Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : 737MAX Destinations

Dolphinflyer
10-27-2017, 10:49 AM
All,

I saw the inaugural SWA MAX flights doing the Texas triangle of DAL, HOU and SAT. Have the destinations expanded? Any first impressions after flying it?

Thanks

AA is planning to start flying the new jet from MIA-LGA on the first flight of the day starting at the end of November.

A few of us are scratching our heads over that plan.

Psycho18th
10-27-2017, 11:22 AM
I've flown it a couple times now. PIT-OAK-PHX. BOS-MDW. Can't remember where else. Not sure what the plan is for them long term. I didn't know we were going to have one on the trip until I did the walkaround. Flies like the other jets as far as I can tell as a brand new guy. Did seem a bit quieter, and there was some music playing during boarding. Takes FOREVER for the engines to start.

Psycho

awax
10-27-2017, 11:22 AM
Sounds like both companies are flying the new airplane between airports with maintenance opportunities? Where should they be flying it?

e6bpilot
10-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Right now it is plugged in our schedule like any 800. I think the idea is to expand on its capabilities later when we have enough to make that happen reliably. Itís hard to fly a route designed around a specific airplane when you only have 7 of them.

Dolphinflyer
10-27-2017, 12:13 PM
Sounds like both companies are flying the new airplane between airports with maintenance opportunities? Where should they be flying it?

AA has plenty of places to fly it with maintenance opportunities other than LGA which reduces the margins for someone first seeing the jet at 0600.

Dolphinflyer
11-01-2017, 11:00 AM
I've flown it a couple times now. PIT-OAK-PHX. BOS-MDW. Can't remember where else. Not sure what the plan is for them long term. I didn't know we were going to have one on the trip until I did the walkaround. Flies like the other jets as far as I can tell as a brand new guy. Did seem a bit quieter, and there was some music playing during boarding. Takes FOREVER for the engines to start.

Psycho

Thanks for the info Psycho.

Any other comments are appreciated.

DF

gipple
11-02-2017, 01:38 PM
Did it pay more? If not, who cares?

SlipKid
11-02-2017, 01:46 PM

Exactly.....

I flew one the other day. The engines took forever to start, the gear handle is easier to reach, it seems a little quieter, the nav radios are a PITA to tune and the speed brake feels funny.

It did have that new, shiny jet smell and some cool schwinglets! I'd fly it for free!

David Puddy
11-02-2017, 05:45 PM
Exactly.....

I flew one the other day. The engines took forever to start, the gear handle is easier to reach, it seems a little quieter, the nav radios are a PITA to tune and the speed brake feels funny.

It did have that new, shiny jet smell and some cool schwinglets! I'd fly it for free!

How'd you like the overhead panel???? :D:cool:

ZapBrannigan
11-02-2017, 06:09 PM

And the EICAS... oh wait, nevermind. Recall light. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dolphinflyer
11-02-2017, 07:03 PM

Just wondering about the differences amigo.

I've seen enough examples of non-existent or bare minimum training over the years, examples that ended up with mistakes paid for with blood and wondered if this was another set up to save a few $$$.

Yes, I care. ;)

Dolphinflyer
11-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the info Slip.

SlipKid
11-03-2017, 07:21 AM

Every time I'd feel myself sliding into the red (from my usual orange), I'd look up and all would be right in the world..... :eek:

Oh, and the nav display is GIANT without the engine displays on it. Like a big screen TV in a closet......

gipple
11-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Just wondering about the differences amigo.

I've seen enough examples of non-existent or bare minimum training over the years, examples that ended up with mistakes paid for with blood and wondered if this was another set up to save a few $$$.

Yes, I care. ;)

I am sure you know the answer to the cost question.
The pilot in my avatar was also trained via a DL program.

Twinjetav8r
11-04-2017, 06:40 AM
I flew the Max last week on IOE. Me and the Check Airman walked to the gate in Denver on a plane swap. We both looked at each other and said ďis that a Max?Ē It wasnít on our schedule. DEN-TPA. Boy, those engines take forever to start, especially in Denver. Probably 90 seconds before you can introduce fuel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

at6d
11-04-2017, 11:35 AM
We did LAX-MCI. Totally full. The agent in MCI said they have MAX overnights very often.

Nice ride.

Salukipilot4590
11-04-2017, 12:29 PM
I flew the Max last week on IOE. Me and the Check Airman walked to the gate in Denver on a plane swap. We both looked at each other and said ďis that a Max?Ē It wasnít on our schedule. DEN-TPA. Boy, those engines take forever to start, especially in Denver. Probably 90 seconds before you can introduce fuel.

Good ole rotor bow motoring! Welcome to my life the last year!

ZapBrannigan
11-04-2017, 12:59 PM
Good ole rotor bow motoring! Welcome to my life the last year!

This isnít new. Ask any civilian pilot who came up flying Jetstreams or Metros (any Garrett powered geared turboprop).

After every shutdown we would spin the prop through twenty blades or so to cool the shaft. Manual shaft cooling. [emoji6]

apu4eva
11-04-2017, 03:46 PM
Ha! Saw a guy doing that to a MU2 today in Tennessee. I've never gotten to fly anything Garrett powered but I think it'd be fun to try. Man those things are loud!

SlipKid
11-04-2017, 06:36 PM
This isnít new. Ask any civilian pilot who came up flying Jetstreams or Metros (any Garrett powered geared turboprop).

After every shutdown we would spin the prop through twenty blades or so to cool the shaft. Manual shaft cooling. [emoji6]

Yup.... I always told the pax that we were winding up the rubber band. :eek:

Laramie
11-05-2017, 05:12 AM

Psycho

Wasn't that one of the big reasons for ****-canning the 717s? "It would slow down the operation." "Can't do the fast turns." "Takes too long to start." "Expensive to have more than one type."

I'd be curious to see the parts commonality between the 700 and the MAX.

e6bpilot
11-05-2017, 05:53 AM
Wasn't that one of the big reasons for ****-canning the 717s? "It would slow down the operation." "Can't do the fast turns." "Takes too long to start." "Expensive to have more than one type."

I'd be curious to see the parts commonality between the 700 and the MAX.

Probably about the same as the classics - around 30 percent. The max is all about fuel savings. Fuel savings look good on a spreadsheet and a quarterly report and can give you instant empirical data.
Our turn times have slowed so much in the last few years, it really isnít a metric that matters much anymore. As a pilot, I get my part of the turn done in about 5 minutes, shoot the breeze with the A FA, check my phone, use the bathroom, and get food. About 10 prior to push I usually start the apu if I ever turned it off and get ready to go. I am constantly amazed at the huge delays we take, especially at big stations. You can always tell when you are boarding the B group at 5 prior to push and the ops agent looks like someone is holding a gun to their head that things arenít going well. Then when you are finally ready and the ramp canít figure out how to get the wireless headset to work for 5 minutes only to tell you that we are waiting on 5 bags, you know it must be go home day. Then when you finally call for push and you are number 3 for the alley, you can text your wife and make a reservation at the commuter hotel.
45 seconds of starting an engine isnít going to make a hill of beans in this operation. Besides, by that point you are off the gate and nobody at the company cares what happens at that point. They are all about pushing on time no matter what the results at the end of the flight.

Peacock
11-05-2017, 08:24 AM
Parts commonality is just part of it. One type for all the pilots has to simplify scheduling, and save training costs.

C130driver
11-05-2017, 08:37 AM
Probably about the same as the classics - around 30 percent. The max is all about fuel savings. Fuel savings look good on a spreadsheet and a quarterly report and can give you instant empirical data.
Our turn times have slowed so much in the last few years, it really isnít a metric that matters much anymore. As a pilot, I get my part of the turn done in about 5 minutes, shoot the breeze with the A FA, check my phone, use the bathroom, and get food. About 10 prior to push I usually start the apu if I ever turned it off and get ready to go. I am constantly amazed at the huge delays we take, especially at big stations. You can always tell when you are boarding the B group at 5 prior to push and the ops agent looks like someone is holding a gun to their head that things arenít going well. Then when you are finally ready and the ramp canít figure out how to get the wireless headset to work for 5 minutes only to tell you that we are waiting on 5 bags, you know it must be go home day. Then when you finally call for push and you are number 3 for the alley, you can text your wife and make a reservation at the commuter hotel.
45 seconds of starting an engine isnít going to make a hill of beans in this operation. Besides, by that point you are off the gate and nobody at the company cares what happens at that point. They are all about pushing on time no matter what the results at the end of the flight.

Still sounds a lot better than Air Force ATOC/baseops!!

David Puddy
11-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Parts commonality is just part of it. One type for all the pilots has to simplify scheduling, and save training costs.

Common overhead panel is the biggest priority! ;)

THE SHAFT
11-08-2017, 11:57 PM
1 or 2 cockpit jumps??? Gotta catch a ride Friday and its on a full max. Thanks!

flyguy81
11-09-2017, 06:07 AM
1 or 2 cockpit jumps??? Gotta catch a ride Friday and its on a full max. Thanks!

Max has 2 jumpseats

THE SHAFT
11-09-2017, 11:41 AM
Thank you.........

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1