Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Recent base assignments

HawaiiHawk
11-02-2017, 06:36 AM
Greetings! Yesterday I received the invitation to an interview and was just wondering if anyone has details on the base assignment trends for recent new hire classes. Thanks!

Peacock
11-02-2017, 07:19 AM
BWI OAK HOU MDW most recently but it varies slightly

Twinjetav8r
11-04-2017, 06:42 AM
I was hired 8/29 and got MDW, which was my first choice. In our class was MDW, BWI, HOU, MCO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HawaiiHawk
11-04-2017, 08:15 AM
Thanks guys. In your experience are most people getting close to their 1st or 2nd pick?

saab2000
11-04-2017, 08:27 AM
Thanks guys. In your experience are most people getting close to their 1st or 2nd pick?

Depends on their pick. As things are right now, most folks get their first pick within a few months, unless that pick is ATL.

HawaiiHawk
11-04-2017, 08:30 AM
Good info, saab2000, thanks!

Sqwk7700
11-04-2017, 08:53 AM

I got my last pick! Things are moving pretty quick now though. Shouldnít take more than 6 months to hold the base you want (except ATL).

HawaiiHawk
11-04-2017, 09:01 AM
I got my last pick! Things are moving pretty quick now though. Shouldnít take more than 6 months to hold the base you want (except ATL).

Thanks Sqwk7700, good to know. BTW, what was your last pick?

Sqwk7700
11-04-2017, 09:03 AM
Thanks Sqwk7700, good to know. BTW, what was your last pick?

Baltimore.

French3Holer
11-05-2017, 11:22 AM
How long to hold DAL?

RckyMtHigh
11-05-2017, 02:49 PM
How long to hold DAL?

Looks like about 5 months from start date. So maybe 2-3 months of commuting.

oldboyroy
11-05-2017, 07:09 PM
BWI, HOU, MDW were the majority of the awards. I wanted MCO and next month I will be able to get it and I haven't done IOE yet until next week. So, you can get what you want from what I have seen with 6 months for sure, except ATL....years!!

squirtinvert
11-07-2017, 02:11 PM
It varies depending on when you get hired and how many are in the following class. I got HOU then LAS then MDW and probably 2-3 more months for DEN. Expect 6-9 months for the ďtop tierĒ bases.

PropCop
11-08-2017, 11:45 AM
It varies depending on when you get hired and how many are in the following class. I got HOU then LAS then MDW and probably 2-3 more months for DEN. Expect 6-9 months for the ďtop tierĒ bases.

The changes were because you were bidding the changes??

DAL07
11-16-2017, 06:09 AM
Any estimate on how long to hold a line @ BWI?

btodd77
11-16-2017, 12:07 PM
Any estimate on how long to hold a line at MCO??

bitatasg
11-16-2017, 12:47 PM
Any estimate on how long to hold a line at MCO??

I barely missed a line in December and Iíve been here 11 months. December is a weird bidding month with guys going for Christmas off. A normal month my guess is 24 months to hold a hard line, much less for a ďblank lineĒ. I held a blank after 7 months with the company.

btodd77
11-16-2017, 02:46 PM
I barely missed a line in December and Iíve been here 11 months. December is a weird bidding month with guys going for Christmas off. A normal month my guess is 24 months to hold a hard line, much less for a ďblank lineĒ. I held a blank after 7 months with the company.

Is a blank line what we called a buildup line at a previous job?? It would be a mix of reserve days and a trip or two thrown in there. It was mostly stuff that came off other lines due to vacations,.

barabek
11-16-2017, 03:30 PM
Is a blank line what we called a buildup line at a previous job?? It would be a mix of reserve days and a trip or two thrown in there. It was mostly stuff that came off other lines due to vacations,.

Yes, except for they build those lines and you bid for them in the second round on the 17th of the month. You actually bid for specific lines (some contain reserve blocks). Seniority is determined by which blank line you held during the first round (as far as I remember).

at6d
11-16-2017, 09:38 PM
The good thing about the blanks is that you are able to trade the trips with those available in the electronic trip trade.

Many of the blanks can be good paying lines.

btodd77
11-17-2017, 03:13 AM
Got it. Thanks for the info guys.

hoover
11-17-2017, 02:11 PM
Time to hold a line at BWI is tuff. They keep putting new hires there which takes away from available lines each month. I was 100 from the bottom and barely got a blank line month after month. I moved bases and lost senority but was able to control my schedule much better since I wasn't at the bottom of blank lines.
Until they stop staffing BWI with newbies then it will be a real long time to hold a line. A year to hold blank.

Kilroy
11-23-2017, 06:00 AM
Time to hold a line at BWI is tuff. They keep putting new hires there which takes away from available lines each month. I was 100 from the bottom and barely got a blank line month after month. I moved bases and lost senority but was able to control my schedule much better since I wasn't at the bottom of blank lines.
Until they stop staffing BWI with newbies then it will be a real long time to hold a line. A year to hold blank.

Whatís the chances of a new hire getting DEN.

Smooth at FL450
11-23-2017, 06:34 AM

Pretty slim of getting it right away, but pretty good of getting it after a month of 2 in OAK or BWI.

flyguy81
11-23-2017, 06:59 AM

Running about 4-6 months seniority for DEN. Good news is on the Jan bid theyíre adding 8 FOís so in reality probably 10-15 will be coming in as people move around/upgrade.

at6d
11-23-2017, 08:12 AM
Adding a bunch to PHX too!

AMC190
11-26-2017, 04:28 PM
How long to hold Dallas or Houston base, for next year new hires ? Thanks

Grm77
11-26-2017, 04:29 PM

Whatís your best guess to hold a line (open or better) for a new hire at BWI?

ArmyRC12Dude
11-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Whatís your best guess to hold a line (open or better) for a new hire at BWI?

Just finishing year one (today in fact). Blank line territory in August, hard line in November. YMMV

Grm77
11-27-2017, 06:26 PM
Just finishing year one (today in fact). Blank line territory in August, hard line in November. YMMV

Copy. Thanks!

Did you ever think about bidding a different base (commute for a bit...say MDW) to wait it out?

Amacron7
11-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Hired 10/17 our entire class got OAK. we have 28 in our class

apu4eva
12-05-2017, 06:02 AM
BWI, HOU, MDW were the majority of the awards. I wanted MCO and next month I will be able to get it and I haven't done IOE yet until next week. So, you can get what you want from what I have seen with 6 months for sure, except ATL....years!!

You're saying you got HOU right out of training??

Proximity
12-05-2017, 06:43 AM
You're saying you got HOU right out of training??

There have been a few new hires to Houston in each of the last couple bids. You'll likely need to be the top new hire class bidding. If not, you'll likely get Houston on the next bid.

at6d
12-05-2017, 08:09 AM
Latest newhire awards:

BWI: 19
LAS: 12
MDW: 10
OAK: 41

That being said, junior pilots on this award in DAL and DEN, is a 129200+ number (DOH around August 17)

PHX guys are in the 129800 range (around Sept 17).

HOU guys are over the 130000 numbers (around Oct 17).

Blackhawk
12-05-2017, 09:05 AM
What would be the easier commute from NYC? BWI air MDW?

Sike
12-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Greetings. I'm considering jumping ship from my overseas widebody job and was wondering if someone who is based in OAK and actually lives in the Bay Area could PM me.

Thanks

apu4eva
12-05-2017, 11:00 AM
That's awesome news for me! I'll be commuting from a town in Texas and was/am expecting to commute to OAK or BWI or something like that. But if I could get HOU out of the gate that would be awesome!

WHACKMASTER
12-05-2017, 06:42 PM

MDW definitely. Out of LGA.

e6bpilot
12-05-2017, 08:26 PM
MDW definitely. Out of LGA.

Second that. We donít fly nonstop from any nyc airports to bwi. Itís either schlep on the train or expressway up to ISP to go to BWI or do the two leg commute.
MDW has pretty good frequency out of LGA and EWR.

ZapBrannigan
12-06-2017, 03:09 AM
Second that. We donít fly nonstop from any nyc airports to bwi. Itís either schlep on the train or expressway up to ISP to go to BWI or do the two leg commute.
MDW has pretty good frequency out of LGA and EWR.

UA has 4 flights a day to BWI from EWR
DL has 4 flights a day from JFK and AA has 1

Amtrak would be more comfortable though. Thereís a free shuttle from the Amtrak/MARC station to BWI airport 24 hours a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoover
12-07-2017, 05:59 PM

I did that commute for a yr. I chose BWI because of train option to get home when NYC airports close.
MDW has non stops on us. To get to/from BWI you have to go off line. Delta has a 9pm out of JFK thatís always open. Iíd take that for my AM flight the next day. For a PM report delta has. 8-9 am flight that gets you in in time. Also United has a flight out of EWR in morning that gets you in in time for PM RAP.
Coming home almost always was delayed. If an AM flight or reserve delta and AA had flights mid day and afternoon. The last flight out was the United at 1930 but sometimes itís was on a dash8 100 so weight limited but I was only affected by this once.
Like I said when the NYC airports close in the winter there is always the train $80-100 one way last min. If you booked when you got schedule itís around $40 and refundable so you could go that route. Train is awesome. 2:45 and never crowded. Can get to from train by free shuttle at BWI.
I only came home through ISP a few times. Our flights donít correspond with train sched so definitely last option.
A few times we had a ferry to LGA. jumped on that. (Best option)

All that being said I moved to a base and wouldnít look back.

Synixman
12-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Gents, quick question for the group. I'm looking to live in the MKE area, no SWA base but MDW is close-ish and drivable, although through Chicago which can be obviously rough. Are there MDW trips that originate out of MKE regularly/at all? I know SWA is doing more and more out of MKE lately.

at6d
12-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Trips originate at the domiciles.

Proximity
12-09-2017, 11:47 AM
Gents, quick question for the group. I'm looking to live in the MKE area, no SWA base but MDW is close-ish and drivable, although through Chicago which can be obviously rough. Are there MDW trips that originate out of MKE regularly/at all? I know SWA is doing more and more out of MKE lately.

There are many pilots driving from Wisconsin to MDW. You can even sit reserve at home if you don't live too far north. Traffic can be a PITA in the late afternoon, I-294 and I-55 get busy. MKE is also a good place to non-rev on SWA, as we have many flights out of that airport, however, we do not serve MKE/MDW. You will for the most part be driving to MDW as already mentioned trips originate out domiciles and there will be no trips that start with a MDW-MKE deadhead.

12-19-2017, 09:11 AM
how senior/junior is atl as a base?

Warhawg01
12-19-2017, 09:39 AM
You're new here, right. This has been asked and answered many times.

ATL is the most senior base, by an order of magnitude. Years to get there. Many years.

barabek
12-19-2017, 10:32 AM
how senior/junior is atl as a base?

The "plug" FO was hired in September 2010...

Proximity
12-19-2017, 03:34 PM
The "plug" FO was hired in September 2010...

So it's getting much more junior then it was. Like others have said, it might tun in a base like Orlando. Top heavy with a few spots on the bottom for junior people.

12-22-2017, 03:18 PM
Is initial seniority done by age, or SS#, or?

Fuseplug
12-22-2017, 03:22 PM
Age within your class.

WHACKMASTER
12-22-2017, 04:09 PM
Age within your class.

Okay, but how long until you can hold ATL?

Twinjetav8r
12-22-2017, 04:11 PM
Atlanta is about 5-7 years. It is super senior

WHACKMASTER
12-22-2017, 04:12 PM
Atlanta is about 5-7 years. It is super senior

Bahahahahahaha! Congrats. You took the bait, and in record time! Lmao.

Peacock
12-22-2017, 04:34 PM
Why is ATL so senior? High social security numbers?

Sqwk7700
12-22-2017, 05:26 PM
Why is ATL so senior? High social security numbers?

Trannies..

Machtransition
12-23-2017, 04:54 AM
Gents,

Living in western NY, I would prefer either BWI or MDW as a base. Does anyone have any experience, or know anyone who has done these commutes? I know BUF has several directs per day to each of these bases, though I think they're generally pretty full.

Thank you for any input.

CA1900
12-23-2017, 12:04 PM
Gents,

Living in western NY, I would prefer either BWI or MDW as a base. Does anyone have any experience, or know anyone who has done these commutes?

I don't do that particular commute, but at a glance, it looks like BWI would be a better option because there are more flights per day, increasing the odds of one lining up closer to your scheduled trip. (You also have three flights a day from ROC, which might be another option.)

The downside of BWI is that there isn't a cheap and easy way to commute into IAD or DCA as a backup and get to BWI. MDW, on the other hand, is a ~95-minute train ride to ORD, and that would add several United and American flights as commute options if the timing works out. Check out FlightLookup Display Flights (http://www.flightlookup.com/) as a tool to see various commute options, and plan on working mostly weekends initially. (So look at schedules for Friday and Saturday going out.)

I commute to OAK and am currently on reserve, and have gone to SFO several times because it let me sleep in a couple hours longer before leaving my house. As long as you're phone contactable at the beginning if your reserve block, you don't need to be anywhere near your base; you just have to be able to report within 2 hours of the call. SFO-OAK is a little over an hour on the train, so that works out very nicely for me. ORD/MDW would be similar.

Stitches
12-23-2017, 05:36 PM
Okay, but how long until you can hold ATL?

I don't care who you are that's some funny sh*t right there!

WHACKMASTER
12-23-2017, 06:21 PM
I don't care who you are that's some funny sh*t right there!

Well, at least somebody got the joke ;)

Machtransition
12-24-2017, 03:24 AM
CA1900,

Thanks for the detailed response! You brought up a few points that I had not even considered, like commuting from ROC in a pinch and the need for an alternate destination in case BWI or MDW had issues.

I will check out the website you linked. I suppose worst case scenario I could always drive as well, though I don't think I'd want to make a habit of that since its about 6.5 hours :eek:

hoover
12-28-2017, 08:24 AM
I commuted to BWI for a yr from NYC. You can fly into DCA and take the train to BWI. It'll take an hr. Uber rides aren't that bad $40 and will take 30-45min. In a pinch those will work. There's also a bus but I never researched that one. If there are flights on company metal use that and if you can't get on use the commuter policy. I did once when NYC shut down for 2 days for snow. Not even a question from scheduling.
I've met several who commute from BUF and all have done both bases. Either is relatively easy

tm602
12-28-2017, 08:34 AM
So how long to ATL? Just kidding. Serious though how long for PHX LAS or DEN?

flyguy81
12-28-2017, 09:12 AM

Depending on the monthly bid itís a few months wait.

RJSAviator76
12-28-2017, 01:11 PM

New hires out of training got PHX and LAS in February. DEN plug in February is an August 2017 hire.

French3Holer
12-30-2017, 06:57 AM
DAL still running a few months?

Smooth at FL450
12-30-2017, 07:02 AM
DAL still running a few months?

Yes. Junior guy to get awarded DAL in FEB was hired very end of August.

dash8driver
12-30-2017, 07:17 AM
Iím scheduled to finish up my LOFT on 2/2-2/3. Planning on OAK for March and BWI for April 🤞🏼 Whatís everyoneís experience been for IOE and consolidation? Iíve heard you get a line to consolidate but wasnít sure if training/planning will try to get you your preferred base or if itís whatever you were awarded for your vacancy? Hoping to commute to the west coast as little as possible.

dash8driver
12-30-2017, 07:33 AM
February vacancy (new hires):
BWI-11
HOU-5
LAS-8
MDW-5
OAK-47
PHX-5

Smooth at FL450
12-30-2017, 07:36 AM
I’m scheduled to finish up my LOFT on 2/2-2/3. Planning on OAK for March and BWI for April ���� What’s everyone’s experience been for IOE and consolidation? I’ve heard you get a line to consolidate but wasn’t sure if training/planning will try to get you your preferred base or if it’s whatever you were awarded for your vacancy? Hoping to commute to the west coast as little as possible.

Your hardline month following IOE will be assigned to you, and it's usually in your preferred base.

BTW, finishing up early in Feb will work great for you...contract states that you'll get a full hardline month, so scheduling will build out the rest of Feb for you and then you'll bid for your hardline in March. So you likely won't see reserve until April.

flyguy81
12-30-2017, 08:18 AM
Your hardline month following IOE will be assigned to you, and it's usually in your preferred base.

BTW, finishing up early in Feb will work great for you...contract states that you'll get a full hardline month, so scheduling will build out the rest of Feb for you and then you'll bid for your hardline in March. So you likely won't see reserve until April.

Unless thatís a new thing...thatís not true at all. Our hard line month was in the base we were awarded. They also pulled our first trip for IOE. When I asked about getting a hard line the following month due to still being in training I was told no.

dash8driver
12-30-2017, 08:18 AM

Awesome, thanks Smooth.

Warhawg01
12-30-2017, 08:28 AM
That's how it worked for me last year, finishing IOE in early Feb. Assigned Hardline for the rest of Feb in my preferred domicile, then another assigned hardline for the full month of March in OAK.

Blackhawk
01-10-2018, 05:30 AM
I commuted to BWI for a yr from NYC. You can fly into DCA and take the train to BWI. It'll take an hr. Uber rides aren't that bad $40 and will take 30-45min. In a pinch those will work. There's also a bus but I never researched that one. If there are flights on company metal use that and if you can't get on use the commuter policy. I did once when NYC shut down for 2 days for snow. Not even a question from scheduling.
I've met several who commute from BUF and all have done both bases. Either is relatively easy

Do you still live in NYC and commute to a different base or did you move to BWI area? Trying to figure which one. Thanks.

hoover
01-11-2018, 06:37 AM
I moved to a base. I'm finally at a company that will most likely be around for 20 yrs so I moved. I now work fewer days for more money and don't miss the commute one bit.

ZapBrannigan
01-11-2018, 06:43 AM
I'm finally at a company that will most likely be around for 20 yrs

Well now youíve jinxed us. Taunting the gods of aviation misfortune like that...

at6d
01-11-2018, 12:02 PM
Donít worry. They will add LAX as an option this year. 500 pilot base by November.

Tenacvols
01-11-2018, 12:39 PM
Donít worry. They will add LAX as an option this year. 500 pilot base by November.

Donít tease me...

ZapBrannigan
01-11-2018, 01:12 PM

All other bases to shrink by 50 pilots to build the ETOPS base...

No good can come of this. Curse of the monkey paw.

https://gph.is/1TviUtD

chrisreedrules
01-13-2018, 04:15 AM
What is the current time to be awarded FO MCO, and what about holding a line as an FO in MCO?

RJSAviator76
01-13-2018, 07:04 AM
What is the current time to be awarded FO MCO, and what about holding a line as an FO in MCO?

You should be able to get MCO by your second or third month after hitting the line. As to when youíd be able to hold a line, thatís a different story... Itís a very top heavy base.

chrisreedrules
01-13-2018, 10:46 AM
You should be able to get MCO by your second or third month after hitting the line. As to when youíd be able to hold a line, thatís a different story... Itís a very top heavy base.

Thanks for the quick reply! Currently at an AA WO with roughly 3-4 years to flow. SWA and AA are the only 2 majors I have any real interest in at this moment for the Florida bases. MCO would mean I can stay put where Iím at and drive to work. MIA at AA would necessitate a move and uprooting the family. Either way my wife doesnít want to move out of Florida so those are the best options for me...

Milksheikh
01-13-2018, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! Currently at an AA WO with roughly 3-4 years to flow. SWA and AA are the only 2 majors I have any real interest in at this moment for the Florida bases. MCO would mean I can stay put where Iím at and drive to work. MIA at AA would necessitate a move and uprooting the family. Either way my wife doesnít want to move out of Florida so those are the best options for me...

No love for brown? Ups has a base in Mia i believe. Unless late night cargo isn't your thing which is understandable.

chrisreedrules
01-13-2018, 06:04 PM
No love for brown? Ups has a base in Mia i believe. Unless late night cargo isn't your thing which is understandable.

Their pay is certainly attractive but that lifestyle does not suit me one bit haha...

happygilmore
01-13-2018, 08:00 PM
I'm starting at SWA in February. I've been a corporate pilot since 1997. My wife and I would like to move to Orlando. I've heard you can hold any base except Atlanta first year. I've also heard that Orlando is top heavy. I'm assuming this means I would be on reserve for a long time before senior enough to get a line. I'm a 121 rookie, what's the good and bad about being reserve?

chrisreedrules
01-13-2018, 08:10 PM
I'm starting at SWA in February. I've been a corporate pilot since 1997. My wife and I would like to move to Orlando. I've heard you can hold any base except Atlanta first year. I've also heard that Orlando is top heavy. I'm assuming this means I would be on reserve for a long time before senior enough to get a line. I'm a 121 rookie, what's the good and bad about being reserve?

All the bad, none of the good... Living in base can make reserve very palatable though.

CA1900
01-13-2018, 08:41 PM
I'm a 121 rookie, what's the good and bad about being reserve?

The good: it pays fairly well, especially if you get rolled onto a trip. An unused reserve day pays 6.0 TFP, but if you go out on a trip, you're paid the average daily guarantee of 6.5 per day on the days you fly. So it's very unlikely you'll get less than 100 TFP per month without picking up any extra days.

The biggest downside to reserve at SWA: reserve days are ineligible for ELITT, the system we use to trade trips with the company for other unassigned trips. If you have a regular line of trips, you have a good shot at being able to change them for different trips (maybe an easier one, maybe one that pays more, maybe an overnight you like), changing workdays for a day you need to be home, and so on. With reserve? The only way to make changes is to swap or give away the reserve days with other pilots, and that's often hard to do.

If you're living in base, it wouldn't be terrible. We don't do "ready reserve" (sitting at the airport in case a trip pops up), so you can sit at home or run errands or whatever. You have two hours from notification of a trip to report to the pilot lounge.

Warhawg01
01-13-2018, 08:55 PM
I just did the math on my first year. I spent 25% of my Reserve days from my couch, including Christmas and New Years. Two complete four day blocks and three 3-day blocks I didn't turn a wheel. One of those was in the middle of summer. Right now the FO Reserve bench can be pretty deep. We hired a lot of dudes this past year, with a fleet that actually got a bit smaller. We are supposed to hire just a tad less in 2018, but who knows what else the year holds. If you live in base -- right now at least -- getting 18 or 24 TFP for doing nothing isn't too bad.

happygilmore
01-14-2018, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. The reserve schedule doesn't sound that bad to me. Maybe I'm missing something. I actually feel like I'm sitting reserve in the corporate world. If I'm not scheduled to fly, I still have to be available short notice for the pop up trip. Aka house arrest. Except no hourly limitations or guaranteed days off.

Proximity
01-15-2018, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the replies. The reserve schedule doesn't sound that bad to me. Maybe I'm missing something. I actually feel like I'm sitting reserve in the corporate world. If I'm not scheduled to fly, I still have to be available short notice for the pop up trip. Aka house arrest. Except no hourly limitations or guaranteed days off.

Very true, this was always an issue I had in the corporate world. Very few operators give you a true day off where you know 100% they won't call and expect you to fly.

The main con of reserve is that you'll be working weekends, with really no ability move your blocks since you don't have access to ELITT (trip trading). There are very few (sometimes zero!) reserve lines with multiple weekends off every month. It's also hard to create longer groups of days off for the same reason.

That said I trade or bid into a fair amount of reserve. Living in base you can game the system to get paid to sit at home. Reserve that comes from the OT process pays 2nd year rates (wish I took advantage of this more my first year). If it's busy, there is a good chance you're reserve block will pay well as often a change means premium pay.

apu4eva
01-15-2018, 06:43 AM
I've been wondering the same thing! Happy I am in the same boat as you; all corporate and 135 my whole career. If you are reserve and don't live in base, does that mean you still need to be available within 2 hours. So I would need a crash pad or hotel?

Peacock
01-15-2018, 06:57 AM
I've been wondering the same thing! Happy I am in the same boat as you; all corporate and 135 my whole career. If you are reserve and don't live in base, does that mean you still need to be available within 2 hours. So I would need a crash pad or hotel?
Yes

Filler

Proximity
01-15-2018, 09:51 AM

They don't tell you where to sleep but you have to be able to report to the lounge in 2 hours on reserve.

at6d
01-15-2018, 11:13 AM
Just a side noteóalso former corporate guy hereóyou do have the ability to give away reserve blocks and/or trade a block for a trip in TTGA (trip trade/give away).

I was hired just over two years ago and had a decent amount of success immediately putting every reserve block up for giveaway AND trade with the remarks ďtrade for any PM trip.Ē

Many times, I ended up with either somebody picking up my reserve block (which allowed me then to pick up a giveaway trip) or getting a trip in trade.

In both cases, once I ended up with a trip, I was able to trade that trip in ELITT, or again in TTGA.

Or, if my block was picked up I was able to bid on open time at straight pay (which pays a newhire at second year rates).

I was a commuter on reserve, and having even a crappy trip (AM or PM) traded gave me some leverage on my schedule.

Yes, it didnít always work.

Yes, we have many more pilots on property now than two years ago, and it is harder to give away.

But! If you donít try, it wonít happen.

Look on the bright side! Compared to corporate ďon call 24/7Ē life, once your reserve trip is done, you donít have to clean/stock/fuel/make the schedule/negotiate training contracts/arrange catering/rental cars/submit expense receipts/defend your $30 lunch after dropping off 1 pax with an $800 ramp fee and $4000 in fuel plus $2500 deicing fees, etc.

You just...go home.

happygilmore
01-16-2018, 03:56 AM
So how long would I be on reserve in Orlando. Is there a way to see hire date of the most junior FO at MCO domicile?

Warhawg01
01-16-2018, 06:22 AM
The plug FO in MCO is an Oct 17 hire. Approximately six months to get off Reserve and into a blank line, which may or may not have some reserve blocks included in it.

apu4eva
01-18-2018, 06:33 AM
At6d thanks for the info. I think the scheduling tricks of the trade are going to be one of the more difficult things to learn lol!

e6bpilot
01-26-2018, 01:45 PM
March vacancy award has an early 2014 hire being awarded ATL. As far as I know, thatís the first non-AirTran FO awarded ATL since bids opened for AT guys (a few OSW guys snuck in on the initial captain bids prior to AirTran upgrades).
There are definitely some outliers like guys waiting for a line or better seniority, but as long as ATL continues to grow, I predict it will stabilize with a much lower time to hold it within a year or so like Orlando has done.

at6d
01-26-2018, 06:16 PM
Looks like a bunch of new hires got PHX for March. That hasnít happened in a while.

PowerShift
01-26-2018, 10:31 PM
Looks like a bunch of new hires got PHX for March. That hasnít happened in a while.

Yeah, a whole class it looks like.

Westpac15
01-27-2018, 05:44 AM
In our specific class 05DEC17 we got split into 4 groups

1 HOU
4 LAS
5 OAK
18 PHX

We were the middle of 3 new hire classes for the Mar bid

Redchevron
02-22-2018, 07:52 AM
Any new hire base assignments?

Cysco4120
02-22-2018, 08:30 AM
Any new hire base assignments?

April awards will be posted in a couple of hours. Should include 2 new hire classes. Iíll try to post the new hire breakdown when they come out.

Cysco4120
02-22-2018, 11:12 AM
April awards

55 New hires

BWI 1
HOU 3
OAK 42
PHX 9

ATL is down to under 2 years. May 2016 hire.

Squallrider
02-22-2018, 12:27 PM
Current wait time on mdw?

Peacock
02-22-2018, 01:14 PM
I could have had MDW within two months, and any base but DEN, DAL, and ATL within five, and all but ATL within six

It varies, and new hires sometimes get almost every base but ATL. OAK is pretty much always junior though

Proximity
02-22-2018, 01:48 PM

MDW is fairly junior, it just shrunk a couple pilots this bid which prevented new hires from getting it. Some bids new hires get it, sometimes it takes 1-2 months.

Squallrider
02-22-2018, 02:58 PM
MDW is fairly junior, it just shrunk a couple pilots this bid which prevented new hires from getting it. Some bids new hires get it, sometimes it takes 1-2 months.

So potentially by end of class. I live in Chicago and Iíd commute for a while as needed, Oakland would be very far.

Skyward
02-22-2018, 05:16 PM
So potentially by end of class. I live in Chicago and Iíd commute for a while as needed, Oakland would be very far.

The longest you might have to do OAK is one month (the first one after IOE). After that, you would get something closer if not MDW. The good thing is vacancy bids are done every month.

Redchevron
02-22-2018, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=Cysco4120;2534623]April awards

55 New hires

BWI 1
HOU 3
OAK 42
PHX 9

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So if I'm offered an April class...are these bases the ones available for us? If so, is it feats of strength to determine who gets what?

Squallrider
02-22-2018, 06:50 PM

55 New hires

BWI 1
HOU 3
OAK 42
PHX 9

So if I'm offered an April class...are these bases the ones available for us? If so, is it feats of strength to determine who gets what?

Itís by seniority and seniority is by age I was told, oldest is most senior etc

Proximity
02-22-2018, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=Cysco4120;2534623]

No, it varies from month to month. However, most new hires can expect OAK or BWI. The other bases vary, but typically it doesn't take long to get any base other than ATL, and as discussed the time to get ATL is dropping rapidly.

You'll bid in the vacancy bid with all the other pilots, no speical bid for new hires. Seniority is determined by oldest in class.

flensr
02-22-2018, 11:37 PM
How would LAS fit in there?

barabek
02-22-2018, 11:38 PM

55 New hires

BWI 1
HOU 3
OAK 42
PHX 9

If I understand your question, no. Those bases went to new hires already on the property, most likely January hires. All it means is that they will bid for schedule for their first time in March to get April line in the base their seniority allowed them to hold (age determines seniority in the same class). If you get an April class, you're gonna most likely bid for July. The junior bases may be different, although I would expect OAK on the list for sure.

Stitches
02-23-2018, 04:44 AM
Iíd wager starting in the fall we will see a big plus up in the bases out west in preparation for opening the LAX domicile.

at6d
02-24-2018, 09:50 PM
Already started. Thatís two months in a row with new hires to PHX.

Redchevron
02-25-2018, 06:11 PM
So how many weeks should I expect to be in Dallas for training?

Grm77
02-25-2018, 06:15 PM

7ish weeks give or take. They are moving sims to the new building and availability changes based on when they go down/up right now. YMMV slightly.

BlueSideUp85
02-27-2018, 03:19 PM
Anybody have an idea of age range in the new hire classes.

Peacock
02-27-2018, 04:34 PM
As young as 26 or 27. Oldest usually mid to late 50ís. Most 30ís and 40ís

saab2000
02-27-2018, 09:23 PM
Anybody have an idea of age range in the new hire classes.

I was the most senior in my class, at 50 years and 5 days. Very honored to be here and humbled to be the most senior and the second most experienced, in terms of flight hours. Experience has paid off by making it a fairly seamless transition.

My classmates and I were booked at our hotel for 55 consecutive nights, and I had a few off in the middle while other took and passed their type-rating verbal exams. Thankfully, I had that out of the way at a prior job. Started early February and finished April 1, 2017. Follow the company's instruction of not checking out during any days off. But you will be in Dallas for seven to eight consecutive weeks, with the possibility of a day or two off to go home. But don't count on much time off. It's a fairly saturated time during training.

Bwipilot
02-28-2018, 05:44 AM
My classmates and I were booked at our hotel for 55 consecutive nights, and I had a few off in the middle while other took and passed their type-rating verbal exams. Thankfully, I had that out of the way at a prior job. Started early February and finished April 1, 2017.

I remember being in the training center with a few pilots lamenting how long NH training was--and then two of them cracked up that it was less than a third of any of their carrier deployments. They were happy to note it was the longest "deployment" that they would ever have to suffer again.

The last "deployment" is one most everyone enjoys is captain upgrade. It's only a few weeks and results in a 40% pay increase. :)

saab2000
02-28-2018, 09:30 AM
The last "deployment" is one most everyone enjoys is captain upgrade. It's only a few weeks and results in a 40% pay increase. :)

I'm looking forward to upgrade too! That said, I don't see it happening anytime too soon. I think it's running about ten years right now. At this moment I'm just happy to be on second year pay!

RJSAviator76
02-28-2018, 09:57 AM
I'm looking forward to upgrade too! That said, I don't see it happening anytime too soon. I think it's running about ten years right now. At this moment I'm just happy to be on second year pay!

Some things to keep in mind:

- Your current company-wide seniority in percentage and the rate of change.

- Bottom captain upgrades which are currently going at 60-61% company-wide seniority.

- Current and forecast hiring.

- Number of retirements.

People upgrading now have indeed waited about 10 years. I truly donít think thatíll be the case for the people hired in this current wave unless they choose not to upgrade or the economy takes a sharp turn south.

ZapBrannigan
02-28-2018, 02:49 PM
I love myseniority.com but I DO wish that you had the ability to show ďfast growth until (date) then 1%Ē or something like that.

Because the predictions on there really arenít accurate during this period of significant hiring. Nor will the significant hiring last forever. At some point they will reach the number of pilots they want on the list and go back to hiring to cover attrition.

WHACKMASTER
02-28-2018, 05:36 PM
I love myseniority.com but I DO wish that you had the ability to show ďfast growth until (date) then 1%Ē or something like that.

Because the predictions on there really arenít accurate during this period of significant hiring. Nor will the significant hiring last forever. At some point they will reach the number of pilots they want on the list and go back to hiring to cover attrition.

I hear ya, but the guy that runs it and created it has been doing it strictly as a service to the pilot group so we canít complain to much.

ZapBrannigan
02-28-2018, 05:41 PM
I hear ya, but the guy that runs it and created it has been doing it strictly as a service to the pilot group so we canít complain to much.

No, absolutely. I know he has been doing it out of the kindness of his heart (just like the guy who made the CrewWeb app) and doesnít charge for it. Not complaining about the product. The minute we stop hiring it will be significantly more accurate.

Just whining that without knowing how many pilots the company wants when the music stops, itís really not possible to make upgrade estimates.

PowerShift
02-28-2018, 07:54 PM
I think if one looked at how many pilots were on property in 1993 and 2018 and divide that by 25 yrs, you would get a good average of yearly growth. That time frame has seen a few up and down cycles, as well as growth spurts.

jetset
02-28-2018, 11:00 PM
I think if one looked at how many pilots were on property in 1993 and 2018 and divide that by 25 yrs, you would get a good average of yearly growth. That time frame has seen a few up and down cycles, as well as growth spurts.

Please share that formula. For those that don't know. :)

Skyward
03-01-2018, 02:30 AM
No, absolutely. I know he has been doing it out of the kindness of his heart (just like the guy who made the CrewWeb app) and doesnít charge for it. Not complaining about the product. The minute we stop hiring it will be significantly more accurate.

Just whining that without knowing how many pilots the company wants when the music stops, itís really not possible to make upgrade estimates.

Last time I was in the training center, the number 12000+ pilots was being tossed around by some management folks. What they wouldnít say was how long it would take to get there.

RJSAviator76
03-01-2018, 04:50 AM
With 60% being the magic number...

900 new hires per year + scheduled pilot retirements though 2021 = 2014 hires reaching 60% in the first half of 2021.

I think 2015-2016 hires will reach 60% in the first half of 2022 as Age 65 retirements accelerate in 2021 onward.

This is also not taking into account any early-outs.

There's my napkin math. The question is... being a commuter Zap, would you take the first available upgrade?

Squallrider
03-01-2018, 04:53 AM
When I talked to a recruiter she said 1000 a year is the baseline they get however she said management keeps coming back asking for more

ZapBrannigan
03-01-2018, 09:00 AM
With 60% being the magic number...

900 new hires per year + scheduled pilot retirements though 2021 = 2014 hires reaching 60% in the first half of 2021.

I think 2015-2016 hires will reach 60% in the first half of 2022 as Age 65 retirements accelerate in 2021 onward.

This is also not taking into account any early-outs.

There's my napkin math. The question is... being a commuter Zap, would you take the first available upgrade?

Thanks for doing the math for us. I appreciate it! Also keeping in mind that the economy is cyclical and itís unlikely that it will continue to fire on all cylinders for the next 5 years.

I donít commute anymore. Gave up and moved to domicile a couple of years ago because of the fact that there were no commutable lines. (at least for me, commuting offline to a different airport and taking the train from there to my domicile)

That said, my child is 11 years old right now. He has about 5 and a half more years at home before he heads to college. I will want to be home for all of those important milestones over those 5-6 years. Games, concerts, dances, first dates, graduation, and as much summer and holiday vacation as I can wrangle.

So, while I canít guess how the temptation of seeing classmates upgrade might make me feel.... at the moment I would say no, I wouldnít plan on the first upgrade. Iíd wait until he goes to college in 2024 or so. Easy to say that when Iím not faced with the choice though.

Fwiw that would leave me with about 13 years in the left seat before retirement.

flyguy81
03-01-2018, 09:50 AM
2015 hire and if that math works my oldest would be 10. Iíd bypass till I can hold CA in my base and drive to work on rsv. Might commute to LAS since itís a easy commute and hotels are cheap...Iím done with crashpads. Upgrade in 2022 would give me 24 yrs in the left seat if I punched out at 65.

ZapBrannigan
03-01-2018, 10:17 AM
2015 hire and if that math works my oldest would be 10. Iíd bypass till I can hold CA in my base and drive to work on rsv. Might commute to LAS since itís a easy commute and hotels are cheap...Iím done with crashpads. Upgrade in 2022 would give me 24 yrs in the left seat if I punched out at 65.

Man I am so jealous of you for so many reasons. [emoji106] Iím happy for ya.

flyguy81
03-01-2018, 01:43 PM
Man I am so jealous of you for so many reasons. [emoji106] Iím happy for ya.

Thanks! Thought I was screwed in 2009 when the economy and age 65 derailed my ďplansĒ. Couldíve been here or somewhere else at 28 instead of 34. Even with the lost 5 years Iíve still got it pretty darn good in the grand scheme of things. Definitely canít complain at all.

ZapBrannigan
03-01-2018, 04:04 PM
I was 26 when I started at my first major. [emoji17] That was 15 years, almost to the day before I started at WN. [emoji31]

flyguy81
03-01-2018, 04:53 PM
I was 26 when I started at my first major. [emoji17] That was 15 years, almost to the day before I started at WN. [emoji31]

One thing Iíve learned: thereís always someone whoís got it way better than you and thereís always someone whoís had it way worse. At least things are moving in the right direction for now.

RJSAviator76
03-02-2018, 03:06 AM
Thanks for doing the math for us. I appreciate it! Also keeping in mind that the economy is cyclical and it’s unlikely that it will continue to fire on all cylinders for the next 5 years.

I don’t commute anymore. Gave up and moved to domicile a couple of years ago because of the fact that there were no commutable lines. (at least for me, commuting offline to a different airport and taking the train from there to my domicile)

That said, my child is 11 years old right now. He has about 5 and a half more years at home before he heads to college. I will want to be home for all of those important milestones over those 5-6 years. Games, concerts, dances, first dates, graduation, and as much summer and holiday vacation as I can wrangle.

So, while I can’t guess how the temptation of seeing classmates upgrade might make me feel.... at the moment I would say no, I wouldn’t plan on the first upgrade. I’d wait until he goes to college in 2024 or so. Easy to say that when I’m not faced with the choice though.

Fwiw that would leave me with about 13 years in the left seat before retirement.

Family always comes first and that's fantastic. But I can see how flying with a 1%'er could push someone over the top if they have seniority to upgrade... Fly with a true kernal once, you really start thinking about it, fly with another one, and off to upgrade and commuting to OAK or LAS you go. ;)

Proximity
03-22-2018, 11:15 AM
Well it's official, Atlanta FO no longer senior...now only takes one year on property to hold it verses ten this time last year.

Rhinoceros
08-24-2018, 03:12 AM
There are many pilots driving from Wisconsin to MDW. You can even sit reserve at home if you don't live too far north. Traffic can be a PITA in the late afternoon, I-294 and I-55 get busy. MKE is also a good place to non-rev on SWA, as we have many flights out of that airport, however, we do not serve MKE/MDW. You will for the most part be driving to MDW as already mentioned trips originate out domiciles and there will be no trips that start with a MDW-MKE deadhead.

Wonder if Proximity or anyone else can expand on this a bit. My "perfect" scenario would be to live in the MKE area and drive to work. As I understand it, if called to work while on reserve you need to report w/in 2 hours. That is probably do-able from a southern MKE suburb if it isn't rush hour in Chicago (so from roughly 1am to 4am :D) but could definitely be an issue during peak traffic times.

Is there any "leniency" on the 2-hour report time if traffic (or the like) causes a late report?

I presume that worst case, this would be a temporary problem until becoming a hard line holder but please correct me if my thinking is off.

Thanks!

Stitches
08-24-2018, 04:02 AM
Two hour call outs only happen about 5% of the time. Itís quite common for guys to call in saying they are stuck in traffic. There is still an hour from report to push so as long as you arenít consistently delaying flights Iíd say you have nothing to worry about.

Icaruss
08-24-2018, 04:16 AM
When during class do you find out what bases can you bid for and when they are awarded?

Squallrider
08-24-2018, 04:48 AM
When during class do you find out what bases can you bid for and when they are awarded?

Depends on when your class starts. Youíll get a base for ioe, for consolidation and then youíre true base. I didnít find out my real base till ioe about 2 1/2 months in but I knew my ioe base and consolidation base about a month or so in

RJSAviator76
08-24-2018, 05:37 AM
You'll be in the base of your choice within your first year even if it's ATL. October vacancy shows ATL plug is a Nov 2017 hire. Next seniormost bases for newhires are DEN with the plug being a Feb 2018 hire and MCO with the plug there being a June 2018 hire.

Bear in mind, you'll spend the first 2 months in training, and you should be able to do IOE and finish out that month in the base of your choice.

flensr
08-24-2018, 02:52 PM

System bidding is actually pretty simple since there is only one aircraft type and base assignment is based on seniority.

Initial base and IOE preferences are submitted on paper about 1/3 to 1/2 through training, if I recall correctly. You can bid for any base and it was before simulator training. You'll find out your IOE base when they assign your IOE training schedule a couple of weeks before you're done. We also updated our electronic schedule preferences and system bid at the same time we submitted our paper IOE preference worksheet. The exact date in training might depend on where in the system bid timeline they are, to ensure your system bid is processed before your first line schedule bidding occurs.

IOE base is determined by a combination of your stated preferences (desired base and where you are commuting from) and check airman availability. If you have special considerations (weddings, graduations, baptism, etc) you can ask training scheduling to help out but they may not be able to accommodate your requests. If you get an IOE trip during an event that is *really* important, you can ask the training manager for intervention but it's going to have to be a really good reason. Good news, SWA actually cares enough to let its managers and chief pilots make these decisions as long as there isn't a contract issue. My class had a couple of these special circumstances and to my knowledge they were sorted out ok.

Consolidation month base is a normal bid based on pure seniority, but you get a regular line the first month to ensure you get your 100 hours quickly. Right now new hires inevitably get OAK their first month after IOE, but the most senior people in a class might only have to spend one month there depending on where everyone else is moving. After LAX grows and settles down, LAX might end up the junior base depending on if it sucks more or less than OAK for commuting to reserves there. You'll find out your base a little while before bidding opens for the next month, so your graduation date and IOE schedule will determine how quickly you get your base assignment and when you'll be able to bid for your first month's line.

It's possible that the first month's real schedule bid will occur before finishing the type rating checkride, so pay attention to the bidding timeline.

BigWillyCapt
08-24-2018, 03:36 PM
To add a bit. They will assign you 26-27 hours of IOE in the base you designate. (Usually). About 5 days of flying. Whichever month you finish IOE in you will be assigned trips in that same base to finish out the month. They have routinely put out a vacancy domocile bid once a month. So as stated above, somewhere in the latter part of training you will be eligible to bid for your true seniority base. Oakland has been the most junior historically but the vacancies have been varied recently. Houston has been pretty junior. 3-4 of my class got HOU right out of training. One got MDW. One new hire got HOU on this last bid IIRC.

ipdanno
08-24-2018, 04:11 PM
?....... Itís quite common for guys to call in saying they are stuck in traffic. There is still an hour from report to push so as long as you arenít consistently delaying flights Iíd say you have nothing to worry about.

I donít think that is safe advice to give to a potential probationary pilot. The two hour callout is to get you to the lounge (check-in) an hour before push. To check/update pubs [now EFB], and take care of any other business before your acft show 30 min before push.

In the modern EFB age, does everyone show at the lounge 60 prior to push? No, especially with telephone check-in. But if you telephone check-in, the scheduler will often ask ďAre you on property?Ē You put your career here at great risk if you do not answer truthfully. One flat tire or a stop-sign runner tagging you not yet on property will cost you dearly.

Now, yes, people can and do call in, stating Ďstuck in traffic, will not make report, but will make pushí. Scheduling will say thanks for the call, call back when on property, and have a nice day. The next thing that scheduler will probably do is generate a pull sheet report for your chief pilot. The CP will drop it in the desk. If the CP finds several pull sheets with your name on it within, say 24 months, you get a call and possibly a letter in YOUR file. That is the first step in the chain.

If you are a probationary pilot, youíre getting quarterly reviews-I think-with your chief. Any of those pull sheets with your name will generate a conversation you would prefer not to have.

2strokin
08-25-2018, 06:13 AM
I don't think Ive gotten a full two hour report yet. Last two were 0330 phone call for 0500ish report. In one case 0330 phone call for 0530 departure. I told them with my drive, etc, I can't make that. I was told do your best and SWMP was put on my board.

RJSAviator76
08-25-2018, 08:05 AM
I don't think Ive gotten a full two hour report yet. Last two were 0330 phone call for 0500ish report. In one case 0330 phone call for 0530 departure. I told them with my drive, etc, I can't make that. I was told do your best and SWMP was put on my board.

Remember, the answer is "I'll do my best" while on probation, but that under NO circumstances obligates you, nor are you responsible in any way, shape or form if that flight pushes back late.

These types of flights would normally get assigned to premium bidders until some yahoo in Scheduling decided to play the game with new guys and count on their ignorance of our contract to effectively kill premium flying.

In a nutshell... you are under no obligation to answer the Scheduling's call the day prior, nor are you under any obligation to self-acknowledge the day prior. In fact, by doing any of the above, you are grossly undercutting yourself and your fellow pilots and contributing to the erosion of our contract. Looking at the trip in CrewBuddy doesn't constitute acknowledgment, or looking at it in CWA just as long as you don't actually acknowledge it.

THE ONE AND ONLY requirement is that you answer the phone once your RAP starts. From that point, you have 2 hours to the lounge and the protocol is that we report 1 hour prior to push in our domicile. Effectively, that's 3 hours from notification to push.

Here's how I've done it on probation and even now when I pick up an AM reserve block:

I NEVER answer on my day off. They are gonna have to call me at 0330, but now I'm ready.

If they want me to cover a trip that departs at 0530, it goes something like this...

Scheds: "We have a trip on your board departing at 0530. We appreciate if you can make it."

Me: "I need two hours, but I'll do my best."

Scheds: "We'll put SWMP and close-in parking authorized on your board. Thank you for your help."

Me: "Sure thing...." Their choice...

Now... I don't show up at the lounge (not gate) until 0530 at which point, I update my EFB, read and acknowledge my RBF's and check my box. At this point, I show up at the gate at 0545 and say hello to Ops Agent. The flight is already 15 minutes late pushing back, but remember, that was Scheduling's choice. I'll do my walkaround and get my preflight duties completed. Remember, they aren't allowed to board on the originators unless both pilots are present. If you show up and the flight is boarded, someone broke the rules and you may want to fill out an ASAP.

So now, assuming everything has gone perfect and the boarding went expeditiously, you are pushing back 45 minutes late from the scheduled time, but 15 minutes early based on your contractual requirements. You smell like roses.

The best part? It's all Scheduling's fault. If they wanted this flight to push on time, they should have assigned it to a premium bidder who would be under normal obligation to show up 1 hour prior to push and thereby ensuring an on-time departure. Nobody can say anything to you, nor will you ever be blamed for late push regardless if you're on probation or not. And again, don't feel bad... remember, there are usually premium bidders for that trip that Scheduling chose to ignore to assign it to you in hopes you either don't know your contract, or that being a new guy, you will willfully disregard it to be a 'team player.'

Someone from higher up will see these originators pushing late and they'll start asking why Scheduling would choose to not award them at premium to ensure that the rest of the day isn't delayed because it's literally peanuts in the grand scheme of things, but to the pilot group, it means a lot.

Alegendinmyownm
08-25-2018, 09:24 AM
Remember, the answer is "I'll do my best" while on probation, but that under NO circumstances obligates you, nor are you responsible in any way, shape or form if that flight pushes back late.

These types of flights would normally get assigned to premium bidders until some yahoo in Scheduling decided to play the game with new guys and count on their ignorance of our contract to effectively kill premium flying.

In a nutshell... you are under no obligation to answer the Scheduling's call the day prior, nor are you under any obligation to self-acknowledge the day prior. In fact, by doing any of the above, you are grossly undercutting yourself and your fellow pilots and contributing to the erosion of our contract. Looking at the trip in CrewBuddy doesn't constitute acknowledgment, or looking at it in CWA just as long as you don't actually acknowledge it.

THE ONE AND ONLY requirement is that you answer the phone once your RAP starts. From that point, you have 2 hours to the lounge and the protocol is that we report 1 hour prior to push in our domicile. Effectively, that's 3 hours from notification to push.

Here's how I've done it on probation and even now when I pick up an AM reserve block:

I NEVER answer on my day off. They are gonna have to call me at 0330, but now I'm ready.

If they want me to cover a trip that departs at 0530, it goes something like this...

Scheds: "We have a trip on your board departing at 0530. We appreciate if you can make it."

Me: "I need two hours, but I'll do my best."

Scheds: "We'll put SWMP and close-in parking authorized on your board. Thank you for your help."

Me: "Sure thing...." Their choice...

Now... I don't show up at the lounge (not gate) until 0530 at which point, I update my EFB, read and acknowledge my RBF's and check my box. At this point, I show up at the gate at 0545 and say hello to Ops Agent. The flight is already 15 minutes late pushing back, but remember, that was Scheduling's choice. I'll do my walkaround and get my preflight duties completed. Remember, they aren't allowed to board on the originators unless both pilots are present. If you show up and the flight is boarded, someone broke the rules and you may want to fill out an ASAP.

So now, assuming everything has gone perfect and the boarding went expeditiously, you are pushing back 45 minutes late from the scheduled time, but 15 minutes early based on your contractual requirements. You smell like roses.

The best part? It's all Scheduling's fault. If they wanted this flight to push on time, they should have assigned it to a premium bidder who would be under normal obligation to show up 1 hour prior to push and thereby ensuring an on-time departure. Nobody can say anything to you, nor will you ever be blamed for late push regardless if you're on probation or not. And again, don't feel bad... remember, there are usually premium bidders for that trip that Scheduling chose to ignore to assign it to you in hopes you either don't know your contract, or that being a new guy, you will willfully disregard it to be a 'team player.'

Someone from higher up will see these originators pushing late and they'll start asking why Scheduling would choose to not award them at premium to ensure that the rest of the day isn't delayed because it's literally peanuts in the grand scheme of things, but to the pilot group, it means a lot.

Thatís good info. Thanks for sharing!!

e6bpilot
08-25-2018, 09:33 AM
I donít think that is safe advice to give to a potential probationary pilot. The two hour callout is to get you to the lounge (check-in) an hour before push. To check/update pubs [now EFB], and take care of any other business before your acft show 30 min before push.

In the modern EFB age, does everyone show at the lounge 60 prior to push? No, especially with telephone check-in. But if you telephone check-in, the scheduler will often ask ďAre you on property?Ē You put your career here at great risk if you do not answer truthfully. One flat tire or a stop-sign runner tagging you not yet on property will cost you dearly.

Now, yes, people can and do call in, stating Ďstuck in traffic, will not make report, but will make pushí. Scheduling will say thanks for the call, call back when on property, and have a nice day. The next thing that scheduler will probably do is generate a pull sheet report for your chief pilot. The CP will drop it in the desk. If the CP finds several pull sheets with your name on it within, say 24 months, you get a call and possibly a letter in YOUR file. That is the first step in the chain.

If you are a probationary pilot, youíre getting quarterly reviews-I think-with your chief. Any of those pull sheets with your name will generate a conversation you would prefer not to have.

No chance you are getting a pull sheet unless you delay a flight and you are at fault. Schedulers care about one thing - getting a warm body in a seat. I have had several instances on and off probation of things delaying me. I have forgotten items at my crash pad, missed commute flights due to time mismanagement, etc. Never had a pull sheet. Not one. As long as you call them with a viable plan or excuse, you are good. You can also just text the captain and have him cover for you if it is a few minutes and you need to grab food, etc.
Two hours from where you are to the lounge (report) in zero traffic. You can call once on airport property. I have no idea where airport property starts, but I am smart enough to know that if I am the a hole that screws up this good deal for everyone, I am going to have a target on my back for a long time.
Being a HOU pilot, traffic is always a concern. Guys are late on a two hour call for traffic all the time. Just give them your best estimate and update them. They will understand and will work with you.

Ivana Humpalot
08-25-2018, 09:40 AM
RJSAviator76, You're quite the company man. Sure, you do it by the letter of the contract. But what about the passengers? Because of your letter of the law, you inconvenienced so many people. Who signs your check every month.
I would bust my butt to get to the airport as fast as I could. I once flew a trip in civvies just to get an on time push. At one time you would have done anything to get the job. Now that you have it, screw the company.

Psycho18th
08-25-2018, 10:11 AM
Thatís a tough spot and Iíve been there a lot. If you follow the contract and the flight is late, youíre screwing a bunch of passengers, and even more the rest of the crew who might be trying to make commutes, have a decently long overnight, etc. On the other hand, by covering for scheduling, you are screwing your fellow pilots who should have had that trip at premium.

RJSAviator76
08-25-2018, 10:15 AM
RJSAviator76, You're quite the company man. Sure, you do it by the letter of the contract. But what about the passengers? Because of your letter of the law, you inconvenienced so many people. Who signs your check every month.
I would bust my butt to get to the airport as fast as I could. I once flew a trip in civvies just to get an on time push. At one time you would have done anything to get the job. Now that you have it, screw the company.

I didnít inconvenience them. I wasnít the one who chose to roll the dice with reserves as opposed to assigning the trip at premium.

flensr
08-25-2018, 10:36 AM

Don't displace responsibility away from the people who have both the responsibility and authority to get those flights off the ground on time. Your argument is a slippery slope that leads to blaming the pilot group for every single thing that could possibly go wrong, simply because if we acted outside the contract we *might* have been able to make up for someone else's deliberate choice to put the company at risk.

Don't go there. This is a line that can't be casually crossed with a flippant scornful lecture about how people could go outside the contract to fix problems caused by the people with the actual authority and responsibility to prevent them in the first place. That leads to all sorts of idiotic finger pointing, hurts our day to day operatoins, and makes the next contract harder to negotiate, not easier.

That said, effort level is always a personal decision and I think most of us will hustle when necessary to keep the operation going smoothly. That's completely different from trying to shame a pilot into going outside the contract to fix a problem that was knowingly caused by scheduling.

e6bpilot
08-25-2018, 11:24 AM
I didnít inconvenience them. I wasnít the one who chose to roll the dice with reserves as opposed to assigning the trip at premium.

Ding ding ding. Exactly.
There is so much wrong Ivanas reply above, I donít know where to start. Every time we allow them to violate our contract, we enable them to push even further in the name of not paying someone a little bit more. They already knowingly take advantage of new guys on reserve, I am taking my time and doing it safely and by the book. I am not responding to a false sense of urgency placed on me by an external source.

RJSAviator76
08-25-2018, 12:29 PM
He's trolling, and we bit.

e6bpilot
08-25-2018, 01:15 PM
He's trolling, and we bit.

Now that I read it that way, it does seem pretty funny.

Proximity
08-26-2018, 01:12 AM
It shouldn't fall to a junior, and usually probationary First Officer to make the trains run on time. This is a billion dollar corporation being cheap by both not awarding trips to premium bidders and refusing to adjust the RAP times to more accurately reflect the schedule. Both would cost $$$.

I stopped "helping out" when I see short-call trips get awarded to me as a reserve the day before with 20+ premium bids. I'll be at the gate 2:30 after they call me. And if Capt 1600 Sick Trips is standing there with the release wanting me to sign so he can "drop the brakes" I'll set them straight pretty quickly. The company has shown that they don't care about the passengers or about an on-time departure, so I no longer feel the need to rush myself.

WHACKMASTER
08-26-2018, 05:56 AM

BU!!$i7 !!!! Crew scheduling is the problem and their constant attempt to run the operation on a shoestring. YOU are also the problem because you assist them in doing just that. I repeat....YOU are also the problem.

Think about how much further along our profession would be if all of us conducted ourselves like RJS and followed the damned contract.

The scheduling and premium pay manipulation/shenanigans at this airline are ridiculous and pilots need to start following the contract to put an end to it as much as possible.

DaveF
08-26-2018, 10:00 AM
I thought this post was about base assignments lol!

I have an October 16th class date and was wondering what the latest new hire base assignments were looking like? How long to hold Dallas is another question in my mind?
Also any guesses on when and if SWA will make STL a base? Thanks for your educated guesstimates your opinions are much appreciate!

e6bpilot
08-26-2018, 10:27 AM
I thought this post was about base assignments lol!

I have an October 16th class date and was wondering what the latest new hire base assignments were looking like? How long to hold Dallas is another question in my mind?

Also any guesses on when and if SWA will make STL a base? Thanks for your educated guesstimates your opinions are much appreciate!

OAK with a smattering of other bases. Wintertime my best guess would be some PHX, LAS, maybe BWI and HOU.
3-4 months to hold Dallas depending on growth. It shrank in October by a few and the junior guy to get in that month was over 4 years on property. Ask me how I know.
Probably never on STL.
LAX is opening up about the time you hit the line. After the first couple of months, they are going to be drafting new hires there. That is going to change things up.

Icaruss
08-26-2018, 11:50 AM
OAK with a smattering of other bases. Wintertime my best guess would be some PHX, LAS, maybe BWI and HOU.
3-4 months to hold Dallas depending on growth. It shrank in October by a few and the junior guy to get in that month was over 4 years on property. Ask me how I know.
Probably never on STL.
LAX is opening up about the time you hit the line. After the first couple of months, they are going to be drafting new hires there. That is going to change things up.

The junior guy in DAL has been in SWA for 4 yr?

e6bpilot
08-26-2018, 01:22 PM
No, the junior awardee in October was hired in 2014. The junior dallas pilot has been on property less than 6 months.
It will go junior again, probably to 3 or 4 months like in the past. SWA does seasonal adjustments to flying in different bases monthly. The central bases generally donít feel too much of that, but Dallas shrunk slightly in October. Where you normally really see it is Orlando and the west bases.

DaveF
08-26-2018, 03:51 PM
Probably never on STL.

Thatís not the answer or rumor I was looking for please rephrase lol!

WHACKMASTER
08-26-2018, 03:54 PM
Thatís not the answer or rumor I was looking for please rephrase lol!

Weíre growing like a weed in STL and have a big operation there. Itíll happen but no one knows when.

ZapBrannigan
08-26-2018, 03:55 PM
Hopefully they start running some big upgrade classes when LAX opens. A rising tide lifts all ships.

DaveF
08-26-2018, 04:08 PM
Weíre growing like a weed in STL and have a big operation there. Itíll happen but no one knows when.

Thanks Whack thatís more like it!!!

MatthewAMEL
08-26-2018, 05:29 PM

Did you get the civvies exemption in writing from the CP?

Since being in uniform is part of the FOM...

Fleet Warp
08-26-2018, 05:34 PM
Did you get the civvies exemption in writing from the CP?

Since being in uniform is part of the FOM...

Probably is a CP

MountainWaves
08-26-2018, 06:41 PM

18 gates and counting in STL.That's same as ATL & DAL isn't it?

hoover
08-26-2018, 06:50 PM
Two vans of crews going to airport for originators in the morning. Big time overnights .

As far as reserve and two hr call out. When I've done am reserve I'll get called or scheduled with less than a two hr push time once a month . Always same answer , I'll do my best and enjoy that close up parking . So being more than two hrs out on reserve is a gamble as it will happen at some point.

DaveF
08-26-2018, 07:06 PM
18 gates and counting in STL.That's same as ATL & DAL isn't it?

Rocky mentioned at the June job fair the flight attendants have a virtual base in Austin and that itís going well. Any chance of virtual bases crossing over to the pilots?

WHACKMASTER
08-26-2018, 07:45 PM
Rocky mentioned at the June job fair the flight attendants have a virtual base in Austin and that itís going well. Any chance of virtual bases crossing over to the pilots?

Letís hope not!

WHACKMASTER
08-26-2018, 07:49 PM
Hopefully they start running some big upgrade classes when LAX opens. A rising tide lifts all ships.

They need to run upgrades just based on how lopsided staffing is between the two seats. Hell, this summer FOs had less than half the available trips in ELITT than Cptns.

ipdanno
08-27-2018, 06:18 AM

That would relieve some of the volume-based problems through MDW. But only after I upgrade! 😉

e6bpilot
08-27-2018, 07:45 AM
I just donít see it until pilots have satellite bases (that, I believe is coming). I am honestly surprised they havenít opened a FA satellite base there. The whole operation there is run like a base, and it has to be our biggest mega station that isnít a domicile. It is the heart of our Midwest hub and spoke (sorry, intentional connection opportunities) operation since there is very little OE traffic there.
I can guarantee you that our hotel costs are much higher in BNA (currently the most expensive hotel market in the country, higher than New York or Boston) and yet we havenít opened up anything there.
LA made a lot of sense if you look towards the future. All our growth is in the south and west directions right now. Hotel costs are sky high there too and there is some break even point where staffing a crew base is cheaper than paying those costs in perpetuity. I just donít know if STL fits that bill.

ZapBrannigan
08-27-2018, 08:51 AM
I guess in the age of the iPad EFB I just donít understand why there is ANY Ďcostí associated with opening a satellite crew base. You donít really need a lounge or mailboxes. Just flip the switch and start writing pairings from STL or BNA.

Administrative support provided by the MDW chief pilots office.

Easy peasy. The only people hurt by it are pilots who live in other domiciles that are downsized to build those satellite pairings and suffer the resultant loss of flexibility and open time flying opportunities.

MudhammedCJ
08-27-2018, 02:05 PM
I guess in the age of the iPad EFB I just donít understand why there is ANY Ďcostí associated with opening a satellite crew base. You donít really need a lounge or mailboxes. Just flip the switch and start writing pairings from STL or BNA.

Administrative support provided by the MDW chief pilots office.

Easy peasy. The only people hurt by it are pilots who live in other domiciles that are downsized to build those satellite pairings and suffer the resultant loss of flexibility and open time flying opportunities.

Not so easy peasy for those guys that have a lot less pairings to choose from in the base that they moved to. With that said, I'd like to see some - maybe.

RckyMtHigh
08-28-2018, 06:57 AM
Didn't SWAPA poll on satellite bases? I thought the result was not enough pilot interest to pursue? I'd be willing to consider it despite living in base with no plans to move.

e6bpilot
08-28-2018, 07:19 AM
I missed that poll if it happened. It may have happened under the old SWAPA 1.0 super secret ďSadaam yes or noĒ polling system that they used to decide on vacation bidding in 2014.
In the last few years the company has tilted to over 50 percent commuters which tells me that a lot of folks would be interested if the terms were sufficient.
Of course this would be a highly divisive issue. I commute and as it stands now, I would be against it. Too much to lose and very little to be gained.

Stitches
08-28-2018, 08:58 AM
The satellite base poll was a question in one of the recent contract surveys, within the last year.

It is a divisive issue and there was not enough membership support. Sure the guys in BNA, TPA, STL like the idea in theory. But thatís only a portion of the overall commuter demographic. The rest of the commuters (and everyone else living in a domicile) will see a reduction in lines and thereís no guarantee that the lines in the satellite base will be diverse and desirable enough for the locals to bid.

MG386
08-28-2018, 09:07 AM
Not only would pairings in base suffer, but the satellite base trips would also be of limited choice and flexibility. Probably even worse.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ZapBrannigan
08-28-2018, 10:31 AM
Iíd much rather see some commutable lines than satellite bases. 50% of the pilots commute and there arenít any entirely commutable lines? Absurd!

Would they be less efficient? Yes. Would they pay less? Probably so. Would they PM turn AM? Yup.

When I commuted would I have bid them anyway? You better believe it!

EVERY other airline provides some options for commuters to bid. I think we should too.

e6bpilot
08-28-2018, 10:54 AM
Zap, we have some. I flew commutable trips the whole month of August and almost the whole month of July. They are becoming more prevalent, but still rare.
I also agree that a wide variety of lines in each crew base would be preferable to a satellite domicile. I know a lot of guys complain about late AM check in turned early PM release, but those are what I seek out. I enjoy my overnights, but only because I am stuck there alone. I would much rather be making money or at home.
Of course, in 10 years from now that may not be the case.

ZapBrannigan
08-28-2018, 11:23 AM
Iím not talking individual commutable pairings E6B. Iím talking about full lines that were constructed solely with commutable pairings.

e6bpilot
08-28-2018, 11:33 AM
Iím not talking individual commutable pairings E6B. Iím talking about full lines that were constructed solely with commutable pairings.

Oh yeah. You are correct. Those do not exist. I have to cobble my flying together from a combination of my original line, ELITT, and open time. It is a pain. I am just not a fly my line kind of guy and wonít be until my kids are done with college.
Commutability is the single most important thing I look for in a trip. In fact, I switched to Dallas and took a seniority hit in October because they jacked around with the flights to my commuter city. I plan on driving when I canít fly both ends of my pairing. I hate hate hate staying in a hotel when I could be at home. It drives me insane.

RJSAviator76
08-28-2018, 02:56 PM
Oh yeah. You are correct. Those do not exist. I have to cobble my flying together from a combination of my original line, ELITT, and open time. It is a pain. I am just not a fly my line kind of guy and wonít be until my kids are done with college.
Commutability is the single most important thing I look for in a trip. In fact, I switched to Dallas and took a seniority hit in October because they jacked around with the flights to my commuter city. I plan on driving when I canít fly both ends of my pairing. I hate hate hate staying in a hotel when I could be at home. It drives me insane.

Have you looked into owning a small plane? I hear there are quite a few guys in DAL who commute on their own planes. I ran into a few in MDW too.

ZapBrannigan
08-28-2018, 03:37 PM
Iím a copilot. I canít afford an airplane. I can barely afford a used Subaru.

e6bpilot
08-28-2018, 08:09 PM
Have you looked into owning a small plane? I hear there are quite a few guys in DAL who commute on their own planes. I ran into a few in MDW too.

Just four more payments and my 2004 Pontiac Aztec will be all mine.

Proximity
08-29-2018, 11:16 AM
Iím a copilot. I canít afford an airplane. I can barely afford a used Subaru.

I just nod my head when a cappy explains how his airplane gets better fuel economy then his GMC 3500 and that's how anyone can afford to use an airplane to commute to work.

My Toyota hybrid just needs to hang in there until I upgrade...

RJSAviator76
08-29-2018, 11:56 AM
Actually, an RV-6 will burn less than an F-150, and a nice one will cost about as much as a brand new Lariat. But unlike the Lariat, it wonít lose value the second you fly it home.

Proximity
08-29-2018, 05:16 PM
Actually, an RV-6 will burn less than an F-150, and a nice one will cost about as much as a brand new Lariat. But unlike the Lariat, it wonít lose value the second you fly it home.

I also own an F-150, and have deemed it too expensive to drive to work, as an FO. :)

holygrail
08-30-2018, 09:07 AM
Newbies working weekends? Holidays?

As a newbie can I drop reserve days? Pick stuff up?

at6d
08-30-2018, 09:29 AM

You canít drop anything. You can only trade or give away.

You can trade with other pilots I.e swap reserve for a trip (which you can then trade with the company for other trips).

You can always pick up stuff as long as you meet limits.

flensr
08-30-2018, 12:00 PM

Yes to working weekends and holidays, because newbie. That said, it will depend on what base you're in and what season. In the summer, reserves get used a lot so the reserves go to junior pilots. The bottom of the seniority list can expect to sit reserve friday - monday the whole month, and only rarely get someone to trade their weekend line for your weekend reserve (it happens, just not all the time). In off seasons when reserves won't get called as often and in some bases where there seem to be lots of reserve availabililty and therefore less callouts, more senior pilots will bid reserve. But again, you'll still see weekend reserves go to the bottom of the seniority list.

Picking up out of open time is fairly easy, and there are a few ways to trade actual trips. Open time pickup is seniority based but first year pilots have a small advantage in that they can bid for open time trips at straight pay, and get paid second year rate. Straight pay bids have priority over premium open time bids, and some trips are great at premium rate but not so good at straight pay, so most pilots won't bid on those at straight pay. So a first year guy can pick those up reasonably easily.

Also, a handful of trips in open time have deadhead legs that might be to or from a place that is more convenient to you, so you can sometimes pick up a trip that deadheads from another domicile to an airport near you, or which ends in an overnight and a deadhead the next day. With those trips, you can sometimes call to get released from the deadheads and get paid for a 2-day trip where you actually only fly one or two legs before jumpseating home. The risk there is that the company can change up the trip once you're on it and that might kill off the good deal part, but sometimes you can get a whole lot of pay for one leg too. My best so far was about 10 TFP pay for a single leg, because to be a legal trip it required a deadhead from a domicile to begin and an overnight hotel stay before the DH back to domicile. I flew the leg, sat in the hotel 3 hours, and took an early jumpseat back home. 10 TFP at second year pay rate for about 7 hours time away from home, not too bad for a new guy.

I guess the simple answer is that SWA scheduling rules and current contract make it easy to fly more and hard to fly less. For a new guy trying to pick up extra, one of the biggest barriers is hitting maximum block limits because future reserve periods are counted as 6 hours block per day, and a reserve block usually gets you 96 TFP for the month up front. So it's hard to add to that if you're not careful managing block time. Picking up good short trips is sometimes a better idea than grabbing long trips even when the long trip pays well, because the extra block time in that long trip can prevent you from picking up anything at all for a while.

holygrail
08-30-2018, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the reply.....if Iím on reserve, can I pick up straight time trips that are not on my assigned reserve days and negate those reserve days?

Can I bid open time out of domicile and commute to those trips?

How long can I expect to be on reserve given the current environment?

I assume that I cannot drop reserve days into open time?

CA1900
08-30-2018, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the reply.....if I’m on reserve, can I pick up straight time trips that are not on my assigned reserve days and negate those reserve days?

Not sure what you mean by "negate," but yes, you can pick up trips on your day off as long as you don't exceed legalities and buffer limits.

Can I bid open time out of domicile and commute to those trips?

Yes, absolutely, but keep in mind you'll be behind people in that domicile if they bid for the same trip.

How long can I expect to be on reserve given the current environment?

Varies based on domicile. OAK or LAS, probably just a few months. MCO, I'd guess at least a year. ATL probably longer.

I assume that I cannot drop reserve days into open time?

Correct. The only way to get rid of reserve is to get another pilot to pick it up in the trip trade/give away system. Same with regular trips, for that matter. We don't have an provision to just drop trips. You can only exchange them with the company for unassigned trips (this doesn't apply to reserve days), or put them out for other pilots to hopefully take.

BigWillyCapt
08-30-2018, 02:03 PM

My experience so far. I am based in HOU. For September (My first month of true seniority bidding in my base), I was 3 from the bottom of the FO list. I got a PM reserve line with 3 3-day reserve stints, Th-Sat, and 1 four day stint Th-Sun.

You can only give reserve days away to other pilots willing to pick them up or trade with those same pilots for a trip. I put all my reserve blocks in Give-Away and 1 got taken by another pilot so now I have the last 8 days of the month off. I can pick up a trip from another pilot, or something from open time. I traded the 4 day sequence with another pilot for his 4 day trip. I then traded that trip with the company for a better paying, 4 day trip I liked better.

YMMV depending on base and season as mentioned by others. For October I have 32 (i think) guys below me in HOU. I started in May of this year.

e170pilot
08-30-2018, 03:38 PM
How many FOs are there in Houston?

e6bpilot
08-30-2018, 03:43 PM

516 and growing. The lounge was designed when there were 500 total pilots in Houston including captains. Itís getting kinda tight in there.

BigWillyCapt
08-30-2018, 04:21 PM
516 According to the last vacancy award. I believe for schedule bidding it was around 480sh.

Proximity
08-30-2018, 04:37 PM
For a new guy trying to pick up extra, one of the biggest barriers is hitting maximum block limits because future reserve periods are counted as 6 hours block per day, and a reserve block usually gets you 96 TFP for the month up front.

Good info...one thing, reserve future block liability is 5 hours per day for blocks 3 days or less, 4 hours per day for blocks 4 days or more. If it's the beginning of the month and you have mostly 3 day blocks, picking up can be an issue.

Also, you can bid straight, but I'm seeing lots of straight bids by senior FOs on stuff that would never go straight a before last fall, especially on weekdays when jr FOs will have days off. I wouldn't count on any open time as a new hire during the off-peak season until the imbalance of Capt/FO is corrected. That way you won't be disappointed.

Good news is that a typical reserve pilot makes 10-20 tfp over their line value if they choose to fly.

03sport007
08-31-2018, 08:49 AM
A while back I saw a map of where people from different bases actually lived. I canít find again. Does anybody have it?

Thanks!!

fenix1
10-10-2018, 01:13 AM
Crystal ball time, but whatís the most likely intermediate-to-long term outlook for DEN? (Growth? Contraction? TBD based on UA, F9 & many other factors?)

Are there any significant issues in commuting from DEN while a junior FO? (Looks like DEN would set up pretty well to most bases at a glance.)

For CAís, how senior is DEN currently?

Thanks much to anyone good enough to help.

e6bpilot
10-10-2018, 04:58 AM
Crystal ball time, but whatís the most likely intermediate-to-long term outlook for DEN? (Growth? Contraction? TBD based on UA, F9 & many other factors?)

Are there any significant issues in commuting from DEN while a junior FO? (Looks like DEN would set up pretty well to most bases at a glance.)

For CAís, how senior is DEN currently?

Thanks much to anyone good enough to help.

Mid Junior for captains. Juniorish for FOs. Maybe 5 months to hold.
Nothing but growth in the outlook. Sucks as a commuter base due to hotel transportation and train ride to/from terminals. May take an hour and a half to get to hotel. Other than that, the flight situation is good since pretty much all carriers fly there.
The crew lounge is like the Centurion Club of Crew lounges. Itís really nice.

hoover
10-10-2018, 12:01 PM
Den is a good base that has room to grow. I think we're just shy of 1000 pilots and they want to have 1200+ within a few yrs. Most people based at den live in the area. Commuting out wouldn't be a big deal until you could hold den but that won't take long. Cpt side is juniorish but like I said most live there so who know what will happen in the future.

Botched
10-10-2018, 02:00 PM
14 more gates coming to a SWA DEN C concourse. This could be the biggest base someday.