Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Atlanta United
10-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Has anyone here at Airline Pilot Central been contacted by UPS or anyone else seeking information on this?

"The company is also seeking information about people who posted on another internet site, airlinepilotcentral.com , with the user names 'Commando,' 'UPSet,' and 'nightrider.'" ~ The Associated Press

Full story: https://apnews.com/b9faf5a529d845cabbda3397fbcd0f2a/UPS-aims-to-solve-mystery-surrounding-its-business-plans

Jetjok
10-06-2017, 03:53 PM
This looks to be serious, but I was especially taken by the last sentence of the aforementioned article, which said: "There are no plans to pursue criminal charges, Gaut said, adding that the company’s goal is to find out who posted the information." If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

That said, I hope the IPA doesn't give in to the company's demands, and that whoever posted that information goes to church, often.

BrownLeaks
10-06-2017, 04:28 PM
Nothing to see here. Scroll along.

birdstrike
10-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Scrubbing their hard drives fast enough to give Hillary a run for her money! :eek:

FTFF
10-07-2017, 06:36 AM
While I know better to get myself involved in this in any way, shape, or form, I would be remiss if I didn't comment. If you are a new hire or a prospective pilot and want to explore the brown shades of UPS's true colors, take a big whiff. Though it's obvious some guys acted with poor judgement / made foolish mistakes, out of ALL the ways the company could have chose to deal with the situation, THIS is how they decided. No doubt it's an opening gambit of what's to be a multi-move game, and while the game itself is part of a larger chess game the company is playing against the IPA, I just can't help thinking of how any other airline would have handle the same situation. Doubtful Delta would take such a gestapo style, we'll see you in court MFers, approach. But at DAL you can avoid trouble. At UPS trouble finds you*. This way that brown handles things, it has 100 years of culture behind it and though 99% of us aren't involved it's only a matter of time until we will find ourselves in the UPS crosshairs. Think another furlough, displacement bids, catering issues, ANC commute intricacies....working here means you will, from time to time, have to endure crap like this. Hence, the 'best job in the world working for the worst people,' platitude associated with brownployment. Expectation zero is the counter-strategy.

On the issue at hand and a good reminder for all, UPS is funny about 'their stuff,' getting out in public. I remember guys being hesitant to send me bid packs and parts of the FOM / systems manual when I was in the interview and preclass stages. I believe this was even touched upon during Indoc. Unless it's publically available, probably best not to share...

* Swingers quote.

Atlanta United
10-07-2017, 06:48 AM
Unless it's publically available, probably best not to share...

I thought it was publically available since it was on the publically available Internet.

rickair7777
10-07-2017, 07:02 AM
I thought it was publically available since it was on the publically available Internet.

Depends on how it got there. You could not be subject to criminal penalties for regurgitating previously confidential info which was already released into the wild.

But internal company discipline is another matter...not fair or reasonable, but likely legal.

PastV1by10
10-07-2017, 07:05 AM
While I know better to get myself involved in this in any way, shape, or form, I would be remiss if I didn't comment. If you are a new hire or a prospective pilot and want to explore the brown shades of UPS's true colors, take a big whiff. Though it's obvious some guys acted with poor judgement / made foolish mistakes, out of ALL the ways the company could have chose to deal with the situation, THIS is how they decided. No doubt it's an opening gambit of what's to be a multi-move game, and while the game itself is part of a larger chess game the company is playing against the IPA, I just can't help thinking of how any other airline would have handle the same situation. Doubtful Delta would take such a gestapo style, we'll see you in court MFers, approach. But at DAL you can avoid trouble. At UPS trouble finds you*. This way that brown handles things, it has 100 years of culture behind it and though 99% of us aren't involved it's only a matter of time until we will find ourselves in the UPS crosshairs. Think another furlough, displacement bids, catering issues, ANC commute intricacies....working here means you will, from time to time, have to endure crap like this. Hence, the 'best job in the world working for the worst people,' platitude associated with brownployment. Expectation zero is the counter-strategy.

On the issue at hand and a good reminder for all, UPS is funny about 'their stuff,' getting out in public. I remember guys being hesitant to send me bid packs and parts of the FOM / systems manual when I was in the interview and preclass stages. I believe this was even touched upon during Indoc. Unless it's publically available, probably best not to share...

* Swingers quote.

Would you expect anything less from them? Can't change the fiber of this company. That's why amazon will put us out of business in ten years.

rickair7777
10-07-2017, 07:11 AM
MOD INPUT: This is actually not a joke.

Here's how it works: Employer trumps up inflated claims of impropriety to justify filing a lawsuit against some number of Does (unidentified people). The filed lawsuit lets them go on a subpoena fishing expedition to try and identify the Does, ostensibly to serve them papers.

Once identified, the Employers drops the lawsuit (the grounds of which were too weak to win anyway), and pursues internal discipline against the perps. If they went to that much trouble, the discipline will of course be termination. Point being, you don't need legitimate legal grievance to game the system to help you identify people you don't like.

A Subpoena to say APC, could produce your email address and IP addresses. They could then go to yahoo, gmail, etc and get whatever info they have including more IP addresses. Maybe your real name, maybe not.

This has happened. I'm not going to discuss whether it's ever happened at APC.

I am by no means suggesting "obstruction of justice" such as deleting email or social media accounts, hard drives, etc. Reality is that deleting stuff probably won't help because you probably didn't really delete it. But you never know.

FTFF
10-07-2017, 07:12 AM
Would you expect anything less from them? Can't change the fiber of this company.

That's the point I was trying to make. A sort of buyers beware statement.