Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : New Hire Uniforms

jshoneycutt
10-30-2017, 06:02 PM
How does Envoy handle uniforms for new hires?
What dies the company provide?
What doe the pilot pay out of pocket (e.g. alterations)?
What is payroll deducted?
Uniform allowance?

Thank you,

Jamesthunder
10-31-2017, 01:00 AM
How does Envoy handle uniforms for new hires?
What dies the company provide?
What doe the pilot pay out of pocket (e.g. alterations)?
What is payroll deducted?
Uniform allowance?

Thank you,

New hires are fitted during the first week through (when I went through in June by twin hill a men's Warehouse company.

I received 7 shirts (2 long), 2 pants, tie, belt, hat, coat. 50% of the cost.

Not sure. I think you can exchange items for free up to a certain point. That's what I did.

50% of the cost. It was deducted $50 per check.

Don't think so.

Bigpimppilot
10-31-2017, 06:28 AM
Donít buy the shirts. They arenít even worth 50% off. Just get them from ďa cut aboveĒ or crew outfitters at the airport. World of difference

bigtime209
10-31-2017, 08:44 AM
Donít buy the shirts. They arenít even worth 50% off. Just get them from ďa cut aboveĒ or crew outfitters at the airport. World of difference

This. The standard shirts are awful.

Aviatrx
10-31-2017, 08:50 AM
I donít think they are that bad. Why spend your own money? Make them pay for part of your uniform! If the uniform doesnít fit your body type, you may need to shop elsewhere. I would give them a shot before you go and drop hundreds on a bunch of shirts when you can get them for like $6 a piece. You will want to replace the shirts nearly every year as they begin to yellow. I recommend saving your money

jshoneycutt
10-31-2017, 12:48 PM
I donít think they are that bad. Why spend your own money? Make them pay for part of your uniform! If the uniform doesnít fit your body type, you may need to shop elsewhere. I would give them a shot before you go and drop hundreds on a bunch of shirts when you can get them for like $6 a piece. You will want to replace the shirts nearly every year as they begin to yellow. I recommend saving your money

I hear you. Makes sense to give them a shot. Still, if the household budget allows, I would rather spend the money to look sharp and feel comfortable. I was "fitted" at my current airline for a uniform and then spent the money on a tailor. It is weird to me airlines do not make the uniform more of a priority.

bigtime209
10-31-2017, 01:27 PM

If you don't care that the fabric is so thin that it's see through, doesn't iron down well to keep wrinkles out, and rips very easily, then sure...save your money. They actually fit really well in my opinion, but the quality is garbage and look sloppy. Perhaps the MH shirts will be better. My new uniform still hasn't shipped so I'm still awaiting a verdict on the shirt quality.

Av8tor6743
10-31-2017, 01:47 PM

Absolutely...and just as a filler.......the new hires have to fill all the prescribed items on the list or the it wonít let you hit the submit button (for initial order) for processing

Bigpimppilot
10-31-2017, 03:41 PM
So they forced you to spend money on something you donít want at the ďcompany storeĒ? https://youtu.be/tfp2O9ADwGk

Dfwnightflyer
10-31-2017, 03:52 PM
I guess Iím in the minority, the standard shirts fit me fine. No complaints. But I can see how the quality can bug guys. I will probably upgrade next round.

bigtime209
10-31-2017, 04:02 PM
I guess Iím in the minority, the standard shirts fit me fine. No complaints. But I can see how the quality can bug guys. I will probably upgrade next round.

The shirts fit great. The quality of the material is abysmal though.

Bigpimppilot
10-31-2017, 04:58 PM
I hope you guys wear undershirts and iron every day

Jersdawg
10-31-2017, 05:51 PM
I hope you guys wear undershirts and iron every day

Yeah for sure. Like someone said above, they're nearly seethru. Not ironing is not an option - you'll look like a hobo if you don't iron. The fit is just fine though and the material takes two days to get used to. Best is the price - cost me nothing.

Jersdawg
10-31-2017, 05:53 PM
If you don't care that the fabric is so thin that it's see through, doesn't iron down well to keep wrinkles out, and rips very easily, then sure...save your money. They actually fit really well in my opinion, but the quality is garbage and look sloppy. Perhaps the MH shirts will be better. My new uniform still hasn't shipped so I'm still awaiting a verdict on the shirt quality.

I haven't torn one yet and they iron just fine on my end. Just make sure you have a steam iron and/or a squirt bottle.

Rakk6
10-31-2017, 05:59 PM
The shirts fit great. The quality of the material is abysmal though.
Anyone wearing "The Cut Above" shirts and any issues from CPO? The TCA shirts are much better quality and I have a few from my previous job. I agree the AA shirts fit well but many quality issues already stated by many so far on this thread.

highfarfast
10-31-2017, 06:04 PM
Absolutely...and just as a filler.......the new hires have to fill all the prescribed items on the list or the it wonít let you hit the submit button (for initial order) for processing

This.

If you want a tie, a hat, a blazer, belt, euplets, etc, you're going to buy 6 shirts on the initial order whether you want them or not. I didn't want the hat or the gestapo coat. Could not submit order without them though.

For the most part, I don't mind the shirts. I do iron though and I do wear undershirts, but I'm pretty sure I would anyway. My only complaint is the reinforced eyelets don't match the metal pins making the reinforced part pointless. Have yet to tear any shirts because of it though.

FlyyGuyy
10-31-2017, 06:14 PM
This.

If you want a tie, a hat, a blazer, belt, euplets, etc, you're going to buy 6 shirts on the initial order whether you want them or not. I didn't want the hat or the gestapo coat. Could not submit order without them though.

For the most part, I don't mind the shirts. I do iron though and I do wear undershirts, but I'm pretty sure I would anyway. My only complaint is the reinforced eyelets don't match the metal pins making the reinforced part pointless. Have yet to tear any shirts because of it though.
i love the gestapo jacket. thing is great in vermont in january.

uavking
10-31-2017, 06:46 PM
Anyone wearing "The Cut Above" shirts and any issues from CPO? The TCA shirts are much better quality and I have a few from my previous job. I agree the AA shirts fit well but many quality issues already stated by many so far on this thread.

No issues, and furthermore, the pants from A Cut Above are much higher quality and match the issue blazer fine.

jshoneycutt
11-01-2017, 06:56 AM
Yeah for sure. Like someone said above, they're nearly seethru. Not ironing is not an option - you'll look like a hobo if you don't iron. The fit is just fine though and the material takes two days to get used to. Best is the price - cost me nothing.

Cost you nothing? Someone said they take out $50 each month (or each paycheck?) Or do they give you $50 credit each month toward your indebtedness?

Jersdawg
11-01-2017, 07:07 AM
Cost you nothing? Someone said they take out $50 each month (or each paycheck?) Or do they give you $50 credit each month toward your indebtedness?

Oh yeah that was referring to when we got them during the uniform change. That doesn't apply to new hires, sorry about that. I don't have an answer to your question unfortunately.

HardLemonade
11-01-2017, 07:09 AM
I wear the company issued shirts with NO undershirt...then pray for rain. It's like a wet t-shirt contest and I'm the winner. I get an extra skip to my step walking through the terminal with my areolas on full display. I give people the "finger gun and wink" gesture as they stare with mouths agape.

In all seriousness....take those company issued shirts and start a bonfire. It's all they are good for. I buy all my uniform pieces from a third party website. I would tell you bums which one...but I don't want you cramping my style. ;)

griff312
11-01-2017, 07:11 AM
For the guy that asked if there was any trouble from the cpo about wearing ACA shirts, No. No trouble at all. I've even seen some manager types wearing them on the line when they do thier occassional line flying. The A Cut Abive shirts are far supperior, IMO. They have lasted me a little over a year each, and I use 2 shirts for a 4 day trip, 3 if I work more than 4 days during a trip.

When your initial uniform ships, try them on and take them to Men's Warehouse to have any adjustments done. Tailoring and pressing / cleaning are free at Men's Warehouse. Just print off the uniform adjuatment form from the company website and take it with you. Personally, I've had to have all my uniform pieces tailored. I'm surprised at how bad they botched the initial fitting process. You'll probably also want to grab a needle and some thread and reinforce your buttons. My coat buttons seemed to be ready to fall off straight out of the box. If you want any of the non required items, such as the hat, order it with your initial order, otherwise you'll pay full price later.

Skid Mark
11-01-2017, 09:18 PM
This.

My initial order was one pair of pants, two short sleeves, two long sleeves, a blazer, and epaulets. I didn't get all the rest of it.

I didn't have trouble checking out... and have since gone back and used the rest of my company stipend to buy an all-weather coat... thinking about ordering the sweater.

Everyone says you need to fill out the required minimum order, but I didn't.

highfarfast
11-02-2017, 06:33 AM
i love the gestapo jacket. thing is great in vermont in january.

I don't spend much time there.

My initial order was one pair of pants, two short sleeves, two long sleeves, a blazer, and epaulets. I didn't get all the rest of it.

I didn't have trouble checking out... and have since gone back and used the rest of my company stipend to buy an all-weather coat... thinking about ordering the sweater.

Everyone says you need to fill out the required minimum order, but I didn't.

Lucky you. I could not hit the submit button. Would much rather have the all weather coat but don't want to spend the money on another coat.

havick206
11-02-2017, 07:54 AM

Lucky you. I could not hit the submit button. Would much rather have the all weather coat but don't want to spend the money on another coat.

Once you get the trench coat send it right back to exchange it for the all weather coat at no charge. Thatís what I did about 12 months ago.

E175 Driver
11-02-2017, 09:03 AM

1 word. The NorthFace.

MD-11Loader
11-02-2017, 09:15 AM
1 word. The NorthFace.

With your backpack on your shoulder and headphones?

f16jetmech
11-02-2017, 10:11 AM
What does everyone use for luggage? Popping my regional cherry with class date soon and want to start researching bags. I will have a 15" laptop that I'd like to somewhat protect as well.

havick206
11-02-2017, 10:46 AM
What does everyone use for luggage? Popping my regional cherry with class date soon and want to start researching bags. I will have a 15" laptop that I'd like to somewhat protect as well.

Luggageworks for the rolling bag. Aerocoast coolers for a lunch cooler/efb carrier

f16jetmech
11-02-2017, 11:14 AM
Luggageworks for the rolling bag. Aerocoast coolers for a lunch cooler/efb carrier

Would you recommend the Stealth for the luggage works?

DanRoman
11-02-2017, 11:59 AM

Yes, or the Executive I think itís called. Just like the stealth but with plastic trim instead of metal. Itís lighter and the plastic gives a bit instead of bending.

highfarfast
11-02-2017, 12:05 PM
Once you get the trench coat send it right back to exchange it for the all weather coat at no charge. Thatís what I did about 12 months ago.

Oh man. Been 9 months now for me. I doubt they'd do it now even though it's not been worn.

havick206
11-02-2017, 02:51 PM

The one I got has the metal frame. If I had my time again Iíd go the lighter one.

f16jetmech
11-02-2017, 03:43 PM
The one I got has the metal frame. If I had my time again Iíd go the lighter one.

Are you not worried about durability with the plastic at all?

havick206
11-02-2017, 04:36 PM

My metal frame is already bent like a banana after 12 months on the line. And thatís before my wife drive over it with the SUV.

DanRoman
11-02-2017, 06:53 PM

I have the plastic one. The corners are still metal, the plastic is tough, and Iím very glad I got it instead of the metal.

TeeRainPULup
11-02-2017, 06:56 PM
Yes, or the Executive I think itís called. Just like the stealth but with plastic trim instead of metal. Itís lighter and the plastic gives a bit instead of bending.

I use strongbag. Had it for a year and no issues.

dvtpilot
11-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Whatever happened to the days of using a Costco bag and doing the yearly return to get a new one, in part to their generous return policies?

DanRoman
11-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Whatever happened to the days of using a Costco bag and doing the yearly return to get a new one, in part to their generous return policies?

Integrity?

Shadre Reevis
11-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Integrity?Got em!

Rakk6
11-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Anyone order a leather jacket from Perrone Leather Apparel recently? I ordered a jacket over 2 months ago and have yet to get a status on the order. Calls (numerous) to their customer service go unanswered, no responses to voicemail messages or emails - terrible, or should I say, non-existent customer service. Hoping to not have to break out the Gestapo trench coat but looks like I might I have to.

jshoneycutt
11-03-2017, 04:58 PM

Hey, stop jacking my thread. Oh wait... This is APC...

I am dissatisfied with all the exterior pockets on my Luggage Works Aurora 22" Expandable. Even half empty I fight getting it into the overheads on the CRJ700s because one pocket or another snags. Next bag will be more streamlined. I have lost a zipper pull, screws on the handle keep popping out, the rubber grip on the handle is falling off and the clip for the J-hook came completely off.

I am further dissatisfied with Luggage Works because I tried to contact them about the 30 satisfaction guarantee so I could get a better fitting bag. I could never call when they were open so I left them a voice message and sent an online contact request. I never heard from them.

f16jetmech
11-03-2017, 05:40 PM
Hey, stop jacking my thread. Oh wait... This is APC...

I am dissatisfied with all the exterior pockets on my Luggage Works Aurora 22" Expandable. Even half empty I fight getting it into the overheads on the CRJ700s because one pocket or another snags. Next bag will be more streamlined. I have lost a zipper pull, screws on the handle keep popping out, the rubber grip on the handle is falling off and the clip for the J-hook came completely off.

I am further dissatisfied with Luggage Works because I tried to contact them about the 30 satisfaction guarantee so I could get a better fitting bag. I could never call when they were open so I left them a voice message and sent an online contact request. I never heard from them.

Just thought it didn't warrant a new thread and it was somewhat on topic :D

Interesting input... Definitely isn't consistent with everything else I've heard. Not say yours isn't a true experience... Just don't know if that has something to do with the aurora line?

jshoneycutt
11-03-2017, 06:18 PM
Just thought it didn't warrant a new thread and it was somewhat on topic :D

Interesting input... Definitely isn't consistent with everything else I've heard. Not say yours isn't a true experience... Just don't know if that has something to do with the aurora line?

Right? Not at all what I would have expected from what I have heard about Luggage Works. I should try calling next week that I have some time off to see what they can do about the bag falling apart instead of the 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

But, the point I most hoped to make was consider this. Exterior pockets all over the front and back of the piece look like a great idea for keeping organized. Truth be told, I use none of them. They only get in the way.

Reserve King
11-03-2017, 06:20 PM
Right? Not at all what I would have expected from what I have heard about Luggage Works. I should try calling next week that I have some time off to see what they can do about the bag falling apart instead of the 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

But, the point I most hoped to make was consider this. Exterior pockets all over the front and back of the piece look like a great idea for keeping organized. Truth be told, I use none of them. They only get in the way.

The long side pocket is great for umbrellas, etc. especially when wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highfarfast
11-03-2017, 09:19 PM
Use that bonus and get a Briggs and Riley. It's expensive but you will get a 20% discount with a pic of a crew badge for your first order and it comes with a lifetime warranty that includes airline damage. It's what I did. I commute in on the 145 (almost daily when I was on reserve) so it's valet checked a lot and I've had no issues with it... other than some scratches near the bottom from me dragging it up curbs, it still looks new.

I did quite a bit of reading various people's experiences with bags and decided to avoid luggage works and travel pro. Both had lot of fans but I got the impression that their quality and service had died off recently to the point they weren't worth the cost anymore. Wasn't sure but it seemed that way enough that I didn't want to chance it.

If I hadn't gotten the Briggs and Riley, I would have gone the Cosco Kirkland route... not with the intent of returning every year though. Seemed that bag had a reputation of lasting a couple years and cheap enough to be able to just replace when needed. The rest of the family will prob end up with a Kirkland bag from Cosco eventually and I'll use one of those as a backup when the time comes to send my Briggs in for repair.

As far as the Briggs goes, only complaint I have is that the compression tech on it is more or less useless. If you need it to compress more than what it takes to hold it shut with your hands to zip it closed, the compression locks pop back out anyway. :(