Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

middies10
05-21-2017, 04:14 PM
Fire away....

N200NN
05-21-2017, 04:32 PM
When people ask when was the last time I flew...
https://m.popkey.co/53257f/0DmrW.gif

VIRotate
05-21-2017, 08:35 PM
When people ask when was the last time I flew...
https://m.popkey.co/53257f/0DmrW.gif

This! Poor SEA and MSP guys.

I've been on Reserve for 8 months. Did most of it in MSP. Then I came to LAX and the past two months have been LCR and a build-up. Finally have a line in June. Should come down now that we are hiring and upgrading again. MSP displacement shouldn't have a big effect as long as block hours stay the same and we continue with the hiring/upgrading.

middies10
05-21-2017, 11:19 PM
This! Poor SEA and MSP guys.

I've been on Reserve for 8 months. Did most of it in MSP. Then I came to LAX and the past two months have been LCR and a build-up. Finally have a line in June. Should come down now that we are hiring and upgrading again. MSP displacement shouldn't have a big effect as long as block hours stay the same and we continue with the hiring/upgrading.

Block hours should only be going up this summer as we continue to build SEA/LAX and typical summer airline schedules. Our departures are increasing quite a bit out of SLC according to recent memos.

veewan
05-22-2017, 01:33 PM
The next contract needs better reserve rules. That's not to say that other areas shouldn't be addressed, but this thread is dedicated to reserve.

Why do we have 14 hour raps? Or 8 hours of ready reserve? Even if it was negotiated down to 11 hour periods a pilot could legally drink for an hour. As it is now a reserve pilot cannot have one drink during their reserve days.

There needs to be better language on ready reserve. Either it's sit min day (4 hours max) or more credit for the additional sit time. Sure a nonflying reserve day is 3.5 but why can't every reserve day pay 4 hours? 4 hours min day for each Reserve day might not sound like a big deal, but it equates to more days off in a month (75/4 vs 75/3.5)

There should also be better language on how often the company can shift reserve period.

Yes what we have now is better than it was in the lost decade, but why accept current conditions​ when everyone else is negotiating for more.

mpet
05-23-2017, 06:32 AM
The next contract needs better reserve rules. That's not to say that other areas shouldn't be addressed, but this thread is dedicated to reserve.

Why do we have 14 hour raps? Or 8 hours of ready reserve? Even if it was negotiated down to 11 hour periods a pilot could legally drink for an hour. As it is now a reserve pilot cannot have one drink during their reserve days.

There needs to be better language on ready reserve. Either it's sit min day (4 hours max) or more credit for the additional sit time. Sure a nonflying reserve day is 3.5 but why can't every reserve day pay 4 hours? 4 hours min day for each Reserve day might not sound like a big deal, but it equates to more days off in a month (75/4 vs 75/3.5)

There should also be better language on how often the company can shift reserve period.

Yes what we have now is better than it was in the lost decade, but why accept current conditions​ when everyone else is negotiating for more.

A regular reserve day is 3.5 because it's 14/4 which is 4:1 trip rig (regional airline standard) since time on rap doesn't involve duty (in the sense you have an actual assignment with an airplane or the airport)

It's 14 hours because 10 is the minimum off between rap periods. I honestly think of what you mentioned this is the LEAST likely to change. When they have you on a reserve day, they want you until they are sure they can't use you legally, and sometimes not even then :D

Airport reserve is 4 because it is 8 hours, on duty for the 2:1 duty rig (regional airline standard)

I think most of this is all industry standard to be honest. 12 hours bottle to throttle is however, not. I've seen 10, and 8 at most places.

veewan
05-23-2017, 07:57 AM
A regular reserve day is 3.5 because it's 14/4 which is 4:1 trip rig (regional airline standard) since time on rap doesn't involve duty (in the sense you have an actual assignment with an airplane or the airport)

It's 14 hours because 10 is the minimum off between rap periods. I honestly think of what you mentioned this is the LEAST likely to change. When they have you on a reserve day, they want you until they are sure they can't use you legally, and sometimes not even then :D

Airport reserve is 4 because it is 8 hours, on duty for the 2:1 duty rig (regional airline standard)

I think most of this is all industry standard to be honest. 12 hours bottle to throttle is however, not. I've seen 10, and 8 at most places.

I think a lot of this used to be industry standard (regional), but now is the time to raise the bar again :cool: My though on contract negotiations is to get the best possible work rules and compensation. Presenting what the competition is offering to the company gives you a better position to negotiate from. Granted there are over 2 years until we even get to openers, I think new hires should be thinking about this.

To address these in order SkyWest has negotiated for 4.2 min day even on reserve, which gives them 12/13 days off per month. Republic and Air Wisconsin have 12 days off on reserve as well.

14 hours on reserve with 10 between is not the biggest deal in the world, but again I am suggesting that we should look to improve conditions for those behind us. SkyWest has 2 short call RAPs which only go for 12 hours, with two early release evaluations (RE1 0400-1600 or 0500 to 1700: 0900/1200, and RE2 0900-2100: 1400/1700)

As for LCR, their language says that a minimum of 20% must be LCR, our LOA has language saying 18% or greater but with a caveat that the company has the right to reduce the percentage to 0% based on operational need. I suppose it depends on how the company determines operational need. To me that reads they can decide to offer all short call, where language saying a minimum percentage reads, if we have people on reserve, 20% must be LCR. If no one is on reserve, then you would go to 0 that way.

Airport reserve. From what I understand Republic does not do airport reserve, it is all LCR or short call. At SkyWest they credit 50% of the time sitting, but again just my understanding is that is on top of their guarantee, which means the company is less likely to sit someone without needing to (costs them $$).

12 hours bottle to throttle is definitely conservative! Even the Mormon Air Force is on an 8 hour rule :eek:

swoosh
05-23-2017, 07:30 PM
Airport ready should be 4 hrs only. We also need a open time pickup window before they assign the trips the day before. And no changing the reserve rap all over the clock.

CaptainDooley
05-24-2017, 11:20 AM
The biggest thing you can do to improve reserve is to allow reserve pilots to pick up open time. This will allow you to greatly improve QOL.
You could have a rule that simply says, for any trip in open time, 24 hrs before the report time any reserve pilot can pick it up.
This would reduce the workload on schedulers so it is a win/win.
Reserve pilots could then have some control on their life. If you are a commuter you could grab a trip that helps your commute instead of losing a day becuase the give you a late trip on your last day or early one on first
The company has to assign the open trips anyway so why not allow pilots to pick them up.they would probably find there are much few open trips each day.

jungle driver
05-24-2017, 11:51 AM
I think a lot of this used to be industry standard (regional), but now is the time to raise the bar again :cool: My though on contract negotiations is to get the best possible work rules and compensation. Presenting what the competition is offering to the company gives you a better position to negotiate from. Granted there are over 2 years until we even get to openers, I think new hires should be thinking about this.

To address these in order SkyWest has negotiated for 4.2 min day even on reserve, which gives them 12/13 days off per month. Republic and Air Wisconsin have 12 days off on reserve as well.

14 hours on reserve with 10 between is not the biggest deal in the world, but again I am suggesting that we should look to improve conditions for those behind us. SkyWest has 2 short call RAPs which only go for 12 hours, with two early release evaluations (RE1 0400-1600 or 0500 to 1700: 0900/1200, and RE2 0900-2100: 1400/1700)

As for LCR, their language says that a minimum of 20% must be LCR, our LOA has language saying 18% or greater but with a caveat that the company has the right to reduce the percentage to 0% based on operational need. I suppose it depends on how the company determines operational need. To me that reads they can decide to offer all short call, where language saying a minimum percentage reads, if we have people on reserve, 20% must be LCR. If no one is on reserve, then you would go to 0 that way.

Airport reserve. From what I understand Republic does not do airport reserve, it is all LCR or short call. At SkyWest they credit 50% of the time sitting, but again just my understanding is that is on top of their guarantee, which means the company is less likely to sit someone without needing to (costs them $$).

12 hours bottle to throttle is definitely conservative! Even the Mormon Air Force is on an 8 hour rule :eek:

This phrase appears in several places in the contract and IMOH, in every case, it needs to be taken out! This phrase is basically a blank check for the company to throw the CBA out the window and screw us over whenever they see fit. With proper planning and staffing there should never be "an operational need".

Also from talking to my buddy at Skywest it sounds like they get credit for the entire time they are out of base on a CDO. He said that they get something like 7-8 hours credit for a LSE or RST high speed. This leads to CDO's actually going senior there as you can credit around 80 hours/month in about 11 days of work.

TillerTemptress
05-24-2017, 11:29 PM
I'd rather work less and not do them, tbh. Although it's moot right now as we haven't had any CDO's in the system for 4+ mo.

veewan
05-24-2017, 11:52 PM
I'd rather work less and not do them, tbh. Although it's moot right now as we haven't had any CDO's in the system for 4+ mo.

It may be moot right now, but if it's not addressed, when the company does decide to bring them back it'll become important. So given the opportunity we may as well address it.

TillerTemptress
05-25-2017, 01:13 AM
Didn't say it shouldn't be. I'm sure they will come back at some point. I think they should be worth 8 hours, personally.

veewan
05-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Didn't say it shouldn't be. I'm sure they will come back at some point. I think they should be worth 8 hours, personally.

Fair enough. Hopefully we'll see the language to make any CDO credit 8 hours.

ShooterMcGavin
05-28-2017, 05:16 PM
The biggest thing you can do to improve reserve is to allow reserve pilots to pick up open time. This will allow you to greatly improve QOL.
You could have a rule that simply says, for any trip in open time, 24 hrs before the report time any reserve pilot can pick it up.
This would reduce the workload on schedulers so it is a win/win.
Reserve pilots could then have some control on their life. If you are a commuter you could grab a trip that helps your commute instead of losing a day becuase the give you a late trip on your last day or early one on first
The company has to assign the open trips anyway so why not allow pilots to pick them up.they would probably find there are much few open trips each day.

Trips are assigned a week out at G7 and AX.

CaptainDooley
05-29-2017, 06:59 PM
Since our line holders can drop trips at any time, we are going to have trips added to open time almost any day. But if reserves could pick up the last minute drops it would improve their QOL.

TBirdie
06-03-2017, 05:04 AM
Hi guys! What is the real time people are sitting on reserve? Do you think it will go up or down? Recruiters are saying 4 months, but I've heard rumors of people who have been on reserve since August...

mpet
06-03-2017, 06:44 AM
I don't know where they're getting that projection from and that is definitely a projection but with the hiring freeze and attrition we seem to be right sizing the pilot group and once its right sized and they continue hiring even if its for attrition only 4 months would be maybe possible depending when a new hire gets in property. Attrition here (the good captain kind) seems good from a 750 or so pilot group. But yes... Some of those on reserve now had unfortunate timing.

AnotherWriter
06-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Also from talking to my buddy at Skywest it sounds like they get credit for the entire time they are out of base on a CDO. He said that they get something like 7-8 hours credit for a LSE or RST high speed. This leads to CDO's actually going senior there as you can credit around 80 hours/month in about 11 days of work.

SkyWest is 2:1 duty RIG up to 12 hours, then 1:1. So a 13 hour TAFB highspeed for them pays 7 hours of credit.

AirBat
06-03-2017, 11:15 AM
I don't know where they're getting that projection from and that is definitely a projection but with the hiring freeze and attrition we seem to be right sizing the pilot group and once its right sized and they continue hiring even if its for attrition only 4 months would be maybe possible depending when a new hire gets in property. Attrition here (the good captain kind) seems good from a 750 or so pilot group. But yes... Some of those on reserve now had unfortunate timing.

Yeah current reserve time means nothing. They'll all be off reserve very soon. New hires.. I think 4 mo is reasonable. We are already back to right size.

CaptainDooley
06-09-2017, 08:37 PM
anyone else have a notification in IOCC that the reserve times for several of their days in June have changed?
In mine it was the first and last day of 3 different stretches of reserve.
It changed from LCR start of 0300 to now it says 0001-0000

Mossback80
06-11-2017, 06:23 PM
anyone else have a notification in IOCC that the reserve times for several of their days in June have changed?
In mine it was the first and last day of 3 different stretches of reserve.
It changed from LCR start of 0300 to now it says 0001-0000
I think I had something similar a couple months ago, though only with a few days and not from LCR. I just let scheduling know and they fixed it right away. Some glitch or something. I got a weird RSV time slot for today that I assume was also a glitch.

glide
06-30-2017, 03:10 PM
Yeah current reserve time means nothing. They'll all be off reserve very soon. New hires.. I think 4 mo is reasonable. We are already back to right size.

Can someone on property provide an idea of the reserve times for a new FO? And also where are new FOs getting assigned for their first base? (Website shows LAX assigned to 12/2016 FOs with Seattle requiring about 3 months longer seniority - true?) Has that 'excess FOs' and 'no reserves flying' problem worked itself out from a few months ago?

I was leaning towards Horizon recently but after today's news, now reconsidering Compass as the best choice to start my aviation career. Gotta decide but there's too many moving parts!

Thanks,
Glide\

Poser765
06-30-2017, 04:00 PM
Can someone on property provide an idea of the reserve times for a new FO? And also where are new FOs getting assigned for their first base? (Website shows LAX assigned to 12/2016 FOs with Seattle requiring about 3 months longer seniority - true?) Has that 'excess FOs' and 'no reserves flying' problem worked itself out from a few months ago?

I was leaning towards Horizon recently but after today's news, now reconsidering Compass as the best choice to start my aviation career. Gotta decide but there's too many moving parts!

Thanks,
Glide\what news? Something going on at horizon?

glide
06-30-2017, 05:55 PM
what news? Something going on at horizon?

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/horizon-air/104008-horizon-cutting-flights-due-pilot-shortage.html

VIRotate
07-01-2017, 11:41 AM

Thanks,
Glide\

It's coming down significantly. We used to have 50-60 reserves at LAX 2-3 months ago. It's down into the 20s now. Days are actually red here. I would estimate that it's 3-4 months for a new hire right now. Maybe 5 at the most. SEA is a whole different animal though. Probably 8-9 months maybe? Of course it will get better with attrition...hopefully. This is the regionals after all.

jungle driver
07-25-2017, 02:35 PM
If I'm on reserve and pick up a seat support for critical pay shouldn't that pay above guarantee? Thats how I'm reading it in the contract but my pay in rainmaker is not showing it above guarantee. I there something I'm missing?

Rogdixon
07-25-2017, 02:55 PM
If I'm on reserve and pick up a seat support for critical pay shouldn't that pay above guarantee? Thats how I'm reading it in the contract but my pay in rainmaker is not showing it above guarantee. I there something I'm missing?

It should be above, any time you pick something up on time off it should be paid above guarantee. Send them a message in rainmaker and have it re coded. Kudos for reading the contract!

Kerizbro
08-29-2017, 01:07 PM
Any update on reserve in LA

veewan
08-29-2017, 01:27 PM
Any update on reserve in LA

Reserve time will be going down, but if you've been following the main Compass forum (Compass Updates - Saga Continues)... the company is threatening to take people's vacation away and treating the contract like toilet paper.

The real problem with the company threatening to revoke vacation time is we might eventually be understaffed to the point of breaching our agreements with DL and AA who own our aircraft. If we cannot fulfill it, toys will be taken from us and placed at another regional that can attract talent.

Kerizbro
08-30-2017, 08:21 PM
Geez, sounds terrible.

veewan
08-30-2017, 08:26 PM
It is trans states running the show, so you can expect it to run like GoJet and TSA.

TillerTemptress
08-30-2017, 09:44 PM
Veewan is just our naysayer. Morale had been on the upswing til the vacation thing...
That said, Horizon is also buying back vacations and Skywest is junior manning people like crazy, so these problems are hardly unique to our little west coast regional.
Still, it's wrong and hopefully the company realizes that in time.

word302
08-30-2017, 10:12 PM
Veewan is just our naysayer. Morale had been on the upswing til the vacation thing...
That said, Horizon is also buying back vacations and Skywest is junior manning people like crazy, so these problems are hardly unique to our little west coast regional.

Like crazy? Please tell me all you know.

TillerTemptress
08-30-2017, 10:53 PM
Like crazy? Please tell me all you know.

Just repeating what I hear from friends. People are talking about it in your Skywest thread even. Feel free to correct the record. :D

veewan
08-31-2017, 04:30 AM

When you say SkyWest is junior manning, are they offering voluntary higher multipliers or are they just forcing people to fly it?
Context is important if you are going to repeat what they are saying.

That's a serious question. From my knowledge SkyWest does not force pilots to cover trips, and they have the flexibility to offer 200% or more on voluntary "junior manning"

Compass might force people to cover trips with the vacation buy-back, but its a terrible deal. They make 150% sound better than it actually works out mathematically... yes its 150% of your vacation credit, but for the month you'd be better off picking up critical pay trips.

zondaracer
08-31-2017, 04:43 AM
Just repeating what I hear from friends. People are talking about it in your Skywest thread even. Feel free to correct the record. :D

SkyWest uses the term "junior manning" but it's voluntary. They call and say "would you be willing to do this junior man trip for time and a half?" Answer "sure I would love to/sorry I've got plans."

veewan
08-31-2017, 04:51 AM
SkyWest uses the term "junior manning" but it's voluntary. They call and say "would you be willing to do this junior man trip for time and a half?" Answer "sure I would love to/sorry I've got plans."

How often are they offering 150%? How about 200%? Do they negotiate to 300% on occasion?

zondaracer
08-31-2017, 05:23 AM
How often are they offering 150%? How about 200%? Do they negotiate to 300% on occasion?

If they are calling you, they always offer 150%, or if you are reserve they say "we are offering at 150% or you can remove a day of reserve later in the month."

They never offer 200% but sometimes you can negotiate it. I've never heard of anyone getting 300%.

veewan
08-31-2017, 05:30 AM
If they are calling you, they always offer 150%, or if you are reserve they say "we are offering at 150% or you can remove a day of reserve later in the month."

They never offer 200% but sometimes you can negotiate it. I've never heard of anyone getting 300%.

Even so, sounds like a much better tactic to cover flying, while keeping morale up. As someone said there is a Compass pilot with a wedding over their awarded vacation time, who might see it cancelled (I am sure the spouse to be and the pilot are thrilled :rolleyes:)

AirBat
08-31-2017, 06:50 AM
They're not going to mess with the pilot with a wedding. Chiefs will always drop those trips especially for YOUR wedding. Maybe not your cousin's housekeeper's aunt tho.

veewan
08-31-2017, 08:05 AM
They're not going to mess with the pilot with a wedding. Chiefs will always drop those trips especially for YOUR wedding. Maybe not your cousin's housekeeper's aunt tho.

That's true, but it's a whole lot nicer when you don't have to get special permission from the chiefs. I'd assume most pilots make plans during their awarded vacation since schedules can vary month to month depending on seniority, bidding ability etc.

Some pilots have pointed out that they had nonrefundable money tied up during their planned vacation.

Arguing that other companies offering tons of open flying at 150% (and some at 200%) is worse than being forced to fly when you expected time off is illogical to me. I'd rather see more premium pay at a higher value, than be forced to work.

Rogdixon
08-31-2017, 08:16 AM
The company will reimburse any charges to pilots that are non-refundable if vacation is postponed. So at least that's a thing.

Poser765
08-31-2017, 10:47 AM
Meanwhile I'm just sitting here not caring until vacations actually get withheld.

veewan
08-31-2017, 04:13 PM
The company will reimburse any charges to pilots that are non-refundable if vacation is postponed. So at least that's a thing.

Unfortunately they won't be able to reimburse the time. It is one thing money cannot buy.

Meanwhile I'm just sitting here not caring until vacations actually get withheld.

Ironic, sounds like TSH planning.

VIRotate
08-31-2017, 05:31 PM

Mistake number 1: answering your phone on a day off. If we start junior manning, no way I'm answering a call from a 612 number on my day off.

The new guy
08-31-2017, 08:24 PM
Mistake number 1: answering your phone on a day off. If we start junior manning, no way I'm answering a call from a 612 number on my day off.

Ha they will start calling from different state area codes that's what Republic did.

VIRotate
08-31-2017, 09:34 PM
Ha they will start calling from different state area codes that's what Republic did.

I'll just let every unknown number go to voicemail. Problem solved!

Poser765
09-01-2017, 03:06 AM
Ha they will start calling from different state area codes that's what Republic did.the good thing about RAH is that if you DID answer on a day off you could tell them to pound sand. You had no obligation to accept an assignment.

prplmnkydshwshr
09-12-2017, 03:06 PM
Coming off of an upgrade, and you are given reserve days after OE, how do you know what RAP you are supposed to be, or does it just go by whatever they need those days since you never bid? Does it even matter since they can change them anyway?

SpeedyT
10-17-2017, 08:01 AM
What is the current reserve time for SEA/LAX? Heard it was still at 6 months?

PC12
10-17-2017, 08:24 AM
What is the current reserve time for SEA/LAX? Heard it was still at 6 months?

A little longer as of now, but thatís because there was no hiring this year till June. Those June guys seem to be finished with training now so I would say it will trend to 6 months or a little less on reserve. And this is for LAX.

SpeedyT
10-17-2017, 12:43 PM
I see but dam 6 months. Thanks

Poser765
10-17-2017, 02:15 PM
I see but dam 6 months. Thankswhat an amazing time to be alive... A time when only being on reserve for six months is a bad thing.

VIRotate
10-17-2017, 02:52 PM
what an amazing time to be alive... A time when only being on reserve for six months is a bad thing.

Haha this.

I bet by March 2018, reserve will be less than 4 months.

JonnyRockets
10-29-2017, 08:21 PM
Hello, just got hired. Military background and no 121. Anyone have an example of a reserve schedule they can post? Wondering what to expect after IOE. Thank you all.

Poser765
10-29-2017, 08:27 PM
Hello, just got hired. Military background and no 121. Anyone have an example of a reserve schedule they can post? Wondering what to expect after IOE. Thank you all.plan 11 days off a month. Blocks of 2-6 reserve days. Mostly 2 days off in a row then one chunk of 4 days off somewhere in the month.

FlytheSky
10-29-2017, 10:04 PM
To add to that, you can request only one day off in between reserve blocks. Then you can stack up your 19 days on each month and try to get a bigger block of days off to go somewhere (home if it's a crazy commute, or you can vacation somewhere). I know people who do this so they combine a bunch of days off at the end of one month and the beginning of the next. It's not mandatory, and it requires you to waive parts of the contract, but it's totally possible with PBS. Once you finish training, ask the CA you're on a trip with how they bid on PBS. It's easiest to show someone how to use it in person and have that dialog rather than explain it all online, IMHO. Welcome to Compass and hope to see you on the line!

JonnyRockets
10-30-2017, 09:32 AM
Great info. Thanks. Looking forward to learning from and flying with you all.

What is the mix of AR/Short/Long during these blocks or is it all of one?

mpet
10-30-2017, 09:43 AM

Youll have short call until you have some seniority. LCR goes seniorish, is awarded all month long and some months they don't have it. AR goes to the reserve pilot with the least credit in the 1 and 2 day silos OR as operationally necessary :/. 2 day silo often gets PM and 1 day silo AM. You'll probably sit ready a few times a month. The less reserve blocks you have, the less times you fall into a 1 or 2 day silo. The less chance they have to give you AR.

Poser765
10-30-2017, 09:48 AM

What is the mix of AR/Short/Long during these blocks or is it all of one?I can't remember the exact number but long call is supposed to be a percentage of over all reserves for the month. 5% maybe? Someone else can say for sure. This is assuming the company doesn't deem it operationally necessary to not have long call for a month... Which they can do. The last couple of months we've had none.

You'll be short call by default and you can bid for either rap 1 which is from 0400-1800 or a rap 3 which is 1000-0000 I think. I don't think we can bid for other rap periods. Could be wrong.

Airport Ready just gets handed out as needed. It's all laid out in the contract how it gets assigned but TL: DR is that it goes to guys with one or two days of reserve left. Generally it works that way, but I've seen guys in the 5 day silo get ar1.

How often you sit ready is dynamic. Last month I sat ready twice! I've had some months where I've done it two or three times each week. There are contractual limits on how often we can be made to do it, but again the company can ignore that due to operational necessity. That phrase pops up in our contract frequently and the company can define what that means on a whim.

JetDoc
10-30-2017, 09:51 AM

For context and perspective, the company hasn't awarded long call for the past two bid periods.

JonnyRockets
10-30-2017, 09:55 AM
It sounds like the strategy of bidding reserve exclusively for QOL is not all its cracked up to be unless you live next to the airport. Thoughts?
With LA traffic being unpredictable, what is the tolerance level if you are late?

JetDoc
10-30-2017, 10:36 AM
With LA traffic being unpredictable, what is the tolerance level if you are late?

None to zero.

FlytheSky
10-30-2017, 10:41 AM
It sounds like the strategy of bidding reserve exclusively for QOL is not all its cracked up to be unless you live next to the airport. Thoughts?

With LAX being a bigger base with more reserves, it's less likely that you'll sit ready reserve in LAX compared to the other bases. As far as traffic tolerances go for LAX? Do your best and look up traffic on your phone. For those times when traffic is worse than normal or you just missed the bus to the Eagle's Nest, call scheduling and ask to get patched through to your captain (you can say whatever you want here, but I'd recommend avoiding saying you're running late). Then leave a message for your captain (or if he/she picks up just tell them you're running a couple minutes late). Usually they'll understand and help pick up the slack so you can still get an on time departure. Obviously this should be the exception rather than the norm, but hopefully that takes at least a little stress off.

Poser765
10-30-2017, 12:17 PM
With LA traffic you just have to give yourself plenty of time. It sucks, but that's any job you work. Do what you need to do to not be late.

My crashpad was about a ten minute drive to the employee lot. If my report was 1000 I'd try to leave no later than 0830. Maybe even 0800 if it is an American trip. It sucks, but you do what you got to do.

Fortunately like the guy above said if you are late in spite of your due diligence, scheduling shouldn't give you any issue.

The problem is, with an American trip, you have two very irregular busses to catch. I've parked my car with tons of time to spare then by the time I make it to 52H I'm wondering if I'm going to be late. I've called scheduling, reported what's going on, and never gotten any grief.

poorflyer
10-31-2017, 06:49 PM
The Waze app has a nice feature where you can plan a future trip and tells you when to leave with while planning for the future average traffic. Its a good way to plan in the beginning until you get a feel for the traffic flow. There are peaks and troughs just like any other city.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1