Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Latest Upgrade time

Aviationluver
05-03-2017, 08:10 PM
With the hiring and movement, what's the latest up-to-date upgrade time at Air Wisc.?

Thanks.

pilot0987
05-03-2017, 08:26 PM
With the hiring and movement, what's the latest up-to-date upgrade time at Air Wisc.?

Thanks.

You would prob upgrade and flow to a major before upgrading at wis

Fleron270
05-04-2017, 05:11 AM
The last upgrade was a 2011 hire.

However, they are projecting an 18-24 month upgrade time for new hires. So pretty much as soon as you hit 1000SIC.

This was an email sent to us:

Hiring / Upgrades

We plan to hire between 250 and 300 pilots this year, with just as many planned for next year. With this rapid workforce expansion, we expect to accelerate upgrade times to 18-24 months. I know many of you are thinking, How is this possible, Im a 5 year FO. We have ran many different models that show the number of years to upgrade dramatically decreasing. This is due to the amount of pilots we are looking to hire and the large gap between 1-2 year FOs and 4-5 year FOs.

We know the big question is, when are we going to start upgrading again? It all hinges on meeting our hiring goals. As soon as we rebuild the FO staffing, we will start to run upgrade classes immediately. You can help accelerate this by referring pilots to Air Wisconsin. If they are selected you will receive a bonus of $4,000 in referral money in accordance with our referral policy. If you know of a pilot who would like to join the Air Wisconsin team, please refer them by completing the form found HERE.

The good news is, the number of candidates interested in Air Wisconsin continues to steadily rise. Our recruiters are very busy as we are running 2 to 3 interview sessions each week. The size of these interviews vary, but are usually between 5 and 12 candidates per session.

When discussing the sign on / retention bonus, a new FO will earn $15,000 once they complete IOE and another $10,000 after their first year of service for a total of $25,000. After that, new hires will continue to get $2,000 a quarter beginning in month 24 and through month 36 of employment or until they upgrade which makes the bonus up to $33,000. With the bonus and increased First officer pay a new hire can expect to earn between $201,000 - $242,000 in total compensation and benefits during the first three years of service. For this breakdown please reference and share the following document by clicking HERE.

pitchtrim
05-04-2017, 06:15 AM
I suspect it's going to be slow going for awhile, then improve once the United flying kicks in.

Grumbletrousers
05-04-2017, 06:32 AM
I suspect it's going to be slow going for awhile, then improve once the United flying kicks in.

This. Once all of the details come to light with the United flying, things will pick up.

You would prob upgrade and flow to a major before upgrading at wis

I'd be salty too if I had to spend my day vacuuming planes.

WhistlePig
05-04-2017, 12:26 PM
Where are these mythical new hires? And where are they going to get sim training? We're still rerouting and junior manning FO's every week.

BeechPilot33
05-04-2017, 03:50 PM
Where are these mythical new hires? And where are they going to get sim training? We're still rerouting and junior manning FO's every week.

Need classes of 40+ to hit 300 new hires this year.

pilot0987
05-04-2017, 03:58 PM
This. Once all of the details come to light with the United flying, things will pick up.

I'd be salty too if I had to spend my day vacuuming planes.

Whos salty. Just saying whats obvious to everyone not drinking the kool aide. Never once vacuumed a plane, we have people for that.

Base2Final
05-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Pilots already on property get...?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

05-06-2017, 04:35 AM
Pilots already on property get...?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A bonus. See LOA 37 (below is a portion of the LOA)

-----------
Retention Pay

1. Retention Amount

The following are the minimum retention amounts, which may be increased at the discretion of the Company, provided that sum of the First Officer retention and his hourly rate annualized must not exceed the sum of the Captain retention and the Captain hourly rate annualized at his longevity level:

a. Captains

Pilots who are being paid in accordance with the Captain pay scale on the date of payment will receive the following minimum retention payments, provided he meets the conditions of paragraph C.2., below:

May 15, 2017 $2,000
Oct 15, 2017 $4,000

b. First Officers

Pilots who are being paid in accordance with the First Officer pay scale on the date of payment will receive the following minimum retention payments, provided he meets the conditions of paragraph C.2., below:

May 15, 2017 $3,000
Oct 15, 2017 $5,000
---------
Those numbers stated above are minimum amounts. The company recently said that the FO retention is going to go up to 10k per each payment date, totaling 20,000 dollars.

BigWillyCapt
05-06-2017, 04:41 AM
Read the fine print at the bottom. FO's are due to get a 10k check on 5-15 and another 10k in October.

pitchtrim
05-06-2017, 04:55 AM
You can definitely make bank as an fo here. Our fo's have to be making as much as a lot of other regional captains at this point.

MKUltra
05-08-2017, 05:29 PM
You can definitely make bank as an fo here. Our fo's have to be making as much as a lot of other regional captains at this point.

Crazy how things have changed in a few short years.. my first year in the regionals.. less than 20k..

pilot0987
05-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Crazy how things have changed in a few short years.. my first year in the regionals.. less than 20k..

Yup I remember those days

BravoPapa
05-13-2017, 06:22 PM

The site says, "Join us today and expect to earn a minimum of between $260,000 - $317,000 in the first three years and even more by upgrading to Captain!" When you click on the breakdown though they also include medical and dental and life, per diem and the 401k in total compensation. If you take those out that decreases the 3 year compensation by about $45k or so.

But they show base pay for the 3 years as $35k, $56k and $74k.

BigZ
05-13-2017, 09:39 PM
Fine print for those numbers also says "upgrade at 18 months"

WisJudge
05-14-2017, 05:33 AM

Yep, made the jump from Mesa with 750 EJet hours. I'll make in the first year what a 14 year CA makes at Mesa. Yes, I am counting insurance as I'm paying $670/month presently out of pocket. I'm not including per diem, dental, eye, KCM, etc. Those I looked at as a wash. Just pay, bonuses, and medical insurance. I used 82 hours a month flight time in my calculations. My personal net gain over my Mesa income, weighing Mesa second year pay for AW's first year pay is $62,864 over the next 12 months.
$5k with fist paycheck + $26k end of IOE + $8k (ATP bonus) at the end of IOE, $10k at the 1 yr mark.
Cannot beat the new bonuses Air W is offering for first year FO's.
And those of you in your second and third years are getting retention bonuses. Easy move to make once the numbers are in front of you.

Going to miss the 175, but the pay, reputation, outlook makes AW a no-brainer career move for me. My guess is there will be an increase in class sizes coming shortly. Heck, my Mesa indoc class of March 3, 2016 had 38 (less than half left). If Mesa can do that with just the prospect of "fast upgrade" time, AW can do it with the prospects of growth and the pay.
Starting indoc tomorrow. Looking forward to being part of AW.

Judge

el jefe
05-14-2017, 06:44 AM
It's nice to actually see some positivity here, welcome aboard!

SuperAerobat
05-14-2017, 02:22 PM

Judge

Welcome aboard!

And Appleton is a neat city with a lot of fantastic food. Enjoy it!

WisJudge
05-14-2017, 06:39 PM
Welcome aboard!

And Appleton is a neat city with a lot of fantastic food. Enjoy it!

Thanks for the welcome!
NE Wisconsin has been home for 30 years. I live 20 min to the east.
It will be nice to be close to home for the next month.

Fleron270
05-14-2017, 06:45 PM
It's nice to actually see some positivity here, welcome aboard!

It's super nice! I'm loving it. Looking forward to seeing all the fresh faces.

BigZ
05-15-2017, 06:39 AM
It's super nice! I'm loving it. Looking forward to seeing all the fresh faces.

I wouldn't go as far as calling our faces fresh :)
I'm 36 and I thought I'd stick out among the "fresh faces", but in reality I was the youngest pilot interviewed and by a good margin.

BravoPapa
05-15-2017, 01:06 PM
I'm 36 and I thought I'd stick out among the "fresh faces", but in reality I was the youngest pilot interviewed and by a good margin.

That's encouraging for and old fart like me. :D

I know a guy that was just hired by the regionals at 60.

squib
05-15-2017, 02:04 PM
Yep, made the jump from Mesa with 750 EJet hours. I'll make in the first year what a 14 year CA makes at Mesa. Yes, I am counting insurance as I'm paying $670/month presently out of pocket. I'm not including per diem, dental, eye, KCM, etc. Those I looked at as a wash. Just pay, bonuses, and medical insurance. I used 82 hours a month flight time in my calculations. My personal net gain over my Mesa income, weighing Mesa second year pay for AW's first year pay is $62,864 over the next 12 months.
$5k with fist paycheck + $26k end of IOE + $8k (ATP bonus) at the end of IOE, $10k at the 1 yr mark.
And those of you in your second and third years are getting retention bonuses. Easy move to make once the numbers are in front of you.

Mesa 14 yr CA pay (with your arbitrary 82 hours a month) is 90 x 82 x 12 = 88,560. That's a 26k difference. Even round up your insurance (costs/savings or however you are adding that in) to 1k/mo and you are still well short.

WisJudge
05-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Mesa 14 yr CA pay (with your arbitrary 82 hours a month) is 90 x 82 x 12 = 88,560. That's a 26k difference. Even round up your insurance (costs/savings or however you are adding that in) to 1k/mo and you are still well short.

You missed the important part:
My personal NET gain OVER my Mesa income...is $62,864 over the next 12 months.

I'm quite sure my math is correct.
Yes, I used the $88,560k for the equivalent. Thanks for the verification!

IFLYACRJ
05-17-2017, 06:07 AM

Going to miss the 175, but the pay, reputation, outlook makes AW a no-brainer career move for me. My guess is there will be an increase in class sizes coming shortly. Heck, my Mesa indoc class of March 3, 2016 had 38 (less than half left). If Mesa can do that with just the prospect of "fast upgrade" time, AW can do it with the prospects of growth and the pay.

Judge

Welcome aboard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squib
05-17-2017, 07:25 AM
You missed the important part:
My personal NET gain OVER my Mesa income...is $62,864 over the next 12 months.

I'm quite sure my math is correct.
Yes, I used the $88,560k for the equivalent. Thanks for the verification!

You said you will make more at AWAC year one as an FO than a 14 year mesa captain. Incorrect and misleading.

giggity37
05-17-2017, 10:38 AM
You said you will make more at AWAC year one as an FO than a 14 year mesa captain. Incorrect and misleading.

He also forgot to add that he will only see half the bonus's. Half will go to the government for a year.

pitchtrim
05-17-2017, 01:17 PM
He also forgot to add that he will only see half the bonus's. Half will go to the government for a year.

Fairly certain bonuses get taxed at your personal standard rate.

WisJudge
05-17-2017, 01:46 PM

You're welcome to do the math Squib.
So, what are the numbers if mine are wrong?
Show your work :)

WisJudge
05-17-2017, 01:48 PM

They are taxed at the same rate.

giggity37
05-17-2017, 01:56 PM

The bonus checks will be pretty much be cut in half depending on your state. You will get most of it back when you do your taxes. I don't see how air whiskey can get around that since it's called a bonus.

pitchtrim
05-17-2017, 02:00 PM
Just checked and mine wasn't cut in half. Same rate as usual. What states take half your bonus?

WisJudge
05-17-2017, 02:04 PM
The bonus checks will be pretty much be cut in half depending on your state. You will get most of it back when you do your taxes. I don't see how air whiskey can get around that since it's called a bonus.

What is taken out depends on what you submit for withholding.
Some want a lot withheld initially, others the exact amount.
I never saw a benefit to allowing the government to hold extra money of mine at zero interest. Time Value of Money.

Not sure what your point is though. If you get additional income, bonus or not, from Company A, but less or none from Company B, would it not make more sense that Company A pays more?

WisJudge
05-17-2017, 02:09 PM
Just checked and mine wasn't cut in half. Same rate as usual. What states take half your bonus?

NY and CA 10% state and local income tax plus 39.6% federal top tax bracket (w/ alternative min tax).
I do well with our other sources of income, and with standard deductions were not even in the top bracket.
I'm pleased for folks that are!

WhiskeyDelta
05-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Our profit sharing at Delta is withheld at the Federal rate of 25% and then it's taxed at whatever rate you qualify for when you file your return for that year. So if you end up in a bracket that has a higher rate than 25% then you end up owing more. If less, you get some of that 25% back.

This debate has occurred in depth over in the Endeavor sub-forum and then general consensus is that these type of bonuses are treated the same way. I'd be surprised if ZW treats them differently.

Talk about first-world problems. In the end it's a great problem to have to deal with!

WisJudge
05-17-2017, 02:23 PM
Talk about first-world problems. In the end it's a great problem to have to deal with!

Amen Brother!!!
It's a breath of fresh air to be in this boat.
I'm grateful for the opportunity.

152hvy
05-26-2017, 09:34 PM

I just turned 42, and I'm just as thrilled to consider AW as my very first regional airline to apply, as a freightdog lifer.

mdcny
06-12-2017, 12:10 PM

Judge

I left Gojet after one year for Skywest. Got offered a class at Skywest and took a second look at AW. Honestly, a good deal. Good reputation, great bonus, retention, and insurance. I live in ORD. So pushed back my SKYW to interview at AW. Hopefully I get an offer. Also I have a CL65 type.

diverdriver2
06-12-2017, 04:16 PM
I left Gojet after one year for Skywest. Got offered a class at Skywest and took a second look at AW. Honestly, a good deal. Good reputation, great bonus, retention, and insurance. I live in ORD. So pushed back my SKYW to interview at AW. Hopefully I get an offer. Also I have a CL65 type.

Do you know when our next interview dates are?

https://www.facebook.com/events/292701947846762/?ti=as

diverdriver2
06-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Interviews DCA June 20th.

https://www.facebook.com/events/216729978833940/?ti=as

StandEmUp
07-28-2017, 03:16 PM
When is the next class/hire date? Please keep us posted on the numbers! I'm nearing my 1,000 hours and would really like to work at AW; just so hard to jump on board in the current limbo they're in. Need new hires to get the upgrade down and upgrades down to get new hires in.

T28driver
07-28-2017, 06:08 PM
When is the next class/hire date? Please keep us posted on the numbers! I'm nearing my 1,000 hours and would really like to work at AW; just so hard to jump on board in the current limbo they're in. Need new hires to get the upgrade down and upgrades down to get new hires in.

I'm at Appleton in training and it really doesn't feel like "limbo" at ZW. They are definitely pulling in new hires. 25ish plus total on site in the school house plus the class in sims ahead of everyone here. Classes in August are supposedly fairly large as well, 35+ already.

I will say that I've been very impressed with everyone at this company. I haven't encountered anyone that is not a complete professional, trainee or full employee. You can actually feel the overall excitement in the company. It's a great environment.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Strenyakov
07-28-2017, 07:10 PM

Is Gojet as bad as everyone says, and I do mean everyone? Do they still fire everyone who has to go out on medical? Do they still use checkrides to punish guys who make them follow the contract? Are they going to close down? Where are they finding pilots? They offered me a class date, no application needed. Have they turned the corner and finally getting better?

Grumbletrousers
07-28-2017, 07:45 PM
Is Gojet as bad as everyone says, and I do mean everyone?

Avoid G7 and YV.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1