Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Compass or Mesa

speedbird618
10-19-2017, 04:07 AM
Which would be be the better choice. I know that both have their problems and that there are other options, but f only these two, pro and cons. Thanks.

Pedro4President
10-19-2017, 04:21 AM
Which would be be the better choice. I know that both have their problems and that there are other options, but f only these two, pro and cons. Thanks.

Compass. I would never suggest MESA.

veewan
10-19-2017, 04:39 AM
Compass hands down. Mesa is the worst regional.

zondaracer
10-19-2017, 06:06 AM
Compass. Without a doubt.

ShooterMcGavin
10-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Compass. Mesa is where you go when you can't get hired anywhere else.

MrBogardi
10-19-2017, 09:12 AM
Don't feed the troll

Poser765
10-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Imma go out on a limb. Where do you live?

speedbird618
10-19-2017, 09:29 AM
I own a home in Minnesota, have no interest in Endeavor as I don't want the East coast, Skywest is not for me either. I know Mesa fly from IAH to MSP a few times per day, so I was thinking that commuting would be easier being based in Houston on the E175. I really like the Compass culture, but the commute could be difficult. Thanks for all advice, this site is great for checking things out.

Poser765
10-19-2017, 10:45 AM
I own a home in Minnesota, have no interest in Endeavor as I don't want the East coast, Skywest is not for me either. I know Mesa fly from IAH to MSP a few times per day, so I was thinking that commuting would be easier being based in Houston on the E175. I really like the Compass culture, but the commute could be difficult. Thanks for all advice, this site is great for checking things out.MSP lax is not the easiest commute but it is done. Lot of flights, but lot of commuters. If you can be based at home consistently, do that! If not, Compass is not a bad place and, honestly most of us are happy here... Even with the crap that's gone on the last few year.

JetDoc
10-19-2017, 12:46 PM
I own a home in Minnesota, have no interest in Endeavor as I don't want the East coast, Skywest is not for me either. I know Mesa fly from IAH to MSP a few times per day, so I was thinking that commuting would be easier being based in Houston on the E175. I really like the Compass culture, but the commute could be difficult. Thanks for all advice, this site is great for checking things out.

Just a couple of thoughts here. Are you going to relocate? Do you know that first year pay at Endeavor will be $10.00 an hour more than first year pay at Compass when their TA passes? Do you understand that commuting to reserve sucks? I mean it really, really does. Knowing what I do, Mesa is a non-starter. I wouldn't send my worst enemy there. If you want to come to Compass, sure, we'd be glad to have you but being in your situation I would go to Endeavor. Sit reserve at home and collect $700-800 a month more than you would here rotting in a crash pad.

speedbird618
10-19-2017, 12:55 PM
When I checked with Endeavor pilots the answer was that it would be years to get to sit reserve on the 900 at MSP as they have lots of very senior FO's there.

MrBogardi
10-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Everyone starts out thinking "oh I'll just commute, that sounds so easy". If you live in IAH go to mesa, if you live in LAX, PHX or SEA go to compass. If you live in MSP there are better options than CPZ. Sounds like you have a bad case of SJS. The 175 is not worth a very crowded cross country commute or a significant paycut.

sMFer
10-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Ewwhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171019/1cd5805dc242e4f04ac3f87d253fa386.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Rogdixon
10-19-2017, 01:11 PM
Is MSP really a thing that a new hire can get at Endevor or upgrade into to make the next step? It seems like everyone I know goes to New York and waits and waits to get back to the Midwest? I can't believe I'm saying this but take another look at SkyWest if you want to be based in MSP...

If you're picking a airline to commute to, I choice Compass to do ORD-LAX when I started and now DEN-LAX if that means anything. Commuting sucks and always will but it works if you know what you're getting into.

Sprebound
10-19-2017, 04:37 PM
Currently doing the MSP-LAX commute and so far it has worked out ok. I have had to leave early the day prior and sit in quite a few 757 jump seats though. There are a few other flights through Sun Country, American and United which are alternatives to Deltas. I'll be doing MSP-SEA starting next month...probably going to be a worse experience. All in all Compass is a great place to work, but I'm not sure if it's worth the commute for a brand new FO.

word302
10-19-2017, 07:24 PM
Why on earth would you even contemplate that commute? So many better options.

chrisreedrules
10-19-2017, 07:57 PM

You need to do some more research. If youíre going to commute anyway, why not commute somewhere with soon-to be industry leading pay? Or somewhere with real defined career progression and who will likely also be getting great pay raises in 2018?

DO NOT GO TO MESA. Even if you live in a Mesa base they are not a good choice.

Of your 2 options, Compass is the clear choice. I donít even know how that is a serious question. That being said I would still look elsewhere.

Side note, whatís wrong with the east coast?

TheFly
10-19-2017, 08:16 PM
If the two? Compass. If you live in MSP, go to SkyWest.

LAX2MSP
10-20-2017, 03:36 AM
If the two? Compass. If you live in MSP, go to SkyWest.

If you live in MSP, new hires for SkyWest are going there now. Not DTW. 9E is closing their 200 base in MSP and CP is closing their base down completely within the next month. OO is growing rapidly there. Iíve done the commuting game out to LAX and itís brutal. Itís expensive out there too. IF you have the option of living in a junior base without moving, youíd be dumb to not do that.

ShooterMcGavin
10-20-2017, 08:28 PM
American ends their MSP-LAX November 1st so that's about 150 less seats a day on that route.

Sprebound
10-21-2017, 07:11 PM
Why on earth would you even contemplate that commute? So many better options.

You talking to me?

word302
10-21-2017, 07:51 PM
You talking to me?

No definitely not. I was talking to prospective new hires. Raw deal for you.

veewan
10-22-2017, 05:18 AM
If you have masochistic tendencies, Mesa is the place to be!

You should totally go there :cool:

morerightrudder
10-27-2017, 01:59 PM
Don't commute to reserve.

You should only seriously consider Mesa if you have a really bad record (i.e. multiple terminations/checkride failures/DUIs/violations/incidents). They are still an airline of last resort, they know it, and treat their employees accordingly.

Otherwise take SkyWest if you value living in base (they are taking over a fair amount of the Compass flying in MSP, so there will be quicker advancement).

If you value more $$$, take Endeavour, although you will spend much of that extra pay on hotels and crashpads until you can hold MSP. Also, flying on the East Coast will make you a better pilot.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1