Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Global Hawk Down

HuggyU2
06-22-2017, 12:16 AM
An RQ-4 crashed near Mt Whitney, while enroute to Beale from Edwards.
No ejection attempt was made, and no survivors are reported at the crash site.

Spy Plane on Routine Flight to Beale Air Force Base Crashes Near Mt. Whitney | FOX40 (http://fox40.com/2017/06/21/spy-plane-on-routine-flight-to-beale-air-force-base-crashes-near-mt-whitney/)

C130driver
06-22-2017, 08:29 AM
You guys were saying about automated planes?

Sam York
06-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Good. No blue car in a driveway, no one running around town trying to intercept a wife who is out grocery shopping and no squadron dude hunting around a playground trying to find a kid to send home. That sh1t sucks.

Hacker15e
06-23-2017, 03:29 PM
Did the Beale leadership have a roll call with the manned HAISR personnel to toast their fallen comrade?

rickair7777
06-23-2017, 04:19 PM
Did the Beale leadership have a roll call with the manned HAISR personnel to toast their fallen comrade?

No but they're doing a stand-down for RPA operators, and will make counseling available as needed :p

CrimsonEclipse
06-23-2017, 10:45 PM
You guys were saying about automated planes?

From the article:

"The RQ-4 has one of the best flight safety records and is considered one of the safest platforms in the Air Force Fleet."

Hacker15e
06-24-2017, 05:48 AM
From the article:

"The RQ-4 has one of the best flight safety records and is considered one of the safest platforms in the Air Force Fleet."

Missing from the end of that statement: "...because anyone who says otherwise will be branded a heretic by the Church of UAVs in the Air Force."

Grumble
06-25-2017, 07:06 AM
The bigger question is how many of these things crash that we don't hear about because it's not so public?

The model airplane club is alive and well.

UAL T38 Phlyer
06-25-2017, 07:34 AM
The bigger question is how many of these things crash that we don't hear about because it's not so public?

I believe in the first four years, they lost 12 out of 30.

Years ago, a friend of mine was a very high up the chain in the AOR (can't remember which country he was deployed to), but they lost one at night over the 'stan....and never did find the wreckage.

They (still!!) don't even know what country it crashed in. :eek:

C130driver
06-25-2017, 07:40 AM
They (RPAs) are a huge pain in the a$$ to other traffic in Afghanistan and other AORs. Too many near misses to count. Before pilot training all the propaganda Nazis were saying how every pilot will fly RPAs in their Air Force careers and how it is the "wave of the future," several years later most pilots I know in the AF will retire without ever having flown one. (FWIW they do an amazing job at specific mission sets and killing bad guys.)

Anyone who thinks autonomous airliners are on the horizon for anyone actually flying today is smoking some special type of dope.

Hobbit64
06-25-2017, 07:43 AM
They (RPAs) are a huge pain in the a$$ to other traffic in Afghanistan and other AORs. Too many near misses to count. Before pilot training all the propaganda Nazis were saying how every pilot will fly RPAs in their Air Force careers and how it is the "wave of the future," several years later most pilots I know in the AF will retire without ever having flown one. (FWIW they do an amazing job at specific mission sets and killing bad guys.)

Anyone who thinks autonomous airliners are on the horizon for anyone actually flying today is smoking some special type of dope.
Yep!!!
I Hated hearing they were in a stack.

HuggyU2
06-25-2017, 06:31 PM
I believe in the first four years, they lost 12 out of 30.

That number seems high, but did you know the first crash of the RQ-4 (the #2 vehicle, IIRC) was due to a test going on at Nellis, where they practiced sending the "flight terminate" signal... and they didn't know there was an RQ-4 over China Lake and within signal range?

Yes, the RQ-4 at 40-something-thousand feet received the terminate command, and dutifully stopped flying and spun into the Earth... just like it was supposed to. Well done!!

And, yes, it had some expensive sensors on board (EO and ASARS).

Brilliant.

UAL T38 Phlyer
06-25-2017, 08:39 PM
:eek::eek:

No, did not know about that!

The numbers are from an Aviation Week article I read early in the program, ie long ago, and ie, I may be off. At the time, the Navy was debating getting into the program.

The lasting impressions on me from the article: 1. I was astounded at the loss rate percentage (I could see that happening with a Pred, flying a piston in lower-altitude weather), and 2. I think they were about $30 million each.

Otterbox
06-26-2017, 04:05 AM

2-3 of the smaller ones (if not more) seem to crash every quarter overseas...

tunes
06-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Yep!!!
I Hated hearing they were in a stack.

and when they were and "lost link" was said, everyone scattered.

PurpleToolBox
06-27-2017, 10:47 PM
This was written back in 2014. Lots have happened since.

When drones fall from the sky | The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/06/20/when-drones-fall-from-the-sky/)

detpilot
07-17-2017, 08:56 AM

When drones fall from the sky | The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/06/20/when-drones-fall-from-the-sky/)This article was great! I actually laughed out loud at a few points!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

tomgoodman
07-17-2017, 11:51 AM

When drones fall from the sky | The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/06/20/when-drones-fall-from-the-sky/)

Si, El Guapo. :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XCJMjLRe15k

Woodro
07-19-2017, 11:19 PM
A buddy crashed one back in the day. I asked him "what did you do after the crash". His reply "I went to lunch".

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1