Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

crxpilot
06-25-2017, 04:39 PM
Gotta admit thats a lot of shaking!

AirAsia pilot calls on passengers to 'pray' amid engine trouble on flight | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/06/25/airasia-pilot-calls-on-passengers-to-pray-amid-engine-trouble-on-flight.html)

AirAsia pilot calls on passengers to 'pray' amid engine trouble on flight
Published June 25, 2017 Fox News

An AirAsia flight headed for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia was forced to turn back to Perth, Australia on Sunday morning following a severe engine problem.

Passengers described the wild ride as being like “a washing machine” with rapid shaking and rattling following a “huge bang” that took place around 75 minutes into the six-hour journey. The shaking, framed as something of an “engine seizure,” was reported to have been so violent that the pilot – even with 44 years of experience – called on passengers to “pray.”

Passengers were also asked to “keep an eye on” the engine outside their window, as the pilot did not have a good view from the cabin.

No one was injured during the terrifying trip on the budget airline, although marine emergency services north of Perth were placed on standby incase a water landing was required, Australia’s local ABC reported.

The exact cause of the engine issue remains unclear.

“Passengers were attended by our ground staff upon landing and were provided with all necessary assistance,” AirAsia said in a statement following the incident. “Our engineers are taking the precautionary steps to check the aircraft.”

WHACKMASTER
06-25-2017, 05:28 PM
Wow. Real professional :rolleyes:

HuggyU2
06-25-2017, 05:42 PM
Wow. Real professional :rolleyes:

Amen......

C130driver
06-25-2017, 08:12 PM
A few months ago I there was talk of these guys starting to take over the west coast to Pacific market when their A330neos came on board....as it is most Asia travelers I know are terrified of Air Asia, shinanigans like this seals the deal. Nothing to see here folks. If a captain with decades of experience needs pax to pray during an emergency just imagine how their <250 hour wonders would fair up.

NYC Pilot
06-25-2017, 09:32 PM
A few months ago I there was talk of these guys starting to take over the west coast to Pacific market when their A330neos came on board....as it is most Asia travelers I know are terrified of Air Asia, shinanigans like this seals the deal. Nothing to see here folks. If a captain with decades of experience needs pax to pray during an emergency just imagine how their <250 hour wonders would fair up.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Air Asia is a highly successful airline in Asia and is regarded like Southwest or JetBlue in the U.S.

trip
06-25-2017, 10:00 PM
She definitely missing on a couple cylinders.

ShyGuy
06-26-2017, 10:33 AM
What if there are atheists onboard? Can they just do a random song? Probably have the same outcome. :D

tomgoodman
06-26-2017, 12:00 PM
They must have skipped this preflight item: :rolleyes:

"Every superstitious passenger has ways of dealing with the existential uncertainties of air travel, but the ground crew of one Pakistani airliner raised the stakes on preflight rituals when it sacrificed a goat on the runway."
-NYT 1/18/17

filejw
06-26-2017, 12:49 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but Air Asia is a highly successful airline in Asia and is regarded like Southwest or JetBlue in the U.S.

For price only...operationally is a different matter.......

John Carr
06-26-2017, 01:43 PM

I'm sure your google fu could counter my google fu.

I did search for "most successful", as well as most profitable", and "highest rated" Asian Airlines. As well as Air Asia rankings.

Can you define "successful"?

NYC Pilot
06-26-2017, 05:24 PM

I did search for "most successful", as well as most profitable", and "highest rated" Asian Airlines. As well as Air Asia rankings.

Well, it's been up and running for a while and it's profitable. I would call that successful.

NYC Pilot
06-26-2017, 05:26 PM
For price only...operationally is a different matter.......

Air Asia runs an efficient airline. They make money. Southwest and JetBlue also are efficient and make money. Yes, different cultures. I would totally agree in that matter.

ShyGuy
06-26-2017, 07:37 PM

Umm, no.

AirAsia has history of mechanical failure and human error | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4638476/AirAsia-history-mechanical-failure-human-error.html)

From a crash that killed 162 to a pilot flying in the wrong direction... and 9 YEARS as the world's best budget airline: Troubled history of AirAsia - after a pilot told passengers to 'PRAY' for a safe landing after engine failure

An AirAsia plane flying from Perth to Kuala Lumpur was forced to turn back
The pilot reportedly discovered a single engine failure and returned to Perth
It has been described as one of many mechanical issues suffered by the airline
In 2014 a A320 plane crashed after a high-altitude stall killing 162 people
There have also been near-collisions, skidding off runways and human errors

Read more: AirAsia has history of mechanical failure and human error | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4638476/AirAsia-history-mechanical-failure-human-error.html#ixzz4lAcpMqHn)

pilot0987
06-26-2017, 08:16 PM

Hey man,
The guy thought he had something valid to say, then spent two pages defending it. Sounds legit to me. 🙄

NYC Pilot
06-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Umm, no.

AirAsia has history of mechanical failure and human error | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4638476/AirAsia-history-mechanical-failure-human-error.html)

From a crash that killed 162 to a pilot flying in the wrong direction... and 9 YEARS as the world's best budget airline: Troubled history of AirAsia - after a pilot told passengers to 'PRAY' for a safe landing after engine failure

An AirAsia plane flying from Perth to Kuala Lumpur was forced to turn back
The pilot reportedly discovered a single engine failure and returned to Perth
It has been described as one of many mechanical issues suffered by the airline
In 2014 a A320 plane crashed after a high-altitude stall killing 162 people
There have also been near-collisions, skidding off runways and human errors

Read more: AirAsia has history of mechanical failure and human error | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4638476/AirAsia-history-mechanical-failure-human-error.html#ixzz4lAcpMqHn)

Almost every major airline in the USA has had a fatal crash so I don't know where that argument fits. I'm not a fan of Air Asia, all I'm saying is that it's a well known product that is profitable in that region of the world. That's all.

NEDude
06-26-2017, 10:53 PM
Almost every major airline in the USA has had a fatal crash so I don't know where that argument fits. I'm not a fan of Air Asia, all I'm saying is that it's a well known product that is profitable in that region of the world. That's all.

USAir(ways) had a pretty rough (almost) nine year stretch from early 1986 through late 1994 with six hull losses and five fatal crashes. But that is ancient history in the aviation world. The recent history of the AirAsia group is troubling to say the least.

(BTW - will the flag of convenience argument be used against them if they start flying to the States? I mean they have AirAsia, AirAsiaX, AirAsia Cambodia, AirAsia China, AirAsia Vietnam, AirAsia India, AirAsia Japan, Indonesia AirAsia, Indonesia AirAsia X, Philippines AirAsia, Thai AirAsia, and Thai AirAsia X.

John Carr
06-27-2017, 09:29 AM
Well, it's been up and running for a while and it's profitable. I would call that successful.

Air Asia runs an efficient airline. They make money. Southwest and JetBlue also are efficient and make money. Yes, different cultures. I would totally agree in that matter.

Your analogy/comparison is probably closer to Allegiant.

The Dominican
06-27-2017, 03:35 PM
At the end of it all they brought the airplane and the passengers on the ground safely....., that is most definitelly a job well done on my book.

C130driver
06-27-2017, 07:47 PM

When's the last time one of the big 3 had a fatal incident due to pilot error , or had one of their pilots ask the passengers to pray instead of acting like a freaking pilot and secure the aircraft? Give me a break. Air Asia is a Ponzi scheme filled with dudes who shouldn't be driving a car let alone an airplane.

C130driver
06-27-2017, 07:50 PM
At the end of it all they brought the airplane and the passengers on the ground safely....., that is most definitelly a job well done on my book.

False, at the end of the day if you fly pax, your sole job besides safety is customer service. How freaked out were the passengers? How much faith did they have in their "pilot" after he was so unconfident that he needed his pax to "pray?" Calm cool collected anyone? The guy shouldn't be flying airplanes.

NYC Pilot
06-27-2017, 08:50 PM
When's the last time one of the big 3 had a fatal incident due to pilot error , or had one of their pilots ask the passengers to pray instead of acting like a freaking pilot and secure the aircraft? Give me a break. Air Asia is a Ponzi scheme filled with dudes who shouldn't be driving a car let alone an airplane.

I'm an old guy. I remember many fatal U.S crashes. American 587 was assumed to be pilot error. Alaska 261, poor maintenance on jack screw. Comair Lexington, KY crash, pilot error. Val u jet in Everglades inflight fire, Colgan Air crash Buffalo, pilot error. I can go on and on. Although we in the USA have better maintenance and training than third world countries, we are far from perfect. Accidents and incidents will happen. I'm not defending the likes of Air Asia at all, I'm just saying that sh!t happens in aviation. We need to agree that no one is immune from the dangers of flight in general.

C130driver
06-28-2017, 07:03 PM
I'm an old guy. I remember many fatal U.S crashes. American 587 was assumed to be pilot error. Alaska 261, poor maintenance on jack screw. Comair Lexington, KY crash, pilot error. Val u jet in Everglades inflight fire, Colgan Air crash Buffalo, pilot error. I can go on and on. Although we in the USA have better maintenance and training than third world countries, we are far from perfect. Accidents and incidents will happen. I'm not defending the likes of Air Asia at all, I'm just saying that sh!t happens in aviation. We need to agree that no one is immune from the dangers of flight in general.

100% agree, complacency kills and we as aviators in the US are not immuned...my point is that US aviation is held to a higher standard than Air Asia and that their outfit is questionable. It is irrelevant (not speaking to you) to bring up "oh but other airlines have incidents too." But hey, if some 20 year old backpacker wants to save maybe 200$ on a ticket, go right ahead. My family won't ride on them.

NYC Pilot
06-28-2017, 07:34 PM
100% agree, complacency kills and we as aviators in the US are not immuned...my point is that US aviation is held to a higher standard than Air Asia and that their outfit is questionable. It is irrelevant (not speaking to you) to bring up "oh but other airlines have incidents too." But hey, if some 20 year old backpacker wants to save maybe 200$ on a ticket, go right ahead. My family won't ride on them.

Couldn't agree more my friend. In the USA, we do operate at a much higher standard than most of the world but we should always strive to do better as safety is the key to success. I personally wouldn't allow my family to travel on these shady outfits but the general public doesn't know any better unfortunately.

ShyGuy
06-28-2017, 08:56 PM

Yeah... over a stretch of decades and decades. Air Asias are fairly new. And they've done pretty terrible for their existence so far.

The Dominican
06-28-2017, 08:57 PM
False, at the end of the day if you fly pax, your sole job besides safety is customer service. How freaked out were the passengers? How much faith did they have in their "pilot" after he was so unconfident that he needed his pax to "pray?" Calm cool collected anyone? The guy shouldn't be flying airplanes.
Did they or didn't they landed the airplane safely?

Pardon me if I don't join you in critisism of another professional aviator whom we don't know personnaly, based on some news media report, because one thing we both know is how inaccurate those can be.

They landed the airplane safely......., How much of a better outcome do we need as professional aviators not to engage in badmouthing a fellow pilot?

Cruz Clearance
06-28-2017, 09:07 PM
Heard that it was not windmilling they never shut it down. If true that is absolutely crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C130driver
06-29-2017, 06:29 PM
Did they or didn't they landed the airplane safely?

Pardon me if I don't join you in critisism of another professional aviator whom we don't know personnaly, based on some news media report, because one thing we both know is how inaccurate those can be.

They landed the airplane safely......., How much of a better outcome do we need as professional aviators not to engage in badmouthing a fellow pilot?

I see your point- but at the end of the day "landing the plane" is a pretty low standard to judge a professional aviator. That's a basic requirement from a ride 2-3 PPL student. This profession demands standards and calling it ugly when it's ugly isn't badmouthing, it's the truth. Would you trust your family to fly on that pilot's airplane?

galaxy flyer
06-29-2017, 06:43 PM
They must have skipped this preflight item: :rolleyes:

"Every superstitious passenger has ways of dealing with the existential uncertainties of air travel, but the ground crew of one Pakistani airliner raised the stakes on preflight rituals when it sacrificed a goat on the runway."
-NYT 1/18/17

Was it a virgin? The goat, of course.

GF

The Dominican
06-29-2017, 07:27 PM
I see your point- but at the end of the day "landing the plane" is a pretty low standard to judge a professional aviator. That's a basic requirement from a ride 2-3 PPL student. This profession demands standards and calling it ugly when it's ugly isn't badmouthing, it's the truth. Would you trust your family to fly on that pilot's airplane?

And you made the determination of the "Truth" from an article? Because those are so accurate:rolleyes:

You don't know this man, you where not on this flight, you don't know neither his experience nor his background and quite frankly, you are just making a determination of his professionalism on information that you have no idea if it is true.

How many times have these articles been proven wrong?

NYC Pilot
06-29-2017, 07:39 PM
Yeah... over a stretch of decades and decades. Air Asias are fairly new. And they've done pretty terrible for their existence so far.

You must be new to this country or else you would have known about the air disasters we have had in the USA. Again, not defending Air Asia but I believe they have had 1 fatal accident so far. Aside from accidents from mechanicals and pilot error, Muslim terrorists are the biggest threat to aviation in America.

ShyGuy
08-08-2017, 05:03 PM
You must be new to this country or else you would have known about the air disasters we have had in the USA. Again, not defending Air Asia but I believe they have had 1 fatal accident so far.

I'm quite aware of the US aviation accident history. Air Asia sucks and while they've "only" had one fatal accident, there have been many close calls and a poor safety record as posted in a link on a prior page of this thread.

Aside from accidents from mechanicals and pilot error, Muslim terrorists are the biggest threat to aviation in America.

Where did this comment come from? Completely unrelated to this thread. And excluding 9/11, all the crashes within the United States were of the mechanical, weather, or pilot error types. I don't see how that's relevant to Air Asia and its crap safety record.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1