Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : SWA In-House Job Fair, 30 Sep 17?

Warhawg01
08-10-2017, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't bet against it...

Crdrvr1
08-10-2017, 08:04 PM
Yes but for goodness sakes..don't put several devices up refreshing them every few seconds..all that does is crash the servers and prolonging what you could have gotten with one submission.

Riverside
08-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Why? They just met 1200 pilots at obap.

PotatoChip
08-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Why? They just met 1200 pilots at obap.

A recruiter at OBAP told me to not bet against 9/30/2017 as well. Just sayin...

Going Missed
08-12-2017, 08:52 AM
Where have they announced past in-house job fairs?

Neosporin
08-12-2017, 08:59 AM
on the front page of Pilot Credentials it says "click to view job Fairs".

Peacock
08-12-2017, 01:41 PM
Yes but for goodness sakes..don't put several devices up refreshing them every few seconds..all that does is crash the servers and prolonging what you could have gotten with one submission.
That's how I got a spot at April's job fair. Better advice: even if it says it's full, don't stop refreshing and trying. Hopefully they will come up with a better system where they select competitive candidates instead of first come first serve.

PotatoChip
08-12-2017, 07:00 PM

For the FedEx job fair I had five devices on two continents.
It matters.

Squallrider
08-13-2017, 01:13 PM
So thy usually give a heads up before tickets go out and how long in advance?

MtnMan
08-14-2017, 05:41 AM
For the 22 April event, the sign up was exactly a month out, on 22 March. Figuring out the sign up day wasn't the hard part, securing a spot however...

RiseGuy
08-19-2017, 05:15 PM
Per the website, it is showing an event on the 30th with availability to sign up on Aug 30th.

Anyone with experience from the last Open Houses remember around a timeframe when it opened up?

Also any insight as to how the day progressed would be great. I tried to scour the previous threads but am curious to what types of questions were asked on the 1-on-1 and in general what the event entailed.

Greatly appreciate any information and as a Dallas native would be delighted to join the ranks.

Tenacvols
08-19-2017, 06:14 PM
Per the website, it is showing an event on the 30th with availability to sign up on Aug 30th.

Anyone with experience from the last Open Houses remember around a timeframe when it opened up?

Also any insight as to how the day progressed would be great. I tried to scour the previous threads but am curious to what types of questions were asked on the 1-on-1 and in general what the event entailed.

Greatly appreciate any information and as a Dallas native would be delighted to join the ranks.

If I had to guess it would be noon central time. Most things open up around here at noon central...

Zini
08-19-2017, 07:44 PM
I went to both of the previous job fairs. (have been hired by SWA since) They take them very seriously, they make them fun and informative. Of course, everyone is there for the 1 on 1 and they know it. You "checked in" to the event with provided computers to show that you were there. There was a meet and greet, followed by breaking up into groups of about 10-15 people and then you went on tours of the NOC and toured the various buildings.

The 1 on 1 was basically a complete review of your pilotcredentials profile. They go through it line by line, and look at your resume and ask you questions. Its pretty informal to be honest. However, I will say the guy who did my 1 on 1 did my logbook review during my actual interview. So, the people who are doing the 1 on 1 are the ACTUAL interviewers. Impress them, give them something to remember you by, and you'll perhaps get a call.

We need everyone we can get. Many people are not showing up for classes as other majors are hiring so much. Folks are interviewing and being offered classes as soon as 2 weeks out. Pretty nuts really. So, we need another 350ish this year, along with another 1000 next year.

Pilot hiring is saying, "Hire pilots and dont stop" is their guidance. Its a good time for those looking to come over.

The grass is definitely greener! Best of luck!

GatorHog
08-19-2017, 08:43 PM
I went to both of the previous job fairs. (have been hired by SWA since) They take them very seriously, they make them fun and informative. Of course, everyone is there for the 1 on 1 and they know it. You "checked in" to the event with provided computers to show that you were there. There was a meet and greet, followed by breaking up into groups of about 10-15 people and then you went on tours of the NOC and toured the various buildings.

The 1 on 1 was basically a complete review of your pilotcredentials profile. They go through it line by line, and look at your resume and ask you questions. Its pretty informal to be honest. However, I will say the guy who did my 1 on 1 did my logbook review during my actual interview. So, the people who are doing the 1 on 1 are the ACTUAL interviewers. Impress them, give them something to remember you by, and you'll perhaps get a call.

We need everyone we can get. Many people are not showing up for classes as other majors are hiring so much. Folks are interviewing and being offered classes as soon as 2 weeks out. Pretty nuts really. So, we need another 350ish this year, along with another 1000 next year.

Pilot hiring is saying, "Hire pilots and dont stop" is their guidance. Its a good time for those looking to come over.

I can vouche for this. The captain I sat down for my 1-on-1 with at the job fair was a part of the team of interviewers when I interviewed a few months later. If you go to the job fair, do your best to remember your 1-on-1's name and face. It may come in handy.

seminolepilot
08-20-2017, 12:23 AM

Very informative, I guess this answers my question too. I'm short of the 2500TT requirement by 100hrs but wanted to go. If they do 1 on 1's I'm thinking it won't look good for someone who doesn't meet the mins to be there.

CRJDriver
08-20-2017, 02:18 AM

But are they actually hiring guys, yet without Turbine PIC time? I'm 10+ years 121 experience, but no TPIC time (not by choice), currently flying for a 'major'. Is it worth going to the hiring expo? I've heard TPIC is still a must or your resume has to be pretty amazing with other qualifications to even get a look.

ZapBrannigan
08-20-2017, 04:02 AM
But are they actually hiring guys, yet without Turbine PIC time? I'm 10+ years 121 experience, but no TPIC time (not by choice), currently flying for a 'major'. Is it worth going to the hiring expo? I've heard TPIC is still a must or your resume has to be pretty amazing with other qualifications to even get a look.

Just wanted to say that I did the same thing you did. Went to a major before 9/11 without any turbine PIC. Furloughed after 9/11 and the competitive hiring requirements went through the stratosphere. Took me another 10 years to finally get that 1000 PIC turbine.

I have a whole lot of regrets in my career but one of the biggest was leaving the regionals before getting the PIC time. That decision ended up costing me many years of struggles during the lean times of the lost decade.

I don't think that you're in the same boat given the current hiring environment. But I also believe that things are still pretty competitive. Without the PIC time I think that you would need some impressive qualifications that help your resume rise to the top among the many candidates who DO have PIC time (in addition to check airmen, chief pilots, WINGS counselors, huge volunteerism, folks with masters degrees, etc)

Another year into the shortage and things might be different. I'm rooting for you! Hopefully you do better than I did.

Learflyer
08-20-2017, 04:51 AM
Just wanted to say that I did the same thing you did. Went to a major before 9/11 without any turbine PIC. Furloughed after 9/11 and the competitive hiring requirements went through the stratosphere. Took me another 10 years to finally get that 1000 PIC turbine.

I have a whole lot of regrets in my career but one of the biggest was leaving the regionals before getting the PIC time. That decision ended up costing me many years of struggles during the lean times of the lost decade.

I don't think that you're in the same boat given the current hiring environment. But I also believe that things are still pretty competitive. Without the PIC time I think that you would need some impressive qualifications that help your resume rise to the top among the many candidates who DO have PIC time (in addition to check airmen, chief pilots, WINGS counselors, huge volunteerism, folks with masters degrees, etc)

Another year into the shortage and things might be different. I'm rooting for you! Hopefully you do better than I did.

I know the feeling. The "lost decade" feeling anyway. I was always a corporate/charter guy. Still am. The bolded part is what some of the youngin's on here seem to forget actuallly happened to thousands of us.

itsmytime
08-20-2017, 05:03 AM

You're already at a "major" with no TPIC, and you're looking to jump ship?

Tsanford134
08-20-2017, 05:09 AM
Do the slots open up Tuesday night at midnight? With everyone sitting by the computer jamming the server? Lol

ZapBrannigan
08-20-2017, 05:11 AM
You're already at a "major" with no TPIC, and you're looking to jump ship?

Could be Spirit, Frontier, JetBlue etc. If you are young enough, moving on from one of those could still be a smart move.

OR moving to eliminate an onerous commute...

Lots of reasons to change companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRJDriver
08-20-2017, 05:24 AM
Could be Spirit, Frontier, JetBlue etc. If you are young enough, moving on from one of those could still be a smart move.

OR moving to eliminate an onerous commute...

Lots of reasons to change companies.

^^^^ What he said. The "BlueJuice" Airline might be classified as a major, but lacks what SWA and the legacies have to offer! Is it the worst place to be? No, but with 30 some years left (hopefully) I am looking for better!

ZapBrannigan
08-20-2017, 06:20 AM
^^^^ What he said. The "BlueJuice" Airline might be classified as a major, but lacks what SWA and the legacies have to offer! Is it the worst place to be? No, but with 30 some years left (hopefully) I am looking for better!

My June 2013 class at jetBlue can already hold E190 Captain. It'll be another decade before I see the left seat at SWA. (which is fine, I have a young kiddo and wouldn't choose to upgrade until he goes to college anyway)

JetBlue pays for parking (at domicile or commuter city - or gives you a citywide rail pass!), uniforms. They have long call reserve, pre-release days, and you can get released early on the last day.

Using the ACARS or text-to-your-phone system at B6 you can see your partners photo so you know who to look for in the lounge, pull up jetway door codes, nonrev loads, see where you fall in the reserve order, sports scores...

They have FLICA and the ability to drop trips (staffing permitted)

B6 airplanes have printers and window shades...

Just so you understand that there WILL be things you will miss - even if they are little things - when you cross over to the green grass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Twinjetav8r
08-20-2017, 07:15 AM

I hope this is true. I received my CJO from the Houston CP Wednesday and he said they were shooting for October classes. I told him I was available for an earlier class if an opening came up. I said I was even available next week! A couple of guys from my interview group got an email Friday offering a September 19th class. I am hoping that email comes tomorrow.

itsmytime
08-20-2017, 08:05 AM

Got it. That I understand completely.

SkyNation
08-22-2017, 05:37 PM
ummmm......SWA airplanes don't have ACARS printers?

ZapBrannigan
08-22-2017, 06:01 PM

No. They don't.

Burton78
08-22-2017, 06:02 PM

Definitely a show stopper right there. [emoji6]

Warhawg01
08-22-2017, 08:01 PM

I can't figure out why some guys are legitimately irritated at this.

RJSAviator76
08-22-2017, 08:14 PM

You do realize what a PITA it is to tear up the ATIS sheet and hand write the ATIS, don't you? ;)

Frankly, I'm way more irritated that SWA removes the Boeing-installed sunshades... that's something that should evoke the capital punishment...

CA1900
08-22-2017, 08:54 PM
No. They don't.

But the simulator does! Maybe one day? :D

Flaps20
08-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Just to clarify about what we have -

ACARS - Yes (ALL aircraft, even on the 300s)
CPDLC - Yes (NGs/MAX)
Printers - on the 800 ETOPs planes

And I bring my own sunshade, ground use only though ;) too

Cheers

SkyNation
08-24-2017, 09:39 PM

I honestly had no idea. And I'm not picking on anyone, or their plane, but I'd think it irritating to have to write down ATIS, PDC, W&B data, etc. when it seems a totally useful printer could do it for me. Seems archaic is all

RJSAviator76
08-24-2017, 11:48 PM
You only write down the ATIS...

e6bpilot
08-25-2017, 06:55 AM
With our switch to PWB, the missing printer has become a much bigger issue to deal with. I don't have a problem writing down the ATIS although it would be nice to print it in a task loaded situation. The PWB (takeoff and landing data), however, is spread across a dozen screens and is difficult to navigate by paging through them. Printing it would make it much easier.
That being said, since it cuts into the annual stock buyback fund, I doubt they will get them.

flysooner9
08-25-2017, 10:38 AM
Did anyone else get really excited for a split second when they got the email from the "Southwest Support Department" until you realized it was just an advertisement for their job fair?

Kilroy
08-25-2017, 10:54 AM
Did anyone else get really excited for a split second when they got the email from the "Southwest Support Department" until you realized it was just an advertisement for their job fair?

I did. Soooo basically what they are telling people who got the email is you are no good on paper so come to us so we can make fun of you. If you did get the email then you don't fit the bill.

twebb
08-25-2017, 11:59 AM
I didn't receive that email. Maybe it's good for the guys who did get it.

twebb
08-25-2017, 12:04 PM
They heard me, and just sent the email.

flysooner9
08-25-2017, 12:15 PM
Pretty sure it probably was sent to everyone that has an account on pilot credentials.

CRJDriver
08-25-2017, 01:03 PM
No e-mail for me. Not even in Junk folder...:rolleyes:

Twinjetav8r
08-25-2017, 01:19 PM
I got excited every time I got a SW fare alert! Until I got the invite to interview! It was a shock, because I had seen so many other emails.

SS1LE02
08-25-2017, 08:30 PM
So what time does the window actually open on the 30th?

CODs4ever
08-26-2017, 03:39 AM
With our switch to PWB, the missing printer has become a much bigger issue to deal with. I don't have a problem writing down the ATIS although it would be nice to print it in a task loaded situation. The PWB (takeoff and landing data), however, is spread across a dozen screens and is difficult to navigate by paging through them. Printing it would make it much easier.
That being said, since it cuts into the annual stock buyback fund, I doubt they will get them.

When are they gonna remove the metal housing for the OPC and make more leg room for jumpseat #2....or is that wishful thinking?

Sr. Barco
08-26-2017, 09:54 PM
When are they gonna remove the metal housing for the OPC and make more leg room for jumpseat #2....or is that wishful thinking?

This! Also so the seat can recline more and not get hung up on the torn fabric behind the seat causing major contortions to get it unstuck.

flysooner9
08-28-2017, 08:02 PM
so anyone know for sure what time registration opens for the event this week?

Benchwarmer
08-29-2017, 03:14 PM
10am Central

FlewNavy
08-30-2017, 07:04 AM
10am Central

Sold out in 30 seconds.

Bestshooter
08-30-2017, 07:05 AM
In literally seconds it's closed 😫😫😫

TurboDog
08-30-2017, 07:06 AM
Sold out in 30 seconds.

Said unavailable and sold out when I clicked the link 1 second after rolling over the hour. lol.

dbkeydet
08-30-2017, 07:07 AM
Unbelievable!! Refreshed right at 1000, got to the registration page and selected a time and immediately said it was sold out. This was all before the clock on my computer even turned to 1001.

av8or
Sold out in 30 seconds.

Holy smokes! Got two separate "Register" badges on two different devices and were sold out by the time I hit register. Worse than tryin to get into the Wonka factory!

flygirl556
Stupid question. I was able to put in 1 quantity in the drop down menu but I didn't see a button to press to submit. When I refreshed the screen, it said it was sold out. I didn't ever see a submit button so how on earth do you get a ticket!

AboveMins
08-30-2017, 07:09 AM
I hit submit, it froze, and then came back saying sold out.

Crdrvr1
08-30-2017, 07:09 AM
WOW:eek::eek::eek

SS1LE02
08-30-2017, 07:10 AM
Neither of my two of my devices does it show a job fair for September.

Benchwarmer
08-30-2017, 07:11 AM
I clicked on at 10:59:59, not open yet, refreshed and got the which session page, clicked 1 ticket afternoon hit submit and it's sold out. I can't believe they suckered me into this again!

aeroknut
So I sat by my computer and started to refresh 1 min prior to 1000 (just in case my time was different then "theirs". Sure enough just after 1000 my refresh showed up w/ availability in AM AND PM. I clicked AM, and hit register (as I'm thinking to myself...WOW-too good to be true), Sure enough it was too good to be true. When I hit register the event became listed as "sold out", all by 1000:30sec central time.

UGH.....

flygirl556
I clicked on at 10:59:59, not open yet, refreshed and got the which session page, clicked 1 ticket afternoon hit submit and it's sold out. I can't believe they suckered me into this again!

Where was this "submit" button you speak of?

VIIPILOT
08-30-2017, 07:12 AM
BS! :D

Sorry..

Profane Kahuna
08-30-2017, 07:13 AM
Hit the register button, then selected AM, hit submit, SOLD OUT...... all within 5 seconds of 10:00:00

Tikiflight
08-30-2017, 07:14 AM
So 99.9% of us who waited got the same message at 10:00:01. What kind of internet speeds are those of you who actually got spots rocking?

Chris99
08-30-2017, 07:14 AM
Said unavailable and sold out when I clicked the link 1 second after rolling over the hour. lol.

Same here. Wow. How is that even possible?

Benchwarmer
08-30-2017, 07:15 AM
Where was this "submit" button you speak of?

It was at the bottom of which session you want. I clicked 1 ticket hit submit and could hear the laughter at SWA HR dept.

My name is
08-30-2017, 07:16 AM
Same here. Wow.

Same. Better luck next time I guess...

FlewNavy
08-30-2017, 07:17 AM
So 99.9% of us who waited got the same message at 10:00:01. What kind of internet speeds are those of you who actually got spots rocking?

Ludicrous speed!

Tsanford134
08-30-2017, 07:19 AM
Man what a bunch of bull****

TurboDog
08-30-2017, 07:20 AM
Is there anyone here who did secure a ticket?

RedOverWhite
08-30-2017, 07:20 AM
Hit the register button, then selected AM, hit submit, SOLD OUT...... all within 5 seconds of 10:00:00

Got as far as "Checkout" and then the same.

Maybe I need head over to my wife's office for the 11am block and plug into the T1.

verlthepearl
08-30-2017, 07:23 AM
That was a let down.

AboveMins
08-30-2017, 07:31 AM

Out of everybody I know who tried to get one (12 people in total), not one was able to get a ticket.

Squallrider
08-30-2017, 07:33 AM
So begins the hourly dissapointments

AboveMins
08-30-2017, 07:33 AM
So begins the hourly dissapointments

Meh, par for the course in this industry...

Squallrider
08-30-2017, 07:38 AM
Meh, par for the course in this industry...

At least it's not usually hourly dissapontmrnt but more yearly ha

AboveMins
08-30-2017, 07:39 AM
At least it's not usually hourly dissapontmrnt but more yearly ha

Haha... True! :)

GlassBird
08-30-2017, 07:49 AM
Ok ok, I promise im not rubbing this in, just trying to help and clarify. I did get a spot. Had 2 devices going, one device said sold out when i clicked at 10:00 on the second. The other saved me.

Question, for my buddies who didnt get in- are they only giving out 100 tickets per hour? Is there still hope? Or is it truly sold out?

OperatorError
08-30-2017, 07:56 AM
Had 2 devices...my hotel internet didn't get one but wife at home got one. I learned last time to try for the afternoon session as I think the morning session is more sought after.
good luck

hubbs
08-30-2017, 08:05 AM
Just tried for the 1100 window. Got as far as the checkout box and then it came back to say that the tickets were sold out from beneath me.

1200 it is.

Sennant
Got to select a shift on the second round and hit submit. Then endless loading and a message coming back saying my selected time was sold out. Select a different one. UGH

verlthepearl
Another hour, another disappointment

CODs4ever
08-30-2017, 08:06 AM
They gotta come up with a better way to do this. I tried to get in on the April event and had equally poor success. Got the job regardless over the summer so I can't complain too much but I think the company might be missing out on some quality applicants by not pre-screening and having a more measured approach (i.e. slow it down) for the job fair invites. I'm sure some people get in who aren't very competitive other than having a quick internet connection.

AboveMins
08-30-2017, 08:07 AM
My Mexican hotel internet ain't gonna cut it this time around... Congrats to those who got in. Hope you guys make the most of it! :)

Squallrider
08-30-2017, 08:11 AM
Well I feel like if you don't get a ticket chances are next to none of getting a interview, I mean, realistically 400 tickets will probably net them 300 applicants with good score, then add WIA and OBAP and they probably have all they need for the year

flygirl556
08-30-2017, 08:15 AM
Well I feel like if you don't get a ticket chances are next to none of getting a interview, I mean, realistically 400 tickets will probably net them 300 applicants with good score, then add WIA and OBAP and they probably have all they need for the year

With that logic, they're REALLY leaving a lot of great highly qualified candidates on the table. Just because someone has a fast finger and internet connection, doesn't mean they're the best qualified.

AboveMins
08-30-2017, 08:17 AM
With that logic, they're REALLY leaving a lot of great highly qualified candidates on the table. Just because someone has a fast finger and internet connection, doesn't mean they're the best qualified.

Well- their game, their rules, I guess. :(

PotatoChip
08-30-2017, 08:19 AM

Plenty of folks getting interviews without attendance.

Squallrider
08-30-2017, 08:26 AM

Yea I've heard they have ppl with barely CFIs that go. They really should at least make it so you meet the mins

AboveMins
08-30-2017, 08:30 AM
Maybe they'll sift through the chaff after it closes, and take people on the waiting list... One can hope.

flysooner9
08-30-2017, 08:52 AM
Yea I've heard they have ppl with barely CFIs that go. They really should at least make it so you meet the mins

If that is true then its pretty crappy. However you shouldn't have to be "competitive" either. If you meet the posted minimums then you should have a shot.

FlewNavy
08-30-2017, 08:53 AM
Maybe they'll sift through the chaff after it closes, and take people on the waiting list... One can hope.

What waiting list?

AboveMins
08-30-2017, 08:55 AM
What waiting list?

The one they mentioned on the registration page.

HansenT
08-30-2017, 09:03 AM
What a joke. Getting in for registration is a 1 second chance. I gotta keep trying I guess.

4myfamily
08-30-2017, 09:03 AM

I got a ticket at 10:00 when it opened.

flysooner9
08-30-2017, 09:04 AM
has anyone had trouble even getting the page to refresh properly at the top of the hour? When i hit refresh right on the money it'll still say sold out. Not even get the option to try for a slot.

flysooner9
08-30-2017, 09:05 AM
What a joke. Getting in for registration is a 1 second chance. I gotta keep trying I guess.

The hoops we have to jump through just to go to an open house... Sure hope this climate changes in a couple years like the regional industry hiring has.

HansenT
08-30-2017, 09:06 AM
I got to add to cart at 10 and at 12, but then it kicked me out for being sold out

Sennant
08-30-2017, 09:06 AM
has anyone had trouble even getting the page to refresh properly at the top of the hour? When i hit refresh right on the money it'll still say sold out. Not even get the option to try for a slot.

I've gotten the choose a slot last two times. But hitting reserve gets me nowhere. Last hour sat and spun forever before saying timeslot sold out. This hour hitting it just reloaded the page over and over.

flysooner9
08-30-2017, 09:07 AM
I've gotten the choose a slot last two times. But hitting reserve gets me nowhere. Last hour sat and spun forever before saying timeslot sold out. This hour hitting it just reloaded the page over and over.

i got the add to cart screen at 10 but the last two times i haven't even gotten that far.

flysooner9
08-30-2017, 09:08 AM
wonder if well get to see how many people will be on the wait list. Would be a good indication of how many people have been applying.

MNPS 50N50W
08-30-2017, 09:09 AM
Just like ticket master, the get to buy up all the tickets to a good concert. Why? They have the fastest computers. Tried for 3 hours, using 3 different platforms. Phone, iPad, laptop. Pushed the send buttons 10 seconds before the hour. NEVER GO IN.:mad::eek:

Bluesville
08-30-2017, 09:13 AM
Kept refreshing every second at the top of the hour. FINALLY got to choose which ticket I want... then next page I got. SorrySold Out. All In a matter of seconds.
Beyond frustrating.

How about choosing from their Southwest Careers AND Pilot Credentials profiles for their candidates. I'd be a much happier Interviewee and employer if they did instead of this Luck-Of-The-draw career fair day.

TheBlueBaron
08-30-2017, 09:16 AM
Man, if I get a ticket for this thing, I'm immediately going to the gas station for a Powerball ticket. (probly better odds ;))

Ferlofodder
08-30-2017, 09:28 AM
Finally got a ticket! Feel like I won the lotto! Ridiculous process, but stick with it. 13:00 disbursement left to go! Had two laptops, plus wife at work and kept refreshing every few seconds. Got lucky. I have already had a full interview with southwest and want to go and find out if I can get second shot at it!

Bluesville
08-30-2017, 09:37 AM
You did win man!
Go out some Chedda on the ponies.

My name is
08-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Keep at it guys. I finally got one.

AboveMins
08-30-2017, 09:56 AM
Wait list just went live...

Squallrider
08-30-2017, 09:57 AM
Just got to register on the waitlist of that helps lol

Bestshooter
08-30-2017, 09:57 AM
Not even the top of the hour and now the waitlist 😢

miker1
08-30-2017, 10:05 AM
What a bust! Selected 1 ticket and then says unavailable

PilotMechanic
08-30-2017, 10:08 AM
0 for 4 attempts with multiple parties helping out, but got name on waitlist.

WesternSkies
08-30-2017, 10:12 AM
Wifi laptop previous attempts this morning: 17m/s ping 21 download/17 up (Failed on 10, 11 & 12 o'clock openings)

Ethernet different laptop: 26m/s ping, 38 down/21 up (Success on 1 o'clock opening)

Ethernet may be the best leg up you can give yourself if you can remember to pack a cat-5 for the hotel.

AboveMins
08-30-2017, 10:13 AM
Keep the faith, everyone... With 400 slots, I'd imagine maybe about what, 10% won't make it? Hopefully they can also take additional. There's still some hope for us waitlisters to feel the Luv! :)

deltajuliet
08-30-2017, 10:40 AM
Kept refreshing every second at the top of the hour. FINALLY got to choose which ticket I want... then next page I got. SorrySold Out. All In a matter of seconds.
Beyond frustrating.

How about choosing from their Southwest Careers AND Pilot Credentials profiles for their candidates. I'd be a much happier Interviewee and employer if they did instead of this Luck-Of-The-draw career fair day.

Yeah, it's kind of silly when people who don't meet mins apply and go because "it can't hurt," taking up some of the finite availability. You're right that it should be at least partially based on profiles and quals, not just who's lucky enough to hit refresh at the right moment. I'm glad it's in-house, at least...

flysooner9
08-30-2017, 11:35 AM
0 for 4 attempts with multiple parties helping out, but got name on waitlist.

Same for me.

mcartier713
08-30-2017, 12:57 PM
I was one of the lucky ones... tried at 12:00 with no dice, and then secured a spot at 13:00. Google Fiber for the win.

GlassBird
08-30-2017, 04:20 PM
Someone earlier mentioned that this was "pretty informal", but I'm assuming the dress code is still a nice tailored "interview suit". Am I correct? This'll be my first time at one of these things.
(And NO, for the record, I am not one of those "barely has a CFI" guys taking up valuable "finite spots" mentioned earlier! :) )

Peacock
08-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Someone earlier mentioned that this was "pretty informal", but I'm assuming the dress code is still a nice tailored "interview suit". Am I correct? This'll be my first time at one of these things.
(And NO, for the record, I am not one of those "barely has a CFI" guys taking up valuable "finite spots" mentioned earlier! :) )
Suit. In April, they had a presentation to the whole group then they split into three groups for a resume review, tour, and Q&A with a chief pilot.

FML666
08-30-2017, 07:08 PM
Was gonna have to drop a 13 hour 2 day to attend, glad i didn't do so ahead of time.

4myfamily
08-30-2017, 08:30 PM
Was gonna have to drop a 13 hour 2 day to attend, glad i didn't do so ahead of time.

Will someone that attended the April event please give us the scoop for what to expect and how best to prepare for the Sept event? Thank you in advance.

F-90 Driver
08-31-2017, 03:39 PM
Does anyone know if they will be opening the application window again around the time of the job fair?

WarEagle1
08-31-2017, 06:03 PM
Hello 4myfamily, I was lucky enough to be able to attend the in house job fair back in April. I was offered an interview about 5 weeks after the event. I'm now a new hire. If it's anything like the event back in April, yes it was very laid back and friendly, yet very professional. Wear a suit, everyone was in suits and most of the SWA pilots were in their uniforms. The other Southwest employees were dressed business casual and all were very friendly and helpful. Be yourself, smile, be friendly, be genuine. These are the types of people they want to hire. I see way too many pilots placing too much emphasis on, hey I've got 90 gazillion hours, 15 type ratings, no checkride busts, hey man, it doesn't matter. Are you a good person? Are you personable and tolerable to be around and work with? Yes, experience means something, but they want the right fit for their culture and their company. You'll do great! Have fun, be yourself, the job is yours! :)

Will someone that attended the April event please give us the scoop for what to expect and how best to prepare for the Sept event? Thank you in advance.

erjemb
09-01-2017, 05:26 AM
Are there any plans to make more slots for the people on the wait list?

Jefferson
09-17-2017, 03:37 PM
For anyone that has made it to a SWA job fair, can you tell me when the afternoon session was over? I know it is scheduled from 12-4 but did it end early/late or right on time?

Zini
09-17-2017, 10:39 PM
For anyone that has made it to a SWA job fair, can you tell me when the afternoon session was over? I know it is scheduled from 12-4 but did it end early/late or right on time?

It is usually a full 4 hours. Thats also assuming the morning session gets started and out on time. Id "plan" for 430ish just to be safe. You might be one of the last ones doing a 1 on 1 or perhaps strike up a conversation with someone that you dont want to walk away from.

Just my 2 cents

My name is
09-18-2017, 11:43 AM
Does anyone know if there is a place there that will be available for us to put a rollaboard? Didn't know if they had a bag room or not. I'm coming in the night before and I was planning on taking an Uber to the event. So I won't have a rental car to keep my bag in.

Onespeed
09-19-2017, 06:45 AM
My Name Is....Yes, there is a room they will take you to for luggage storage during the day. Safe and secure...

cole
09-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Anyone getting calls/emails for standby list?

GlassBird
09-19-2017, 01:25 PM
Does anyone have any advice on what we should bring to this thing? I know it's "just" a career day and not an interview... but should we bring college transcript, logbooks (surely not?), resumes, etc.? I'm sure we obviously should bring a printed copy of PC application.

Peacock
09-19-2017, 01:34 PM
Does anyone have any advice on what we should bring to this thing? I know it's "just" a career day and not an interview... but should we bring college transcript, logbooks (surely not?), resumes, etc.? I'm sure we obviously should bring a printed copy of PC application.

They'll go through your application with you on the computer. Definitely bring a few resumes.

GlassBird
09-19-2017, 01:38 PM
They'll go through your application with you on the computer. Definitely bring a few resumes.

Sweet, thanks. So don't bring a printed copy of app?

Oh yeah, one more thing... Black tie, red tie, blue tie... does it really matter?

Peacock
09-19-2017, 02:25 PM

Oh yeah, one more thing... Black tie, red tie, blue tie... does it really matter?
When I went in April, it would not have been useful to bring a printed copy of the app or anything else besides resumes. It couldn't hurt though. The suit/tie combo really doesn't matter as long as you don't look like a bag of dicks.

flyguy81
09-19-2017, 02:27 PM

Wear whatever tie you want. I wore a tie with planes on it for my interview and got lots of compliments on it.

GlassBird
09-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Wear whatever tie you want. I wore a tie with planes on it for my interview and got lots of compliments on it.

... But did you get the job??? ;)

Seriously guys, thanks.

flyguy81
09-19-2017, 06:30 PM
... But did you get the job??? ;)

Seriously guys, thanks.

Been here almost 2 years now. Couldn't be happier. Seriously though...wear whatever you want....pin stripes, blue, black, gray, brown. If you're comfortable and look nice I don't think it matters.

SEair
09-20-2017, 08:56 AM

Nothing here.

Binksy
09-21-2017, 06:02 AM
Anyone with a confirmed ticket receive any follow up email(s) with more info?

ASI215
09-21-2017, 08:02 AM

I just made the standby list but I can't make it

RiseGuy
09-21-2017, 04:11 PM
Anyone with a confirmed ticket receive any follow up email(s) with more info?

Just received an email detailing the events with an attachment. I'll be in the afternoon session, see you there!

Hatrick32
09-21-2017, 04:18 PM
I just made the standby list but I can't make it

Was it by email, or by telephone? Has anyone had issues using a Yahoo email account? Ive heard rumors that the system WN uses may have issues with Yahoo email address?

Riverside
09-21-2017, 04:26 PM
Was it by email, or by telephone? Has anyone had issues using a Yahoo email account? Ive heard rumors that the system WN uses may have issues with Yahoo email address?

Who uses yahoo anymore?

4myfamily
09-21-2017, 05:24 PM
Who uses yahoo anymore?

I got an email with details of the event. Apple email

iceraide
09-25-2017, 03:54 PM
I got an email with details of the event. Apple email

Got the details email on the 21st. Using gmail

happygilmore
09-26-2017, 09:29 PM
I was fortunate to receive a call from Southwest on Monday for an invite to the job fair. I'm in the afternoon session. Looking forward to the experience. On the 26th I received an email that requested I apply for the upcoming hiring window Sept 29th to October 2nd. Looking at my icims my status from the last window never changed from "Received Submission" should the status have changed at some point. Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something when I re-apply on the 29th. Thanks for guidance.

Riverside
09-27-2017, 07:34 PM
I was fortunate to receive a call from Southwest on Monday for an invite to the job fair. I'm in the afternoon session. Looking forward to the experience. On the 26th I received an email that requested I apply for the upcoming hiring window Sept 29th to October 2nd. Looking at my icims my status from the last window never changed from "Received Submission" should the status have changed at some point. Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something when I re-apply on the 29th. Thanks for guidance.

Yes, if they are looking at your application it will say resume review. So most likely you didn't make the first round cut.

BlackhawkIP
09-28-2017, 01:21 PM
There has been a lot of posts from folks trying to decipher the coding on SWA ICIMS. Mine currently says "Under Review" for both the March and April job postings. For the August posting, my application hasn't changed from "Received Submission".

I will look forward to seeing what happens in the next round. My availability is 1 November 2017 when I retire.

Best of luck to all!

WesternSkies
09-28-2017, 07:33 PM
If anyone going to the event wants to split a dual-bed hotel room with a stranger, pm me. $50. Sleep Inn by DAL.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5544147/il_570xN.102846695.jpg

MBP192
09-29-2017, 08:04 AM
Hey people!

I was lucky enough to score a ticket to the afternoon session on 9/30. I'm staying at the Embassy Suites if anyone wants to split an uber. Email me if you're interested.

F-90 Driver
09-29-2017, 09:36 AM
If anyone going to the event wants to split a dual-bed hotel room with a stranger, pm me. $50. Sleep Inn by DAL.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5544147/il_570xN.102846695.jpg

I live in Dallas, and it is hard to not pass this one up!!!!

CenterlinePrep
09-29-2017, 10:34 AM

Not one bit

Cold one
09-30-2017, 04:45 AM
Can someone confirm what time the SWA (Sept.30) afternoon session starts..thanks

MBP192
09-30-2017, 07:35 AM
Can someone confirm what time the SWA (Sept.30) afternoon session starts..thanks

It says to be there around 12:30 for a 1 pm start.

ZapBrannigan
09-30-2017, 03:59 PM
Heard someone showed up in his underwear... [emoji51]

happygilmore
09-30-2017, 04:27 PM

Yes, boxers and a blazer. He may get the last laugh.

Riverside
09-30-2017, 04:49 PM

According to Facebook they were murica themed shorts. Gotta love the stars and stripes.

4myfamily
10-01-2017, 01:28 PM
According to Facebook they were murica themed shorts. Gotta love the stars and stripes.

I attended but forgot to ask what is the time frame we should exepect to hear if we are getting an interview. Will someone please enlighten us all?

MrWizard
10-02-2017, 04:16 AM
I attended but forgot to ask what is the time frame we should exepect to hear if we are getting an interview. Will someone please enlighten us all?

Rocky stated at the final morning session for the red team that "November or December" for interviews if selected.

Jefferson
10-02-2017, 05:01 AM

He was in a Jacket/shirt/tie, "interview" shoes, black socks.. and bermuda shorts.

Skyward
10-02-2017, 12:07 PM
He was in a Jacket/shirt/tie, "interview" shoes, black socks.. and bermuda shorts.

Just like the interview group that was referenced in the book "Nuts" I guess :D

Great read and highly recommended for anyone with an upcoming interview.

imr125
10-02-2017, 01:28 PM
Great read and highly recommended for anyone with an upcoming interview.

Informative and entertaining, yes; relative and useful for the interview process, very debatable. This is not the same company as described in 'NUTS.'

Carter1
10-02-2017, 01:56 PM
anyone else status on their application status change to "Resume Review: In Progress"?

Any intel on if this is standard practice from job fair and all attendees are moved to this status? Or does this indicate possible good news?

BlackhawkIP
10-02-2017, 03:37 PM
anyone else status on their application status change to "Resume Review: In Progress"?

Any intel on if this is standard practice from job fair and all attendees are moved to this status? Or does this indicate possible good news?

For both the WIA and the April Expo mine went to "Resume Review: In Progress" within a couple of days after. They both then went to "Under Review" a week or so later; which is where they stand currently.
It's been crickets since but my availability isn't until December.

Best of Luck!

Carter1
10-02-2017, 05:11 PM
thanks! you as well!

For both the WIA and the April Expo mine went to "Resume Review: In Progress" within a couple of days after. They both then went to "Under Review" a week or so later; which is where they stand currently.
It's been crickets since but my availability isn't until December.

Best of Luck!

Twinjetav8r
10-02-2017, 05:53 PM
Informative and entertaining, yes; relative and useful for the interview process, very debatable. This is not the same company as described in 'NUTS.'

Exactly. This is a great company and we Luv to have fun, but it is not the same as when Herb ran it...i.e., wearing shorts to an open house and getting noticed. I feel for the guy, because he probably thought he was doing a funny thing.

OperatorError
10-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Attended Saturday as well (with pants). Mine changed to "Resume Review: In Progress" as well today...who knows. I know that this is the first step to an interview, but as others have indicated, it could stay like this forever. Good luck to all

Skyward
10-02-2017, 07:08 PM

I agree it's not the same company as the Herb years, but it does a good job of telling the Southwest "story". I think knowing the history and culture of any company is good info to take to an interview.

4myfamily
10-02-2017, 08:15 PM
Does anyone that attended job fair have a status that is not resume review in progress? Just trying to figure out different possibilities. Mine is resume review in progress.

MrWizard
10-02-2017, 08:41 PM
Does anyone that attended job fair have a status that is not resume review in progress? Just trying to figure out different possibilities. Mine is resume review in progress.

I attended this past Saturday, in the morning session. Presuming you are talking about the 'status' on the pilotcredentials.com website, my profile does not say 'review in progress'. Yet. Maybe sometime. Before I die. :rolleyes:

All I see right now is "The status of your profile is Active".

F-90 Driver
10-03-2017, 04:03 AM
I attended this past Saturday, in the morning session. Presuming you are talking about the 'status' on the pilotcredentials.com website, my profile does not say 'review in progress'. Yet. Maybe sometime. Before I die. :rolleyes:

All I see right now is "The status of your profile is Active".

Mine is still “Received Submission” unfortunately on iCIMS.

BFMthisA10
10-03-2017, 05:23 AM
...i.e., wearing shorts to an open house and getting noticed. I feel for the guy, because he probably thought he was doing a funny thing.

Was there some indication that this was not well received? Based on the atmosphere Saturday morning, I would have thought that it would have been a safe base-hit. Dude in the AM session had some loud rainbow socks on, and was lauded for them a couple times.

Bestshooter
10-03-2017, 06:37 AM
Hey guys ,
Those of you that are getting the resume under review or something different than submission received can you post your times here, such as total and pic . Trying to find the "magic" number

Sequoia
10-03-2017, 07:00 AM
Mine changed to "resume under review" yesterday morning. Not sure it really means much, because it changed status after OBAP as well. Times are 8300tt, 5400 TPIC. All corporate.

Sequoia
10-03-2017, 07:33 AM
Hey guys ,
Those of you that are getting the resume under review or something different than submission received can you post your times here, such as total and pic . Trying to find the "magic" number

8300tt and 5400 tpic. My status changed to "under review" after OBAP and I never heard anything after. I'm not sure it's really indicative of anything other than someone looked at it.

Happydayz
10-03-2017, 07:40 AM
I attended the Pilot Recruitment and was wondering if anyone got an email yet? Anybody, know when they should come out? Days, weeks, etc....?

Happy

happygilmore
10-03-2017, 12:03 PM
I attended the Saturday event and my status has not changed. It still says "Received Submission" on icims. My status never changed after the last window in August either. Hope I'm not overlooking something.

8000 TT, 3500 TPIC, BS, No failures or violations

Twinjetav8r
10-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Was there some indication that this was not well received?

Yes

OperatorError
10-03-2017, 03:55 PM
Hey guys ,

Afternoon session...went to resume under review yesterday
6500 tt 2800 tpic LCA

Aviatormar
10-03-2017, 05:26 PM
I attended the Saturday event and my status has not changed. It still says "Received Submission" on icims. My status never changed after the last window in August either. Hope I'm not overlooking something.

8000 TT, 3500 TPIC, BS, No failures or violations

What is icims?

MrWizard
10-03-2017, 05:52 PM
What is icims?

'iCIMS' is Southwest's online career database software. https://careers-southwest.icims.com Specifically, for pilot applications it is https://pilots-southwest.icims.com

imbroke
10-03-2017, 06:08 PM
For those of you who attended this event and your ICIMS status still says “Recieved Submission”, are you positve your application was “tagged” at the event? Curious if everyone who was tagged is showing “Resume Review In Progress” now or if there is more to it.

MrWizard
10-03-2017, 07:27 PM
For those of you who attended this event and your ICIMS status still says “Recieved Submission”, are you positve your application was “tagged” at the event? Curious if everyone who was tagged is showing “Resume Review In Progress” now or if there is more to it.

Well, I was told at the first morning breakout computer check-in station that I was 'tagged' and when exiting the lobby at the end of the session and picking up the gift bag, there was a laptop there and some folks were entering data. I asked the Southwest rep if I needed to 'check out' on the computer, and she said 'if you were tagged at the application check station, no need to check out'.

FWIW.

4myfamily
10-03-2017, 08:41 PM
I attended the Pilot Recruitment and was wondering if anyone got an email yet? Anybody, know when they should come out? Days, weeks, etc....?

Happy

I was told 2-6 weeks to get invite forcinterview.

singlepilot
10-04-2017, 02:56 AM
I will add my icims status changed to “resume under review” on Monday 10/2.
I think that would debunk any rumors of the status changing just because you were “tagged” at the event.

TheBridgeKeeper
10-04-2017, 06:15 AM
I will add my icims status changed to “resume under review” on Monday 10/2.
I think that would debunk any rumors of the status changing just because you were “tagged” at the event.

So you didn't go to the event?

happygilmore
10-04-2017, 06:39 AM
Does SWA decide who's icims profile to review based on the score pilotcredentials generates or should every application submitted during the current application window change status from "submission received" at some point. I'm asking because I applied during the August window and my status never changed. I re-applied Sept 29th and attended the job fair and my status still hasn't changed, but appears other with similar qualifications that attended the fair are under review. Thanks.

TheBridgeKeeper
10-04-2017, 07:42 AM
Does SWA decide who's icims profile to review based on the score pilotcredentials generates or should every application submitted during the current application window change status from "submission received" at some point. I'm asking because I applied during the August window and my status never changed. I re-applied Sept 29th and attended the job fair and my status still hasn't changed, but appears other with similar qualifications that attended the fair are under review. Thanks.

FWIW, I also applied during the August window and it went from "Submission Received" to "Closed Complete" after 3 weeks. There was no in between for mine. Not even sure if it was looked at or if the HR Robot auto-kicked it out.

singlepilot
10-04-2017, 08:29 AM
So you didn't go to the event?

Yes I i did attend the job fair.

Zini
10-04-2017, 10:10 AM

Just wait it out. You'll see it change (as long as you are qualified for the position) at some point soon. Sometimes, it happens very quickly so you may not see it change from one thing to another. I've heard of some changing within a week and some over a month. Just let the process run its course.

Good luck

EngineOut
10-04-2017, 10:43 AM
FWIW, I also applied during the August window and it went from "Submission Received" to "Closed Complete" after 3 weeks. There was no in between for mine. Not even sure if it was looked at or if the HR Robot auto-kicked it out.

Mine went from "Closed Complete" (Aug 2 window) after 2 weeks, then "Under review" 9/6 when they sent the invite. So, "Closed Complete" is not necessarily the kiss of death.

TheBridgeKeeper
10-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Mine went from "Closed Complete" (Aug 2 window) after 2 weeks, then "Under review" 9/6 when they sent the invite. So, "Closed Complete" is not necessarily the kiss of death.

I wish I was able to get in to the Job Fair. 8 seconds after the registration opened it was sold out (at least that's the message the screen told me)....every hour... Oh well.

MrWizard
10-04-2017, 01:00 PM
I wish I was able to get in to the Job Fair. 8 seconds after the registration opened it was sold out (at least that's the message the screen told me)....every hour... Oh well.

It was not easy for most to score a ticket. Persistence paid off.

We were congratulated at the event for 'having the fastest internet in the West'. :)

Those of you that are capable, I might suggest you write your own Perl script to do the repetitive button pushing for you, and then alarm you when the software succeeds at getting in.

TheBridgeKeeper
10-04-2017, 02:18 PM
It was not easy for most to score a ticket. Persistence paid off.

We were congratulated at the event for 'having the fastest internet in the West'. :)

Those of you that are capable, I might suggest you write your own Perl script to do the repetitive button pushing for you, and then alarm you when the software succeeds at getting in.

It's crazy that it needs to be this way. Good luck to all who went!

Proximity
10-05-2017, 06:20 AM

Kinda sad that they know about the issue but don't do anything about it. The solution is easy, open the registration for 1-3 days, then have a lottery where slots are issued randomly to only qualified folks.

Carter1
10-05-2017, 07:26 AM
Well that's basically what it is to begin with, a lottery to get a slot.

I think many people on here have the perception that there are a large amount of non qualified people attending and taking up slots. I did not find that to be the case. Most people I met were other former military, other major airline pilots, regional pilots, corporate. I did meet several people from Alaska airlines looking to make the move over which I found to be very odd. Guess things aren't great over there? Kinda sad that they know about the issue but don't do anything about it. The solution is easy, open the registration for 1-3 days, then have a lottery where slots are issued randomly to only qualified folks.

happygilmore
10-05-2017, 08:32 AM
I don't believe it's as random as people think. I would bet they have a filter set and if you don't meet the criteria you will get a sold out response. I was unable to be at my computer the day of and signed up as an alternate several days later. I was called and offered a ticket to the fair. It was a great event, very organized and well planned, and I agree with Carter1. Everyone at the fair was experienced. Just my opinion.

Booker
10-05-2017, 08:50 AM
Just another data point, in case people are still interested: Attended job fair Saturday, still showing "Received Submission" on ICIMS. Profile was "tagged" at the event. Several thousand TT, only a few hundred TPIC. Meet all "preferred" minimums with exception of TPIC.

Doc1010
10-05-2017, 11:17 AM
I don't believe it's as random as people think. I would bet they have a filter set and if you don't meet the criteria you will get a sold out response. I was unable to be at my computer the day of and signed up as an alternate several days later. I was called and offered a ticket to the fair. It was a great event, very organized and well planned, and I agree with Carter1. Everyone at the fair was experienced. Just my opinion.
Great you were able to go - it's an excellent event. I went in September of 2016 and really enjoyed it. No interview from it, though. I meet all of the mins, too. In time...
I, like many, also tried to go to the event in April and September of this year. I had some helpers trying to score a spot for me as I was flying. No luck. I signed up on the wait list as soon as it became available after the last offering was over, but never received the call or email to come as an alternate. I wonder if the wait list was offered on a random basis vs. signup time?

RJSAviator76
10-05-2017, 01:03 PM
I did meet several people from Alaska airlines looking to make the move over which I found to be very odd.

Why? Our first year guys easily make more than their 3rd year FO’s.

Liberty
10-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Attended recent job fair... Status shows "under review"... Just received interview invite via email a few hours ago!

Marko
10-06-2017, 12:06 PM
According to a bud, some folks have interview dates populated in PC today. Check your profiles.

MerlionPilot
10-06-2017, 01:54 PM
According to a bud, some folks have interview dates populated in PC today. Check your profiles.

Where exactly are they seeing the interview dates?

Marko
10-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Where exactly are they seeing the interview dates?I don't know, sorry.

dudemize
10-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Where exactly are they seeing the interview dates?

If selected for interview, there will be two new tabs on the left side. Hiring Information and Hiring Forms. The interview dates are at the top on the Hiring Information tab.

MerlionPilot
10-07-2017, 05:58 AM
If selected for interview, there will be two new tabs on the left side. Hiring Information and Hiring Forms. The interview dates are at the top on the Hiring Information tab.

Great. Thanks

Squallrider
10-08-2017, 06:40 AM
Any ideas on next job fair date?

barabek
10-08-2017, 08:02 AM
Any ideas on next job fair date?

It's not set in stone but you can safely expect April and October each year there is demand...

MerlionPilot
10-09-2017, 02:22 PM
Finally got my notes typed up from the SW Open House on 9/30. Thought I'd post them here for everyone who couldn't attend. Hope you can read them. Enjoy.

9/30 Southwest Airlines Pilot Open House Notes

Alan Kasher – VP Flt Ops

• Have/growing to 9000 pilots
• Just retired classics
o Growing back to 750 planes
• Accomplished in 2017
o New res system
o $250 mil FLL int’l term
o Service to CVG/Turks & Caicos
o Largest training center on Earth- 18 sims/26 capable
o Hire 900 pilots (old record 600)
o New iPad EFB
o New uniforms
o New main’t system
o New perf platform = Aerodata/ACARS
o Max launch Monday
o 4,006 flts in 1 day – summer record
o Next summer 4,300/day
o *Vision* = Be the most loved, flown, profitable airline on planet
 Love = Net promoter score (NPS) = customer perspective
• Have the highest NPS in industry on the planet
 Flown = OND origin/dest
• #2 on planet
 Profit = #2 on planet
o Core values = people / one team all hearts
o Pilots set pace / be problem solvers
o If you’re not growing you’re dying
o Pt + pt system = advantage
o Focus = safety/ customer service/ efficiency
o 50 additional international airports are within current 737 footprint

Dave Retnan - Senior Manager Flt Ops

• NOC = networks ops control
o Put all folks under one roof,
• Shooting for 800 A/C by end of 2018
• Hired 886 pilots in 2017
• 2018 750+ hires
• 4100 flt/day
• 4300 flt/day by summer 2018 – ½ mil pax/day
• Pt – pt: every city is focus city
• LUV market = 50% of all traffic
o SW has 26
o Competitors have 3 or 4
• Sat usually slowest day of week
• Classic 737’s last flt 9/29 – now retired
• Max fly 10/2
• Next to all system managers are CSR’s to make sure customer is always looked out for
• Work to complete flights – not just on time performance
• Crew accommodation contracts – manage hotel contracts, over 200 mil spent on hotels

Cory Petit – Pilot Onboarding

• Professional Pilot Development
o Initial training – how to create SW pilot
o 8 weeks (initial / indoc)
o Class/sim
• Welcome dinner – night before w/spouse – also 1st day of class!
• Fly Day – all culture of company
• 1 yr probation
o 2 mo @ training center – then 100 hr in 120 days
o 4 mo = CP review
 All probation trips = CA will fill out coaching form on you
 CP will review coaching forms
o 6 mo – back to DAL = FO Leadership Day to ask leaders any questions
o 9 mo – CP Review – what to expect on “Off Probation Checkride”
o 11 mo = off prob check
 AQP takes all data and gears thing for that
o LOFT scenario
o 12 mo = off probation = raise!
• 10 yr – Today
o 2300flt/day – 4100flt/day
o 50 additional int’l destinations & 500 planes on same biz plan
• LUV cities = focus cities – not hubs
o Own 26 of top 50 US markets
• Int’l flying approx 3 yr old
• 886 pilots hired in 2017
• By 2021 = 769 aircraft (1000 w/options)
o Approx 10.5-11 pilots/airplane now
o Approx 12 pilots/plane in future
• Red eyes not highly profitable
o Small piece of network

Rocky Calkins – Personnel

• Currently appx 59,000 employees/9000 pilots
o 101 cities
o 9 countries
o 476mil profit sharing last qtr
o 86% LF
o No furloughs / pay cuts anywhere ever
• Want 1000 plane fleet and approx 12,000 pilots
• 2017 – 886 pilots hired
• Pilot Retirements = appx 150/yr until approx 2020, then ramps up
Interview
• ½ day *hiring decision made
• Logbook review – will ask to tab things (show key times)
• Panel review
o Talk about experience
o Panel will ask questions to give good info to CP’s
• Line oriented interview
o 7 min between two city pairs
o Throw problem for you to solve
• CJO is consent for BG – PRIA – Ref Check
• Decision committee - 2 weeks later get a call from CP
• Can defer class one time from decision committee date – up to 90 days
• Ref checks won’t be done until after interview – choose 5 good people who can vouch for you
• Apply to all open windows
• Make sure ICIMS email is same a pilot credentials
• Refresh PC often
• No PBS
• TFP = trip-for-pay
o TFP x 1.14 apprx = hourly pay
• B fund = 13.5 % to retirement w/out contribution
• Don’t do interview prep

dudemize
10-09-2017, 03:25 PM
Good info.

Good luck scoring an interview!

4myfamily
10-09-2017, 06:44 PM
Has anyone’s app status gone past Review in progress?

Ltfirendkiktirs
10-10-2017, 04:54 AM
Has anyone received an invite for an interview from this most recent window?

Sqwk7700
10-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Has anyone received an invite for an interview from this most recent window?

I’ve had three friends get interviews, all went to the last job fair.

Sequoia
10-10-2017, 06:54 PM

OBAP job fair in August or the October internal recruitment event?

Sequoia
10-10-2017, 09:58 PM

Just to clarify, OBAP or the internal recruitment event?

Sequoia
10-11-2017, 06:52 AM

Just to clarify, they were at the internal in DAL or OBAP in MCO?

Sqwk7700
10-11-2017, 08:36 AM
Just to clarify, they were at the internal in DAL or OBAP in MCO?

Swa in-house event in Dallas last month.

Sequoia
10-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Swa in-house event in Dallas last month.

Thanks. That's the first I've heard about interviews being extended from that event.

Alabama2
10-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Thanks. That's the first I've heard about interviews being extended from that event.

Anybody else had their status from the in house job fair change to anything besides "Resume Review In Progress"

Congrats to the ones who received the invites..what were the stats of the people who got them.

Sequoia
10-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Anybody else had their status from the in house job fair change to anything besides "Resume Review In Progress"

Congrats to the ones who received the invites..what were the stats of the people who got them.

Myself and one other that went with me still show "Resume Review In Progress". Not sure if they've sorted the pile already and the opportunity for this window has passed or if there's still hope for an invite.

happygilmore
10-13-2017, 10:35 AM
Is there anyone else that attended the job fair that still has icims status as received submission? Trying to figure out if status should change regardless if your chosen for an interview. During August window my status never changed either.

Booker
10-13-2017, 10:40 AM
Is there anyone else that attended the job fair that still has icims status as received submission? Trying to figure out if status should change regardless if your chosen for an interview. During August window my status never changed either.

Yes, mine still says "Received Submission" following the in-house job fair in September.

aeroknut
10-14-2017, 03:43 AM
Ditto, attended SWA in-house, status "received submission".

ConnectionPilot
10-14-2017, 05:42 AM
For those of you that still say "received submission", did you check in at the computer station?

Booker
10-14-2017, 05:52 AM
For those of you that still say "received submission", did you check in at the computer station?

I did. I was told, "OK, we've got you down."

OnTheRun
10-14-2017, 04:38 PM
I attended the afternoon session on 9/30. My status is 'Received Submission'. Seemed like a positive experience and I felt like they were trying to sell us on coming to work there. Been trying to get a interview for 10 years and may never know the secret. 8000 TT. 7300 PIC and 3200 hours PIC Jet.

MudhammedCJ
10-14-2017, 04:47 PM
I attended the afternoon session on 9/30. My status is 'Received Submission'. Seemed like a positive experience and I felt like they were trying to sell us on coming to work there. Been trying to get a interview for 10 years and may never know the secret. 8000 TT. 7300 PIC and 3200 hours PIC Jet.
You either don't fly very much or had very little time when you first applied 10 years ago. If you are all civilian, you are just getting to the average flight time for an interview based on historic hiring stats. This would be the time to not give up. If you have every other box checked, you should hear something soon.

Ihateusernames
10-14-2017, 05:04 PM

What's the other 4,100 PIC in? That's a lot of PIC time for only 8,000 hrs TT. You never sat in right seat?

OnTheRun
10-14-2017, 05:14 PM
What's the other 4,100 PIC in? That's a lot of PIC time for only 8,000 hrs TT. You never sat in right seat?

Kings Airs, Cessnas, Pipers, Mooneys. You name it I flew it. I always ended up as a PIC in a short time for various reasons. 6000 hours of it is multi engine. Has not helped me get a interview at SWA:)

OnTheRun
10-14-2017, 05:17 PM
You either don't fly very much or had very little time when you first applied 10 years ago. If you are all civilian, you are just getting to the average flight time for an interview based on historic hiring stats. This would be the time to not give up. If you have every other box checked, you should hear something soon.

Thank you MudhammedCJ. Yes, Director Ops, Chief Pilot, Check Airman and no accidents, incidents, warnings etc....I will not give up.

happygilmore
10-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Thank you MudhammedCJ. Yes, Director Ops, Chief Pilot, Check Airman and no accidents, incidents, warnings etc....I will not give up.

I'm right there with you. B.S. degree, 8000 TT, 3500 JPIC, chief pilot, perfect record. Patiently waiting. Status stuck on submission received.

Learflyer
10-15-2017, 03:37 PM
It's been rehashed a bunch in this and other threads, but those of you above not getting the calls have you checked the tiny things in your Pilot Credentials such as updated medical, passport, and date of availability?

OnTheRun
10-16-2017, 04:20 AM
It's been rehashed a bunch in this and other threads, but those of you above not getting the calls have you checked the tiny things in your Pilot Credentials such as updated medical, passport, and date of availability?

When I was at the Job Fair the pilot who sat down with me went through every page in Pilot Credentials and made sure everything thing was up to date and made any suggestions he could think of. Problem is not there but that is a good suggestion.

OnTheRun
10-16-2017, 04:23 AM
I'm right there with you. B.S. degree, 8000 TT, 3500 JPIC, chief pilot, perfect record. Patiently waiting. Status stuck on submission received.

Sounds like we have the same resume:) It is puzzling for sure. A guy I work with submitted his stuff, was not able to go to the Job Fair with half the time, no management or leadership experience. Failed check ride and no type in aircraft. Got the call within weeks and is in training now.

Zini
10-16-2017, 05:43 AM
Sounds like we have the same resume:) It is puzzling for sure. A guy I work with submitted his stuff, was not able to go to the Job Fair with half the time, no management or leadership experience. Failed check ride and no type in aircraft. Got the call within weeks and is in training now.

Here is my thought on this. I was in your same boat. Chief pilot, lots of 135/91 PIC time and was not getting the call. I had every box checked, everything updated and was patiently waiting for years.

I then had a person tell me, its most likely because you're not 121 recent. (I was a regional FO for 6 years about 10 years prior but went 135 after to GET TPIC time.)

I left 135 for a direct entry CA position at a budget regional. I got on the line there and within 6mo got the call to SWA. Im not certain if my transition to 121 again made the job happen, but Im thinking so.

In my class we had 1 corporate guy. 1. Out of 30 guys, 1. So, you are competing with other corporate guys for that 1 or 2 spots every single class. Now, there were about 18 regional guys in my class. So, as a regional person you're really going for about 2/3 of the spots available in any said class. It ups your odds tremendously.

The rest we all know are military here at SWA. So, perhaps thats some insight as to why you specifically arent getting a call, is that youre just up against EVERY other 135/91 guy applying who may be even more qualified than yourself.

Perhaps go 121 any way you can if SWA is your true goal. Update the pilotcredentials and go from there.

Just my 2c

at6d
10-16-2017, 08:51 AM
Two years ago my newhire class had 26. Of that, more than half were military (a handful were military that went regional for recency).

Three or four were from other non-regional 121 carriers.

A couple were corporate with regional time.

The rest were Skywest/Envoy (maybe 6).

All but 6 or 8 had the type.

I wish I knew the magic formula to get passed the computer...

OperatorError
10-16-2017, 09:16 AM
Anyone else's flight times in pilot credentials not add up? I'm showing about 100 hours more on my resume then pilot credentials. Can't pinpoint the problem but it may have something to do with dual received when I didn't hold the private certificate and the multi add on. Driving me nuts!

OnTheRun
10-17-2017, 08:05 AM
Here is my thought on this. I was in your same boat. Chief pilot, lots of 135/91 PIC time and was not getting the call. I had every box checked, everything updated and was patiently waiting for years.

I then had a person tell me, its most likely because you're not 121 recent. (I was a regional FO for 6 years about 10 years prior but went 135 after to GET TPIC time.)

I left 135 for a direct entry CA position at a budget regional. I got on the line there and within 6mo got the call to SWA. Im not certain if my transition to 121 again made the job happen, but Im thinking so.

In my class we had 1 corporate guy. 1. Out of 30 guys, 1. So, you are competing with other corporate guys for that 1 or 2 spots every single class. Now, there were about 18 regional guys in my class. So, as a regional person you're really going for about 2/3 of the spots available in any said class. It ups your odds tremendously.

The rest we all know are military here at SWA. So, perhaps thats some insight as to why you specifically arent getting a call, is that youre just up against EVERY other 135/91 guy applying who may be even more qualified than yourself.

Perhaps go 121 any way you can if SWA is your true goal. Update the pilotcredentials and go from there.

Just my 2c

Thank you for your response. As much as working at SWA sounds good I would not be up to going to the commuters in the hopes that maybe someday I might get a call for a interview. I did not realize they were that heavy on the Part 121 candidates.

Proximity
10-17-2017, 10:16 AM
Without knowing the ratio of corporate/charter pilots to military and airline pilots it's hard to say if there is a bias. Anecdotally, it seems your much more likely to be called by SWA as a corporate pilot then the other airlines. While there are only a handful of corporate/charter pilots in each class, there just aren't that many corporate pilots out there applying to airlines.

That said, if you really want to go 121, I'd go get some time at a 121 operation that has a base where you live.

I'd also get some people to review your app. There are small things that will cause you not to be selected. Make sure every date on the app is correct, and there are no gaps in your work or residence history!

Zini
10-17-2017, 11:00 AM
Thank you for your response. As much as working at SWA sounds good I would not be up to going to the commuters in the hopes that maybe someday I might get a call for a interview. I did not realize they were that heavy on the Part 121 candidates.

Roger that. Keep your credentials updated every week or 2, you never know!

Twinjetav8r
10-17-2017, 12:53 PM
I came out of corporate, as did about 5 other guys in my class.

happygilmore
10-17-2017, 01:41 PM
Unfortunately, with kids in college, taking an enormous pay cut to log 121 time with a regional isn't possible. It would be year three for me to break even at SWA. I would make the sacrifice for SWA, because of the retirement, profit sharing, etc. Puts me between a rock and a hard place if 121 experience is neccesary. Thanks for the insight.

MrWizard
10-17-2017, 03:44 PM
I attended. My experience and background is in line with what they hire. Have not 'got the call' and if it happens, it happens. Life goes on in any case.

But I am curious. Those of you that got invited to an interview: did they populate pilotcredentials.com with the extra tabs of interview documents to complete, and then contacted you via email/phone? Or do they contact you via email/phone first, and then direct you to the documents tabs which are added?

I'm just curious about how the selected candidates here were first notified of making it to the selection to interview, and I'm sure others here would like that information, too.

Proximity
10-17-2017, 08:51 PM
I would make the sacrifice for SWA, because of the retirement, profit sharing, etc.

If you're just going for SWA, I wouldn't leave your job in your situation.

There do call corporate pilots...make sure everything is good in pilot credentials.

Zini
10-18-2017, 09:34 AM
I attended. My experience and background is in line with what they hire. Have not 'got the call' and if it happens, it happens. Life goes on in any case.

But I am curious. Those of you that got invited to an interview: did they populate pilotcredentials.com with the extra tabs of interview documents to complete, and then contacted you via email/phone? Or do they contact you via email/phone first, and then direct you to the documents tabs which are added?

I'm just curious about how the selected candidates here were first notified of making it to the selection to interview, and I'm sure others here would like that information, too.

You are contacted via email, and are then directed to check pilotcredentials for further information (choosing interview date/time etc)

NikeBuddy
10-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Latest seniority list just topped 9,000 pilots. Will have over 10,000 by the end of next year. Pretty wild.

Ihateusernames
10-18-2017, 02:54 PM
Was told by a person in the know today there are about 8,300 applications on file. He also said about 70% (if I remember correctly) of those who go to job fair thing will get interviewed. Gary told chief pilots at a meeting today that we could have around 12,000 pilots over next 5 years (or some time like that). Just hit 9000 pilots this week. Fwiw

RJSAviator76
10-18-2017, 03:17 PM
Accounting for age 65 retirements and using 12,000 pilots as a benchmark, that works out to hiring approximately 720 pilots per year.

at6d
10-18-2017, 03:35 PM
Which is on par with everything they've said regarding hiring numbers the last two years.

Proximity
10-18-2017, 05:52 PM
Based on those numbers, pilots hired in the front of the wave, 2014-2016 could be looking at 6-7 year upgrade, maybe even quicker for those hired later.

Then around 2022 the retirements pick up. Those getting on now are really in a good spot if the rumors hold.

ZapBrannigan
10-19-2017, 12:03 AM
Based on those numbers, pilots hired in the front of the wave, 2014-2016 could be looking at 6-7 year upgrade, maybe even quicker for those hired later.

Then around 2022 the retirements pick up. Those getting on now are really in a good spot if the rumors hold.

How do you figure? I was a 2014. If I go into myseniority.com and “artificially” adjust the growth percentage to yield a 12,000 pilot group, it shows me hitting 56% on the seniority list around mid 2023. That’s 9-10 years. If the group is only 10,000 or 11,000 pilots it’s significantly longer.

RJSAviator76
10-19-2017, 04:01 AM
How do you figure? I was a 2014. If I go into myseniority.com and “artificially” adjust the growth percentage to yield a 12,000 pilot group, it shows me hitting 56% on the seniority list around mid 2023. That’s 9-10 years. If the group is only 10,000 or 11,000 pilots it’s significantly longer.

The plug captains are around 61% on seniority list. 56% implies you’re bypassing.

I use 60% as a gauge for the earliest upgrade.

Proximity
10-19-2017, 05:29 AM

I'm doing my math on a napkin. Most junior captain today, 60-61%. Jan 16 hire is around 77xx. Retirements between now and Dec 2022, 620. If the list is 12,000 pilots by 2022, that puts that pilot just under 60% in 7 years. That's without any medical outs, attrition, or early retirements. Also, hiring forecasts here are notoriously conservative since I've been here.

Looking at 2014, unfortunately the big hiring didn't start until 2016+ onwards, so they went though 1-2 years of slow growth before things took off. For Zap and their cohort, their first opportunity to upgrade will come just before the 2016s hires, who will have been on property for two less years. That's not as bad as being the first pilot on the list after the merger thou, they had the worst luck.

Also, as we all know, anything could happen between now and 2022. I just have to go by the 12,000 by 2022 which I've heard many times now.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1