Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Over the Poles Flight

Donatello1968
09-28-2017, 10:44 AM
I had a question, and I would like to know if you could help me.

....back in October 1977, Pan Am flight 50 flew from SFO to LWT to CPT to AUCKLAND and back to SFO

They did it in 54 hours and 7 minutes.

If that flight on the same route, over both Poles, was to take place today, on a commercial airliner, which aircraft would be the most efficient to do it, and, could it make in less time?

Thank you very much

Jose

joepilot
09-28-2017, 11:21 AM
Boeing 787. Some might quibble about the meaning of efficiency here, but the -800 would use less fuel, while the -900 would generate lower cost ASMs.

Joe

PerfInit
09-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Gotta run them IRU's in "TRUE" versus Mag and don't forget to monitor your fuel temps. "Fuel Freeze" is an issue for long flights over the poles.

galaxy flyer
09-29-2017, 03:23 PM
Does the 787 have fuel recirculyion to send warmed fuel back to the tanks? Worked great on the Global.

gf

joepilot
10-06-2017, 07:29 PM
Gotta run them IRU's in "TRUE" versus Mag and don't forget to monitor your fuel temps. "Fuel Freeze" is an issue for long flights over the poles.

Actually, all IRS and GPS units only think in True. They can display Magnetic if the pilot chooses by consulting an internal database of Lat Long magnetic variation.

On the 747-400, if you left the Mag/True switch in Mag, the display switched over to true automatically at around 80 North while heading north, and then switched back to Mag when you got back down to around 80 North on the southbound leg.

Joe

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1