Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Does SW hire many ULCC pilots?

tango hotel
10-12-2017, 04:59 AM
In reading the interview group reports here, and talking to guys who have made it to the interviews, I see a good mix of mil/corp/regional pilots, but I rarely see or hear about LCC/ULCC pilots being interviewed. Is this just my limited sampling, or does anyone know if this is a trend for some reason?

SW is my ultimate career goal, I'm currently at a regional (with fairly competitive quals), and I'm wondering whether to go to the first non-SW airline that will take me while I wait for SW, or would I have a better shot at SW by staying where I am?

Thanks in advance!

imr125
10-12-2017, 05:21 AM
In reading the interview group reports here, and talking to guys who have made it to the interviews, I see a good mix of mil/corp/regional pilots, but I rarely see or hear about LCC/ULCC pilots being interviewed. Is this just my limited sampling, or does anyone know if this is a trend for some reason?

SW is my ultimate career goal, I'm currently at a regional (with fairly competitive quals), and I'm wondering whether to go to the first non-SW airline that will take me while I wait for SW, or would I have a better shot at SW by staying where I am?

Thanks in advance!

SW does hire LCC/ULCC pilots from other carriers. I've seen a good number interview and get hired within the past 12 or so months.
My advice---go to the first of the big 6 carriers that you get hired at. If it isn't SW and you still want to be there then keep your application up to date. You may never get the call from SW; then again you may get it tomorrow.

CA1900
10-12-2017, 05:50 AM
For what it's worth, there was a Spirit guy in my class earlier this year.

Bobby
10-12-2017, 06:40 AM
I interviewed with a Sun Country pilot, he was hired. Additionally, there was a former Spirit pilot in my new-hire class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver02ex
10-12-2017, 07:04 AM
My sim partner at Spirit left for SWA right after he finished IOE with Spirit.

RJSAviator76
10-12-2017, 07:08 AM
Not a ULCC, but there's been a few Alaska guys hired at Southwest in recent months with more coming.

Super EZ E
10-12-2017, 07:11 AM
I personally know 6 Spirit guys now at SWA. With 9 more on their way soon.

07Driver
10-12-2017, 07:41 AM
For what it's worth, there was a Spirit guy in my class earlier this year.

Yup, Spirit guys in and around my class two years ago too

tango hotel
10-12-2017, 11:19 AM
This has been very helpful. Thank you!

FlyingPirate
10-12-2017, 07:17 PM
This has been very helpful. Thank you!
Keep in mind the majority have been captains at Spirit. It's still competitive, so if you go to a ULCC I would recommend having at least 1000TPIC from your respective regional.

FWIW. Turned down a job at Spirit because I never really wanted to work there. Held tight at my previous employer and took on additional responsibilities, got a call from Southwest 9 months later. I think you're better off staying put as long as you can get PIC time and check airmen or some other additional duties.

Skyward
10-12-2017, 11:04 PM
Keep in mind the majority have been captains at Spirit. It's still competitive, so if you go to a ULCC I would recommend having at least 1000TPIC from your respective regional.

FWIW. Turned down a job at Spirit because I never really wanted to work there. Held tight at my previous employer and took on additional responsibilities, got a call from Southwest 9 months later. I think you're better off staying put as long as you can get PIC time and check airmen or some other additional duties.

Yeah, the PIC and being able to check the check airman box mean more than an Airbus type rating IMO. On the other hand, too much time at a regional without advancing and taking on additional responsibilities doesn't help.

tango hotel
10-13-2017, 03:58 AM
I've got the check airman box and plenty of PIC; I'm still not sure if current capt/ck airman at regional beats former capt/ck airman with one more type, or if it makes no difference.

TerrainTerrain
10-29-2017, 04:18 PM
Yeah, the PIC and being able to check the check airman box mean more than an Airbus type rating IMO. On the other hand, too much time at a regional without advancing and taking on additional responsibilities doesn't help.

Doesn't hurt either. Volunteer at some places.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1