Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Drug test

joepilot
03-22-2017, 06:31 PM
I was asked a question by a new pilot that wants an airline career, and I have no idea of the answer. He said: "I live with my parents, and they both smoke a lot of pot. Will I test positive at a drug test?"

I don't have a factual answer to this, so I thought that I would ask the forum.

Thanks,

Joe

iceman49
03-22-2017, 06:33 PM
Call AMAS .....

Salukipilot4590
03-22-2017, 07:01 PM
Move out of the house?

ugleeual
03-22-2017, 07:07 PM
Sounds like a "I have a friend..." cover up to me. ��

rickair7777
03-22-2017, 07:17 PM
No, the threshold is probably too high for a residual positive. Probably.

Might be a good idea to open a window.

embplt32
03-22-2017, 07:42 PM
The answer is no. Our HIMS presenter informed us the urine is screened to see a certain level of concentration that will not allow for false positives. In his words, "you could eat a thousand poppy seed bagels and still not register for opiates".

labbats
03-22-2017, 07:55 PM
Second hand smoke will not trigger a positive result on a drug test.

But move out already.

Arty13
03-23-2017, 03:19 AM
The answer is no. Our HIMS presenter informed us the urine is screened to see a certain level of concentration that will not allow for false positives. In his words, "you could eat a thousand poppy seed bagels and still not register for opiates".

Don't know about the weed issue, but Costco poppyseed muffins will give a false positive for opiates. I've heard this thousand poppy seed ingestion anecdote before, and it is very much a falsehood. Happened to a good friend at my former carrier. He had to go in and be retested and also had to be examined by a doctor for evidence of needle usage.

Reminds me of a good "contact high" story from a coworker back in the freight days. Good story for another time.

Al Czervik
03-23-2017, 03:29 AM
Don't know about the weed issue, but Costco poppyseed muffins will give a false positive for opiates. I've heard this thousand poppy seed ingestion anecdote before, and it is very much a falsehood. Happened to a good friend at my former carrier. He had to go in and be retested and also had to be examined by a doctor for evidence of needle usage.

This is bad info. The FAA changed this threshold years ago. Poppyseeds will not give a false positive anymore.

Arty13
03-23-2017, 03:34 AM
This is bad info. The FAA changed this threshold years ago. Poppyseeds will not give a false positive anymore.

How many years? My friends experience was about three years ago.

Arty13
03-23-2017, 03:40 AM

And to be completely clear, there was apparently an assumption that it was a false reading because he was so far above the normal levels for a positive result. Have the Feds changed the upper and lower thresholds?

I only post here to give a real life situation. It's easy to cry wolf with anecdotal "thousands of poppy seed" stories, but sticking to facts that you are firmly in possession of is a preferable practice when careers are at stake.

Al Czervik
03-23-2017, 04:01 AM
They changed it before then. If the quantitation in the urine is less than 2,000 ng/ml then poppy seeds are a likely explanation. The DOT and all federal testing uses a 2000 ng/mL cutoff for this reason. Although the possibility is unlikely, there have been cases of poppy seeds causing positives as high as 5000 ng/ml. If the quantity is greater than 2000 ng/ml, then another test, 6 monoacetlymorphine (6 MAM), is automatically performed on federal workplace samples. Monoacetylmorphine is an opiate specific metabolite and is proof of use. If anyone has more up to date info please correct me.

Al Czervik
03-23-2017, 04:05 AM
Cliffs notes: second hand smoke and poppy seeds aren't to be worried about. Watch out for the tea in SA though!

rickair7777
03-23-2017, 06:27 AM
How many years? My friends experience was about three years ago.

About then there was an extra-potent batch of poppy-seed bagels or muffins (from costco of all places) which was causing military members to pop positive. The Navy actually warned everyone away from those particular bagels.

So never say never.

Hrkdrivr
03-23-2017, 06:34 AM
Cliffs notes: second hand smoke and poppy seeds aren't to be worried about. Watch out for the tea in SA though!

"SA" = ???

South 'Merica?

In any case, why? Vendors slipping a little something extra into the tea?

at6d
03-23-2017, 07:03 AM
May want to stay away from the German "Mohnkuchen" (poppy seed cake) during the holidays. It's pretty darn tasty, too. Just saying.

If you are really worried about a positive weed test, go to Walgreens and get a test kit and see for yourself.

Al Czervik
03-23-2017, 11:04 AM
"SA" = ???

South 'Merica?

In any case, why? Vendors slipping a little something extra into the tea?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca_tea

Arty13
03-23-2017, 11:46 AM
They changed it before then. If the quantitation in the urine is less than 2,000 ng/ml then poppy seeds are a likely explanation. The DOT and all federal testing uses a 2000 ng/mL cutoff for this reason. Although the possibility is unlikely, there have been cases of poppy seeds causing positives as high as 5000 ng/ml. If the quantity is greater than 2000 ng/ml, then another test, 6 monoacetlymorphine (6 MAM), is automatically performed on federal workplace samples. Monoacetylmorphine is an opiate specific metabolite and is proof of use. If anyone has more up to date info please correct me.

That puts his experience into perspective. Thanks!

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1