Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Aircraft selection/RTP

Mundergun
11-08-2017, 06:16 PM
Hello all,

how new hires are ranked when it comes to aircraft selection? Iím curious if being an RTP would have an impact. Iím in a position where i could come in as an RTP but it would only be to gain the 25 multi. I have all the other ratings/airplane time required. If there are any serious negatives to coming in RTP i could go snag the multi on my own. Also curious if thereís any particular reason that one airframe is best or better than others. Looking for ORD/DFW both are easily commutable. Thanks for any advice! Iíll be applying in the next week or so!

Tigflt17
11-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Based on age. Cadets get first pick followed by the remainder based on oldest in class.

Hello all,

how new hires are ranked when it comes to aircraft selection? Iím curious if being an RTP would have an impact. Iím in a position where i could come in as an RTP but it would only be to gain the 25 multi. I have all the other ratings/airplane time required. If there are any serious negatives to coming in RTP i could go snag the multi on my own. Also curious if thereís any particular reason that one airframe is best or better than others. Looking for ORD/DFW both are easily commutable. Thanks for any advice! Iíll be applying in the next week or so!

Whiskey4
11-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Based on age. Cadets get first pick followed by the remainder based on oldest in class.

Group 1: Cadets
Group 2: U.S.-based 121 Pilots
Group 3: All others by DOB

Pedro4President
11-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Hello all,

how new hires are ranked when it comes to aircraft selection? I’m curious if being an RTP would have an impact. I’m in a position where i could come in as an RTP but it would only be to gain the 25 multi. I have all the other ratings/airplane time required. If there are any serious negatives to coming in RTP i could go snag the multi on my own. Also curious if there’s any particular reason that one airframe is best or better than others. Looking for ORD/DFW both are easily commutable. Thanks for any advice! I’ll be applying in the next week or so!

When it comes to aircraft selection being an RTP has no impact.

Planes/base is picked by:
1. Company seniority (pipeline guys/cadets)
2. Prior 121 by time flown
3. Age

I'd go the route that will get you to Indoc fastest.

Aircraft selection: I'd go with 175 if you want ORD and the 145 if you want DFW. If you have no preference for base then I'd go with 175 ORD.

bigtime209
11-09-2017, 04:56 PM
If at all possible, go with 175 ORD. It will have the most movement and shortest RSV time due to it being a new base and future growth.

Mundergun
11-10-2017, 01:45 PM
How would 27 fit in there age wise based off the norm

WD300
11-11-2017, 08:30 AM
When it comes to aircraft selection being an RTP has no impact.

Planes/base is picked by:
1. Company seniority (pipeline guys/cadets)
2. Prior 121 by time flown
3. Age

I'd go the route that will get you to Indoc fastest.

Aircraft selection: I'd go with 175 if you want ORD and the 145 if you want DFW. If you have no preference for base then I'd go with 175 ORD.
What's the approx time to get DFW base on the 175 vs the 145?

Jamesthunder
11-12-2017, 12:39 AM

Hired in June on the 145, still waiting.

pitchattitude
11-12-2017, 08:12 AM
At this point, impossible to even guesstimate. ORD isnít even open yet for the 175, but anyone in DFW that wanted to go could have bid for it. DFW will be shrinking 175s faster than there is likely to be attrition. I wouldnít keep my hopes up. And if your thought is to upgrade, it will be even longer if you want to stay in the 175.

I know of at least one 145 April hire that was AWARDED DFW in the last bid. When the transfer will happen, not sure.

go skers
11-12-2017, 12:23 PM

May 2017 hires that got awarded DFW on the 145 are scheduled to transfer Jan 1, 2018. Eight months from hire to transfer. That's a snapshot of current events so things could change in either direction though

f16jetmech
11-12-2017, 04:07 PM
May 2017 hires that got awarded DFW on the 145 are scheduled to transfer Jan 1, 2018. Eight months from hire to transfer. That's a snapshot of current events so things could change in either direction though

Would being ORD 145 or LGA 145 change time getting back to DFW? I don't think it would, but just want to be sure before I pick on the 20th

Pedro4President
11-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Would being ORD 145 or LGA 145 change time getting back to DFW? I don't think it would, but just want to be sure before I pick on the 20th

It could actually. And it could drastically have an impact on time to DFW. However it's not set in stone and can change from season to season. I'm guessing and it's simply just a guess because I haven't looked at the numbers yet but I would say ORD may have the quicker time to DFW.

I just checked the flow plan and there isn't a distinction between the two bases. However I remember seeing LGA being held back a bit when LGA was growing and we were TDYing to LGA.

f16jetmech
11-12-2017, 05:19 PM
It could actually. And it could drastically have an impact on time to DFW. However it's not set in stone and can change from season to season. I'm guessing and it's simply just a guess because I haven't looked at the numbers yet but I would say ORD may have the quicker time to DFW.

I just checked the flow plan and there isn't a distinction between the two bases. However I remember seeing LGA being held back a bit when LGA was growing and we were TDYing to LGA.

Cool thanks for your input. Would you say its an easier commute from DFW to ORD rather than LGA? I figured it would be since its a shorter flight, and its not LGA :)

Pedro4President
11-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Cool thanks for your input. Would you say its an easier commute from DFW to ORD rather than LGA? I figured it would be since its a shorter flight, and its not LGA :)

ORD Is in my opinion a better choice than LGA. Since NY is codomiciled meaning you have to cover LGA and JFK then I think ORD is easier. However I think one could make a case for NY. Proffer Airport ready in JFK on your last day then you get to go home by 1.

Airbus is running the LGA dfw route so two jump seats. I remember commuting to ORD via dfw and it took me several attempts to get home most times.

go skers
11-12-2017, 06:50 PM

Neither are great but I'd take ORD. Cheaper hotels and crash pads if you run out of commuter rooms, same time zone on a shorter flight with more connecting options for 2 legging it if needed (DFW-XNA-ORD, DFW-SGF-ORD etc) and you only have to cover one airport.

f16jetmech
11-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Thanks guys... all good stuff.

ORD 145 it is.... assuming i dont get stuck on a CRJ. Love the CRJ but being stuck in ORD living in DFW would be less than desirable.

Mundergun
11-13-2017, 03:40 PM
All I know for sure is I live and do national guard flying out of SGF and from what I see commuting to ORD or DFW should be relatively easy. Hoping to not get stuck going to LGA. And seeing as how there is an Envoy maintenance hangar here I would like whatever is most likely to have overnights at SGF whether itís for maintence or not... overnights at home would be a huge plus. Anyone with experience have any input in regards to getting overnights at SGF?