Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Fly Be Dash 8 gear collapse

TheFly
02-24-2017, 11:09 AM
Flybe plane crash lands into Schipol Airport runway amid Storm Doris chaos | Daily Star (http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/590931/flybe-plane-amsterdam-schipol-airport-crash-runway-storm-doris-travel-updates)

rickair7777
02-24-2017, 07:25 PM
Looks like he banked right in the flare, planting the right main pretty hard. Tough to really tell if they had too much sink rate. Looked fairly normal. I guess the FDR will know.

JamesNoBrakes
02-24-2017, 10:51 PM
Looks like he banked right in the flare, planting the right main pretty hard. Tough to really tell if they had too much sink rate. Looked fairly normal. I guess the FDR will know.

That thing hit hard. No flare that I can tell, seemed to drop onto the right main, possible wind shear (loss of lift), but definitely not a normal -8 landing. The -100s have in-flight beta available and during landing flare, this can get you into trouble (quickly develop sink rate).

East Aspen Dash
02-24-2017, 11:28 PM
That thing hit hard. No flare that I can tell, seemed to drop onto the right main, possible wind shear (loss of lift), but definitely not a normal -8 landing. The -100s have in-flight beta available and during landing flare, this can get you into trouble (quickly develop sink rate).

The Q doesn't have inflight beta, and the Q is completely different to land than the 100/200/300. It has a very low tail strike angle making it quite a challenge, and many landings land up being "planters" on these birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qazWSX
02-25-2017, 12:09 PM
I flew the 200/300. Built like Patton's tank. Never heard of a main gear failure that wasn't an extension problem, just a collapse. But the 400 seems to be racking them up on regular basis. Am I wrong ?

East Aspen Dash
02-26-2017, 07:04 AM
Nope you're right. That's why SAS dropped them ages ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1