Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Junior base?

J2092
07-08-2017, 01:46 AM
Just wondering what the most junior base for AirWis is. Thanks.

diverdriver2
07-08-2017, 03:29 AM
Just wondering what the most junior base for AirWis is. Thanks.

Right now we don't know because we are going through our first realignment in a long time. It's not just a vacancy. Closing DCA and seriously decreasing PHL. We don't know how IAD and ORD will shape up. So there's no way to answer you at this time.

Hopefully soon though.

el jefe
07-08-2017, 03:58 AM
For anyone getting hard right now you probably will never see any of our AA bases, going forward with United you can count on ORD being the junior base for first officers and IAD being a senior base for first officers. This is a WAG based on the proposed size of ORD being bigger than IAD, and the large amount of PHL residents that are going to drive to IAD over a commute to ORD.

CA side is a toss up right now with the majority already commuting.

Details are still vague as to ORF staying open within the UA system. My best guess is that it will become a MX base with no crews like MKE and CAE.

Beech Dude
09-12-2017, 08:54 PM
El jefe,

I was just on the AWAC site and read up on the new United deal. Does this mean AWAC will no longer operate for AA at all? Just curious as I would desire to be PHL based. But, like you said, the drive down 95 to IAD isn't bad at all. Thanks for the insight.

prex8390
09-13-2017, 03:34 AM
American airlines operations are ending in February. No more phl real soon.

StrykerB21
09-13-2017, 03:39 AM
For anyone getting hard right now you probably will never see any of our AA bases, going forward with United you can count on ORD being the junior base for first officers and IAD being a senior base for first officers. This is a WAG based on the proposed size of ORD being bigger than IAD, and the large amount of PHL residents that are going to drive to IAD over a commute to ORD.

CA side is a toss up right now with the majority already commuting.

Details are still vague as to ORF staying open within the UA system. My best guess is that it will become a MX base with no crews like MKE and CAE.

I hope you meant getting HIRED haha.

Otterbox
09-13-2017, 07:19 AM
El jefe,
I was just on the AWAC site and read up on the new United deal. Does this mean AWAC will no longer operate for AA at all? Just curious as I would desire to be PHL based.

Correct, if you want a PHL base look at Piedmont.

Beech Dude
09-13-2017, 06:10 PM
Otterbox,

Yeah. I've heard good things about Piedmont. Thanks for the heads up.

el jefe
09-16-2017, 03:52 PM
I hope you meant getting HIRED haha.

I meant what I said.

;)

ChrisInWI
11-14-2017, 04:59 PM
I know it's only been 2 months since this discussion went cold but any updates? I'm interested in getting some 121 training and experience at a regional and an ORD base is very appealing to me. With the base reshuffle is AW a good bet for a junior FO to get ORD out of training (50/50 right?)?

Roverruckus
11-15-2017, 04:12 AM
ORD will be the easiest base to get out of training at the moment.

Bone75
12-08-2017, 06:09 AM
Any chance Air Wisconsin opens a junior base at LAX?

DarkSideMoon
12-08-2017, 06:43 AM

There's a chance of anything. I don't think it's likely in the near term though. Possibly DAY or ATW soon since they're maintenance bases.

BFMthisA10
12-08-2017, 08:51 AM
There's a chance of anything. I don't think it's likely in the near term though. Possibly DAY or ATW soon since they're maintenance bases.

No kidding? I hear there’s a mx base in SE Virginia also, which would be nice.

Grumbletrousers
12-08-2017, 11:06 AM
No kidding? I hear there’s a mx base in SE Virginia also, which would be nice.

Super spicy

flyjustinfly
12-15-2017, 07:21 AM

LAX is SkyWest country for United, as well as the West coast is getting much more E175 heavy and the -200 counts are dwindling. LAX most likely wouldn't be a Jr base anyways, but I'd say about a .05% chance of a Whiskey base in LAX

Mmitc609
01-16-2018, 12:21 PM
Hello all, looking at both Skywest and Air Wi. Relocated back to WI after flying Mil for the last few years on the east coast. It seems there is a good chance of MSP for Skywest, but wondering how senior MKE is looking for FO, or just in general how many people live in that area and will prefer that over ORD? I'm assuming MKE will be a very senior base?!?!?! That will make or break my decision on which one I go with as of now. Thanks for any thoughts.

DarkSideMoon
01-16-2018, 12:33 PM
Hello all, looking at both Skywest and Air Wi. Relocated back to WI after flying Mil for the last few years on the east coast. It seems there is a good chance of MSP for Skywest, but wondering how senior MKE is looking for FO, or just in general how many people live in that area and will prefer that over ORD? I'm assuming MKE will be a very senior base?!?!?! That will make or break my decision on which one I go with as of now. Thanks for any thoughts.

My WAG is that MKE will be very senior on the captain side and relatively junior on the FO side. ORD is the junior base now and I can imagine the only people who will want to move from ORD to MKE are Wisconsinites.

Should know more soon.

Mmitc609
01-16-2018, 12:39 PM
Great, thanks for the MKE projection. When you do know more, perhaps you could post or PM me if you think of it and get the chance. Thanks again.

Thunder Pig
01-17-2018, 02:01 AM
Any updates on how long it’ll take to hold IAD as an FO?

BFMthisA10
01-27-2018, 12:08 PM
The latest class all went to MKE.
IAD went from 4.5 months from DOH in Jan to almost a year with the latest drop. But that was heavily influenced by closing the last AE base, and spreading the FO peanut butter toward the new MKE base. Hopefully in the next few months it will settle out as classes continue.

Voski
01-29-2018, 08:36 PM
Air Wisconsin is touting 18-24 months to upgrade, however, I am super skeptical of anything any recruiting department throws out. How are they getting to that number given that there really isn't any more growth to be had at the company for the time being. Are they really expecting attrition levels to be that high?

Grumbletrousers
01-29-2018, 10:22 PM
Air Wisconsin is touting 18-24 months to upgrade, however, I am super skeptical of anything any recruiting department throws out. How are they getting to that number given that there really isn't any more growth to be had at the company for the time being. Are they really expecting attrition levels to be that high?

We’re growing because we lost 30% of our pilot group last year. We have 65 airplanes and the company wants about 750-800 pilots on property (we have about 550 now) We’re also losing a steady stream of pilots to B6, NK, WN and DL. The numbers make sense if we continue to hire at the current rate.

IFLYACRJ
01-30-2018, 03:54 PM
Last upgrade award went to a pilot with a hire date of April, 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junkyard Dog
01-30-2018, 04:31 PM
Last upgrade award went to a pilot with a hire date of April, 2015

Tapatalk

I heard you finally upgraded.
Congrats, man. Enjoy the left seat. Gonna miss flying with you. You deserved it. You paid more than your share of dues.

pilotAE
01-31-2018, 11:28 PM
IAD most senior
then ORD followed by MKE

injun21
02-08-2018, 07:57 PM
IAD most senior
then ORD followed by MKE

Yes, I was awarded MKE FO LINEHOLDER while in systems.

Naaay
07-09-2018, 12:26 PM
Anyone getting IAD out of training? If not what's the current wait? Thank you!

T28driver
07-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Anyone getting IAD out of training? If not what's the current wait? Thank you!

No. It will be pretty long wait:

Most junior reserve FO in IAD is a January 2018 hire.

Most junior FO Lineholder is a July 2017 hire.

Most junior Reseve captain is a July 2013 hire.

Most junior lineholder capatin is a November 2008 hire.

RabidW0mbat
07-10-2018, 07:56 AM
Approximate time to expect to sit reserve in ORD before holding a line?

Trying to game out whether it's worth it to go for a line in MKE out of the gate, or deal with ORD Reserve while living in the Chicago burbs. Class on Aug. 6th.

idlethrust
07-10-2018, 07:59 AM

Trying to game out whether it's worth it to go for a line in MKE out of the gate, or deal with ORD Reserve while living in the Chicago burbs. Class on Aug. 6th.
Worry about getting through training first

DarkSideMoon
07-10-2018, 08:52 AM

Sitting reserve while living in base is a cakewalk.

Naaay
07-11-2018, 04:38 PM
No. It will be pretty long wait:

Most junior reserve FO in IAD is a January 2018 hire.

Most junior FO Lineholder is a July 2017 hire.

Most junior Reseve captain is a July 2013 hire.

Most junior lineholder capatin is a November 2008 hire.

Thx T28! Appreciate the info.