Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

SonicFlyer
06-30-2017, 10:14 AM
Horizon Air cutting hundreds of flights this summer due to pilot shortage | The Seattle Times (http://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/horizon-air-cutting-hundreds-of-flights-this-summer-due-to-pilot-shortage/)

atpcliff
07-01-2017, 01:01 AM
Horizon Air is canceling hundreds of flights because of the "pilot shortage." It's airlines' fault. (http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2017/06/30/horizon_air_is_canceling_hundreds_of_flights_becau se_of_the_pilot_shortage.html)

"...American companies don’t have a shortage of people. They have a shortage of wages, benefits, and training. Companies could fix that problem, but they haven’t.
But many businesses seem blind to the reality. They’ve become accustomed to thinking they have can have all the labor they want, with all the skills they need, without having to pay much for it or offer long-term job security or help fund the training.
To recruit new employees, offer to train them yourselves, or to pay back the loans they incur while getting the training that will enable you to run your business, or offer to split the flight school tuition in exchange for a commitment to work for the airline for several years.

There’s a phrase people in companies use when colleagues complain of a challenging situation. “You’re a businessperson. Figure it out.” Managers and leaders get paid to figure out how to solve the problems they face. Coping with a shortage of skilled workers by shuttering a portion of your operations doesn’t seem like much of a solution."

Island Time
07-02-2017, 07:58 PM
Great article. Horizon could be a case study at business school someday.

YXnot
07-04-2017, 07:03 AM
Certain individuals might consider requesting a refund from their MBA educators

bozobigtop
07-04-2017, 01:27 PM
Horizon Air is canceling hundreds of flights because of the "pilot shortage." It's airlines' fault. (http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2017/06/30/horizon_air_is_canceling_hundreds_of_flights_becau se_of_the_pilot_shortage.html)

"...American companies don’t have a shortage of people. They have a shortage of wages, benefits, and training. Companies could fix that problem, but they haven’t.
But many businesses seem blind to the reality. They’ve become accustomed to thinking they have can have all the labor they want, with all the skills they need, without having to pay much for it or offer long-term job security or help fund the training.
To recruit new employees, offer to train them yourselves, or to pay back the loans they incur while getting the training that will enable you to run your business, or offer to split the flight school tuition in exchange for a commitment to work for the airline for several years.

There’s a phrase people in companies use when colleagues complain of a challenging situation. “You’re a businessperson. Figure it out.” Managers and leaders get paid to figure out how to solve the problems they face. Coping with a shortage of skilled workers by shuttering a portion of your operations doesn’t seem like much of a solution."

It's a viable solution if your plan are to pay your employees less than the going market for education and training for any industry. This is exactly what the airline industry is doing as a whole and the regional airline sector in particular. I left the regional airline industry 20 years ago and the only difference is more regional jets.

Taco280AI
07-13-2017, 12:12 PM
I wonder if Horizon will end up with a rotor-to-fixed program like the handful of others who are doing it.

Varsity
07-13-2017, 07:48 PM
A flow would serve them better.

Strenyakov
07-25-2017, 11:39 AM
We Need To Bring In Foreign Workers Because Of The Severe Labor Shortage Of Skilled Labor!

There are many thousands of airline pilots sitting at home with over 15,000 hours of airline captain experience and the airlines are screaming for pilots! What is up with that? Why wouldn't a former Midwest, Ryan, World, ATA or other experienced pilot who used to make 120 to 300k per year take one of the many available regional jobs where they are willing to pay you 33,000 per year? Some will even offer a 20k starting bonus.

Not just that, try putting an add in the paper or online for a medical doctor letting them know you will pay them 35,000 per year with a 20k starting bonus and see how many applicants you get, probably none.

Do you have a BS in Electrical Engineering from a descent university? Why won't you work for the offered $35,000?

Obviously we need to bring in foreign workers to fill these JOBS THAT AMERICANS JUST DON'T WANT TO DO!

In fact, give them a visa tied to the hiring company so that they cannot change companies and the airline can train the person ab initio. The lower wages for the next 20 years will cover the training.

JetDoc
07-25-2017, 02:28 PM
The hits just keep coming. Hang in there guys and gals.

http://www.seattletimes.com/busines...scheduling-havoc-will-continue-into-the-fall/

N19906
07-25-2017, 09:50 PM
What? Wait a sec!
The general public's gonna find out what our lifestyle is like, (all of us) ?!?!
Oh, the Kool-Aid is tasting bitter...

tonsterboy5
07-26-2017, 07:37 PM
Its great to see that Alaska posted a huge profit for q2, enough to give every pilot on the books for Alaska, Virgin, and Horizon a 100k bonus, and still post a profit. Not that I am saying they do that, but if their profit from one quarter is enough to do that they have no real reason to not offer a better compensation package. Heck, maybe if they did something they wouldn't be forced to cancel hundreds of flights.

PanRobert
07-26-2017, 08:56 PM
Its great to see that Alaska posted a huge profit for q2, enough to give every pilot on the books for Alaska, Virgin, and Horizon a 100k bonus, and still post a profit. Not that I am saying they do that, but if their profit from one quarter is enough to do that they have no real reason to not offer a better compensation package. Heck, maybe if they did something they wouldn't be forced to cancel hundreds of flights.
Amen brother!

DreFlyer
07-28-2017, 10:57 AM
Alaska Air profit rises, with little impact from Horizon?s troubles | The Seattle Times (http://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/alaska-air-tops-2q-profit-forecasts/)

Seems this issue is not hurting AAG's bottom line that much! Notable paragraph of the article:

"Horizon Air last year accounted for just 1 percent of the companyís overall profit. So far this year, with flight cancellations slowly mounting since January, Horizon has lost $16 million."

Whaaat? Horizon is the one percenter of the regional airline industry? :D

snackysmores
07-28-2017, 02:16 PM
Alaska Air profit rises, with little impact from Horizon?s troubles | The Seattle Times (http://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/alaska-air-tops-2q-profit-forecasts/)

Seems this issue is not hurting AAG's bottom line that much! Notable paragraph of the article:

"Horizon Air last year accounted for just 1 percent of the companyís overall profit. So far this year, with flight cancellations slowly mounting since January, Horizon has lost $16 million."

Whaaat? Horizon is the one percenter of the regional airline industry? :D

I wonder where Alaska got half their connecting passengers from...:rolleyes:

pause
07-29-2017, 04:39 AM
I wonder where Alaska got half their connecting passengers from...:rolleyes:

Skywest *sarcasm*

snackysmores
07-29-2017, 09:54 AM
Skywest *sarcasm*

Zingerrrrr haha

Btoflyer
07-29-2017, 10:06 PM
Hey ladies and gents - I'm hoping to get some insight on the schedule at Horizon. My aviation career short-circuited after 9/11, so this is a much-delayed return for me. I want to land at a place where I can manage my schedule (in lieu of grasping for the dollars).
I'm wondering how many days a month reserve line pilots fly in the Q400 and/or the E-175?
Is there an opportunity to drop trips?
Are other regionals better suited for an older dude like me who wants to fly but doesn't want to be worked to death?
Big decision on my end, so your thoughts are much appreciated.

snackysmores
07-29-2017, 11:05 PM
Hey ladies and gents - I'm hoping to get some insight on the schedule at Horizon. My aviation career short-circuited after 9/11, so this is a much-delayed return for me. I want to land at a place where I can manage my schedule (in lieu of grasping for the dollars).
I'm wondering how many days a month reserve line pilots fly in the Q400 and/or the E-175?
Is there an opportunity to drop trips?
Are other regionals better suited for an older dude like me who wants to fly but doesn't want to be worked to death?
Big decision on my end, so your thoughts are much appreciated.

I can only speak for the Q side but there's pretty much no reserve anywhere, and you will have about 12 days off a month. Every other day the company owns your soul as a junior pilot. No dropping. If you want the most control over your schedule you're gonna want to head to airline that has SAP line bidding, and unfortunately there arent many left.

snackysmores
07-30-2017, 12:45 PM
Sept bid is out. Most junior Q CA 1 year 7 months, jet 2 years 3 months.

LOCdawg
07-30-2017, 12:52 PM
I can only speak for the Q side but there's pretty much no reserve anywhere, and you will have about 12 days off a month. Every other day the company owns your soul as a junior pilot. No dropping. If you want the most control over your schedule you're gonna want to head to airline that has SAP line bidding, and unfortunately there arent many left.

Any insight for a Guard dude as a first year FO? I assume its pretty easy to drop trips on the 18ish days the company does 'own' you if you have to(or want to) go in to work at the unit. How exactly would that work? Ex: if drill is right in the middle of a 4 or 5 day trip, does the whole trip go away?

snackysmores
07-30-2017, 02:33 PM
Any insight for a Guard dude as a first year FO? I assume its pretty easy to drop trips on the 18ish days the company does 'own' you if you have to(or want to) go in to work at the unit. How exactly would that work? Ex: if drill is right in the middle of a 4 or 5 day trip, does the whole trip go away?

Correct, but you will lose the pay.

N19906
07-30-2017, 05:11 PM
My experience at QX while I was in the guard was outstanding.
They were very supportive and never gave me even a hint of being annoyed. Yes, you will have to turn in paperwork for AT, but a calendar sufficed for drill weekends. I'd just call my ACP, tell him what days, and he'd drop my trips right then and there.
Yes, you will loose all your pay for those trips, (and it kills per diem too), and that can sting. So if money is tight, you could probably horse-trade. Heck, they're so short staffed at the moment, you could likely pick up time and a half stuff.

Anderson
07-30-2017, 05:31 PM
My experience at QX while I was in the guard was outstanding.

They were very supportive and never gave me even a hint of being annoyed. Yes, you will have to turn in paperwork for AT, but a calendar sufficed for drill weekends. I'd just call my ACP, tell him what days, and he'd drop my trips right then and there.

Yes, you will loose all your pay for those trips, (and it kills per diem too), and that can sting. So if money is tight, you could probably horse-trade. Heck, they're so short staffed at the moment, you could likely pick up time and a half stuff.

LOSE pay, LOSE pay, not LOOSE. It's mind boggling how many pilots don't know how to spell the word lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shfo
07-30-2017, 05:49 PM
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

N19906
07-30-2017, 09:49 PM
Gee, tanks a bunch brutha.
I well get butter in da' futer maan!

(Sheeh, I blow one word and... :rolleyes: )

Galaxy5
07-31-2017, 01:45 AM
LOSE pay, LOSE pay, not LOOSE. It's mind boggling how many pilots don't know how to spell the word lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mind bottling*

SonicFlyer
07-31-2017, 07:52 AM
LOSE pay, LOSE pay, not LOOSE. It's mind boggling how many pilots don't know how to spell the word lose.Especially considering the stewardesses these days :p

n9810f
07-31-2017, 08:36 PM
Is there any truth to this talk that only 2 of your 6 E75's are flying right now?

snackysmores
07-31-2017, 10:15 PM
Is there any truth to this talk that only 2 of your 6 E75's are flying right now?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yfAeMtcURg0/hqdefault.jpg
Complete nonsense, we now have 7 jets and I can assure you every single one is up and flying right now. We have many pilots, so many they are lined up out the door as we speak. Everything is under control and we are breaking record profits!

N19906
07-31-2017, 11:47 PM
Inshallah! :rolleyes:

Petethedog
08-01-2017, 11:08 AM

For a few reasons, I have been looking at Horizon. However, I came across this info waaayyy back in these threads:

We have a four year seat lock, and currently an upgrade time around 2.5-3 years. We also have a pretty good idea on what Q400 schedules will look like in a few years when the jets start picking up longer, less fatiguing, better paying routes. The big problem about coming here right now is the seat lock. Let me explain with a hypothetical example:

You get hired and are number 350/350 on the Q400. Over the next year, 100 pilots senior to you quit, upgrade, etc. now you are 250/350 and are senior reserve/junior lineholder.

Then they buy 10 jets and park 10 Q400's (not exactly what's happening, but for the sake of simplicity). You are now 250/250, and Joe Pilot a year junior to you is 1/100 on the jet holding a line with weekends and more days off making more than you per month. Your relative seniority drops, or optimistically, it stagnates.

If you come here now your seniority will be like climbing a ladder that is losing rungs behind you. You'll eventually get to the top, but you'll be near the bottom pretty much until your there (that's a confusing metaphor, don't overthink it).

Make sense? You will magically be forever junior on the Q400 until your global seniority is high enough to upgrade. Also, none of this accounts for the fact those Q400 trips will be much worse than they are now. Purely from a seniority standpoint, you'd be kicking yourself for what you've put yourself through for years because you didn't want to commute to ORD for three months.

(I think Snacky spelled this out... nicely illustrated!)

So, given this was 7-8 months back, does anyone care to refute this in light of recent changes? I know there are a few optimists out there...

snackysmores
08-01-2017, 11:43 AM
For a few reasons, I have been looking at Horizon. However, I came across this info waaayyy back in these threads:

We have a four year seat lock, and currently an upgrade time around 2.5-3 years. We also have a pretty good idea on what Q400 schedules will look like in a few years when the jets start picking up longer, less fatiguing, better paying routes. The big problem about coming here right now is the seat lock. Let me explain with a hypothetical example:

You get hired and are number 350/350 on the Q400. Over the next year, 100 pilots senior to you quit, upgrade, etc. now you are 250/350 and are senior reserve/junior lineholder.

Then they buy 10 jets and park 10 Q400's (not exactly what's happening, but for the sake of simplicity). You are now 250/250, and Joe Pilot a year junior to you is 1/100 on the jet holding a line with weekends and more days off making more than you per month. Your relative seniority drops, or optimistically, it stagnates.

If you come here now your seniority will be like climbing a ladder that is losing rungs behind you. You'll eventually get to the top, but you'll be near the bottom pretty much until your there (that's a confusing metaphor, don't overthink it).

Make sense? You will magically be forever junior on the Q400 until your global seniority is high enough to upgrade. Also, none of this accounts for the fact those Q400 trips will be much worse than they are now. Purely from a seniority standpoint, you'd be kicking yourself for what you've put yourself through for years because you didn't want to commute to ORD for three months.

(I think Snacky spelled this out... nicely illustrated!)

So, given this was 7-8 months back, does anyone care to refute this in light of recent changes? I know there are a few optimists out there...

All of this is dependent on them parking Qs which no one knows for sure if it will happen. If AAG could have it their way they wouldn't park any because they make so much money.

I also miscalculated earlier. The junior Q400 CA is now 11/15, the jet went down to 7/15.

Ispeakjive
10-05-2017, 08:57 PM
All of this is dependent on them parking Qs which no one knows for sure if it will happen. If AAG could have it their way they wouldn't park any because they make so much money.

I also miscalculated earlier. The junior Q400 CA is now 11/15, the jet went down to 7/15.

Go to SkyWest where management is solid. Get your jet, get your upgrade and your PNW base. The few bucks less starting out wont matter when your a captain in 2.5 years.

SIUav8er
10-05-2017, 10:35 PM
Go to SkyWest where management is solid. Get your jet, get your upgrade and your PNW base. The few bucks less starting out wont matter when your a captain in 2.5 years.

yeah but if you already have mil and/or 121/135 time, you can be a CA at QX in less than 2 years

ASpilot2be
10-05-2017, 10:43 PM
yeah but if you already have mil and/or 121/135 time, you can be a CA at QX in less than 2 years

But it might not be in a shiny jet though! Oh the horror!

snackysmores
10-06-2017, 12:11 AM

Go to skywest if you want to commute to reserve in detroit when you upgrade

word302
10-06-2017, 02:58 PM

Not so much anymore.

zondaracer
10-06-2017, 03:08 PM
Not so much anymore.

Yeah, reserve time is minimal in the most junior bases and junior upgrades can hold MSP, ORD, and DTW. Most junior upgrades in the E175 are going to BOI.

skwcrj
10-06-2017, 03:18 PM

Snacky,

Yes. DTW is the most junior Captain base in the CRJ. But, we hire lots of people from all over the country. A lot of them come from the East coast and want to get back there. The most junior captain award is 1.5 years seniority. That's not a bad thing in this environment when you want turbine PIC in a hurry so you can move on. If I had been able to get that kind of experience when I was hired, I would have jump on it.

BTW, Newhires got West coast ERJ. (BOI, SAN, DEN). The most junior ERJ FO in SEA has 4 months online. PDX most junior ERJ FO 3 months.

snackysmores
10-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Snacky,

Yes. DTW is the most junior Captain base in the CRJ. But, we hire lots of people from all over the country. A lot of them come from the East coast and want to get back there. The most junior captain award is 1.5 years seniority. That's not a bad thing in this environment when you want turbine PIC in a hurry so you can move on. If I had been able to get that kind of experience when I was hired, I would have jump on it.

BTW, Newhires got West coast ERJ. (BOI, SAN, DEN). The most junior ERJ FO in SEA has 4 months online. PDX most junior ERJ FO 3 months.

If you have 0 time your QOL will be much better on the E-jet with a west coast base, however once you upgrade at OO you're going to be commuting to reserve in DTW which just isn't an option for a lot of people. A zero time pilot coming to Horizon will upgrade as soon as they hit 1000 121 (most likely) and can stay on the west coast instead of having to go back east at Skywest until they get hired by a major.

word302
10-06-2017, 04:17 PM
If you have 0 time your QOL will be much better on the E-jet with a west coast base, however once you upgrade at OO you're going to be commuting to reserve in DTW which just isn't an option for a lot of people. A zero time pilot coming to Horizon will upgrade as soon as they hit 1000 121 (most likely) and can stay on the west coast instead of having to go back east at Skywest until they get hired by a major.

Meh. BOI ERJ upgrade is just over 3 years and dropping fast. West coast CRJ upgrade is under 3 years and dropping fast.

OregonAviator
10-06-2017, 04:35 PM
Meh. BOI ERJ upgrade is just over 3 years and dropping fast. West coast CRJ upgrade is under 3 years and dropping fast.

I don't have any interest in flying a CRJ or commuting for SkyWest. If I'm going to commute I'm going to go get those huge bonuses and quick upgrades over commuting to Detroit. This is the reason why Horizon has it better than Skywest in my opinion because I know that working at Horizon I will not be commuting to the Midwest or east coast to eventually be back at home again, most guys and gals come here to have that home base right away or pretty dang quick if they didn't get it out of ground school. Also, even if you guys do the longevity pay it's still not even worth it for my situation.... our FO scales compared to OO I would actually be taking a pay cut. I'm here til this ship sinks or a miracle happens and we grow again. Maybe if SkyWest decides to raise the pay rates to at or above market rates I'd maybe consider it. Until then....

word302
10-06-2017, 04:38 PM
I don't have any interest in flying a CRJ or commuting for SkyWest. If I'm going to commute I'm going to go get those huge bonuses and quick upgrades over commuting to Detroit. This is the reason why Horizon has it better than Skywest in my opinion because I know that working at Horizon I will not be commuting to the Midwest or east coast to eventually be back at home again, most guys and gals come here to have that home base right away or pretty dang quick if they didn't get it out of ground school. Also, even if you guys do the longevity pay it's still not even worth it for my situation.... our FO scales compared to OO I would actually be taking a pay cut. I'm here til this ship sinks or a miracle happens and we grow again. Maybe if SkyWest decides to raise the pay rates to at or above market rates I'd maybe consider it. Until then....

The rates are going to have to come up if we are going to staff all the flying we just took on. Are you above flying a CRJ?

skwcrj
10-06-2017, 09:04 PM
OA,

In the airline industry, very few people manage to stay put and not move/commute. If you are one of the few, great. Count your blessings.

Most people usually move to their first base at the beginning. New pilots on reserve and commuting don't fair well in the reliability department. You don't want a black mark on your career because you got fired while on probation due too many failed commutes.

If you are young, you need to seize the opportunities to get on with a good regional and get your turbine pic. Then, quickly move on. YOU decide which one fits you needs. If it is Horizon, then go there.

Realize that if your long term plan is Alaska Airlines, Horizon may not be the quickest route. Due to the staffing issues at Horizon, the AG is hesitant to poach from the Horizon pilot group. While Horizon pilots have interviewed and being selected based on the hiring quota, there is quite a stagnant pool of them waiting for class dates due to staffing problems at Horizon. (Source: AS CA I know well).

Go where your heart yearns. However, be careful to not let your heart cloud your judgement regarding career decisions.

I've been in this industry (with one airline) for as long as most millenials have been alive. Yes. That makes me sound old. I really don't feel old. But, looking back... I feel really lucky. I have a great job with great seniority. I really can't complaint.

From my perspective now ... Again, if you are young, go where you will get your time quickly and move on. Seniority is everything. If your first airline job is flying a jet, I'm jealous. It will make the next airplane that much easier to learn.

Flying a turboprop for 5 years (doing between 6 to 8 short legs per day in the weather all day) builds character. I know. Been there/done that. However, the jet is way more fun.

Sorry for the long post. Since this is an Internet forum, someone will call all this BS and say that I'm some poor CFI making stuff up. Hey, so be it.... I just hopes it helps some....

snackysmores
10-06-2017, 11:18 PM
OA,

In the airline industry, very few people manage to stay put and not move/commute. If you are one of the few, great. Count your blessings.

Most people usually move to their first base at the beginning. New pilots on reserve and commuting don't fair well in the reliability department. You don't want a black mark on your career because you got fired while on probation due too many failed commutes.

If you are young, you need to seize the opportunities to get on with a good regional and get your turbine pic. Then, quickly move on. YOU decide which one fits you needs. If it is Horizon, then go there.

Realize that if your long term plan is Alaska Airlines, Horizon may not be the quickest route. Due to the staffing issues at Horizon, the AG is hesitant to poach from the Horizon pilot group. While Horizon pilots have interviewed and being selected based on the hiring quota, there is quite a stagnant pool of them waiting for class dates due to staffing problems at Horizon. (Source: AS CA I know well).

Go where your heart yearns. However, be careful to not let your heart cloud your judgement regarding career decisions.

I've been in this industry (with one airline) for as long as most millenials have been alive. Yes. That makes me sound old. I really don't feel old. But, looking back... I feel really lucky. I have a great job with great seniority. I really can't complaint.

From my perspective now ... Again, if you are young, go where you will get your time quickly and move on. Seniority is everything. If your first airline job is flying a jet, I'm jealous. It will make the next airplane that much easier to learn.

Flying a turboprop for 5 years (doing between 6 to 8 short legs per day in the weather all day) builds character. I know. Been there/done that. However, the jet is way more fun.

Sorry for the long post. Since this is an Internet forum, someone will call all this BS and say that I'm some poor CFI making stuff up. Hey, so be it.... I just hopes it helps some....

Agreed, good advice. It is possible we might get a flow when they realize they have no more attraction cards to play. During the latest webcast they kept hinting at it without being specific. We'll see what they come up with.

SIUav8er
10-07-2017, 02:25 AM

so what? OO is a better airline. period.

Bonanzer
10-07-2017, 02:12 PM
so what? OO is a better airline. period.

Enjoy those 1% raises for the next 5 years.

word302
10-07-2017, 02:52 PM
Enjoy those 1% raises for the next 5 years.

Iím pretty sure he works at QX.

JBirdE175
10-07-2017, 08:10 PM
I hate to tell you but I've seen friends from nearly every regional compare their W2 at the end of the year - and new hire or CA, OO almost always tops out or is right at the top. Pay rates may be lower but they aren't paying union dues and their QOL soft pay rules and company bonuses put them over the top. Just an observation - more to take into account than hourly rates.

Ispeakjive
10-14-2017, 04:44 AM
Instead of quibbling over a few dollars per hour, consider the leadership track records. SkyWest acquired every 175 they could get while Horizon sat on their thumbs. Horizon's current problems were avoidable, but they focused on cutting costs instead of investing in a sustainable future.

SIUav8er
10-17-2017, 03:21 PM
Instead of quibbling over a few dollars per hour, consider the leadership track records. SkyWest acquired every 175 they could get while Horizon sat on their thumbs. Horizon's current problems were avoidable, but they focused on cutting costs instead of investing in a sustainable future.

my point exactly. OO is a very well run company. Thier dominance in the regional market is proof of that. QX is clearly not.

OregonAviator
10-17-2017, 03:27 PM
my point exactly. OO is a very well run company. Thier dominance in the regional market is proof of that. QX is clearly not.

Yeah tell me how long being a well run company is gonna last when you're offering your pilots 1% pay raises and nothing more than new jets to fly and everyone else is upping pay left and right and offering huge bonuses. OO is behind the curve I'm wondering how long it'll take before they start having less and less applicants, or from what I hear lately that's already happening

word302
10-17-2017, 03:46 PM
Yeah tell me how long being a well run company is gonna last when you're offering your pilots 1% pay raises and nothing more than new jets to fly and everyone else is upping pay left and right and offering huge bonuses. OO is behind the curve I'm wondering how long it'll take before they start having less and less applicants, or from what I hear lately that's already happening

Who else is growing? We outpace attrition by 20 to 40 every month. Our TA was complete garbage yet we continue to fill classes. For now.

OregonAviator
10-17-2017, 03:58 PM
Who else is growing? We outpace attrition by 20 to 40 every month. Our TA was complete garbage yet we continue to fill classes. For now.

Even if you guys can manage to do that, how long do you think it will last? I'm actually curious. I have been told a few times recently from Skywest guys that the attrition is going up and they aren't sure how they'll be able to staff all the new flying you're gonna be taking on. Im not actively in Skywest forums so I have no idea where you guys are at I'm just saying this is what I hear lately and if I'm wrong correct me no doubt.

word302
10-17-2017, 04:05 PM
Even if you guys can manage to do that, how long do you think it will last? I'm actually curious. I have been told a few times recently from Skywest guys that the attrition is going up and they aren't sure how they'll be able to staff all the new flying you're gonna be taking on. Im not actively in Skywest forums so I have no idea where you guys are at I'm just saying this is what I hear lately and if I'm wrong correct me no doubt.

They'll have to raise pay as soon as the hiring slows. Until then, why would they?

OregonAviator
10-17-2017, 04:06 PM
They'll have to raise pay as soon as the hiring slows. Until then, why would they?

Idk why they would, I wish they would so everyone else can follow along and continue driving wages up.

word302
10-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Idk why they would, I wish they would so everyone else can follow along and continue driving wages up.

As do I...

Ispeakjive
10-18-2017, 12:34 AM

OO time to upgrade is under 2 years. Look at CA pay and figure on being gone to the majors after 3-5 years. That's much better than the QX implosion give or take 1%.

OregonAviator
10-18-2017, 01:55 AM
OO time to upgrade is under 2 years. Look at CA pay and figure on being gone to the majors after 3-5 years. That's much better than the QX implosion give or take 1%.

Last I checked QX upgrade is as soon as you have 1,000 sic....
how does being an OO pilot help you get to mainline any faster than any other airline? Lmao

cornbeef007
10-18-2017, 01:00 PM
There is also a future at SkyWest beyond three years, just in case you donít make it to a major quite as quickly as you

Does that include the 1% yearly raise or the unilateral reduction of long call reserve show times?

Griever
10-18-2017, 02:59 PM
Last I checked QX upgrade is as soon as you have 1,000 sic....
how does being an OO pilot help you get to mainline any faster than any other airline? Lmao

1000 sic or a combo of that and 135 pic. There's been at least one person that I know of that came in with that and bypassed.

Regarding the comment from the troll about canceling upgrades classes: that happened once back in the spring, and hasn't since.

So unless a know-nothing pilot from another airline has the inside scoop, I'd advise them to stop spreading misleading info.

Griever
10-18-2017, 03:00 PM
Hmm, appears my above comment lacks a smiley face indicative of a sarcastic comment. Weird.

word302
10-18-2017, 03:07 PM
Does that include the 1% yearly raise or the unilateral reduction of long call reserve show times?

Totally agree on out sad display of a TA. Not sure what you're referring to on the show time for long calls.

Jonneaux
10-18-2017, 03:57 PM

My compensation went up by about 8%. ***

Jonneaux
10-18-2017, 04:00 PM
So unless a know-nothing pilot from another airline has the inside scoop, I'd advise them to stop spreading misleading info.

Is your logbook up to date? 😉

cornbeef007
10-18-2017, 04:46 PM
My compensation went up by about 8%. You

What is you percentage increase between 2018 and 2019? Real rates, don’t spin with overrides or expected aircraft changes.

That’s what I’m talking about, you knew that.

Jonneaux
10-18-2017, 05:04 PM
What is you percentage increase between 2018 and 2019? Real rates, donít spin with overrides or expected aircraft changes.

Thatís what Iím talking about, you knew that.

With PPS, about 2-3%.

cornbeef007
10-18-2017, 05:19 PM
Is your logbook up to date? 😉

Sure it is, they will be at mainline soon enough.

cornbeef007
10-18-2017, 05:24 PM
With PPS, about 2-3%.

Why would anyone know what PPS is. Didnít you learn to define acronyms?

Jonneaux
10-18-2017, 06:09 PM
Why would anyone know what PPS is. Didnít you learn to define acronyms?

Anyone participating in this conversation should know what it is.

Pilot profit sharing. Semiannual payouts representing a guaranteed percentage of a guaranteed minimum profit. Actual payouts have far exceeded the minimum guarantee. In effect, an increase in your hourly rate which this past payout amounted to about $8.80/hr for Captains.

Alldaysushi
10-18-2017, 06:20 PM
It seems Horizon has done much to improve T&C's, along with new F/O's able to collect food stamps, they are considerate to find hotels
close to plasma donor centers...Wonderful forethought.

Safe travels...Sushi

cornbeef007
10-18-2017, 06:56 PM
Anyone participating in this conversation should know what it is.

Pilot profit sharing. Semiannual payouts representing a guaranteed percentage of a guaranteed minimum profit. Actual payouts have far exceeded the minimum guarantee. In effect, an increase in your hourly rate which this past payout amounted to about $8.80/hr for Captains.

So hypothetically, if Skywest lost 10 million for a given year, how would that payout work?

ASpilot2be
10-18-2017, 06:59 PM
So hypothetically, if Skywest lost 10 million for a given year, how would that payout work?

Havent you heard? Skywest is gods gift to aviation and will never lose money.

Jonneaux
10-18-2017, 07:30 PM

There is a guaranteed minimum regardless of whether the company makes money. We are a long way from losing money. Quite the contrary, we are doing quite well.

Ispeakjive
10-18-2017, 07:31 PM

SkyWest lost $161 million in 2016 and is till eating QX for lunch.

Jonneaux
10-18-2017, 07:34 PM

With a C****

Jonneaux
10-18-2017, 07:37 PM
SkyWest lost $161 million in 2016 and is till eating QX for lunch.

All of that and more was from the Expressjet side. Our bonuses are separate from them, based on SkyWest Airlines performance, not SkyWest Inc.

cornbeef007
10-18-2017, 08:00 PM
There is a guaranteed minimum regardless of whether the company makes money. We are a long way from losing money. Quite the contrary, we are doing quite well.

OK, again...a 10 or 100 million loss, what would the guaranteed payout be?

Jonneaux
10-18-2017, 08:59 PM

$11.7 million for 2017 increasing about 3.8% per year through 2019.

9% of $130 million ‘17, $135 million ‘18, $140 million ‘19-22.

Actual payout exceeded that by about 50%.

Ispeakjive
10-18-2017, 09:12 PM

The payout is being somewhere with a solid reputation that will contribute to your transition to a major. Interviewer: "I see you were at SkyWest. We like the pilots that come through their training program".
Vs. "Oooh I see... why Horizon (or Mesa) etc..."

OregonAviator
10-18-2017, 10:06 PM
The payout is being somewhere with a solid reputation that will contribute to your transition to a major. Interviewer: "I see you were at SkyWest. We like the pilots that come through their training program".

Lmao Horizon has a better training program than SkyWest.
Horizon isnít even near what Mesa is, clearly you were dropped on your head. And if you want to average out that claim your stating ďSkyWest has a better training program and reputation than HorizonĒ then Iím here to tell you overall Horizon Air has had a better reputation overall than SkyWest has currently. The only reason OO has a better reputation currently is because of the current rapid growth you guys have had.

Griever
10-19-2017, 02:13 AM

Get real. Nobody buys that crap.

amcnd
10-19-2017, 02:51 AM

They have to pay anyway. They have $400 million in the bank...

cornbeef007
10-19-2017, 07:46 AM
They have to pay anyway. They have $400 million in the bank...

Iíll ask you because Jonneaux isnít getting it.... if Skywest lost 10 million for the year, what would the guaranteed payout be? Forget the money in the bank, thatís not profit.

PanRobert
10-19-2017, 07:49 AM
Lmao Horizon has a better training program than SkyWest.
Horizon isnít even near what Mesa is, clearly you were dropped on your head. And if you want to average out that claim your stating ďSkyWest has a better training program and reputation than HorizonĒ then Iím here to tell you overall Horizon Air has had a better reputation overall than SkyWest has currently. The only reason OO has a better reputation currently is because of the current rapid growth you guys have had.
Rapid growth... what goes up must come down, right?

cornbeef007
10-19-2017, 07:56 AM

Not the major Iím at, we turn down plenty of Skywest people. In fact, most training programs are very similar from a regulatory perspective.

Skywest is a regional, like the rest....maybe arrogance is the reason we donít hire every Skywest guy or gal?

Jonneaux
10-19-2017, 08:28 AM
I’ll ask you because Jonneaux isn’t getting it.... if Skywest lost 10 million for the year, what would the guaranteed payout be? Forget the money in the bank, that’s not profit.

See ** you.

cornbeef007
10-19-2017, 08:55 AM
See the post on the previous page. It's all there for you.

No your assuming a profit. I want to know what you would see for a loss. You do need to work on reading comprehension, that is pretty clear.

Jonneaux
10-19-2017, 09:42 AM
No your assuming a profit. I want to know what you would see for a loss. You do need to work on reading comprehension, that is pretty clear.

Ok. So ****I'm sad**** embarrassed.

Jonneaux
10-19-2017, 09:48 AM
$11.7 million for 2017 increasing about 3.8% per year through 2019.

9% of $130 million ‘17, $135 million ‘18, $140 million ‘19-22.

Actual payout exceeded that by about 50%.

Once again**

OregonAviator
10-19-2017, 10:02 AM

That’s cool, go show those to people that care like maybe in the OO threads.

N19906
10-19-2017, 10:26 AM
Iím guessing they chased him away, and now heís living under your bridge. :rolleyes:

pete2800
10-19-2017, 10:37 AM
Your boyfriend was asking?

That's showing some great professionalism. Is that why you never made it out of a regional?

Haha, my second year pay is about to be higher than the top of your scale...

pete2800
10-19-2017, 10:42 AM
I'm happy for you. Why are you still playing in the kiddies sandbox?

Because kicking sand at the bully in the sandbox is fun.

snackysmores
10-19-2017, 11:32 AM

I'd love to see you try and hand fly a single engine CAT III down to 50ft covered in ice. Our training department is excellent; always has been.

Griever
10-19-2017, 03:09 PM
Ok. So you're just stupid. Or maybe just can't read at all. Everyone else understands, except you. I'm sad for you. It is spelled out in plain English. You should be embarrassed.

You're now just blatantly violating forum rules at this point.

cornbeef007
10-19-2017, 08:03 PM
Ok. So you're just stupid. Or maybe just can't read at all. Everyone else understands, except you. I'm sad for you. It is spelled out in plain English. You should be embarrassed.

That means a lot coming from you:) Why do you care so much about guys going to Horizon as opposed to Skywest? You already have your number until retirement...

Citation X
10-20-2017, 05:56 PM
Hi all, I was just curious as to how the jet training program was going over there. I have spoken with some fairly unhappy dash new hires in regards to the training and wash out rates.

ASpilot2be
10-20-2017, 06:30 PM
Hi all, I was just curious as to how the jet training program was going over there. I have spoken with some fairly unhappy dash new hires in regards to the training and wash out rates.

My friends in the jet program had no complaints.

I am in the middle of the Dash program, and I have zero complaints. The instructors are amazing, and the support you get have been outstanding. Not sure where the wash outs have been happening.

MKG Warrior
10-20-2017, 07:31 PM

Hello there, I'll chime in on this one. I am a new hire in the 175 and just finished my checkride this afternoon. I have no complaints with the training. At no time did I feel like there wasn't adequate support; all of the instructors were super helpful throughout training. Ground was a breeze with the cbt course. Prior to going to the sim, we were given multiple VPT sessions to review flows and other task. The training received in the sims was excellent and was blast; again the instructors were super helpful and productive with the lessons.

Griever
10-20-2017, 08:59 PM

The E175 training program is similar to the Dash program. Two weeks self study, a few days of indoc, four days ground school followed by a computerized exam. Trust me, you will pass the exam. Then 11 sim sessions which includes two "check" events. It's a super easy airplane to learn and fly, far easier than the Dash.

If people are washing out, like literally failing and being released from employment, they've already been given A LOT of remedial training (extra ground instruction, sim training, etc). If so, that's on them (and it's uncommon). Our training department is very professional, forgiving (to a point), and superb at taking low skill/time pilots and turning them into professional airline pilots.

Griever
10-20-2017, 09:01 PM
Hello there, I'll chime in on this one. I am a new hire in the 175 and just finished my checkride this afternoon. I have no complaints with the training. At no time did I feel like there wasn't adequate support; all of the instructors were super helpful throughout training. Ground was a breeze with the cbt course. Prior to going to the sim, we were given multiple VPT sessions to review flows and other task. The training received in the sims was excellent and was blast; again the instructors were super helpful and productive with the lessons.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the virtual procedures trainers. You get six of those. They're great for "priming the pump" before sim.

ASpilot2be
10-20-2017, 09:09 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about the virtual procedures trainers. You get six of those. They're great for "priming the pump" before sim.

My only minor complaint about the training I have is I wish those VPTs would get scheduled right before sim. I have 26 days off between VPT and sim. Luckily I live in town so I can use the CPT rooms.

That is my only nitpick of the training, other than that the training is amazing.

Griever
10-20-2017, 09:16 PM
My only minor complaint about the training I have is I wish those VPTs would get scheduled right before sim. I have 26 days off between VPT and sim. Luckily I live in town so I can use the CPT rooms.

That is my only nitpick of the training, other than that the training is amazing.
Yeah, sorry man. That problem was a result of the OLD management that completely screwed up our training resources. Even months after they were fired we are feeling their mistakes. If it's any consolation we are buying a new sim and using another one in STL. We will have three total up and running full time.

ASpilot2be
10-20-2017, 09:20 PM
Yeah, sorry man. That problem was a result of the OLD management that completely screwed up our training resources. Even months after they were fired we are feeling their mistakes. If it's any consolation we are buying a new sim and using another one in STL. We will have three total up and running full time.

Its all good. Its nice to see things moving in the right direction. Luckily it isnt my first airline ground school. So I know how to stay prepared.

It will be nice to have some more Q sims.

rickair7777
10-20-2017, 09:25 PM
Iíll ask you because Jonneaux isnít getting it.... if Skywest lost 10 million for the year, what would the guaranteed payout be? Forget the money in the bank, thatís not profit.

They have a guaranteed minimum payout for several years, even if the company loses money. Not as good as hard hourly rates, but at least it's locked in for a little while.

Griever
10-20-2017, 09:28 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention, we have seen our new flight ops VP unilaterally say that, in order to get new pilots on the line, the company is buying off trips of line pilots to get newly trained pilots fully qualified. It's a good deal for our line pilots, who get paid for time off and it's good for our pilots who are trying to get qualified.

Griever
10-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Its all good. Its nice to see things moving in the right direction. Luckily it isnt my first airline ground school. So I know how to stay prepared.

It will be nice to have some more Q sims.

Oh I'm sorry, I meant E175 Sims. QX already has three Q Sims running in SEA. Sorry :/

ASpilot2be
10-20-2017, 09:36 PM
Oh I'm sorry, I meant E175 Sims. QX already has three Q Sims running in SEA. Sorry :/

Hahaha. No worries. Still seems like we could use another Q sim.

Citation X
10-21-2017, 07:47 AM
So during training is there not the typical oral? Just a written?

Griever
10-21-2017, 10:11 AM

Correct. Traditional oral only during recurrent.

MKG Warrior
10-21-2017, 10:15 AM

No, there is no traditional oral exam, there is a systems validation exam. Just like the ground course, it to is computer based. The exam is composed of memory items, and randomly selected system and FOM related questions. To top it off, you are given an electronic copy of the FOM to reference during the exam. Nothing to sweat; if you put forth the effort and review you'll do fine. By far this was probably one my most enjoyable experiences when it comes to training and checkrides.

snackysmores
10-21-2017, 11:53 AM
Itís 120 questions. Part FOM (you are given a word document on the computer that has the FOM in it), part memory items, and systems.

I think most guys are getting around 5 questions wrong, you can miss 20 lol. Nothing to worry about.

The only oral that still remains is AQP recurrent cycle, and those are usually pretty easy. We have materials to assist with studying for that too.

Citation X
10-21-2017, 11:58 AM
I appreciate all the replays guys

cactusflyer
10-21-2017, 02:01 PM
I've heard rumors that QX is going to scale back some of the online training we're giving new hires, and add in more ground school time (which we'd reduced in favor of the online stuff), since running everything through the magic of the internet is apparently resulting in some interesting knowledge gaps for new people.

Griever
10-21-2017, 03:11 PM
I've heard rumors that QX is going to scale back some of the online training we're giving new hires, and add in more ground school time (which we'd reduced in favor of the online stuff), since running everything through the magic of the internet is apparently resulting in some interesting knowledge gaps for new people.
I heard that too. The training department has, thankfully, been pushing back against the policies of the previous, now fired, management team that screwed us so bad.

It's a good sign for sure.

flynshoe748
10-21-2017, 09:38 PM
As things change, things stay the same. The company never had trouble getting folks through the pipe before, and it will all return to what worked again

LineGrinder400
10-21-2017, 11:37 PM
I heard that too. The training department has, thankfully, been pushing back against the policies of the previous, now fired, management team that screwed us so bad.

It's a good sign for sure.

Other than the former VP of flt ops resigning and the CP presumably going to another position, who is part of this "previous management team" that's said to have been fired? It's being made to seem there was a massive shakeup in QX management when it seems only one person was actually "fired". Aren't many of the same faces still in the same positions?

Also, how has this sudden confidence in the future health of QX been achieved simply with a few new faces showing up? Aren't the same overriding negatives still in play that caused much of this "crisis" at QX to occur in the first place (low compensation, no AS flow, a turboprop with very tough schedules, lots of lifers, heavy attrition continuing to the majors by the non-lifers, unfavorable economies of scale compared to OO, other regionals with SEA/PDX pilot bases now, etc.)?

No I'm not SkyWest.. just interesting to note this new found optimism of QX health and still genuinely curious how this is supposed to pencil out long run for them.

SIUav8er
10-22-2017, 10:21 AM

thats what you call "scraping the bottom of the barrel". The regionals are essentially uaing the training department to "interview" candidates. Welcome to the "pilot shortage".

SIUav8er
10-22-2017, 10:24 AM
Other than the former VP of flt ops resigning and the CP presumably going to another position, who is part of this "previous management team" that's said to have been fired? It's being made to seem there was a massive shakeup in QX management when it seems only one person was actually "fired". Aren't many of the same faces still in the same positions?

Also, how has this sudden confidence in the future health of QX been achieved simply with a few new faces showing up? Aren't the same overriding negatives still in play that caused much of this "crisis" at QX to occur in the first place (low compensation, no AS flow, a turboprop with very tough schedules, lots of lifers, heavy attrition continuing to the majors by the non-lifers, unfavorable economies of scale compared to OO, other regionals with SEA/PDX pilot bases now, etc.)?

No I'm not SkyWest.. just interesting to note this new found optimism of QX health and still genuinely curious how this is supposed to pencil out long run for them.

The new found optimism is what all new management teams bring with them. Its management spin. Youre right, not a lot of new faces, but the key positions including VP of Flight Ops, Chief Pilot, and Director of Training are all fresh blood (From Alaska). It still rubs me the wrong way that a couple of them still hold a seniority number at Alaska, but whatever. I hope they bring more to the table than the previous lackeys.

Klsytakesit
10-22-2017, 08:43 PM
The new found optimism is what all new management teams bring with them. Its management spin. Youre right, not a lot of new faces, but the key positions including VP of Flight Ops, Chief Pilot, and Director of Training are all fresh blood (From Alaska). It still rubs me the wrong way that a couple of them still hold a seniority number at Alaska, but whatever. I hope they bring more to the table than the previous lackeys.
You are not getting any bright bulbs from Alaska....If you all are buying into their spin, good luck. You are going to be bent over....Period

Griever
10-22-2017, 09:21 PM
You are not getting any bright bulbs from Alaska....If you all are buying into their spin, good luck. You are going to be bent over....Period

I don't think anybody think we just received the messiah. We are just happy their not functional morons and that AAG is finally sending in somebody other than the water boys for the J.V. team.

flynshoe748
10-23-2017, 01:05 AM
Its enough to make a man go fly cargo...:D

I don't think anybody think we just received the messiah. We are just happy their not functional morons and that AAG is finally sending in somebody other than the water boys for the J.V. team.

Griever
10-23-2017, 02:30 AM
Its enough to make a man go fly cargo...:D

Nah this gig is way better than box haulin'!

Jcr07
10-31-2017, 04:16 PM
Itís 120 questions. Part FOM (you are given a word document on the computer that has the FOM in it), part memory items, and systems.

I think most guys are getting around 5 questions wrong, you can miss 20 lol. Nothing to worry about.

The only oral that still remains is AQP recurrent cycle, and those are usually pretty easy. We have materials to assist with studying for that too.

How long is the wait from ground school to the sims currently?

ASpilot2be
10-31-2017, 04:26 PM

On the Q I finished ground at the end of September, had three weeks off, a week of vpt, then almost a month until sim after that.

Griever
10-31-2017, 04:28 PM

Depends on what you call Ground School. Are you including the virtual procedures trainer? If so, then me and my FO waited three days.

The new head of training has streamlined training to get as many pilots to IOE as fast as possible.

Some people reported waiting as much as a few weeks as recently as last month, but this may be a blessing in disguise since if they were to catch an earlier slot it'd be either a 0200 show or a 2200 show (with a release of 0300).

QX is in the process of buying another E175 Sim and leasing more time in a E175 sim in STL.

Once FlightSafety SEA completes remodeling on sim bay #1, they will have another Q400 Sim running, for a total of 4.

I'd say that right now there's no reason to worry about a lengthy amount of time sitting idle at QX for initial training. We may be the one CPA carrier that needs people on the line so badly that we are literally doubling our instructor and check airman ranks (and increasing sim capacity by 50%)

ASpilot2be
10-31-2017, 06:49 PM
Depends on what you call Ground School. Are you including the virtual procedures trainer? If so, then me and my FO waited three days.

The new head of training has streamlined training to get as many pilots to IOE as fast as possible.

Some people reported waiting as much as a few weeks as recently as last month, but this may be a blessing in disguise since if they were to catch an earlier slot it'd be either a 0200 show or a 2200 show (with a release of 0300).

QX is in the process of buying another E175 Sim and leasing more time in a E175 sim in STL.

Once FlightSafety SEA completes remodeling on sim bay #1, they will have another Q400 Sim running, for a total of 4.

I'd say that right now there's no reason to worry about a lengthy amount of time sitting idle at QX for initial training. We may be the one CPA carrier that needs people on the line so badly that we are literally doubling our instructor and check airman ranks (and increasing sim capacity by 50%)
My class must be stuck in the middle. Because a lot of us have had close to two months off during this training process so far.

Griever
10-31-2017, 07:18 PM
My class must be stuck in the middle. Because a lot of us have had close to two months off during this training process so far.

I'm sorry to hear that. My experience, as is the experience I've cited above, are anecdotal and not inclusive of every experience. Yours is the first I've heard that has taken that long!

Are you scheduled for sim in Nov?

ASpilot2be
10-31-2017, 07:21 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. My experience, as is the experience I've cited above, are anecdotal and not inclusive of every experience. Yours is the first I've heard that has taken that long!

Are you scheduled for sim in Nov?

No worries. I havent had this much time off since middle school and summer vacation. So I am taking advantage of it.

My sim is scheduled for Nov 26.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1