Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Comute to BWI from PIT?

docf15
08-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Anyone have an experience with how difficult the commute is from PIT to BWI?

GatorHog
08-12-2017, 05:56 PM
A search of Aug & Sep on Google Flights shows Southwest has 3 non-stop flights a day 6 days a week, with 1 non-stop the remaining day. Other than Southwest it looks like you'd probably have to make a connection. Guys who have actually made the commute will have to chime in with how much competition there is for a seat.

ZapBrannigan
08-12-2017, 06:20 PM
Lots of former USAir folks working here and still living in the Burgh. Wouldn't be surprise if there was a lot of competition for the jumpseat out of PIT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Citrus Fruit
08-12-2017, 08:46 PM
It seems we have quite a few guys in MDW that commute from PIT. Not sure why they chose MDW over BWI unless it's better seniority and flight choice. Never thought to ask.

ShyGuy
08-12-2017, 08:54 PM
~250 miles? Why not drive it. Probably take just as long as driving to PIT, parking the car, going through security, 1 hr prior to flight, 1 hr flight itself.

I lived in western PA and commuted to DTW for a while out of PIT. I would end up going to PIT and taking a DL flight to DTW. But many times it seemed driving would have taken less time door to door, and without the hassle/worry of missing a flight/jumpseat.

SlipKid
08-13-2017, 07:44 AM
~250 miles? Why not drive it. Probably take just as long as driving to PIT, parking the car, going through security, 1 hr prior to flight, 1 hr flight itself.

I lived in western PA and commuted to DTW for a while out of PIT. I would end up going to PIT and taking a DL flight to DTW. But many times it seemed driving would have taken less time door to door, and without the hassle/worry of missing a flight/jumpseat.

He could plan on flying, but fall back on driving in the event you can't get home. I have a long drive commute, and when we had flights between my base and home city, I basically used the car as a backup.

The last few years we had the flights, they cut the late one home, so I couldn't commute both ways without incurring a hotel on the last day, so I'd fly to work, and rent cars to come home, depending on how late I got done.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1