Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

EXPAT1
06-25-2017, 12:36 AM
Interesting story if true. Tim Clark is quoted as saying he wants the merger to occur within 18 months.

The Gulf carriers are certainly evolving the past few years, as they’re under increased financial pressures from their respective governments. So while we’ve seen rational cost cutting, I think it’s inevitable that we’ll eventually see mergers as well. For example, the prevailing theory out there is that Emirates and Etihad will eventually merge and move to Dubai World Central Airport. Not in the next year or two, but rather in the next decade or two.

However, it looks like that may not be the first expanded cooperation we see between two Emirati airlines.

While not yet finalized, Aviation Voice quotes Tim Clark, the President of Emirates, as saying that he’d like Emirates and FlyDubai to be brought together as one within the next 18 months:

“We are minded to accelerate a greater joining of the hip, of what we do, there’s a lot of work going on there to extract value for the shareholder. We could do things better together than apart.”

Emirates & FlyDubai Likely To Merge Within 18 Months - One Mile at a Time (http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/06/24/emirates-flydubai-merger/)

captjns
06-26-2017, 06:37 AM
Old news.... that was the game plan as far back as October 2009.

Boss Hoggin
01-07-2018, 01:43 PM
Currently flying for a Part 121 Carrier here in the states. I am interesting in flying for Emirates. Is there any advice that a current crew member can share pertaining to the steps to get higher and the quality of life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captjns
01-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Currently flying for a Part 121 Carrier here in the states. I am interesting in flying for Emirates. Is there any advice that a current crew member can share pertaining to the steps to get higher and the quality of life?

PPrune.com has good info on EK and DXB living.

Typhoonpilot
01-10-2018, 05:18 AM

As someone who used to advocate going to Emirates during the early to mid-2000s, when it made senses as a way to continue a career interrupted by furloughs; bankruptcies; and lost pensions, I would now strongly caution against such a move. For those of us who went there in the early to mid-2000s it was a great move. We enjoyed rapid advancement; career satisfaction; and a much higher quality of life than we could have in the USA during the "lost decade".

Almost all expat airline jobs have the same story. Historically they are good for a 10-20 year period. This is when they are run by expats who tend to take care of their expat friends. What inevitably happens is the government stakeholder embarks on a program of "localization" wherein local citizens are promoted to increasingly higher positions. Those local citizens are often times not really qualified for that position and often harbor deep seated resentment of the expats who have somehow (in their mind) invaded their country and get all the good deals at "their" airline. This is when conditions start detiorating with numerous changes to pay; work; vacation; benefits; etc; etc.

This cycle has happened at Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific; Gulf Air; and many more. Which is why if you go back in the history of APC to the mid-2000s you will see that I very carefully said Emirates is good for a 10-15 year move, no more.

The slide started at Emirates during the financial crisis of 2009. It was still bearable when I left in late 2013, but has gotten much much worse since then. I would not go there now.

caplat
01-10-2018, 08:05 AM
Low cost is not the only fact ...the important is the people..i apply for an assessment for pilot position and really surprise because in my pilot background history of 35 years in aviation i never saw the low and poor quality staff without any respect and consideration for the people that as me believes we are going to something better ..was inexperience aviation personnel who lobby you for nothing ...really understand the cause pakistani are not highly qualified people.. non experts in the field..really a fake imagen ..dont trust...dont lose your time and money ..:cool:

Boss Hoggin
01-12-2018, 01:08 AM
As someone who used to advocate going to Emirates during the early to mid-2000s, when it made senses as a way to continue a career interrupted by furloughs; bankruptcies; and lost pensions, I would now strongly caution against such a move. For those of us who went there in the early to mid-2000s it was a great move. We enjoyed rapid advancement; career satisfaction; and a much higher quality of life than we could have in the USA during the "lost decade".

Almost all expat airline jobs have the same story. Historically they are good for a 10-20 year period. This is when they are run by expats who tend to take care of their expat friends. What inevitably happens is the government stakeholder embarks on a program of "localization" wherein local citizens are promoted to increasingly higher positions. Those local citizens are often times not really qualified for that position and often harbor deep seated resentment of the expats who have somehow (in their mind) invaded their country and get all the good deals at "their" airline. This is when conditions start detiorating with numerous changes to pay; work; vacation; benefits; etc; etc.

This cycle has happened at Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific; Gulf Air; and many more. Which is why if you go back in the history of APC to the mid-2000s you will see that I very carefully said Emirates is good for a 10-15 year move, no more.

The slide started at Emirates during the financial crisis of 2009. It was still bearable when I left in late 2013, but has gotten much much worse since then. I would not go there now.

Where did you go to after leaving Emirates?

Boss Hoggin
01-12-2018, 05:55 AM
Where did you go to after leaving Emirates?

Also..what company is currently paying more than Emirates at this time. Student loans are worse than owing a mobster!!