Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Commutair jet deliveries halted?

C172
06-24-2017, 03:52 AM
I'm hearing from a very reliable source that Commutair is no longer taking jet deliveries acccording to the FAA and they are now limited to 20 total ERJs. What's going on?

Saucy Dingo
06-24-2017, 04:32 AM
I'm hearing from a very reliable source that Commutair is no longer taking jet deliveries acccording to the FAA and they are now limited to 20 total ERJs. What's going on?Which flight attendant told you that?

Latest email to the pilots indicates we are on track to continue taking deliveries of the 40 145s, and actively negotiating with United for an additional 21 145s to replace the DHC-8 fleet. With the training bubble shrinking they have doubled the size of the latest upgrade class. They also say they will increase hiring soon but I'll believe that when I see it.

C172
06-24-2017, 04:42 AM
Which flight attendant told you that?

Latest email to the pilots indicates we are on track to continue taking deliveries of the 40 145s, and actively negotiating with United for an additional 21 145s to replace the DHC-8 fleet. With the training bubble shrinking they have doubled the size of the latest upgrade class. They also say they will increase hiring soon but I'll believe that when I see it.

It wasn't from a flight attendant. I'll leave it at that. I don't blame them when our D:0 is like 57% and A:14 is 60% for the month.

Saucy Dingo
06-24-2017, 04:49 AM
It wasn't from a flight attendant. I'll leave it at that. I don't blame them when our D:0 is like 57% and A:14 is 60% for the month.1. The FAA doesn't care about performance.
2. That's what you'll see when most of your flights are out of EWR.

jacburn
06-24-2017, 08:35 AM
I'm hearing from a very reliable source that Commutair is no longer taking jet deliveries acccording to the FAA and they are now limited to 20 total ERJs. What's going on?

So I guess that plane from IGN to ALB on 6/22 that was on the flow board is not complying with your "reliable" source.

aviatorpr
06-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Very ironic we just got an email from the COO last night regarding the jet deliveries and how they are trying to negotiate another 21 jets and you come on here with this flamebait. Sad, find something better to do with your time

Cirrusly
06-24-2017, 12:50 PM
Yeah I'm not buying itů Tell me again why the FAA would care?

DirkDiggler
06-24-2017, 08:56 PM
I've also heard that. I heard it was because of a safety concern. 2 stories that are floating around and don't really want to detail on a public forum, so I'll be brief. 1st story was a jumpseater was upfront on a C5 flight on the 145, both pilots were distracted looking at charts with the thrust at idle, lost the speed, got the shaker, pilots were not initiating a recovery and the jumpseater pushed the thrust to max...jumpseater was a 145 pilot from another airline. I've heard this from a guy that knows said jumpseater.

2nd story that is floating around was with a United guy jumpseating with a seat in the back on the 145. The pilots proceed to initiate the takeoff with the flaps at 0, flaps go down to 9 in the middle of the takeoff, and jumpseater and the C5 CA have a huge blowout at the end of the flight after he asked what was with the flaps. As they say there are two sides to every story and then there's the truth. So even if the truth is somewhere in between....that is still kind of scary. Supposedly FAA was contacted in both instances.

C172
06-25-2017, 03:54 AM
Yeah I'm not buying itů Tell me again why the FAA would care?

Safety concerns.

PosRateGearUp
06-25-2017, 04:29 AM
...I've heard this from a guy that knows said jumpseater.

2nd story that is floating around...

Wow, thanks for the credible input guy! I know a guy who knows a guy who works for the government that said chemtrails are real.

Factually, neither of these events you've described are found in any of our ASAP or incident reports.

Also, the FAA has no say in how many E145s a company can operate. They either approve our op spec, or they don't. In this case, it's approved and we are still taking delivery.

PosRateGearUp
06-25-2017, 04:35 AM
Looks like most recent delivery was 6/22

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N14143/history/20170622/1330Z/KIGM/KSTL#flightPageActivityLog

c402fr8er
06-25-2017, 05:19 AM
Safety concerns.

So, the FAA is concerned with C5's ability to safely operate jet aircraft, so they allow them to keep operating jet aircraft, and keep training more pilots to fly jet aircraft, just not take delivery of any more aircraft?

Okay.

BrewCity
06-25-2017, 05:35 AM
Wow, thanks for the credible input guy! I know a guy who knows a guy who works for the government that said chemtrails are real.

Factually, neither of these events you've described are found in any of our ASAP or incident reports.

Also, the FAA has no say in how many E145s a company can operate. They either approve our op spec, or they don't. In this case, it's approved and we are still taking delivery.

While I don't find the guy's anecdotes all that credible either, what makes you think your company publishes every asap and/or incident fleet wide?

Secondly, your company is required to add each new tail number to their ops specs (I believe D085 generally). Commutair's POI could theoretically refuse to sign off on adding new tail numbers. I'm not sure of the politics of such an action, but it wouldn't be impossible.

DirkDiggler
06-25-2017, 06:44 AM

Well you can say whatever you want but there were more details that I'm omitting. Anyway stories like these generally don't just get made up from thin air and get circulated. Do you have access to every ASAP report made with the company?

No Lies
06-25-2017, 07:16 AM
Well you can say whatever you want but there were more details that I'm omitting. Anyway stories like these generally don't just get made up from thin air and get circulated. Do you have access to every ASAP report made with the company?

I heard that XJT is getting bought by UA. Congrats. It's about time some good news finally came for you guys.

DirkDiggler
06-25-2017, 08:43 AM
I heard that XJT is getting bought by UA. Congrats. It's about time some good news finally came for you guys.
Eh, I'll believe it when I see it. It's amazing how many lies mgmt spreads in order to keep people here.

say again
06-25-2017, 08:47 AM
2nd story that is floating around was with a United guy jumpseating with a seat in the back on the 145. The pilots proceed to initiate the takeoff with the flaps at 0, flaps go down to 9 in the middle of the takeoff, and jumpseater and the C5 CA have a huge blowout at the end of the flight after he asked what was with the flaps. As they say there are two sides to every story and then there's the truth. So even if the truth is somewhere in between....that is still kind of scary. Supposedly FAA was contacted in both instances.

Does the 145 not have a T/O Config warning?

DirkDiggler
06-25-2017, 10:24 AM
Does the 145 not have a T/O Config warning?

It does. It's easy to forget to press the actual button. I've caught myself quite a few times saying Chkd and I'm like wait did I actually hit it. But otherwise you would need to have a high thrust lever angle for it to say "ding ding ding, flaps." And by that point it is an obvious abort to all onboard. I can see something like that easily happening at any operator.

LifeStyler
06-25-2017, 02:06 PM
Hey Dirk, after 5 or so years right seat, y'all should slide across with the rest of the XRs! Life is pretty good here, and there are a lot of XJT refugees (in the training department, and in the left seat) You will find out that we do have the same crap XJT has, but movement is quicker, and people tend to be happier. Very few slam-clickers, and I don't sign em off if I don't trust em. We have had a few XJT guys try to insist on riding the J/S because "safety" but they are going to have to learn that it is the captain's J/S, not theirs. I spoke with our POI, regarding your rumours, and I call bull****** as he hasn't heard of them either.

Best regards,
ExXJT

N6279P
06-25-2017, 03:01 PM
Hey Dirk, after 5 or so years right seat, y'all should slide across with the rest of the XRs! Life is pretty good here, and there are a lot of XJT refugees (in the training department, and in the left seat) You will find out that we do have the same crap XJT has, but movement is quicker, and people tend to be happier. Very few slam-clickers, and I don't sign em off if I don't trust em. We have had a few XJT guys try to insist on riding the J/S because "safety" but they are going to have to learn that it is the captain's J/S, not theirs. I spoke with our POI, regarding your rumours, and I call bull****** as he hasn't heard of them either.

Best regards,
ExXJT

Rest of the XR's? There is almost no chance of CommutAir getting the remainder of them.

Saucy Dingo
06-25-2017, 03:34 PM

Best regards,
ExXJTOne of the douchiest posts I've seen in a long time. Please know that 98% of CommutAir pilots aren't like this. Life is pretty good? Must be good only for instructors that have cushy schedules and don't have to deal with scheduling. Not so great for people in training or on the line. Yes movement here is quicker but CommutAir's contract doesn't hold a candle to XJT's. To say anything otherwise would be dishonest.

But sure, C'mon Down!!!! And you too can be placed on airport reserve as a line holder. And you will sit airport reserve out of domicile. You will be extended into your few days off. You will have two duty periods in one day capped off with a stand-up. You will not be paid correctly. You will show up to your overnight with no hotel room. You will be forced to fly right-seat as a captain. You will fly airplanes that are held together by tape. You will........

PotatoChip
06-25-2017, 05:58 PM
^^^CAREFUL!^^^

Such honesty will not be tolerated!

(Although I haven't found the airplanes to be in that bad of shape.)

c402fr8er
06-25-2017, 09:08 PM
I've also heard that. I heard it was because of a safety concern. 2 stories that are floating around and don't really want to detail on a public forum, so I'll be brief. 1st story was a jumpseater was upfront on a C5 flight on the 145, both pilots were distracted looking at charts with the thrust at idle, lost the speed, got the shaker, pilots were not initiating a recovery and the jumpseater pushed the thrust to max...jumpseater was a 145 pilot from another airline. I've heard this from a guy that knows said jumpseater.

I'll rate this right up there with the story from a jumpseater about the crew that was "a danger to the traveling public" a year ago. He claimed the crew never ran a checklist, never briefed an approach, and tried to press a nighttime visual to the point that the bank angle and sink rate alarms were going off, but he miraculously saved the day by forcing the to go around.

All were lies.

How do I know?

I was there, got to talk to the union and CP about the whole thing. And he was full of bovine excriment. We were high on a visual approach at night, and went around for a second try from 2000' Embarrassing? Sure.

Unsafe? Not even close.

That didn't stop me from having to talk to management about it, or CVR and FDR data being pulled to checkout the story.

So pardon me if I dismiss your random, unsubstantiated jumpseater stories as embellished internet warrior bovine excriment, because I've seen what someone with an agenda can do. It wasn't fun to go through as a new-hire, even when the CP and the company totally had my back, but I guess some people have to keep justifying how awesome they are in their own minds.

DirkDiggler
06-25-2017, 09:57 PM
I'll rate this right up there with the story from a jumpseater about the crew that was "a danger to the traveling public" a year ago. He claimed the crew never ran a checklist, never briefed an approach, and tried to press a nighttime visual to the point that the bank angle and sink rate alarms were going off, but he miraculously saved the day by forcing the to go around.

All were lies.

How do I know?

I was there, got to talk to the union and CP about the whole thing. And he was full of bovine excriment. We were high on a visual approach at night, and went around for a second try from 2000' Embarrassing? Sure.

Unsafe? Not even close.

That didn't stop me from having to talk to management about it, or CVR and FDR data being pulled to checkout the story.

So pardon me if I dismiss your random, unsubstantiated jumpseater stories as embellished internet warrior bovine excriment, because I've seen what someone with an agenda can do. It wasn't fun to go through as a new-hire, even when the CP and the company totally had my back, but I guess some people have to keep justifying how awesome they are in their own minds.

There's no agenda, I'm just stating what I heard, and I don't even work for C5...and soon to be out of the airlines all together with a fed job. But lets not be na´ve here, any operator that has new equipment (to them) with new captains on the equipment and FO's fresh out of flight instructing....of course they are at a higher risk. The CA can be playing babysitter on a plane he doesn't even know all that well. Just look at history. Don't take it so personal. I don't think people are saying that C5 is less safe, but maybe going through growing pains.

DirkDiggler
06-25-2017, 10:00 PM

Best regards,
ExXJT

You spoke with the POI between midnight Saturday when posted and Sunday afternoon? Does this POI have Sunday office hours? Must be an ambitious Fed.

c402fr8er
06-26-2017, 05:21 AM
There's no agenda, I'm just stating what I heard, and I don't even work for C5...and soon to be out of the airlines all together with a fed job. But lets not be na´ve here, any operator that has new equipment (to them) with new captains on the equipment and FO's fresh out of flight instructing....of course they are at a higher risk. The CA can be playing babysitter on a plane he doesn't even know all that well. Just look at history. Don't take it so personal. I don't think people are saying that C5 is less safe, but maybe going through growing pains.

Nobody is taking anything personally; just providing a factual counterpoint to your unsubstantiated rumors of hero jumpseaters jumping in to save the day at the last minute.

You elected to spread a baseless rumor about what you heard might have happened. I'm just pointing out what actually HAS happened when a particular newhire mainline pilot decided he's now anointed to conduct secret line checks on us.

And no, this is not the only incident I'm aware of where someone getting a ride home decided to stir up trouble by making false accusations.

FDX8891
06-26-2017, 09:23 AM
Nobody is taking anything personally; just providing a factual counterpoint to your unsubstantiated rumors of hero jumpseaters jumping in to save the day at the last minute.

You elected to spread a baseless rumor about what you heard might have happened. I'm just pointing out what actually HAS happened when a particular newhire mainline pilot decided he's now anointed to conduct secret line checks on us.

And no, this is not the only incident I'm aware of where someone getting a ride home decided to stir up trouble by making false accusations.

You forgot to post the mic drop.

GoIsotopes
06-27-2017, 06:45 AM

I know c402 and the Captain of his flight personally. Flown with both. C402 is a standup guy and a great pilot. Lots of experience behind that username. Wouldn't hesitate to put my family on any of his flights or ANY C5 flight.

The story he tells here is accurate and the mainline FO definitely had an agenda. When that incident happened. EVERYONE at C5 knew about it. Now the only people that know about this story are friends of the friends of the jumpseater posting on an anonymous internet message board. K.

People are mad that C5 is growing. Jealously can make people do really stupid s### and make up really stupid stories. I heard very similar jumpseat tales being made up about Trans States back in 07 or 08 when they got 145s from Eagle. Crew couldn't work the different FMS or some BS according to the jumpseater. Stories will be made up, jealousy will continue and so will the deliveries.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1