Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Horizon interview process

JRReaume
06-03-2017, 11:16 AM
I have an interview with Horizon on June 21st. My first airline interview. Has anyone recently interviewed with Horizon who can give me a run down on what the interview entails?

Also any current QX pilots who can tell me about the lifestyle?

Thanks

thwhite2000
06-03-2017, 06:31 PM
I interviewed at QX at the end of April, for the second time. I had previously been an FO there from 2014-2015. Anyway, the process is much easier now, without the sim. Previous gouges on WFFD and aviationinterviews.com are still spot on. You'll do an HR portion with some TMAAT questions, a chief pilot interview, which is some more TMAAT questions, logbook and certificate review. Then you'll do a technical portion - probably with a QX FO. In the tech, they'll give you a scenario going from one small PNW airport to another. They'll give you a dispatch release with your flight info, weather and NOTAMS. Then they'll give you a few minutes to take notes and make a go-no go decision, and then go down a list of questions related to the scenario.

Really straight forward. All the people were very nice and welcoming, really trying to put you at ease. Being your first interview though, read gouges from the above sites I mentioned, study Everything Explained if you have a copy, and I highly suggest picking up a copy of "Checklist for Success", by Cheryl Cage, if you don't have it already. Her book is pretty inexpensive, and it really gives you some good questions to start building your inventory of stories to handle a wide variety of TMAAT questions. Not that you're not on top of that already, I'm just making a friendly suggestions without assuming you know what to expect.

Best of luck! Just prep thoroughly, be real, and be yourself.

cactusflyer
06-03-2017, 06:55 PM
The lifestyle at QX varies a lot, depending on whether you're commuting and where you're based, but there are some pretty good descriptions in the latter pages of the "What's happening at Horizon and Jets?" thread.

Griever
06-03-2017, 08:31 PM
I have an interview with Horizon on June 21st. My first airline interview. Has anyone recently interviewed with Horizon who can give me a run down on what the interview entails?

Also any current QX pilots who can tell me about the lifestyle?

Thanks

Do yourself a favor... read the heck out of the thread mentioned above. If you're willing to put up with everything mentioned, I salute you.

But if you read through it and get the feeling that, even though our contract is solid, quality of life here is not that great, then run.

Like the wind.

I don't know what your reasons are for interviewing here, but take the advice from someone on the inside: you can do better somewhere else.

If it's bases you want, Skywest and Compass offer similar bases.

If it's pay you want, any other regional will allow you to take home more pay (don't look at hourly rate, it means nothing)

If it's an interview at Alaska that you want, understand that even if you get hired you will get stuck in a pool (SEPARATE from the regular hire pool) where you may not get a class date before other pilots working for another airline.

If you like watching management crap on your contract and payroll screw up your paycheck, this place is for you.

Choose wisely.

JRReaume
06-04-2017, 11:29 AM
Thwhite, So you're a returning pilot? What did you do in the interim and what made you decide to return to QX? If you don't mind the questions.

Also, can anyone tell me why Horizon is QX?

snackysmores
06-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Thwhite, So you're a returning pilot? What did you do in the interim and what made you decide to return to QX? If you don't mind the questions.

It's our IATO code, every airline has one. Faster to type Qx than Horizon Air, or 'OO' for Skywest.

JRReaume
06-04-2017, 03:55 PM
Right, I knew that. I meant why QX as opposed to HZ or HA or whatever?

thwhite2000
06-04-2017, 08:21 PM

I left to fly contract ISR in the Middle East for 5x my salary. However, by the end of my first year, my marriage was crumbling due to the extended deployments. So I came to my current employer flying 135 charter. They promised a 6 month upgrade since they were growing fast and I already had a type. It wasn't in writing, but I took the gamble - a year and a half later, it still hasn't paid off.

My options are to 1) stay an SIC on a King Air and upgrade in another 1-2 years, 2) go to SkyWest and make a 2-leg commute to Detroit or 3) go to QX, and probably commute to MFR for a couple months before getting back to PDX, where I live.

Either option is better than my current situation. They both offer a clear path to upgrade and it will look better on my apps to get to a destination airline. They both offer longevity pay raises and more vacation than I have now. Personally, I don't think SkyWest is worth a 2-leg commute to Detroit over QX, but that's just me.

word302
06-04-2017, 09:03 PM
I left to fly contract ISR in the Middle East for 5x my salary. However, by the end of my first year, my marriage was crumbling due to the extended deployments. So I came to my current employer flying 135 charter. They promised a 6 month upgrade since they were growing fast and I already had a type. It wasn't in writing, but I took the gamble - a year and a half later, it still hasn't paid off.

My options are to 1) stay an SIC on a King Air and upgrade in another 1-2 years, 2) go to SkyWest and make a 2-leg commute to Detroit or 3) go to QX, and probably commute to MFR for a couple months before getting back to PDX, where I live.

Either option is better than my current situation. They both offer a clear path to upgrade and it will look better on my apps to get to a destination airline. They both offer longevity pay raises and more vacation than I have now. Personally, I don't think SkyWest is worth a 2-leg commute to Detroit over QX, but that's just me.

For the record, you would likely get PDX at OO within a few months of completing training. Might have to start in ORD, but not likely. People are getting west coast bases before finishing training on the ERJ.

snackysmores
06-04-2017, 09:47 PM
For the record, you would likely get PDX at OO within a few months of completing training. Might have to start in ORD, but not likely. People are getting west coast bases before finishing training on the ERJ.

Yeah but if he wants to upgrade at OO he's going right back to detroit again. Tough call, depends on how much you value your time.

thwhite2000
06-05-2017, 05:13 AM
Yeah but if he wants to upgrade at OO he's going right back to detroit again. Tough call, depends on how much you value your time.

Exactly what I was thinking.

word302
06-05-2017, 06:24 AM

Meh. With the new bases opening there will be plenty of movement out west. Might have to wait 2 to 3 years but that's not too bad considering the alternatives. Detroit does not have ERJs.

SIUav8er
06-07-2017, 04:29 AM
Its amazing that Horizon is now the bottom feeder "quick upgrade" regional.

Show up to the "interview" with the minimum requirements and a pulse, and you will be hired. The training is the new interview, just pass training and youll have a job.

snackysmores
06-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Its amazing that Horizon is now the bottom feeder "quick upgrade" regional.

Show up to the "interview" with the minimum requirements and a pulse, and you will be hired. The training is the new interview, just pass training and youll have a job.

Where did you get 'quick upgrade' from? It's still about 2.5 years...

And yes, apparently our training failure rates on the dash have never been higher than what they are now. Our training department is and has always been top notch too.

Taylor814ce
06-08-2017, 05:13 AM
Where did you get 'quick upgrade' from? It's still about 2.5 years...

And yes, apparently our training failure rates on the dash have never been higher than what they are now. Our training department is and has always been top notch too.

Where are they having trouble? Systems or sim ?

Is the training pass rate for E175 any better?

snackysmores
06-08-2017, 11:00 AM
Where are they having trouble? Systems or sim ?

Is the training pass rate for E175 any better?

It's the sim. I haven't heard of anyone failing the E175 program, it's one of the easiest planes in the world to fly.

invertedheli
06-08-2017, 11:20 AM
Are new hires in the Q getting a PIC type rating after training or is it an SIC type?

snackysmores
06-08-2017, 12:34 PM
Are new hires in the Q getting a PIC type rating after training or is it an SIC type?

PIC

filler

word302
06-08-2017, 02:46 PM

PIC type is required for all 121 flying as of 3 years ago.

JRReaume
06-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Well, y'all just scared the hell out of me training wise. Maybe I should
get on a waiting list for the Jet since I plan to live in Seattle anyway and just stick it out in the C172 until I can get a jet class date?

Anybody have thoughts?

I like to think I'm just as good a pilot as the next guy but there's no "next guy" who wants a 121 training failure on his record...

snackysmores
06-08-2017, 11:14 PM
Well, y'all just scared the hell out of me training wise. Maybe I should
get on a waiting list for the Jet since I plan to live in Seattle anyway and just stick it out in the C172 until I can get a jet class date?

Anybody have thoughts?

I like to think I'm just as good a pilot as the next guy but there's no "next guy" who wants a 121 training failure on his record...

Even if you come here and get the jet you will still upgrade in the Q400 which not only will delay the inevitable BUT it will make the transition even more difficult switching from an airplane that does everything for you to an airplane that does everything it can to try and kill you...and you have to be a captain calling the shots with 0 time in the aircraft. Not saying it can't be done but I already know a LOT of people are going to fail that transition, especially the people we've been hiring lately.

N19906
06-09-2017, 12:09 AM
The Q400 eats the slow-witted for breakfast. :eek:
I'm finding myself "coaching" more often to avoid fubars on the line. VNAV is the most common culprit by far.

Griever
06-09-2017, 07:27 PM
I'm finding myself "coaching" more often to avoid fubars on the line. VNAV is the most common culprit by far.

It gets everybody eventually. I've seen experienced captains fly thru an altitude because the flicked the thumb wheel during capture and the altsel turned off.

I've seen level vnav plans turn I to a slow vnav climb. If you don't watch this thing 24/7 it's WILL GET YOU.

JRReaume
06-09-2017, 07:40 PM
So happy to know there's so much to look forward to.

snackysmores
06-09-2017, 11:18 PM
So happy to know there's so much to look forward to.

https://media.tenor.com/images/eda865b2c0a5edf691329c88d1337f92/tenor.gif

LineGrinder400
06-12-2017, 12:53 AM

It gets everybody eventually. I've seen experienced captains fly thru an altitude because the flicked the thumb wheel during capture and the altsel turned off.

I've seen level vnav plans turn I to a slow vnav climb. If you don't watch this thing 24/7 it's WILL GET YOU.

...an airplane that does everything it can to try and kill you...
Well, y'all just scared the hell out of me

You guys are brutal.. I'd be scared too hearing all of this. Coming from someone who flew this plane for many years here is what I remember and perhaps will ease some fears:

1) It's not as horrific to fly as it's being made out to be. Yes, it is a turboprop with associated more switches/levers than a comparable jet but it still has a glass cockpit and the FMS is straight forward for the most part. And yes, it does have its quirks but most became manageable after learning the plane. It’s just about learning the quirks.

2) It's not the greatest hand flying airplane (it's a heavier feel and it surprises some) but it's not trying to kill you every second. Just staying ahead of the plane and monitoring VNAV guidance to make sure it's doing what you want are the keys.

3) Landing the thing can take some getting use to, but once the flatter sight picture in the flare and holding power into the touchdown is figured out, it's not that bad. That being said, unexpected hard landings will happen.

4) Performance is solid.. lots of power and speed for a turboprop. The corresponding quicker pace especially on shorter legs might take some getting use to especially if coming from a G/A background. But just like learning any aircraft, it's all about getting the flows and procedures down cold on the ground and the transition will be much easier.

5) Like others have mentioned, great training program. Although different now then when I went through, still hearing it's one of the best in the regionals.

That all being said, as can be read all through these threads, do your due diligence in research before committing to QX. Great pilot group and not so long ago one of the most respected regionals by pilots. But times are different and QX has major issues to figure out with staffing and its future role within the Air Group. Also, many lifers remain there so while movement is occurring, be aware that puzzling “yes” votes to concession laden contract proposals seem to now be common place even in today’s market. And if you do get the Q, hard schedules will be a way of life until you fly another airplane. Lastly, when/if a PDX jet base opens, expect the jet to quickly go senior. Just my two cents. Best of luck

WSPLT
06-12-2017, 11:33 AM
Don't let them scare you about the Q400, yes it has its quirks and gotchas, but I guarantee that you aren't going to make any mistakes that others haven't made many times before you. Honestly I like flying the Q400, it actually requires you to do pilot stuff, rather than strictly babysit automated systems, and it is actually a very capable airplane.

I thoroughly enjoy any opportunity I get to turn all the automation off and just hand fly the thing. After all, I became a pilot to fly airplanes.

As far as the training, you'll get out of it what you put into it. Study hard before you get to ground school, know the material and the flows. Do EXACTLY what they tell you to do in ground school, and work hard. Keep studying when you get to your sim. The more prepared you are when you get to the sim, the smoother it will go (the first couple won't go smoothly, expect that).

The training department is great, they are very good at what they do, and they will do everything they can to help you.

Remember, everybody wants you to pass, and they will help you do it.. but you do have to put the work in and earn it!

snackysmores
06-12-2017, 06:36 PM
Don't let them scare you about the Q400, yes it has its quirks and gotchas, but I guarantee that you aren't going to make any mistakes that others haven't made many times before you. Honestly I like flying the Q400, it actually requires you to do pilot stuff, rather than strictly babysit automated systems, and it is actually a very capable airplane.

I thoroughly enjoy any opportunity I get to turn all the automation off and just hand fly the thing. After all, I became a pilot to fly airplanes.

As far as the training, you'll get out of it what you put into it. Study hard before you get to ground school, know the material and the flows. Do EXACTLY what they tell you to do in ground school, and work hard. Keep studying when you get to your sim. The more prepared you are when you get to the sim, the smoother it will go (the first couple won't go smoothly, expect that).

The training department is great, they are very good at what they do, and they will do everything they can to help you.

Remember, everybody wants you to pass, and they will help you do it.. but you do have to put the work in and earn it!

I agree with everything you said, my comments about it "being brutal" is more tailored to someone coming in as a Q400 Captain with zero experience on the airplane.

Learning the Q400 is tough enough as it is, and while our training department is excellent they cannot hold your hand during the simulator MV and LOE events. You will be expected to make life or death decisions on this airplane and and no one gets a free pass to the left seat. You must prove that you are a leader and all I'm trying to say is that the transition won't be an easy one when one has no experience.

RemiDenton
06-28-2017, 12:02 AM
Previous gouges on WFFD and aviationinterviews.com are still spot on.

A simple google is failing me. What is WFFD?

snackysmores
06-28-2017, 12:23 AM
A simple google is failing me. What is WFFD?

Will fly for food

airlineinterviews.com works well too