Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Cookiemonster68
03-28-2017, 12:03 PM
Looking for some guidance. Buddy has a citation for underage drinking over 20 years ago. Paid a fine.
I can't remember if this is something airlines will look for in an interview. And, if so, is this really a big deal? I don't think so.
Just wondering if anyone out there has dealt with something like this.
Many thanks!

Web265
03-28-2017, 12:39 PM
I would say this...

Don't lie on an application, formal questionnaire or interview. If it's found out and he/she otherwise passes, it could end that employment. Then that (lying to the prospective employer) becomes the skeleton.

If it comes up, explain what happened and what was positive that was learned from the negative experience.

Is it a "big deal"? Depends on how the buddy handled it and grew / matured as a result.

Just my $.02.

mark611
03-28-2017, 01:42 PM
I had a few buds with similar or worse skeletons that were up front and honest about their past. They got jobs no problem. They used it as an opportunity to talk about their mistakes and what they learned and how they have bettered their lives. As long as the event happened when the applicant was much younger, he or she will be fine. It will definitely come up in the interview, plan on being prepared to talk about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnBurke
03-28-2017, 08:20 PM
Why is it always "I have a friend who" or "I have this buddy?" Come out and say it.

How to deal with your past? Come clean. Period.

a 20 year old citation for underage drinking? Are you kidding? No jay walking in your past, maybe you spit on the sidewalk a few decades in the past?

Who cares? Certainly not an employer. That's not a skeleton. It's nothing. Cop to it, no one will care, move on.

zondaracer
03-29-2017, 08:59 AM
I flew with this captain who was worried about skeletons in his closet. Arrested twice. Once for underage drinking and once for intoxication in public. He is at Delta now.

Hacker15e
03-29-2017, 09:05 AM
Simple: be thoroughly upfront about everything. There's nothing to gain and a lot to lose by trying to hide a skeleton.

There are a lot of airline pilots that were hired with some world-class black marks on their records.

Northtechsan
04-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Who didn't drink when they were under age. You will be fine I mean your buddy will be fine just disclose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnBurke
04-21-2017, 06:09 PM
Who didn't drink when they were under age.

A hell of a lot of us didn't drink underage. Some of us still don't.

1bdun
04-22-2017, 04:52 AM

Damn. I am sorry to hear that.

JohnBurke
04-22-2017, 06:26 AM
Damn. I am sorry to hear that.

How truly pathetic.

Bama McCall
04-24-2017, 06:01 PM
How truly pathetic.

Your life must be that is........
So full of hate and disdain in every post you put on here, so mad at life, so jealous of other's success. Do us all a solid and quit posting your transgressions of how crappy your life is and trying to take it out on us. LMAO it sure sucks to be you

JohnBurke
04-24-2017, 06:54 PM
Your life must be that is........
So full of hate and disdain in every post you put on here, so mad at life, so jealous of other's success. Do us all a solid and quit posting your transgressions of how crappy your life is and trying to take it out on us. LMAO it sure sucks to be you

Grow up.

Two posts to your name, this one full of lies.

You feel that not illegally drinking underage is a transgression, or a sign of a "crappy life?" Stating that one did not drink underage is "taking it out" on you, is it? Again, a truly pathetic view. Your reading comprehension is poor, and your statements non sequitur. You lie.

My life is great. Good job, good income, good family, good schedule, doing what I want. Not that it's any concern of yours.

I said nothing of transgressions, and at no time have given any indication of jealousy, neither of others, nor their success. Again, you lie.

No distain, no hate. I do speak out against it, and have for many years. Again, you lie.

Have you something to contribute to the topic of the thread? The topic isn't me. Focus, if you're able.

B757
04-26-2017, 04:21 AM
Grow up.

Two posts to your name, this one full of lies.

You feel that not illegally drinking underage is a transgression, or a sign of a "crappy life?" Stating that one did not drink underage is "taking it out" on you, is it? Again, a truly pathetic view. Your reading comprehension is poor, and your statements non sequitur. You lie.

My life is great. Good job, good income, good family, good schedule, doing what I want. Not that it's any concern of yours.

I said nothing of transgressions, and at no time have given any indication of jealousy, neither of others, nor their success. Again, you lie.

No distain, no hate. I do speak out against it, and have for many years. Again, you lie.

Have you something to contribute to the topic of the thread? The topic isn't me. Focus, if you're able.

..JB, take a vacation and relax..Your posts have been much more professional in the past..Have some good time !!

B757

JohnBurke
04-26-2017, 07:22 PM
My posts are equally as professional now. I entered rhe rhread ro contribute, and did.

The post you quoted was a response to an individual that...did not.

Whale Driver
05-09-2017, 05:24 AM

Ok. However, I have never met one of them.

Flightcap
05-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Can you say thread drift. To the OP: don't lie. Be honest. Talk about how your life is better because you learned some stuff. All will be well.

SonicFlyer
05-12-2017, 11:00 PM

That's the exception, not the norm which is an indication of bad law.

JohnBurke
05-13-2017, 04:57 AM
That's the exception, not the norm which is an indication of bad law.

No, it isn't. "Everybody does it" is an excuse, and a poor one. It's a childish excuse. It's a similar reason that many people tend to look upon drunk driving lightly. It's a deadly, dangerous act, and should be treated accordingly. Few would see someone fire a rifle down mainstreet and say "it's okay, he didn't hit anyone." None the less, there's a tendency to go easy on the drunk driver that puts his or her vehicle in the same place and causes substantially more injuries and deaths annually in the real world.

Yes, many have done it, and no, it's not a valid excuse, nor is violation of safety and law a valid statement that the law is wrong. The people who do it are wrong. It doesn't become right simply because a percentage of people do it.

SonicFlyer
05-13-2017, 07:56 AM
No, it isn't. "Everybody does it" is an excuse, and a poor one. It's a childish excuse. It's a similar reason that many people tend to look upon drunk driving lightly. It's a deadly, dangerous act, and should be treated accordingly. Few would see someone fire a rifle down mainstreet and say "it's okay, he didn't hit anyone." None the less, there's a tendency to go easy on the drunk driver that puts his or her vehicle in the same place and causes substantially more injuries and deaths annually in the real world.

Yes, many have done it, and no, it's not a valid excuse, nor is violation of safety and law a valid statement that the law is wrong. The people who do it are wrong. It doesn't become right simply because a percentage of people do it.
Nice slight of hand, but that doesn't work here.

No one is talking about drunk driving, which IS an inherently dangerous activity and SHOULD be prohibited.

The discussion was about drinking under the age of 21 and that the majority of people have done it which is an indication that the law is bad if the vast majority of people break it. Read a book called "3 Felonies a Day"

rickair7777
05-13-2017, 02:57 PM
Nice slight of hand, but that doesn't work here.

No one is talking about drunk driving, which IS an inherently dangerous activity and SHOULD be prohibited.

The discussion was about drinking under the age of 21 and that the majority of people have done it which is an indication that the law is bad if the vast majority of people break it. Read a book called "3 Felonies a Day"

It's legal for kids to drink in many states, and mine do (a tiny little bit) on occasion. I was always allowed a beer or two at home as a teenager. Takes the edge off the cool factor and teaches responsible use. Guess what? No DUI's, addiction, or alcohol induced stupidity in my family.

Disclaimer DUI did occur 30+ years ago, when it was socially acceptable, but never to the extent of getting arrested. But that was then.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1