Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Still hiring into MD-80's?

panoose
06-21-2017, 10:41 AM
Hello. I understand they are going to retire the MD-80's in a few years. I assume they are still hiring new FO's into them? I've heard conflicting info recently.

ecam
06-21-2017, 11:20 AM
They ran a 757 class in December, and newhires got it, even though it was publicly announced then that the 757 wouldn't fly past 2017. So I'd say some MD classes will continue, but probably not as many as in the past.

Beretta01
06-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Hello. I understand they are going to retire the MD-80's in a few years. I assume they are still hiring new FO's into them? I've heard conflicting info recently.

Yes, although I'm not sure how much longer there will be a significant amount of 80 new hires; probably a small portion of some of the classes....

LAS will be the last base to transition after SFB....both in "late 2019". Hiring in the past 6 months has slightly favored the Bus. The next moves in the transition are AVL(in November), the 757 in December(most of which was just taken care of in this last vacancy award), and then SFB/LAS.

JustWatching
06-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Yes, although I'm not sure how much longer there will be a significant amount of 80 new hires; probably a small portion of some of the classes....

LAS will be the last base to transition after SFB....both in "late 2019". Hiring in the past 6 months has slightly favored the Bus. The next moves in the transition are AVL(in November), the 757 in December(most of which was just taken care of in this last vacancy award), and then SFB/LAS.

There will continue to be a plethora of MD80 new hires as current MD drivers transition. Look at the July 7 upgrade class.... 16 of them in it. Upgrades and new hires won't stop.

They will continue to hire into and upgrade in the 80 until the very end. Those that get it moving forward will likely not have to worry about living out the full equipment lock, if that's any condolence.