Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : FLL and AUS satellite bases

flysocal77
10-18-2017, 07:30 AM
Last thing I want to do is start a false rumor but I was told by flight attendants (credible sources haha) yesterday. They were confident it was announced so I came on here to confirm. Nothing on the net and no company email. Anybody heard anything? I was hoping for LAX but expecting FLL or STL.

jetliner1526
10-18-2017, 08:10 AM
Yes, the flight attendants did receive a message from the company stating they will begin testing satellite bases in FLL/AUS in 2018.

hoover
10-18-2017, 02:23 PM
That's a horrible idea for pilots. We'd be giving away DH credit to from bases and by making more bases we'd lose seniority power.

SlipKid
10-19-2017, 08:28 AM
That's a horrible idea for pilots. We'd be giving away DH credit to from bases and by making more bases we'd lose seniority power.

I'll gladly give away one TFP DH credit, once in a while, to cut my commute by 2/3 all the time.

As for the lost "seniority power", you can always commute to a more junior domicile. ;)

Vincent Chase
10-20-2017, 09:31 AM

We are about to try the same thing at Delta. Sure, it might help some commuters, but it makes the company's job quite easy. If they want FLL/AUS, why not open a base there? Because it costs them money. They're looking at this thing Delta is about to implement and they're trying to do the same.

Sure, if you commute, you might be willing to cut your individual problem by cheering this on. But you're doing great damage to this career for the sake of your own convenience. Just saying. If you go down this road, don't be surprised at what the company will ask for next. Again, just saying.

And I commute.

Vincent Chase
10-20-2017, 09:32 AM
I'll gladly give away one TFP DH credit, once in a while, to cut my commute by 2/3 all the time.

As for the lost "seniority power", you can always commute to a more junior domicile. ;)
There is no "I" in team...but you can definitely find an "M" and an "E" in there...:rolleyes:

capt707
10-20-2017, 09:38 AM
Im surprised you guys dont have a crew base in BNA yet!

SlipKid
10-20-2017, 09:48 AM
There is no "I" in team...but you can definitely find an "M" and an "E" in there...:rolleyes:

Exactly my point. ;)

e6bpilot
10-20-2017, 10:28 AM
They don’t have any language in the pilot contract for satellite domiciles. SWAPA would have to give it to them and I would hope our membership is not in a giving mood.
I dont live in domicile but I do reap the benefits of a large domicile with plenty of open time flying and lines to choose from. I don’t want that to change.

Vincent Chase
10-20-2017, 11:54 AM
Exactly my point. ;)
With enough guys like you, SWAPA can be just like ALPA!

SlipKid
10-20-2017, 02:20 PM
With enough guys like you, SWAPA can be just like ALPA!

Unlike most SWAPA pilots, I actually G.A.S. what happens to our collective careers. :eek:

There was a time that I wished that we WERE more like ALPA, but that changed last year when we (finally) elected a BOD that actually represents the pilots, instead of the company.

That said, we are our own worst enemy......

Did you see the latest voting results? Typical 50%-ish voter turnout on important issues that affect all of us, and yet, somehow, I am the problem....... :eek:

SlipKid
10-20-2017, 02:24 PM
We are about to try the same thing at Delta. Sure, it might help some commuters, but it makes the company's job quite easy. If they want FLL/AUS, why not open a base there? Because it costs them money. They're looking at this thing Delta is about to implement and they're trying to do the same.

Sure, if you commute, you might be willing to cut your individual problem by cheering this on. But you're doing great damage to this career for the sake of your own convenience. Just saying. If you go down this road, don't be surprised at what the company will ask for next. Again, just saying.

And I commute.

The company didn't ask for this. The FAs did.

at6d
10-20-2017, 07:30 PM
I am surprised voter turnout was so low after the contract turnout.

SlipKid
10-20-2017, 07:39 PM

Get used to it....."We" never learn...... :eek:

RJSAviator76
10-20-2017, 08:23 PM

Shameful...

flyguy81
10-21-2017, 05:32 AM

The only votes I’ve ever been a part of where the turnout has ever been high are: strike votes and voting on a CBA.

I don’t know many who take the time to get educated on everything. I just threw a ballot in the trash to vote on school board members. But I will vote for “big” issues that deal with taxes or Congress. Similar logic I guess.

Loon
10-21-2017, 07:22 AM
As a commuter I say that these satelite bases are a terrible idea.
You want an easier commuter life?
Do as so many have and move to a domicile.

jetliner1526
10-21-2017, 08:49 AM
Is there language in your contract for satellite bases?

SlipKid
10-21-2017, 11:14 AM
Is there language in your contract for satellite bases?

No, but, like the vacation bidding fiasco, a small, but vocal group has been pushing for "mini" domiciles.

ZapBrannigan
10-21-2017, 12:45 PM
I can’t believe that “satellite domiciles” and “mini domiciles” are a topic of conversation that is even considered before asking the company for “COMMUTABLE TRIPS/LINES”

Is the group so greedy that we aren’t willing to accept some percentage of trips that pay a little less or are a little less efficient in order to construct trips that start mid-day on day one and end mid-day on day 3 or 4?! Good grief... satellite domiciles. (face palm)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyguy81
10-21-2017, 12:48 PM
I can’t believe that “satellite domiciles” and “mini domiciles” are a topic of conversation that is even considered before asking the company for “COMMUTABLE TRIPS/LINES”

Is the group so greedy that we aren’t willing to accept some percentage of trips that pay a little less or are a little less efficient in order to construct trips that start mid-day on day one and end mid-day on day 3 or 4?! Good grief... satellite domiciles. (face palm)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a trip last week I plucked off TTGA that was commutable and paid well. Worked my tail off over 4 days though...no overnight over 12 hrs.

RckyMtHigh
10-22-2017, 05:39 PM
No, but, like the vacation bidding fiasco, a small, but vocal group has been pushing for "mini" domiciles.

I’m not sure that I would call those pushing for vacation change a small group. After all it passed at 73%. Even adjusting for those that didn’t vote that’s 1/3 of the company or 3000+ pilots (rough math).

SlipKid
10-22-2017, 06:51 PM
I’m not sure that I would call those pushing for vacation change a small group. After all it passed at 73%. Even adjusting for those that didn’t vote that’s 1/3 of the company or 3000+ pilots (rough math).

Like I said, a very small group of vocal pilots pushed for this change and got it put out for a vote.

This pilot group has enthusiastically voted YES! on concessions pretty much every chance it's gotten in at least 2 decades, so I wouldn't put too much faith in the "73%" number being a good thing.

After we shoot ourselves in the foot, again, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone admitting to voting YES! for these changes. Same as it ever was......

RckyMtHigh
10-23-2017, 05:23 AM
Like I said, a very small group of vocal pilots pushed for this change and got it put out for a vote.

This pilot group has enthusiastically voted YES! on concessions pretty much every chance it's gotten in at least 2 decades, so I wouldn't put too much faith in the "73%" number being a good thing.

After we shoot ourselves in the foot, again, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone admitting to voting YES! for these changes. Same as it ever was......

Yeah, I guess I don’t see it as concessionary to change the way vacation is bidded. If it turns into anything concessionary with the side letter, I’m a hard “no”. For me, it was interesting enough at this point to continue the process.

SlipKid
10-23-2017, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I guess I don’t see it as concessionary to change the way vacation is bidded.

Wait a few years. The more senior you get, the more you'll realize that the 2 current choices are a huge QOL hit compared with what we have now.

If it turns into anything concessionary with the side letter, I’m a hard “no”. For me, it was interesting enough at this point to continue the process.

The current choices, other than "no change" are concessionary in the big scheme of things.

WHACKMASTER
10-24-2017, 04:08 AM
Wait a few years. The more senior you get, the more you'll realize that the 2 current choices are a huge QOL hit compared with what we have now.

The current choices, other than "no change" are concessionary in the big scheme of things.

Sure they’re concessionary IF you’re senior enough to block bid summer vacations. GMAFB

Note: I could care less about getting summer vacation but this practice of senior guys block bidding their summer vacation only to fly over it to get paid premium and make 300+ TFP in that month is horse$h!t. It’s robbing the opportunity for those people with families that really need a week of summer vacation of the opportunity to get it. I’m not necessarily against block bidding but then use the vacation for its intended purpose. Greedy *^%+s.

RJSAviator76
10-24-2017, 05:26 AM
Sure they’re concessionary IF you’re senior enough to block bid summer vacations. GMAFB

Note: I could care less about getting summer vacation but this practice of senior guys block bidding their summer vacation only to fly over it to get paid premium and make 300+ TFP in that month is horse$h!t. It’s robbing the opportunity for those people with families that really need a week of summer vacation of the opportunity to get it. I’m not necessarily against block bidding but then use the vacation for its intended purpose. Greedy *^%+s.

"Who are you to tell me how to spend my vacation?"

"Picking up flying over vacation spares someone else from getting JA'd."

"People on vacation get awarded only what others don't want, so what do you care?"

"You wouldn't have gotten that vacation block anyway."

Yeah, I guess I don’t see it as concessionary to change the way vacation is bidded. If it turns into anything concessionary with the side letter, I’m a hard “no”. For me, it was interesting enough at this point to continue the process.

I see this as nothing other than attempting seniority theft. Most people I've talked to have a problem with trading blocks and want seniority to determine vacation, yet when you look at how the vote went, only 6.25% voted to go by earned seniority, and only 12.96% wanted to adjust trading and actually try to fix the chief complaint. Hypocritical?

Voted no to change and will continue to vote no on any changes.

dawgdriver
10-24-2017, 08:20 AM
Back to the OP's point, I would be highly skeptical of anything your management is willing to offer or concede. Slippery slope aimed at saving DH pay and hotel costs. No telling where the bean-counters go from there.

Depending on your situation it could be good, or not. It's a seniority based-system, there are no guarantees that targeted commuters will necessarily be the benefactors. Don't SW guys routinely bid into junior domiciles to cash in on vacation overlap?

I'm a commuter. I accepted the fact that commuting could be stressful when I hired on. I chose not to move in to a domicile but others uprooted their families and made sacrifices. In fairness, I can't see voting to change the rules everyone agreed to when they signed on.

SlipKid
10-24-2017, 12:59 PM

The one time I ever bid block bid summer, I was able to get a block of 4 weeks. This was a few years ago when I was bidding mid 30%ish in domicile.

With few exceptions, I've gotten pretty much what I've wanted, vacation wise, since I've been here. The only change that's occured to our vacation is the ability to work over them.

Personally, I've never done it, and likely will never, but flying over vacation, especially in the summer months, is a GOOD thing.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that other than a few obvious exceptions, the vast majority of folks DON'T fly over their vacation weeks.

These are trips that no one else in the entire company wants, and can prevent JA or worse, "reassignment" into your day off.

SlipKid
10-24-2017, 01:03 PM
In fairness, I can't see voting to change the rules everyone agreed to when they signed on.

Wait...... we just voted to change the rules that were in place when they signed on because, apparently, these rules are no longer fair. :eek: