Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Pre class study..

TerrainTerrain
09-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Hi everyone, I have a class date soon!!!

Any advice what to focus on on the pre class study? I just want to make sure I put my time in on things that count.

Thank you so much for the advice, and really can not wait to start!

saab2000
09-20-2017, 09:33 AM
Learn the location of the nearest purveyor of Wild Turkey.

ROFF
09-20-2017, 09:55 AM
Camping, hiking, fishing and family.

That's what I focused on and I did just fine.

slammer1906
09-20-2017, 11:54 AM
Learn the location of the nearest purveyor of Wild Turkey.

Lol........

ZapBrannigan
09-20-2017, 12:22 PM
If you're typed, flows. If you're not typed, lights, switches, and flows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twinjetav8r
09-20-2017, 06:33 PM
What Zap said. You will have to do all the modules in class to get credit. Learn the flows, limitations, lights and switches. I just passed my oral yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

at6d
09-20-2017, 09:40 PM
Good info above. Spend some quality time with family/loved ones before you go to class. You will have plenty of opportunity to train.

Psycho18th
09-21-2017, 12:58 PM
You'll have more time than necessary to train once you get here.

I thought it was useful to peruse the systems videos, but you have to do them all again once you start training.

Once here, practice the flows once a day and you'll be set.

slammer1906
09-22-2017, 10:30 AM
You'll have more time than necessary to train once you get here.

I thought it was useful to peruse the systems videos, but you have to do them all again once you start training.

Once here, practice the flows once a day and you'll be set.

Are you given a manual on systems or just the videos?

Fuseplug
09-22-2017, 10:59 AM
Your EFB will have the FRM (Flight Reference Manual). It's fairly light systems reading compared to what most type rating programs (i.e. Higher Power) would expect you to know, but it covers all the bases.

While I'm all about the K.I.S.S. principle, there've been a couple of times I wished there was a bit more detail in the company-provided literature.

Psycho18th
09-22-2017, 12:21 PM
You get access to the systems CBTs before training. You get the EFB (iPad) on day one or two with all the manuals. Between the CBTs, reading through the FRM a bit, and time in the VPT or IPT (Think flat panel displays and virtual switches, along with active systems diagrams) you'll be over-prepared for the systems oral.

Between chair flying a bit with your sim partner, and time in the IPT, FTD, and Sims, you'll be prepared enough for the type check. Even better now, because all of your sims will be in an NG, so you're not spending half your sims learning an aircraft you'll never fly.

Big Caveat! This is from someone who's only flown single seat fighters in the AF for 20 years. I'm just finishing training, and feel I can fly the hell out of a V-1 cut, hand fly an ILS, and go around if the captain dies at 50' on a CAT-III appch, but that's all. There has been zero training on how to actually get the folks from point A to point B in 121 land. My IOE check airman has his work cut out for him...if he's on this forum, my apologies in advance.

flyguy81
09-22-2017, 12:38 PM
This is from someone who's only flown single seat fighters in the AF for 20 years. I'm just finishing training, and feel I can fly the hell out of a V-1 cut, hand fly an ILS, and go around if the captain dies at 50' on a CAT-III appch, but that's all. There has been zero training on how to actually get the folks from point A to point B in 121 land. My IOE check airman has his work cut out for him...if he's on this forum, my apologies in advance.

Lol. 😂 It's not that bad. Just remember to call ramp at busy airports for push and keep scratch paper handy for taxi instructions if you're not familiar. Other than that it's just a plane...take your time and the rest will fall in place.

Typhoondiver
09-22-2017, 03:43 PM
You get access to the systems CBTs before training. You get the EFB (iPad) on day one or two with all the manuals. Between the CBTs, reading through the FRM a bit, and time in the VPT or IPT (Think flat panel displays and virtual switches, along with active systems diagrams) you'll be over-prepared for the systems oral.

Between chair flying a bit with your sim partner, and time in the IPT, FTD, and Sims, you'll be prepared enough for the type check. Even better now, because all of your sims will be in an NG, so you're not spending half your sims learning an aircraft you'll never fly.

Big Caveat! This is from someone who's only flown single seat fighters in the AF for 20 years. I'm just finishing training, and feel I can fly the hell out of a V-1 cut, hand fly an ILS, and go around if the captain dies at 50' on a CAT-III appch, but that's all. There has been zero training on how to actually get the folks from point A to point B in 121 land. My IOE check airman has his work cut out for him...if he's on this forum, my apologies in advance.

This is exactly how I felt two years ago!
When I cracked the door to my hotel room on day one of IOE I got really scared, because I had no recollection of the day and how I got there. Just keep smiling when the CA tells you to handle the comm with Iceman, the first time you deice. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out that our wifi equipment was not hidden in row 44, but that that was the name of the internet service support company. Or finally make it in and out of Atlanta without messing up the Comms too bad while on taxiway dixi. It's all a humbling experience after flying fighters, but everybody was very supportive and understood my growing pains. It just takes a while to get enough exposure to the more complex airports. My buddy and I (both fighter background) felt like it took about 8 weeks to get back in the comfort zone. Thats when you turn the airplane in ten minutes and actually get a good break inbetween flights.
Bottom line is hang in there and it sounds like you have the right attitude!
And my sim partner and I learned to fly awesome CATIII aporoaches😂 in Initial training. The CA must have died 20 times right at minimums. Good Luck!

Riverside
09-22-2017, 04:20 PM

Any advice what to focus on on the pre class study? I just want to make sure I put my time in on things that count.

Take it that this is your first part 121 gig. Like everyone else said, sit back and relax.

Boeing7
09-24-2017, 02:08 PM

Used the guys at 1Step (www.1stepprep.com)
Felt ready for my oral in 2 days

Triple
09-24-2017, 02:17 PM
Used the guys at 1Step (www.1stepprep.com)
Felt ready for my oral in 2 days

+1 Used them for Airbus studies and had nothing but a good experience with them.

V169
09-24-2017, 06:23 PM
Seeing as many of the instructors at the training center have never been on the line flying a SWA 737 it's a good thing they're not trying to teach you how to do it in the sim. Not sure about the other airlines but United lets line pilots bid to work as training center instructors and they even get go out and fly one trip a month but that costs $$$ that SWA has never been willing to spend.

Bottom line is that what used to be the "admin" part of the mission is now where 99% of the workload occurs. Initially you'll be doing a "first-run attack" on every leg but after a while it will be just another run to the range where some targets take a couple of passes to score a "shack" at every time.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1