Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Marriott Rewards?

Slop
09-25-2017, 11:34 AM
Hey folks,

I recently signed up for the Marriott Rewards VISA, and Iím curious if Marriott gives credits for stays even though my airline contracted the room? If not, is there a way to achieve gold status while on the road for the company? I thought I heard somewhere that if I bought something (anything) from the hotel, I would get credit for the stay. Is there any truth to this? Is there anything else I should know about the Marriott Visa?

Thanks in advance!

Hossharris
09-25-2017, 12:38 PM
You can get spg gold (which is also Marriott gold) and Hilton gold with a platinum Amex card.

You get zero Marriott points for your stay, but if you spend money and charge it to your room (and settle up before you leave) you get points for the money spent only.

Itís hard to rack up points that way unless youíre obese or an alcoholic.

galaxy flyer
09-25-2017, 12:40 PM
750 nights and 1 million points earned and lifetime Platinum Marriott status! IIRC, Missed by not much, not enough nights, but plenty of points

GF

Slop
09-25-2017, 12:50 PM
You get zero Marriott points for your stay, but if you spend money and charge it to your room (and settle up before you leave) you get points for the money spent only.

But no stay credit with money spent?

Slop
09-25-2017, 12:55 PM
You can get spg gold (which is also Marriott gold) and Hilton gold with a platinum Amex card.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that guaranteed gold status is only for the first year of having the card. Then you have to earn it like everyone else.

Hossharris
09-25-2017, 02:24 PM
No time limit to my knowledge.

pilot772
09-25-2017, 02:29 PM
Depends on the hotel. We have several locations (domestic and intl) that give stay credit for charging. A few more that actually give the points for the stay. All have honored status for lounges, premium internet, etc from my experience.

IDIOTPILOT
09-25-2017, 02:30 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that guaranteed gold status is only for the first year of having the card. Then you have to earn it like everyone else.

You get gold year after year but have to keep paying any annual fee on the card. If you're doing a status match with a different hotel brand, then there's usually a time limit.

Smooth at FL450
09-25-2017, 02:34 PM
750 nights and 1 million points earned and lifetime Platinum Marriott status! IIRC, Missed by not much, not enough nights, but plenty of points

GF

I think it's 750 nights and 2 million points...

Slop
09-25-2017, 04:10 PM
You get gold year after year but have to keep paying any annual fee on the card. If you're doing a status match with a different hotel brand, then there's usually a time limit.

Thatís probably what I was thinking of. Well dang, it seems like I may have chosen poorly. Those next 34 nights might prove to be difficult to attain if none of the properties will credit the stays. I just want gold status for the lounges honestly. I spend enough time in Marriotts, I would like to enjoy their perks. Iím already a Hilton gold member and they donít give me sh*t for being a gold member if Iím on an airline contract rate.

Smooth at FL450
09-25-2017, 04:49 PM
More often than not, my status is recognized at both Hilton and Marriott properties. But the San Diego Bayside Sheraton and MKE downtown Hilton don't, and will not get a penny of my money spent on personal travel.

freezingflyboy
09-25-2017, 05:19 PM
Honestly, I've been pretty disappointed in the Marriott lounges of late. Last one I was at had some cheese cubes and a veggie tray. Only beverage options were soft drinks and juices. That was it. No beer, no wine. Pretty poor showing in my opinion.

Al Czervik
09-25-2017, 06:08 PM

That covers a lot of guys.

Tenacvols
09-25-2017, 06:35 PM
Thatís probably what I was thinking of. Well dang, it seems like I may have chosen poorly. Those next 34 nights might prove to be difficult to attain if none of the properties will credit the stays. I just want gold status for the lounges honestly. I spend enough time in Marriotts, I would like to enjoy their perks. Iím already a Hilton gold member and they donít give me sh*t for being a gold member if Iím on an airline contract rate.

You can get night credit stays for everyday charges on the card. Not sure what the ratio is..

tinman1
09-25-2017, 07:21 PM
You can get spg gold (which is also Marriott gold)

Yes and no. You get complimentary SPG gold which Marriott matches when you link your accounts, however spg and Marriott are still two separate rewards numbers.

rayburton72
09-26-2017, 10:12 AM

Not true.

Gold status with Marriott, Hilton and SPG so long as you hold an AMEX Platinum card. (You just have to renew it each year through the AMEX website - no cost)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

puddlejumper
09-27-2017, 06:16 AM
You can get night credit stays for everyday charges on the card. Not sure what the ratio is..For the Chase Marriott Rewards card, for every $3000 charged you get one night's stay credit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Vincent Chase
09-27-2017, 09:06 AM
For the Chase Marriott Rewards card, for every $3000 charged you get one night's stay credit.

Umm, I think you're wrong there. I have the card. It's more like for every $30,000. As in THIRTY THOUSAND dollars, not $3k.

Ask me how I know...

puddlejumper
09-27-2017, 11:44 AM
I'm sure there are different deals for different cards. I pay the $79 annual fee and get a free stay (cat 1-5) every year on my anniversary too. You may have "reward stay" and a "stay credit" confused. Yes, you need between 9000 and 75000 points in order to redeem for a free night (reward stay). Every $3000 you charge to the card, your account shows as if you have stayed at a Marriott property and that counts towards your status, gold or platinum...

RI830
09-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Marriott is very stingy about allowing night or point credits when staying in a contract rate. Not sure what the OP is reaching for exactly beside points or elite quals. The quickest way to lifetime elite status is working the point promotions over the 750 nights stayed.

A wise man once told me......its better to be Platinum Elite with my wife than with Marriott!!

As for free beer....you won't find free liquor at a US Marriott. You have to venture overseas before you can run into free hooch.

Slop
09-28-2017, 07:34 AM
Thanks for everyone’s input. I’m really just after Marriott gold status. So however I can get there fastest with either points or stay credits on airline contracts is my goal. Sounds like I’ll have to ask each individual property if they give stay credits or points.

RI830
09-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Thanks for everyone’s input. I’m really just after Marriott gold status. So however I can get there fastest with either points or stay credits on airline contracts is my goal. Sounds like I’ll have to ask each individual property if they give stay credits or points.

You may be able to get the night stay credit as it doesn't really cost the hotel anything for that, but points for the night stayed won't happen on the crew/contract rate.

What I would do is after check in at your next Marriott property, go to the front desk and ask for them to put your Marriott number on the room. Then watch your online Acct and see if gives you credit for the stay.

MiLa
09-28-2017, 08:45 AM
The Ritz Carlton card is very popular among the international pilots at UAL. Instant gold status at Marriott as well as access to Priority Club airport lounges. Doesn't include the domestic carriers but most of the foreign carrier lounges are included. This can be huge for a commuter depending on what lounges are available at the airport you commute to. Also I think by signing up you can get 2 nights at Ritz Carlton. All points earned can be used at Marriott and now I believe SPG. There is a steep anual fee of $450 but you can get $300 of that back if you use it for travel related expenses. I.e. Global entry, airline tickets including ZED fares, rental cars etc.... you just show them the charge and they give you a statement credit. So if you have those kinds of expenses the annual fee becomes $150.

dc10guy
09-28-2017, 08:56 AM
The Ritz Carlton card is very popular among the international pilots at UAL. Instant gold status at Marriott as well as access to Priority Club airport lounges. Doesn't include the domestic carriers but most of the foreign carrier lounges are included. This can be huge for a commuter depending on what lounges are available at the airport you commute to. Also I think by signing up you can get 2 nights at Ritz Carlton. All points earned can be used at Marriott and now I believe SPG. There is a steep anual fee of $450 but you can get $300 of that back if you use it for travel related expenses. I.e. Global entry, airline tickets including ZED fares, rental cars etc.... you just show them the charge and they give you a statement credit. So if you have those kinds of expenses the annual fee becomes $150.

Thought you had to spend $10000 on the card after the first year to keep gold status.

e6bpilot
09-28-2017, 01:42 PM
Amex Platinum is pricey at $525 or whatever it just went up to, but you get Hilton, SPG, and Marriott gold, Priority Pass and Centurion lounges, and $200 in airline credit every year. There is no minimum stay or spend.
That alone makes it worth it for me. I probably get one or two free nights of lounge access a month which I can usually parlay into 2 meals each plus I use the airport lounges when I commute. I figure itís probably a break even proposition as far as food and booze is concerned.
We also use it to pay a lot of our bills and travel and cash in the points for a couple of airline tickets and various gift cards.

Hossharris
09-28-2017, 02:51 PM
You also get global entry, $200 for uber and a few other bennies.

Amex Platinum is the way to go.

Hilltopper89
09-28-2017, 05:01 PM

IMO it'll be a LONG time to get gold (if ever) if you don't stay outside of airline contracts. I think you're confusing stay credit and nights. You'll get a stay credit for spending a nickel but most won't give you any credit for nights. I'm a commuter and been Marriott rewards with the Cc for about a year and am at 45 nights which includes 6 nights staying outside of commuting. Outside BQN the Renaissance Orlando (where we don't stay any more) I don't know of any that'll give you a night credit. I'm sure there are more.

Btw...the Marriott DSM lounge had free beer and wine in the club last I stayed.

Otters
09-28-2017, 05:16 PM
Thanks for everyoneís input. Iím really just after Marriott gold status. So however I can get there fastest with either points or stay credits on airline contracts is my goal. Sounds like Iíll have to ask each individual property if they give stay credits or points.

Here's a little more information that may or may not help. From my previous job I attained platinum. So I was getting different information on stays.
1. When someone else pays for the room(airline) you do not get a nights credit. I have heard of people getting around this occasionally with Marriott's that are independently owned. I cannot confirm or deny these rumors. I always give my platinum number when I check in just in case, but have never personally seen a room credit.
2. I have a Marriott CC by chase. I get a 15 night credit each year to start my year and a free room or two(can't remember).
3. A couple of years ago Marriott stopped giving points(which could be a lot when you stayed) when using a travel discount. The stays still clicked in but those points could really add up for free nights.

Regards

Hossharris
09-28-2017, 07:08 PM
Anything that gives you spg gold will turn into Marriott gold.

Pick the credit card that works for your situation.

RomeoHotel
09-29-2017, 05:34 AM
I have had the Marriott rewards number for a long time and have given up on the idea that I will receive any credit while staying as a crewmember. Gaining points via the Chase Marriott with 1 dollar spent equaling 1 point was a slow way to earn a nights stay. The annual fee was only worthwhile because you received a "free" night.
As for amenities at the Marriott, I can't say that I ever saw any type of club room happy hour or breakfast.

Last year I tried the Hilton honors program and noticed a different level of treatment at the hotels. There was almost always an Honors club breakfast and happy hour and I occasionally received credit for stays. The offers from AmEx (regular and Surpass) allow for a quick 150,000 points and gold status. When it comes to point redemption I think the programs are comparable but I do have a preference for the Hilton chain and especially the Hampton when traveling with my kids.

Maybe I'm missing something here. What does the value of gold status get you in the Marriott club..? If they have teamed up with the SPG (Sheraton) I can see where there may be some benefit. I believe the Sheraton's do often have club room breakfast and evening options.

e6bpilot
09-29-2017, 06:32 AM
I have had the Marriott rewards number for a long time and have given up on the idea that I will receive any credit while staying as a crewmember. Gaining points via the Chase Marriott with 1 dollar spent equaling 1 point was a slow way to earn a nights stay. The annual fee was only worthwhile because you received a "free" night.
As for amenities at the Marriott, I can't say that I ever saw any type of club room happy hour or breakfast.

Last year I tried the Hilton honors program and noticed a different level of treatment at the hotels. There was almost always an Honors club breakfast and happy hour and I occasionally received credit for stays. The offers from AmEx (regular and Surpass) allow for a quick 150,000 points and gold status. When it comes to point redemption I think the programs are comparable but I do have a preference for the Hilton chain and especially the Hampton when traveling with my kids.

Maybe I'm missing something here. What does the value of gold status get you in the Marriott club..? If they have teamed up with the SPG (Sheraton) I can see where there may be some benefit. I believe the Sheraton's do often have club room breakfast and evening options.

Marriotts have always given me lounge access or free breakfast when the lounge is closed. On one Manhattan overnight where the lounge was open all day until late, this probably saved me $100. I get points for room charges and stay credits too, but those add up slowly.
Hiltons are hit or miss. I usually get lounge access, but they are stingy with stay credits and sometimes wonít give me points for my charges and say that I have to send in my receipts to customer service.
SPG you have to be platinum to access the lounge. They also have never given me points for charges or any stay credits.
I like putting my amex down for charges since when you do get points, you double dip and get Amex points too. When you are planning a vacation or stay somewhere, you can just transfer Amex into the rewards program of your choice.

dc10guy
09-29-2017, 11:45 AM

What does Hilton gold give you? I did not see lounges access.

freezingflyboy
09-29-2017, 11:49 AM
Personally, I quit chasing points and stay credits a decade ago when the hotels started getting markedly more stingy about it and free Wi-Fi became standard in airline hotel contracts. Just get a credit card that gives you lounge access or some benefit you prefer (Amex probably has the best deals) and use hotels.com to book your stays. Every 10 nights you book, you get a free night. Period. No loyalty to one brand or program required. Nothing to chase or keep track of. Nothing to bug the front desk about and hold up the check-in process for those behind you. No being beholden to the bar or restaurant in the hotel just to get your points. I've always found the quality of most hotel lounges and perks to be decidedly "meh" so that doesn't hold much sway for me but I get the appeal for the more penny-pinching types.

RomeoHotel
09-29-2017, 02:19 PM
What does Hilton gold give you? I did not see lounges access.

Access to the Hilton Honors lounge in the evening and breakfast in the morning. The quality of the evening and morning amenities vary by hotel. SF Hilton in Union Square offers nothing. There is no complimentary alcohol anywhere I have been.
The O'Hare Hilton connected to the terminal has an awesome breakfast buffet but has nothing at all in the evening...

jumppilot
10-09-2017, 04:26 AM
I'm chasing Marriott Platinum for life and enjoying Gold status while I do it.

1) Ritz Carlton Card - I use it yearly until I spend $10,000, which gets you gold status. It has a $395 annual fee but $300 of that can be spent on different travel items (Any purchase on board, baggage fees, ID 90 fees, airport lounge purchase, etc) which they reimburse you for. Effective annual fee $95

2) once I spend $10,000 I switch to the Marriott Rewards Visa. Every $3,000 gives you a night stay credit which counts towards lifetime status.

I started with the card in 2007 and have 600,000 lifetime points and 337 lifetime stay credits. Most of those credits are from the card.

As a previous poster said, domestic Marriott lounges are decent but basic. International is where you get your money back.

Wise road warrior once said, "the best time to start the lifetime status journey was 20 years ago, the next best time is today."

RomeoHotel
10-09-2017, 12:32 PM
I'm chasing Marriott Platinum for life and enjoying Gold status while I do it.

1) Ritz Carlton Card - I use it yearly until I spend $10,000, which gets you gold status. It has a $395 annual fee but $300 of that can be spent on different travel items (Any purchase on board, baggage fees, ID 90 fees, airport lounge purchase, etc) which they reimburse you for. Effective annual fee $95

2) once I spend $10,000 I switch to the Marriott Rewards Visa. Every $3,000 gives you a night stay credit which counts towards lifetime status.

I started with the card in 2007 and have 600,000 lifetime points and 337 lifetime stay credits. Most of those credits are from the card.

As a previous poster said, domestic Marriott lounges are decent but basic. International is where you get your money back.

Wise road warrior once said, "the best time to start the lifetime status journey was 20 years ago, the next best time is today."

I have the Marriott Rewards Visa and I was not aware of the credit for a free night stay for each $3000 spent....
I do receive the annual free night when I pay my annual fee but that's a wash....

Is there something about the gold status that enables the
$3000=free stay ....I can't find it listed in the award terms...

I just realized that you may mean "stay credit" as in credit as though you have spent the night at the hotel...

jumppilot
10-09-2017, 02:22 PM
I have the Marriott Rewards Visa and I was not aware of the credit for a free night stay for each $3000 spent....
I do receive the annual free night when I pay my annual fee but that's a wash....

Is there something about the gold status that enables the
$3000=free stay ....I can't find it listed in the award terms...

I just realized that you may mean "stay credit" as in credit as though you have spent the night at the hotel...

Yeah, as you said it's just a stay credit that counts for status purposes.

"Earn one (1) credit toward Elite Status for every $3,000 you spend."

https://creditcards.chase.com/marriott/cardmember/premier_benefits/elite_status

SonicFlyer
10-09-2017, 06:38 PM
Chase Sapphire Preferred takes 6% of your monthly purchases and converts them to points on travel. If you want to spend your points on cash it is only 1% which is a rip off. But it is a real good deal if you travel. I have a few dozen hotel nights free available anytime I want because of it.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1