Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Upcoming Interview

MNpilot16
08-26-2017, 09:43 PM
I have an interview next week with Air Wisconsin, however I am contemplating to cancel it as I already have an offer from another regional. I'm just not sure if I should even attend, but truthfully I have not spoken to a lot of pilots about the company and do not have any friends working there. I have been scouting the threads here to learn more but had some questions.

- How happy are people at the company right now? I'm reading a lot of people are leaving cause of the bonus payouts for new hires, not happy about lines etc. QOL good?
- how long are the upgrade times? I realize this is only a prediction but are they telling the truth saying that upgrades are projected 18-24 months? I read somewhere the upgrades right now are something like 5 years?
- Someone told me that this whole new contract with United is dependent on them hiring a bunch of pilots, how is that going so far?

I'm sorry for all the questions, just trying to make the right decision here.

Thank you

Day4mx
08-27-2017, 06:34 AM
I have an interview next week with Air Wisconsin, however I am contemplating to cancel it as I already have an offer from another regional. I'm just not sure if I should even attend, but truthfully I have not spoken to a lot of pilots about the company and do not have any friends working there. I have been scouting the threads here to learn more but had some questions.

- How happy are people at the company right now? I'm reading a lot of people are leaving cause of the bonus payouts for new hires, not happy about lines etc. QOL good?
- how long are the upgrade times? I realize this is only a prediction but are they telling the truth saying that upgrades are projected 18-24 months? I read somewhere the upgrades right now are something like 5 years?
- Someone told me that this whole new contract with United is dependent on them hiring a bunch of pilots, how is that going so far?

Thank you

People are very happy here. It's one of the best pilot groups you could ask for. I understand people being unhappy about lines though. I'm pretty irate with my 17 days off and 92 credit in September. Hiring, by all accounts, is going well. Classes are full. Upgrade time will drop. Right now it's over five but once upgrades resume consistently, they'll come down. The seniority list has to grow substantially, and it is, for the ual flying. It's a great place to hang your hat.

FlyPKP
08-27-2017, 09:42 AM
People are very happy here.

Results may vary.,

It's certainly not rosey here but we are in transition, but compared to other regionals, it could be worse.

lukeh99
08-28-2017, 04:24 PM
Using current actual attrition rates, current actual new hire class numbers, and reasonable hiring targets stated by management, a new hire today will be about 50% seniority in a year. The 18-25 month upgrade is more like a worst case scenario.

If that's not enough there is no regional with a better bonus package--except maybe Envoy is equal assuming you don't have a 121 type. If you do have the type AW wins by a long shot.

Crews are by far the least disgruntled I've ever interacted with. Most people are proud to work here and actively try to welcome you/help you. It's a far cry from the typical impersonal mega-regional pilot mills I'm familiar with.

When you hear a few people talking trash about the company you have to keep in mind literallly every current base (maybe with the exception of ORF) is closing in the next 6 months with the transition from AA to UAL flying. It's not surprising some people are not pleased with the situation. This should make zero difference from a new hire's perspective though as long as you'll be happy with an IAD or ORD base. It's a 5 year CPA which means job security.

The health insurance is insanely inexpensive and good. You can literally have a surgery or a baby and pay a $15 copay. There's no deductible. Hospital visits have $0 copay. It's around 150/month for a single person. Tons of other industry leading benefits like 401k match. The trip/duty rig is massively beneficial and doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves with less efficient FAR 117 trips.

This place is as good as it gets. Don't listen to the naysayers.

squib
08-28-2017, 09:12 PM
Using current actual attrition rates, current actual new hire class numbers, and reasonable hiring targets stated by management, a new hire today will be about 50% seniority in a year. The 18-25 month upgrade is more like a worst case scenario.

Your koolaide must have been extra strong. Around 5 captains left last month, the other third were FO's, and the last third were new hire failures. Hiring targets mean nothing. Anyone can say they "plan to hire 3-400 next year."

To see the top 50% of the seniority list you need to be here going on 8+ years.

Good luck with the 18 month upgrade, which wait for it, was advertised 6 months ago. That means every FO on property should upgrade in 12 months, and everyone else continuously after. Never going to happen.

squib
08-28-2017, 09:14 PM
When you hear a few people talking trash about the company you have to keep in mind literally every current base (maybe with the exception of ORF) is closing in the next 6 months with the transition from AA to UAL flying.

Half the people here commute. You only mention the transition from AA-UAL which shows your lack of knowledge on everything. Before AA there was USAir, and previously UAL. People didn't just up and quit when the bases changed. Some began to commute for the best pay/contract in the industry (which is still concessionary).

Oh and Norfolk is closing.

Name User
08-28-2017, 09:27 PM
Half the people here commute. You only mention the transition from AA-UAL which shows your lack of knowledge on everything. Before AA there was USAir, and previously UAL. People didn't just up and quit when the bases changed. Some began to commute for the best pay/contract in the industry (which is still concessionary).

Oh and Norfolk is closing.

AWAC going from UA to US flying got a lot of movement going as quite a few left after that even with the 18 146 aircraft leaving. Upgrade time back then was around 30 months, or roughly 18 CAs a month leaving. The movement back then was pretty brisk.

squib
08-28-2017, 09:39 PM
AWAC going from UA to US flying got a lot of movement going as quite a few left after that even with the 18 146 aircraft leaving. Upgrade time back then was around 30 months, or roughly 18 CAs a month leaving. The movement back then was pretty brisk.

Stop mentioning the 146. No one cares about that airplane. There are 10+ year CA's bidding reserve in ORD to not commute. That is the current realtity. Good luck with the 18-24 mo upgrade.

Name User
08-29-2017, 04:44 AM
Stop mentioning the 146. No one cares about that airplane. There are 10+ year CA's bidding reserve in ORD to not commute. That is the current realtity. Good luck with the 18-24 mo upgrade.
If that is what you took from my post then I guess we have nothing to discuss.

lukeh99
08-29-2017, 04:58 AM
Your koolaide must have been extra strong. Around 5 captains left last month, the other third were FO's, and the last third were new hire failures. Hiring targets mean nothing. Anyone can say they "plan to hire 3-400 next year."

To see the top 50% of the seniority list you need to be here going on 8+ years.

Good luck with the 18 month upgrade, which wait for it, was advertised 6 months ago. That means every FO on property should upgrade in 12 months, and everyone else continuously after. Never going to happen.

If the 800 target is an outright lie then you might be right. But the classes are running and 800 seems on target for 65 aircraft operating for UAL and it is achievable using current new hire class numbers in a year. Even with no movement that puts a new hire FO around 60% in 12 months. It's just math.

WhistlePig
08-29-2017, 06:20 AM
1. Where can you live in base? And if you can't,

2. Where can you have a 1 leg commute with several options?

Answering those questions truthfully will have the biggest impact on your experience at a regional airline.

squib
08-29-2017, 07:48 AM
If that is what you took from my post then I guess we have nothing to discuss.

There is nothing more to take from your post. You are talking about something that happened 15 years ago. Everything is different today. Do you really think people aren't trying to leave this place? Everyone is, people aren't just getting a call.

squib
08-29-2017, 07:51 AM
If the 800 target is an outright lie then you might be right. But the classes are running and 800 seems on target for 65 aircraft operating for UAL and it is achievable using current new hire class numbers in a year. Even with no movement that puts a new hire FO around 60% in 12 months. It's just math.

AWA is not going to double in size in a year. Check back here in 12 months and see where you are on the list.

T28driver
08-29-2017, 08:19 AM
AWA is not going to double in size in a year. Check back here in 12 months and see where you are on the list.

http://www.jamesaltucher.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/tumblr_mme54mwfdq1r8rauqo1_500.png

squib
08-29-2017, 08:54 AM
^^ cool drawing, never saw that online before.

Just tryin to help a guy out who believes the false garbage being put out there.

pitchtrim
08-29-2017, 09:17 AM
I don't think it's too outrageous to see 650 pilots on the list come February. Applications and quality of the applicants have gone way up. I believe we have 50 new hires in or about to be in training. Maybe someone upgrades in 2 years, maybe not. Either way it's a good time to get hired.

prex8390
08-29-2017, 02:30 PM

That's a big glass of kool aid you got there

lukeh99
08-29-2017, 03:05 PM
That's a big glass of kool aid you got there

It tastes good! :D

Five93H
08-29-2017, 03:09 PM
It tastes good! :D

Every regional of the month has a hiring bump when they offer something fresh. Seen it at PDT, PSA, C5, 9E, etc.

The biggest thing is how can they continue to keep numbers high over time when others have matched and the shine wears off. For 9E, it's been continual improvements to keep hiring going, but it does come in waves.

This weeks hot girl doesn't always stay that way.

Any improvement for one RJ is good for everybody across the board, let's see the bar raised higher again.

FlyPKP
08-30-2017, 04:45 AM
Every regional of the month has a hiring bump when they offer something fresh. Seen it at PDT, PSA, C5, 9E, etc.

The biggest thing is how can they continue to keep numbers high over time when others have matched and the shine wears off. For 9E, it's been continual improvements to keep hiring going, but it does come in waves.

This weeks hot girl doesn't always stay that way.

Any improvement for one RJ is good for everybody across the board, let's see the bar raised higher again.

Exactly, and seeing how horribly reactive the company has been, the bubble is going to pop and they'll somehow be surprised. Or no more retention bonus and people start leaving again for the LCC Bus operators because it's still a step up in experience, and they actually treat you like a person.

The company continues to do as little as possible to get people all while treating existing employees like crap to get the flying done because they're too cheap to do what everyone else is to retain and hire pilots.

BigWillyCapt
08-30-2017, 06:09 AM

As was mentioned, we have a great pilot group. Most people are pretty cool on any given day. We have a lot less leaving now than before. Since the UAL deal was announced. Most leaving are people leaving for a major or LCC or new hire issues. The QOL here is arguable as good as anywhere, seniority dependent as always, and will fluctuate until the UAL transition is complete

Chasing upgrade is always a gamble. Some hit it right and some don't. Keep in mind we have one of the smaller pilot groups so getting to 50% will be mathematically shorter than others. And the trend seems to be getting better. Nobody can read the crystal ball perfectly though. Will a new hire upgrade in 18-24 months? I am a bit skeptical but it could be close. Too many factors involved.

Hiring has been going well from what I have seen. All check-airman are booked for IOE for the foreseeable future.

Thank you

I would say, come interview and at least take a look. Meet people from the company. What do you have to lose? If you still like your current company it was a small investment to make a more informed decision.

Day4mx
08-30-2017, 07:05 AM
Exactly, and seeing how horribly reactive the company has been, the bubble is going to pop and they'll somehow be surprised. Or no more retention bonus and people start leaving again for the LCC Bus operators because it's still a step up in experience, and they actually treat you like a person.

The company continues to do as little as possible to get people all while treating existing employees like crap to get the flying done because they're too cheap to do what everyone else is to retain and hire pilots.

What do you want this company to do differently than all other regionals? What makes this place so sub par in your opinion? Schedules are good. Pay is above average. Management stays off your back. What else is there?

WhistlePig
08-30-2017, 07:20 AM
What do you want this company to do differently than all other regionals? What makes this place so sub par in your opinion? Schedules are good. Pay is above average. Management stays off your back. What else is there?

Spoken like a true Lineholder. Reserves is a whole different airline. If the contract doesn't fix Reserve rules, then it should be a NO vote.

FlyPKP
08-30-2017, 07:30 AM
Spoken like a true Lineholder. Reserves is a whole different airline. If the contract doesn't fix Reserve rules, then it should be a NO vote.

Run into a lot of that, plus if you want to try and change your schedule good luck. Also line holders can be junior manned as well.

Just being a line holder shouldn't blind people to the fact that this place isn't as good as it should be. It doesn't negate management threatening pilots.

MNpilot16
08-30-2017, 07:59 AM
I went and did get hired. Surprisingly the interview was a little more challenging than the other places. Didn't expect to get Stars / SIDS. Really nice guys who did the interview and the process was good. Reading through the posts I still have mixed feelings though, thank you everyone for the input.

The thing that attracts me the most is that the reserve times here seem to be low, and ORD is a super easy commute for me. At my other regional , il get put in New York and Chicago is super senior. The bonus is a nice addition too. But I'm still concerned for the future regarding upgrades. If I have to wait 3 years to upgrade that is fine but 5 years is a little excessive.

Some more questions.

- How are company hotels? Decent?
- I didn't get to see the training center which kind of was disappointing , so I have no clue about the facility , everything decent there?
- Are we paid durin CPT? What's training pay? Reserve gaurentee with per diem 24/7?

Thanks

T28driver
08-30-2017, 09:03 AM
If I have to wait 3 years to upgrade that is fine but 5 years is a little excessive.

Some more questions.

- I didn't get to see the training center which kind of was disappointing , so I have no clue about the facility , everything decent there?
- Are we paid durin CPT? What's training pay? Reserve gaurentee with per diem 24/7?

Thanks

Upgrade time quoted anywhere, by anyone, is a rumor until you are sitting in the left seat. Only then does it become fact. If you are comfortable with a 3 year upgrade time, you will most likely not be disappointed at any regional right now (with the unfortunate exception of expressjet).

Hotels in training have been very acceptable so far. You will stay in downtown Appleton during training, plenty of options for food.

The training facility for Indoc and Systems is in the basement of the ATW airport. Facilities are good but not gold plated, instructors have been excellent.

You will be paid during CPT. Reserve min guarantee (75 hrs/month at $35), no per diem.

toolowterrain
08-30-2017, 09:17 AM
I went and did get hired. Surprisingly the interview was a little more challenging than the other places. Didn't expect to get Stars / SIDS. Really nice guys who did the interview and the process was good. Reading through the posts I still have mixed feelings though, thank you everyone for the input.

The thing that attracts me the most is that the reserve times here seem to be low, and ORD is a super easy commute for me. At my other regional , il get put in New York and Chicago is super senior. The bonus is a nice addition too. But I'm still concerned for the future regarding upgrades. If I have to wait 3 years to upgrade that is fine but 5 years is a little excessive.

Some more questions.

Thanks

1). Some are better than others. However, I'll venture out and say that they are all safe and clean.

2) Thats because there is no single training facility. Part of training is in Appleton and then you go to another city to finish. I'm not sure what you mean by how nice they are…you won't be sleeping at the training center after all.

3) You get paid starting on day one of training (even CTP).
As to the second part of the question… Huhhh?

You get a 75hr guarantee right off. You get paid more than that only if you physically fly more than 75 (e.g. Fly 80 in a month, you get paid that). If you are on a trip then yes, per diem is from start of trip to end of trip. If you are in domicile with no assignment but on 'call', then no per diem.

BigWillyCapt
08-30-2017, 01:36 PM

Some more questions.

Thanks

Hotels are above average for a regional airline. I am at a Hilton Garden Inn right now. Location can vary. We have a few downtown hotels and a bunch in average locations and of course, some in less than desirable locations. Meaning not much around to do or eat.

As was said, full pay from day 1. Except per diem which begins at the start of IOE. No per diem when on call as a reserve until you get an assignment unless you are on Ready Reserve then per diem from start of shift until termination of duty period.

Sure life isn't all roses, especially on reserve. We signed the original contract when life was good and reserve was short, so it's not great. But I would expect it's still better than reserve at most other regionals. Minimum 12 days off. If you get extended (jr manned) you have the option of getting the day off back. I doubt you will be on reserve long depending on your base choice and barring unforeseen circumstances. New hires who finished IOE in July are already awarded lineholders for Oct-Nov.

I think some of the naysayers lose sight of the fact that this isn't a major airline. Could it and should it be better? Sure. We are working through all that in our negotiations. But I still put our contract, QOL and working conditions up against any other regional out there.

armytoairline
08-30-2017, 02:36 PM
I think some of the naysayers lose sight of the fact that this isn't a major airline. Could it and should it be better? Sure. We are working through all that in our negotiations. But I still put our contract, QOL and working conditions up against any other regional out there.

Better than PSA with SAP and a flow (even with the flow as a pure backup)? If so, how? I'm honestly curious; exploring all options.

StrykerB21
08-30-2017, 05:19 PM
Better than PSA with SAP and a flow (even with the flow as a pure backup)? If so, how? I'm honestly curious; exploring all options.

For one the pilot group is a lot more mature. Much easier to get along with guys and gals who take their profession seriously.

itsmytime
08-30-2017, 08:20 PM
For one the pilot group is a lot more mature. Much easier to get along with guys and gals who take their profession seriously.

That's strictly your opinion. No way to prove that.

StrykerB21
08-31-2017, 04:31 AM
That's strictly your opinion. No way to prove that.

Listen to com 2 in CLT for a while.

armytoairline
08-31-2017, 02:04 PM

What does that have to do with work rules and QOL? From the outside looking in, SAP outweighs the perception of a slight less mature pilot group since it directly affects pay and QOL.

lukeh99
08-31-2017, 02:34 PM

Some more questions.

Thanks

The last FO on the April seniority list was around 90% on the July list. There might be another regional that gets you 10% up the list in 3 months, but its not going to be a place you want to be.

New FOs are sitting reserve for 2-3 months.

lukeh99
08-31-2017, 02:48 PM

Other regionals might have similar rules but I would specifically ask about things like cancellation pay/block or better, trip and duty rigs, health insurance costs and benefits, retirement matching, and things like that. There's a lot that goes into pay besides dollars per hour and AW really shines on that front.

The CPP isn't a flow but it should generate movement. That's all it's good for until you have been here at least 3 years when it *might* help with a UAL job. But it gets the list moving a bit faster and gives the senior guys/gals a reason to leave and that benefits everyone. Again I'm not familiar with those other flow programs but approach them all with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Grumbletrousers
08-31-2017, 06:25 PM
What does that have to do with work rules and QOL? From the outside looking in, SAP outweighs the perception of a slight less mature pilot group since it directly affects pay and QOL.

Does PSA still have 12 hour 4 day trips?

armytoairline
08-31-2017, 07:45 PM
Other regionals might have similar rules but I would specifically ask about things like cancellation pay/block or better, trip and duty rigs, health insurance costs and benefits, retirement matching, and things like that. There's a lot that goes into pay besides dollars per hour and AW really shines on that front.

The CPP isn't a flow but it should generate movement. That's all it's good for until you have been here at least 3 years when it *might* help with a UAL job. But it gets the list moving a bit faster and gives the senior guys/gals a reason to leave and that benefits everyone. Again I'm not familiar with those other flow programs but approach them all with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Awesome, those are the details I was looking for. Will look into PSA vs AW's policies/rules on all the points you mentioned above. Thanks!

armytoairline
08-31-2017, 07:48 PM
Does PSA still have 12 hour 4 day trips?

Not sure, but SAP is supposed to be the bees knees and I've yet to hear/meet a PSA guy say literally anything bad about it. That said, obviously I'm keeping options open and considering all points. So for AW I was wondering if there was anything that outweighs the value of the SAP/flow combo. Another poster above brought up some points I'll look into. Thanks guys, blue skies.

BigWillyCapt
09-01-2017, 05:12 PM
You are going to have to enlighten this old guy what SAP is.

If you want details I will try to give you a few.

Pay- block or better on a leg by leg basis. Full DH pay. Full cancellation pay. You basically can't lose pay from your final award unless you cause the issue. 2:1 Duty rig. 3.5:1 Trip rig. 3 hour minimum day. 75 hours/month guarantee.
Per diem is $2.65 I think.

Health Insurance is a Cadillac plan of which we pay 25%.

Retirement. 3% 401k donation regardless of pilot participation. (After 1 year I think). They also match roughly half up to 5%. You put in 9, they put in 5. 100% vested at 6 years.

$260 per year uniform allowance. Starts paying out after first full calendar year.

Vacation 1 week after your first year. 2 weeks from 2-5 years. Then 3 weeks topping out at 5 weeks. Trip touching on primary weeks, 1st, 4th, and 5th.

12 days off minimum per month.

StrykerB21
09-01-2017, 05:52 PM

Pay- block or better on a leg by leg basis. Full DH pay. Full cancellation pay. You basically can't lose pay from your final award unless you cause the issue. 2:1 Duty rig. 3.5:1 Trip rig. 3 hour minimum day. 75 hours/month guarantee.

Retirement. 3% 401k donation regardless of pilot participation. (After 1 year I think). They also match roughly half up to 5%. You put in 9, they put in 5. 100% vested at 6 years.

$260 per year uniform allowance. Starts paying out after first full calendar year.

Vacation 1 week after your first year. 2 weeks from 2-5 years. Then 3 weeks topping out at 5 weeks. Trip touching on primary weeks, 1st, 4th, and 5th.

All correct except per diem is 1.75.

diverdriver2
09-02-2017, 01:46 PM

Trip rig is 1:4

BigWillyCapt
09-03-2017, 04:39 AM
All correct except per diem is 1.75.

Thanks. I meant 1.65 but 1.75 is even better. And yes trip rig is 4:1.

Pokeysrider
09-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Thanks. I meant 1.65 but 1.75 is even better. And yes trip rig is 4:1.

Could someone (BigWilly?) enlighten me on a few points?
1) trip / duty rig? I haven't been able to piece that one together.
2) I'm considering applying at AW, but have a CJO elsewhere.
3) Any guesses as to where the UAL routes will be flown?
4) Being an all CRJ200 fleet, do you fly 4-5 short legs each day? Fly any longer routes?
5) Any news on large airframes to service UAL?
6) Everyone seems pretty happy there, what percentage commute (that would be me if I went AW)?
7) Thanks so much, my wife and I are really excited about the opportunity to do this!

T28driver
09-05-2017, 07:29 PM
Could someone (BigWilly?) enlighten me on a few points?
1) trip / duty rig? I haven't been able to piece that one together.
2) I'm considering applying at AW, but have a CJO elsewhere.
3) Any guesses as to where the UAL routes will be flown?
4) Being an all CRJ200 fleet, do you fly 4-5 short legs each day? Fly any longer routes?
5) Any news on large airframes to service UAL?
6) Everyone seems pretty happy there, what percentage commute (that would be me if I went AW)?
7) Thanks so much, my wife and I are really excited about the opportunity to do this!

1) Rigs mean that we get paid a certain amount even if we are not flying. For example, the duty rig means that we get paid a minimum 1 hour for every two that we are on duty. for example, if you had a 1 hour flight with four hours on the ground followed by a one hour flight (total of 2 hours flight time, 6 hours on duty) you would get paid for three hours. The trip rig is the same concept, but over the entire trip. For example, if you had a trip where you were away from base for 48 hours and flew 8 hours, you would get paid for 12 hours of flight time.

2) If you are a qualified pilot without any really major skeletons in your closet, you should be able to get a CJO at any regional.

3) Not really. We've seen a list of about 50 cities so far. It's mostly small towns east of the Mississippi.

4) see above.

5) Nope. If flying a 76 seater or something with autothrottles is the most important thing for you, this is probably not the place to come.

6) I have no idea what this percentage is. I'll be commuting to ORD, and know several other people in my class that will be doing the same.

7) So far I have not regretted my choice to come here vs. another regional. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions about the training process, I'll answer to the best of my ability.

MNpilot16
09-06-2017, 08:40 AM
one more question, i think im going to take the offer here.

Are we provided uniforms/luggage/EFB or is that only after year one?

Also someone have recommendations for studying? I read on here there are alot of washouts and I don't want to be part of that group, would like to get a head start on studying.

prex8390
09-06-2017, 09:30 AM

Also someone have recommendations for studying? I read on here there are alot of washouts and I don't want to be part of that group, would like to get a head start on studying.

Study what they give you and don't read ahead. Nothing to study prior either. Law of primacy Is a must if this is your first 121 airline. A lot of guys wash out because even after all this talk of taking self responsibility, many come in with poor attitudes, or expect to be taught everything and not study for a few hours every day after class. The people I have seen to struggle the most are guys who got their ratings in the 80s/90s. Made a life outside of flying and then come back to it now trying to catch the hiring wave, maybe doing a neighbors BFR or a few IPCs throughout the years and can't keep up with the pace of 121 ground school. It goes by fast, enjoy it and study hard everyday but take time for a few cold ones on the weekend

T28driver
09-06-2017, 10:01 AM

Uniforms can be payroll deducted, luggage cannot. You will be given the offer of taking the company iPad or providing your own, I think everyone in my class took the company one.

I completely agree with Prex, don't study ahead. Pay attention in class, study a couple of hours per night and you will be good to go.

Pokeysrider
09-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Appreciate the replies!

FODhopper
09-07-2017, 06:12 AM
[QUOTE=prex8390;2425888 The people I have seen to struggle the most are guys who got their ratings in the 80s/90s. Made a life outside of flying and then come back to it now trying to catch the hiring wave, maybe doing a neighbors BFR or a few IPCs throughout the years and can't keep up with the pace of 121 ground school. [/QUOTE]

Hey, I learned in the early 90s and I did just fine. :)

The weakest point has been basic instrument flying and understanding the complete arc of an IFR flight from gate to gate. It's not really the plane but what should you be doing in the next 20 minutes.

Anticipation.

If you have been out of flying for a while, consider flying a few flights under IFR (doesn't have to be simulated/actual). Overplan and overbrief. Flying the plane is easy, managing the flight is where people get overwhelmed. Practice thinking ahead.

Also, re-read the AIM before you start class it will help fill in some gaps or wake up dormant knowledge that will help internalize what you will learn in Indoc.

If you are coming from light aircraft GA, you will find a lot of that stuff that really didn't apply, suddenly does. Example: You will start to see airport markings you have only seen in the book. Do you know the +/- mach speed you can deviate from assigned before you have to inform ATC? That kind of stuff.

They will tell you in class what specifically you will be tested on, but all this other stuff will serve you well as base knowledge in training and on the line.

squib
09-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Uniforms can be payroll deducted, luggage cannot. You will be given the offer of taking the company iPad or providing your own, I think everyone in my class took the company one.

Uniform reimbursements begin 12 months after date of hire. The company does uniform balance credits in January. So if you have not been on property since the previous January you get nothing. There's people here going on nearly 3 years before they see a uniform credit.

BigWillyCapt
09-08-2017, 07:03 PM
True. But you can payroll deduct the cost of your initial uniform. Headset too I believe. They will deduct $25 per check I think until it's paid off. As was mentioned, once you are on property a full calendar year you will get uniform allowances.

Cujo665
09-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Not sure, but SAP is supposed to be the bees knees and I've yet to hear/meet a PSA guy say literally anything bad about it. That said, obviously I'm keeping options open and considering all points. So for AW I was wondering if there was anything that outweighs the value of the SAP/flow combo. Another poster above brought up some points I'll look into. Thanks guys, blue skies.

don't think the SAP applies to reserves though. Could be wrong, perhaps a PSAer can verify.

chrisreedrules
09-18-2017, 04:43 PM
don't think the SAP applies to reserves though. Could be wrong, perhaps a PSAer can verify.

Only line holders can take advantage of the SAP at PSA. But reserve time is short so there's that.

whooooooocares
09-25-2017, 09:03 AM
There is almost no ability to change your schedule at AWAC. If you have enough seniority you can request every swap possible with initial open time and hope that some work out. Ive heard it said by a certain scheduler that "you don't get to pick what you fly, I get to pick what you fly." So there is that. Good luck

IFLYACRJ
09-28-2017, 07:54 AM
I'm 5 for 5 in swaps this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whooooooocares
09-28-2017, 11:06 AM
I'm 5 for 5 in swaps this month.

How senior are you? From initial open time?

Grumbletrousers
09-28-2017, 11:18 AM

2/3 of mine were approved.

IFLYACRJ
10-02-2017, 06:03 AM

Daily open time

Richmond454
11-02-2017, 08:41 PM
I have an interview with AW this month and like to put my best foot forward. I've read some online gouge but was wondering if someone would be willing to share their recent interview experiences. I haven't taken my ATP yet and it seems like the written portion had a lot of ATP questions. Do they ask questions off Jepp charts or FAA charts? Like most people I trained on FAA charts. I'll probably start looking over Jepp charts this week. I'm not super concerned about the HR portion of the interview but I would really like to do well on the technical portion. Based on all my research Air Wisconsin is my top choice so I wouldn't want to stumble through this process. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Please feel free to send me a direct message if u like.

T28driver
11-03-2017, 06:41 AM
PM sent.

Filler

ChrisInWI
11-29-2017, 04:05 PM
I have an interview with AW this month and like to put my best foot forward. I've read some online gouge but was wondering if someone would be willing to share their recent interview experiences. I haven't taken my ATP yet and it seems like the written portion had a lot of ATP questions. Do they ask questions off Jepp charts or FAA charts? Like most people I trained on FAA charts. I'll probably start looking over Jepp charts this week. I'm not super concerned about the HR portion of the interview but I would really like to do well on the technical portion. Based on all my research Air Wisconsin is my top choice so I wouldn't want to stumble through this process. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Please feel free to send me a direct message if u like.

I was just offered an interview in December and have never interviewed at an airline before. Curious if you can share any gouge.

Thanks in advance

BigWillyCapt
11-30-2017, 09:08 PM
I'm not up on the current interview gouge but my advice would be to buy the book, "checklist for success" by Cheryl Cage. Some of the preparation advice might be overkill for a regional interview, but it got me the job.

diverdriver2
12-01-2017, 07:39 AM
I'm not up on the current interview gouge but my advice would be to buy the book, "checklist for success" by Cheryl Cage. Some of the preparation advice might be overkill for a regional interview, but it got me the job.

I'll second using Cage.

Know your aerodynamics. Know how to read approach plates. Be honest with any failures (yes, they will find out).

ChrisInWI
12-05-2017, 05:43 AM
Copy all, sounds like sage advice!