Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Leave Netjets?

hkdguy
03-31-2017, 09:17 PM
Would you leave Netjets for Southwest?

I'm a 15 year XL captain and don't live in a Southwest base.

Thanks for any input.

NJA04
03-31-2017, 10:15 PM
Deleted, Nevermind mind. Cue the balloons and ponies line from Flylow. Everyone (mostly FOs) will snicker behind his back about his line and how out of touch he is.

If you applied, subconsciously you already know. Congrats. Don't look back.

mooneymite
04-01-2017, 03:38 AM

Thanks for any input.

45 years old, or less: absolutely.

B727 right seat
04-01-2017, 05:38 AM
My opinion is if you are under 50 years old, yes, leave Netjets. But it will cost if you don't move to a Southwest base. If you commute, it will cost you time, money, health, sanity.

RhinoDriverF4F
04-01-2017, 06:29 AM

Thanks for any input.

I think thats a question only you can answer for yourself. Given the fact that you want to give up your seniority and really reasonable pay with good vacation, leads me to believe you dont like your job at NetJets that much.
So, if you think you can go back to the right seat for another 10 years and accept a substantial pay cut for the privilege of commuting, then Id say go to SWA.
If you like your job at NetJets and enjoy the home basing, then stay put.
I really dont think there is a "right or wrong" that fits everyone.
All of our situations are so unique and different, it is really hard to say that what is the right way for me would be the right way for you.
But since you are senior to me, Id say go to SWA :-) :-)
J.K.
Seriously, dont make an emotional and peer pressure driven decision unless you really dont llike it where you are.
Good luck and be proud that you have great options to choose from

Das Auto
04-01-2017, 06:46 AM

Thanks for any input.

15 year captain earning $170,000 a year, 7 on 7 off, home based, 100% health care and 4 weeks a year vacation. I'd be very hesitant to give all that up.

Commuting is a nightmare. Unless Southwest has always been your ultimate goal and you're willing to move to one of their bases I'd stay where you are.

flightbag
04-01-2017, 07:07 AM
I several have friends at the majors, and I know a couple of NetJets pilots.

I'm beginning to think the NJ guys like to tell tall stories. One NetJets guy told me he knows a Phenom training Captain who makes a base pay of $229,000.00 per year plus at least 10% over that with all the extra pay they get. He also said he gets 28 actual days of vacation per year. And he doesn't commute.

Sorry folks, I have to throw the BS flag on that one. No company is going to pay a Phenom pilot that kind of dough. Not even half that much.

Smooth at FL450
04-01-2017, 07:17 AM

Thanks for any input.

I was a pretty senior captain at XOJET and left for SWA last year, and I couldn't be happier. You've got significantly different earnings potential at NJA than I did, but you still pretty much leave the house for a week at a time, for the rest of your career, right? I have a 2-day trip today, I don't need to leave the house until after 10am to drive to base, and I'll be home tomorrow night not too late...just to give you an idea of what some of our trips look like. To get a better idea of what you'd be signing up for, what SWA base do you think you'd have the easiest commute to? Can you get there fairly consistently on just 1 leg or would you be looking at a 2-leg commute? Is moving to a base out of the question? Also, how old are you?

GeeWizDriver
04-01-2017, 07:22 AM

I'm beginning to think the NJ guys like to tell tall stories. One NetJets guy told me he knows a Phenom training Captain who makes a base pay of $229,000.00 per year plus at least 10% over that with all the extra pay they get. He also said he gets 28 actual days of vacation per year. And he doesn't commute.

Sorry folks, I have to throw the BS flag on that one. No company is going to pay a Phenom pilot that kind of dough. Not even half that much.

Believe it or not, if he is on the "CC76" schedule with the "Long Tour" option AND he's a training captain, yes, he really is making that much.

10% in "soft money" of holidays, day 1 overtime, over 12 duty overtime, and "after midnight" pay is quoted as the average. However, last year I only made 6% in soft money and I'm on a large cabin international fleet that theoretically should earn more overtime. At least, if you're a Bubba.

As to the OP, depends on your age, where you live, what kind of equipment you want to fly, and what kind of work lifestyle you want to lead. Only you can answer those questions. And we're probably the LAST people you should be asking...

But good luck regardless.

Flyfalcons
04-01-2017, 08:18 AM

With the higher workload schedule option and a supplemental duty position, this pay is indeed realistic. All fleet types pay the same with the exception of the long-range fleets, which pay a little more on the PIC side.

eglplt
04-01-2017, 09:06 AM

Although I don't know him personally, there has been discussions on our pilot message board regarding a Phenom training captain that works multiple extended days every month. I would venture to guess that this is the guy and if he truly is picking up extended days I have no doubt he is making that kind of money.

Flyfalcons
04-01-2017, 10:35 AM
The 14-yr PIC base pay on the CC76 schedule is roughly 213K, plus roughly an 8K longevity bonus at the end of the year for years 15+. Add 3% for doing long tours, and whatever extra a training pilot makes. That will be the base pay before adding holidays, OT, etc.

flightbag
04-01-2017, 11:00 AM
The 14-yr PIC base pay on the CC76 schedule is roughly 213K, plus roughly an 8K longevity bonus at the end of the year for years 15+. Add 3% for doing long tours, and whatever extra a training pilot makes. That will be the base pay before adding holidays, OT, etc.

For flying a Phenom? YGBFSM! Unbelievable. I've got a buddy at DL who says he doesn't even come close to that.

727C47
04-01-2017, 11:17 AM
To each their own, my wife is a 9 year SWA FO , I'm a 9 year NJA FO , we are both relatively happy : ) Godbless to you , either way : )

say again
04-01-2017, 11:18 AM
For flying a Phenom? YGBFSM! Unbelievable. I've got a buddy at DL who says he doesn't even come close to that.

What's your point? Captains at DL make that and much more. What seat, aircraft and years of service is your DL buddy?

Flyfalcons
04-01-2017, 11:40 AM

Is your buddy a new hire or a 14yr+ PIC working 19 days/mo and 8-day trips?

eglplt
04-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Is your buddy a new hire or a 14yr+ PIC working 19 days/mo and 8-day trips?

Exactly! At NetJets you either make money or have a life!

Jetlife
04-01-2017, 03:11 PM
At NetJets you make money as a captain, with added positions like SFP, CA etc. but you are hard pressed to make money as an FO, especially compared to the airlines for compatible days worked per month. Same seat, same days worked per month, NetJets comes up short. Still though, making that kind of money to fly a little jet is impressive given that you'd never make that flying the same equipment anywhere else.

I left NetJets right around my 2 year anniversary (year 3 pay and with numerious spreadsheets comparing pay for the schedule I was willing to work at NetJets, to the current contract at my airline (JCBA is due before the end of the year) and first year is a hit, but second year I'm in the black and by year 3 I will have made up the losses by leaving. It was a no brainer for me as I don't have to commute, and I can make more money and better retirement somewhere else.

There are some unarguable facts to both, airlines can take a dump, but so can NetJets, you will work way harder on your days on at NetJets but you get more days off in a row if you are on a lower paying schedule.

It all depends on what's important to you.

Jetlife
04-01-2017, 03:13 PM
Although I don't know him personally, there has been discussions on our pilot message board regarding a Phenom training captain that works multiple extended days every month. I would venture to guess that this is the guy and if he truly is picking up extended days I have no doubt he is making that kind of money.

Initials SN. Really nice guy, sharp pilot too. But he will be the first to tell you when you fly with him to GTFO and don't look back. Yes he says this as he extends 11+ days a month lol.

ZapBrannigan
04-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Exactly! At NetJets you either make money or have a life!

At SW you either make money or you have a life.

It is exactly the same. The guys raking in the dough at SW are varsity level players working the open time system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WarEagle1
04-01-2017, 07:13 PM
Year 3 FO here at NJ. 45 years old. Looking to jump to WN should the opportunity present itself. Dallas based so it'd be a great fit. App is in, and I'm one of the lucky 400 who'll be attending the in house pilot recruiting event later this month. We'll see what happens. It's the only app I have in. Not interested in AA. I'm happy at NJA, but making the switch is better for myself and my family over the long haul. I was a NO voter on our current CBA. Better than it was under Hansell but for new hire FOs, ehh not so much. Good luck to all!

FLYLOW22
04-01-2017, 09:14 PM

I know a Phenom pilot at NetJets that made 240k W2 with 4 weeks of vacation in 2016.

Next year will tickle 300k.

For flying a Phenom.

I know one that flew extra time and make 400k.

Leave for SWA?

Sure man.

Go for it! (If you're senior to 2002 and don't believe in the next round of bargaining).

🤣🤣🤣[emoji41][emoji41]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170402/0a33279eb85255823347aa889e09b684.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

germanaviator
04-01-2017, 11:08 PM
I know a Phenom pilot at NetJets that made 240k W2 with 4 weeks of vacation in 2016.

Next year will tickle 300k.

For flying a Phenom.

I know one that flew extra time and make 400k.

Leave for SWA?

Sure man.

Go for it! (If you're senior to 2002 and don't believe in the next round of bargaining).

🤣🤣🤣[emoji41][emoji41]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170402/0a33279eb85255823347aa889e09b684.jpg

I gotta ask: What's the point of the pics you keep posting? Do they add anything useful to the discussions? Yeah, the Phenom is kind of pretty but it is a very (!) uncomfortable work place. Tiny seats, no room to stretch your legs during flight, yoke hitting, kneecap, always a bent back while working in the cabin etc... So I kinda feel you are trying to make it look better than it is.

On a related note: I never did understand why pay on the least comfortable equipment should be lower than on more comfortable one.

I actually think it is only right that NetJets pays those on the light jet the same as those on the mid or large (I know about the long haul CPTs making more) and I actually think this should be the norm.

Yes, I know, more money is generally made with larger planes but this could be averaged out (a bit less for those on the heavy metal and a bit more for those on small stuff). Same is true for the airlines IMO

ZapBrannigan
04-02-2017, 02:59 AM
I don't have a dog in this fight. Never worked for Netjets, although I have many friends who do. I jumped from 121 to 91 corporate after 9/11 and back to 121 at SW a few years ago.

I'll say this, the grass always looks greener. Not everything that I had led myself to believe about WN ended up being true. It is a good job, but it isn't perfect, especially if you are junior and have young kids at home.

My advice to anyone looking to make the leap is to sit down with a WN pilot and talk with them about all of the little things beyond pay, retirement, and days off. Ask about flexibility to add, drop, or move flying or reserve days. Have young kids at home? Ask about how long before you can hold summer vacation. Ask about the cost of health insurance and how good the insurance is. Ask about lifestyle while on the road (hotel language, meals, etc) Ask what, if any, additional expenses must a pilot incur that are not reimbursed by the company. (Uniforms, bidding apps, parking, etc)

I think people tend to be blinded by pay, but they aren't realistic as to what it takes to get there. Yes, it is possible to exceed $100,000 at WN in year one, and $200,000 by year four or so. But that isn't just flying your line. The pilots making that kind of money are picking up extra flying and moving trips around to do as much of it as is possible. "Work smarter, not harder" is a thing... but only if you have the seniority horsepower to pull it off.

Personally, I like WN much more than I did flying corporate but there are a few things that I miss. Clean FBOs, warm cookies, crew cars, sleep rooms, expense accounts, keeping points, big chunks of time off.

So if you live in a WN base (other than ATL) and want to make the leap and you are an FO at NetJets, it's probably worth looking at. But take off the rose colored glasses, sit down with a WN pilot, and take pen to paper to write a pros/cons list to help you make as educated a decision as is possible.

That said, would love to see as many of you as is possible here, especially if you come to a Texas domicile! Maybe I could hold weekends off!

727C47
04-02-2017, 03:16 AM
I don't have a dog in this fight. Never worked for Netjets, although I have many friends who do. I jumped from 121 to 91 corporate after 9/11 and back to 121 at SW a few years ago.

I'll say this, the grass always looks greener. Not everything that I had led myself to believe about WN ended up being true. It is a good job, but it isn't perfect, especially if you are junior and have young kids at home.

My advice to anyone looking to make the leap is to sit down with a WN pilot and talk with them about all of the little things beyond pay, retirement, and days off. Ask about flexibility to add, drop, or move flying or reserve days. Have young kids at home? Ask about how long before you can hold summer vacation. Ask about the cost of health insurance and how good the insurance is. Ask about lifestyle while on the road (hotel language, meals, etc) Ask what, if any, additional expenses must a pilot incur that are not reimbursed by the company. (Uniforms, bidding apps, parking, etc)

I think people tend to be blinded by pay, but they aren't realistic as to what it takes to get there. Yes, it is possible to exceed $100,000 at WN in year one, and $200,000 by year four or so. But that isn't just flying your line. The pilots making that kind of money are picking up extra flying and moving trips around to do as much of it as is possible. "Work smarter, not harder" is a thing... but only if you have the seniority horsepower to pull it off.

Personally, I like WN much more than I did flying corporate but there are a few things that I miss. Clean FBOs, warm cookies, crew cars, sleep rooms, expense accounts, keeping points, big chunks of time off.

So if you live in a WN base (other than ATL) and want to make the leap and you are an FO at NetJets, it's probably worth looking at. But take off the rose colored glasses, sit down with a WN pilot, and take pen to paper to write a pros/cons list to help you make as educated a decision as is possible.

That said, would love to see as many of you as is possible here, especially if you come to a Texas domicile! Maybe I could hold weekends off!

Well said !!!

Learflyer
04-02-2017, 04:06 AM

Very well said! The same goes for the folks who say the airlines are "a million dollar career." Well...it is...If you can stay lucky and remain healthy, fiscally sound, married, and be able to keep your medical. Nothing's guaranteed. Enjoy the Journey. Lots of youngsters on here who haven't lived through the several down times we've had.

Jetlife
04-02-2017, 05:04 AM
Very well said! The same goes for the folks who say the airlines are "a million dollar career." Well...it is...If you can stay lucky and remain healthy, fiscally sound, married, and be able to keep your medical. Nothing's guaranteed. Enjoy the Journey. Lots of youngsters on here who haven't lived through the several down times we've had.

That's every company, every company is susceptible to downturns. Perspective is a unique and amazing thing, on both sides.

RhinoDriverF4F
04-02-2017, 05:06 AM

Best post Ive seen in a long time. Well said, thanks a lot for the honest info.

Out West
04-02-2017, 05:40 AM
What is WN?

ZapBrannigan
04-02-2017, 06:10 AM
Southwest two letter airline code

osuav8r
04-02-2017, 06:11 AM
What is WN?

WN is the IATA airline code for Southwest.

FLYLOW22
04-02-2017, 07:22 AM
I gotta ask: What's the point of the pics you keep posting? Do they add anything useful to the discussions? Yeah, the Phenom is kind of pretty but it is a very (!) uncomfortable work place. Tiny seats, no room to stretch your legs during flight, yoke hitting, kneecap, always a bent back while working in the cabin etc... So I kinda feel you are trying to make it look better than it is.

On a related note: I never did understand why pay on the least comfortable equipment should be lower than on more comfortable one.

I actually think it is only right that NetJets pays those on the light jet the same as those on the mid or large (I know about the long haul CPTs making more) and I actually think this should be the norm.

Yes, I know, more money is generally made with larger planes but this could be averaged out (a bit less for those on the heavy metal and a bit more for those on small stuff). Same is true for the airlines IMO

You don't like pictures?

Black and white sorta person?

Sorry... there's a big world out there... and also, I don't find the Phenom uncomfortable... but I'm 5'11". I'm in the jet as long as it takes to get out. No dilly. No dally.

Our pay is separated into two classes. Small Cabin and Large Cabin.

Large Cabin pays more. Lots more.

Cheers!!

FLYLOW22
04-02-2017, 07:28 AM

So, in a nutshell...

It's not all [emoji322] and [emoji304]?? It's just another job at WN? They just don't hand you money for nothing and [emoji213]s for free??

🤣🤣🤣[emoji31][emoji31][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

FLYLOW22
04-02-2017, 07:31 AM

Exactly... life on min guarantee because of $100/barrel will change perspective. And base. And equipment. And seat. And line holding status.

David Puddy
04-02-2017, 07:38 AM

Probably one of the better posts I've read in a looong while.... Very balanced.

Everyone needs to do what's best for them and their family situation. Instinctively, l would say STAY if you are flying the Latitude instead of the XL... 😜

In the end, I think you will have to work hard at both jobs. I know pilots at both and they are among the hardest working people I know. Netjets is a min-rest operation these days and SWA folks work hard but can maximize their income in the process. My SWA friends are generally happy when they are not flying 4-5 hour flights in the 737. 😄

If I were in your position considering my own personal circumstances (likely different from yours), I would move over to SWA if I could move to a base that worked for me and my family - no commuting over the long term (maybe initially if required). Living in base is key for QOL and sanity. To recover lost income from leaving NJA, you will likely have to hussle for a few years but you will probably catch up relatively quick.

But having flown the XL at NJA, you are used to working hard!!!! Good luck!

Macjet
04-02-2017, 09:00 AM
I absolutely hated working for NetJets and what it entailed but if you aren't willing to move to a WN base then I'd stay put where you are. You're working 19 days a month? That is INSANE but you'd be working just as many trying to commute to base. All the benefits of airline flying go out the widow once you start commuting.

Good luck.

Jetlife
04-02-2017, 01:11 PM
Exactly... life on min guarantee because of $100/barrel will change perspective. And base. And equipment. And seat. And line holding status.

If gas goes up to 100/barrel that would put NetJets in the red. Everyone suffers, not just the airlines.

Learflyer
04-02-2017, 01:38 PM
If gas goes up to 100/barrel that would put NetJets in the red. Everyone suffers, not just the airlines.

The difference is...the rich keep flying...the folks that use SWA and others would not.

Jetlife
04-02-2017, 01:39 PM
The difference is...the rich keep flying...the folks that use SWA and others would not.

That isn't necessarily evidenced by past economic events. Think luxury versus necessity.

ZapBrannigan
04-02-2017, 02:33 PM

I agree. In 08 my Fortune 500 employer flew even more as they tried to wring every last penny from the company stores and distribution centers. Discretionary spending at the airlines fell.

Maybe fewer trips to Aspen and Hilton Head, but more business travel overall.

Jetlife
04-02-2017, 02:37 PM
I agree. In 08 my Fortune 500 employer flew even more as they tried to wring every last penny from the company stores and distribution centers. Discretionary spending at the airlines fell.

Maybe fewer trips to Aspen and Hilton Head, but more business travel overall.

In 2008 NetJets furloughed almost 500 employees. I watched 2 135 outfits go out of business, as well as several flight schools and small operators. I know some departments flourished, but lots also closed their flight departments.

EMBskillz
04-02-2017, 05:49 PM
Year 3 FO here at NJ. 45 years old. Looking to jump to WN should the opportunity present itself. Dallas based so it'd be a great fit. App is in, and I'm one of the lucky 400 who'll be attending the in house pilot recruiting event later this month. We'll see what happens. It's the only app I have in. Not interested in AA. I'm happy at NJA, but making the switch is better for myself and my family over the long haul. I was a NO voter on our current CBA. Better than it was under Hansell but for new hire FOs, ehh not so much. Good luck to all!

SWA sounds good me. But curious, why "not interested" in AA? If you're Dallas based, wouldn't that make any very large airline based in Dallas, a no-brainer. As far as I can tell, AA has extreme seniority retirement in the coming few years. Just curious.

Macjet
04-02-2017, 06:53 PM
SWA sounds good me. But curious, why "not interested" in AA? If you're Dallas based, wouldn't that make any very large airline based in Dallas, a no-brainer. As far as I can tell, AA has extreme seniority retirement in the coming few years. Just curious.

The current AA contract is crap with a capital S. However, with management and the union wanting to reopen it and improve it so that AA can stay competitive with some serious retirements on the horizon they may very well be worth looking at soon.

FLYLOW22
04-02-2017, 07:52 PM

Mmmm. No.

That's called a fuel surcharge and it's covered by the contracts.

Next?

Macjet
04-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Mmmm. No.

Next?

And that cost is borne by the owner who has a limit as well. In 2008 when fuel prices went so high we had Ten owners using the Sovereign because the fuel surcharge was cheaper. We also had Sovereign owners who were using DAL/AA/UAL first class for their transcons because it was thousands of dollars cheaper instead of flying their share. Money isn't free, and except for the new money Marquis owners, those who have earned it and quite smart with it. If fuel goes back they will adjust their flying.

FLYLOW22
04-02-2017, 09:39 PM
And that cost is borne by the owner who has a limit as well. In 2008 when fuel prices went so high we had Ten owners using the Sovereign because the fuel surcharge was cheaper. We also had Sovereign owners who were using DAL/AA/UAL first class for their transcons because it was thousands of dollars cheaper instead of flying their share. Money isn't free, and except for the new money Marquis owners, those who have earned it and quite smart with it. If fuel goes back they will adjust their flying.

Crazy stuff!

It's a good thing that monthly management fees pay the salaries.

Hourly occupied go to a different bucket. Always a silver lining. Less flying, less wear and tear.

mainlineAF
04-03-2017, 04:53 AM

The current AA contract is not the greatest but it isn't terrible. The hourly rates are in the ballpark of everyone else. Profit sharing and min day pay need to be addressed in the next contract for sure.

If AA is a contender for you or anyone else I wouldn't wait for them to get a new contract before applying. The retirements and movement are starting now.

Hope all is well at NJ.

Jetlife
04-03-2017, 06:06 AM
Mmmm. No.

Next?

Oh I forgot, economic issues don't affect NetJets. Thanks!

Roper92
04-03-2017, 06:08 AM
The current AA contract is crap with a capital S. However, with management and the union wanting to reopen it and improve it so that AA can stay competitive with some serious retirements on the horizon they may very well be worth looking at soon.

Poor reasoning. The guy has many years left in his career. AA has mass retirements, variety of aircraft & flying and their pay & retirement isn't too shabby either.

EMBskillz
04-03-2017, 06:27 AM
Yeah, AA has the worst contract now (bankruptcy) so therefore it will be the bottom forever? Also, DAL, UAL, have hired quite a few more replacements to date. This forward logic is the reason why I enjoy listening to pilots dispense financial advice. Pilots know shiite. I don't know how much a Njets FO earns. I imagine the earning potential (AA vs NJ) favors AA. Living in base is a no-brainer. SWA is a great place tho. Never hear much bad about the working environment there. My friend at Atlas who pairs with the new-hires with very limited experience (2000 hrs) tells me the newbies looking to exit Atlas routinely list AA as a non-option. 😂. Mmmk guys.

Jetlife
04-03-2017, 08:40 AM
Earning potential favors just about every airline if you look at 30 year career earnings if you were to take a year 1 position at the respective companies. Retirement isn't even in the same ballpark, the airlines have that on lock down.

FLYLOW22
04-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Oh I forgot, economic issues don't affect NetJets. Thanks!

No. You're close... but missed by a mile again.

NJA is more affected by financial downturns affecting the DOW... not expensive oil exclusively, like 121 is.

NJA operating expense is contained like a shock absorber while the reason for the trip, however, is not. [emoji854]

FLYLOW22
04-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Earning potential favors just about every airline if you look at 30 year career earnings if you were to take a year 1 position at the respective companies. Retirement isn't even in the same ballpark, the airlines have that on lock down.

Of course, JetLife was watching Power Rangers during the last downturn... he doesn't remember an entire recession.

Everything changes... some for the worse, so,e for the better. Retirements have been awesome in the past until they were cancelled. They're awesome again... unless something else happens. Who shows what else... nobody. Not even JetLife.

JetLife has to diss NJA because he made the choice to leave. What's he going to say? "NJA is awesome so I left?" His job is to forever justify his decision to him... and to everyone else. The fact he's still on these boards is proof he's not 100% sure of his decision... or comfortable with it yet.

Give it one recession. The reality will sink in... for rich or for poor.

[emoji41][emoji41]

NJA Pilots have made significant gains in the 15 years many of us have been here. We weren't watching Power Rangers 15 years ago. We were flying and collective bargaining and making our lives better as a group. Pay has closed to within what 121 makes when not in times of growth with "green trips" being assigned left and right (100% override). Anyone in the business long enough knows that overtime like that doesn't last long... only in times of growth and training.

Then starts MIN guarantee or whatever you can get.

We're certainly on par with that equation. Better actually .

So far as retirement.... we're in a period of reinvestment right now to restock the equipment all around with new planes. New planes, few types, more efficient operations means more profits. More profits means a richer contract next time around.

Retirement will be addressed. No 121 carrier built their CBA in 3 contracts... they built it over time.

But you need to pay attention to history to understand that... not Power Rangers one year and flying the next acting like you understand airline and NetJets history simply because you just got there.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170403/72c43be142419c60aec3ab418518e06b.jpg

David Puddy
04-03-2017, 11:01 AM
What does all this Netjets sorority infighting have to do with the original question posted about leaving for Southwest? It's getting lame....

FLYLOW22
04-03-2017, 11:15 AM
The current AA contract is not the greatest but it isn't terrible. The hourly rates are in the ballpark of everyone else. Profit sharing and min day pay need to be addressed in the next contract for sure.

If AA is a contender for you or anyone else I wouldn't wait for them to get a new contract before applying. The retirements and movement are starting now.

Hope all is well at NJ.

Don't worry.

Warren is interested.

9% ownership already in AA.

He loves airlines... or the money they make with their credit cards issued to passengers.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170403/898f53b66153f61a351ceb0d63ab42cb.jpg

sherpster
04-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Dude, on the 366 day on property at United the pat, at min guarantee is close to $120k plus 16% for retirement. It would take how many years at nja to hit those numbers?

Jetlife
04-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Of course, JetLife was watching Power Rangers during the last downturn... he doesn't remember an entire recession.

Everything changes... some for the worse, so,e for the better. Retirements have been awesome in the past until they were cancelled. They're awesome again... unless something else happens. Who shows what else... nobody. Not even JetLife.

JetLife has to diss NJA because he made the choice to leave. What's he going to say? "NJA is awesome so I left?" His job is to forever justify his decision to him... and to everyone else. The fact he's still on these boards is proof he's not 100% sure of his decision... or comfortable with it yet.

Give it one recession. The reality will sink in... for rich or for poor.

[emoji41][emoji41]

NJA Pilots have made significant gains in the 15 years many of us have been here. We weren't watching Power Rangers 15 years ago. We were flying and collective bargaining and making our lives better as a group. Pay has closed to within what 121 makes when not in times of growth with "green trips" being assigned left and right (100% override). Anyone in the business long enough knows that overtime like that doesn't last long... only in times of growth and training.

Then starts MIN guarantee or whatever you can get.

We're certainly on par with that equation. Better actually .

So far as retirement.... we're in a period of reinvestment right now to restock the equipment all around with new planes. New planes, few types, more efficient operations means more profits. More profits means a richer contract next time around.

Retirement will be addressed. No 121 carrier built their CBA in 3 contracts... they built it over time.

But you need to pay attention to history to understand that... not Power Rangers one year and flying the next acting like you understand airline and NetJets history simply because you just got there.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170403/72c43be142419c60aec3ab418518e06b.jpg

For once can you respond to a topic or question like an adult instead of posting emojis that don't show up on the forum, or illrelevant pictures? At no point did I diss NetJets in my statement. We keep going around and around because you seem to have trouble with facts. It is unarguable that if you start year 1 at NetJets, or year 1 at a major, if all things stayed the same, your earning potential is greater at major. Sorry that offends you, I really am. Doesn't mean NetJets is a bad company, it has nothing to do with weighing the pros and cons on whether or not NetJets is a better fit for somebody or not. Stop adding curve balls to position NetJets differently from an earnings standpoint, I don't care about what the airlines were paying pilots pre 9/11, just like I don't care what you got paid when NetJets hired you. Compare numbers now. Does leaving NetJets make sense for you? No it doesn't, this thread isn't about you, spoiler alert.

You know why the airlines didn't build great CBAs with 3 contracts? Because they didn't vote in contracts that were extendable to 10 years. How many decades do NetJets pilots have to wait and say "yea but just wait until the next contract."

FLYLOW22
04-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Dude, on the 366 day on property at United the pat, at min guarantee is close to $120k plus 16% for retirement. It would take how many years at nja to hit those numbers?

I thought we were debating Jetlife's second thoughts on moving to Alaska.

Second thoughts cause he can't seem to make a clean break by just going and not continuing to trash talk on the way out.

He was here all of 2 years. Whooo hooo.

He didn't get UAL.

Jetlife
04-03-2017, 01:48 PM
I thought we were debating Jetlife's second thoughts on moving to Alaska.

Second thoughts cause he can't seem to make a clean break by just going and not continuing to trash talk on the way out.

He was here all of 2 years. Whooo hooo.

He didn't get UAL.

Sad that you can't separate facts from trash talk. But also not surprising.

FLYLOW22
04-03-2017, 01:49 PM
For once can you respond to a topic or question like an adult instead of posting emojis that don't show up on the forum, or illrelevant pictures? At no point did I diss NetJets in my statement. We keep going around and around because you seem to have trouble with facts. It is unarguable that if you start year 1 at NetJets, or year 1 at a major, if all things stayed the same, your earning potential is greater at major. Sorry that offends you, I really am. Doesn't mean NetJets is a bad company, it has nothing to do with weighing the pros and cons on whether or not NetJets is a better fit for somebody or not. Stop adding curve balls to position NetJets differently from an earnings standpoint, I don't care about what the airlines were paying pilots pre 9/11, just like I don't care what you got paid when NetJets hired you. Compare numbers now. Does leaving NetJets make sense for you? No it doesn't, this thread isn't about you, spoiler alert.

You know why the airlines didn't build great CBAs with 3 contracts? Because they didn't vote in contracts that were extendable to 10 years. How many decades do NetJets pilots have to wait and say "yea but just wait until the next contract."

I think you should read up on airline history.

After CBA 2005 by the way, we signed CBA 2007. That's nowhere near 10 years.

The current agreement is 5 years.

God you're so focused on trash talk you can't seem to recall facts.

FLYLOW22
04-03-2017, 01:49 PM
Sad that you can't separate facts from trash talk. But also not surprising.

Surprising...

To you?

I'll take that a an awesome compliment.

Do you know that your name is spoken in many circles still?

And I'm the one defending you.

Jetlife
04-03-2017, 01:50 PM
Current agreement 5 years, extendable another 5 years, exactly what I said, eyesight going? 2005 was the CBA, 2007 was the IBB to the 2005 CBA with the extension. When was the new contract signed? 2016, 9 years. ;)

Jetlife
04-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Surprising...

To you?

I'll take that a an awesome compliment.

Do you know that your name is spoken in many circles still?

And I'm the one defending you.

Oh I saw how my name is still spoken, outside of the bubble that is NetJets, nobody cares. The way you guys treat people who choose to leave is nothing short of astonishing. I love how Casey chose, like me, to say goodbye and try to leave on a good note, and the NJA troll squad jumped on him like they did me, only to have him literally tell another employee to f&^k off. Gotta kick people on their way through the door right?

FLYLOW22
04-03-2017, 01:55 PM
Oh I saw how my name is still spoken, outside of the bubble that is NetJets, nobody cares. The way you guys treat people who choose to leave is nothing short of astonishing. I love how Casey chose, like me, to say goodbye and try to leave on a good note, and the NJA troll squad jumped on him like they did me, only to have him literally tell another employee to f&^k off. Gotta kick people on their way through the door right?

There it is! That's the Jetlife we all miss!

Right there!!!

Sling it!!! Sling it!!!

727C47
04-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Guys, try to get along, we are all in the same game, just different teams, be cool , today is OPENING DAY : )!!!

727C47
04-03-2017, 02:18 PM
and the METS WON 6-0 !!!

727C47
04-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming: )

EMBskillz
04-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Don't worry.

Warren is interested.

9% ownership already in AA.

He loves airlines... or the money they make with their credit cards issued to passengers.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170403/898f53b66153f61a351ceb0d63ab42cb.jpg

Sweet, more financial analysis from a pilot.

Jetlife
04-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Sweet, more financial analysis from a pilot.

But he believes what he says, so it's right.

galaxy flyer
04-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Warren has already been in the airline business before, he didn't like it.

Warren Buffett US Air Investment (NYSE: LCC)

Warren Buffett US Air Investment (NYSE: LCC). Buffett regretted this US Air investment later; it was one of his few forays into the airline industry. In 1989, Buffett purchased $358 million of US Air preferred with 9.25% dividend, mandatory redemption in 10 years, and right to convert into common at $60 a share.

Structuring as a preferred afforded Buffett slightly more protection than if he were to buy straight equity in the event of bankruptcy. However, he would still be behind debtholders and risks a complete writedown to zero if the company runs into significant trouble and is not even able to repay all debtholders. The intrinsic problem with many airlines is that the airline industry as a whole has generated negative returns for shareholders the industry lacks genuine competitive advantages and is often reduced to brutal price competition. There is no true customer stickiness customers would willingly pick another airline if its airfare was cheaper. This lack of customer loyalty is accentuated by comparison sites like Expedia, Orbitz, Kayak and Travelocity.

Warren Buffett Investment in US Air the Aftermath

Although Buffett eventually made money on this investment, he almost lost all of it as US Air neared bankruptcy in the interim.

Buffett regretted this investment and would not have invested in retrospect. Once, when asked if he would do anything different if he could live his life all over again, Buffett noted, I would really do almost exactly what I have done except I wouldnt have bought US Air.

Buffett bought US Air because it was an attractive security. However, the airline industry as a whole was and continues to be far from attractive. Buffett shuns the airline industry in general, as it is a high fixed cost and highly competitive industry that has on the whole made negative returns for its investors.

Buffett once joked to a group of business school students, I now have an 800 number I call every time I think about buying a stock in an airline. I say, Im Warren and I am an air-aholic.

FLYLOW22
04-03-2017, 06:49 PM
But he believes what he says, so it's right.

Are you stating that WB doesn't own 9% of AA or are you talking to your woobie again?

FLYLOW22
04-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Warren has already been in the airline business before, he didn't like it.

This isn't a pure airline deal.

Credit cards laddie.

Think credit cards.

FLYLOW22
04-03-2017, 08:43 PM
Just because Jetlife has trust issues...

The link.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-31/airlines-make-more-money-selling-miles-than-seats

Jetlife
04-04-2017, 03:45 AM
I made no mention of what you said being valid or not. I believe it, of all the airline credit cards, the Alaska Skymiles card is one of the most popular, and it accounts for every third transaction in the PNW. I'm on board with that.

mainiac
04-04-2017, 06:23 AM
NJA Msg board and APC, just like the Brad Paisley song.

"I get home, I kiss my mom
And she fixes me a snack
I head down to my basement bedroom
And fire up my Mac,

I'm so much cooler online
So much cooler online..."

Lol 😎

FLYLOW22
04-04-2017, 07:02 AM
I made no mention of what you said being valid or not. I believe it, of all the airline credit cards, the Alaska Skymiles card is one of the most popular, and it accounts for every third transaction in the PNW. I'm on board with that.

I just thought I'd beat you to the "FACT CHECK??" call you'd invariably make by adding the link.

Now... that being said... you've admitted to the incredible traffic the Skymiles card gets in the PNW.

When pilot pensions were being cancelled at the Majors amid 9/11 financial fallout and filing of CH11 by several airlines, the income generated by credit cards was unreported from that generated (or lost) by those airlines operations to the bemoaning of several unionized pilot groups.

What makes you think that airline management (and Warren who is sniffing around right now) is going to share one penny of that money with labor? The only thing better than pay day is "pay every day"... Warren likes.

I bet they separate the credit card income to a separate company altogether.

ZapBrannigan
04-04-2017, 07:06 AM
This thread be like...

http://gph.is/28R6bEO

Jetlife
04-04-2017, 11:18 AM
I just thought I'd beat you to the "FACT CHECK??" call you'd invariably make by adding the link.

Now... that being said... you've admitted to the incredible traffic the Skymiles card gets in the PNW.

When pilot pensions were being cancelled at the Majors amid 9/11 financial fallout and filing of CH11 by several airlines, the income generated by credit cards was unreported from that generated (or lost) by those airlines operations to the bemoaning of several unionized pilot groups.

What makes you think that airline management (and Warren who is sniffing around right now) is going to share one penny of that money with labor? The only thing better than pay day is "pay every day"... Warren likes.

I bet they separate the credit card income to a separate company altogether.

You do realize that most airlines have profit sharing right? Another benefit NetJets doesn't have. So sharing the money so to speak, is occurring as we speak.

FLYLOW22
04-04-2017, 11:19 AM
You do realize that most airlines have profit sharing right? Another benefit NetJets doesn't have. So sharing the money so to speak, is occurring as we speak.

The profits you speak of weren't around for 15 years.

They won't last forever.

Better squirrel!

Jetlife
04-04-2017, 11:20 AM

They won't last forever.

Better squirrel!

Yep, better to not have it at all, ever. You're right.

FLYLOW22
04-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Yep, better to not have it at all, ever. You're right.

Again.... I'd rather have steady and constant that 110% to 0%.

You can live on steady and constant. You can write songs about boom to bust.

Jetlife
04-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Again.... I'd rather have steady and constant that 110% to 0%.

You can live on steady and constant. You can write songs about boom to bust.

Yea most get the constant, plus an addition. Are you really insinuating that you'd rather not get bonus money when the company makes money?

FLYLOW22
04-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Yea most get the constant, plus an addition. Are you really insinuating that you'd rather not get bonus money when the company makes money?

I'm not saying that bonuses are a bad thing. I'm saying that bonuses aren't permanent.

So enjoy them.

You cannot count on them.

Jetlife
04-04-2017, 11:25 AM
I'm not saying that bonuses are a bad thing. I'm saying that bonuses aren't permanent.

So enjoy them.

You cannot count on them.

Of course you can't.

FLYLOW22
04-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Of course you can't.

Spoken like a true Canadian Air Traffic Controller. 🤣🤣🤣

kingairfun
04-04-2017, 12:10 PM
Netjets was on top of the aviation world for maybe 2 years....

Prior to '05 it was a 2nd rate company that a bunch of furloughees ended up at. Between '05-'07 NJA couldn't keep FO's around

Between '07-late'08 it was the place to be

From '10-14 it was mess

Between '14 - present it's losing both Cpt's and FO's.

Airlines have had their issues every decade or so, but come on man, you act like Netjets is a shining star amongst a bunch of turd airlines.

Don't forget the next recession can happen at any time. Atleast the airlines are having massive retirements, which could stave off a furlough. What about Netjets?

Santulli isn't at the helm to be the loyal guy to employees during down times. What makes you think that the current president won't furloughee immediately once revenue slows down? Based on recent history, he may think twice about trying to save jobs.

On hiring and retirement numbers alone I'd say airlines are a safer bet. Unless you're at the tail end of a hiring wave (which is tough to tell based on retirements). Most guys hired at an airline over the last 5 years are closer to 50% than a guy at Netjets hired in '05.

For a guy who's company barely survived and hasn't grown in nearly a decade. And actually shrunk, you sure are awfully condescending.

ZapBrannigan
04-04-2017, 02:00 PM

They won't last forever.

Better squirrel!

Well there's one airline that has consistently paid profit sharing... some years more than others, but still...

You're more open minded than this. I know it for a fact.

FLYLOW22
04-04-2017, 02:01 PM
Well there's one airline that has consistently paid profit sharing... some years more than others, but still...

You're more open minded than this. I know it for a fact.

Yes!!

UPS and FEDEX!

FLYLOW22
04-04-2017, 02:07 PM

Prior to '05 it was a 2nd rate company that a bunch of furloughees ended up at. Between '05-'07 NJA couldn't keep FO's around

From '10-14 it was mess

Airlines have had their issues every decade or so, but come on man, you act like Netjets is a shining star amongst a bunch of turd airlines.

Don't forget the next recession can happen at any time. Atleast the airlines are having massive retirements, which could stave off a furlough. What about Netjets?

Santulli isn't at the helm to be the loyal guy to employees during down times. What makes you think that the current president won't furloughee immediately once revenue slows down? Based on recent history, he may think twice about trying to save jobs.

On hiring and retirement numbers alone I'd say airlines are a safer bet. Unless you're at the tail end of a hiring wave (which is tough to tell based on retirements). Most guys hired at an airline over the last 5 years are closer to 50% than a guy at Netjets hired in '05.

For a guy who's company barely survived and hasn't grown in nearly a decade. And actually shrunk, you sure are awfully condescending.

A few corrections.

The airlines hire until they furlough. Don't believe me? Just wait a tick. You'll see.

NJA is always going out of business when contract talks begin. Then we make record profit (for us).

As the airlines may have retirements to stave off furloughs this next round, we have aircraft rationalization. As we streamline the fleet, fewer pilots could be justified. Notice I said... could justify.

NJA had been great to many people... it has been very reliable for many through the worst of the airline recession. Remember? When 121 was begging the government for loans and grants post 9/11?

I remember that.

Most almost just stopped operating many routes... "there was no plan B"... only this time, it wasn't fluff.

During that period, we thrived.

Today, sales are brisk, many fleets sold out for months in advance. Months. Entire fleets. NJA dominates its market share more so than any single airline dominates its own.

The skies look fine ahead and the view is great.

PS. And you do realize that every single mature cost legacy carrier today basically started with some sketchy looking biplanes that flew mail or dusted crops, right?

ZapBrannigan
04-04-2017, 03:43 PM
So, basically you're saying that in your opinion he should stay?

Fair enough. You have added both your opinion and your expertise to the conversation. At the end of the day he will have a decision to make. It won't be an easy one. 15 years is a heck of a lot of time to invest in a company to give it up and take a gamble on something new. But it is his decision to make.

Hopefully this thread helps.

Marko
04-04-2017, 03:56 PM
Willing to move to base within 5 yrs or easy single hop commute: it's close to a no-brainer. Otherwise, comprise weighs heavy.

Jetlife
04-04-2017, 04:42 PM

From '10-14 it was mess

He was on the raw end of the stick when he was furloughed from the airlines (not trash talking, that freaking sucks and I have no idea how that personally feels) and was not furloughed when NetJets put 500 on the street. I can see why he hates on the airlines and not NetJets. It doesn't mean he is correct, and I fully disagree with him, but I see why he feels that way.

Your analysis on NetJets is spot on. That has nothing to do with the great people that work there, or that there aren't numerous positives to NetJets. But anyone starting a career that is 30+ years at NetJets or an airline, there is literally no evidence to suggest that NetJets is a safer bet from any angle.

Jetlife
04-04-2017, 04:44 PM
A few corrections.

The airlines hire until they furlough. Don't believe me? Just wait a tick. You'll see.

Uhhhh, so did NetJets in 2008, literally no difference.

FLYLOW22
04-04-2017, 05:38 PM

Except the frequency which furloughs happen in 121.

Can't ignore data.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170405/9b14072daa2c96a20f2a46300109d0cb.jpg

I posed the question "what's the furlough history at NJA" on our private boards.

Everyone remembers the last one... but there's a debate about the other one... in 53 years of operation.

Nobody had any concrete info they could recall.

That's huge. That means it is such a rarity, it's not worth remembering.

I can name 3 in the last 25 years at most 121 carriers.

FLYLOW22
04-04-2017, 05:44 PM

Huge difference dude.

NJA thrives on the DOW almost exclusively

121 thrives on so many other things... any of which can create or prolong a furlough.

1) Terror
2) Fuel
3) Economy
Etcetera

Jetlife
04-04-2017, 05:52 PM
You can't compare fairly, a company that would take anyone that could fog a mirror in 2001 because nobody wanted to work there until the airlines took a dump, to the entire airline industry. Also, not all airlines have furloughed, doesn't mean they are any less susceptible to furloughing in the future than NetJets. NetJets doesn't win this game. There is no evidence to suggest NetJets is safer from furlough, in fact the opposite. If seniority is everything (which it is), your ability to build seniority at NetJets is drastically less because of the slow movement. If they furlough the same amount again, guys that have been there over 12 years would get put on the street.

You are probably safe, which is why it is smart for you to stay, I totally get that. But a new hire has a completely different outlook for a multitude of reasons. Just as you caught the wrong end of the wave at the airlines, those hired 2007 and beyond have caught the wrong end of the wave at NetJets. You rode the wave at NetJets, while others are riding the wave in the airline industry, it is all relative.

Jetlife
04-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Huge difference dude.

NJA thrives on the DOW almost exclusively

121 thrives on so many other things... any of which can create or prolong a furlough.

1) Terror
2) Fuel
3) Economy
Etcetera

NetJets can fall to any of those things, its all airplanes and people paying money to fly them. In fact the airlines have done more to prevent another fuel price disaster by investing in that industry.

FLYLOW22
04-04-2017, 06:06 PM
You can't compare fairly, a company that would take anyone that could fog a mirror in 2001 because nobody wanted to work there until the airlines took a dump, to the entire airline industry. Also, not all airlines have furloughed, doesn't mean they are any less susceptible to furloughing in the future than NetJets. NetJets doesn't win this game. There is no evidence to suggest NetJets is safer from furlough, in fact the opposite. If seniority is everything (which it is), your ability to build seniority at NetJets is drastically less because of the slow movement. If they furlough the same amount again, guys that have been there over 12 years would get put on the street.

You are probably safe, which is why it is smart for you to stay, I totally get that. But a new hire has a completely different outlook for a multitude of reasons. Just as you caught the wrong end of the wave at the airlines, those hired 2007 and beyond have caught the wrong end of the wave at NetJets. You rode the wave at NetJets, while others are riding the wave in the airline industry, it is all relative.

Well,

Finally you stop talking in absolutes.

Yes, I'd say for my position I'm very safe to stay. I've matched income with my 121 peer group for most of the 12 years I've been a Captain. Only at Delta and SWA had anyone in my group upgraded.

We have work to do still but thank goodness I'm not afraid to roll my sleeves up. Never have been.

As for a newhire.... mmmmm. There's so many scenarios out there. I hate to talk in absolutes for every situation. You should hate to as well.

Aviation can change in a heartbeat. And does.

FLYLOW22
04-04-2017, 06:08 PM
NetJets can fall to any of those things, its all airplanes and people paying money to fly them. In fact the airlines have done more to prevent another fuel price disaster by investing in that industry.

Yes.

When there's a terrorist attack, we sell out of capacity. Full jets everywhere!

When the economy takes a hit, we adjust and see a smaller cabin emphasis.

When fuel goes up, we don't cut routes... results vary but fuel is just a cost of flying. Our folks have the deepest pockets and if there's flying to be done, we do it. That deal needs done and a gas bill won't keep the trip from happening if it's critical.

Jetlife
04-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Except the frequency which furloughs happen in 121.

Can't ignore data.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170405/9b14072daa2c96a20f2a46300109d0cb.jpg

I posed the question "what's the furlough history at NJA" on our private boards.

Everyone remembers the last one... but there's a debate about the other one... in 53 years of operation.

Nobody had any concrete info they could recall.

That's huge. That means it is such a rarity, it's not worth remembering.

I can name 3 in the last 25 years at most 121 carriers.

It is huge, that is a great track record for NetJets. But again, the airlines that have never furloughed, still run the risk of furloughing in the future, just as NetJets.

FLYLOW22
04-04-2017, 06:11 PM
It is huge, that is a great track record for NetJets. But again, the airlines that have never furloughed, still run the risk of furloughing in the future, just as NetJets.

I think I've heard several times from people worth listening to that a furlough in the future is extremely unlikely. None of the group calling the shots now was involved with 2008 and there have been several contingencies put in place to minimize personnel impacts going forward.

Many lessons were learned let's say.

Jetlife
04-04-2017, 06:11 PM
Yes.

When there's a terrorist attack, we sell out of capacity. Full jets everywhere!

When the economy takes a hit, we adjust and see a smaller cabin emphasis.

When fuel goes up, we don't cut routes... results vary but fuel is just a cost of flying. Our folks have the deepest pockets and if there's flying to be done, we do it. That deal needs done and a gas bill won't keep the trip from happening if it's critical.

That is an assumption on both sides of the coin. NetJets can't grow right now, and it is losing market share. Having another terrorist attack isn't gonna cause those who fly Spirit to reach deeper into their pockets and pay 3 million dollars for a Phenom share.

FLYLOW22
04-04-2017, 06:12 PM
That is an assumption on both sides of the coin. NetJets can't grow right now, and it is losing market share. Having another terrorist attack isn't gonna cause those who fly Spirit to reach deeper into their pockets and pay 3 million dollars for a Phenom share.

No. My statements are actually factual. We don't even pretend to acknowledge Spirit passengers.

Think first class... but only the ones tolerating it.

Jetlife
04-04-2017, 06:13 PM
I think I've heard several times from people worth listening to that a furlough in the future is extremely unlikely. None of the group calling the shots now was involved with 2008 and there have been several contingencies put in place to minimize personnel impacts going forward.

Many lessons were learned let's say.

I hope it never happens, I am not saying it will happen, but it absolutely can happen. I have friends from several airlines that kept the letters from their respective CEOs promising that they will not furlough during the downturn for any reason. They also have the furlough letters following that letter....

FLYLOW22
04-04-2017, 06:15 PM
I hope it never happens, I am not saying it will happen, but it absolutely can happen. I have friends from several airlines that kept the letters from their respective CEOs promising that they will not furlough during the downturn for any reason. They also have the furlough letters following that letter....

No one promised me anything but a long career in 121 when hired at 23.

That was not the truth.

Jetlife
04-04-2017, 06:15 PM
No. My statements are actually factual. We don't even pretend to acknowledge Spirit passengers.

Think first class... but only the ones tolerating it.

Spirit made twice as much as NetJets last year...

Jetlife
04-04-2017, 06:17 PM
No one promised me anything but a long career in 121 when hired at 23.

That was not the truth.

It was absolutely the truth for a large percentage of those who went 121.

Those furloughed at NetJets were probably told that they would never see another furlough, and they could kiss the airline industry goodbye.

FLYLOW22
04-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Spirit made twice as much as NetJets last year...

Spirit never had NJAs debt load. Spirit?? Really man??

And it's like flying rape to fly on them.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170405/2c9107806af269b92c074446446ab6e9.jpg

Apples to bovine comparison.

Jetlife
04-04-2017, 06:19 PM
I have never flown on them, but from a revenue generating standpoint its an interesting discussion.

FLYLOW22
04-04-2017, 06:57 PM
I have never flown on them, but from a revenue generating standpoint its an interesting discussion.

There's always a party on F9 and Spirit.

Every red eye I've been on either, I put all of my things away before napping.

The clientele is... unique.

ZapBrannigan
04-05-2017, 01:08 AM
Just as you caught the wrong end of the wave at the airlines..

Just want to clarify a point. Flylow and I did NOT catch the wrong end of the wave at the airlines. We were hired at the beginning of the wave . The airline hadn't hired in 7 years and I was in the SECOND new hire class after which they hired 100 pilots per month until I had 1,167 pilots junior to me - 20% of the airline.

Then 9/11 happened and Rakesh Gangwal decided that was a convenient excuse to eliminate several narrow body fleet types in favor of RJs. DC9, F100, MD80, 737-200... all gone.

They furloughed down to me, and well beyond until everyone who remained on the property had been a Captain at one time. That isn't an ordinary furlough.

THEN, while we were on furlough, ALPA decided that would be a good time to extend the retirement age to 65 - further lengthening our furlough.

So, in fairness, we caught the very beginning of the 1999 hiring wave. We just hitched our cart to the wrong horse. Had it worked out, we both would have retired in the single digit seniority numbers.

It took me 8 years in corporate before I decided to give 121 another try (like Flylow I declined the recall) and then not until my Part 91 department laid off 10% of ITS pilots, out of seniority order with no possibility for recall.

Sometimes even riding the wave perfectly doesn't guarantee anything.

727C47
04-05-2017, 02:10 AM

I get you but don't cheerlead for them, I have a lot of buds from the Detroit freight mafia flying for them, it's an ok gig by them but they are embarrassed by the product, they laugh about it too, why do you haunt these boards ? Just curious , if you are so happy at Spirit ?

FLYLOW22
04-05-2017, 03:12 AM
Just want to clarify a point. Flylow and I did NOT catch the wrong end of the wave at the airlines. We were hired at the beginning of the wave . The airline hadn't hired in 7 years and I was in the SECOND new hire class after which they hired 100 pilots per month until I had 1,167 pilots junior to me - 20% of the airline.

Then 9/11 happened and Rakesh Gangwal decided that was a convenient excuse to eliminate several narrow body fleet types in favor of RJs. DC9, F100, MD80, 737-200... all gone.

They furloughed down to me, and well beyond until everyone who remained on the property had been a Captain at one time. That isn't an ordinary furlough.

THEN, while we were on furlough, ALPA decided that would be a good time to extend the retirement age to 65 - further lengthening our furlough.

So, in fairness, we caught the very beginning of the 1999 hiring wave. We just hitched our cart to the wrong horse. Had it worked out, we both would have retired in the single digit seniority numbers.

It took me 8 years in corporate before I decided to give 121 another try (like Flylow I declined the recall) and then not until my Part 91 department laid off 10% of ITS pilots, out of seniority order with no possibility for recall.

Very good recap.

Jetlife
04-05-2017, 06:04 AM
I get you but don't cheerlead for them, I have a lot of buds from the Detroit freight mafia flying for them, it's an ok gig by them but they are embarrassed by the product, they laugh about it too, why do you haunt these boards ? Just curious , if you are so happy at Spirit ?

Oh I am not, I would be embarrassed too. I could never work for a place that I didn't respect. I am not at Spirit lol. So if somebody works for the company the thread is about, they aren't haunting the boards?

Jetlife
04-05-2017, 06:07 AM

Yea I didn't put it correctly. I meant it more from a hiring/furloughing standpoint. Only way to see if the timing was right is hind sight. Caught the good end of the hiring wave, but the bad end of the furloughing wave. And it doesn't guarantee anything that was my point. There is no such thing is complete and total job security in any job.

hkdguy
04-05-2017, 06:51 AM
Thanks to everyone that helped.

You know who you are...

ZapBrannigan
04-05-2017, 08:29 AM
Let us know what you decide.

Finny McCool
04-05-2017, 10:32 AM
I didn't read through all this and have no desire to get involved in the back and forth. But if you want to talk to someone who left a senior Captain position with NJA for SWA send me a PM. Sorry I don't check this site often, but I'll eventually get back to you.

Das Auto
04-05-2017, 11:02 AM
I didn't read through all this and have no desire to get involved in the back and forth. But if you want to talk to someone who left a senior Captain position with NJA for SWA send me a PM. Sorry I don't check this site often, but I'll eventually get back to you.

Can't you share it on here. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion. Any regrets?

hkdguy
04-05-2017, 11:05 AM
What about leaving Netjets for JetBlue?

Anyone...

Jetlife
04-05-2017, 11:06 AM
What about leaving Netjets for JetBlue?

Anyone...

There are quite a few who left NJA for JB, I will direct one in here to see if he can share the pros and cons.

pugpilot
04-05-2017, 01:41 PM
I recently left NJA for JB and have no regrets.

Financially, I'll make up the difference in year 2 and going forward JB kills NJA on pay (even without a CBA and that will only widen the gap).
The flying is much less tiresome. Did a 15.5 hour 2 day trip this week (with an 18 hour overnight in LGB) and felt fine. I wouldn't be able to say the same if it were in the Phenom.
Commuting will be the biggest detractor, but there are 26 flights today from DCA - BOS so I think I'll find a way. Going forward, there is a lot of schedule flexibility to add/drop/swap and I'll end up working fewer days than on the NJA 7/7 (even with commuting and for significantly more $$)

It is easy to get comfortable at NetJets, particularly if you choose to live in a smaller city (or farther away from base) where commuting would be prohibitive.
If you live east of the Mississippi and are an FO looking at another 10+ years in the right seat, I'd bail no question. If you are already an NJA captain, it is tough to say without knowing what the JB contract is going to be.

If anyone wants to get into specifics, feel free to PM.

727C47
04-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Netjets, poor Netjets so unloved , yet it remains an object of fascination for those who depart , why am I so happy here? There must be something deeply wrong with me !!! : ) LOL

Jetlife
04-05-2017, 04:11 PM
You are happy there because NetJets fulfilled the things that are important to you, that is what you want out of a job and that is freaking awesome. But to say NetJets remains an objet of fascination by those that leave is disingenuous.

727C47
04-05-2017, 04:21 PM
No brother it's amusing , interesting, and slightly pathological: ) I go back to my freight dog threads to reminisce, and to praise, not to criticize, and find fault with my former employer. But to each their own.

Jetlife
04-05-2017, 04:41 PM
Problem is, there are those who take a critical analysis and call that trash talking. Just because somebody says something critical, doesn't mean it's trash talk.

BuckeyeFO
04-05-2017, 05:46 PM
No brother it's amusing , interesting, and slightly pathological: ) I go back to my freight dog threads to reminisce, and to praise, not to criticize, and find fault with my former employer. But to each their own.

I'm not back to reminisce. I'll keep popping up in these threads to keep guys from falling for the same BS that I did. Lucky for me I only wasted 1 year of my life before jumping to Southwest.

The vast majority of people who are looking at these threads are trying to figure out if they should apply to Netjets. Mr251 :rolleyes: doesn't have a clue what an applicant is going to face career wise at Netjets. He just wants someone to say "wow you were smart to not take your USAir recall, Netjets is the best".

DAL, AA, UAL, SWA, Alaska, JB, G4, and maybe even F9 are all better places to be than walking into 2017 Netjets. With no mandatory retirement and no bypass pay, Netjets is purgatory.

I'm not sure why anyone working at a regional that has flow or that is already a captain would have any interest in becoming a lifetime FO at Netjets.

FLYLOW22
04-05-2017, 07:07 PM
Netjets, poor Netjets so unloved , yet it remains an object of fascination for those who depart , why am I so happy here? There must be something deeply wrong with me !!! : ) LOL

Exactly.

I'm on day 7 today in the Phenom. Am I to expect to suddenly come down with something? Get the shakes?

Maybe it just takes a tougher individual to fly such a smaller jet?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

My 8 year old whines less and all these dudes still hanging out here after leaving is akin to calling an ex girlfriend... and expecting new and different result.

"Dude... it wasn't for you. You look bad hanging out here".

Especially BuckyFO...

727C47
04-05-2017, 07:28 PM
I'm not back to reminisce. I'll keep popping up in these threads to keep guys from falling for the same BS that I did. Lucky for me I only wasted 1 year of my life before jumping to Southwest.

The vast majority of people who are looking at these threads are trying to figure out if they should apply to Netjets. Mr251 :rolleyes: doesn't have a clue what an applicant is going to face career wise at Netjets. He just wants someone to say "wow you were smart to not take your USAir recall, Netjets is the best".

DAL, AA, UAL, SWA, Alaska, JB, G4, and maybe even F9 are all better places to be than walking into 2017 Netjets. With no mandatory retirement and no bypass pay, Netjets is purgatory.

I'm not sure why anyone working at a regional that has flow or that is already a captain would have any interest in becoming a lifetime FO at Netjets.

My wife is a 9 year FO at SWA, these threads , and you gents, amuse her to no end, and amuse me too to tell the honest truth. You keep on, keeping on. : )

Finny McCool
04-06-2017, 07:44 AM

My wife is a 9 year FO at SWA, these threads , and you gents, amuse her to no end, and amuse me too to tell the honest truth. You keep on, keeping on. : )

I don't mind talking to people and giving them my perspective as someone who made the move. I've spoken to many over the phone. While I'm not going to spend a lot of time reading this forum, I'm a little surprised your wife would waste one minute doing so.

By the way, if people with low self worth hadn't lived on the Union board arguing to pass such a worthless contract maybe there wouldn't be so many who invested so much time there looking for an exit.

727C47
04-06-2017, 08:38 AM
I don't mind talking to people and giving them my perspective as someone who made the move. I've spoken to many over the phone. While I'm not going to spend a lot of time reading this forum, I'm a little surprised your wife would waste one minute doing so.

By the way, if people with low self worth hadn't lived on the Union board arguing to pass such a worthless contract maybe there wouldn't be so many who invested so much time there looking for an exit.

She doesn't we were just laughing about it the other day , she has better things to do , I just relayed the gist of the threads , we are a SWA/ Netjets family , and are familiar with the pros and cons of both. Gods grace we are happy . Low self worth? You really are a tool McCool : ) Cheers out .

Jetlife
04-06-2017, 09:07 AM
I know that no company is perfect, and SWA is absolutely not the end all be all. But all things being equal, would you rather be at NetJets than SWA? I am legitimately asking the question since your wife works there, you have the first hand knowledge of both companies side by side.

727C47
04-06-2017, 09:56 AM
Legitimately our life works best with me at NJA with a predictable schedule, no commuting, and great insurance, I genuinely enjoy the job, and it works best for mia familia, if I were to return to 121 it would not be the pax side, I'm a freight dog at heart ❤️: )

MikeF16
04-07-2017, 05:09 AM
I have no idea why this thread caught my eye since I don't even read the fractional section, must've been a current post or something. I have 0 part 91 experience, just mil and 121 but hopefully I can add.

You need to know yourself. Commuting isn't for everybody, it can be stressful and time consuming. If you're very type A and like control of your life then commuting will feel like a stick in your eye. That 12 day per month schedule with (potential) double uncommutable trips is now 16-20 days. Certainly not all airlines, not all fleet types, not all seniorities, but it does happen in a worst case scenario. Add in hotels or a crash pad plus restaurants and your costs go up considerably. You're a little older than me, when I was 1st hired I did the NYC crash pad and my #1 take was I'm too effing old to be in a GD crash pad, but crappy airport hotels can be $200 a night in NYC and LA, what can you do? Now, if you're the laid back type who just rolls with everything then this is a nonfactor. If you move into base also a nonfactor.

The majors have significantly higher earning potential, at DAL we've got guys who aren't even out of initial training holding NYC MD88 captain. Of course that category is going away but the point is if you are just looking for cash then there's a pile to be made at the majors. I've seen all the charts people have posted about previous furloughs, that's your gut check. Anybody who claims to know what the future holds is fooling themselves, past performance has zero bearing on what will happen in the next 10 years, maybe there will be another black swan and the industry will got to shlt, maybe the hiring boom coupled with the retirement wave will mean unprecedented pilot earnings. Very long term I think NJ has more viability than any major airline since (IMO) at some point the entire industry as we know it will be ruined by either the ME3, flag of convenience carriers, or technology that eliminates 1 or both pilots from the equation. I said very long term, probably not applicable to your personal decision.

Once you're at work, I'm pretty sure you guys work a lot harder than 121 guys. I sign in, fly the plane, have very little interaction with the customers, and take company arranged transpo to and from a company arranged hotel. Flying the plane could mean I'm on a NB and I'm doing a 14 hour day with 5 legs and changing planes every time I touch ATL, or it could be a single leg transcon or international leg that includes 2 meals and a sleep break. As mentioned previously I don't qualify for any perks, points, or loyalty bonuses. When the trip is done I go home and don't think about it again until the next trip begins.

Good luck with your decision.

727C47
04-07-2017, 05:30 AM
I have no idea why this thread caught my eye since I don't even read the fractional section, must've been a current post or something. I have 0 part 91 experience, just mil and 121 but hopefully I can add.

You need to know yourself. Commuting isn't for everybody, it can be stressful and time consuming. If you're very type A and like control of your life then commuting will feel like a stick in your eye. That 12 day per month schedule with (potential) double uncommutable trips is now 16-20 days. Certainly not all airlines, not all fleet types, not all seniorities, but it does happen in a worst case scenario. Add in hotels or a crash pad plus restaurants and your costs go up considerably. You're a little older than me, when I was 1st hired I did the NYC crash pad and my #1 take was I'm too effing old to be in a GD crash pad, but crappy airport hotels can be $200 a night in NYC and LA, what can you do? Now, if you're the laid back type who just rolls with everything then this is a nonfactor. If you move into base also a nonfactor.

The majors have significantly higher earning potential, at DAL we've got guys who aren't even out of initial training holding NYC MD88 captain. Of course that category is going away but the point is if you are just looking for cash then there's a pile to be made at the majors. I've seen all the charts people have posted about previous furloughs, that's your gut check. Anybody who claims to know what the future holds is fooling themselves, past performance has zero bearing on what will happen in the next 10 years, maybe there will be another black swan and the industry will got to shlt, maybe the hiring boom coupled with the retirement wave will mean unprecedented pilot earnings. Very long term I think NJ has more viability than any major airline since (IMO) at some point the entire industry as we know it will be ruined by either the ME3, flag of convenience carriers, or technology that eliminates 1 or both pilots from the equation. I said very long term, probably not applicable to your personal decision.

Once you're at work, I'm pretty sure you guys work a lot harder than 121 guys. I sign in, fly the plane, have very little interaction with the customers, and take company arranged transpo to and from a company arranged hotel. Flying the plane could mean I'm on a NB and I'm doing a 14 hour day with 5 legs and changing planes every time I touch ATL, or it could be a single leg transcon or international leg that includes 2 meals and a sleep break. As mentioned previously I don't qualify for any perks, points, or loyalty bonuses. When the trip is done I go home and don't think about it again until the next trip begins.

Well thought , Well said brother. : )

RhinoDriverF4F
04-08-2017, 06:32 AM

Man, what an excellent post. Best post yet on any of the NetJets forums. Thanks for a "simple and straight forward" insight.

Fly safe

G550Guy
04-12-2017, 12:57 AM
15 year captain earning $170,000 a year...

That's less than my second year FO pay at UPS.

I was a 13 year Captain at NJ, 49 married with kids... I have never looked back or regretted my move. I do miss my friends I made and wish all the best for those that stay.

FLYLOW22
04-12-2017, 05:54 AM
That's less than my second year FO pay at UPS.

I was a 13 year Captain at NJ, 49 married with kids... I have never looked back or regretted my move. I do miss my friends I made and wish all the best for those that stay.

And then...

He aged horribly with night flying and trips to China and left them all 10 years too early.

Always a catch.

Jetlife
04-12-2017, 05:56 AM
And then...

He aged horribly and left them all 10 years too early.

Seniority actually counts for something at UPS, he'll be just fine.

FLYLOW22
04-12-2017, 06:44 AM
Seniority actually counts for something at UPS, he'll be just fine.

And how exactly would you propose seniority is used at NetJets?

Besides vacation and aircraft type?

Flyfalcons
04-12-2017, 06:46 AM
We need to get to the point of seniority being worth something with regard to aircraft type, before we look beyond (training week, sim slot, etc).

FLYLOW22
04-12-2017, 07:00 AM
We need to get to the point of seniority being worth something with regard to aircraft type, before we look beyond (training week, sim slot, etc).

Would be awesome.

Bid for slot would be a win win

Jetlife
04-12-2017, 08:16 AM
And how exactly would you propose seniority is used at NetJets?

Besides vacation and aircraft type?

That isn't the point. He can bid his schedule at UPS and fly the trips his seniority can hold. What seniority gets at a NetJets is irrelevant to him, he doesn't work there anymore. I know both UPS pilots and FedEx pilots who fly mostly day trips, not every freight or cargo pilot only flies on the backside of the clock all the time. And if their seniority can hold it, they can hold it.

Seniority doesn't get you as much at NetJets because of the way the scheduling system is designed, and that's the way it is.

G550Guy
04-13-2017, 01:14 AM
He aged horribly with night flying and trips to China and left them all 10 years too early.

Because NetJets never flies at night, flips your body clock twice in one week... or gives you 14 hours rest after crossing the Atlantic and sends you back to TEB. :smirk

typed as I enjoy my 36 hour layover in EDDK.

727C47
04-13-2017, 04:48 AM
Gentlemen, gentlemen, try to get along : ), for the record I'm a freight dog at heart , God bless you G550 guy, if I ever return to 121 it will be cargo not pax, peace, love , and many 1/7's to you , Cheers out !!!

G550Guy
04-13-2017, 05:30 AM
for the record I'm a freight dog at heart , God bless you G550 guy, if I ever return to 121 it will be cargo not pax, peace, love , and many 1/7's to you , Cheers out !!!

Bro... UPS would love to have a guy like you. They have hired 8 of us so far. Myself and my training partner were the first ones... the company realizes NJ pilots are of superior quality and attitude, and it is paying off, they are interviewing more every month. PM me... you should at least run the numbers and look into it. You have the experience and attitude they are looking for.

GeeWizDriver
04-13-2017, 06:21 AM
Bro... UPS would love to have a guy like you. They have hired 8 of us so far. Myself and my training partner were the first ones... the company realizes NJ pilots are of superior quality and attitude, and it is paying off, they are interviewing more every month. PM me... you should at least run the numbers and look into it. You have the experience and attitude they are looking for.

C'mon amigo...I KNOW you really miss the Hazmat, 14/10's and the ditz fom Seattle collecting your empty Fiji bottles!

Look, NetJets ain't for everybody. But for some folks, it actually works.

I've learned how to deal with silliness from the brain trust in CMH (WAIT until you've given them enough time to realize the idiocy, THEN call if you still have to fix it). And I've learned to care a little less....

I actually LIKE the 7-7. It allows me to work a second job that I love (it sure ain't for the money) that I could never do if I worked airline patterns. And short of a medical or military leave, NONE of the airline pilots I know can take 35 straight days off like I'll be doing starting next Wednesday.

I LOVE the two airplanes I fly and hope to milk this fleet to retirement (no later than 65 BTW).

And even though we'd all like to make more money, I earn enough to support myself and my better half in a manner well beyond the ability of most Americans. The great folks I work with at the other job bust their humps for $12-21 an hour, 22-26 days a month and are always smiling, laughing, and joking. That's a routine reality check for me.

For me, the toughest part about working at NJ is watching hard-working FO's languish while their employer (and their union, frankly) diddles away their career future. If I were an FO at NJ, my atttitude about the job would be completely different and I probably would be looking HARD for the ejection handle.

But Jetlife seems to want to apply HIS bad experience at NJ to EVERYBODY and makes no allowance for the fact that some people actually LIKE the gig.

BoilerUP
04-13-2017, 06:30 AM
short of a medical or military leave, NONE of the airline pilots I know can take 35 straight days off like I'll be doing starting next Wednesday.

I'll get 28 days off by using two weeks of vacation starting late May. I potentially could have had six consecutive weeks off, on a domestic fleet, had I bid appropriately this bid (I needed certain days off) and can easily have 35 days off if I bid appropriately next bid.

I've been here less than 3 years.

Not trying to weenie-measure, but rather offer perspective as to what is available at certain airlines depending on work rules.

BuckeyeFO
04-13-2017, 07:02 AM
For me, the toughest part about working at NJ is watching hard-working FO's languish while their employer (and their union, frankly) diddles away their career future. If I were an FO at NJ, my atttitude about the job would be completely different and I probably would be looking HARD for the ejection handle.

But Jetlife seems to want to apply HIS bad experience at NJ to EVERYBODY and makes no allowance for the fact that some people actually LIKE the gig.

THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING. This message board is primarily for people who are looking for a new job. The union message board is for current employees of Netjets.

So when people ask questions of NetJets - it is not about life as a captain bc they aren't hiring them. They are hiring people to sit in the right seat for 20 years. Jetlife has never said that captains don't have it good, he's always talked about HIS situation and pushed back against the FlyLows ridiculous assertions about NJA is the best job around and every airline is teetering on collapse.

A million times over - don't come to Netjets and think you'll ever be more than an FO.
Go to a regional, go to an LCC, try for a Major.
For the vast majority of professional pilots - you'll have a better career.

ZapBrannigan
04-13-2017, 07:22 AM
I'll get 28 days off by using two weeks of vacation starting late May. I potentially could have had six consecutive weeks off, on a domestic fleet, had I bid appropriately this bid (I needed certain days off) and can easily have 35 days off if I bid appropriately next bid.

I've been here less than 3 years.

Not trying to weenie-measure, but rather offer perspective as to what is available at certain airlines depending on work rules.

Yup. I can easily get 22+ days off per week of vacation. I'm in year three. Trips that touch vacation drop with partial pay. No PBS at SW.

Last fall I had two weeks of vacation separated by a week. As a result I was able to take off most of October and the first week and a half of November.

GeeWizDriver
04-13-2017, 07:36 AM
THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING. This message board is primarily for people who are looking for a new job. The union message board is for current employees of Netjets.

So when people ask questions of NetJets - it is not about life as a captain bc they aren't hiring them. They are hiring people to sit in the right seat for 20 years. Jetlife has never said that captains don't have it good, he's always talked about HIS situation and pushed back against the FlyLows ridiculous assertions about NJA is the best job around and every airline is teetering on collapse.

A million times over - don't come to Netjets and think you'll ever be more than an FO.
Go to a regional, go to an LCC, try for a Major.
For the vast majority of professional pilots - you'll have a better career.

I have to agree with you. Any yet, I was recently approached by a prominent staff member at the other job on behalf of a pilot friend asking about getting hired at NetJets.

His friend is 34, 7300 total time, 5000 PIC/Multi, and 800 turbine currently working for a small freight-forwarding operation. I explained that career progression and pay would be MUCH better going the airline route, but he STILL wants to work for NJ. Even after I explained he would be an FO for a minimum of 12-15 years.

The proverbial different strokes...

GeeWizDriver
04-13-2017, 09:57 AM
Vacation week 5 currently of 12 this year.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170413/94c8ff167bf8a79f6c9474f73ba02f1c.jpg

You're 8 feet away from the NJI crew lounge at the Cabo Hilton...

Remind me to tell you that story sometime.

Marko
04-13-2017, 09:57 AM

Actually, it's week 2 of 4. Those other weeks you were going to be off anyway. Coconuts to coconuts, mon.

Jetlife
04-13-2017, 10:15 AM
C'mon amigo...I KNOW you really miss the Hazmat, 14/10's and the ditz fom Seattle collecting your empty Fiji bottles!

Look, NetJets ain't for everybody. But for some folks, it actually works.

I've learned how to deal with silliness from the brain trust in CMH (WAIT until you've given them enough time to realize the idiocy, THEN call if you still have to fix it). And I've learned to care a little less....

I actually LIKE the 7-7. It allows me to work a second job that I love (it sure ain't for the money) that I could never do if I worked airline patterns. And short of a medical or military leave, NONE of the airline pilots I know can take 35 straight days off like I'll be doing starting next Wednesday.

I LOVE the two airplanes I fly and hope to milk this fleet to retirement (no later than 65 BTW).

And even though we'd all like to make more money, I earn enough to support myself and my better half in a manner well beyond the ability of most Americans. The great folks I work with at the other job bust their humps for $12-21 an hour, 22-26 days a month and are always smiling, laughing, and joking. That's a routine reality check for me.

It is sad that me largely defending myself against FLYLOW22 has given me that perception. That sucks because that's not me. Hell I flew with FLYLOW22 and we had a great tour IMO and no captain I have flown with would call me a bitter, grumpy, owner-hating pilot. I gave myself that rep online and I have to live with it.

But if this is a thread about getting hired and what to expect as a new hire, the position of a 15 year captain could not be more irrelevant to the conversation at hand.

Of my new hire class, 3 have left, and the last 90% are actively looking to leave. Yes NetJets works for some, but when 90% of a class finds out it wont work for them after a year on property, what does that say about the company for a new hire? I has happy to be hired there, happy I accepted the position, and I am happy to have NetJets on the resume. A few days ago I saw a NetJets Phenom 300 land while I was flying an Extra 300 and it made me smile. I had enjoyable moments and I met some amazing people. Hell, our new hire class has a group chat and we literally all talk daily, and they are great friends.

I know it is easy to enclose ones self into a bubble, I do it just as much as FLYLOW22 does it, but 90% of my "bashing" is misconstrued and is merely offering realistic information. If my experience was unique to me, then nobody else would feel the same way. Hell, almost half of the 3/2015 class is already gone.

Jetlife
04-13-2017, 10:33 AM
There will be no 20 year FOs

We haven't enough grandpas on the SL to make that happen.

Just as retirements kicked up at the majors, NJ will start to see its own wave. These retirements will happen for a multitude of reasons, not simply age restrictions; unless an age restriction is imposed by FAA or some other entities.

Age 67 seems to be the drop off of medically induced retirements.

We do have pilots that stay longer, much longer but they are far fewer in number.

You may not agree with my assertions but hey, I don't agree with yours.

And that's fine.

There are no retirements to "kick" in at NetJets. The majority of pilots are in the 45-50 range. There are large percentages that are older too but to imply that most here are on the cusp of retirement to fuel upgrades is incorrect. There are too many that want to fly until they die, so yes some will drop off at 63, some will drop off at 75.

I am not sure there will be 20 year FOs there but right now, taking all considerations in, that is more likely than it is to have 5 year FO's upgrading anytime soon. Guys are sitting year 12 and won't upgrade this year, not with the 5 upgrades proposed. And even if they bumped up to 50 upgrades a year, the most junior FO on property would be a 20 year FO before upgrade.

Jetlife
04-13-2017, 01:47 PM
Own what? What would you like me to take ownership of?

Flyfalcons
04-13-2017, 02:23 PM

How do you get 21-day stretches off on the 76 day schedule?

BuckeyeFO
04-13-2017, 04:35 PM
We have 5 year FOs??

No we don't.

No, you don't have 5 year FOs....because Netjets didn't hire anyone for almost 8 years and furloughed about 25% of the pilots.

But in 3 years when there are 5 year FO, they'll still be 10+ years away from upgrading.

Jetlife
04-13-2017, 04:39 PM
No, you don't have 5 year FOs....because Netjets didn't hire anyone for almost 8 years and furloughed about 25% of the pilots.

But in 3 years when there are 5 year FO, they'll still be 10+ years away from upgrading.

He knows what I meant, he would rather try to focus on a technicality than the reality. Since I have to explain it, what I meant was, an FO hired now, isn't upgrading in 5 years, it ain't happening, like it literally and physically cannot happen, the company couldn't upgrade 200 a year and even if they did 100 a year, the most junior FO hired today would see a 15 year upgrade.

GeeWizDriver
04-13-2017, 07:02 PM
Do you know the seagulls are brown here?

Dude, WHAT are you doing on HERE when you're THERE?

The story involves bikini clad FA's, an especially fetching Hollywood starlet, and tequila. Go forth and party and leave bickering on the board to those of us stuck in Meridian, Mississippi and the like...

Jetlife
04-14-2017, 09:46 AM
There's an occasional minute for this entertainment. Lol.

It's awesome to read.

People who don't work here telling people who do work here how it really is.

Lol!!

Gotta get to a massage!! Oh yeah!!!

See I think a 15 year captain at NetJets coming into a "leave NetJets" thread on APC when he has no intention of leaving and especially no intention of even comparing NetJets to the thought of leaving, is way more absurd than somebody who worked for NetJets, left, and is commenting on a leave NetJets thread.

Gotta love how you spin things though.

Jetlife
04-14-2017, 10:33 AM
Why don't you go contribute to a thread about your future?

Virgin... Alaska... and how you intend on surviving the next wave I've lost deregulatory consolidation when Alaska is identified as a takeover candidate.

Talk amongst your new peers...
we'll be selling shares like hot cakes here.

You do know, that you can want NetJets to succeed, without wanting the airline industry to fail right? Your immature, bitter nature to the airlines is really silly. Do you think I want NetJets to fail because I am no longer there? Absolutely not...

And you won't be selling 650 shares like hot cakes, NetJets can't give those away. You would think when everyone else is absolutely killing it with growth, revenue, and profits, that NetJets would be doing the same, nope. Frontier made more on baggage fees ALONE than NetJets made in total net. But no, please keep comparing NetJets, who furloughed 20% of their workforce, recalled them 3 years ago and barely turned a profit in 2016 to two companies that have never furloughed and a company that buys their aircraft cash, it's really entertaining to read.

Jetlife
04-14-2017, 10:49 AM
Standby for news about the 650s. Those were never part of this EMTs decision making.

I want the airlines to do well. I need them to go to and from tours. And I do not want my friends feeling pain at work. We're a large family/friend structure.

Bit, those of us know the downturn always follows the upswings. Usually, it's brought on by $100 barrel oil, not a financial downturn.

We all know what happens then... and it sucks. Not nearly as much for NJA as it does 121. The other factors mentioned previously have either reared their ugly heads before and there's track history on them or the writing is more or less on the wall.

I hate these truths as much as anyone should. Our differences lie in the fact that you don't seem to want to believe me. And it's fine. Time will teach.

All of those things you mention regarding Alaska... yeah... those are target rich environments for takeover.

Cash cash cash is king.

You want your perceived manifestation of a future downturn to come true so you can say "see told ya so!" which is quite perverse. Its insane really. And again, here come these pesky old facts again so brace yourself. Written history would disagree with you about NetJets being impervious to economic issues. An economic downturn is more likely than another terrorist attack, and NetJets is in no position to survive another market crash like 2008. So you can compare NetJets to 121 and not all airlines furloughed, but NetJets definitely did.

Management says things like "we aren't planning on furloughing" and "if we hired more we would have to furlough." You don't say those things to the worker bees if your balance sheet is solid. NetJets is on the rebound but they are probably the more vulnerable than they have ever been to any economic issues and clearly there are no plans to expand by management, they aren't able to hire and train, and pad staffing levels for future growth, those signs point to high vulnerability. Not saying there aren't airlines that are operating the exact same way, but you can't act like the NetJets s*&t don't stink.

Jetlife
04-14-2017, 11:33 AM
NetJets didn't thrive from a terrorist attack. Did NetJets sell out durin the Oklahoma City bombing? No they didn't. NetJets benefited from the airline industry being severely crippled, nothing more, nothing less. So another airline shattering terrorist attack would benefit NetJets, ok then. How many major terrorist attacks have occurred on US soil versus how many severe economic downturns? You are betting on a terrorist attack to save NetJets? How freaking sick are you?

Yep I was born in 82, and and you were having your parents wipe your ass in 82, you were no more privy to the airline industry than I was so save the jabs. You are proof positive that experience doesn't equal intelligence. NetJets has followed the economic ups and downs just like the 121 industry 2008 proved that. But unlike the airline industry, NetJets still hasn't recovered.

Learflyer
04-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Whatever bros. We all have the same goal in mind no matter where we work...Try to stay sane and healthy during the working years, and save enough money to enjoy retirement.

Jetlife
04-14-2017, 01:08 PM
And most do that when leaving a former employer without continuing to trash it.

There's a term called burning bridges.

Not that he will come back... but... it's a small industry.

Stop taking everything as trash talking. How about you stick to the union MB if you are looking for a circle jerk. This is a thread about LEAVING NETJETS.

If realistic views on a company are not allowed, and that is considered burning bridges, so be it.

Finny McCool
04-14-2017, 07:22 PM
How does that song go? "Still bats hit crazy after all these years."

727C47
04-15-2017, 04:45 AM
Guys give it a rest, this thread is becoming like a union message board....

GeeWizDriver
04-15-2017, 05:18 AM
Guys give it a rest, this thread is becoming like a union message board....

Naw, it won't be truly toxic until the Shrub arrives to start pontificating on how right he was, is, and ever shall be....

GeeWizDriver
04-15-2017, 08:23 AM
Wait, we have elections in this "union"?

Hahahahahaha!!!

ZapBrannigan
04-15-2017, 12:19 PM
And most do that when leaving a former employer without continuing to trash it.

There's a term called burning bridges.

Not that he will come back... but... it's a small industry.

I trashed my former employer and specifically one chief pilot who I just didn't get along with. I regret it, but it's really hard not to fight back when you feel as though you've been wronged.

I've finally put it behind me, but it took awhile. [emoji17]

Jetlife
04-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Maybe JetLife will.

Maybe he won't.

All of us hope he does and wish nothing but happiness and some adherence to the old adage "momma always said if you can't say something nice, drink scotch".

Just move on and embrace the next chapter... that's what I would say. Don't look back. You didn't like the view from any angle before. He won't now.

But the x girlfriends neighborhood is so much fun to drive through one... more... time!

Says the guy who continually goes into threads comparing NetJets to other jobs, and accuses others of not being able to move on and trash talking. You have neither worked at SWA, nor left NetJets so your relevance in either thread is minimal. Grow thicker skin and realize that if somebody doesn't like a company, that is their personal choice, and when somebody posts on a public forum asking for comparisons to aid them in a decision, giving pros and cons is what people do, the cons are not trash talking, they are cons.

BuckeyeFO
04-15-2017, 05:17 PM
Fly's fulltime job is to convince perspective FOs to have no self worth and convince them to take 60% of market pay. Otherwise, at the next contract the company will have to take money away from captains and move it into the FO pay to try and stop the revolving door.
Their best bet will be taking FOs with no 121 experience, from small market cities, and at least 1 DUI.

"The pie is only so big" is all we heard during negotiations. Those captains aren't leaving, even if they cut their pay 20% in a few years.

Macjet
04-15-2017, 07:03 PM
Does anyone else think FlyLow and JetLife had a Broke Back Mountain moment on an overnight? I'm ready to block both of you alpha holes.

kingairfun
04-16-2017, 09:02 AM
Ive got a buddy thinking of leaving Netjets for Mesa...

Any thoughts

BuckeyeFO
04-16-2017, 09:34 AM
Ive got a buddy thinking of leaving Netjets for Mesa...

Any thoughts

The sooner he leaves the better.

727C47
04-16-2017, 11:09 AM
Sure Buckeye , you're about as fair and unbalanced as Fox,but to answer my old furloughmate KingAir if he needs PIC, wants the 121 time , and can get in as a direct entry captain ,turn and burn as soon as he can , it could be a plan , but what do I know I flew DC3's for 10 years by choice: ) Happy Easter , Aloha. : )

kingairfun
04-16-2017, 12:41 PM
Sure Buckeye , you're about as fair and unbalanced as Fox,but to answer my old furloughmate KingAir if he needs PIC, wants the 121 time , and can get in as a direct entry captain ,turn and burn as soon as he can , it could be a plan , but what do I know I flew DC3's for 10 years by choice: ) Happy Easter , Aloha. : )

Was just trying to see if Flylow would respond..:)

Jetlife
04-16-2017, 01:25 PM

If you want, I can type a completely irrelevant sentence, followed by pure condescension, then posting 3 emojis that never show up on APC so it says [emoji17], then I can post a picture of a Phenom and say "keep driving around your girlfriends house!"

727C47
04-16-2017, 02:46 PM

HA !!! Cheers brother: )

lpcunity
04-24-2017, 09:44 AM
NJA is a good job. I was hired in Oct of '06 and left in Dec '14. I was an FO in the Encore the entire time. I was tired of flying the Encore and burnt out. I understand upgrades are still painfully far away. There are times I wonder why I left. I miss all the time off I was getting at NJA. I don't remember what weekends off are like. NJA takes care of its pilots. Amazing health insurance, home basing, good 401k, good aircraft,hotel/airline points, credit card points, uniform allowance, and pretty good pay. Not to mention the crew meals. The crew meals at NJA were amazing compared to what I'm eating in the cockpit now. I understand the pains of a NJA FO. I was one for a long time. My job in the 73 is way easier than what I was doing at NJA and I'm happy I made the move. I just wanted to chime in and provide my view of leaving. NJA is a great job and there are aspects that I miss dearly. No job is perfect unless you're Dave Rastovich.

Jetlife
04-24-2017, 09:53 AM
NJA is a good job. I was hired in Oct of '06 and left in Dec '14. I was an FO in the Encore the entire time. I was tired of flying the Encore and burnt out. I understand upgrades are still painfully far away. There are times I wonder why I left. I miss all the time off I was getting at NJA. I don't remember what weekends off are like. NJA takes care of its pilots. Amazing health insurance, home basing, good 401k, good aircraft,hotel/airline points, credit card points, uniform allowance, and pretty good pay. Not to mention the crew meals. The crew meals at NJA were amazing compared to what I'm eating in the cockpit now. I understand the pains of a NJA FO. I was one for a long time. My job in the 73 is way easier than what I was doing at NJA and I'm happy I made the move. I just wanted to chime in and provide my view of leaving. NJA is a great job and there are aspects that I miss dearly.

Well said. I can only guess that because you said 73, and crew meals, that you work for SWA. Hopefully they step their crew meal game up, I have heard it is pretty bad.

sherpster
04-24-2017, 10:22 AM
at NJA you will work half the weekends. You seem to infer that you are working more than 2 weekends a month at your current gig. How is that possible?

lpcunity
04-24-2017, 10:27 AM
at NJA you will work half the weekends. You seem to infer that you are working more than 2 weekends a month at your current gig. How is that possible?
I go to work on Friday and come home on Sunday or Monday. That's how the lines are built that my seniority can hold.

BuckeyeFO
04-24-2017, 10:54 AM
But you'll eventually get more weekends off, work fewer days, and make way more money. The only downside is the initial schedule and commuting for some guys.
edit: and better crew meals

Jetlife
04-24-2017, 11:06 AM
I get missing all the secondary perks of the job (hotel points, airline points etc) but if you added all that up, that equals about 2,000 bucks a year.... That shouldn't be a reason to make a go or no go decision.

727C47
04-24-2017, 11:21 AM
But you'll eventually get more weekends off, work fewer days, and make way more money. The only downside is the initial schedule and commuting for some guys.
edit: and better crew meals
Right , why don't you tell him how he feels : ) you are a stitch Buckeye

727C47
04-24-2017, 11:24 AM
NJA is a good job. I was hired in Oct of '06 and left in Dec '14. I was an FO in the Encore the entire time. I was tired of flying the Encore and burnt out. I understand upgrades are still painfully far away. There are times I wonder why I left. I miss all the time off I was getting at NJA. I don't remember what weekends off are like. NJA takes care of its pilots. Amazing health insurance, home basing, good 401k, good aircraft,hotel/airline points, credit card points, uniform allowance, and pretty good pay. Not to mention the crew meals. The crew meals at NJA were amazing compared to what I'm eating in the cockpit now. I understand the pains of a NJA FO. I was one for a long time. My job in the 73 is way easier than what I was doing at NJA and I'm happy I made the move. I just wanted to chime in and provide my view of leaving. NJA is a great job and there are aspects that I miss dearly. No job is perfect unless you're Dave Rastovich.
Hey , you can't write anything positive in this thread , didn't you read the TOS ? My wife is a SWA FO , she echoes a lot of what you say , both are very good jobs , cheers brother: )

Finny McCool
04-24-2017, 11:28 AM
He works for Alaska. I'm holding weekends off if I want them after one year. They're not important to me yet I had every Friday off and two full weekends this month.

To each his own. If you like the crew meals at NJ then it will be a loss. If you are like me and ate them out of necessity, not so much.

Jetlife
04-24-2017, 11:29 AM
Hey , you can't write anything positive in this thread , didn't you read the TOS ? My wife is a SWA FO , she echoes a lot of what you say , both are very good jobs , cheers brother: )

I get what you're saying, but Buckeye is correct, it will get better for him. Has nothing to do with NetJets or not. The more senior he gets the more control he will have. It's a step back now in that department but quality will improve over time.

Jetlife
04-24-2017, 11:32 AM
He works for Alaska. I'm holding weekends off if I want them after one year. They're not important to me yet I had every Friday off and two full weekends this month.

To each his own. If you like the crew meals at NJ then it will be a loss. If you are like me and ate them out of necessity, not so much.

The meals on Virgin are really good, so hopefully Alaska adopts that.

727C47
04-24-2017, 11:51 AM

Her experiences are germane to the topic in general : )

David Puddy
04-24-2017, 05:14 PM

Wow - no movement from the Encore? Did you have the ability to bid off it to an XL or Phenom and just decided not to? That's rough but I hear the Encore didn't fly as much as some of the other fleets....... Probably still roomier up front than the Phenomenal! :D:eek::cool:

MWilliams
04-25-2017, 06:16 AM
A pilot hired in October of 2006 did not have the seniority to hold any open bid until the spring of 2016. As of now that seniority will get you into the Challenger 350, Latitude or Phenom.

Jetlife
04-25-2017, 09:58 AM
The Encore didn't fly as much as the other fleets so it was probably better to stay on it rather than bid out.

727C47
04-25-2017, 10:26 AM
The Encore didn't fly as much as the other fleets so it was probably better to stay on it rather than bid out.

Same, same ( gradually ) happening on the XL : )

Jetlife
04-25-2017, 10:28 AM
Same, same ( gradually ) happening on the XL : )

I don't envy anyone on the Phenom or Lat. Those are unbreakable slave ships that will outlast the energizer bunny. Its nice to see the XL guys get a break haha.

clemb8
04-25-2017, 12:53 PM
Does anyone know if it is true that there will be no more new hire classes for the remainder of the year?

Jetlife
04-25-2017, 01:28 PM
I just took the family to Baja MX for 7 days.

Free except the taxes I had to pay to fly free on SWA to get there.

I didn't even dent my point bank.

I'd say that's worth more than $2000 a year.

Summer vacation coming up.

Free and free.

Fall vacation planned.

Free.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170425/1ff65aba6aca12ca329a9c2180bad25b.jpg

Ok, even if it's 5,000 a year which I think it isn't, it's a nice perk but is pretty weird to use as a comparison as to the positives and negatives to leaving a job.

Jetlife
04-25-2017, 01:29 PM
Does anyone know if it is true that there will be no more new hire classes for the remainder of the year?

That's what my buddies were saying. Goes in line with the plan to shrink. Shrinking in fleet size and that means no hiring. Attrition will hopefully take care of the the excess of pilots so they don't have to furlough.

Jetlife
04-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Oh no.

I provide the info to expose you as a NetJets hater.

That's all.

And it's a great perk.

Don't get butthurt, it wasn't hating in the least bit.

Jetlife
04-25-2017, 01:40 PM
Not shrinking, just reducing employee size, fleet size, MX size lol.

Marko
04-25-2017, 03:45 PM
That is the scuttlebutt. And that it is a temporary pause, but probably for many months. Sorry.

Roper92
04-25-2017, 03:48 PM
Free FBO coffee/snacks and hotel points do not pay the mortgage nor put kids through college.

Jetlife
04-25-2017, 03:50 PM
Free FBO coffee/snacks and hotel points do not pay the mortgage nor put kids through college.

True, but you can take 10 pictures of all the stuff the FBO offers, like a psychopath, and use it on a forum to show why an Alaska Airlines pilot is worse off than a NetJets pilot lol...

727C47
04-25-2017, 05:09 PM
Guys , it's all good , really it is, I LOVED 121, loved it ( a 727 ,what's not to love ?), and I groove on this frac thing too. Strive to be happy . I think if you all met face to face the tenor of the conversation would be mucho different.

Jetlife
04-25-2017, 06:40 PM
And why would a Virgin pilot spend time on a NetJets board unless he was acting like a stalker driving past the ex girlfriends house?

Pathetic really.

No pathetic is roaming around the FBO on one of the many airport appreciation assignments you get, taking pictures of food to make condescending comments to former co workers. You just can't let anyone say any piece of reality without getting massively butthurt.

kingairfun
04-25-2017, 11:44 PM
You miss them.

How is Sparro for lunch btw?

Whats Sparro?.

Usually stop and grab either a prime rib sandwhich or sushi before the flight. May or may not eat the crew meal, which is usual as good or better than most NJA food. Especially Rudy's....

I don't mind paying for my meal because it's only 4 or 5 times a month, and at double the salary of a NJA FO it doesn't bother me too much. And with the 15-17 days off a month I can eat whatever I want most of the month. Oh and day 1 of work I eat breakfast and lunch at home, on day 3 I eat lunch and dinner at home.

Am not too impressed with FBO cookies or snacks because I am not 22 anymore so don't salivate over the free FBO snacks. Plus in a 6 hr typical duty day I am in the plane for 5 hrs. Not much sitting around in FBO's or airports.

Sorry your time at the airlines sucked so bad.. Or maybe you just ate too much Sparro??:)

727C47
04-26-2017, 01:47 AM
DTW has some kick butt real restaurants in the main terminal including a very good sushi place, JFK,EWR , same, same, try to be nice guys, FBO snacks are not good for you : )

CA1900
04-26-2017, 06:53 AM
Wow - no movement from the Encore? Did you have the ability to bid off it to an XL or Phenom and just decided not to?

Not sure how bidding the Phenom would be an improvement, but yeah, someone hired in late 2006 hasn't had the opportunity to bid a more comfortable cockpit (Latitude or Challenger 350) until less than a year ago. Until just a couple of years ago, all the open bids for the large cabin right seats went to captains voluntarily downgrading.

CA1900
04-26-2017, 06:54 AM
I don't envy anyone on the Phenom or Lat. Those are unbreakable slave ships...

The Latitude is a slave ship, yes. Unbreakable? Not even a little bit. :D It's still a Cessna, after all. Now that Challenger 350, on the other hand...

CA1900
04-26-2017, 07:00 AM
Healthier you say? Fair enough. Here's a close up of a nice crew meal from yesterday....

Oh, how I wish even 10% of them looked that good!

For comparison, this was mine:

http://i.imgur.com/7UQkfEp.jpg

I guess you could call it a "low carb" breakfast burrito... they forgot the tortilla. :o

Macadamia nut, white chocolate, cranberry.

The best.

Those damn things are why I'm on a diet now. :D

Jetlife
04-26-2017, 07:15 AM
You miss them.

How is Sparro for lunch btw?

I don't eat Sparro, you go through the same terminals on your way to driving the slave ship. You know what restaurants are in terminals now. It's way easier to eat good food during the day as an airline pilot than it is as a NetJets pilot, typically. If the crew meals don't cut it at NJA it can be hard to get a good meal during the work day, not impossible but hard.

Jetlife
04-26-2017, 07:24 AM
Rudy's lost the contract.

Oops.

How's Sparro and China King?

Dude there is seriously something wrong with you. The guy just finished explaining and gave legitimate points and it's honestly really sad that you can't just read and acknowledge them. Don't act like you don't go though some of the same terminals we do. This is a crazy concept I know, but you CAN admit when somebody says a counterpoint that makes sense to your arguement. I've had both NetJets crew food and food bought in a terminal, and the hysterical thing is, so have you. NetJets pilots hop airlines at least twice a tour and you eat the same food in the terminal. If you eat Sparro and think crew food at NetJets is amazing, well that's because you don't know what real food is.

727C47
04-26-2017, 08:03 AM
Guys, guys, ayyyyy , carumba....

Jetlife
04-26-2017, 08:58 AM
Now now... don't start screaming like a Berkeley Snowflake.

You'll lose credibility. You can't back up your ridiculous claims. Your claims aren't even valid for new fleet crews... not by a long shot. You're so incorrect in your claims that you resort crazy blabbering about anything you can think of rather than counter pointing. But hey... you know everything since you've left us.

Snowflakism.

Mid tour airlines may be higher in legacy fleets but that will curtail in 3 years. I average a mid tour airline once every three tours.

What Sbarro do you like? Pepperoni? Veggie? You strike me as a veggie guy.

Ps... another lap around the ex friends house.

Vrooom. Vroom.

I'll take being a Berkeley snowflake over being a flyover state mouth breather any day. Enjoy eat rat meat sandwiches and cleaning up other people's filth 6 times a day. I'm sure the "reshaping" of the company size (I won't dare call it downsizing lol) will work out for you. Big things are coming in 8 more months so don't fill up on FBO cookies!

Flyfalcons
04-26-2017, 09:08 AM

We are shrinking so that is entirely possible.

Jetlife
04-26-2017, 09:14 AM
We are shrinking so that is entirely possible.

Don't call it shrinking! FLYLOW22 will need a safe space

David Puddy
04-26-2017, 11:28 AM
The Latitude is a slave ship, yes. Unbreakable? Not even a little bit. :D It's still a Cessna, after all. Now that Challenger 350, on the other hand...

How do you guys define a "slave ship?" How does that translate in terms of typical sectors per day, min rest, etc.?

Does the Latitude offer more room up front? Or is it similar to the XL, Sovereign and X in terms of "limited" comfort? If the Latitude is so busy, what are the benefits to flying it over the other fleets?

ZapBrannigan
04-26-2017, 11:51 AM
And you enjoy flying the public filth and unwashed masses. "Juicy" booty sweat pants and pillow carrying snowflakes.

Geez dude. Hurting MY feelings now. (As if all of the crew meal talk wasn't enough!)

Don't alienate ALL of your old airline friends. We really want to still like you. [emoji6]

Jetlife
04-26-2017, 11:56 AM
Geez dude. Hurting MY feelings now. (As if all of the crew meal talk wasn't enough!)

Don't alienate ALL of your old airline friends. We really want to still like you. [emoji6]

Ironically, he IS the the public filth twice a week at least, as a ticketed passenger in the back getting to and from the Phenis. And he cleans the filth of the elite 6 times a day. Don't mind him, Kit Darby was so mean to him, he will never recover.

Jetlife
04-26-2017, 12:00 PM
How do you guys define a "slave ship?" How does that translate in terms of typical sectors per day, min rest, etc.?

Does the Latitude offer more room up front? Or is it similar to the XL, Sovereign and X in terms of "limited" comfort? If the Latitude is so busy, what are the benefits to flying it over the other fleets?

Operationally, the Lat and Phenom are really efficient and reliable. The phenom has the highest dispatch reliability (or did before I left) so your chances of getting stuck somewhere because the plane can't move are very slim, and your chances of recovering for another fleet that can't do their trip, is very very good. That means you typically won't stop moving until you legally can't anymore.

Finny McCool
04-26-2017, 01:31 PM
Just finished an awesome Italian meal with a bud out here in LA on my 18 hour overnight. I might get hungry on the way to PIT during my 5.4 hour duty day so I grabbed a Jersey Mike's. I like Jersey Mike's. To each his own.

Zap, you have some crazy friends. Or at least one.

ZapBrannigan
04-26-2017, 01:42 PM
Zap, you have some crazy friends. Or at least one.

I have quite a few actually. This one is just insulting my livelihood to prop up his own.

I'll kick him in the nads next time I see him.

ZapBrannigan
04-26-2017, 03:30 PM
Oh man does that look good. [emoji30]

Nobody likes a showoff.

Jetlife
04-26-2017, 03:49 PM
I have 9 days off. Enjoy your 32 legs this tour.

The Pho was great today.
http://i63.tinypic.com/1zwc5c8.jpg

So sorry that nobody has apologized for the last 15 years to you today. You sure do many everyone suffer by applying Leiberal logic to anyone that says anything remotely unpositive about NetJets. We all know you have the blinders on and hey if that's how you wanna roll that's cool. You can always send Kit an email and voice your concerns.

727C47
04-26-2017, 03:56 PM
So this is how you two spent your day ? Back and forth ? You both have really jumped the shark : )

BravoPapa
04-26-2017, 05:56 PM
I have 9 days off. Enjoy your 32 legs this tour.

The Pho was great today.
http://i63.tinypic.com/1zwc5c8.jpg

My favorite soup. I actually had a bowl yesterday.

Jetlife
04-26-2017, 08:04 PM
9 days off?? That sounds like MIN GUARANTEE to me.

That's because you worked for **** commuters 15 years ago. That's why it sounds like min guarantee to you.

Jetlife
04-26-2017, 08:06 PM
My favorite soup. I actually had a bowl yesterday.

It was so good. And it proves the point that everyone, not just a NetJets pilots, have the ability to purchase food outside of their company provided meals, crazy concept!

Finny McCool
04-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Man who are you trying to fool low? Yourself? You need help. Still.

Jetlife
04-27-2017, 07:26 AM
A major airline at age 23. Your were a teenager watching Power Rangers.

Try again.

Had it not been for 9/11, the past 15 would have been different for all of us.

Try again.

Wrong.

Stop making us all suffer through your crap because the industry was mean to you.

Jetlife
04-27-2017, 07:32 AM
Dude... you're off from work... this is about the quality of crew food at NetJets vs Virgin. This debate was about the quality of crew food a few pages back. You stated that the crew food is "wonderful" at Virgin and sucks here. You provide no actual photos of crew food at Virgin but hold fast to the claim.

Typical for JetLife.

Wrong again.

Wrong.

You'd state anything negative about NetJets and I'm not sure why. To justify you decision to leave? To take parting shots because it makes you feel like more of a man? You're bored on reserve making MINIMUM GUARANTEE?

How's Sbarro while working? Cheese slice?

Another trip around the house of the ex for JetLife.

Most people when they decide to take up new employment just go... and never look back. Not JetLife.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170427/d0e4ab6f259b16695eea30fb2e1526d7.jpg

PS I've had wonderful food, of course, purchased with per diem or international while on receipts.

You remember receipts don't you??

Just pretty much but whatever 3 meals a day and submit receipts?? Again... why pay out of pocket for food why the company pays for it as part of the CBA??

Of that's right... Virgin has good crew food too. Lol.

Wrong? No not at all. These lobster rolls you post is food that's iterally has nothing to do with NetJets. You're on an overnight and you bought food. You want some sort of recognition for that? Guess who can buy food on an overnight, EVERYONE. Getting meal deviations is a result of being given INEDIBLE crew food, the very food you were using to argue against the airlines a few pages ago. You really have something wrong with you.

The crew meals here have been good, overall much better on average from NetJets. I could care less, if the food sucks I'll go buy food like an adult.

Dude I left NetJets 8 weeks ago and this is a LEAVE NETJETS thread. The airline industry crapped on your chest 15 freaking years ago and you can't let it go. You're delusional, and hypocritical and insecure, and it shows.

kingairfun
04-27-2017, 08:50 AM
I'm not the one bringing up all the negative like Eeyore, JetLoaf.

I'm posting pictures of all the wonderful food we don't have to spend a dime on at NetJets contrary to all your sorrows of hot NetJets made you butt hurt cause it was so bad to you.

You just aren't wired to work here and be happy. It's okay man...

But yet... you keep driving around the ex girlfriends house to take a peek.

Over and over again.

Here's what you missed this morning... breakfast!!

Lovely, beautiful, free breakfast!!!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170427/527e9fbc6f16a4e1c5deb8954976239b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170427/12984a196f2f9908289b25588855d6e7.jpg

Mmmmm same potatoes and eggs from seemingly the same distributor over and over and over.....

I may pick up a Tokyo trip just to eat some good food at both the layover and airport.

And before your next Sparro comment.....again

I haven't seen a Sparro restaurant since....hmmmm.... the last time I worked for Netjets...ironic.... when I was catching the last available airline home after a 3 leg last day which included probably 12 hrs of duty.

China King???? Hmmm never heard of that one. I do enjoy sushi from an amazing restaurant in Narita.

Jetlife
04-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Mmmmm same potatoes and eggs from seemingly the same distributor over and over and over.....

I may pick up a Tokyo trip just to eat some good food at both the layover and airport.

I haven't seen a Sparro restaurant since....hmmmm.... the last time I worked for Netjets...ironic.... when I was catching the last available airline home after a 3 leg last day which included probably 12 hrs of duty.

China King???? Hmmm never heard of that one. I do enjoy sushi from an amazing restaurant in Narita.

Don't mind him. He's in the bubble. He isn't smart enough to realize that not everyone is as close minded as he is.

goinaround
04-27-2017, 09:44 AM
This is utterly ridiculous. I wish the both of you would stop.

kingairfun
04-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Don't mind him. He's in the bubble. He isn't smart enough to realize that not everyone is as close minded as he is.

I just post to see what he'll say next.. in all actuality I have no interest in NJA. But it is fun to egg him on

vroll1800
04-27-2017, 12:11 PM
So this is how you two spent your day ? Back and forth ? You both have really jumped the shark : )

My popcorn supply ran out several posts ago. To paraphrase an internet sage: "Watching an internet argument is about as much fun as watching 2 mongoloid idiots arguing over which one of them is the smartest."

727C47
04-28-2017, 02:06 AM

Winner !!! I miss longhaul: )

Captain Quint
04-28-2017, 04:18 PM
My popcorn supply ran out several posts ago. To paraphrase an internet sage: "Watching an internet argument is about as much fun as watching 2 mongoloid idiots arguing over which one of them is the smartest."

/\/\/\/\
Sounds like someone has been reading posts in the majors thread. Perfect description.

CA1900
04-28-2017, 06:22 PM
Just order lunch and dinners and be happy!

[emoji851][emoji851]🤣🤣🤣🤣

Believe me, I know! But when you get a 4am start, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I didn't deviate that one. I figured the poor bastard got up at 2am to make me eggs and drive them out here, and got them to me on time. What's a little missing tortilla among friends. :D

CA1900
04-28-2017, 06:30 PM

More legs, longer legs, and because it's bigger it can recover for smaller airplanes that break. It's going to be the workhorse because it's got the payload, range, and short-field ability to do just about every domestic non-FA trip we have, other than long transcons or Hawaii. Workload is similar to the Excel (which was also a slave ship), but I don't feel so whipped at the end of the day, probably because I can stretch out and move around more.

It's going to be a hot seller, I'm sure of it. It's everything great about the Sovereign, but dramatically more spacious and comfortable inside (for passengers and crew), and for less money.

Does the Latitude offer more room up front?

Yes, very much so. The cockpit is super comfortable (I can't touch the pedals if I roll the seat all the way back), the ACM blows the coldest, driest air I've ever felt in an airplane on the ground, and the pressurization keeps the cabin below 6000 feet, even at FL450. That helps the fatigue level more than I thought it would.

I flew the Excel for many years, so I know that smaller tube all too well. The Latitude is the first bigger tube that Cessna has ever put on a jet, and it's a big improvement.

tm602
05-07-2017, 06:44 PM

Yes, that 350....been in it a year and a half now, grand total of 2 AOGs. NetJets found a winner in this plane. Its a wonderful airplane and I like it even better than the Gulfstream, BUT...its defines slave ship perfectly.

QuagmireGiggity
05-20-2017, 08:09 PM
And then...

Always a catch.

Quite a bit of all night stuff at the big 3. Long haul still goes senior though. A lot of choices though.

Jetlife
05-20-2017, 08:21 PM
Quite a bit of all night stuff at the big 3. Long haul still goes senior though. A lot of choices though.

Don't get it twisted, plenty of night stuff at NetJets too. I flew until 530am a few times. It happens.

QuagmireGiggity
05-20-2017, 08:36 PM
These choices are always fun to talk about but are of course very personal that only you can answer.
I think age, where you live and family will be the biggest factors.

Don't discount AA. Year 3 a person can make in the $150-60K range doing the minimal amount of flying. ..Plus 16% into your 401k. For a Captain making $260000 thats $41,600 the company puts in for you. A person starting today will be able to upgrade in about 6 years. Or you could just go Group IV FO and ride the gravy train. I met a guy with 5000 hours in the 777 and only has 65 landings. Or you could stay senior Narrowbody FO and be home every night. To each his own.
If you're young the pay difference will be multi millions.
Reserve is actually a tolerable life. Long call is great. Short call for some that live in base is great. When I was at a regional reserve was a huge PITA.

If you have small kids and want holidays.. that could be an issue. It all depends on how bad you want the holiday. I can get Turkey day year two but summer vacations forget it.
More improvements are coming such as bigger profit sharing, Min Calendar day like DAL n UAL. Contract is up Jan 1 2020. I expect major change. The only thing that will dirk it up is the old fogies get googly eyed for cash.

Also I will say I have yet to fly with a bad Captain. A couple were not that fun but over all great place. Training is unbelievable compared to what I had at the ole regional . A real gentlemans program. There's a saying: "cooperate-graduate". Can't imagine anyone with a decent attitude having problems.

727C47
05-21-2017, 07:14 AM
Don't get it twisted, plenty of night stuff at NetJets too. I flew until 530am a few times. It happens.

I like night flying : )

Jetlife
05-21-2017, 10:44 AM

I don't like messing with circadian cycles but I don't mind flying when it's dark.

tomgoodman
05-21-2017, 10:56 AM

We tried to knock off work by late afternoon, suspecting that the atmosphere was tired of holding up airplanes all day, and might start dropping them. :D

Dyrek2
05-22-2017, 05:54 AM
I get missing all the secondary perks of the job (hotel points, airline points etc) but if you added all that up, that equals about 2,000 bucks a year.... That shouldn't be a reason to make a go or no go decision.

Exactly...yet some simply can't give up their "status"!