Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Training footprint, days off, pay

SkyNation
07-22-2017, 12:12 PM
Anyone been through the process lately?

My info is old, when most new hires had the type. A buddy said he always was done with class Friday at lunch, back at it Monday and he and his classmates would go home for the weekend.

I'm hearing it's much more intense now, with few days off and not much of a chance to go home.

What's pay during training?

thx

Proximity
07-22-2017, 01:41 PM
New hire pay is 85, 87, or 89 TFP per month. Hotel is paid, no per diem. Once you finish IOE your last month of training will be pro-rated, then any trips you fly will be added. Expect approx 90 TFP that month.

CA1900
07-22-2017, 04:08 PM
Definitely harder to get home more than once or maybe twice, unless you live close by.

For brevity I won't give a day-by-day, but it's an 8-week program, with 12-14 days off spaced throughout the program. Several of those are single days off. A couple of 2-day off periods, which aren't always on weekends.

You'll get off 4 of the 6 days of the pre-oral and oral exam part of training, which could be 4 contiguous days off, but it could just as easily be 2 off, 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off. That just depends on your particular schedule, since they depend on examiner availability.

The "done by lunch" thing definitely didn't happen during class days. It certainly could on the procedure trainer or simulator days if you have the crack-of-dawn slot, but that's about it. Maybe an hour or two early on some days if we made good progress, but that's the most I saw.

If you're close enough to bring a car, definitely do it. It will make life easier.

As Proximity said, newhire pay varies by how many days are in the month, but figure average 88 trips-for-pay at $67.32, equaling $5924 a month, plus 14.2% ($841.21; next year's number) going directly into your 401k from the company. No per-diem hurts, but it'll get much better once you're out there flying.

at6d
07-22-2017, 11:02 PM
Days off can vary based on when you are hired. I was hired during the holiday season; we had Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Year's day off. Sometimes we had class through Saturday, sometimes only 1 day off. For us, 52 days duration.

Tao of Funk
09-15-2017, 09:12 AM
Starting class on Tuesday, staying at the Dallas Marriott Suites Medical/Market. The Marriott website says rooms have a mini fridge. Does your room have a microwave in it?

SINCE
09-15-2017, 09:56 AM
Is that 67.32 tfp rate changing with the 3% bump in rates on Sept 1? Or does that only apply to year 2 and up?

Smooth at FL450
09-15-2017, 10:24 AM
Is that 67.32 tfp rate changing with the 3% bump in rates on Sept 1? Or does that only apply to year 2 and up?

It applies across the board. 1sr year rate is now $69.34/trip (approx $79.67/hour)

Twinjetav8r
09-15-2017, 03:34 PM
This is our schedule. Started the 29th. You will have a different day schedule sheet also. So the description may not necessarily be what is on this sheet. The days off mostly are, except during orals. Some guys have an oral exam starting Saturday and then have Sun-Wed off. Some have orals Sunday, so they have Friday and Mon-Wed off. You have a pre oral the day before. During sims, it all depends on your slot. Some have 8-12, some 12-1600, some 1600-2000. I can tell you, on the 11th day, Friday, you have self study after lunch. Most everybody bolts at noon and heads home because you have the weekend off. This is a good time to do some of your jumpseat observer rides. You have to do 4 by the first procedures trainer, which is day 44.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170915/64c6f8347004a035c28126cbb3c401d7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170915/e1b372282939131fb21459ebaed1435b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TerrainTerrain
09-15-2017, 04:06 PM
Still confused by pay. What is average takehome every 2 weeks?

Thanks!

Smooth at FL450
09-15-2017, 05:09 PM
Still confused by pay. What is average takehome every 2 weeks?

Thanks!

5th of month paycheck: 47 x your trip rate
20th of month: previous months trips flown-47 x trip rate, + per diem.

TerrainTerrain
09-15-2017, 06:43 PM
5th of month paycheck: 47 x your trip rate
20th of month: previous months trips flown-47 x trip rate, + per diem.

Ok so like 3500 every 2 weeks during training?

at6d
09-15-2017, 09:00 PM
Get those observation rides done. If you jumpseat home, you can use that as an opportunity. Also, you can knock out a quick trip to SAT, AUS, or HOU after class sometimes.

CA1900
09-15-2017, 09:02 PM
Ok so like 3500 every 2 weeks during training?

More like $3000. Training pay is roughly 88 trips per month, so about $6100 gross. The check on the 5th is larger at 47.5 TFP, the 20th is 40.5 TFP, varying slightly by how many days in the month. Also, while the hotel is covered, there's no per diem in training, so it's a lean couple of months. Gets much better when you're out flying.

saab2000
09-16-2017, 02:40 AM
Also, at least with my class, they paid us a full paycheck on the first pay period. Then, a few weeks later, they withheld a full paycheck with the explanation (and I believe it to have been correct with no malice) that the first one was an advance knowing that we had expenses to cover. So at one point we went a month without incoming cash.

It is a bit of a tight couple months and the improvements don't start showing up in your take-home pay until a month into being out on the line.

Budget accordingly.

Your take-home pay will likely be lower than you anticipate due to deductions, depending upon which health care plan you choose, any HSA or 401(k) contributions you elect to make, etc.

Checking each pay statement will give you a detailed breakdown of the deductions, and there are plenty though many are not big each month.

The main thing to remember is that it is indeed a lean first three months or so.

apu4eva
09-16-2017, 07:20 AM
Man this is awesome info! I'm attending the Job Fair on the 30th, hope to get the interview soon. I don't personally know anyone that works for Southwest and I've only known the corporate world, so all of this is really helping me paint a picture for what to expect!

StayFrosty
09-16-2017, 07:27 AM
Thanks for all the info. I was recently hired and waiting for a class date in October. Some of these postings have been a tremendous help in preparing for years 1 & 2.

slammer1906
09-16-2017, 12:26 PM
What are lunch and dinner options? Any way to grocery shop and save a little cash?

e6bpilot
09-16-2017, 02:29 PM
What are lunch and dinner options? Any way to grocery shop and save a little cash?

There is a new training center that is supposed to have its own restaurant, although I haven't been there and neither have most line guys since it is still being completed. You can bring your own food for lunch too if you like.
There are lots of local shopping options around the new hire hotel. People will have cars you can use or you can just Uber. I was in the DT for new hire and I ate the majority of my meals out of the microwave in my room and bought them from Trader Joe's or HEB.

flyguy81
09-16-2017, 02:43 PM
I had the van take me to the grocery store every other week and loaded up on food that I put in the mini-fridge. Ate breakfast and lunch out of my room/bag and the. Ate dinner with classmates at a random place on the way home from class. Good way to unwind after the day and still be social since I skipped the employee cafeterias during lunch.

Twinjetav8r
09-16-2017, 05:21 PM

If you are an Amazon Prime member, download Amazon Now. You can grocery shop on there. I did it last week. They deliver to your room in two hours, if available. Mine was 3. I found a $10 off coupon online. They didn't charge a delivery fee. Only a $5 tip.

I have taken my lunch everyday. A bunch of us are either gold or diamond at Hilton, so we eat free breakfast and the dinner they have in the concierge room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skyward
09-26-2017, 03:08 PM
When do benefits (health insurance, travel, etc.) start? First day or later?

CA1900
09-26-2017, 03:23 PM
When do benefits (health insurance, travel, etc.) start? First day or later?

Health insurance and other benefits start on day 1, as does travel for you. For your spouse/kids, it may take a few days to get them into the travel system, but it's fairly quick as it's the same department as benefits that gets you in. For your parents, it's the pass travel department that adds them, so it may take several weeks before they'll be in the system to non-rev.

Skyward
09-27-2017, 10:34 AM
How is seniority determined in class... age, SSN, something else?

Thanks

CA1900
09-27-2017, 10:35 AM
How is seniority determined in class... age, SSN, something else?

It's by age.

Skyward
09-27-2017, 05:54 PM
It's by age.

Cool, thanks