Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Age Waivers?

Lagoon
09-25-2017, 07:22 AM
Which branch is currently offering age waivers for individuals over the age of 35?

Are the waivers handled on a case by case basis? If so, what’s the criteria under consideration?

I currently hold a single engine land instrument rating and would like to establish a career as a pilot in the military.

Thanks.

rickair7777
09-25-2017, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure I've ever heard of waivers beyond 35.

If it's even possible, it will be army helos. But you'rere probably SOL.

Lagoon
09-25-2017, 03:38 PM
Army helos sounds good. I hear there’s a serious pilot shortage. I would think they’d change the requirements. But you don’t think so?

Otterbox
09-25-2017, 09:09 PM
Army helos sounds good. I hear there’s a serious pilot shortage. I would think they’d change the requirements. But you don’t think so?

Nothing in the Military happens that quick...

rickair7777
09-25-2017, 09:36 PM

If they're going to invest in you, they need you to be healthy enough to fly after 20-25+ years of abuse. Age 35 is really pushing that....

The military has no shortage of pilot applicants at all, they have a shortage of people willing to stay in when the airlines are hiring. That cannot be solved by hiring more entry-level pilots, military aviation is a hierarchical endeavor, they need varied levels of experience throughout the organization.

A senior pilot can substitute for a junior pilot, but a 1st Lt cannot do a Colonel's job.

Vincent Chase
09-26-2017, 03:33 AM
A senior pilot can substitute for a junior pilot, but a 1st Lt cannot do a Colonel's job.

...at a desk. In the air, I'd disagree!

tomgoodman
09-26-2017, 06:04 AM
...at a desk. In the air, I'd disagree!

Quote from Red Flag:

“Youth and skill are no match for age and treachery.” :p

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1