Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

G4IND
08-26-2017, 01:31 PM
Hearing SJC/SMF will get more routes, anything else we should expect?

PropPiedmont
08-26-2017, 01:39 PM
Lots of HI routes.

G4IND
08-26-2017, 02:48 PM
Lots of HI routes.

Wasn't HI not planned until 2019 due to ETOPS certification?

e6bpilot
08-26-2017, 05:41 PM
Lately they have been floating 2018. During an investor call, they mentioned Hawaii specifically but didn't pin an exact time down. Allegedly there is going to be an announcement Monday, but I am not holding my breath for Hawaii yet. More than likely just more Mexico service.
The latest rumors:
during new hire training last week when the finance people came in and did their spiel, they mentioned that there is an announcement Monday that is going to send shockwaves through a west coast carrier that flies 737s (whatever the f that means, I am guessing Alaska).
Maintenance folks on the west coast have been awarded etops certifications.
Our spirit party is on the west coast (at Universal in LA) this year. Possible announcement of Hawaii service and LA crew base.
A pilot who had to sign a NDA said that he wouldn't be surprised if they announced it Monday.
Ok, back to being cynical and jaded. More than likely just a new stupid state flag paint scheme announcement.

GrassLandings
08-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Rumor for Sun Country is a buyout is coming. Maybe from Alaska, SWA or Allegiant. Source was an investor meeting of another airline a month or so ago saying scx would be for sale at the end of Aug.
They already do alot of mexico out of MSP, fly only 737's, and also reportedly would allow Alaska to help expand east if acquired.

Any possible correlation?

Smooth at FL450
08-27-2017, 05:29 AM
I asked one of our OAK mechanics about the ETOPS awards yesterday, he said 8 each going to SMF and SJC and then 20 (or may have been 24) going to SAN. His guess was this would be in early 2018 but wasn't sure of the timeline.

SMF's twitter page is also giddy about a Monday announcement of new routes...

G4IND
08-27-2017, 07:32 AM
Did anyone hear any other rumors about domestic/Hawaiian adds? I have heard FLL-west coast, LAX-SEA, anything else I am missing?

Sr. Barco
08-27-2017, 09:50 AM
Did anyone hear any other rumors about domestic/Hawaiian adds? I have heard FLL-west coast, LAX-SEA, anything else I am missing?

I heard there will be a redeye SAN-TPA. Kind of random. I can't find it on Southwest.com but nevertheless I've heard SAN ground ops is being staffed 24 hours now to support redeye flights.

G4IND
08-27-2017, 10:21 AM
I heard there will be a redeye SAN-TPA. Kind of random. I can't find it on Southwest.com but nevertheless I've heard SAN ground ops is being staffed 24 hours now to support redeye flights.

San Diego gets its sole nonstop to Tampa - The San Diego Union-Tribune (http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/tourism/sd-fi-tampa-nonstop-20170621-story.html)

SAN-TPA was announced in June, are you saying it might go 2x daily?

Sr. Barco
08-27-2017, 10:47 AM
San Diego gets its sole nonstop to Tampa - The San Diego Union-Tribune (http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/tourism/sd-fi-tampa-nonstop-20170621-story.html)

SAN-TPA was announced in June, are you saying it might go 2x daily?

All I heard was there was going to be a redeye on this route. I don't follow this stuff closely so maybe that's old news.

G4IND
08-27-2017, 12:09 PM
All I heard was there was going to be a redeye on this route. I don't follow this stuff closely so maybe that's old news.

Idk you may be right, wouldn't surprise me if they moved the flight to a red-eye in order to allow for other new routes...

e6bpilot
08-27-2017, 12:17 PM
Doesn't SAN have some sort of departure curfew?

Sr. Barco
08-27-2017, 12:29 PM
Doesn't SAN have some sort of departure curfew?

Yes. No departures between 2330 and 0630 local.

Woodbourne23
08-27-2017, 05:55 PM
Red eyes won't be ready till 2019 due to woeful technology. I am hearing whispers of a Hawaiian airlines purchase by WN. I'm guessing we will announce Hawaii service tomorrow, barring the HOU mess

G4IND
08-28-2017, 02:51 AM
Dozens of new domestic routes, including a lot from SJC/SMF. Interesting to see how AS reacts...

e6bpilot
08-28-2017, 08:38 AM
Yawn. Exactly what we have come to expect with these announcements.
More Bay Area flights competing head to head with Skylaska.

Burton78
08-28-2017, 10:04 AM
Yawn. Exactly what we have come to expect with these announcements.
More Bay Area flights competing head to head with Skylaska.

Well, to be fair there was no real announcement touted by SWA. Just speculation from a Facebook post about someone's friend in a new hire class that heard Yada Yada, so naturally, rumors ran amuck. And we wonder why they never tell us anything. Loud mouths are in abundance in the pilot ranks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokey23
08-28-2017, 10:59 AM
I've said it many times before, but it still applies: The REALLY big announcements from this company always come out of left field and catch us all flat-footed.

P.S. ...and they NEVER happen at Spirit Parties or Rallys!

full of luv
08-28-2017, 01:43 PM
Well, to be fair there was no real announcement touted by SWA. Just speculation from a Facebook post about someone's friend in a new hire class that heard Yada Yada, so naturally, rumors ran amuck. And we wonder why they never tell us anything. Loud mouths are in abundance in the pilot ranks.

Is SWA trying to start new flights in-cognito? Are they using the storm as cover as they add flying to SMF?

full of luv
08-28-2017, 01:44 PM

Are you implying that SWA is trying to start new flights in-cognito? Are they using the storm as cover as they add flying to SMF?

Burton78
08-28-2017, 02:43 PM
Are you implying that SWA is trying to start new flights in-cognito? Are they using the storm as cover as they add flying to SMF?

Huh? I wasn't implying anything about in-cognito routes and the plans for the SMF flying where probably set in stone well before Harvey was even named, so I have no idea what you mean in regards to a "cover". There was just a normal planned schedule extension that happens every couple months (just like at every airline, I'd imagine) where flights are put out for sale where some routes are added, discontinued, added seasonally etc. Basically, what started from a single Facebook post on a page for Southwest pilots, blew up into some people jumping to the conclusion that some big announcement was imminent. All I guess I may have been implying is that it's no surprise that the company doesn't show their hand to us pilots (or just about anyone not in the need to know for that matter) as to the exact details of our long and short term plans as it would no doubt be plastered all over the internet for all our competitors to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iahflyr
08-28-2017, 04:21 PM
Here is a copy of the press release. Lots of new routes!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/southwest-airlines-adds-flights-throughout-173000755.html?.tsrc=applewf

gipple
08-29-2017, 11:32 AM
I've said it many times before, but it still applies: The REALLY big announcements from this company always come out of left field and catch us all flat-footed.

P.S. ...and they NEVER happen at Spirit Parties or Rallys!

Bingo!
In my 20 years, the biggest announcement was unscheduled and involved acquiring another airline.
The happy hoohaw **** that comes from Dallas is never pertinent to line flying.

i fly planes
09-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Rumor for Sun Country is a buyout is coming. Maybe from Alaska, SWA or Allegiant. Source was an investor meeting of another airline a month or so ago saying scx would be for sale at the end of Aug.
They already do alot of mexico out of MSP, fly only 737's, and also reportedly would allow Alaska to help expand east if acquired.

Any possible correlation?

Would they acquire Sun Country simply for the purpose of expediting ETOPS? New Sun Country CEO has mentioned Hawaii out of Cali next year and is getting rid of the -700s.

e6bpilot
09-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Would they acquire Sun Country simply for the purpose of expediting ETOPS? New Sun Country CEO has mentioned Hawaii out of Cali next year and is getting rid of the -700s.

SWA was all set to do etops flying. We had the planes and maintenance certified, had a training program approved for the pilots, and then things suddenly changed.
Like everything done here, it was done on the cheap and rather than taking an already proven program from another airline, we treated it like we were landing on the moon and re-engineered it Texas style. Rather than tapping into the expertise of the many pilots here who have flown across vast oceans, they deferred to the F-teeners who made up the project pilot Force at the time.
I have a feeling that version 2.0 will be much different. The new pilot contract has an etops subset and it will be done by base and not by trying to train 9,000 pilots at once. The training center has also taken a turn for the better and seems more interested in trying to put out quality training rather than the cheapest possible product.

ANGFlight81
09-08-2017, 01:43 AM
SWA was all set to do etops flying. We had the planes and maintenance certified, had a training program approved for the pilots, and then things suddenly changed.
Like everything done here, it was done on the cheap and rather than taking an already proven program from another airline, we treated it like we were landing on the moon and re-engineered it Texas style. Rather than tapping into the expertise of the many pilots here who have flown across vast oceans, they deferred to the F-teeners who made up the project pilot Force at the time.
I have a feeling that version 2.0 will be much different. The new pilot contract has an etops subset and it will be done by base and not by trying to train 9,000 pilots at once. The training center has also taken a turn for the better and seems more interested in trying to put out quality training rather than the cheapest possible product.

You just completely nailed it!
Awesome post 😃

saab2000
09-08-2017, 08:41 AM

Doubtful but I doubt they would do it for the ETOPS in any case. They still have to train thousands of pilots for it eventually. Even at Sun Country (where I spent a year) the vast majority of the ETOPS flying is done by just a small subset of the crews even though all are trained in it.

I've heard the leases at SY aren't very favorable and the integration of even the small pilot group would be thorny.

The biggest reason to acquire Sunny would be to take control of the Terminal 2 at MSP and I've heard Southwest doesn't really want to start a war with Delta in either MSP or Atlanta. It would be a fight nobody would win and both sides would lose.

Let things go the way they will with Sun Country but I don't really see Southwest acquiring them even though they have some ETOPS experience.

Southwest could hire ETOPS experts as consultants into the training dept. and have this done with Boeing's assistance very quickly. As mentioned, there are tons of pilots here at Southwest with oceanic experience in previous careers.

RJSAviator76
09-08-2017, 11:07 PM
I have it on good authority that we can't do Hawaii yet due to our inability to brief the said flight within a FAR 117 flight duty period... hence the delay.

e6bpilot
09-09-2017, 04:22 AM
I have it on good authority that we can't do Hawaii yet due to our inability to brief the said flight within a FAR 117 flight duty period... hence the delay.

Ha ha. But seriously. That probably will be a problem with some guys who want to do a full weapons school grad brief to include time hacks and a brief history lesson on why we fly to Hawaii.

WHACKMASTER
09-09-2017, 07:04 AM

You mean doing a turn and not overnighting, right?

e6bpilot
09-09-2017, 07:10 AM
You mean doing a turn and not overnighting, right?

It was a joke.

RJSAviator76
09-09-2017, 08:23 AM
Ha ha. But seriously. That probably will be a problem with some guys who want to do a full weapons school grad brief to include time hacks and a brief history lesson on why we fly to Hawaii.

:D:D

Could this be why we now have LOI/CRM exercise as part of our interview process? :p

Whack, just having some fun at our own expense...

SkyNation
09-09-2017, 10:20 AM

I thought all those guys worked at Delta ;)

ZapBrannigan
09-09-2017, 12:19 PM

I'm sure however we do it, it will be industry leading. The finest minds the Zoo has ever produced are developing new industry leading techniques even as we speak.

RJSAviator76
09-10-2017, 01:13 AM
I'm sure however we do it, it will be industry leading. The finest minds the Zoo has ever produced are developing new industry leading techniques even as we speak.

Why does SNA noise abatement come to mind?

e6bpilot
09-10-2017, 06:59 AM
They actually released something about that last year. Apparently there are two classes of departures at SNA and we have a mix of both. Since there is no way for the line pilot to know which they are on, they get to do the stupid and slightly dangerous noise abatement procedure on every one. I would be interested to see what the numbers are and whether flying an all NG fleet out of there has made the cutback procedure N/A. It's a giant PITA. I do enjoy making up fake transponder codes to put on the dispatch report, though.
We actually lost some departure slots there this year when they expired and I believe we reallocated them to other LA airports.
Other than its proximity to Disney and the fact that you may have a near miss with Han Solo, I find few redeeming factors at SNA.
Customers love having the airport there, but the same customers don't want us flying over their houses. Funny how the laws of physics work.

i fly planes
09-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Doubtful but I doubt they would do it for the ETOPS in any case. They still have to train thousands of pilots for it eventually. Even at Sun Country (where I spent a year) the vast majority of the ETOPS flying is done by just a small subset of the crews even though all are trained in it.

I've heard the leases at SY aren't very favorable and the integration of even the small pilot group would be thorny.

The biggest reason to acquire Sunny would be to take control of the Terminal 2 at MSP and I've heard Southwest doesn't really want to start a war with Delta in either MSP or Atlanta. It would be a fight nobody would win and both sides would lose.

Let things go the way they will with Sun Country but I don't really see Southwest acquiring them even though they have some ETOPS experience.

Southwest could hire ETOPS experts as consultants into the training dept. and have this done with Boeing's assistance very quickly. As mentioned, there are tons of pilots here at Southwest with oceanic experience in previous careers.

Interesting points. Sun Country recently announced DEN-MZT. I wonder when SWA will announce similar.

G4IND
10-19-2017, 06:39 PM
Anyone know why the upcoming schedule extension was pushed back a week, and what we should expect to see announced?

G4IND
02-14-2018, 05:35 PM
Hearing BNA has a big announcement tomorrow......

ZapBrannigan
02-14-2018, 06:35 PM

Well those ALWAYS come true. Did you hear it from a flight attendant who was told by a reliable source in ground ops whose cousin had dinner at a Dennyís that GK stopped at once?

WHACKMASTER
02-14-2018, 07:05 PM

Isnít BNA supposed to be a big announcement every year?

e6bpilot
02-14-2018, 08:57 PM
Isnít BNA supposed to be a big announcement every year?

Yep. They had a rally there two years ago. I think Gary did that just so he could see the hopes and dreams of BNAers crushed in person when during the Q and A portion he told them there was no base announcement.

at6d
02-15-2018, 01:54 AM
The announcement will be LAX.

capt707
02-15-2018, 06:53 AM
BNA-ATL 5x/day!

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/02/15/southwest-adds-nonstop-flight-atlanta/340582002/