Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : New base coming up?

crxpilot
07-29-2017, 05:53 PM
Anyone hearing of a new base about to open? If so, I'm guessing AUS.

greeka
07-30-2017, 07:34 AM
Didn't are newly departed leader say in a town hall meeting that KIND was the most likely next since we have a ton of arrivals and departures there?

BlueHenFR8Dawg
07-30-2017, 04:19 PM
Didn't are newly departed leader say in a town hall meeting that KIND was the most likely next since we have a ton of arrivals and departures there?

Same with BLV; approximately 30/wk. Have a feeling we might be surprised? Maybe not?

CAirBear
07-30-2017, 04:54 PM
One thing I've learned here is mngmt are like kids in a candy store. They change their minds all the time and some of what is suggested makes no sense.

I've learned to just ignore it. I think, and I could be wrong, the last town hall mentioned they wouldn't be announcing anything until next year.

grnclvrs
07-31-2017, 07:42 AM
Same with BLV; approximately 30/wk. Have a feeling we might be surprised? Maybe not?

Two words - KGRR and KAVL

ecam
07-31-2017, 08:59 AM
This rumor is so old that it's getting boring. I would put my money on AUS since we built a new terminal there which seems like only we would use. I don't think IND makes sense since we already have CVG and PIT so close. I've heard SDF mentioned too, but same problem.

If I were actually in charge of anything, I'd spend my money solidifying the current bases and making sure the rest of the transition isn't a cluster**** instead of spreading us even thinner. But past actions speak loudly and the one person who always spoke out against stupid greedy decisions doesn't work here anymore. So anything is possible.

KC135
07-31-2017, 12:32 PM
Ops in AUS seems to think a base there will open spring 2018. My guess is we see 2 new bases in the next 1-2 years, AUS and IND or MEM. VPS may also become a permanent base.

CAirBear
07-31-2017, 04:29 PM
This rumor is so old that it's getting boring. I would put my money on AUS since we built a new terminal there which seems like only we would use. I don't think IND makes sense since we already have CVG and PIT so close. I've heard SDF mentioned too, but same problem.

If I were actually in charge of anything, I'd spend my money solidifying the current bases and making sure the rest of the transition isn't a cluster**** instead of spreading us even thinner. But past actions speak loudly and the one person who always spoke out against stupid greedy decisions doesn't work here anymore. So anything is possible.

Exactly. I don't pay any attention anymore. Your right, one would think AUS, yet they didn't announce any new routes out of AUS a few weeks back. 🤷*♂️ Your right about IND and CLE - very close to CVG.

They talk about a Midwest base. And I have heard DSM, MCI (KC) and ICT. I know DSM
Is a very very good market for us. I live there and see it every week. MCI is very new, but given they have added numerous markets I would say it's safe to say the market is doing very well. I don't know much about ICT.

A true Midwest base serves both west and east coast so it should be able to work. Christ if we have one airplane if OAK I'm pretty sure you can make some other bases work 🙄

N1sync
08-01-2017, 09:49 AM
AUS announcement is supposed to be coming tomorrow, layovers begin in Austin this fall and the base opens early next year.

Also, hiring has more than doubled (28-30/mo) from what they projected just a couple months ago which is a good sign that the growth rumor is real.

worksweekends
08-01-2017, 10:56 AM
AUS announcement is supposed to be coming tomorrow, layovers begin in Austin this fall and the base opens early next year.

Also, hiring has more than doubled (28-30/mo) from what they projected just a couple months ago which is a good sign that the growth rumor is real.

Yep, Austin will open in march with 3 airplanes. Bellville will be announced sometime in 2018. That's it for the next year or two. Comes from pretty reliable sources, but who the hell knows. The Bellville rumor was somewhat confirmed in their local newspaper by the airport manager talking about some big growth and a base at their airport. Didn't read it personally, look it up.

Hiring - I actually just heard the opposite about 2 days ago. 6-8 per month. hope I'm wrong.

Here's a fun one - International service being announced in Nov or Dec. Cancun and Punta Cana to start, out of PIT and CVG, basically just turning the apple charters into how they work with every other airline; apple buys seats on the flight. December or January will have more announcements for flights into Punta Cana, hearing as many as 4 daily departures.

-Allentown is most underserved market in the nation, perhaps some growth in that market ;)

So with any luck, 50% of this will come true!

JustWatching
08-01-2017, 05:45 PM
Yep, Austin will open in march with 3 airplanes. Bellville will be announced sometime in 2018. That's it for the next year or two. Comes from pretty reliable sources, but who the hell knows. The Bellville rumor was somewhat confirmed in their local newspaper by the airport manager talking about some big growth and a base at their airport. Didn't read it personally, look it up.

Hiring - I actually just heard the opposite about 2 days ago. 6-8 per month. hope I'm wrong.

Here's a fun one - International service being announced in Nov or Dec. Cancun and Punta Cana to start, out of PIT and CVG, basically just turning the apple charters into how they work with every other airline; apple buys seats on the flight. December or January will have more announcements for flights into Punta Cana, hearing as many as 4 daily departures.

-Allentown is most underserved market in the nation, perhaps some growth in that market ;)

So with any luck, 50% of this will come true!

Hiring.... the CP's call two weeks ago said Aug 14 class was something like 28.

ecam
08-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Belleville, huh? I bet that becomes our most junior base immediately.

sqwkvfr
08-01-2017, 08:23 PM
Belleville, huh? I bet that becomes our most junior base immediately.

Perhaps, but I don't think Oakland is going down without a fight. 😂

CAirBear
08-02-2017, 09:19 AM

I think you meant IND lol

Beretta01
08-02-2017, 09:25 AM

LOL....I was hoping for AUS, as well.

Captainbfv
08-02-2017, 09:51 AM
Many were hoping AUS would be the new base in the spring.
But I will say I'm not surprised Indy will be a new base. It should be a descent base, and will probably go junior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecam
08-02-2017, 10:54 AM
And, true to form, they chose the option that makes the least sense.

CAirBear
08-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Many were hoping AUS would be the new base in the spring.
But I will say I'm not surprised Indy will be a new base. It should be a descent base, and will probably go junior.

You would think, but I think there are a decent amount of CVG guys who live in IND and drive over. Not positive tho. I could be totally wrong.

Captainbfv
08-02-2017, 12:21 PM
You would think, but I think there are a decent amount of CVG guys who live in IND and drive over. Not positive tho. I could be totally wrong.

You might be right. There are always variables. And this airline is full of surprises

JustWatching
08-02-2017, 02:45 PM

That's funny.... Anyone who comes on here and pretends to have inside info is usually made the fool. :D

akulahunter
08-02-2017, 06:53 PM
Doesn't surprise me that IND was the one they announced, we do a lot of service through there and there isn't a ton of direct narrowbody competition... One of the last few town halls inferred that they would announce one or two bases this year then a couple early next year. I would expect that they make VPS permanent in October.

They didn't really mention hiring today but they did say that we were planning to grow 10% through the transition (down from 20% before transition). On the investor's call they said hiring at ~10 per month, but I just left Vegas a few days ago and heard 20+/40+ for the next couple of months for classes and training department is gearing up for 30+/month for the foreseeable future.

Another interesting tidbit from today's call is that Sun Country is going on the market soon, but no mention of whether we were one of the interested parties in buying them...

Edit220
08-07-2017, 08:41 AM
Does anyone think that IND base will go more JR then OAK captain? Does about 15 crews for 2 planes sound about right?

crxpilot
08-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Does anyone think that IND base will go more JR then OAK captain? Does about 15 crews for 2 planes sound about right?

I would guess IND will be as popular as CVG. So whatever seniority rankings cvg holds...so will IND.

KC135
08-07-2017, 12:17 PM
My guess for IND is mostly late 15' hires for Captain and mostly new hires for FO.

ecam
08-08-2017, 08:12 AM
There are a handful of pilots in CVG who have been commuting from the IND area. So probably a mix of very senior and very junior. Wouldn't be surprised to see some new hires backfill the FOs, and a couple of very junior CAs. Just like every new base.

OzarkALPilot
10-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Any updates on a permanent VPS Base?

Captainbfv
10-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Any updates on a permanent VPS Base?

Nope

Egg320
10-21-2017, 11:03 AM
What is the order of seniorority of bases from most senior to most junior and how long does it take on average approximately to move to a base you want?

LoFly
10-21-2017, 01:03 PM
What is the order of seniorority of bases from most senior to most junior and how long does it take on average approximately to move to a base you want?

read through the last 100 pages of this thread (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/allegiant/90734-allegiant-air-574.html) you'll find all the info you need.

ecam
10-22-2017, 07:56 AM

CAs: BLI, LAS, IWA, SFB, LAX, CVG, IND, PIE, VBD, PIT, FLL, PGD, OAK
FOs: IWA, BLI, VBD, PIE, SFB, IND, LAS, CVG, AVL, FLL, PGD, LAX, OAK.

Give or take.

How long to hold is a moving target here because most pilots don't want to commute/crashpad. So once they get where they live they stay until upgrade. Most of the movement comes from growth and new bases opening.

As said repeatedly in the last hundred pages, typical new hire bases are LAX, OAK, LAS, SFB, PGD, and FLL with the other bases occasionally scattered in.