Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Phx

Citation X
09-30-2017, 08:35 AM
I live in smf......anybody believe Compass will start doing Phx-Smf nonstops. Right now I have to go through lax or slc to get down there. I was hoping that with the Phx maybe they would start doing nonstops....thanks!!

The new guy
09-30-2017, 08:52 AM
I live in smf......anybody believe Compass will start doing Phx-Smf nonstops. Right now I have to go through lax or slc to get down there. I was hoping that with the Phx maybe they would start doing nonstops....thanks!!

Highly unlikely PHX is an outstation base so all the flying will go through a Delta Hub such as SLC, SEA, or LAX. Delta does very few point to point routes.

VIRotate
09-30-2017, 09:29 AM
Wouldn’t LAX be a much better base if you live in SMF? Easy commute.

JetDoc
09-30-2017, 11:10 AM
Seven daily departures SMF-PHX. Three on AA, four on Southwest.

PositveRate
09-30-2017, 11:19 AM
All the commuters normally do SMF-LAX.
Very little commuters on SMF-PHX. Southwest guys all live in base, and AA guys are the old Am. West. They all live in base damn near with an exception to a few.

AA does a 737 1 time and a 321 2 times a day with 2 jumpseats. It's not a hard commute. Just about a 25 min longer flight.

Citation X
09-30-2017, 11:28 AM
Looking like sea will be just as easy of a commute as lax from smf

PositveRate
09-30-2017, 12:44 PM
It may be easy, but less frequency of flights.

SMF-LAX - 16-18 (Depending on the day)

SMF-SEA - 11-12 (depending on the day)

LAX has served me well because it has the most flights and compass does half of those departures on 2 different carriers. Southwest is always a back up especially with having to truck it to the eagles nest if you have a AA trip.

sMFer
09-30-2017, 05:01 PM

No. We won't be doing that route. PHX is a base for our DL flying. Mesa in the past did a few SMF-PHX legs on a -900 for AA (or on the 9 as an OO guy told me), but that's a rarity they did in the slow season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TBirdie
10-08-2017, 05:38 AM

I'm commuting SMF to LAX and it's super easy. United, Delta, American, and Southwest all have a direct flight down there. The HUGE negative is that SMF will not give me an employee parking pass. Because our company ID's don't show the wording "Delta Connection" on them, they say we "don't fly for Delta Connection." The lady has a stick up her ..., she knows that we fly out of SMF, I have sent her an abundance of proof that we are "Delta Connection" and have explained that there is no "Delta Connection" company that has pilots on the payroll. The chief pilots said they can't do anything. Right now I'm working on getting the actual policy about the ID's changed. At SMF there is no other place to get a monthly parking pass. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to it! But that is a huge negative to commuting out of SMF...

Citation X
10-08-2017, 06:54 AM
That is a negative, my wife will probably get pretty sick of driving me to
And from the airport. I do live in the Landpark area so only about a 15 min drive but those Uber bills rack up fast

Citation X
10-08-2017, 07:08 AM
Is Phx looking like a possibility for an fng starting orientation Oct. 12th? Thanks

JetDoc
10-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Is Phx looking like a possibility for an fng starting orientation Oct. 12th? Thanks

Junior FO on the vacancy bid for PHX is a 11/22/16 hire so doubtful right out of the gate. Depending on how they grow the base thought you never know. Remember, you can't hold it if you don't bid it. Stranger things have happened. Good luck.

Citation X
10-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Well then looks like I will try Seattle out of the gate and keep bidding Phx until it happens

VIRotate
10-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Well then looks like I will try Seattle out of the gate and keep bidding Phx until it happens

Also we stopped hiring after December, so it's really not that senior. Probably can hold it in 6 months.

Citation X
10-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Awesome, thanks.....anyone have any idea how long it could possibly take to hold a line in sea?

poorflyer
10-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Awesome, thanks.....anyone have any idea how long it could possibly take to hold a line in sea?

Aren't you in SMF? Why not bid LAX?

Citation X
10-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Yes I am, however I have a place not far from the airport in Seattle. I would bid lax if I could make the commuter hotel thing work while on reserve, but it seems as though while on reserve that would be a tough proposition.

poorflyer
10-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Yes I am, however I have a place not far from the airport in Seattle. I would bid lax if I could make the commuter hotel thing work while on reserve, but it seems as though while on reserve that would be a tough proposition.

Ahhh gotcha

NeverFlexTO
10-08-2017, 06:10 PM

Hard to say we have people that have been on reserve there for a year, but it's starting to move down

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-08-2017, 06:29 PM
I would just watch the vacancies and awards, my guess is there will be a big reshuffle here because usually people bid LA just to have a line sooner and wait until they can get a line in Seattle, but with the base growing, and PHX, I think everyone will have a chance to go where they actually want to be and have good movement. If there is a big exodus from LA to the other bases, then you might get a line sooner down south. If you can hold a line in both SEA AND LAX then consider the small advantage of having AA benefits for LAX crews, plus our pass rider policy is better on Compass Eagle planes (minus the first class issue) and we can have a travel companion on AA- some nice perks not afforded by Delta .

Btw y'all, you can list for AA and when you check in, get on the upgrade list at the ticket counter outside security, a bit of a hassle but could get you a spot up front if you think it will be open.

EuroMexPilot
10-11-2017, 07:04 AM
Btw y'all, you can list for AA and when you check in, get on the upgrade list at the ticket counter outside security, a bit of a hassle but could get you a spot up front if you think it will be open.

Really? Anything special you have to tell them? I have had zero luck getting listed on in first. Ironically, my pass rider on AA gets it all the time from his outstation, but I chalk that up to the fact that he uses to work at that airport and knows the staff. He doesn't get it at any other station.

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Just say hey I'm a non rev and need to check in and get on the upgrade list. They will look you up and be like "oh weird, you are listed for main cabin and couldn't check in?" and then be like, "yeah, not sure what happened there"

EuroMexPilot
10-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Just say hey I'm a non rev and need to check in and get on the upgrade list. They will look you up and be like "oh weird, you are listed for main cabin and couldn't check in?" and then be like, "yeah, not sure what happened there"

Everytime I try at the counter they want to check me in as ZED and then tell me ZEDs aren't eligible for upgrade.
It's always a huge mess so I've just been using the kiosks.
Wish it could be as seamless as DL.

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-11-2017, 06:53 PM
Oh hmm, I've done it 3 or 4 times without a hitch. You're going to the ticketing counter right? Outside security? Must depend on who you get?? I just say I work for eagle and our system doesn't let us list for 1st or check in on our own..

Patrickc
10-14-2017, 03:18 AM
Highly unlikely PHX is an outstation base so all the flying will go through a Delta Hub such as SLC, SEA, or LAX. Delta does very few point to point routes.

Does compass do most of their flying under delta connection?

Poser765
10-14-2017, 04:50 AM
Does compass do most of their flying under delta connection?Accounting for all of our bases I'd say yes, slightly more Delta flying than AA. In SEA it's all Delta, and in LAX it's pretty evenly split between Delta and AA.

GearUpHeadDown
10-14-2017, 10:42 PM
You have been analyzing every damn regional forever now. Just pick one and go with it or you'll never do anything. You must be an engineer-type.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1