Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : USMC Pilot Bonus Official

Homeshopper
11-11-2017, 06:39 AM
Looks like they are cutting out the 14+ Active duty guys because they : have us by the....." according to one USMC General talking to congress back in May.

FY18 AVIATION BONUS (AVB) > The Official United States Marine Corps Public Website > Messages Display (http://www.marines.mil/News/Messages/Messages-Display/Article/1363689/fy18-aviation-bonus-avb/)

rickair7777
11-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Years ago, 15+ year people left for airlines... even some at 18.

Might see that again. You can still get credit for those years in the reserve, just need to wait until age 60. As a legacy CA making $300k+, you'll hardly notice the delay.

BigIron
11-11-2017, 04:25 PM
No love for us tail rotor types...

Itíll be interesting to see what happens in the coming years, there are a lot of rotary-wing pilots making their exit plans in the USMC.

USMCFLYR
11-11-2017, 06:45 PM
At least back in the day - the turning point was 18 years it was said.

waterboy
11-15-2017, 10:29 PM
Years ago, 15+ year people left for airlines... even some at 18.

Might see that again. You can still get credit for those years in the reserve, just need to wait until age 60. As a legacy CA making $300k+, you'll hardly notice the delay.

Once you have a cumilative of 20 years you can pull an active duty requirement. Meaning, if you do 18 active, then go reserves, you can start collecting after you put in 2 years worth of orders. You wont have to wait until 60.

Also, I know in the guard/reserves, for every 90 days you serve overseas, you get to start collecting 90 days early.

rickair7777
11-16-2017, 04:36 AM
Once you have a cumilative of 20 years you can pull an active duty requirement. Meaning, if you do 18 active, then go reserves, you can start collecting after you put in 2 years worth of orders. You wont have to wait until 60.

Also, I know in the guard/reserves, for every 90 days you serve overseas, you get to start collecting 90 days early.

If you reach sanctuary and resign from AD, the navy reserve would not accept you.

Maybe you can, but I can't. The navy will more mountains to keep people from doing that. They won't let you get anywhere near 18. Only exceptions I ever saw involved direct intervention from four stars, for guys who were already on orders in a key staff position.

Not sure what usmc policy is.

UAL T38 Phlyer
11-16-2017, 05:20 AM
If you reach sanctuary and resign from AD, the navy reserve would not accept you.

Maybe you can, but I can't. The navy will move mountains to keep people from doing that. They won't let you get anywhere near 18. Only exceptions I ever saw involved direct intervention from four stars, for guys who were already on orders in a key staff position.

Air Force Reserve same. Almost impossible to get hired into a unit with more than 14-15 years; and once you hit sanctuary, they make you sign a "I will not claim sanctuary" form before they would issue any monthly MP/AT orders.

Exceptions for length of service: Chaplains, and Flight Surgeons.....apparently even tougher to find than pilots.

BFMthisA10
11-16-2017, 05:35 AM
Retireó>rehire to TR is becoming more prevalent, to include go-do memos from SAF and a how-to ppt from AFRC.
It would be really interesting if a guy with 18.1 years canít get hired but a guy with 20 years can.

Vincent Chase
11-16-2017, 07:49 AM
Retireó>rehire to TR is becoming more prevalent, to include go-do memos from SAF and a how-to ppt from AFRC.
It would be really interesting if a guy with 18.1 years canít get hired but a guy with 20 years can.
But if you're retired to rehired, you forego the retirement until you re-retire from the reserves, yes?

BFM this for me, bro!

BFMthisA10
11-17-2017, 02:42 AM
If you work a day, you ďloseĒ a day of retirement pay, but get your TR pay. Drill + 4 ATPs in a month would lower your monthly retirement check by 6 days (or 4 at 2 ATPs per day).
Same for orders; your retirement pay stops while youíre getting paid. After that, as itís been explained, you continue to accrue retirement points; reserve points will kick in at 60, while active duty points will pile onto your current retirement as you earn them.

hindsight2020
11-17-2017, 10:00 PM

Maybe you can, but I can't. The navy will more mountains to keep people from doing that. They won't let you get anywhere near 18. Only exceptions I ever saw involved direct intervention from four stars, for guys who were already on orders in a key staff position.

Ah yes, the ol' Navy Reserve. And I thought Active Duty was tone deaf. 20 points down and doing "run the clock offense" with that individual invol MOB business? LOL Let them eat cake. They're getting their lunch eaten by the ANG/AFRC. For the record, such AD time hiring constraint is not currently the case in the AFRC, not even close. The "but you get to fly a hornet some of the time" canard is no longer enough these days...

hindsight2020
11-17-2017, 10:10 PM
Air Force Reserve same. Almost impossible to get hired into a unit with more than 14-15 years; and once you hit sanctuary, they make you sign a "I will not claim sanctuary" form before they would issue any monthly MP/AT orders.

Exceptions for length of service: Chaplains, and Flight Surgeons.....apparently even tougher to find than pilots.

Sanctuary waivers are a non-issue these days. People are getting to the finish line regardless. And the hiring info is not accurate. We've hired 18-19 year guys, 14-17 year guys in earnest in the last 12-18 months, and they keep coming (sts). Not to mention our TR/AGR guys we have who have cherry picked their VLPAD assignment BACK on AD mind you, custom made contract right into an active duty retirement...

For as long as this hiring wave persists, such will be the dynamics of military flying staffing in the Reserves. DOD got their 12 years of seller's market out of us with that whole lost decade business, it's time to get some driver seat time now. The landscape has changed, gentlemen.