Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Newbie Hire Info...

GrumpyBear
10-22-2017, 08:18 PM
Looking at applying to Compass this coming January, question for the guys/gals already there. If I was made an offer, would I be able to push my start date to say May? (Mil/Family commitments). Also how likely would getting LAX be? Thanks in advance for the info.

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-22-2017, 08:22 PM
Don't know about May, but LAX you can get out of training no problem. Maybe someone else can speak to pushing the start date back.

BareFoot
10-24-2017, 04:39 PM
What's the likelyhood of getting PHX?

Does anyone have a complete rundown of the entire training timeline?

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-24-2017, 05:16 PM

The training timeline has been outlined on the saga thread, it's not too far back. PHX will be accessible without too much time. No one will be able to give you an exact timeline until we get all the lines over there come January. Better to ask how junior it went in a month or so. But if you want PHX I would come over asap before we hire a bunch of PHX locals haha

VIRotate
10-25-2017, 11:40 AM

What Bobby said. PHX went pretty junior on the FO side. Iíd say you could hold it after 6 months or less.

BareFoot
10-25-2017, 01:53 PM
What Bobby said. PHX went pretty junior on the FO side. Iíd say you could hold it after 6 months or less.

I'm still learning the reserve/holding a line terms. So you nominate a base, you do a certain amount of time on reserve until you hold a line at some point with permanent schedule?

So asking for who is junior that means seeing how many people are ahead of you in the reserve pool that are going to hold lines?

Thanks

FlytheSky
10-25-2017, 04:04 PM
I'm still learning the reserve/holding a line terms. So you nominate a base, you do a certain amount of time on reserve until you hold a line at some point with permanent schedule?

So asking for who is junior that means seeing how many people are ahead of you in the reserve pool that are going to hold lines?

Thanks

You'll pick whatever bases you want in order of preference when you start at the company. Say: 1 PHX, 2 LAX, 3 SEA. However, just because you request it doesn't mean you get it. That's determined by your seniority (which when you're new is right at the bottom). You'll then get "awarded" a base based off your preferences and what your seniority can hold. Each month when there's a vacancy or realignment bid, you can update those preferences and try to snag a different base (or CA seat if there's upgrades).

You'll be on reserve in whatever base you are in until your seniority lets you hold a line. This usually occurs when you bid about 80% in base (have 20% of the pilots in that base below you in seniority). Just because you've hit 80% seniority in base doesn't mean you have to have a line. You can bid down to reserve if you want to make sure you get the days off you want (a useful tool, especially if you live in base, much less so if you're commuting). But everything is seniority driven, which is why seniority is everything. Also, being in the "junior" base helps you get better seniority in base faster than a "senior" base and will affect your reserve time before you can hold a line. Hopefully that helps!

GrumpyBear
10-26-2017, 07:33 AM
FlytheSky:

Thanks! I really appreciate all the info. Since I'm a SOCAL guy, my preference is to be LAX based. This mean Compass or SkyWest. Looking at the big picture though the I'd be willing to commute only if necessary to say ORD. Anything thing further east would be a serious hit to my families QOL.

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-26-2017, 07:51 AM
FlytheSky:

Thanks! I really appreciate all the info. Since I'm a SOCAL guy, my preference is to be LAX based. This mean Compass or SkyWest. Looking at the big picture though the I'd be willing to commute only if necessary to say ORD. Anything thing further east would be a serious hit to my families QOL.

Right now is the time to come to compass. The movement in early 2018 should be crazy

GrumpyBear
10-26-2017, 08:26 AM
That's the plan Sir. Putting in my app in Jan. Hoping for a job offer. :)

FlytheSky
10-26-2017, 12:04 PM
If you're looking for a regional to get LAX from day 1, Compass is 100% the place for you, as that's our junior base so you'll definitely hold it right away and move up the list in base quicker than other bases! Hope to see you here in 2018!

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-26-2017, 12:52 PM
That's the plan Sir. Putting in my app in Jan. Hoping for a job offer. :)

Glad to hear it. Is there a reason you are waiting until Jan? When movement is fast, a couple months makes a big difference. During the summer of 2015 for example, one month difference was like 35+ numbers, which is the difference between reserve and a line, this base or that base, upgrade or FO. I'm sure you know that, but I just wanted to encourage you to put your app in asap on case, I assume that's Jan. If you want to wait for the holidays to be over, don't, training won't happen during the holidays.

Gunfighter62
10-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Greetings All.

Just joined APC. Im in nearly the same situation as Grumpy - SoCal (San Diego). Former military pilot.

Question.
Does anyone have a sample trip itinerary on what a typical LAX based run might look like? Also, looking at their website its hard to determine what family benefits (travel opportunities) family members would have.

Thanks for any assist.

GrumpyBear
10-27-2017, 02:48 PM
BobbyLeeSwagger:

Having gotten some great info from guys like yourself, looks like I'll be submitting my app in November instead of January. Thanks again for the great info guys.

-Grumpy

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-27-2017, 03:22 PM
Greetings All.

Just joined APC. Im in nearly the same situation as Grumpy - SoCal (San Diego). Former military pilot.

Question.
Does anyone have a sample trip itinerary on what a typical LAX based run might look like? Also, looking at their website its hard to determine what family benefits (travel opportunities) family members would have.

Thanks for any assist.

Most American trips have a turn and then an overnight leg on the first day, then 2 legs, which is repeated for how ever many days the trip is, then a turn on the last day. a typical 3 day would be.... LAX-SFO-LAX-SJC (LAYOVER) SJC-LAX-ABQ (LAY) ABQ-LAX- SMF-LAX. The thing with eagle flying is it always goes through LAX.

Delta flying doesn't always go through lax... LAX-SMF-SEA (LAY) SEA-YVR-MSP (LAY) MSP-DTW-MSP- DH to LAX.

That's the general flavor of them. Edit: not sure of the PHX base would mean we don't fly to msp at all. I'm sure those newer pairings would look similar in that you leave LAX and don't come back till the last day. LAX-PHX- SEA (LAY) ....

MrBogardi
10-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Greetings All.

Question.

Thanks for any assist.

LAX is most diverse when it comes to trips. 1-5 day trips with 1-4 and maybe 5 legs a day if you're unlucky, never actually done a 5 legger but have seen them. Pretty much whatever your heart desires (if you have the seniority to hold it)

VIRotate
10-28-2017, 10:14 PM
LAX is most diverse when it comes to trips. 1-5 day trips with 1-4 and maybe 5 legs a day if you're unlucky, never actually done a 5 legger but have seen them. Pretty much whatever your heart desires (if you have the seniority to hold it)

SJC-LAS
LAS-SJC
SJC-LAX
LAX-SAN
SAN-LAX

:mad:

N200NN
10-28-2017, 11:37 PM
SJC-LAS
LAS-SJC
SJC-LAX
LAX-SAN
SAN-LAX

:mad:

and they usually put that on day 5 of 5.

JetDoc
10-29-2017, 09:18 AM
and they usually put that on day 5 of 5.

And that's why reserves get to fly LAX-SAN, SAN-LAX, a lot. :D

Poser765
10-29-2017, 10:20 AM
And that's why reserves get to fly LAX-SAN, SAN-LAX, a lot. :DI would say about 80% of the flying I do is made up of sjc or sfo turns... Either warm up laps or penalty laps.

VIRotate
10-30-2017, 12:07 AM
Ah SAN and SFO. Always the first on my chopping block. SFO = delays, SAN = a lot of work for little block/credit. That 5 legged though at the end of a 5 day trip...uhhhhh

Gunfighter62
10-30-2017, 09:09 PM
BZ everyone for the assist on the schedules... I appreciate it.

Q:
Are the family seat privileges the same as on the majors since you represent Delta & American or are they only on Compass flights? Again, thanks for any insight. Trying to do a little bit of pre-game research to see if good match.

Poser765
10-31-2017, 05:10 AM

Q:
Are the family seat privileges the same as on the majors since you represent Delta & American or are they only on Compass flights? Again, thanks for any insight. Trying to do a little bit of pre-game research to see if good match.you'll get non review privileges on all delta/delta connection flight. If you are lax based you'll get get that plus American/American Eagle.

Note... You're priority will be pretty low.

Citation X
10-31-2017, 08:59 AM
For those that remember can someone please chime in on what they were paid during training? I believe cbt is paid
Out at half guarantee, I think...but what about
After arriving back at MSP?

GrassstripflyerZSE
10-31-2017, 09:05 AM
For those that remember can someone please chime in on what they were paid during training? I believe cbt is paid
Out at half guarantee, I think...but what about
After arriving back at MSP?

CBT is I think 18.5 hours or so, definetly not half min guaranetee. Once back at MSP you are given min guarantee for the duration of training.

Citation X
10-31-2017, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the reply

JonnyRockets
10-31-2017, 09:42 PM
Anyone know where in San Diego the recruiting event is on 1Nov? Cant find an address on the FB page or company website. Thanks

JohnDoe
11-01-2017, 07:17 AM
Looking at applying to Compass this coming January, question for the guys/gals already there. If I was made an offer, would I be able to push my start date to say May? (Mil/Family commitments). Also how likely would getting LAX be? Thanks in advance for the info.

Iím sure they would work with you. Theyíre not going to tell someone no, they may push the interview back, or just have to wait to run the background check, a lot can change in 6 mo

JohnDoe
11-01-2017, 07:17 AM
Anyone know where in San Diego the recruiting event is on 1Nov? Cant find an address on the FB page or company website. Thanks

I believe you have to email them and set up an appointment and they will tell you then

WingedCelt
11-01-2017, 09:32 PM

Q:
Are the family seat privileges the same as on the majors since you represent Delta & American or are they only on Compass flights? Again, thanks for any insight. Trying to do a little bit of pre-game research to see if good match.

CM Gunfighter62. I take it you were either a -64D Driver, Block I,II, or III? MTP, IP, come on man, spill it!?

That said, feel free to reach out to me on the PM features on here.

Mark7
11-02-2017, 03:43 AM
Looks like I'll be interviewing pretty soon. Whats the chance of getting Phx as a base starting on reserve?

Thanks!

VIRotate
11-02-2017, 11:24 PM
Looks like I'll be interviewing pretty soon. Whats the chance of getting Phx as a base starting on reserve?

Thanks!

Not likely. Iíd say 4-6 months before you would be able to hold PHX but you never know.

JonnyRockets
11-03-2017, 10:38 AM
Anyone in or recently complete training? Where are we being housed? Any insight into the holiday schedule for those of us starting indoc 9Nov? Gentlemen's course or ball buster? Any and all insights on this topic welcome. Read through the forum and looking for updates. Thanks

WingedCelt
11-03-2017, 08:31 PM
Anyone in or recently complete training? Where are we being housed? Any insight into the holiday schedule for those of us starting indoc 9Nov? Gentlemen's course or ball buster? Any and all insights on this topic welcome. Read through the forum and looking for updates. Thanks

I will speak to you based on my previous experience, and that was 18 months ago.

I doubt much has changed within the training department itself, remember a lot of this is all FAA Approved so there won't be much in the way of change from when I went through.

If housing is still the same, you are being placed at the Extended Stay in Eagan. Personal thoughts aside, GP Mediums on catpoles with Gen III Goretex sleeping bags was the cat's ass compared to this place. That said, it is a company paid hotel during training. Holidays aside, it's like any other day. Welcome to the airlines, if you get time great, if not, drink water and drive on.

Definitely a gentleman's course. No one is going to be yelling at you, or shouldn't be, but they also don't have a tiptoe through the tulips attitude. If you **** up, admit it , learn from it, and move on. No one got this stuff right on the first go...and there is always something you can learn from these guys. If my knuckledragging ass can get through the course as a new airline pilot, it is NOT difficult.

Take time every day to go over limitations, memory items, profiles, and callouts, and you ll be just fine. I usually spent a half hour at breakfast going over things with my sim partner. You get to chose yours, so like the old codger in the Last Crusade, Choose Wisely! LOL.

Take it meal time to meal time, sleep time to sleep time, and spend time for yourself, like exercising, reading, vegging out to the TV, whatever, just so you have some down time to vent and release some steam. This is incredibly crucial during your first three weeks, since 90 percent of it is death by powerpoint.

Best of luck!

BareFoot
11-03-2017, 10:01 PM
At what stage and where do they do the ATP-CTP for those that need that prior?

VIRotate
11-04-2017, 01:42 AM
At what stage and where do they do the ATP-CTP for those that need that prior?

I believe it's scheduled sometime after you receive a class date. It will be prior to starting though. Can't remember if you get to pick your CTP slot or not.

Citation X
11-06-2017, 08:19 AM
new hire here. I was hoping if someone could tell me the protocol for Delta jump seating. Can I just walk up to the gate agent and be put on the list or is there more to it than that?

poorflyer
11-06-2017, 08:23 AM
new hire here. I was hoping if someone could tell me the protocol for Delta jump seating. Can I just walk up to the gate agent and be put on the list or is there more to it than that?

Yes walk up and tell them you'd like to list for jumpseat. Make sure you have your badge ready. The ALPA website and app have a jumpseat guide for each airline because some require you to list online. You can go on the compass webpage and there are instructions for listing online since it requires you to login with a compass airlines jumpseat account.

Citation X
11-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Great, thanks for the quick response!!

waflyboy
11-06-2017, 08:36 AM

That's pretty much it for riding on Delta. If you are going to be on the actual jump seat, they may ask for your passport as part of the CASS verification. So have that handy.

If you are riding on a jump seat pass, the generally accepted etiquette is to introduce yourself to and request a ride from the captain, even if there is a cabin seat available.

BareFoot
11-09-2017, 05:45 PM
What were candidates experiences after the interview, did they hire you on the day or did some people get a call/email a few days later?

VIRotate
11-10-2017, 10:16 AM
What were candidates experiences after the interview, did they hire you on the day or did some people get a call/email a few days later?

Usually you find out the day of your interview.

rabidf16
11-10-2017, 03:11 PM
Just interviewed on Tuesday. CJO on the spot. Only two of us interviewed. Other guy did not get a CJO. Also picked my training start date at the same time.

rabidf16
11-12-2017, 06:14 AM

I interviewed on 7 November. They gave me the CJO on the spot and also allowed me to choose my training start date. Only two of us interviewed.

VIRotate
11-13-2017, 04:45 PM
Welcome aboard guys and girls. FYI new hires were awarded all 3 bases out of training.

Flyinlynn
11-19-2017, 10:23 PM
How far out are training start dates now? What base is junior currently? Odds of getting SEA?

Thanks

JonnyRockets
11-20-2017, 05:37 AM
I started Indoc 2 weeks after my CJO. Odds are very favorable you will get your pick per the CP.

BobbyLeeSwagger
11-20-2017, 08:33 AM
I started Indoc 2 weeks after my CJO. Odds are very favorable you will get your pick per the CP.

Thanks for the update. There hasn't been a better time to come to Compass in 2 years. Apply now! We are going to be short staffed for a while, so movement will be very steady next year. And surprisingly, all bases are in play for new hires (for now). My guess is that PHX will eventually get more senior as people who actuallly live there come to Compass. But the next 6 months looks like a bit of a gravy train for new hires. If you're on the fence, I suggest you get off the fence and come over.

Upgrades will probably be 18-24 months for guys getting hired right now. Obviously a moving target, but that's what it was before our brief slow down. I was in an upgrade class 1 year and 3 days after my first day of IOE (had literally 1 day of FO reserve), and we are hiring again at the same rate and volume of 2014-2015, which obviously boded very well for all of us.

P.s. I'm not a recruiter or fishing for referral $$. I'm just a line guy who can't do day visuals into SJC anymore.

VIRotate
11-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the update. There hasn't been a better time to come to Compass in 2 years. Apply now! We are going to be short staffed for a while, so movement will be very steady next year. And surprisingly, all bases are in play for new hires (for now). My guess is that PHX will eventually get more senior as people who actuallly live there come to Compass. But the next 6 months looks like a bit of a gravy train for new hires. If you're on the fence, I suggest you get off the fence and come over.

Upgrades will probably be 18-24 months for guys getting hired right now. Obviously a moving target, but that's what it was before our brief slow down. I was in an upgrade class 1 year and 3 days after my first day of IOE (had literally 1 day of FO reserve), and we are hiring again at the same rate and volume of 2014-2015, which obviously boded very well for all of us.

P.s. I'm not a recruiter or fishing for referral $$. I'm just a line guy who can't do day visuals into SJC anymore.

Can confirm bob isn't recruiter and is accurate. Bob knows what's up. Listen to bob. Be like bob.

rabidf16
11-21-2017, 12:24 AM
How is reserve for new hires now? How long before holding a line and how much flying are people doing while sitting reserve?

BobbyLeeSwagger
11-21-2017, 05:37 AM
How is reserve for new hires now? How long before holding a line and how much flying are people doing while sitting reserve?

Well, the experience our poor FOs had who were hired at the end of last year will not be yours. If we assume 30-35 more new hires on every bidding month next year, and say 20-25 of those going to LAX, and you bid LAX, then you will only be on reserve about 2 months (in some cases 1 month). Last award saw 29 new hires with all bases split pretty evenly more or less.

That was pretty much how it was in 2015. Guys had like 40 people under them before they even got out of training! So when you hit the line, you just needed to wait until the folks behind you hit the line and started bidding.

Things could always change, but that's the situation we are looking at today and for the foreseeable future.

The second part of your question is how much will you fly on reserve, again, you will have a much much better experience than current FOs. For you guys, say 40- 50 hrs, the right seat will be short staffed, with criticals often available, so.. again, everything is looking very similar to 2- 2 1/2 years a go. Sounds crazy now, but there were lots of criticals then, and my class did not even do 1 month of reserve, like I said, I did just one day.

BobbyLeeSwagger
11-21-2017, 06:02 AM
Also, all attrition works on your favor. Right now, between both seats it's 25-30 and that will go right to your movement. And that's without any United hiring, which hopefully will change next year. Latest forecast by Bill Kennedy is 500-700 next year. Hopefully we lose 8 a month to them alone like we used to.

Plus people will shuffle out of LAX often when they can hold their own base (apparantly they are doing this from day one but if that were to change for a brief time). So you will get very nice movement between attrition, upgrades, and base changes plus a steady stream behind you. Again, come now. Makes no difference to me, I'm not trying to be senior here, I'm trying to get out. So it's just a word to the wise.

rabidf16
11-21-2017, 10:36 AM
Also, all attrition works on your favor. Right now, between both seats it's 25-30 and that will go right to your movement. And that's without any United hiring, which hopefully will change next year. Latest forecast by Bill Kennedy is 500-700 next year. Hopefully we lose 8 a month to them alone like we used to.

Plus people will shuffle out of LAX often when they can hold their own base (apparantly they are doing this from day one but if that were to change for a brief time). So you will get very nice movement between attrition, upgrades, and base changes plus a steady stream behind you. Again, come now. Makes no difference to me, I'm not trying to be senior here, I'm trying to get out. So it's just a word to the wise.

Sounds great. Thatís what I was hoping to hear. Going for SEA basing. Age should be in my favor there.

Vectors4
11-24-2017, 02:48 PM
Well, the experience our poor FOs had who were hired at the end of last year will not be yours. If we assume 30-35 more new hires on every bidding month next year, and say 20-25 of those going to LAX, and you bid LAX, then you will only be on reserve about 2 months (in some cases 1 month). Last award saw 29 new hires with all bases split pretty evenly more or less.

That was pretty much how it was in 2015. Guys had like 40 people under them before they even got out of training! So when you hit the line, you just needed to wait until the folks behind you hit the line and started bidding.

Things could always change, but that's the situation we are looking at today and for the foreseeable future.

The second part of your question is how much will you fly on reserve, again, you will have a much much better experience than current FOs. For you guys, say 40- 50 hrs, the right seat will be short staffed, with criticals often available, so.. again, everything is looking very similar to 2- 2 1/2 years a go. Sounds crazy now, but there were lots of criticals then, and my class did not even do 1 month of reserve, like I said, I did just one day.

This all sounds great. Hopefully not too great to be true. I'm stuck between Skywest and Compass as someone that wants to be Denver or further west. With Skywest I'll likely have to go to ORD, MSP, or DTW for the quick upgrade... :eek:

I've got a few questions if someone could help me out.

FO first year is 41/hr? What happens second year? I don't see this on the airline page. (https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/compass_airlines)

How is living in LA on first year pay?

What are union dues?

Is the flying 100% contract work? Any new aircraft talk/growth/how is the health of the contracts and relationship with partner companies?

Are there any work practices you don't like, such "junior manning"/being forced to work when you need sometime off or have plans?

Can you drop trips and pick up trips very easily to alter your schedule?

Thanks

Poser765
11-24-2017, 03:17 PM
This all sounds great. Hopefully not too great to be true. I'm stuck between Skywest and Compass as someone that wants to be Denver or further west. With Skywest I'll likely have to go to ORD, MSP, or DTW for the quick upgrade... :eek:

I've got a few questions if someone could help me out.

FO first year is 41/hr? What happens second year? I don't see this on the airline page. (https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/compass_airlines)

How is living in LA on first year pay?

What are union dues?

Is the flying 100% contract work? Any new aircraft talk/growth/how is the health of the contracts and relationship with partner companies?

Are there any work practices you don't like, such "junior manning"/being forced to work when you need sometime off or have plans?

Can you drop trips and pick up trips very easily to alter your schedule?

Thankshere are some half answers.

1. I believe it's a small step up on year two. 1 or 2 dollars an hour maybe? Some one more knowledgeable can chime in.

2. I don't live in LA but I can't imagine it would be easy for anyone at a regional to do. Maybe a bit more comfortable on Captain pay, but that asses a lot about your financial situation

3. I think dues are 1-2%. I know they are pretty standard for union dues.

4. Yes we are a regional so it's all contract work. Just like at skywest. The difference is they own their airplanes where delta and AA own ours. That means our aircraft can get shuffled around (as happened last year) where skywest airplanes can't. As far as I know our relationship with our mainline partners is strong. Everyone from other airlines that want our flyimg will tell you differently, but there has been no indications from management that we have issues. Will they renew our CPAs at the end of the term? Who knows. I'd imagine so. I'm an optimist, however.

5. Yes you can drop and swap trips. How easily is another question and kind of a sore spot right now between us and the company. It's been grieved and the union is working on it.

Also I typed this out in a hurry on the lax lot c bus... So don't let my poor grammar and spelling give you a poor impression of our group. Most of our pilots are more literate than me.

BobbyLeeSwagger
11-24-2017, 03:29 PM
here are some half answers.

1. I believe it's a small step up on year two. 1 or 2 dollars an hour maybe? Some one more knowledgeable can chime in.

2. I don't live in LA but I can't imagine it would be easy for anyone at a regional to do. Maybe a bit more comfortable on Captain pay, but that asses a lot about your financial situation

3. I think dues are 1-2%. I know they are pretty standard for union dues.

4. Yes we are a regional so it's all contract work. Just like at skywest. The difference is they own their airplanes where delta and AA own ours. That means our aircraft can get shuffled around (as happened last year) where skywest airplanes can't. As far as I know our relationship with our mainline partners is strong. Everyone from other airlines that want our flyimg will tell you differently, but there has been no indications from management that we have issues. Will they renew our CPAs at the end of the term? Who knows. I'd imagine so. I'm an optimist, however.

5. Yes you can drop and swap trips. How easily is another question and kind of a sore spot right now between us and the company. It's been grieved and the union is working on it.

Also I typed this out in a hurry on the lax lot c bus... So don't let my poor grammar and spelling give you a poor impression of our group. Most of our pilots are more literate than me.

Yup, agree with all. My 1 bed apt was 1215/mo 7 mi south of LAX. There are RELATIVELY decent prices out there but you gotta look. I think you will find something around $1200-1400 without too much trouble. Is it crazy? Yes. But you can go back to Denver with a straight outta Compton t-shirt and tell all your friends that you're now from the hood and "down" with some guy called O.P.P.

A second year pay bump? Not really, just fly and upgrade your second year. We're still offering an illegal signing bonus, so there's that too. One of the perks of being a year two guy is paying union dues, and we let you start using the crew room.

As far as contracts... no one knows, but I agree we will probably keep them. Anyone who tells you different is selling something (movie quote).

I know it all sounds too good to be true, we have our share of problems, just like every airline. But we have fun here, we get paid, we double wave to each other and especially skywest, we get our time, we get to have sticky hands in the snack basket and as someone rightfully noted, we can stand up in the lavs. If you fly with me, we will most likely laugh for 3 days straight about something.

Party's over here homie

Vectors4
11-24-2017, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info!

Poser765
11-24-2017, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the info!Any time. Good luck deciding!

MrBogardi
11-24-2017, 10:55 PM
Yup, agree with all. My 1 bed apt was 1215/mo 7 mi south of LAX. There are RELATIVELY decent prices out there but you gotta look. I think you will find something around $1200-1400 without too much trouble. Is it crazy? Yes. But you can go back to Denver with a straight outta Compton t-shirt and tell all your friends that you're now from the hood and "down" with some guy called O.P.P.

A second year pay bump? Not really, just fly and upgrade your second year. We're still offering an illegal signing bonus, so there's that too. One of the perks of being a year two guy is paying union dues, and we let you start using the crew room.

As far as contracts... no one knows, but I agree we will probably keep them. Anyone who tells you different is selling something (movie quote).

I know it all sounds too good to be true, we have our share of problems, just like every airline. But we have fun here, we get paid, we double wave to each other and especially skywest, we get our time, we get to have sticky hands in the snack basket and as someone rightfully noted, we can stand up in the lavs. If you fly with me, we will most likely laugh for 3 days straight about something.

Party's over here homie

Upgrade 2nd year? Where do you work?

BobbyLeeSwagger
11-25-2017, 03:42 AM

I don't really work

jungle driver
11-25-2017, 07:53 AM

I'll be upgrading at 2 years and 2 months so not really that far off and I think those times will start to come down a bit for guys hired now.

Vectors4
11-25-2017, 07:28 PM

I'll be upgrading at 2 years and 2 months so not really that far off and I think those times will start to come down a bit for guys hired now.

Compass career page (http://www.compassairline.com/careers/Pages/Pilots.aspx)

According to the career page on the right side bar up top it says October 2015 captains at all bases. These aren't necessarily* people with previous 121 experience, or some sort soft landings? Just regular ol' hires? That's pretty much amazing!

VIRotate
11-26-2017, 12:57 AM
Compass career page (http://www.compassairline.com/careers/Pages/Pilots.aspx)

According to the career page on the right side bar up top it says October 2015 captains at all bases. These aren't necessarily* people with previous 121 experience, or some sort soft landings? Just regular ol' hires? That's pretty much amazing!

Nope the guys you see upgrading are all 1000 company hour guys. For now the previous 121 guys are in line with the rest of us. Still 2 years isn't bad. Actually it takes about 1.5-2 years to get 1000 121 if you factor in training and reserve. Unless you work yourself to death. Power to those guys but I bid max days off.

LOCdawg
12-08-2017, 05:32 PM
Just got hired at CPZ. Pretty stoked about it!
However, I noticed they changed the hotel during training to double occupancy. Anyone know if that's something that can be changed or requested at orientation? I saw some other posts mention it but didn't see any definitive answer.

Note: I am a millennial, but not an entitled one...just a mil dude that's kind of over bunking up with other guys

poorflyer
12-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Just got hired at CPZ. Pretty stoked about it!
However, I noticed they changed the hotel during training to double occupancy. Anyone know if that's something that can be changed or requested at orientation? I saw some other posts mention it but didn't see any definitive answer.

Note: I am a millennial, but not an entitled one...just a mil dude that's kind of over bunking up with other guys

Doesn't hurt to ask but I'm sure the company is trying to recoup any costs of having 17.5k bonuses. The good thing is you'll always have a study buddy I guess.

speedbird618
12-09-2017, 01:18 PM
The hotel is two people in a unit at the Sonesta Suites. There is an upstairs loft bedroom, and two beds in a area below this. No doors all open plan, but you do have privacy, a front room area with a fire place, a dinning area and a full kitchen with all the pots and pans etc. Two bathrooms, breakfast each day, and some food Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Vans to take you to training, stores etc. Check out their website.

CrowneVic
12-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Great thread. I like the upbeat vibe from current pilots at the company. Good indicator.

How is training, i.e., quality, success rates, AQP or not?

For junior FOs bidding max days off, what can you expect to get within a few months of hire?

Is there a commuting policy?

Overnight hotels decent?

Are 1000 company hours required to upgrade, or can you do it with 1000 121?

Appreciate the info!

Bulldozzer
12-09-2017, 03:30 PM
Great thread. I like the upbeat vibe from current pilots at the company. Good indicator.

For junior FOs bidding max days off, what can you expect to get within a few months of hire?

Overnight hotels decent?

Appreciate the info!

Don't worry you won't upgrade until you get at least 1,000 at this company

JetDoc
12-09-2017, 03:56 PM

AQP, you will not be spoon fed. Lot's-o CBT's. I understand the washout rate is up due to barrel bottom scraping.

Currently we have F/O's who have been here a year still sitting reserve. Times are coming down though. I would plan at least six months on reserve if hired today. Could be more, could be less.

Yes. 2 documented attempts with seats available at time of booking.

Overnight hotels decent?

Most cities, yes. Four Points, Embassy Suites, Double Tree. No La Quinta's or Red Roofs.

1000 121. I upgraded in 6 months with 121 time from another carrier. That won't happen now though. Currently upgrade is in the 18 month to 2 year range I believe regardless of the amount of 121 time one might have.

Appreciate the info!

Your mileage may vary.

poorflyer
12-09-2017, 03:58 PM

Overnight hotels decent?

Appreciate the info!

Edit: Jetdoc beat me to it! Oh well here's my take.

Training was okay, I don't have another airline to compare it to but it's definitely setup where you should come in knowing most the memory items, call outs, procedures, and general systems. If you are prepared for the next step a week before you are pretty good. We do have AQP, not sure of our wash out rate and even then I'm sure it's a oscillating thing so some people may say we have a lot failing one time and no failures another.

For days off I think I got 13-14 when junior. The floors have been raised for the holiday season so probably less. I'm mid seniority and have 16 days off this month even with raised floor

We do have commuting policy, you have to try to get on at least 2 flights. We also have 4 commuter hotels a month to help with crash pads.

Overnight hotels are pretty good, there's some cities that just don't have much overall selection so it's the best we can do. My issue is some are kinda in the boonies with not more than a one restaurant and one fast food location for things to do but oh well, the rooms are clean and spacious and mostly quiet.

1000 121 SIC to upgrade but the upgrade time has increased to about 27 months so you'll have plenty of SIC time, no more bypasses here.

alwayshangry
12-11-2017, 03:12 PM
I have offers for Compass and GoJet. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. Seeing as they are both owned by Trans States Holdings I thought it was simply a matter of do I want to live in Seattle or Denver, but I'm getting the vibe that Compass is the better airline? Thoughts?

BobbyLeeSwagger
12-11-2017, 03:32 PM
I have offers for Compass and GoJet. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. Seeing as they are both owned by Trans States Holdings I thought it was simply a matter of do I want to live in Seattle or Denver, but I'm getting the vibe that Compass is the better airline? Thoughts?

I love the forum handle haha. Come to Compass. Movement will be good next year and we have a great pilot group. That's all I got.

N200NN
12-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Come to Compass. Movement will be good next year and we have a great pilot group. That's all I got.

and engines under the wing, brah!

VIRotate
12-11-2017, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't recommend GoJet. If you want to go to DL for example, they pretty much don't hire from those two airlines. Sure you will hear about the friend of a friend's son who was hired but still, it's extremely rare. My .02.

PDPilot
12-14-2017, 07:28 AM
Looking at the Compass website, one of the hiring requirements is Current ATP Written. But when I look at recent interviews on Aviation Interviews, many responded "No" under the ATP Written.

Waiting for a call back from a recruiter but thought the forum could provide some clarification. Thanks for the response.

VIRotate
12-14-2017, 07:40 AM
Looking at the Compass website, one of the hiring requirements is Current ATP Written. But when I look at recent interviews on Aviation Interviews, many responded "No" under the ATP Written.

Waiting for a call back from a recruiter but thought the forum could provide some clarification. Thanks for the response.

Nope you donít need one. They will send you to the CTP course and then you take your ATP before day 1 of class. I actually think we had a guy studying for his written while in class.

PDPilot
12-14-2017, 08:06 AM
Nope you donít need one. They will send you to the CTP course and then you take your ATP before day 1 of class. I actually think we had a guy studying for his written while in class.

Thank you. That will speed up the application a bit

BobbyLeeSwagger
12-14-2017, 08:55 AM

PM sent, glad you are moving forward with the app!

VIRotate
12-14-2017, 09:43 AM

Good to hear! Good luck!

WD08
12-19-2017, 03:59 PM
I'm putting the finishing touches on my application and from reading through the forum it seems like a lot of people are trying to or getting PHX right out of the gate. Is it because it's new? What are the chances of getting SEA? Which of the three bases is the "senior" base?

BobbyLeeSwagger
12-19-2017, 04:15 PM
I'm putting the finishing touches on my application and from reading through the forum it seems like a lot of people are trying to or getting PHX right out of the gate. Is it because it's new? What are the chances of getting SEA? Which of the three bases is the "senior" base?

According to our latest vacancy from today, apparantly LAX is senior.. never thought I'd say That! (After base shuffling, it will probably be the case that one can get any base out of training)

PDPilot
12-20-2017, 09:52 AM
I've scheduled my Class 1 medical and the Dr asked if I needed an EKG. I'm 48 years old. I said yes, but does Compass require it? I've called the airline several times but only get voicemail. No returned call, yet. Thanks.

PDPilot
12-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Right now is the time to come to compass. The movement in early 2018 should be crazy

Not sure if my previous post went through....

I'm getting Class 1 physical tomorrow. Does Compass/121 require EKG? I tried calling Compass but only get voicemail. Thanks.

GrumpyBear
12-21-2017, 02:09 PM
I got my class 1 yesterday and got an EKG. I'm 42. I have an interview with Compass on 16 JAN.

poorflyer
12-21-2017, 03:13 PM
I think the point being EKG is for 40+ I believe.

Poser765
12-21-2017, 05:07 PM
I think the point being EKG is for 40+ I believe.have to get ONE at 35. Then one every year above 40.

PDPilot
12-21-2017, 07:28 PM
have to get ONE at 35. Then one every year above 40.

Thanks, Yes, that's exactly what the Doc said.

TillerTemptress
12-21-2017, 07:41 PM

A) It's new
B) It's a cheap area to live
C) A lot of flight instruction/training goes on in PHX and they want to come work for a non-mesa regional
Right now, all three bases can be held out of training and I wouldn't say one base is more senior than the others. Because PHX is small and will never get very large, it's thought that it will stay more senior as some PHX people have to make the quick trip to LAX. But that hasn't happened yet.

word302
12-22-2017, 12:47 PM
Not sure if my previous post went through....

I'm getting Class 1 physical tomorrow. Does Compass/121 require EKG? I tried calling Compass but only get voicemail. Thanks.

FAR/AIM is your friend. I'm not saying this to be a wise ass. Don't trust anyone else to make sure you are following the regs. It will eventually bite you.

3PerRev
12-23-2017, 06:35 AM
Has anyone out there used the rotor transition program that Compass offers? I meet all the mins except the multi time. Any thoughts on the program from those out in the field?

Taco280AI
12-23-2017, 07:42 PM
I'm using it now. There have been some delays getting payments to the school figured out, but they just started this program and are learning how to do it themselves. Basically you fly, they pay. Whatever you have left at the end goes to you.

3PerRev
12-24-2017, 04:29 AM
Glad it's working and the bugs are being figured out. Good luck!

WingedCelt
12-25-2017, 08:40 PM
Gentlemen in this thread,

If you are current/prior military, all branches, Guard Reserve or otherwise, I encourage you to reach out to me and or PM me . I will be one of your best friends to have at this company when you get started.

Anyone who has asked me for guidance or assistance can attest to this fact.

3PerRev
12-26-2017, 06:04 AM
Sounds good. Always better to learn from those that have done it. I'm sure there's some quote about not reinventing the wheel or something.

Flyinlynn
01-03-2018, 09:37 PM
Gentlemen in this thread,

If you are current/prior military, all branches, Guard Reserve or otherwise, I encourage you to reach out to me and or PM me . I will be one of your best friends to have at this company when you get started.

Anyone who has asked me for guidance or assistance can attest to this fact.

Does this apply to female veterans as well? Eight years US Army mechanic.

3PerRev
01-04-2018, 12:20 AM
Are you referring to WingedCelt's offer or the rotor transition program? I'm happy to share what I've learned about the program.

Taco280AI
01-04-2018, 03:44 AM
Only a month until I'm done with my ratings/time building!

3PerRev
01-04-2018, 04:32 AM
Only a month until I'm done with my ratings/time building!Rock on! I start my ME training tomorrow. See you down the way.

WingedCelt
01-05-2018, 09:08 AM
Does this apply to female veterans as well? Eight years US Army mechanic.

Especially mechanics, feel free to reach out. We're you a 15 series?

Beechnutz
01-05-2018, 10:44 AM
So who here wants a referral bonus?

I'm putting in my app. I'm a current OO guy flying the CRJ. Live in PHX and can't stomach the wait to hold it, let alone the fact that I won't be able to upgrade and hold PHX for at least 5 years. Commuting sucks, especially on reserve.

Alright who's name should I put in the referral box on the app?

poorflyer
01-05-2018, 11:13 AM

I'm putting in my app. I'm a current OO guy flying the CRJ. Live in PHX and can't stomach the wait to hold it, let alone the fact that I won't be able to upgrade and hold PHX for at least 5 years. Commuting sucks, especially on reserve.

Where are you based now? I have a feeling PHX is nearly properly staffed which means it may become unattainable out of training. Also think it will have long reserve. Just a heads up, don't want you to lose seniority for something equal or even less in QOL.

Beechnutz
01-05-2018, 11:44 AM
COS on reserve for next two months until I can get back to ORD or MSP to hold a line. That will still be a 4hr commute for next 6-8months before in even have a chance to hold a line in PHX. Then if I upgrade at that time Iíll be back in DTW for the rest of my time at OO.

Sure seems like I could come over to Compass and at least have a shorter commute.

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-05-2018, 11:45 AM

I will refer anyone who promises to double wave OO if they come.

Beechnutz
01-05-2018, 12:01 PM
So u want me to put Bob Lee Swagger on the app?

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-05-2018, 12:10 PM
So u want me to put Bob Lee Swagger on the app?

Ha! That would be pretty funny, but I think it would hurt your chances. Let us know if you are not hearing from anyone though.

VIRotate
01-05-2018, 01:09 PM
Where are you based now? I have a feeling PHX is nearly properly staffed which means it may become unattainable out of training. Also think it will have long reserve. Just a heads up, don't want you to lose seniority for something equal or even less in QOL.

Yeah but the movement that is going to start soon...itís going to move fast. Youíll have CAs leaving and all these new guys coming online. March-May should be interesting. I think he would be able to hold PHX in less than 3 months.

Beechnutz
01-05-2018, 01:21 PM
Yeah but the movement that is going to start soon...itís going to move fast. Youíll have CAs leaving and all these new guys coming online. March-May should be interesting. I think he would be able to hold PHX in less than 3 months.

That would be way better than my current outlook!

VIRotate
01-05-2018, 02:11 PM
That would be way better than my current outlook!

Oh yeah. Well thatís the downfall of sky weezy having a base in every city (SAN, BOI, etc). They are so small and take forever to hold. Thatís why west coast guys, especially 175 guys, will end up in DTW or ORD on a CRJ and commuting across the country if the want to upgrade in less than 2 years. I do it and itís absolutely terrible. Wouldnít recommend it. If you want PHX and the 175 without having to worry about commuting across the US, Compass is the place. The bonus certainly helps.

Flyinlynn
01-06-2018, 10:51 PM
Especially mechanics, feel free to reach out. We're you a 15 series?

More interested in pilot jobs. 1550 hours total time 50 multi. COM, SEL, MEL,SES, CFI

I hear MOS numbers have changed after I got out. I was 63H track vehicle repair and recovery or in normal English a tank mechanic.

Taco280AI
01-07-2018, 11:20 AM
Whats the current training time for a newb for everything? Will be done with time building and ratings in about one month.

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-07-2018, 11:23 AM
Whats the current training time for a newb for everything? Will be done with time building and ratings in about one month.

With no delays, it should be around 9 weeks. Add a month for IOE and paperwork to go through before you are totally done...

PDPilot
01-13-2018, 05:19 AM
For those of you thinking of applying, this is what my application timeline looked like

12/24 - Submitted application.
1/2 - Received call from pilot recruiter. Interview set for 1/11.
1/11 - Interview in Phoenix. 4 applicants. I know 3 of us were hired. Not sure of 4th as he was gone before I finished my interview.

Recruiters gave me choice of start date. I chose:

1/31 - 2/7 - ATP CTP
2/8 - One day in MSP.
2/8 - 2/25 -- Home study
2/25 -- ??? - Training MSP

Hope this helps. Per recruiters, hiring 400 pilots this year and all three bases are open

JetDoc
01-13-2018, 08:41 AM
For those of you thinking of applying, this is what my application timeline looked like

12/24 - Submitted application.
1/2 - Received call from pilot recruiter. Interview set for 1/11.
1/11 - Interview in Phoenix. 4 applicants. I know 3 of us were hired. Not sure of 4th as he was gone before I finished my interview.

Recruiters gave me choice of start date. I chose:

1/31 - 2/7 - ATP CTP
2/8 - One day in MSP.
2/8 - 2/25 -- Home study
2/25 -- ??? - Training MSP

Hope this helps. Per recruiters, hiring 400 pilots this year and all three bases are open

We'll be lucky if we see 100.

Taco280AI
01-13-2018, 08:53 AM
Do they take care of all flights and lodging? Read we are responsible to get to MSP initially...

poorflyer
01-13-2018, 09:07 AM
Do they take care of all flights and lodging? Read we are responsible to get to MSP initially...

The old way was you'd pay your way to get to first day of orientation where you'd receive your badge so you could jumpseat home. Not sure if that's changed for this round of hiring.

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-13-2018, 09:13 AM
The old way was you'd pay your way to get to first day of orientation where you'd receive your badge so you could jumpseat home. Not sure if that's changed for this round of hiring.

Talk to a new hire recently who said people still gotta pay the first leg. But they will positive space you to CTP school if needed.

flydiamond
01-13-2018, 10:26 AM
Talk to a new hire recently who said people still gotta pay the first leg. But they will positive space you to CTP school if needed.

Wow. As an outsider from another regional, I don't understand how in this day and age of competing for new pilot hires the company can't simply provide positive space travel to the first day of training and makes the new hire pay!?

I understand that MSP is probably considered the pilot's domicile during training but that is asinine considering it's not an actual crew base....

What is this, 2007?

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-13-2018, 10:38 AM
Wow. As an outsider from another regional, I don't understand how in this day and age of competing for new pilot hires the company can't simply provide positive space travel to the first day of training and makes the new hire pay!?

I understand that MSP is probably considered the pilot's domicile during training but that is asinine considering it's not an actual crew base....

What is this, 2007?

You are 100% correct.

PDPilot
01-13-2018, 11:07 AM

As I understand it...Positive space to/from CTP. Company pays for hotel. No pay during week as we are not an employee yet.

We are responsible for airfare to get to MSP and hotel the night before. But you can schedule it so you go from CTP class directly to MSP, so company is picks up the airfare. You are responsible for the hotel in MSP, still. Yes, once you get your badge, can jumpseat home.

Poser765
01-13-2018, 12:31 PM

What is this, 2007?some aspects of our training program are tragically out of date. This is definitely one of those things. Unfortunately, they are slow to adapt.

PDPilot
01-16-2018, 05:54 PM
I attend the ATP class in Dallas on 1/31. I bought Sheppard Air and Iím well into the questions.

Is the class through CAE?

Is there ďhomeworkĒ each night? Does drinking from the firehouse start during this class?

Weekend off or 7 straight?

Thanks in advance.

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-16-2018, 06:29 PM
I attend the ATP class in Dallas on 1/31. I bought Sheppard Air and Iím well into the questions.

Is there ďhomeworkĒ each night? Does drinking from the firehouse start during this class?

Thanks in advance.

It should be through CAE, no homework, just an exit exam of which they will spoon feed you ahead of time. It's pretty laid back, more fun than stressful. I think there was one day off. Ground school was fantastic when I did it. Interesting, engaging, good instructor staff, mostly retired 121 folks with awesome stories. I think if you have a good attitude and give at least 75% effort, you will do just fine. I had a lot of fun and took it seriously and it gave me a nice head start for compass training, helped me be successful. I'm glad they have this now, plus I like free stuff.

3PerRev
01-18-2018, 01:10 PM
Putting together everything for my interview and I'm wondering how important recommendations are?

Capt Ruby Pubes
01-18-2018, 01:21 PM
Putting together everything for my interview and I'm wondering how important recommendations are?

Are you breathing? I think thatís all thatís required now a days.

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-18-2018, 01:24 PM

Wearing a UND/ERAU/ATP lanyard at your interview is all the recommendation you need

VIRotate
01-18-2018, 01:24 PM

Yeah not too important. At the majors, for sure but as long as you are a good candidate, it doesn't really matter. Unless it's a CPZ pilot recommending you. Then by god let him get that bonus.

3PerRev
01-18-2018, 01:36 PM
Well then.....The heart is still beating so I guess I see everyone on the flight line. I assume the callsign "Maverick" is taken, right? At what point of training do they cover this "double wave" I read so much about?

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Well then.....The heart is still beating so I guess I see everyone on the flight line. I assume the callsign "Maverick" is taken, right? At what point of training do they cover this "double wave" I read so much about?

Yes but,

"Snow Cone"
"Dirty Deeds"
"Cheap Taco"
And "Sunflower" are still available. "Silky" is also taken.

Double wave is covered during IOE. there might be a PowerPoint slide somewhere during ground school, but it's not the same

VIRotate
01-18-2018, 01:43 PM

You'll learn about double waving on the line. It's an important skill to have. Essentially it's a running joke that we do because when you wave to OO, you just get the double thousand yard stare. So we make up for it by double waving to fellow CPZ pilots.

We were head to head in the box in LA and they were staring at us and we were staring at them. I started waving and they just stared at me. I just kept waving until they got uncomfortable and the FO returned a little wave back. Why they don't wave to us, no idea. I wave to everyone. Though I did have one OO crew give me a nice bro wave. You know the thumb and pinky out. That was nice.

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-18-2018, 01:44 PM
Though I did have one OO crew give me a nice bro wave. You know the thumb and pinky out. That was nice.

That guy probably applied to compass last spring during the freeze. Such a shame

VIRotate
01-18-2018, 02:13 PM
That guy probably applied to compass last spring during the freeze. Such a shame

Hahaha probably!

GrumpyBear
01-18-2018, 03:59 PM
Alright guys...interviewed last Tuesday and was given a CJO. Super excited to start at Compass! Indoc set for March 8th. ATP/CTP set for late February. Started studying for the written using Sheppard Air. Per what the CA's were saying at the interviews, all bases are open. Hoping to get LAX. Looking forward to working hard and being out on the line. Any suggestions/advice from guys/gals already with Compass, fire away!

Taco280AI
01-18-2018, 04:03 PM
See you there

PDPilot
01-18-2018, 06:42 PM
Alright guys...interviewed last Tuesday and was given a CJO. Super excited to start at Compass! Indoc set for March 8th. ATP/CTP set for late February. Started studying for the written using Sheppard Air. Per what the CA's were saying at the interviews, all bases are open. Hoping to get LAX. Looking forward to working hard and being out on the line. Any suggestions/advice from guys/gals already with Compass, fire away!

FYI...
I'm scheduled for ATP-CTP Jan 31. I received an email from ATP yesterday. They provide you a subscription to Sheppard Air for free.

Good luck!

TillerThriller
01-18-2018, 08:16 PM
R they considering you based in MSP during training still? I thought the contract said they couldnít base you where there are no line pilots currently based? Everyone should be getting per Diem the whole time if I read it right which will add to the check.

GrumpyBear
01-18-2018, 09:07 PM
Per what the CA's were saying at the interviews, first day of indoc you would pick your base. I would assume that if, say awarded LAX, you'd be considered LAX based from that point. As far as perdiem goes, not sure what we would get while in MSP for training. Seniority would be based on age in your class per the CA's.

VIRotate
01-18-2018, 09:39 PM

Welcome aboard! PM me if you have any questions.

Pilatipus
01-19-2018, 08:23 AM

Thanks in advance.

The ATP course comes with a subscription for sheppard air. Give sheppard a call and they will refund your money. Then you can spend that $80 on jimmy johns during the course.

Its done at atp jets. Four days of classroom work(power points), no homework or studying just a simple 30 question test at the end. Ask the class that is there before you about the... umm...."study guide" that is floating around. After that they will schedule your sims. There are five lessons, most people did two per day in four hour blocks but its random and subject to change. You take the written on the last day exactly one week from when you started.

Hope that helps!

pilot4545
01-19-2018, 09:13 AM
How many people are we seeing on average in orientation each week?

VIRotate
01-20-2018, 02:11 AM
How many people are we seeing on average in orientation each week?

There are usually about 6-8, 4 classes a month. Been hiring 20-30 guys a month (actual bodies in class not turning down the CJO). Shooting for 40 but hey Iíll take it.

week
01-21-2018, 01:50 PM
Good to see all the new guys posting. You guys are arriving at the right time. Going to be minimal reserve and quick upgrades for yíall if everything goes as expected

fastforward
01-21-2018, 03:56 PM
The ATP course comes with a subscription for sheppard air. Give sheppard a call and they will refund your money. Then you can spend that $80 on jimmy johns during the course.

Its done at atp jets. Four days of classroom work(power points), no homework or studying just a simple 30 question test at the end. Ask the class that is there before you about the... umm...."study guide" that is floating around. After that they will schedule your sims. There are five lessons, most people did two per day in four hour blocks but its random and subject to change. You take the written on the last day exactly one week from when you started.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the info, Iíll be there in a few weeks also.

Is there not a sim proficiency check at the end or just the written?

Motoxer66
01-23-2018, 07:51 AM
R they considering you based in MSP during training still? I thought the contract said they couldnít base you where there are no line pilots currently based? Everyone should be getting per Diem the whole time if I read it right which will add to the check.

Yes
Thats a current battle for us current trainees. I have personally brought it up with ALPA and payroll, theres no real direction on when thats going to happen yet unfortunately. But I agree with the way you read and understand the language. :D

My hope is after enough of us bugging and ALPA sticking their nose in they will fold and follow the contract.

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-23-2018, 12:22 PM
Newest vacancy out, all bases still available!

GrumpyBear
01-23-2018, 04:16 PM
Alright!! hoping that's still the case on 8 March!! Come On LAX!!!

Beechnutz
01-23-2018, 04:33 PM

Sweet one week and 2 days till orientation!

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-23-2018, 08:03 PM
Yes
Thats a current battle for us current trainees. I have personally brought it up with ALPA and payroll, theres no real direction on when thats going to happen yet unfortunately. But I agree with the way you read and understand the language. :D

My hope is after enough of us bugging and ALPA sticking their nose in they will fold and follow the contract.

You guys are awesome, glad you are holding them to the contract from day 1. I like it!! Welcome to the pilot group

Motoxer66
01-24-2018, 08:58 AM
You guys are awesome, glad you are holding them to the contract from day 1. I like it!! Welcome to the pilot group

https://www.thewrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/celebrity-big-brother-140913-gary-busey.jpg

pilot4545
01-24-2018, 09:35 AM
Hey guys,

When did they expect you to have your ATP written done and certificate in hand?

Motoxer66
01-24-2018, 12:14 PM
Hey guys,

When did they expect you to have your ATP written done and certificate in hand?

The order events is as follows.

Get through ATP-CTP course, hence shiny certificate.

Go take the written, hence one of many boxes checked.

Having said that I imagine they want the written done before indoc, also DO NOT let them keep your written exam results(this happened to many of my classmates). They should make a copy and give it back before you leave. Or even better supply said copy and save the trouble. ;)

TroutBum
01-24-2018, 01:21 PM

Question from a Mil guy (with the usual lack of 121 world experience). What is the process to move from domicile to domicile? For example, say a person had ready-made place to crash in PHX for reserve; but would take a much easier commute to SEA when a line there became available. What is involved when the pilot is ready to make the move?

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-24-2018, 01:35 PM
Question from a Mil guy (with the usual lack of 121 world experience). What is the process to move from domicile to domicile? For example, say a person had ready-made place to crash in PHX for reserve; but would take a much easier commute to SEA when a line there became available. What is involved when the pilot is ready to make the move?

Its fairly easy, vacancies come out once a month for a few months in future. For example, the vacancy open right now is for the April bidding period. If you were awarded the base, it would show when bidding for April opens up on March 10th. Each month this process repeats.

There are no limits to how often you can change bases. Just know that once it's awarded you are at least committed to that respective month. If you were to bid somewhere else or "back" to PHX for May, you would still have to serve your time in April wherever you were awarded. Make sense?

TroutBum
01-24-2018, 01:40 PM
Its fairly easy, vacancies come out once a month for a few months in future. For example, the vacancy open right now is for the April bidding period. If you were awarded the base, it would show when bidding for April opens up on March 10th. Each month this process repeats.

There are no limits to how often you can change bases. Just know that once it's awarded you are at least committed to that respective month. If you were to bid somewhere else or "back" to PHX for May, you would still have to serve your time in April wherever you were awarded. Make sense?

Gotcha. Thanks!

PDPilot
01-26-2018, 07:17 AM
Anyone been to the 1 day hire date in MSP lately? I understand we are sent home with home study material.

I'll be there on Feb 8. Besides a jacket, should I plan on bringing an extra backpack for the flight manuals, reference material, etc?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks.

VIRotate
01-26-2018, 04:43 PM
Day 1 you get your binder, iPad, ID, etc. You donít need to write anything down unless you want to take notes on Nonrev stuff and how to JS. Bring a backpack, put binder and iPad in binder and youíre good to go. Good luck and have fun!

Or you can stuff it all into your suitcase. Either way works.

Not You
01-27-2018, 02:07 PM
New guy here. Where is our employee parking lot at LAX?

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-27-2018, 02:18 PM
New guy here. Where is our employee parking lot at LAX?

Across the street from the fruit lady

http://i68.tinypic.com/2itfqeh.jpg

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-27-2018, 02:30 PM
Adjacent to the uber lot

http://i66.tinypic.com/5ufw5l.jpg

Not You
01-27-2018, 02:34 PM
Like the photos. Cross streets?

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-27-2018, 02:50 PM

Standing at the bus stop, at the edge of the parking lot, you can see this inspirational sign...

http://i67.tinypic.com/2vvjfpk.jpg

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-27-2018, 02:55 PM

Haha I'm sorry, I'm just playin, 96th and Jenny

Not You
01-27-2018, 03:27 PM
Thanks! Did like the photos, though

poorflyer
01-28-2018, 12:27 PM
Standing at the bus stop, at the edge of the parking lot, you can see this inspirational sign...

http://i67.tinypic.com/2vvjfpk.jpg

Have you seen that distracting billboard near La Cienaga and Century that has straight up movies playing on a billboard in the middle of the street? Who the hell allowed that?

FlytheSky
01-28-2018, 04:30 PM
Have you seen that distracting billboard near La Cienaga and Century that has straight up movies playing on a billboard in the middle of the street? Who the hell allowed that?

That was my entertainment to watch at the old LAX Commuter hotel...

Fr8Thrust
01-28-2018, 11:10 PM
That was my entertainment to watch at the old LAX Commuter hotel...

What a $***h*le that place was!

VIRotate
01-29-2018, 12:16 PM
What a $***h*le that place was!

Pour one for the homies that had to endure that place. May new hires never have to step foot in there.

Poser765
01-29-2018, 03:07 PM
Pour one for the homies that had to endure that place. May new hires never have to step foot in there.it's possible that I just got used to it, but I didn't mind it... That much

VIRotate
01-29-2018, 05:21 PM
it's possible that I just got used to it, but I didn't mind it... That much

Got my CC info stolen more than once at the Arco gas station...First time at the pump...okay don't get gas there, second time inside the store...clearly an employee. Sketchy. So happy to be out of there. Now we are in walking distance of a Chipotle. You know the area is much better when that becomes a reality.

Poser765
01-29-2018, 05:53 PM
Got my CC info stolen more than once at the Arco gas station...First time at the pump...okay don't get gas there, second time inside the store...clearly an employee. Sketchy. So happy to be out of there. Now we are in walking distance of a Chipotle. You know the area is much better when that becomes a reality.That sucks. I've heard some pretty awful stories from people there. I guess I just got lucky. Never had a problem. I did see a guy stumble into the McDonald's after getting Maced one night. He was in bad shape.

Yeah the new place is great.

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-29-2018, 05:56 PM
I did see a guy stumble into the McDonald's after getting Maced one night. He was in bad shape.

That was me.

VIRotate
01-30-2018, 01:47 AM
That was me.

Classic Bobby! :p

Stan Dingbye
02-01-2018, 08:43 AM
Interview in a couple of weeks. Question for you folks in LA - how ďsame dayĒ commutable are the lines? Early show times? Late release so you canít get a flight home? Iíd be commuting from OAK.

Also, how is commuting to reserve? Long and short call, airport? Safe to assume as the FNG you get the poop end of the stick on all of this?

Coming from the 135 world and looking for an incremental improvement in the suck factor, ya know?

Fr8Thrust
02-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Interview in a couple of weeks. Question for you folks in LA - how ďsame dayĒ commutable are the lines? Early show times? Late release so you canít get a flight home? Iíd be commuting from OAK.

Also, how is commuting to reserve? Long and short call, airport? Safe to assume as the FNG you get the poop end of the stick on all of this?

Coming from the 135 world and looking for an incremental improvement in the suck factor, ya know?

IMO I think we have the most commutable schedules of any contract airline. With PBS Iíve never had a late release, some early shows, but movement here is good so you wonít have too many. We have quite a few 135 guys here, and Iíll just say the suck doesnít even compare; youíll enjoy it.

boilers2
02-01-2018, 04:18 PM
Under Compass's airline profile it list the first class being slated for June. Can anyone confirm this?

FlytheSky
02-01-2018, 04:32 PM
Under Compass's airline profile it list the first class being slated for June. Can anyone confirm this?

That was June 2017. We're running classes continuously now. Starting every week.

boilers2
02-01-2018, 04:54 PM
That was June 2017. We're running classes continuously now. Starting every week.

Awesome, thanks man

Bogeywan
02-02-2018, 02:46 PM
Question:
How long once I interview will I have to select a class? Is there a minimum or maximum time frame to decide?
Reason Iím asking is that Iíll be leaving the Army late this year around December. I know for instance, Envoy holds your spot up to a year after you interview but others may only hold your spot for 6 months. If anyone knows how Compass holds class dates after the interview it would be much appreciated!

3PerRev
02-02-2018, 04:46 PM
Question:
How long once I interview will I have to select a class? Is there a minimum or maximum time frame to decide?
Reason Iím asking is that Iíll be leaving the Army late this year around December. I know for instance, Envoy holds your spot up to a year after you interview but others may only hold your spot for 6 months. If anyone knows how Compass holds class dates after the interview it would be much appreciated!Offers are good for 12 months

Bogeywan
02-03-2018, 06:18 AM
Offers are good for 12 months

Thanks for the info 3PerRev!

Beechnutz
02-03-2018, 08:44 AM
When are the base assignments awarded?

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-03-2018, 08:48 AM
When are the base assignments awarded?

Usually last week of each month

Beechnutz
02-03-2018, 08:59 AM
Thanks Bobby.

Started Thursday fingers crossed for PHX.

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-03-2018, 09:45 AM
Thanks Bobby.

Started Thursday fingers crossed for PHX.

Awesome, rootin for ya! So far I've seen PHX awards every month for new hires so be hopeful!

flyjustinfly
02-03-2018, 09:59 AM
Awesome, rootin for ya! So far I've seen PHX awards every month for new hires so be hopeful!

Which base would be best for picking up open time?

Does anyone have the count of daily flights from each of the 3 hubs?

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-03-2018, 10:14 AM
Which base would be best for picking up open time?

Does anyone have the count of daily flights from each of the 3 hubs?

You can pick up open time out of any base and you can see all opentime, so you can look and see what works best for you.

Fr8Thrust
02-08-2018, 12:17 AM
First Officer
Year 1: $41.51
Year 2: $42.34
Year 3: $45.05
Year 4: $46.89
Year 5: $48.08
Year 6: $49.26
Year 7: $50.38
Year 8: $51.41
Year 9: $51.63

Captain
Year 1: $69.08
Year 2: $71.37
Year 3: $73.78
Year 4: $76.06
Year 5: $78.38
Year 6: $80.79
Year 7: $83.08
Year 8: $85.63
Year 9: $88.51
Year 10Ė18: $91.48Ė114.04

emersonbiguns
02-08-2018, 05:46 AM
What is short call reserve time? (i.e. what is the time allowed between call and show?)

I was wondering if I could make the drive from Tucson if called.

Beechnutz
02-08-2018, 07:17 AM
What is short call reserve time? (i.e. what is the time allowed between call and show?)

2hrs so Tucson would be pushing it.

Excargodog
02-08-2018, 07:56 AM

Pretty dicey with any sort of traffic...

GrassLandings
02-08-2018, 08:55 AM
How bad is it with traffic? One could consider short call 2 h 20 mins. We have to call back within 20 mins of a Voicemail. So 20 mins plus the 2 hours from time of notification (when u call back). But that extra 20 is just insurance, definitly plan to make it within 2 hours. Also, consider the time from parking to getting to a gate. In LAX, that can be 45mins due to how far parking is and how bad the traffic is while on the parking lot shuttle. Im not familiar with PHX. In my opinion, if under normal traffic, it's an hour and 45, you should be ok. If you get a two hour call, and traffic is abnormally bad, well, that's life. We can't control that. But maybe someone else here can chime in as to how scheduling may accept that scenario.
Also, not all RSV calls will be 2 hours. I can't speak of RSV recently as I haven't been on it, but when I was, I usually got 6 hours plus, or even the day before. Maybe a handfull of 2-4 hour notifications. But someone who has been on RSV recently may have a different experience.
I know some guys in LAX who live more than 2 hours with traffic will spend the day somewhere half way between home and the airport to be in position for a 2 hour call.

emersonbiguns
02-08-2018, 09:58 AM
Thanks for all the details, that's what I was looking for.

Wouldn't ever risk it, would plan on pre-staging closer if nothing had come prior to the start of the actual reserve period.

mpet
02-08-2018, 10:44 AM
How bad is it with traffic? One could consider short call 2 h 20 mins. We have to call back within 20 mins of a Voicemail. So 20 mins plus the 2 hours from time of notification (when u call back). But that extra 20 is just insurance, definitly plan to make it within 2 hours. Also, consider the time from parking to getting to a gate. In LAX, that can be 45mins due to how far parking is and how bad the traffic is while on the parking lot shuttle. Im not familiar with PHX. In my opinion, if under normal traffic, it's an hour and 45, you should be ok. If you get a two hour call, and traffic is abnormally bad, well, that's life. We can't control that. But maybe someone else here can chime in as to how scheduling may accept that scenario.
Also, not all RSV calls will be 2 hours. I can't speak of RSV recently as I haven't been on it, but when I was, I usually got 6 hours plus, or even the day before. Maybe a handfull of 2-4 hour notifications. But someone who has been on RSV recently may have a different experience.
I know some guys in LAX who live more than 2 hours with traffic will spend the day somewhere half way between home and the airport to be in position for a 2 hour call.

It's 2hrs from when they contact you, not when you return their call.

GrassLandings
02-08-2018, 01:07 PM
It's 2hrs from when they contact you, not when you return their call.

But we are required to call back within 15 or 20 mins right? So with that said, some interpret the 2 hour call out fron when real contact is made, because thats what the contract says. Not a missed call or VM. But it's rarely that close, most calls are more than 2 hours anyway.
Maybe I'm entirely wrong. I'll reread the contract. Maybe my memory from RSV is fuzzy.

mpet
02-08-2018, 07:42 PM
But we are required to call back within 15 or 20 mins right? So with that said, some interpret the 2 hour call out fron when real contact is made, because thats what the contract says. Not a missed call or VM. But it's rarely that close, most calls are more than 2 hours anyway.
Maybe I'm entirely wrong. I'll reread the contract. Maybe my memory from RSV is fuzzy.

I don't know I get some rules confused with my last airline.

Av8rPHX
02-08-2018, 07:57 PM
All it takes is one good wreck on the 10 to ruin your day. Especially when there's a dust storm around the CGZ area in the summer. I've seen the 10 closed for hours when that happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sMFer
02-09-2018, 09:17 AM
2 hours from when they call you. And that's to showtime, not push time. So, 2:45 prior to push.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

3PerRev
02-09-2018, 05:39 PM
I thought I saw this info somewhere before, but I can't find it now. Can anyone lend a lost newbie a hand?

Which company does Compass use for ATP-CTP?
The course is 7 straight days, right? No breaks.
What day of the week does the course start on?
Do they give us some latitude to pick the class that works for us?

I trying to see if I can schedule it so that I can go from one job straight to ATP-CTP, Indoc and so on....

alonco82
02-09-2018, 09:04 PM
Anybody knows how long it usually takes them to contact an applicant after online application submission ?

VIRotate
02-09-2018, 09:58 PM
Anybody knows how long it usually takes them to contact an applicant after online application submission ?

It depends. If itís submitted on a Friday after about 2-3pm, not gonna happen. But they will get to it Monday or Tuesday. Depends on how many apps they have. PM me for details. I can ask some friends about it if you havenít heard anything in a few days.

flyjustinfly
02-10-2018, 05:45 AM

I applied on Jan 1 (Holiday) and was called the next morning by 10am

PDPilot
02-10-2018, 06:11 AM
I thought I saw this info somewhere before, but I can't find it now. Can anyone lend a lost newbie a hand?

Which company does Compass use for ATP-CTP?
The course is 7 straight days, right? No breaks.
What day of the week does the course start on?
Do they give us some latitude to pick the class that works for us?

I trying to see if I can schedule it so that I can go from one job straight to ATP-CTP, Indoc and so on....

Four of us took the ATP-CTP class last week. Here are the details:

They use ATP for the class. The location is just a couple of miles from the hotel. The hotel provides a shuttle.

Our class started on a Wednesday. But I believe classes also start on Mondays.

The class is actually eight days, Weds - Weds. The first four are lecture. Then 3 days of sim (4-6 hours each including briefings) and the last day is the ATP Written.

We went directly from Dallas to MSP after the written. Orientation was the next day. During orientation, a ton of information was covered. We were given iPads with the Computer Based Training along with other study aids and sent home for two weeks. Thatís where we are now.

After the conditional job offer, they let me pick the date to start ATP-CTP. If I understand your question correctly, once you go to orientation, you have to go home to study. You cannot start indoc after orientation.

Also, ATP will send you a subscription to Sheppard Air. We all used it and easily passed. Realize, there are 1450ish questions in the database. You will see each question three times, some four times. For me, it was a total of about 5000 questions seen.

Based on the amount of information we have to learn, my suggestion would be to not work between orientation and indoc. Just my opinion.

The recurring theme so far is to work hard in the beginning so you donít sweat towards the end. Iím sure many of the veterans have more info on that.

Message me if you have any other questions. And good luck.

3PerRev
02-10-2018, 06:17 AM
Four of us took the ATP-CTP class last week. Here are the details:

They use ATP for the class. The location is just a couple of miles from the hotel. The hotel provides a shuttle.

Our class started on a Wednesday. But I believe classes also start on Mondays.

The class is actually eight days, Weds - Weds. The first four are lecture. Then 3 days of sim (4-6 hours each including briefings) and the last day is the ATP Written.

We went directly from Dallas to MSP after the written. Orientation was the next day. During orientation, a ton of information was covered. We were given iPads with the Computer Based Training along with other study aids and sent home for two weeks. Thatís where we are now.

After the conditional job offer, they let me pick the date to start ATP-CTP. If I understand your question correctly, once you go to orientation, you have to go home to study. You cannot start indoc after orientation.

Also, ATP will send you a subscription to Sheppard Air. We all used it and easily passed. Realize, there are 1450ish questions in the database. You will see each question three times, some four times. For me, it was a total of about 5000 questions seen.

Based on the amount of information we have to learn, my suggestion would be to not work between orientation and indoc. Just my opinion.

The recurring theme so far is to work hard in the beginning so you donít sweat towards the end. Iím sure many of the veterans have more info on that.

Message me if you have any other questions. And good luck.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. I used Sheppard Air before for my ATP-H written. Definitely the way to go.

boilers2
02-10-2018, 06:17 AM
anyone know how long from interview to class date if you have the req met?

Excargodog
02-10-2018, 06:39 AM
By that do you mean if you already have your ATP and don't need to take the ATP-CTP?

I'd like the answer to that too.

boilers2
02-10-2018, 06:47 AM
By that do you mean if you already have your ATP and don't need to take the ATP-CTP?

I'd like the answer to that too.

That works too. I'm more just trying to get an idea of how full the classes are.

Beechnutz
02-10-2018, 07:53 AM

I went two weeks from interview to first day of orientation. Already had my ATP so no class in Dallas for me.

GrumpyBear
02-13-2018, 11:47 AM
How long before you set out for ATP/CTP does Compass notify you of your flight getting you there? I'm scheduled to attend ATP/CTP in DFW in late February.

PDPilot
02-13-2018, 01:45 PM
How long before you set out for ATP/CTP does Compass notify you of your flight getting you there? I'm scheduled to attend ATP/CTP in DFW in late February.

I left for ATP on 1/30. Emails from
La Quinta. 1/17
ATP. 1/18
Flight info. 1/22

boilers2
02-14-2018, 07:02 AM
Any recent interview information? Heard rumors that they don't do the 50 questions test anymore.

GrumpyBear
02-14-2018, 07:11 AM
No, there is no 50 question test. I just interviewed in mid January. All questions during the interview were TMAAT questions as well as some scenario based ones as well. They want to see your thought process and how you would handle certain situations. The interviews, once there, where based on what time your flight leaves. If you have an early flight, then you go first.

mpet
02-14-2018, 01:40 PM
They got rid of the 50 question test a private pilot could pass? Wow

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-14-2018, 07:12 PM
Another day of 0 FOs available for reserve in LAX tomorrow, our biggest base. It's a great time to come to compass folks.

FlightMonster
02-14-2018, 08:23 PM
Another day of 0 FOs available for reserve in LAX tomorrow, our biggest base. It's a great time to come to compass folks.

BLS, your the reason Iím coming to Compass! BTW how much does one get to be an interweb recruiter? 🤔😁

FlightMonster
02-14-2018, 08:29 PM
Just how intensive is the two week computer home studie? My wife finds my whole ďhaving a job thingĒ really buggers up her vacation plans and was hoping we could get away with her folks during part of that time.😐

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-14-2018, 08:48 PM
Just how intensive is the two week computer home studie? My wife finds my whole ďhaving a job thingĒ really buggers up her vacation plans and was hoping we could get away with her folks during part of that time.😐

Do it. I went to Hawaii to do my CBTs. Might as well, right?

Excargodog
02-14-2018, 08:48 PM

Depends on your background. If you already HAVE an E-175 type rating (or other similar background) it might be fairly easy for you. If you are someone with 1500 hours of mostly CFI time in Cessna 152/172 and small Cherokees, even the ATP course may be a challenge.

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Depends on your background. If you already HAVE an E-175 type rating (or other similar background) it might be fairly easy for you. If you are someone with 1500 hours of mostly CFI time in Cessna 152/172 and small Cherokees, even the ATP course may be a challenge.

Maybe, or just attitude. I know someone who hadn't flown a twin in 8 years, had 30hrs in preceding 2 years in a 172. Didn't know the difference between an ERJ and a CRJ before compass. Did just fine. Now he's a captain lol

Beechnutz
02-15-2018, 07:55 AM
It took me 7 days to get all the CBTís done. I didnít work 8 hrs a day everyday and have 3 little kids in the house as distractions.

But this was my 3rd time doing new hire CBTís. Once at the 135 company I worked for. Then second at OO.

emersonbiguns
02-15-2018, 08:00 AM
Then second at OO.

Do you mind sharing your reason for leaving OO?

Beechnutz
02-15-2018, 08:32 AM
Do you mind sharing your reason for leaving OO?

Small kids at home and commuting to reserve sucks.

Was going to take me over a year to get back to PHX as a base. Then over 5 years to upgrade in PHX.

They talk about Quick upgrade time at OO but itís only in DTW ORD. If you want to upgrade in the West part of the country your looking at 4-5+ years.

Itís also such a senior company. I mean thereís so many lifers there that you will never be senior.

emersonbiguns
02-15-2018, 09:01 AM
Small kids at home and commuting to reserve sucks.

Was going to take me over a year to get back to PHX as a base. Then over 5 years to upgrade in PHX.

They talk about Quick upgrade time at OO but it’s only in DTW ORD. If you want to upgrade in the West part of the country your looking at 4-5+ years.

It’s also such a senior company. I mean there’s so many lifers there that you will never be senior.

Thanks for the info.

I'm reaching a similar conclusion as you. I would like to stay out west and see OO as an option, but I'm not sure it's really that good of one.

At Compass, I'm just a bit concerned about the rumors of the upcoming loss of aircraft back to AA at the end of the contract.

Beechnutz
02-15-2018, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the info.

I'm reaching a similar conclusion as you. I would like to stay out west and see OO as an option, but I'm not sure it's really that good of one.

At Compass, I'm just a bit concerned about the rumors of the upcoming loss of aircraft back to AA at the end of the contract.

That was the hardest part. The fact that OO has such a good record and so many long term people makes it look so appealing.

But thatís what I found made it so tough.

With the numbers that are getting on at the majors it makes it worth the risk to me.

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-15-2018, 09:34 AM
Glad you guys are coming, we need you! Times are great here again

Poser765
02-15-2018, 11:00 AM
At Compass, I'm just a bit concerned about the rumors of the upcoming loss of aircraft back to AA at the end of the contract.the contracts should be good for at LEAST another years and some change. At this point nothing is as certain as Envoy pilots would have you believe. They've been saying they are reopening lax for years. Literally since the day they closed it.

jks621
02-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Just got a call for an interview last week. Looking forward to interviewing at CPZ in the next few weeks! Won't hit ATP mins until June, anyone have any idea what the staffing of bases will be like in the summer? I realize that's not exactly an easy question, and that things change. Hoping for LAX, but any of them would work. Thanks to everyone for all the great info on here.

Poser765
02-18-2018, 03:49 PM
Just got a call for an interview last week. Looking forward to interviewing at CPZ in the next few weeks! Won't hit ATP mins until June, anyone have any idea what the staffing of bases will be like in the summer? I realize that's not exactly an easy question, and that things change. Hoping for LAX, but any of them would work. Thanks to everyone for all the great info on here.Honestly, my dude, there is no telling. Right now, all bases are viable out of training. By summertime? I doubt that will change.

jks621
02-18-2018, 04:48 PM
Honestly, my dude, there is no telling. Right now, all bases are viable out of training. By summertime? I doubt that will change.

Good point. As the old saying goes, "time will tell". I'll continue to shake my magic 8 ball in the meantime.

FlyingOliver
02-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Hello.. Got called yesterday by a recruiter and I asked a lot of questions but I missed a couple. Perhaps this is a better place to get answers anyway.

1. What are the travel benefits like? I've got a very specific answer for other airlines except for compass. Who gets to travel? what agreements in place with other carriers? Buddy Passes?

2. Endeavor 1st year F/O rates are at $51. Envoy soon to follow suite (so they say).. What about Compass?? Any word on increasing pay? or Bonus? the 17.5k signing bonus doesn't compete with Horizon or Envoy..

Anyway trying to decide between Horizon and Compass.. Thx

JetDoc
02-20-2018, 10:32 AM
Hello.. Got called yesterday by a recruiter and I asked a lot of questions but I missed a couple. Perhaps this is a better place to get answers anyway.

1. What are the travel benefits like? I've got a very specific answer for other airlines except for compass. Who gets to travel? what agreements in place with other carriers? Buddy Passes?

2. Endeavor 1st year F/O rates are at $51. Envoy soon to follow suite (so they say).. What about Compass?? Any word on increasing pay? or Bonus? the 17.5k signing bonus doesn't compete with Horizon or Envoy..

Anyway trying to decide between Horizon and Compass.. Thx

Go to Endeavor and get paid. It's not going to happen here.

FlyingOliver
02-20-2018, 01:30 PM
Go to Endeavor and get paid. It's not going to happen here.

Well The bonus is only $10k so perhaps it washes out... Horizon is offering a $25k signing bonus

mcm114
02-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Well The bonus is only $10k so perhaps it washes out... Horizon is offering a $25k signing bonus

Just interviewed with Horizon 2 weeks ago. Their bonus is tricky, i.e. you have to qualify for the full amount. I can't remember the exact breakdown, but you needed some combination of 121/135 or mil flying in a multi-engine, multi-crew.

As a military rotor guy, I would only get 10 for the jet, or 15 for the Q400.

Whereas, correct me if I'm wrong, the 17.5k from Compass is for all new-hires (?)

Anyone have a data point on how long it takes to get a call back from HR after posting an app?

Thanks

Poser765
02-21-2018, 12:12 PM
Just interviewed with Horizon 2 weeks ago. Their bonus is tricky, i.e. you have to qualify for the full amount. I can't remember the exact breakdown, but you needed some combination of 121/135 or mil flying in a multi-engine, multi-crew.

As a military rotor guy, I would only get 10 for the jet, or 15 for the Q400.

Whereas, correct me if I'm wrong, the 17.5k from Compass is for all new-hires (?)

Anyone have a data point on how long it takes to get a call back from HR after posting an app?

ThanksBuddy of mine put his app in, and I think he had about an 18 hour turn around time.

GrumpyBear
02-21-2018, 02:20 PM
The $17,500 is for all new hires at Compass. On call backs it seems to vary. I got mine about two days after I submitted my app. Good Luck!

alonco82
02-21-2018, 03:35 PM
Is it possible to call directly to Recruiters office for interview scheduling? Anyone has their phone number?

alonco82
02-21-2018, 06:28 PM
Is it possible to call directly to Recruiters office for interview scheduling? Anyone has their phone number?
*I've tried to confirm my app through their email. No response

emersonbiguns
02-21-2018, 07:01 PM

Thanks

Five hours.

Record in our office for people that are leaving is 54 minutes. That was submission to call back at PSA.

Bogeywan
02-22-2018, 10:21 AM
Are there any mil rotor guys who have recently been hired? If so can you PM me please. Iím looking to apply at Compass soon and have a few questions. Thanks!

GrumpyBear
02-22-2018, 11:09 AM
Bogeywan...PM sent.

~Grumpy

Taco280AI
02-22-2018, 02:53 PM
Give me a shout if you need as well

route45757
02-23-2018, 05:09 AM
Very recent interviewee - 16 days for me.

mcm114
02-23-2018, 11:35 AM
*I've tried to confirm my app through their email. No response

Same here. One week so far, just sent another follow up email. I'm using this as it's the only way to contact them that I can find:

[email protected]

Excargodog
02-23-2018, 02:04 PM
So can anyone give a reliable update on how the new hiring is going vs the attrition?

Is Compass gaining pilots, losing pilots, or just sort of treading water?

Actual NUMBERS of Captains and FOs woukd be nice too, if you have those stats...

AirBat
02-24-2018, 01:04 PM
From treading water to slight gain I'd say. Feb attrition slowed down and classes are doing ok so we might get a bit of a breather now. I'd give you numbers but it's kind of a lot of work for me for no reason sooo.

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-24-2018, 03:07 PM
From treading water to slight gain I'd say. Feb attrition slowed down and classes are doing ok so we might get a bit of a breather now. I'd give you numbers but it's kind of a lot of work for me for no reason sooo.

This is what I was gonna say too, but I was too lazy to post it :/

Excargodog
02-24-2018, 05:23 PM

Well, it would give potential newbies an idea as to whether they were going to potentially have a vacation or not. Like all you guys were wondering about back in the fall, remember? When you were all griping about what idiots management was with the hiring freeze? The threads are still available for those who choose to go back that far.

It gives potential newbies an idea if management has actually learned anything from the hiring freeze debacle. Between that and Horizon's pilot shortage debacle last fall, I think it's fair to say that neither the Compass nor Horizon management teams have exactly covered themselves with glory in the last year.

It looks like Compass is digging out from the hole management put them in. Don't think the same can be said yet about Horizon.

Poser765
02-24-2018, 05:27 PM
Well, it would give potential newbies an idea as to whether they were going to potentially have a vacation or not. Like all you guys were wondering about back in the fall, remember? When you were all griping about what idiots management was with the hiring freeze? The threads are still available for those who choose to go back that far.

It gives potential newbies an idea if management has actually learned anything from the hiring freeze debacle. Between that and Horizon's pilot shortage debacle last fall, I think it's fair to say that neither the Compass nor Horizon management teams have exactly covered themselves with glory in the last year.

It looks like Compass is digging out from the hole management put them in. Don't think the same can be said yet about Horizon.you want a regional with a management team that doesn't do some mind blowingly stupid stuff? You'll be looking forever.

Excargodog
02-24-2018, 05:36 PM
you want a regional with a management team that doesn't do some mind blowingly stupid stuff? You'll be looking forever.

Posting du jour.....

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-24-2018, 07:03 PM
Well, it would give potential newbies an idea as to whether they were going to potentially have a vacation or not.

New hires don't get vacation till second year... by then you'll know what the situation will be. Probably still a circus.

Like all you guys were wondering about back in the fall, remember? When you were all griping about what idiots management was with the hiring freeze?

That's all still true, we have just moved on to other gripes.

It gives potential newbies an idea if management has actually learned anything from the hiring freeze debacle.

Mgmt just reacts, That won't change

Between that and Horizon's pilot shortage debacle last fall, I think it's fair to say that neither the Compass nor Horizon management teams have exactly covered themselves with glory in the last year.

They have covered themselves with shame

It looks like Compass is digging out from the hole management put them in. Don't think the same can be said yet about Horizon.

We are digging out of quicksand.

jks621
02-25-2018, 06:42 AM
I'm scheduled to interview early on this week. Still haven't received email confirmation with flights and hotel, is that normal? They told me I'd be leaving Monday of this week.

boilers2
02-25-2018, 07:46 PM
I'm scheduled to interview early on this week. Still haven't received email confirmation with flights and hotel, is that normal? They told me I'd be leaving Monday of this week.

I interview on Tuesday and got my info last week.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1