Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Graybird
05-10-2017, 04:01 PM
Being a soon to be new hire, I have questions that I did not ask in the interview, perhaps those with time on property can answer them for many of us.

Thanks
Graybird,

Uniforms how are they handled? Who pays for them?
Where are we fitted?
What do we need to provide before IOE?

Parking: how does that work for commuters? Does AW provide parking passes at either domicile airport? Or home airport from where they commute from?

Buddy passes? I have read in the older forums that AW did not have them,

What are pilots using for headsets in the CRJ,
I saw very little discussion on that thread.

Does AW have a lot of memory items? Limitations and emergency procedures?

The training? Do you learn to build the airplane or is it more of a need to know basis? Every company is different.

Limitations? Green arc
or hard numbers need to be learned and memorized?

Food options while in Appleton $$$?

What do you suggest for eating?

How far away are places to purchase personal items?
Laundry facilities?

Can you enlighten us on what to expect during training?

Training materials are they in an electronic format or books?
Do we need to bring an extra suitcase to bring them home?

What attire is expected for ground school?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Fleron270
05-10-2017, 05:08 PM
The uniform allowance is $260/year. That starts after your first year. You do have the option of using payroll deduction to pay for your first uniform.

A representative from M&H (IIRC) comes in at the end of Indoc to do your measurements.

"What do we need to provide before IOE?" I am not sure what you mean.

For parking, the company provides parking at your domicile airport. If you are a commuter, they will reimburse you up to the cost of parking in domicile.

We do not have buddy passes with American, but I imagine that we will have them when we fly for United.

I see a lot of Telex 850s, and Clarity Alofts.

There is a considerable amount of memory items and limitations. It's not a ridiculous amount, but probably more than average.

They are working towards teaching on a need-to-know basis. From what I've been told by FOs that left for other regionals before the United announcement, our training is superior.

Limitations have a lot of hard numbers, but not too difficult to memorize.

Appleton is awesome! Tons of food around, including a very good breakfast at the Radisson. You will have a lot of fun.

There is a local superstore down the road, the hotel van can take you. The laundromat is also about a 10-15 minute walk, but the van can take you.

2 weeks of ATP-CTP (if needed).
1 week of ground school, a few days in Charlotte, 10 hours of sim, fly back, and complete the ATP written on the second Friday.
2 weeks of indoc with a quiz at the end of each week (multiple-choice).
2 weeks of systems, 1 or 2 quizzes (multiple-choice).
Afterwards, you go to MKE for Cockpit Procedures Training (one week), which is done in the actual aircraft.
After that, you go to CLT or CVG to complete your sim training. You are allotted 10-15 sim sessions, but many are getting more. If you have a good attitude and show progress, you will have no problem getting as many sim sessions as you need.
Complete your checkride, then start IOE shortly afterwards! I believe that you are required to fly at least 25 hours to be signed off, so that amounts to 2 trips minimum.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

OT35
05-10-2017, 06:29 PM
The uniform allowance is $260/year. That starts after your first year. You do have the option of using payroll deduction to pay for your first uniform.

A representative from M&H (IIRC) comes in at the end of Indoc to do your measurements.

"What do we need to provide before IOE?" I am not sure what you mean.

For parking, the company provides parking at your domicile airport. If you are a commuter, they will reimburse you up to the cost of parking in domicile.

We do not have buddy passes with American, but I imagine that we will have them when we fly for United.

I see a lot of Telex 850s, and Clarity Alofts.

There is a considerable amount of memory items and limitations. It's not a ridiculous amount, but probably more than average.

They are working towards teaching on a need-to-know basis. From what I've been told by FOs that left for other regionals before the United announcement, our training is superior.

Limitations have a lot of hard numbers, but not too difficult to memorize.

Appleton is awesome! Tons of food around, including a very good breakfast at the Radisson. You will have a lot of fun.

There is a local superstore down the road, the hotel van can take you. The laundromat is also about a 10-15 minute walk, but the van can take you.

2 weeks of ATP-CTP (if needed).
1 week of ground school, a few days in Charlotte, 10 hours of sim, fly back, and complete the ATP written on the second Friday.
2 weeks of indoc with a quiz at the end of each week (multiple-choice).
2 weeks of systems, 1 or 2 quizzes (multiple-choice).
Afterwards, you go to MKE for Cockpit Procedures Training (one week), which is done in the actual aircraft.
After that, you go to CLT or CVG to complete your sim training. You are allotted 10-15 sim sessions, but many are getting more. If you have a good attitude and show progress, you will have no problem getting as many sim sessions as you need.
Complete your checkride, then start IOE shortly afterwards! I believe that you are required to fly at least 25 hours to be signed off, so that amounts to 2 trips minimum.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Glad you took care of this one haha, ive been trying to respond to most of the lengthy inquiries of people who seem to legitimately interested in AWAC.

As far as the IOE question, I'll take a shot at it. You just show up really, youll get an email and if I remember correctly i also got a phone call prior to each trip advising me of my IOE trips. I also got calls from both my LCA's the day prior to the start of my trips. Youll get a packet of things youll go over on your trips with your checkairmen and you just bring it with you on each trip until you finish. Did mine in 2 trips and I'm no way gods gift to aviation

BigZ
05-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Thank you for great info and OP for good questions

Graybird
05-10-2017, 07:07 PM
Wow thanks all of you for the feed back and taking time for the details.
I am sure many others will want to know the answers to the same questions,

What do we need to provide before IOE? I should have been more specific.
I am guessing the company provides the brite work wings, emblems for hats
I guess we need to procure our own shirts. What about shoulder applets
Silver? Pewter?

What about training materials? Books? Or electronic media i.e. Thumb drive?

As for the ATP I knocked that one out 30 years ago with my first type rating.
Hence Graybird.

However i am sure some will appreciate the details on on the ATP process.

Again thanks

SideFlare
05-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Wow thanks all of you for the feed back and taking time for the details.
I am sure many others will want to know the answers to the same questions,

What do we need to provide before IOE? I should have been more specific.
I am guessing the company provides the brite work wings, emblems for hats
I guess we need to procure our own shirts. What about shoulder applets
Silver? Pewter?

What about training materials? Books? Or electronic media i.e. Thumb drive?

As for the ATP I knocked that one out 30 years ago with my first type rating.
Hence Graybird.

However i am sure some will appreciate the details on on the ATP process.

Again thanks

You'll get to order epaulettes and shirts with the rest of your uniform items. I'm not a fan of the shirts they let you order and went with A Cut Above. Great quality and somewhat fitted as opposed to the baggy, sloppy shirts they offered. Wings will be provided at some point during sims.

Training materials/books are all on a company issued iPad you'll receive during Indoc. You can use your own if it meets company specs and they'll pay you a certain amount. They also gave us a thumb drive will useful items such as checklist videos, walk around guide, publications, etc.

Graybird
05-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Great thanks for the input! What iPad do they issue?
I have an IPad Pro 9.7 with 128 gig I am not sure if I want to beat it up with everyday rigors.
Should I bring a laptop (for thumb drive) or is everything I need loaded on the company iPad?

What attire is expected during training? Nice looking pressed jeans collared shirt? Acceptable?
Dress slacks? For check ride days I would guess.
I know it sounds like a silly question however I have seen pilots show up for training at corporate training centers where they asked the client to come back in dress slacks and dress shirt.

You never know what to expect.

OT35
05-11-2017, 08:09 AM
Great thanks for the input! What iPad do they issue?
I have an IPad Pro 9.7 with 128 gig I am not sure if I want to beat it up with everyday rigors.
Should I bring a laptop (for thumb drive) or is everything I need loaded on the company iPad?

What attire is expected during training? Nice looking pressed jeans collared shirt? Acceptable?
Dress slacks? For check ride days I would guess.
I know it sounds like a silly question however I have seen pilots show up for training at corporate training centers where they asked the client to come back in dress slacks and dress shirt.

You never know what to expect.

Your ipad will work fine but what I've seen is a lot of the pilots take the company ipad and use it strictly for work related stuff/documents and still bring their own tablet for personal use so thats what I do. As far as training attire, slacks and a polo or button up shirt, nobody wore jeans. I brought my laptop to training but all the same videos are on the company website, i just found it easier to make my own study guides and watch the videos on my laptop but its really just personal preference. I also have an electronic logbook so I brought my laptop in on the paperwork days just in case corrections needed to be made. Youll get an email of everything youll need to bring about 2 weeks before class.

PILOTO74
05-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Great Info!!

Two more questions:

What is the commuter's policy?

Will AW interview a candidate with 1400TT and if yes,how long will you have to complete the remaining 100?

OT35
05-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Great Info!!

Two more questions:

What is the commuter's policy?

Will AW interview a candidate with 1400TT and if yes,how long will you have to complete the remaining 100?

Yeah theyll definitely interview you. One of the guys in my class got hired with less than 500 hours and they gave him a year to get to 1000 (he met the R-ATP mins).

The commuter policy is pretty straight forward. You have to give yourself 2 options. Your first option has to get you to domicile 2 hours before check-in, your second option if you couldnt get on the first must get you in domicile 30 mins prior to your check-in time for your trip. If you get bumped from your first and call you can always ask scheduling to positive space you for your 2nd or even 3rd attempt, its a hit or a miss though.

BigWillyCapt
05-11-2017, 04:30 PM
Minimum uniform is pants, hat, shirts, tie, epaulets, black belt, black shoes, (top coat or blazer must be worn over LS shirts), most buy a blazer as well. As mentioned earlier, you are responsible for the initial uniform which can be payroll deducted, $25/check I think.

For IOE, you will need headset, flashlight, ipad, spare battery and charger, (ipad etc can be company provided). I recommend a suitcase as well. I posted a long response on another thread regarding luggage and headsets. Try a search.

The ipad is a mini, nothing fancy, low memory 16gb I think. Most that use the company Ipad use it only for company stuff. I carry a personal one as well.

PILOTO74
05-11-2017, 04:36 PM
Yeah theyll definitely interview you. One of the guys in my class got hired with less than 500 hours and they gave him a year to get to 1000 (he met the R-ATP mins).

The commuter policy is pretty straight forward. You have to give yourself 2 options. Your first option has to get you to domicile 2 hours before check-in, your second option if you couldnt get on the first must get you in domicile 30 mins prior to your check-in time for your trip. If you get bumped from your first and call you can always ask scheduling to positive space you for your 2nd or even 3rd attempt, its a hit or a miss though.
Thanks!!!

Also do you get perdiem during Training?
Double accommodation during training?

Graybird
05-11-2017, 05:27 PM
Thanks!!!

Also do you get perdiem during Training?
Double accommodation during training?

No Perdiem during training
However you are paid 2.5 hours per day at the rate of $35.00 for every day you are in training.

Your first check will be a paper check after that direct deposit pay days 15, and the 30th.

Hotel is single occupancy and company pays for the room while in training
The Hotel is the Raddison in Appleton I understand that they have a free breakfast.

OT35
05-11-2017, 06:04 PM
However you are paid 2.5 hours per day at the rate of $35.00 for every day you are in training.

Your first check will be a paper check after that direct deposit pay days 15, and the 30th.

The Hotel is the Raddison in Appleton I understand that they have a free breakfast.

Breakfast wasnt free when i was there but awac has a pretty steep discount with the hotel, kinda reaching from my memory but i think i got breakfast for under 5 bucks including coffee. The hotel gives you a welcome sheet with discounts from local places to eat as well

PILOTO74
05-11-2017, 06:15 PM

So basically I can count on minimum guaranteed during training right?

Thanks a lot Graybird.

05-11-2017, 06:26 PM
So basically I can count on minimum guaranteed during training right?

Thanks a lot Graybird.

Yes, but they deposit a $5,000 bonus into your 1st check. So they basically pay you to learn in hopes you don't stress over cash while you're up in ATW. This $5,000 is on top of your normal paycheck.

In addition you get another bonus of at least $26,000 after you finish IOE (3-5 months after you start). Money should not worry you with what they are now offering. All this is ONTOP of your regular pay.

Check out their bonus structure down in the middle of the page. http://airwis.com/pilots.html

Fly IFR
05-13-2017, 08:52 PM
Speaking of pay, are you guys actually taking home what the claim on their website for years 1, 2 and 3? What's the typical monthly take home? Can the 26K be spread out from check to check throughout the year or is it a one lump sum? Thanks!

BravoPapa
05-14-2017, 08:23 PM
Being a soon to be new hire, I have questions that I did not ask in the interview, perhaps those with time on property can answer them for many of us.

Check your PMs.

kotovsyndrome
05-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Speaking of pay, are you guys actually taking home what the claim on their website for years 1, 2 and 3? What's the typical monthly take home? Can the 26K be spread out from check to check throughout the year or is it a one lump sum? Thanks!

Excluding bonuses, my gross has been $5300 last month with 11 days off and $4150 the previous (IOE) with 14 days off. I haven't been working as much as I want to.
So far my YTD is 30.5k and If I can keep getting some open time a few days a month I'm looking at about 75k year 1.
I'm not on the brand new higher bonus deal, I'm on the previous 33k bonus over 3 years.
I am obviously not including the medical and dental side which is $500/mo on their side since it's not gross pay so their compensation pdf posted on the airwis website is pretty accurate I guess.
EDIT: From what I read the 26k is the new IOE bonus, I'd assume it's going to be in one paycheck, but you'd be better off asking someone from HR or Training Department.

prex8390
05-15-2017, 12:44 PM

Sports bar in the hotel gives a discount too. The Irish place next door was pretty sweet. Leg lamp lounge up the street was the go to place for our class. There's like 25 bars and restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk and a college campus. Hidden gem is up by the school. Dr Jenkyls? Something like that up the street, bathroom has a bunch of penthouse cutouts in it. Also have your intructorr tell you guys the story about the class that sunk a pontoon boat

Five93H
05-15-2017, 12:58 PM
Sports bar in the hotel gives a discount too. The Irish place next door was pretty sweet. Leg lamp lounge up the street was the go to place for our class. There's like 25 bars and restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk and a college campus. Hidden gem is up by the school. Dr Jenkyls? Something like that up the street, bathroom has a bunch of penthouse cutouts in it. Also have your intructorr tell you guys the story about the class that sunk a pontoon boat

Well now this has me interested.

PILOTO74
05-15-2017, 01:54 PM
Im assuming that is 1st year captain pay right??

FODhopper
05-15-2017, 03:46 PM

None of the instructors there now really know the story about the boat...Or is it very useful anymore. It happened a long time ago in a different era. Usually the Chief Instructor will wrap that story in about two sentences during his professionalism presentation ending with: You are here to learn and ATW is a small town so don't get noticed.

PILOTO74
05-15-2017, 04:30 PM
Excluding bonuses, my gross has been $5300 last month with 11 days off and $4150 the previous (IOE) with 14 days off. I haven't been working as much as I want to.
So far my YTD is 30.5k and If I can keep getting some open time a few days a month I'm looking at about 75k year 1.
I'm not on the brand new higher bonus deal, I'm on the previous 33k bonus over 3 years.
I am obviously not including the medical and dental side which is $500/mo on their side since it's not gross pay so their compensation pdf posted on the airwis website is pretty accurate I guess.
EDIT: From what I read the 26k is the new IOE bonus, I'd assume it's going to be in one paycheck, but you'd be better off asking someone from HR or Training Department.
Im assuming that is 1st year captain pay right? How about F/O?

PILOTO74
05-15-2017, 04:49 PM
Little help here if you guys don,t mind.

The story goes like this.

Already have the minimums for ME, IFR,night and Cross country.

TT: 1406 as of now.

Can I count towards TT the following :

-Did EMB-500 at CAE DFW that was 9 SIM sessions= 18Hrs.
-Need to complete CPT , I saw on different threads that you can count 25Hrs out that as well? True false ?

This will take me to TT: 1449 Only 51 hours short?:confused::confused:

Grumbletrousers
05-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Im assuming that is 1st year captain pay right? How about F/O?

We don't that street captain bull****. He meant FO.

As far as your times go, I can't help you there but if you apply and are offered the position you'll have a year to get your times to the required minimums

Whatmeworry
05-17-2017, 03:14 AM
Anybody know of any Quizlet for the study guide?

Engineer738
05-19-2017, 06:13 AM
Not sure if this question has been asked recently?
With the new United Express contract, a focus on growth of MidWest routes and additions of IAD and ORD as new crew bases.
Do you foresee any existing crew bases being closed in the future?

mcat
05-19-2017, 09:48 AM
PHL and DCA are closing for sure. ORF might stay but they haven't said anything about that yet. Just ORD and IAD for right now.

FODhopper
05-19-2017, 10:36 AM
PHL and DCA are closing for sure. ORF might stay but they haven't said anything about that yet. Just ORD and IAD for right now.

Then I'm kinda glad I got out. I was in DCA the entire time I was at AWAC; LOVED DCA. It's probably better I leave with that memory intact before soiling it with IAD.

Name User
05-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Not sure if this question has been asked recently?
With the new United Express contract, a focus on growth of MidWest routes and additions of IAD and ORD as new crew bases.
Do you foresee any existing crew bases being closed in the future?

It's important to note that AWAC isn't growing as of right now (publically available info).

Name User
05-19-2017, 12:59 PM
I made $630 every pay check in 2005. I seriously cannot believe how much the pay has come up on the low end.

BigZ
05-19-2017, 01:22 PM
I made $630 every pay check in 2005. I seriously cannot believe how much the pay has come up on the low end.

The sad thing is the current low end pay is the direct result of your check in 2005

T28driver
05-20-2017, 02:06 PM
^^^^
This.

I generally tell people that I'm an excellent example of why there is an issue finding qualified pilots. I grew up in an airline household (father retires from SWA this coming October). I had my commercial at 18, CFI at 19, and was all set to go to the airlines as fast as possible. For reference, I got my CFI in 2001. First roadblock. Instead of the airlines, I went and drove ships around for a while. After getting married and discovering that having two spouses working deployment type schedules was not ideal, I came ashore and started looking at other jobs, including the regionals. It was 2010, and the pay was not liveable for me. Second roadblock. Circle back 7 years later, and I'm in a position for what I'm hoping will be my final career change. I'm a little bit of an outlier though, I never stopped flying or thinking about the airlines while many others simply quit and found more lucrative things to do.

Interviewing with Air Wisconsin next Wednesday (first airline interview!), and I'm honestly more excited about it than I ever thought I would be.

jdmorg13
05-21-2017, 06:32 AM
Does anyone know if Air Wisconsin has an internal total time upgrade requirement?

Day4mx
05-21-2017, 08:10 AM
Does anyone know if Air Wisconsin has an internal total time upgrade requirement?

Yes. 5000.

jdmorg13
05-21-2017, 08:22 AM
Yes. 5000.

Wow. I guess that 18-24 month advertisement doesn't paint the clearest picture. Hard to sell AWAC to the 23 yr old CFIs with an upgrade requirement like that.

Fleron270
05-21-2017, 08:30 AM
Wow. I guess that 18-24 month advertisement doesn't paint the clearest picture. Hard to sell AWAC to the 23 yr old CFIs with an upgrade requirement like that.

There's no internal requirement. That was just a bad joke.

Grumbletrousers
05-21-2017, 08:45 AM
Yes. 5000.

Atlas can't call quick enough huh?

WisJudge
05-21-2017, 08:36 PM
^^^^
This.

I generally tell people that I'm an excellent example of why there is an issue finding qualified pilots. I grew up in an airline household (father retires from SWA this coming October). I had my commercial at 18, CFI at 19, and was all set to go to the airlines as fast as possible. For reference, I got my CFI in 2001. First roadblock. Instead of the airlines, I went and drove ships around for a while. After getting married and discovering that having two spouses working deployment type schedules was not ideal, I came ashore and started looking at other jobs, including the regionals. It was 2010, and the pay was not liveable for me. Second roadblock. Circle back 7 years later, and I'm in a position for what I'm hoping will be my final career change. I'm a little bit of an outlier though, I never stopped flying or thinking about the airlines while many others simply quit and found more lucrative things to do.

Interviewing with Air Wisconsin next Wednesday (first airline interview!), and I'm honestly more excited about it than I ever thought I would be.

I took 20 years off, did two years of GA, 14 months of 121, and just started with AW. You should be excited, and you'll be pleased.

whooooooocares
05-22-2017, 09:55 AM
any info on actual class numbers. I hear on the line numbers thrown around are 20 in size. I find it difficult to believe, but any new hires sitting in indoc or systems feel free to chime in.

PC12Junkie
05-22-2017, 12:44 PM
I currently have 5200 hours total time, of that, 3800 turboprop(Pilatus PC-12 and Cessna Caravan), 250 jet and 280 multi. I also have two type ratings (Falcon DA20 and Cessna 500 Series).

Would upgrades be the same for me vs. lower time folks? By the way this would be my first 121 operation. All my time is Part 135. So to upgrade at a minimum would be 1000 hours 121 time, Correct?

Just seems like Air Wisconsin is the best for the money at this time regarding pay, "bonuses" and benefits.

Any comments from an experienced 121 person?

Thank you all!

Grumbletrousers
05-22-2017, 01:24 PM
I currently have 5200 hours total time, of that, 3800 turboprop(Pilatus PC-12 and Cessna Caravan), 250 jet and 280 multi. I also have two type ratings (Falcon DA20 and Cessna 500 Series).

Would upgrades be the same for me vs. lower time folks? By the way this would be my first 121 operation. All my time is Part 135. So to upgrade at a minimum would be 1000 hours 121 time, Correct?

Just seems like Air Wisconsin is the best for the money at this time regarding pay, "bonuses" and benefits.

Thank you all!

FAA: "At least 1,000 flight hours in air carrier operations (as co-pilot in Part 121 operations, as Captain in fractional ownership operations, as Captain in Part 135 turbojet, commuter, or 10 or more passenger seat operations, or any combination thereof)"

Upgrades are based on seniority not past experience.

lava
05-22-2017, 01:27 PM

Thank you all!

This is where having a union gig bites you. Bob Hoover, Jimmy Doolittle, Charles Lindbergh and Chesley Sullenburger could be in your class and will upgrade just ahead of you and only because they're older. You'll also get furloughed first because you're junior. (Air Wisconsin seniority within the same class/hire date is based on DOB)

That said, upgrade is gonna be determined by the min 121 hours, upgrades available, and folks ahead of you who want to upgrade. Company is advertising 18-24 months, which is a projection and not reflective of recent history but that number came from somebody with more info on what the future holds than I do. There is a manpower shortage and they're throwing a lot of money at the problem to fix it. With a contract with United for the next 5-6 years, if you get in now you won't sweat the furlough if they have to get smaller at the end of that contract.

So if you're on the fence, it's a good time to jump on board and that Falcon type will get you an extra 8k bonus.

PC12Junkie
05-22-2017, 01:36 PM
I'm 44 years old. Does that help out being older than the majority of the classes? Being upgrades, home base, etc.

WisJudge
05-22-2017, 02:18 PM
I'm 44 years old. Does that help out being older than the majority of the classes? Being upgrades, home base, etc.

Age just buys you seniority within your class.
There is a 22 year-old who joined my class who had to go through the ATP course, he's senior to me (51) because he joined AW two weeks ahead of me. And yes, assuming he hits his 1000 hours 121 time before I am able to upgrade, he'll be a CA before me. Good for him.

For you fence sitters: we were told today by management that AW will be increasing flying by 40% with United. That's a lot of additional flying. They need qualified bodies with good attitudes. Anyone currently based in IAD with other carriers needs to take a hard look at AW.

Spectre
05-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Do crews currently on the line who are commuters, either fresh out of training or more experienced find that they are able to get commutable schedules? At least most of the time. Does AW offer any kind of commuter hotels? What is their commuter policy?

I start training next month with Air Wisconsin!

mcat
05-24-2017, 10:30 AM
Do crews currently on the line who are commuters, either fresh out of training or more experienced find that they are able to get commutable schedules? At least most of the time. Does AW offer any kind of commuter hotels? What is their commuter policy?

Depends on your base. ORF is not commutable. In PHL, their are trips that are commutable. They go senior though. We don't get any hotels for commuting, and you have to give yourself 2 flights to make it in to base.

Day4mx
05-24-2017, 11:34 AM

Get ahold of Nick at the Philly days Inn. Hell hook you up with a hotel.

BravoPapa
05-24-2017, 12:24 PM
Depends on your base. ORF is not commutable.

Why are there bases that are not commutable? I assume you mean if you are based in ORF you would have to live there?

WhistlePig
05-24-2017, 12:36 PM

You'll be commuting to Reserve the night before your 4-5 day availability period. Maybe you can commute out on your last day, or first thing the next morning. If you don't get junior manned. I highly recommend living in domicile. Welcome Aboard!

mcat
05-24-2017, 01:27 PM
Why are there bases that are not commutable? I assume you mean if you are based in ORF you would have to live there?

ORF is not a hub, so your trips start early and end late.

OT35
05-24-2017, 06:37 PM

Ive met a few commuters in the ORF base but all were captains who held lines and none of them were junior captains. ORF is tough overall because you start early, like before 6am, on day 1 and finish late, usually closer to midnight,on day 4.

Day4mx
05-24-2017, 07:41 PM

Most people based in orf live in orf. Not commutable means early show times and late release times. So you're going a day early and home a day late. Not ideal if you don't live there.

pitchtrim
05-25-2017, 04:52 AM
It's not really ideal if you do live there imo.

BravoPapa
05-25-2017, 04:58 AM

I was kinda thinking that myself.

Day4mx
05-25-2017, 05:29 AM

More per diem?!

shinyplane
05-25-2017, 07:24 AM
Most people based in orf live in orf. Not commutable means early show times and late release times. So you're going a day early and home a day late. Not ideal if you don't live there.
So in between day one and the last day are you overnighting every night in ORF?

BigWillyCapt
05-25-2017, 08:46 AM
The secondary reason ORF isn't commutable is logistics. You can find hotels in PHL with a pretty good crew rate, ($45-50 if you're not choosy) and the van will take you to the airport. ORF the hotels will probably be more and if you're on reserve you might be buying one multiple times a 5 day sequence. Crashpads in PHL or DCA run $200-250/mo but there is public transportation to the airport. In ORF you would need a car or Uber to get to the airport. And the crashpads are less available I think. Once you have a line, or on any assigned trip, the company puts you up in a hotel for the overnights at the outstation. A typical trip would have you leave ORF on day 1, overnight in say ROC, overnight in BOS day 2, overnight in PIT day 3, then back to ORF on day 4. When the base opened it went relatively junior and people ended up moving there, renting apartments/houses with buddies and staying. Now the top is fairly senior and there is some churn at the bottom.

shinyplane
05-25-2017, 10:16 AM
The secondary reason ORF isn't commutable is logistics. You can find hotels in PHL with a pretty good crew rate, ($45-50 if you're not choosy) and the van will take you to the airport. ORF the hotels will probably be more and if you're on reserve you might be buying one multiple times a 5 day sequence. Crashpads in PHL or DCA run $200-250/mo but there is public transportation to the airport. In ORF you would need a car or Uber to get to the airport. And the crashpads are less available I think. Once you have a line, or on any assigned trip, the company puts you up in a hotel for the overnights at the outstation. A typical trip would have you leave ORF on day 1, overnight in say ROC, overnight in BOS day 2, overnight in PIT day 3, then back to ORF on day 4. When the base opened it went relatively junior and people ended up moving there, renting apartments/houses with buddies and staying. Now the top is fairly senior and there is some churn at the bottom.
Thanks for the info...Greatly appreciated! Just got hired. Going to Appleton in June. My family has a house two hours from ORF so was curious as to how it could work as a base for me.

Flubber
05-25-2017, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info...Greatly appreciated! Just got hired. Going to Appleton in June. My family has a house two hours from ORF so was curious as to how it could work as a base for me.

That depends on where they are... two hours could be three or more if you have to go through the tunnel and are competing with all the traffic going into the Naval base (or weekend beach traffic).

IFLYACRJ
05-26-2017, 06:29 PM

Welcome aboard
As long as you can make a 2 hour callout, you'll be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cujo665
07-27-2017, 08:59 AM
A few questions

Reserve
short & long call or just short?
callout time? looks like 2 hours from prior posts, correct?
Airport standby / Ready Reserve or none?
Reseve rules; bid a RAP? can you bid open trips?

min days off?

average line value?

Commuter Hotels?

If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like 11 days off for a reserve and commuting in the night before and possibly commuting home the morning after finishing. That would be 4-5 days off at home with family a month, correct?

toolowterrain
07-27-2017, 01:36 PM
No need to spam multiple threads with the same questions. Answer your questions on the other thread.

el jefe
07-27-2017, 03:21 PM
12 days off contractually for line holders and reserve.

You can call the day before your reserve sequence to request early (0430) or late (1100) start times. Thats the closest you can get to choosing your RAP. You wont know your start time until 5pm then night before.

You can call at 1200 on your last day to request early release (if you haven't been used, haha)

Ready reserve usually goes junior, or senior (for reserves) if you live in base.

They usually wont let you bid for trips on reserve, unless you start on a day off, even then they usually have a plan for you already in place.

If they extend you into a day off, you get to chose a 'day-in-lieu' off, but lose pay for that day off.

At the rate they are hiring and training, don't expect to be on reserve that long. The next 6-7 months will be wacky with an influx of new hires and lots of base shuffling as domiciles open and close.

newto121
08-13-2017, 07:37 AM
What is the "commuter policy"? I live back west and Im looking at a long commute fir a few kinths before I move to a pilot domicile. What is the policy on dropping a trip if I cant find a flight to jump seat on?

Thanks so much in advance.

Day4mx
08-13-2017, 08:08 AM
What is the "commuter policy"? I live back west and Im looking at a long commute fir a few kinths before I move to a pilot domicile. What is the policy on dropping a trip if I cant find a flight to jump seat on?

Policy is two flights. One at least two hours prior to check in. One is at least a half hour prior to check in. Basically flying is removed until you get to work. You don't drop the trip in it's entirety because you can't make it. You'll split back in as soon as possible.

newto121
08-13-2017, 08:40 AM
Is this FO gross pay? Is it because of extra days, etc? How many years FO?

Thanks for the initial pist and the reply.

newto121
08-13-2017, 12:54 PM
Thanks so much for the reply

newto121
08-13-2017, 03:12 PM
Policy is two flights. One at least two hours prior to check in. One is at least a half hour prior to check in. Basically flying is removed until you get to work. You don't drop the trip in it's entirety because you can't make it. You'll split back in as soon as possible.
Ok, thanks so much. Is it feasible to work out an arrangements with the scheduling department? For example I would volunteer for reserve during my days off, lets say...at the beginning of the month, or for any trips they may have in exchange for allowing me to drop a whole trip at the end of the month so I could have my days off grouped in a row (like six or seven days off in a row rather than three), and making my commute home a little more manageable?

Thanks in advance for the response.

Lawn
08-13-2017, 07:50 PM
Ok, thanks so much. Is it feasible to work out an arrangements with the scheduling department? For example I would volunteer for reserve during my days off, lets say...at the beginning of the month, or for any trips they may have in exchange for allowing me to drop a whole trip at the end of the month so I could have my days off grouped in a row (like six or seven days off in a row rather than three), and making my commute home a little more manageable?

No.

Good luck.

toolowterrain
08-13-2017, 08:29 PM
No.

Good luck.

I second that no. Sorry!

Day4mx
08-14-2017, 03:06 AM

Sure. You can try to swap, drop, add, trade til your hearts content. It's all subject to scheduling approval. And typically...they don't approve much. Unless it's a straight add. Once you have a line you'll typically have a large group of days off. Alot of lines have a 5+ stretch in there somewhere.

IFLYACRJ
08-14-2017, 07:28 AM

If they're short handed, they'll positive space you on your backup.
They've done this many times for me as my commute becomes more and more nightmarish

el jefe
08-14-2017, 07:47 AM
If your commutes are oversold and the jumpseat is taken by a pilot with higher priority, they will not bump a passenger to get you on (since the United issue).

Positive space only happens if seats are available.

Day4mx
08-14-2017, 09:39 AM

Wouldn't that negate the need for a positive space? That's like reservations at an empty restaurant.

pitchtrim
08-14-2017, 10:05 AM
They bump non revs basically to get you on. 2 jump seaters, 10 open seats, and 10 non revs means you're getting bumped.

el jefe
08-14-2017, 10:32 AM
*If there are no non-revs and no open seats, they will not take a revenue pax off to positive space you to make your commute.

Has happened to me twice since the United debacle.

IFLYACRJ
08-15-2017, 06:12 AM
If your commutes are oversold and the jumpseat is taken by a pilot with higher priority, they will not bump a passenger to get you on (since the United issue).

If they need you there to cover flights, they'll get you there. Once got bumped off the jumpseat and the next flight was oversold and jumpseats were taken. They made a phone call and got me positive space.

Inside DEENA
08-15-2017, 11:12 AM
If they need you there to cover flights, they'll get you there. Once got bumped off the jumpseat and the next flight was oversold and jumpseats were taken. They made a phone call and got me positive space.

I've had them do this as well for ORD-PHL.

I would not bet my commute on it, though.

ID

detpilot
08-21-2017, 04:49 PM

Positive space only happens if seats are available.The new united rule just means they won't do it with less than an hour to departure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

rway36
08-23-2017, 03:46 AM
Who wants to split the referral bonus before I submit App.???

idlethrust
08-23-2017, 03:48 AM
Who wants to split the referral bonus before I submit App.???

Is per diem paid during ground school??

toolowterrain
08-23-2017, 05:10 AM
Is per diem paid during ground school??

No. At the start of IOE.

idlethrust
08-23-2017, 07:46 AM
No. At the start of IOE.

Ok.
Just curious about the United travel bennies? Are they any good? What boarding priority is ZW? i know you dont have buddy passes on United ,but anything available for friends to use??
I also heard zw is big on alot of small nit picky things during groundschool and sims??

squib
08-23-2017, 07:51 PM
Ok.
Just curious about the United travel bennies? Are they any good? What boarding priority is ZW? i know you dont have buddy passes on United ,but anything available for friends to use??
I also heard zw is big on alot of small nit picky things during groundschool and sims??

just asking for a #millenialairlinepilotfriend

BigWillyCapt
08-23-2017, 08:10 PM
If by "big on a lot of small nit picky things" you mean doing things the way they are written in the FOM or FCM then yes I guess we are. Do you need to know how many rivets are on the right wing? No. But when I read about or hear in the air pilots making mistakes because they can't be bothered to say Flight Level or their full call sign it reaffirms why we expect a lot of our pilots. That being said, I think we have a pretty fair cross section of pilots from all walks of life. A lot of good dudes and dudettes. They have all made it through training and most would say they work for a good company. If you want to be handed a Type rating and breeze your way into a shiny jet with minimal effort then AWAC might not be the place for you.

CWOMaddog
08-24-2017, 05:26 AM
Honestly, I would hope a pilot flying an airplane that I'm riding in was nit picked all throughout training ;)

whooooooocares
08-24-2017, 09:46 AM
nit picked for not saying "flight level" For real?

Name User
08-24-2017, 10:36 AM
There is a NY center controller that says "pineapple" instead of "flight level" late at night...

Yes AWAC is nit picky on things but it will get you through the rest of your career.

idlethrust
08-24-2017, 11:53 AM
nit picked for not saying "flight level" For real?

So if the center says "Wisconsin xxxx climb and maintain flightlevel 2-4-0" and you respond "2-4-0 whiskey xxxx" you will be reprimanded for that??
I hear whiskey guys respond like that all the time.

SideFlare
08-24-2017, 02:52 PM
So if the center says "Wisconsin xxxx climb and maintain flightlevel 2-4-0" and you respond "2-4-0 whiskey xxxx" you will be reprimanded for that??

No, you won't. They expect a lot of you in training, and it (for the most part) produces a relatively quality regional FO. The training was a challenge, but it prepares you pretty well to succeed on the line. If by nit-picky you mean rote memorization, then yes. Otherwise, you can say what you want.

BigWillyCapt
08-24-2017, 04:35 PM
Probably not, but it was the first example I could think of. I think you will find most of the check-airman are pretty fair. We try to instill good habits from day 1. If you say it once fine. And you are right you do hear us saying it. But if you are in training and every other call response is nonstandard you will and should hear about it. Once you are on the line most captains aren't going to care.

toolowterrain
08-24-2017, 04:58 PM

Simply Cooperate and Graduate. Nothing hard. If they want you to say something a specific way then say it that way.

Look, yes, we have a few awac'isms that are a bit odd. Yes the pilot flying cannot set their own altitude on the FCP. Yes, you must transfer controls in order to do your approach briefing, etc. So what? You are on our turf so play by our rules.

I am a millennial myself, but this is the stuff that ****es me off. If the fact that we're picky about certain stuff bothers you, then quite honestly, you don't need to be here. Go to another airline where the company manuals are merely suggestions instead of guidance that God forbid we follow.

Does not transferring controls or not saying "flight level" make you a bad pilot or makes you more prone to crashing an airplane? Absolutely not! However, it speaks volumes as to the professionalism of someone who is bothered by all the nitpicky stuff. Whaaaaa.

You are in training so you will be expected to do things the right way. In other words, you are under a microscope. I can't say it enough: cooperate and graduate.

Name User
08-24-2017, 07:13 PM

In recurrent one year they played an ASAP tape of a crew who responded to a heading just as your second example and climbed instead of turned. And it certainly wasn't the first crew to do this.

Generally there is a method to their madness and why they have you say things in a particular way. For this reason I always restate the verb part of the clearance, example "left turn heading 2-4-0" or "speed 2-4-0".

You will never trap 100% of your errors but you can do a lot of things to mitigate them progressing into potential deviations, or worse.

FODhopper
08-25-2017, 08:00 AM
Yes AWAC is nit picky on things but it will get you through the rest of your career.

I agree... At the new airline I went to, the Instructors felt like they were on vacation as a bunch of us came through initial.

Appreciate the picking of nits.. The training Dept has backed off a lot of the "building the airplane" stuff but as a professional, it's expected that you be a student of the game.

StrykerB21
08-25-2017, 08:56 AM
If you come here thinking you're just gonna breeze through training and collect a 26,000 dollar paycheck at the end of it you're gonna have a bad time. It may work that way at other shops but we haven't lowered our training standards. Do the work, fly the way you're expected to and be the professional an airline pilot is supposed to be.

squib
08-25-2017, 09:04 AM
I agree... At the new airline I went to, the Instructors felt like they were on vacation as a bunch of us came through initial.

what what what?!?!?! you quit AWAC to go elsewhere!?

yea this place sucks more and more everyday.

flightlevel
09-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Hi guys,

Just wanted to know if there are any expat Pilots currently working with Air Wisconsin and how long it took you all to get all checks and paper work all done and validated before starting Indoc etc.

Roverruckus
09-17-2017, 05:21 PM
I had an interview and then a class just short of two weeks later. Probably depends on class date timing. Sterling, if they still are using that took about a week.