Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : St Louis Base

GearDownFlaps15
10-30-2017, 11:05 AM
Just curious as to what everyone thinks about American closing STL as a base come September 2018 and what it'll mean for SWA as far as growth and whether it'll become a domicile soon.....not a satellite base.

flyguy81
10-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Just curious as to what everyone thinks about American closing STL as a base come September 2018 and what it'll mean for SWA as far as growth and whether it'll become a domicile soon.....not a satellite base.

Adding more gates down the D terminal. Adding int'l flights out of STL. STL takes pressure off MDW since MDW is at capacity. And it's easier getting 800's in and out of STL than being weight or performance restricted in MDW.

I heard we have more departures per day out of STL than we had in LAS/DEN when those were made bases, so it's definitely plausible. We've only opened 10 bases in the 40+ yrs in business and never closed one so the big wigs are probably pretty cautious on pulling the trigger on new bases. I'd heard FLL is probably off the table for now after this summer's hurricanes.....they don't want 2 bases shut down for one IROPS event.

ZapBrannigan
10-30-2017, 01:02 PM
STLís biggest problem is infrastructure. The terminal isnít as bad as, say MCI for example. But itís severely lacking reasonable dining. It has completely inadequate number of restrooms given the number of passengers that pass through. Maybe if AA closes we can move into their gates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CA1900
10-30-2017, 01:09 PM
STL... has completely inadequate number of restrooms given the number of passengers that pass through.

Have you seen our new sim building? We'll fit right in! :D

mainlineAF
10-30-2017, 01:25 PM

AA is only closing STL as a pilot domicile. The number of daily departures will not be affected.

flyguy81
10-30-2017, 01:55 PM
STLís biggest problem is infrastructure. The terminal isnít as bad as, say MCI for example. But itís severely lacking reasonable dining. It has completely inadequate number of restrooms given the number of passengers that pass through. Maybe if AA closes we can move into their gates.

Food and bathroom options in the C terminal arenít anything to write home about either. Pretty much the same setup across the whole airport.

ZapBrannigan
10-30-2017, 02:17 PM
Thatís a shame. [emoji17]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stitches
10-30-2017, 02:42 PM
Lax is gonna be the next base.

GearDownFlaps15
10-30-2017, 03:54 PM
AA is only closing STL as a pilot domicile. The number of daily departures will not be affected.

Oh ok, thanks for the info. I wasn't 100% on the details.

hoover
10-30-2017, 05:44 PM
Didn't SW offer to rebuild the St. Louis airport? I thought they pledged a billion to rebuild it but the people voted it down and now it's up for vote again. May have been MCI tho

TransWorld
10-30-2017, 06:24 PM
Didn't SW offer to rebuild the St. Louis airport? I thought they pledged a billion to rebuild it but the people voted it down and now it's up for vote again. May have been MCI tho

No for STL. Yes for MCI. The voters of Kansas City, Missouri will vote Tuesday November 7, 2017 whether to build a new terminal at MCI or not. No cost to the taxpayer, the airlines have agreed to pay for all of it. Southwest is the largest airline there, but all the airlines will be paying their share.

I hope it passes.

There is some concern by the voters as to how the contract to build it was awarded. Also, a lot of people like the 75 steps from curb to plane. But there are a lot of advantages to a new terminal. Steps will be more than 75, but will be outweighed by the advantages. Of course, some will never understand no taxes. They still think it will cost them something even if they never fly.

CA1900
10-30-2017, 07:20 PM
Also, a lot of people like the 75 steps from curb to plane.

I like the idea of it, but the little bit of practicality it had died with the addition of security screening. Making a connection at MCI used to be absolute nightmare before they added the connector hallways on the outside of the ring, as you'd often have to re-clear security to make your connection. The 2004 renovations definitely helped, but it's still a cramped, impractical gate area, with few amenities or vendors behind security. It's time to start fresh.

Ihateusernames
10-31-2017, 04:35 AM

What does food have to do with anything? Remember MCO up until a year or so ago or MDW now. I also have never had to wait to go to the bathroom.

TransWorld
10-31-2017, 04:50 AM
I like the idea of it, but the little bit of practicality it had died with the addition of security screening. Making a connection at MCI used to be absolute nightmare before they added the connector hallways on the outside of the ring, as you'd often have to re-clear security to make your connection. The 2004 renovations definitely helped, but it's still a cramped, impractical gate area, with few amenities or vendors behind security. It's time to start fresh.

I agree! When it was built, it was before the days of any screening. It was built with no connecting flights in mind, even though half the people were connecting on Braniff.

And, then a few months after it opened there had been so many hijackings to Havana that the FAA introduced the first screening. And they have lived with impracticality for 40 years.

Unlike DFW, the rings are not wide enough to have hallways and vendors inside screening. So, they cannot retrofit it into being practical.

jshank83
10-31-2017, 06:08 AM

They are in the process of adding more amenities. They are adding a Wing Tips lounge across from E29-33, another Starbucks by E29, and a local concept restaurant by E33. They just doubled the size of the Vino Volo. I think they have a few other things planned. I think Southwest just added gates a little quicker than they anticipated so they are still catching up with the amenities to go with it. There is a fairly large area between E33 and E34 where dining could be added. I would hope they would do something with that in the near future.

j3gibbon
10-31-2017, 08:49 AM
AAís number of departures may not drop but seats are. I commuted 10 years ago and it was a different animal. Even over the last few years American has downgraded aircraft to RJs and United has been up and down but currently has a mix of 70 and 50 seat with a mainline for the west coast. Delta is mainline and 76+ seat RJs so they still compete.

SWA is in a great position to continue to build and continue to take from the other legacies. Iíd love to see a SWA domicile anywhere in the Midwest to help the seniority list movement.

Salukidawg
10-31-2017, 09:16 AM
I predict that STL will be the next domicile. WN will continue to expand down Concourse D now (E) and STL will become for WN what AA claimed they wanted it to be for them when they acquired TW. A geographically optimal reliever hub for Chicago. This Airport is perfectly set up to be an East/West flow connecting hub. I'm actually surprised that UA or DL didn't jump on this former hub when AA made the decision to de hub it in 2003. Luckily for WN, they now are the size to do pretty much whatever they want to do there without being challenged by the big 3.

e6bpilot
10-31-2017, 11:39 AM
I predict that STL will be the next domicile. WN will continue to expand down Concourse D now (E) and STL will become for WN what AA claimed they wanted it to be for them when they acquired TW. A geographically optimal reliever hub for Chicago. This Airport is perfectly set up to be an East/West flow connecting hub. I'm actually surprised that UA or DL didn't jump on this former hub when AA made the decision to de hub it in 2003. Luckily for WN, they now are the size to do pretty much whatever they want to do there without being challenged by the big 3.

It makes perfect sense, so SWA will never do it. Besides, you used the word hub. Now they really wonít do it.

happygilmore
10-31-2017, 01:25 PM
If STL beomes a base, would a new hire be able to get it?

e6bpilot
10-31-2017, 01:28 PM
If STL beomes a base, would a new hire be able to get it?

There would be a system wide vacancy bid. New bases typically go junior unless there is something peculiar about them that would make them senior ie Atlanta.

GearDownFlaps15
10-31-2017, 02:35 PM
It makes perfect sense, so SWA will never do it. Besides, you used the word hub. Now they really wonít do it.

+1

I literally spit out my disaronno/cranberry when I read this. Funny because it's so true.

GearDownFlaps15
10-31-2017, 02:37 PM
There would be a system wide vacancy bid. New bases typically go junior unless there is something peculiar about them that would make them senior ie Atlanta.

With all of the commuters from there, I would imagine you'd have your senior guys, nothing in the middle and then junior folks.

Salukidawg
11-01-2017, 08:42 AM

That's OK. I've been trying using the term hub for our "bases" for 12 years now. I'm not going to stop now.;)

ZapBrannigan
11-01-2017, 02:12 PM
That's OK. I've been trying using the term hub for our "bases" for 12 years now. I'm not going to stop now.;)

ďIntentional connect opportunitiesĒ [emoji6]

cruiseclimb
05-15-2018, 11:16 PM
When I was riding to PHX from DAL the other day, one of the cabin crew told me she had some senior execs on one of her flights, that said STL as a crew base was going on the back-back burner for a while. The focus for the next year or two will be on LAX and a HI satellite base.

USAFAviator
05-16-2018, 07:23 AM
Funny...someone just told me yesterday that they overheard that SWA just canceled all the hotel contracts in STL for 2019. Time will tell.