Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Bonus and Training

traveler
06-20-2017, 06:59 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know what strings are attached to the $20k bonus? Are new hires signing a contract for some number of years of employment?

I was also told to let Horizon pay for ATP-CTP. Do they do this with or without strings attached?

Thanks

DrainTheSwamp
06-29-2017, 11:48 PM
I wouldn`t trust anything Horizon management says. They are not even honoring the latest LOA.

SIUav8er
07-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Don't come to Horizon unless you want to be constantly surprised. The management here is out of touch with reality and is constantly changing the rules. It's a minefield for new airline pilots and I would strongly suggest you look elsewhere for your first airline job.

traveler
07-02-2017, 01:10 PM
As an outsider, I have no idea how management is not abiding by the LOA. What is an LOA?

What do you mean by they are constantly changing the rules? Why is it a minefield for new airline pilots? What would make an airline not a minefield?

And, anyone have any idea if there are strings attached to the bonus or training?

SIUav8er
07-02-2017, 02:26 PM
As an outsider, I have no idea how management is not abiding by the LOA. What is an LOA?

What do you mean by they are constantly changing the rules? Why is it a minefield for new airline pilots? What would make an airline not a minefield?

And, anyone have any idea if there are strings attached to the bonus or training?

LOA: Letter of Agreement. Its a slight ammendment to the CBA. The latest LOA was brought about because the company wanted it. So, the union negotiated with the company for the changes (LOA), presented it to the pilots for ratification, it passed. Now, the company is selectively choosing what aspects of the LOA they want to abide by. Its insane.

Horizon is getting very creative with how they are scheduling pilots. For example, they are abusing the fact that newly qualified FO's only make a reduced amount of credit until the month following completion of IOE. This basically means you are working for free!

Another one is encouraging pilots to accept extended assignments, regardless of how fatiguing it may be. It is hard to stand up to crew scheduling and refuse an assignment due to fatigue! Especially as a new hire.

Do you really want to come to work for a struggling company that is severely inderstaffed, canceling flights, and most likely will be parking aircraft due to inability to staff them? Im not sure why anyone woukd waste thier time by coming here at this point. Have you even read the other threads on here about Horizon?

You should apply to Skywest. Its a much better place to work.

DrainTheSwamp
07-02-2017, 04:08 PM
They interpret everything in the contract to their advantage. If it`s not right then their comment is grieve it. Grieving takes a year to sort out so by default they win. An airline cancelling flights is not were you want to go with so many other choices.

boeingcargoguy
07-04-2017, 03:32 PM
Welcome to the free market! Horizon will obviously pay as little as possible until the pain to the operation (cancelled or delayed flights) becomes too great. AA noticed a possible problem in the future with UAL and DAL contracts paying significantly more so AA coughed up an 8% raise outside of section 6. I imagine the news article may move things along somewhat as the public is now more aware of the situation and Alaska may apply some pressure to ensure preservation of the brand and the flight schedule.

N19906
07-04-2017, 05:52 PM
Alaska won't "apply pressure". They're the root cause this is happening. Horizon doesn't do a thing without it being signed off on by Alaska. Remember, it's just one big company that's running two different divisions:
AS/QX.

flynshoe748
07-04-2017, 07:09 PM
PM me if you want some quality information.

ColoradoAviator
07-26-2017, 05:14 AM
How about FO seniority out of SEA? Can a new FO hold it out of training?

snackysmores
07-26-2017, 11:56 AM
How about FO seniority out of SEA? Can a new FO hold it out of training?

about 5 months after DOH

Clrd2TO
12-18-2017, 07:39 AM
How long is it taking a new hire to get to BOI? During training, they were telling us that all new hires were being sent to MFR.

Fly406
03-10-2018, 04:07 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know what strings are attached to the $20k bonus? Are new hires signing a contract for some number of years of employment?

I was also told to let Horizon pay for ATP-CTP. Do they do this with or without strings attached?

Thanks

I am going through ATP CTP now and they pay for all of it but I haven't seen any strings yet. Also the bonus is pretty convoluted but here is the most recent thing I have seen.

Q400: 10k upon completion of IOE, and a 5k retention bonus @ 18 months of service.
Additional exp bonuses are 5k between 500-749hrs in type, 10k additional from 750 up.
E175: 5k upon completion of IOE, the rest is the same.

Hope this helps.

Varsity
03-10-2018, 08:53 PM
I am going through ATP CTP now and they pay for all of it but I haven't seen any strings yet. Also the bonus is pretty convoluted but here is the most recent thing I have seen.

Q400: 10k upon completion of IOE, and a 5k retention bonus @ 18 months of service.
Additional exp bonuses are 5k between 500-749hrs in type, 10k additional from 750 up.

Hope this helps.

So they aren't even paying out the bonuses that are being advertised? 20k+?

Stinger6
03-11-2018, 08:23 AM
My $0.02 re: the bonus (or at least my understanding of it...)
"Up to $25,000": this depends on Q or Jet, and your hours/quality of experience.
I am expecting: $12,500 at conclusion of IOE and $12,500 at 1 yr DOH, based on choosing the Q and previous qualifying experience. 406 is right, it's a little screwy, and his breakdown is how I remember it...there's a table of rows and columns. Go further right for the Q and further up for previous experience until you reach $25k. Another well qualified pilot in my interview pool plotted his bonus at $15k.

Stay tuned, we'll see if this is true.

Fly406 and I will be at indoc in about a week. This is toward the top of many lists of questions.

trc8301
03-11-2018, 08:38 AM

Hope this helps.

You were told 18 months...or 12? I was told end of year one.

Stinger6
03-11-2018, 06:07 PM
I was told one year from date o' hire.

BigfatQ
03-11-2018, 08:38 PM
I'm supposed to get 10 after ioe and 10 after a year in the Q with no prior experience, at least that's what they told us

TyWebb
03-14-2018, 11:39 AM
There's nothing in writing for these bonuses? Taking someone's word isn't what it used to be, especially in dealing with a corporation.

deadpixel
03-15-2018, 02:11 PM
I just interviewed yesterday.

10K for the Q paid once you complete IOE. Another 5 in 18 months from completing IOE

5K for the 175 again once IOE is done, and another 5 in 18 months.

Then you have the ability to get another 10 broken down between how much 91/121/135 multi engine turbine PIC time you have. Don't remember the breakdown since I didn't qualify.

emersonbiguns
03-16-2018, 04:55 AM
Compass bonus program was presented with the CJO and the terms were required to be signed upon at that time.

FWIW

Btoflyer
03-16-2018, 09:34 AM
Hey y'all, I was hired into the Embraer in Oct 17 and am now flying the line. I received a 5k bonus after IOE and expect another 5K after one year at the company (Oct 18). The bonuses have gone up since then, but it does sound like these are tied to experience. The company will put the money in writing in your offer letter. If you don't see it there, raise your hand and ask why.
And for the record, I like it a lot here. Unlike other places I've worked, I enjoy the people sitting next to me on the flight deck. That's an intangible that you can't measure until you're there.