Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Turbosina
11-07-2017, 10:09 PM
Next month I'm hoping to do an HNL-LIH roundtrip in a Hawaiian or Island Air jumpseat. I've J/S'd to and from HNL and OGG from the mainland with no issues, but haven't ever tried inter-island jumpseating. Any tips would be much appreciated...

Moonwolf
11-07-2017, 11:07 PM
Next month I'm hoping to do an HNL-LIH roundtrip in a Hawaiian or Island Air jumpseat. I've J/S'd to and from HNL and OGG from the mainland with no issues, but haven't ever tried inter-island jumpseating. Any tips would be much appreciated...
Use patience at the desk because gate agents are on island time. Nothing is in a hurry for them, even though there is a flight in 30 mins they will put you on the one in 1hr 40 mins away.

WillFlyForSpam
11-07-2017, 11:28 PM
Island Air usually takes very good care of jumpseaters.

full of luv
11-08-2017, 03:48 AM

Typically easier to j/s / non-rev inter island than between mainland and the islands. Many more options.

Green Squirrel
11-08-2017, 04:27 AM
Ran into this issue this past summer hopping around the islands:

You’ll need to go to a ticket counter to get on the list for the jumpseat. Simply going to the gate does not work.

So- like what others have said, this means you’ll want to show up earlier than you’ve planned for a flight.

For example- KOA-HNL. It took me all of the 1:15 prior to departure time for me to wait in line at the ticket counter to list, then wait in line to go through security, and then check in at the gate.

The issue is there are no check-in kiosks for passengers (everyone must see the ticket agent), and there are no KCM or TSA precheck lines for security. Also, nearly everyone is a tourist, so expect slow progress through the metal detector.

But, with that all said, the HAL flight and cabin crews are very nice and welcoming. Class act all the way.

navigatro
11-08-2017, 10:12 AM
just drive, it's faster.

greaser
11-08-2017, 11:51 AM
I would review the ALPA jumpseat website for current HA info. A couple things changed there recently and I'd have saved myself a bit of stress had I checked.

But the short story: HA in HNL: set up for JS airside at the customer service desk in the interisland terminal. At one of the outer island stations: ticket counter. Listing: not required but appears to be appreciated. Call Hawaiian central reservations. About what moonwolf said... if they set you up for a later flight, you can thank them and then go to the gate and try to hop on an earlier one. That usually works.

Island Air: I tried to catch a ride when it looked like I'd miss two flights in a row on HA (other pilots commuting). The agent turned me away after I showed up :35 prior and the didn't know what to do.... at :31 prior she said 'well, sorry you're too late, the deadline is :30 prior to departure' :confused: As there was no way to get the crew's attention, I hoofed it back to Hawaiian.

Pogey Bait
11-08-2017, 11:59 AM
I would review the ALPA jumpseat website for current HA info. A couple things changed there recently and I'd have saved myself a bit of stress had I checked.

But the short story: HA in HNL: set up for JS airside at the customer service desk in the interisland terminal. At one of the outer island stations: ticket counter. Listing: not required but appears to be appreciated. Call Hawaiian central reservations.

Island Air: I tried to catch a ride when it looked like I'd miss two flights in a row on HA (other pilots commuting). The agent turned me away after I showed up :35 prior and the didn't know what to do.... at :31 prior she said 'well, sorry you're too late, the deadline is :30 prior to departure' :confused: As there was no way to get the crew's attention, I hoofed it back to Hawaiian.

Perhaps some Krispy Kreme donuts could have paid for your passage......

Green Squirrel
11-08-2017, 04:39 PM

A couple of cans of SPAM would actually be better received.

NK Bumble Bee
11-08-2017, 05:49 PM
For Hawaiian make a listing on the reservations line before you go to the airport. Speeds things along nicely once you get to the desk!

Turbosina
11-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Thanks folks! Much appreciated...

sACKtis
11-09-2017, 12:45 AM
Well seeing as Island Air got their planes repossesed I think HA will be your first choice.

Yeah all those girls need is more carbs :rolleyes:

Cautious
11-09-2017, 05:03 PM
Island Air might have ceased operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShyGuy
11-09-2017, 06:01 PM
Looks like Island Air shut down. :eek:

Hawaii808
11-09-2017, 06:01 PM
Island Air might have ceased operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Island Air says it has 'exhausted all options,' will shut down
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/36809873/island-air-tells-employees-it-will-halt-service-friday

Turbosina
11-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Well that's less than awesome. I almost bought a ticket on them today for the wifey! Hawaiian it is, then...

P56C
03-11-2018, 12:56 PM
Hey guys, how about listing for JS from KOA back to the mainland? At the gate, phone call, or ticket counter landslide? Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FMGEC
03-11-2018, 05:04 PM
Hey guys, how about listing for JS from KOA back to the mainland? At the gate, phone call, or ticket counter landslide? Thank you!

KOA on HAL you must go to the ticket counter to list.
I made this mistake, and it took a lot of nice talking in order to get listed at the gate.
Give yourself significant time to wait in line with the other pax at the ticket counter. Keep in mind, there are a lot of checked luggage and zero kiosks...so there are many people waiting in line at the ticket counter.

Once on board, the HAL pilots are very accommodating.
Enjoy.

gliderpilot
03-11-2018, 06:17 PM
Phone ahead to reservations and make a "nonrev" listing (don't say "jumpseat," it confuses them.)

Take that confirmation number to the ticket counter in KOA and they'll give you a seat request card.

Get to the airport early-ish. KOA can be a bit slow getting through security etc... The HA staff are great, though!

When in doubt, bring food to bribe the appropriate folks.

badflaps
03-11-2018, 06:52 PM
Phone ahead to reservations and make a "nonrev" listing (don't say "jumpseat," it confuses them.)

Take that confirmation number to the ticket counter in KOA and they'll give you a seat request card.

Get to the airport early-ish. KOA can be a bit slow getting through security etc... The HA staff are great, though!

When in doubt, bring food to bribe the appropriate folks.

Gave that a shot, but a comfort dog ate my fried Spam.

P56C
03-13-2018, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys! Called and got a PNR for the way back from KOA. Pretty smooth, was told I was listed as OAL JS [emoji106]

And just to be sure that the ALPA JS guide is current, from the mainland to HI the agents can process the request directly at the gate, no need to stop by the ticket counter?

gliderpilot
03-13-2018, 06:52 PM
Yes. On the mainland, the gate agents will list you for the JS. The only time you have to check in with the service desk is in HNL.

As we say here in the islands, bon voyage!

P56C
03-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Mahalo nui loa iā ʻoe

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1