Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : New guy with some questions.

FU509
08-24-2017, 06:20 PM
Hello, been part 91 corporate for the last 12 years. Looking to make the move to the 121 world. I've read all the threads here on allegiant back a few years. Had a few questions about bases.

1. How senior or junior are the west coast bases?
2. BLI? Couldn't find any information on BLI in the other threads.
3. Upgrade time different for all basis?
4. How many days a month away from home at hotels? After reading the other threads seems very few if any at all.

Thank you very much for any info.

FreshWater
08-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Hello, been part 91 corporate for the last 12 years. Looking to make the move to the 121 world. I've read all the threads here on allegiant back a few years. Had a few questions about bases.

1. How senior or junior are the west coast bases?
2. BLI? Couldn't find any information on BLI in the other threads.
3. Upgrade time different for all basis?
4. How many days a month away from home at hotels? After reading the other threads seems very few if any at all.

Thank you very much for any info.

1-West coast bases are generally more senior than east. Lax and Oak are very junior on the west coast for obvious reasons. Nobody wants to commute to either of these bases, mainly stocked with diehard locals. Waiting list for iwa running about a year or so for new hires, someone else can chime in on that one.

2-BLI is a small and senior base.

3-Yes, varies. East coast is much quicker for upgrades.

4-Day trips are the norm. No overnights unless irregular ops. Starting to experiment with a very limited semi-transcon overnights out of cvg, I think. Day trips will be the back bone of the schedules for the duration of the current business model. So come here if you would like to not cheat on the wife. Otherwise go get some Luv.

skydisaster
08-24-2017, 07:41 PM
1-West coast bases are generally more senior than east. Lax and Oak are very junior on the west coast for obvious reasons. Nobody wants to commute to either of these bases, mainly stocked with diehard locals. Waiting list for iwa running about a year or so for new hires, someone else can chime in on that one.

2-BLI is a small and senior base.

3-Yes, varies. East coast is much quicker for upgrades.

4-Day trips are the norm. No overnights unless irregular ops. Starting to experiment with a very limited semi-transcon overnights out of cvg, I think. Day trips will be the back bone of the schedules for the duration of the current business model. So come here if you would like to not cheat on the wife. Otherwise go get some Luv.

LAX and OAK seem to alternate for which one is most junior on the West Coast. LAS will be available on the Bus for any new hires going forward. It is going very junior in the FO side for now because half the MD80 FO list is equipment locked. That means you could probably get LAS fairly quickly, but you would be perms junior there as guys transition from the 80 over to the Bus.

BLI is super senior on the Captain side and the top of the FO side, but the bottom couple of FO slots there go pretty junior. IWA was up to about 18 months to get there. With the recent growth, that has come down to just under a year, but if there isn't anymore growth soon, it will go right back up again. By the time, you are off reserve in IWA FO, you can almost hold Captain in OAK.

FU509
08-25-2017, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the info. On arevage how many days a month is everyone flying?

ecam
08-25-2017, 06:09 AM
LAX is junior for FOs, but senior for CAs. OAK is generally the most junior for CAs and FOs. BLI, as said, the bottom 2 FOs are revolving door and upgrade is the retirement rate, the CAs don't leave. They covered LAS pretty well. IWA is slated for big growth, so will become more junior, but it's still pretty senior for both seats right now. PIT, CVG, and probably IND too are 50-50, half very senior, half very junior. PIT is the most junior of the two for now. CVG has a lot of locals who aren't going anywhere, so it's getting more senior. AVL has gotten more junior, probably on par with CVG. SFB has the same issue as LAS where 80 pilots are senior but seat locked, and will keep bumping junior Bus people back as they transition. PIE is a little less senior than IWA, but still about a year to hold a line. FLL tends to be a transient base, so it changes lot, but generally more senior than PGD. PGD will stay junior because no one wants to live there if they're under 60, and it's also slated for big growth.

CURRENTLY, upgrade is running a year on the 80 for any base. OAK is about 1.5, PGD, PIT, FLL about 1.5-2. The other AB bases 3+. IWA and LAX probably around 5. LAS is a moving target during transition, but so far is super senior for CAs and super junior for FOs. BLI will be forever to upgrade.

Reserves get 12 days off except for I think 3 months a year when you get 10. Line holders generally get 14+ days off, and it's easy to get 16+ if you bid high credit trips. We don't really have the isolated days off as much on the AB. I think the 80 still does, especially in LAS.

skydisaster
08-25-2017, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the info. On arevage how many days a month is everyone flying?

That is very base, aircraft, and seniority dependent. Somewhere between 10 and 20 days a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecam
08-25-2017, 06:24 AM
Another thought: Because of the fact that most of our bases are isolated, and few people commute, many (not all) FOs will just wait until they can upgrade in their own base instead of moving or commuting with a crash pad. So the bases where most of the people actually live (BLI, LAS, IWA, AVL, CVG, PIE, SFB) will stay senior for both upgrade and hard line holders.

FU509
08-25-2017, 10:02 AM
Thanks for all the great info. I appreciate the positive responses. Any other info for someone looking to work here would be greatly appreciated.

tom11011
08-25-2017, 04:59 PM
LAX is junior for FOs, but senior for CAs. OAK is generally the most junior for CAs and FOs. BLI, as said, the bottom 2 FOs are revolving door and upgrade is the retirement rate, the CAs don't leave. They covered LAS pretty well. IWA is slated for big growth, so will become more junior, but it's still pretty senior for both seats right now. PIT, CVG, and probably IND too are 50-50, half very senior, half very junior. PIT is the most junior of the two for now. CVG has a lot of locals who aren't going anywhere, so it's getting more senior. AVL has gotten more junior, probably on par with CVG. SFB has the same issue as LAS where 80 pilots are senior but seat locked, and will keep bumping junior Bus people back as they transition. PIE is a little less senior than IWA, but still about a year to hold a line. FLL tends to be a transient base, so it changes lot, but generally more senior than PGD. PGD will stay junior because no one wants to live there if they're under 60, and it's also slated for big growth.

CURRENTLY, upgrade is running a year on the 80 for any base. OAK is about 1.5, PGD, PIT, FLL about 1.5-2. The other AB bases 3+. IWA and LAX probably around 5. LAS is a moving target during transition, but so far is super senior for CAs and super junior for FOs. BLI will be forever to upgrade.

Reserves get 12 days off except for I think 3 months a year when you get 10. Line holders generally get 14+ days off, and it's easy to get 16+ if you bid high credit trips. We don't really have the isolated days off as much on the AB. I think the 80 still does, especially in LAS.

Excellent overview. I would add that SFB Airbus Capt is much more senior than PIE Airbus Capt.

Timmer
08-28-2017, 04:49 PM
How many hours do most lines credit in a month?

FU509
08-28-2017, 06:56 PM
Thanks again for all the great info. Got an email today from allegiant. Thank you but no thank you. Guess I'll try applying again in the future.

ecam
08-28-2017, 10:07 PM
How many hours do most lines credit in a month?

It varies greatly between base, month, and seat, so that's hard to answer. Summer and spring break are crazy busy. In my experience (and some will disagree), you can usually fly as much or as little as you want as a line holder most of the year if you bid right. What I can tell you is that line/composite guarantee is 70 PCH and reserve is 72. Reserves don't fly much here. It's usually pretty easy to pick up or drop trips as a line holder. YMMV. As a side note, our PBS system is a joke. It's an in house program with a terrible GUI and no accountability. May as well throw a dart at the wall. Allegedly we are getting a new system which always seems to be right around the corner according to the union.

Timmer
08-29-2017, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the info!

Captainbfv
08-29-2017, 11:24 AM
It varies greatly between base, month, and seat, so that's hard to answer. Summer and spring break are crazy busy. In my experience (and some will disagree), you can usually fly as much or as little as you want as a line holder most of the year if you bid right. What I can tell you is that line/composite guarantee is 70 PCH and reserve is 72. Reserves don't fly much here. It's usually pretty easy to pick up or drop trips as a line holder. YMMV. As a side note, our PBS system is a joke. It's an in house program with a terrible GUI and no accountability. May as well throw a dart at the wall. Allegedly we are getting a new system which always seems to be right around the corner according to the union.

Correction. Reserves don't fly much here unless you're MD80 Sanford. LAS reserves fly a good amount too. But in SFB you'll wish you were dead by the end of the month [emoji23]

ecam
08-29-2017, 11:34 AM
Correction. Reserves don't fly much here unless you're MD80 Sanford. LAS reserves fly a good amount too. But in SFB you'll wish you were dead by the end of the month [emoji23]

Duly noted. Adding to that, I'm told AB reserve in FL sucks too because all you do is Larry Limo from base to base, you're on reserve for the whole state.

Reserve at this company blows worse than other airlines. But it doesn't last long. Line holder here is a dream job.

Captainbfv
08-29-2017, 11:39 AM
Duly noted. Adding to that, I'm told AB reserve in FL sucks too because all you do is Larry Limo from base to base, you're on reserve for the whole state.

Reserve at this company blows worse than other airlines. But it doesn't last long. Line holder here is a dream job.

Larry Limo. Ugh. Just saying makes me want to hang my self

KC135
08-29-2017, 04:22 PM

I disagree. Reserve in FL on the AB is amazing, you're almost always back home the same day when they actually do call you 3-5 days out of the month. At other airlines a call usually means to pack for at least 4 days. I would sit permanent reserve forever here if there wasn't more money to be made flying a line.

CAirBear
08-29-2017, 04:24 PM
I disagree. Reserve is FL on the AB is amazing, you're almost always back home the same day when they actually do call you 3-5 days out of the month. At other airlines a call usually means to pack for at least 4 days. I would sit permanent reserve forever here if there wasn't more money to be made flying a line.

Ditto. Tomorrow is the 30th. I have no flown a single day yet this month. SFB Bus FO on Reserve. Only Larry Limod 2 times and that was last month.

HansenT
08-30-2017, 05:54 AM
Good information in this thread. Glad everyone is so helpful.

Jefferson
09-01-2017, 09:26 AM
How senior is AVL?
FLL?
BLI?

Thanks in advance.

RodimusPrime
09-01-2017, 03:42 PM
Anyone on here living in AVL now? I'm looking at moving to AVL in a few months. I've never even visited but am moving myself and my family out there. Anyone have any contacts for finding a place to rent or buy? How are the schools? Public vs Charters vs Private? Live in city or surrounding areas or near the airport? Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

ecam
09-01-2017, 04:47 PM
How senior is AVL?
FLL?
BLI?

Thanks in advance.

Moderately
Slightly
Extremely

j3cub
09-02-2017, 05:06 AM
Anyone on here living in AVL now? I'm looking at moving to AVL in a few months. I've never even visited but am moving myself and my family out there. Anyone have any contacts for finding a place to rent or buy? How are the schools? Public vs Charters vs Private? Live in city or surrounding areas or near the airport? Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Check PM.............

FU509
09-02-2017, 08:47 AM
I got the thank you but no thank you email earlier this week. Would going to the job fare in a few weeks help my chances next time I Apply?

CAirBear
09-02-2017, 06:58 PM
I got the thank you but no thank you email earlier this week. Would going to the job fare in a few weeks help my chances next time I Apply?

You could very well get an interview after a face to face at the job fair. Not certain, but there is a high probability you received this TBNT by the computer, in error, or at the least without any human insight.

FU509
09-02-2017, 08:05 PM
You could very well get an interview after a face to face at the job fair. Not certain, but there is a high probability you received this TBNT by the computer, in error, or at the least without any human insight.

Ok. Thanks.

Betasound
09-03-2017, 07:52 AM
So I received the video interview email, which I'll complete in a few days. I live in Pittsburgh and all I've ever wanted to (really) is fly for a living out of Pittsburgh. I mean, that's all any of us really want is to live where we fly from. Anyway, I didn't think I'd get that option in 121 until I received this email (unless I went to Republic).

I've been at my regional for 4 years and thanks to rapid growth, I'm fairly senior as a Captain. Allegiant has had some bad PR and rough spots in the recent past. So has my regional, but everyone just blames the mainline written on our side!

I'd be lying to say Allegiant was my first choice, but it's because I never thought I'd have the opportunity! My question is about base stability and Pittsburgh obviously. Mainly, will Pittsburgh be here for the foreseeable future? What would be the chance of getting PIT out of training, should all the stars align for me and I'm offered the job? CVG or the FL bases would be my next choice, could I get back to PIT in a few months?

I know no one has a crystal ball and I know how this industry goes. Looking for some input (and I'm in the process of reading the old threads here). Seems like a decent opportunity to "live me dream"

Thank you!

ecam
09-03-2017, 07:58 AM

If you meet the published minimums, reapply. No need to wait 6 months.

sdsaab
09-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Any IWA FO's on here that would be willing to chat? I'm looking at Allegiant. Give me a PM if you have the time. Thanks!

HansenT
09-05-2017, 08:16 AM
So I received the video interview email, which I'll complete in a few days. !

How long did this take to receive from application submission? I'm sitting in "being reviewed" status and just curious.

N1sync
09-06-2017, 09:37 PM
So I received the video interview email, which I'll complete in a few days. I live in Pittsburgh and all I've ever wanted to (really) is fly for a living out of Pittsburgh. I mean, that's all any of us really want is to live where we fly from. Anyway, I didn't think I'd get that option in 121 until I received this email (unless I went to Republic).

I've been at my regional for 4 years and thanks to rapid growth, I'm fairly senior as a Captain. Allegiant has had some bad PR and rough spots in the recent past. So has my regional, but everyone just blames the mainline written on our side!

I'd be lying to say Allegiant was my first choice, but it's because I never thought I'd have the opportunity! My question is about base stability and Pittsburgh obviously. Mainly, will Pittsburgh be here for the foreseeable future? What would be the chance of getting PIT out of training, should all the stars align for me and I'm offered the job? CVG or the FL bases would be my next choice, could I get back to PIT in a few months?

I know no one has a crystal ball and I know how this industry goes. Looking for some input (and I'm in the process of reading the old threads here). Seems like a decent opportunity to "live me dream"

Thank you!

You'll get PIT within 6 months if not straight outta training. Our current contract with Apple Vacations runs until 2019 but rumor is that we start selling those seats ourselves and hold a few back for Apple. I'd says it's a decently stable base and the company will probably explore other destinations besides those currently served even if Apple pulls the plug.

The company has a lot of bases and has closed a few over the years, biggest would be HNL, GRR, LAX (before they reopened it), FAT, RNO, ENV, IFP, TUP, and I might've missed one. In hindsight the reason for most of the closures was pretty clear however, I think most will agree there doesn't appear to be a good reason for us to close PIT anytime soon.

Captainbfv
09-12-2017, 09:39 AM
How senior is AVL?

FLL?

BLI?

Thanks in advance.

Do a search. Not trying to be an A-hole but literally exact same question gets asked like every 6 days. Literally

ecam
09-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Do a search. Not trying to be an A-hole but literally exact same question gets asked like every 6 days. Literally

They ask about as often as you shout at them. Quit telling everyone to get off your lawn Gramps. It's over 400 pages, and information is subject to change constantly. For example, 3 months ago AVL was very senior, but now new hires are getting it.

Guys, unless you question is so obvious it hurts, feel free to ask. Worst you'll get from me is sarcasm.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1