Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Ankle Fusion Surgery

chopus
02-28-2017, 06:37 AM
Anyone currently flying or know someone that has had an ankle fusion surgery?

CA Av8or
10-18-2017, 06:36 PM

I had a STAR Ankle joint replacement surgery in 2010 with some complications. Currently it is doing ok with plenty of range of motion. I occasionally fly a tail wheel but I am purposely staying out of the airplane because I am trying to preserve the joint. Crosswind landings no problem though. Currently flying a King Air 200 and a light twin. Although ankle fusion is the gold standard in the medical community, I’m not sure if that’s true for pilots and I would like to know if anybody is flying with a fused ankle as well. I know that if I have to have surgery again they will be fusing my ankle. Right now statistics are stating that 80% of patients with artificial ankle joints have revision surgery from 10 to 15 years. Obviously I’m getting close to living on borrowed time.

Slim11
10-30-2017, 02:53 PM

I know of a pilot who flew at AirCal before they were bought out by AA. He was in a GA accident and, IIRC, he continued his airline flying. I don't think he had ankle fusion surgery but do remember him having no flexibility at all in his ankles. I used to work with others who know him.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1