Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Logbook / Doc check question

BarrySeal
09-24-2017, 10:53 AM
Hello

Looking for fresh intel on the logbook and docs check at interview. What does it consist of ? Thank You

at6d
09-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Pilot certificates, medical, FCC radio.

Logbook review cross checks your application and resume. Do your times add up? Do you meet the mins? Does your logbook look like dog******? Is it current?

Basic stuff they can look at and have a conversation about.

They will ask for a five year lookback.

SINCE
09-24-2017, 03:18 PM
They want to see 6 month, 12 month, 2 year, 3 year and 5 year totals. I printed up some summaries from my eLog and they were happy with that. Also be ready for some TMAAT and why SWA questions during your logbook review.

DirectenterNAV
09-26-2017, 09:58 AM
When you got the call for an interview, did you continue to update flight times on pilotcredentials so your application/log/resume all showed the same time?

Skyward
09-26-2017, 01:29 PM
When you got the call for an interview, did you continue to update flight times on pilotcredentials so your application/log/resume all showed the same time?

Continuing to update is fine, just make sure that your last update matches your logbook and resume that you take to the interview.

Smooth at FL450
09-26-2017, 02:04 PM

I locked all my times down on PilotCredentials and logbook 2 weeks prior to my interview so that those last couple weeks of prep was could be spent focused on other tasks.

Skyward
09-26-2017, 02:12 PM
I locked all my times down on PilotCredentials and logbook 2 weeks prior to my interview so that those last couple weeks of prep was could be spent focused on other tasks.

Not a bad idea. Having them accurate and matching is what's important.

Bizkit
09-29-2017, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=at6d;2435355]Pilot certificates, medical, FCC radio.

On the FCC radio permit, do you need an actual card or is the print-out from the FCC good enough? They never sent me a card when I originally go the permit, may need to give them a call.

at6d
09-29-2017, 05:14 PM
I can't answer that question, but I would think the real deal is what you would need to prove it.

I've never had to show it to an international agency, but hopefully we can get you an answer.

Psycho18th
09-30-2017, 04:59 AM
[QUOTE=at6d;2435355]Pilot certificates, medical, FCC radio.

On the FCC radio permit, do you need an actual card or is the print-out from the FCC good enough? They never sent me a card when I originally go the permit, may need to give them a call.
They don't send you a card anymore. You have to print out the card yourself.

apu4eva
10-01-2017, 03:23 PM
They want to see 6 month, 12 month, 2 year, 3 year and 5 year totals. I printed up some summaries from my eLog and they were happy with that. Also be ready for some TMAAT and why SWA questions during your logbook review.
What kind of summaries did you print? Do they tell you (PIC, Turbine etc.)?

SINCE
10-03-2017, 05:39 PM
What kind of summaries did you print? Do they tell you (PIC, Turbine etc.)?

All they really want is your total time for each of those timeframes. And all your totals need to match. I use logten pro and just printed up the “summary by month” option on my Mac.

Das Auto
10-05-2017, 06:42 AM
The totals on my resume and pilot credentials were off by 87 hours. The reason for the difference was my "dual received" time. When I was training for my ppl and multi engine I was neither PIC or SIC, I was a student under instruction.

Should I just list these hours in the SIC column?

I apologize if this question has been answered elsewhere.

Thanks.

2strokin
10-05-2017, 07:27 AM
The totals on my resume and pilot credentials were off by 87 hours. The reason for the difference was my "dual received" time. When I was training for my ppl and multi engine I was neither PIC or SIC, I was a student under instruction.

Should I just list these hours in the SIC column?

I apologize if this question has been answered elsewhere.

Thanks.

Yes, log it in SIC column and note it in the aircraft type section. I listed the aircraft flown and then put "dual received logged in SIC column"

Das Auto
10-05-2017, 07:31 AM
Yes, log it in SIC column and note it in the aircraft type section. I listed the aircraft flown and then put "dual received logged in SIC column"

Excellent. Thank you.

Das Auto
10-05-2017, 08:55 AM
If you're a line check airman, would you log the time you spend with a new hire on IOE as "instructor hours" or is that just referring to the time you spent teaching lazy 8's in a Cessna, or instructing in a simulator?

at6d
10-05-2017, 09:30 AM
I would log it as PIC only.

Champeen07
10-06-2017, 11:51 PM
Question about what they want to see in your logbook as far as turbine PIC. I understand that they do not count "sole manipulator" time as PIC time, even if you are PIC typed and rated. My question is, what if your first few hundred hours of TPIC are sole manipulator time in a two crew required airplane, and then the rest is actual PIC time after an upgrade. How do they view that? And would they want to see that differentiated somehow?

Sqwk7700
10-07-2017, 03:10 AM
Question about what they want to see in your logbook as far as turbine PIC. I understand that they do not count "sole manipulator" time as PIC time, even if you are PIC typed and rated. My question is, what if your first few hundred hours of TPIC are sole manipulator time in a two crew required airplane, and then the rest is actual PIC time after an upgrade. How do they view that? And would they want to see that differentiated somehow?

The first few hundred of sole manipulator would be listed as SIC.

Champeen07
10-07-2017, 04:21 AM
The first few hundred of sole manipulator would be listed as SIC.

How do you think they would like to see that fixed in the logbook if its been recorded as PIC and TPIC? Obviously it would have to be subtracted from the PIC column and added to the SIC column.

at6d
10-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Single line item making the correction would be my choice.

Sqwk7700
10-07-2017, 06:13 PM
How do you think they would like to see that fixed in the logbook if its been recorded as PIC and TPIC? Obviously it would have to be subtracted from the PIC column and added to the SIC column.

I'd probably make a single line correction. If your logbook is electronic, just go through and make the changes on each entry.

Champeen07
10-07-2017, 10:24 PM
Got it. Thanks for the replies

MOGuy
10-08-2017, 02:53 AM
How bout this. Airline apps says you can group all you single engine piston and multi engine piston into two total group hours. PC has a selection to do "single piston" and "multi piston".

Currently I have all my single piston totals in one column and multi piston totals in another ...but does SW want to see each and every individual aircraft make/model listed out like FedEx PC?

Thanks!

Twinjetav8r
10-09-2017, 03:55 AM
If you're a line check airman, would you log the time you spend with a new hire on IOE as "instructor hours" or is that just referring to the time you spent teaching lazy 8's in a Cessna, or instructing in a simulator?

I didn't put mine as instructor time. They guys asked if I did. He said they would have accepted it if I did. I said I didn't need any more instructor time in my logbook. [emoji12].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhistleBlwr
10-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Assuming you have plenty of time above the minimums, the big thing on the logbook review is don't get defensive or turn into a raging a-hole if you are questioned on something.
It's as much a personality check as any other part of the interview.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PowerShift
10-10-2017, 08:09 PM
I adjusted my total turbine -150 hrs to account for the "PIC did you sign for the aircraft" rule. I was typed, sitting left seat, but not the PIC. Made a note, referenced why, and put a sticky noting so.

My logbook was neat, orderly and had sticky tabs with notes so finding the benchmark items they ask for was as simple as looking at the external tab and opening the book at that tab. I used a yellow highlighter to highlight a line or time referenced. 5 logbooks and 10K hours. I labeled each book, 1,2,3 etc. I also typed up a cover letter stating how my times were calculated and renconciled I.e ASEL + AMEL + SIM time = Total Time.

I used excel to make a table for the last 3 years. The row should just be the same tally row from your logbook. Add up each year into a single line. Do this for 3 years, (3 lines). The 4th line at the bottom is the sum of the 3 lines (years).

This give you 3 lines (totals for each respective year.
The 4th line is the last 3 year total.

2015. AMEL ASEL Turbine PIC SIC SIM Total Time
5 1 5 6 0 0. 6
2016. AMEL ASEL Turbine PIC SIC SIM Total Time
5 1 5 6 0 0. 6
2017 AMEL ASEL Turbine PIC SIC SIM Total Time
5 1 5 6 0 0. 6

3 year AMEL ASEL Turbine PIC SIC SIM Total Time
Total 15 3. 15. 18. 0. 0. 18

My logbook review went like this. "I have no questions about your logbook". "So why do you want to work at SWA""?

Your logbook will be reviewed well before you sit in front of someone.
Prepare your material so it can be presented to someone for review without you sitting there having to "walk" them through it. If you have to spend your 20 minutes explaining your math and flipping pages to find something you did not read the directions. If something does need to be explained, then take a minute to do so, or they will ask.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1