Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

SpreadEagle
02-22-2017, 11:32 AM
Since the FAA has begun enforcing their OSA compliance has anyone found any information about deducting CPAP expenses? The only information I've been able to glean from the internet has been with regards to truckers.

If it is compliance and use is necessary and required to hold a medical, then I would assume it should also be fully deductible.

Any links to sources would be appreciated.

Windsor
02-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Yes it is. Don't have a link, but I've been deducting it for years because it's required for my medical.

BrewCity
02-22-2017, 02:43 PM
You should be able to use flex spending account for those expenses ... not sure if that'll help you this year though

Windsor
02-22-2017, 06:48 PM
A tax deduction and flex account are two totally different things. You can use your flex account to pay for it and you can also deduct any faa required medical expenses as unreimbursed business expenses. The way my wife explains it, she's an accountant, is that if the Feds require it for your continued certification, you can deduct it.

HighFlight
02-22-2017, 08:04 PM
If it's more than 10% of your AGI, then yes, you can deduct it.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/questions-and-answers-changes-to-the-itemized-deduction-for-medical-expenses

waflyboy
02-23-2017, 03:47 AM
To add, if deducting as job related expenses they are subject to a 2%/AGI floor.

sailingfun
02-23-2017, 04:35 AM
Which if you are subject to the AMT means you get zero for a deduction.

Blackwing
05-14-2017, 12:12 AM
Perfect use of HSA funds, and that way it's all tax-free.