS Publication 525 covers the situation under Repayments. There are two methods (assuming you repaid more than $3000), and you get the pick whichever is more beneficial.

1. Claim a deduction on your 2017 return for the amount of the repayment

2. Claim a credit on your 2017 return for the difference in the amount of tax your would have paid in 2016 vs. what you actually paid. Example: credit = 2016 tax paid with bonus - 2016 tax you would have paid had you not received the bonus.

I believe the desktop version of TurboTax will do this calculation for you, but not the online version for some reason.

Embraerpilot
05-06-2017, 04:20 AM
What company? CommutAir will ask for it back in full within 60 days.

Envoy?

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1