Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Commuting from OKC

ViperGuy69
09-15-2017, 12:53 PM
Greetings all,

I'm getting ready to retire from the military and, for family reasons, I'll be settling down in Oklahoma. I will be pursuing an airline job and I'm curious which company/domicile/aircraft would be best suited for a guy commuting from OKC.

I'm familiar with most of the domicile locations, so I'm looking for info on commutable lines, schedule flexibility, deadheads, minimal time on reserves, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the info!

sailingfun
09-15-2017, 02:47 PM
Greetings all,

I'm getting ready to retire from the military and, for family reasons, I'll be settling down in Oklahoma. I will be pursuing an airline job and I'm curious which company/domicile/aircraft would be best suited for a guy commuting from OKC.

I'm familiar with most of the domicile locations, so I'm looking for info on commutable lines, schedule flexibility, deadheads, minimal time on reserves, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the info!

Someone with a Dallas base would be best. Be aware that OKC is where the FAA has lots of activity. Be prepared to be bumped by the FAA for the jumpseat.

e6bpilot
09-15-2017, 03:23 PM
I live in okc and work for a major airline. Shoot me a PM if you want details beyond what I am posting.
The key to an easy commute is frequency, flight length, and the number of commuters in your city pair.
Okc is honestly a great commuter city. There is good frequency to DAL, DFW, HOU, IAH, DEN, ORD, and ATL and nonstops to just about every other city that has an airline base except NYC.
Having a commutable line is going to largely depend on your airline, but at SWA, anyway, there are a lot of commutable trips in Houston.
If you go with a Dallas based airline, you can always drive down. It's about 3-4 hours depending on where you live in okc.
As far as the Feds on the jumpseat, I haven't really noticed that at all. I have never been kicked off the jumpseat by a fed in okc, but maybe I have just been lucky.
Best of luck.

ualav8r
09-15-2017, 03:31 PM
Congrats on your retirement and thanks for your service. I lived in Edmond and commuted to either ORD or DEN between 2004 and 2013. I'm probably not telling you anything new but just know up front that commuting will seriously complicate your life. Some guys are better commuters than others. I was a senior 757,767 F/O so I could bid commutable trips...I couldn't imagine commuting and being junior in my fleet/seat. Things have changed some since I left but when I was commuting it was all RJs on United Express...usually full and weight restricted. Now there are some mainline flights to some of UALs hubs. I occasionally used Southwest to Midway and found my way to ORD and of course their direct flight to DEN helped sometimes. I now live in base and my life is much less complicated. There is a much larger trip pool to bid from since I don't have to worry about hotels, I never check the weather and of course don't have to worry about schedules and loads. Welcome to the industry and happy commuting.

at6d
09-15-2017, 09:14 PM
Lots to think about. For example, trips at SWA are generally not commutable on both ends, but I personally know two guys here that commute to DAL from OKC and TUL. Also, Uber from DFW to DAL runs about $25 on average as a backup. If you have an AM trip, it's likely you would commute in the day before. A PM trip often has commuters going home the day after their trip ends.

A 1-leg commute is already hard--a two leg commute can really suck. Most newhires at SWA (historically) do time in BWI or OAK for a bit.

If you can handle a commute to a junior base, it's doable.

webecheck
09-16-2017, 06:18 AM
I commuted from OKC to IAH for about 6 months. OKC is probably one of the easiest airports to get in and out of from crew lot to Kcm to the gate. IAH was so short I could never finish my movie either. Once the frequency was so great I sat short call from the coffee shop couch there. Don't recommend trying that, but the stars aligned for me that day and I pulled it off. Never saw a fed once, don't know how the commute to Dfw would be. Only once did I have to use swa to hobby but I had an interesting uber ride from a Nigerian with 4 wives. Enjoyed that trip. Lol

I would consider OKC IAH as about an easy a commute as there is, except if you want to get into IAH around late afternoon in August. Thunderstorms.

LumberJack
09-16-2017, 06:38 AM
While commuting is no fun, you can do some things to minimize the pain. I've commuted for 6 years and life is grand! That said, I've learned to roll with the punches. I don't run in the terminal (anymore) and I don't fly Mach .99 to make a commute (anymore). For your planning purposes I'll try to list the big ones in order of importance for me:

1. Most important is commutable trips (that eliminates Southwest). Being able to get there and back on work days is HUGE. Don't underestimate how long it takes, especially with time zone changes. I'll use ATL as an example. That flight is 1.5 hours wheels up to wheels down. But it's blocked at 2 hours and with the time change makes it 3 hours to get to base. So at the earliest, you arrive at 9 am. Now you need a backup flight, next one leaves an hour later so now we're at 10 am. Careful though, because if you work for Delta you need at least 2 hours between flights as a buffer (which gives scheduling time to book you positive space on the backup flight and rebook the bumped pax, huge perk!) so now we're at 11 am arrival. Realistically your earliest show time is about 11:30 am on a good day. On Saturdays more like 1:30 pm.

2. As you can tell, frequency is nearly as important. Look at this website: You are being redirected... (http://www.passrider.com/reservations/advanced-search/)

For setup I use the desktop version, "All", "Nonstop", "No", "No", "No", and for date select a Sunday for any given week. (The chart looks best this way to me)

Frequency changes frequently. Saturdays are always reduced schedule.

3. Ability to fly on your own company. Some hidden benefits other than priority are the ability to BOOK a jumpseat. This is almost like having a paid seat. I know at Delta and FedEx you can do this, but United you can only list for it ahead of time and a senior pilot can walk up 10 mintes prior to pushand take it away. Delta and FedEx it's yours and only a Fed can bump you off. Not sure about UPS, American and Southwest.

My guess would be ATL (frequency is decent, commutable trips, and ability to book jumpseat) and DFW (commutable trips, good frequency, ability to drive and same time zone).

Hope this helps. Good luck and welcome!

LumberJack
09-16-2017, 06:44 AM
Filler :p :) :eek:

ViperGuy69
09-16-2017, 06:53 AM
Great info guys, thanks for the help! Hopefully I'll have a choice but ultimately I'll make it work with whoever offers me a job!

LumberJack
09-16-2017, 06:56 AM
Great info guys, thanks for the help! Hopefully I'll have a choice but ultimately I'll make it work with whoever offers me a job!

Oh you Viper guys are so modest ;)

e6bpilot
09-16-2017, 07:31 AM
1. Most important is commutable trips (that eliminates Southwest).

I fly for SWA, commute from OKC to HOU and haven't bought a hotel in months. YMMV but there are plenty of commutable trip opportunities from OKC at Southwest. They won't fall into your lap, but even as a junior FO you can spend very few extra nights from home commuting if you don't mind flying PM trips and play your cards right.
If you look at bases with good frequency and a late flight home (HOU, sometimes DAL and DEN) it can actually be quite easy.

LumberJack
09-16-2017, 05:51 PM
I fly for SWA, commute from OKC to HOU and haven't bought a hotel in months. YMMV but there are plenty of commutable trip opportunities from OKC at Southwest. They won't fall into your lap, but even as a junior FO you can spend very few extra nights from home commuting if you don't mind flying PM trips and play your cards right.
If you look at bases with good frequency and a late flight home (HOU, sometimes DAL and DEN) it can actually be quite easy.

That's good info! Would you mind posting typical show and release times for a PM trip?

Another thought is Delta typically has 4 day trips for narrowbody fleets. I've never seen a trip uncommutable on both ends, and a lot are commutable on both ends, but you'll usually be gone for 4 days at a time, 4 times per month. Whereas Southwest I believe generally flies 3 day trips and 4 of them per month? So even though Delta is generally more commutable, you might still be home more flying for Southwest, especially if you can get home same day.

e6bpilot
09-16-2017, 09:02 PM
That's good info! Would you mind posting typical show and release times for a PM trip?

Another thought is Delta typically has 4 day trips for narrowbody fleets. I've never seen a trip uncommutable on both ends, and a lot are commutable on both ends, but you'll usually be gone for 4 days at a time, 4 times per month. Whereas Southwest I believe generally flies 3 day trips and 4 of them per month? So even though Delta is generally more commutable, you might still be home more flying for Southwest, especially if you can get home same day.

We do have 4 day trips. I fly them sometimes and the majority, though definitely not all of them, are commutable. They just aren't terribly productive and day four is always...well...day four. The majority of our trips are 3 day trips though with a scattering of 4, 2, and 1 day trips.
AM trips are generally a deal breaker. Most of them report at or before 6am and so you have to commute the previous afternoon if you want to be rested.
PM shows start at around 11am and I have seen them as late as 9pm. They generally end sometime between 9pm and 1am but we have a few that get back around 6pm after a short overnight. I try and trade into trips that get back before 10pm since there is always a late flight back from HOU, usually around 10:20-10:50. That flight also runs late quite a bit since it is the last flight of the night and so I have made the commute plenty of times when I thought I wouldn't.
Of course, with airline commuting, all of this could change in an instant if they took that late night flight away.

at6d
09-17-2017, 12:30 AM
We have day trips, two, three, and four days.

I fly PMs as a rule. Since I drive about 2 hours to the airport, the PM option keeps me out of traffic. I had three four-days and one three-day last month.

The average report time for me was 1PM, average finish was 10:30PM.

Average TFP per trip was 29.65, and I had 16 days off in three-day blocks (except for a block of four days off).

fireman0174
09-17-2017, 01:55 AM
Be prepared to be bumped by the FAA for the jumpseat.

Most of the FAA travel is to/from the academy located on the west side of KOKC. Anyone going to the academy for training will be traveling in the back on a regular ticket.

JamesNoBrakes
09-17-2017, 07:46 AM
Most of the FAA travel is to/from the academy located on the west side of KOKC. Anyone going to the academy for training will be traveling in the back on a regular ticket.

Well, not everyone, but the majority. I believe instructors and a few other personnel still jumpseat. Anyone going for training is supposed to be on a ticket.

e6bpilot
09-17-2017, 08:15 AM
Well, not everyone, but the majority. I believe instructors and a few other personnel still jumpseat. Anyone going for training is supposed to be on a ticket.

That's correct. The vast majority travel on a ticket but the inspectors almost always jumpseat. Maybe it's the times I am flying, but I have never in over 3 years been bumped off in OKC. The only time I had it happen is Denver and it was actually BS since we had a second unoccupied jumpseat, he just didn't want me up there and the captain complied.

coryk
09-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned FedEx. OKC-MEM, company metal, can book JS 21 days in advanced. Typical schedule of week on/week off type of flying. Seniority = 777 = 1 longer (8-12) day trip a month. Or airline deadheads not the front and/or back of a trip that you can deviate from and use the money to buy a ticket from OKC vs. MEM to the first operating city/leg.

Or, Delta.

e6bpilot
09-17-2017, 02:42 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned FedEx. OKC-MEM, company metal, can book JS 21 days in advanced. Typical schedule of week on/week off type of flying. Seniority = 777 = 1 longer (8-12) day trip a month. Or airline deadheads not the front and/or back of a trip that you can deviate from and use the money to buy a ticket from OKC vs. MEM to the first operating city/leg.

Or, Delta.

Good point. FDX is a commuter paradise and the pay ain't bad either. I have one friend who works there and lives here in okc and his life is pretty danged good.

okawner
09-17-2017, 03:58 PM
Had a friend who lived in Norman and said he sat short call for AA at home (DFW based). Not sure what their work rules are, but that's probably a 2 hour drive best case.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

e6bpilot
09-17-2017, 04:31 PM
Had a friend who lived in Norman and said he sat short call for AA at home (DFW based). Not sure what their work rules are, but that's probably a 2 hour drive best case.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gutsy move, Mav.

hindsight2020
09-17-2017, 08:38 PM
Norman to DFW parking lot in 2 hours? No flipping way.

Poser765
09-18-2017, 10:50 AM
That's correct. The vast majority travel on a ticket but the inspectors almost always jumpseat. Maybe it's the times I am flying, but I have never in over 3 years been bumped off in OKC. The only time I had it happen is Denver and it was actually BS since we had a second unoccupied jumpseat, he just didn't want me up there and the captain complied.been commuting out of okc for 5 years... To dfw, cmh, ord, and lax. Never once been bumped for a commuting fed. In fact, I think think I've seen an inspector take a jumpseat a handful of times. It definitely doesn't happen more in okc than anywhere else.

Oklahoma City is a great place to commute out of. It's location means no where is more than three hours, and the airport has at least some daily service to most of the major hubs/bases.

ViperGuy69
09-19-2017, 12:03 PM
We have day trips, two, three, and four days.

I fly PMs as a rule. Since I drive about 2 hours to the airport, the PM option keeps me out of traffic. I had three four-days and one three-day last month.

The average report time for me was 1PM, average finish was 10:30PM.

Average TFP per trip was 29.65, and I had 16 days off in three-day blocks (except for a block of four days off).

Some more SWA questions:

1) What kind of schedule could a new FO expect? Four 3-day trips, three 4-day trips, a mix of both? I'm thinking as a commuter I would want fewer trips.

2) How long until you can get some weekends off? I'm assuming I'll be working lots of weekends when I start?

3) How long until I could hold DAL or HOU as a base?

Thanks again!

Salukipilot4590
09-19-2017, 06:17 PM
Norman to DFW parking lot in 2 hours? No flipping way.

Depends on what you drive ;)

e6bpilot
09-19-2017, 07:09 PM
Some more SWA questions:

1) What kind of schedule could a new FO expect? Four 3-day trips, three 4-day trips, a mix of both? I'm thinking as a commuter I would want fewer trips.

2) How long until you can get some weekends off? I'm assuming I'll be working lots of weekends when I start?

Thanks again!

1. Reserve is a mix of both, 15 days off a month.
2. Depends. Probably.
3. 3-4 months.
PM me if you have questions.

JamesNoBrakes
09-19-2017, 09:52 PM
That's correct. The vast majority travel on a ticket but the inspectors almost always jumpseat. Maybe it's the times I am flying, but I have never in over 3 years been bumped off in OKC. The only time I had it happen is Denver and it was actually BS since we had a second unoccupied jumpseat, he just didn't want me up there and the captain complied.

Incorrect. The inspectors are the ones going for training at OKC, they are mostly on tickets, and you probably don't even know they are on your flight. Example, I have never jumpseated to OKC and in all of the classes I've had, none of the students have either. I know of a few instructors that have. Most inspectors traveling to OKC are not jumpseating. You may have encountered some, but I assure you that there are far more riding in the back on a ticket if that was the case. Like I said, I know of some exceptions, but for OKC, they are mostly on tickets.

e6bpilot
09-20-2017, 04:52 AM
Incorrect. The inspectors are the ones going for training at OKC, they are mostly on tickets, and you probably don't even know they are on your flight. Example, I have never jumpseated to OKC and in all of the classes I've had, none of the students have either. I know of a few instructors that have. Most inspectors traveling to OKC are not jumpseating. You may have encountered some, but I assure you that there are far more riding in the back on a ticket if that was the case. Like I said, I know of some exceptions, but for OKC, they are mostly on tickets.

Gotcha. Sorry, I was basing my assumption on the one and only fed I know personally and he is based in okc. He rides the jumpseat out of here when he goes out to fly checkrides and do inspections at other locations. It would make sense that a fed on "orders" to come to okc for training would have a seat in the back which is probably why the jumpseat isn't a problem out of here.

at6d
09-20-2017, 09:39 PM
Some more SWA questions:

Thanks again!

Mostly answered above. FWIW, I'm about to start year three and can't hold a PM line with solid weekends off (PHX base), but do get partial weekends on occasion. I could hold weekends off by bidding reserve, and may be able to do so with blank lines, but not sure.

One benefit of holding any kind of line or blank line is to trade trips with other pilots or use the monthly line improvement trip trade, but it's hit or miss.

You can't trade reserve for trips with the company, but you can with other pilots (this is rare).

fireman0174
09-21-2017, 02:36 PM
The vast majority travel on a ticket but the inspectors almost always jumpseat.
Not true. There's only ONE time I've heard of an inspector jumpseating to OKC for training. He was stuck in ORD due to a significant snow storm with no available seats for several days.

He got approval and jumpseated ORD-OKC and used the ticket (cabin) for his return from OKC after completing training. This was 7-8 years ago.

All of the above is for inspectors traveling to/from the FAA academy for training and not assigned work assignments.

e6bpilot
09-21-2017, 04:21 PM
Not true. There's only ONE time I've heard of an inspector jumpseating to OKC for training. He was stuck in ORD due to a significant snow storm with no available seats for several days.

He got approval and jumpseated ORD-OKC and used the ticket (cabin) for his return from OKC after completing training. This was 7-8 years ago.

All of the above is for inspectors traveling to/from the FAA academy for training and not assigned work assignments.

This was covered above. Mea culpa.

flysooner9
09-22-2017, 05:23 AM
I commuted for 4 years out of OKC. 1 year I was MIA based. That sucked for obvious reasons. Avoid a 2 leg commute at all costs. Was DFW based for another year. This was ok although those DFW flights are always absurdly full especially in the summer. As someone pointed out there was a fair amount of FAA guys taking the jump seat. Good thing is you can drive as a backup. 2:45 from the south metro to DFW parking with no traffic.

Last 2 years I was ORD based. Flying wide I found this the easiest. Lots of frequency on 2 different airlines. Also had very early and at the time very late flights. Just didn't have the back up of driving it.

Poser765
09-26-2017, 04:10 PM
I commuted for 4 years out of OKC. 1 year I was MIA based. That sucked for obvious reasons. Avoid a 2 leg commute at all costs. Was DFW based for another year. This was ok although those DFW flights are always absurdly full especially in the summer. As someone pointed out there was a fair amount of FAA guys taking the jump seat. Good thing is you can drive as a backup. 2:45 from the south metro to DFW parking with no traffic.

Last 2 years I was ORD based. Flying wide I found this the easiest. Lots of frequency on 2 different airlines. Also had very early and at the time very late flights. Just didn't have the back up of driving it.Yeah I hate commuting through dfw to OKC. It's pretty binary. It's either perfectly fine or absolute crap. When it goes bad it really goes bad.

From my base I can take a red eye to dfw then ideally a ride to OKC and be home by 9. Yeah it's not worth it.

Bruno82
09-26-2017, 05:52 PM
I commuted to DFW from OKC for 5 years about 5 years ago. The commute wasnít bad at all. If I was worried, I drove and I actually enjoyed driving it at times.

Poser765
09-27-2017, 05:26 AM
I commuted to DFW from OKC for 5 years about 5 years ago. The commute wasnít bad at all. If I was worried, I drove and I actually enjoyed driving it at times.hmm. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

PostalAV8B
09-27-2017, 09:01 AM
Also, Uber from DFW to DAL runs about $25 on average as a backup.

If you have a little extra time, the DART cost $2.50 for a 2 hour pass. Light rail leaves DFW by Terminal A, get off at Love Field Station and jump on bus to Love Field. Reverse route DAL to DFW. Takes a little over an hour.

at6d
09-28-2017, 06:27 AM
If you have a little extra time, the DART cost $2.50 for a 2 hour pass. Light rail leaves DFW by Terminal A, get off at Love Field Station and jump on bus to Love Field. Reverse route DAL to DFW. Takes a little over an hour.

Good option...but at 0430 with a two hour drive to go, that 15 min Uber ride was worth it!

KeithRyden
02-11-2019, 10:36 PM
Any Updates since last post. Looking to move back soon but will be at a regional for a while. Thanks.

Skyward
02-12-2019, 02:58 AM
Some more SWA questions:

Thanks again!

The answers will vary greatly depending on base.

1) For example, BWI is a junior base, and I was able to trade all of my reserve for trips right off the bat as a newbie. I personally like doing 3on/4off but 3 4-day trips is an option for fewer commutes. You’ll be awarded reserve for a few months. The blocks are built in 3 or 4 day blocks with min 15 days off.

2) again, it varies with the base. As a newb, you would have to trade into weekends off. I was able to do that quite regularly, but I was in a junior base.

3) DAL 3-4mo maybe, HOU could be less. Another thing to note... the company will let you do IOE in the base of your choosing and your first full month after IOE will be a hard line.

flysooner9
02-12-2019, 04:26 AM
Any Updates since last post. Looking to move back soon but will be at a regional for a while. Thanks.

Where will you be commuting to?

full of luv
02-12-2019, 07:42 AM

If you have family in OKC, best would be to live North of Dallas and visit family with short drive. Plenty of options from DFW/LUV.

e6bpilot
02-12-2019, 08:02 AM
Where will you be commuting to?

Thatís the million dollar question. OKC is a great commuter airport. BUT, a 2 leg commute is too much for any man to sustain indefinitely. We have at least 2 flights a day to most big airline bases. DTW or MSP would be tough. DFW would be a breeze (6-10 flights a day).

flysooner9
02-13-2019, 03:02 AM
Thatís the million dollar question. OKC is a great commuter airport. BUT, a 2 leg commute is too much for any man to sustain indefinitely. We have at least 2 flights a day to most big airline bases. DTW or MSP would be tough. DFW would be a breeze (6-10 flights a day).

Dfw can honestly be pretty tough sometimes. Lots of AA and Eagle guys doing that commute plus the occasional FAA.

KeithRyden
02-13-2019, 07:52 PM
Havenít decided on what base or carrier to head to. Top 3 under consideration will be dfw, iah, or den. From OKC and the wife is pretty intent on getting back to the Yukon/Mustang area.

at6d
02-14-2019, 05:40 AM
Good luck.

flysooner9
02-14-2019, 06:26 AM
Havenít decided on what base or carrier to head to. Top 3 under consideration will be dfw, iah, or den. From OKC and the wife is pretty intent on getting back to the Yukon/Mustang area.

All 3 are probably the easiest commutes out of Okc. Dfw is nice because you always have the option to drive on the days thereís a massive squall line sitting on the red river.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1