Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : I Quit SWA FB Group

Sunfish FAIP
11-12-2017, 09:20 AM
How many folks here know about the hidden FB group “I quit SWA”? I’m coming up on submitting my 2 week notification to go to a legacy carrier and was surprised to know about this group and knowing I’m not the only one trying to get out.

e6bpilot
11-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Itís pretty dead these days. I️ was considering leaving for a while and joined. It had some life to it during contract negotiations and some useful info but you can get better and more up to date info elsewhere.

Typhoondiver
11-12-2017, 10:08 AM
How many folks here know about the hidden FB group ďI quit SWAĒ? Iím coming up on submitting my 2 week notification to go to a legacy carrier and was surprised to know about this group and knowing Iím not the only one trying to get out.

The union e-mails and a recent company info exactly spelled out the numbers of people leaving. So it is no secret that some people are leaving. Everybody has different priorities in life, which is good. It would not be helpful if everybody wanted to work for SWA.

at6d
11-13-2017, 04:44 AM
How many have left in the last two years? Iím not leaving, but curious.

flyguy81
11-13-2017, 05:07 AM

150ish I think

flyguy81
11-13-2017, 05:07 AM

150ish I think....hope most are sr to me

ShyGuy
11-13-2017, 05:58 AM
Whatís the seniority like for those leaving? 150 total, like 1 yr guys? 2 yrs? 3? More?

ground stop
11-13-2017, 06:03 AM
Union guy said 39 left this year prior to completing probation.

WHACKMASTER
11-13-2017, 08:05 AM
Union guy said 39 left this year prior to completing probation.

So that implies that over a hundred left last year?

flyguy81
11-13-2017, 08:07 AM
Whatís the seniority like for those leaving? 150 total, like 1 yr guys? 2 yrs? 3? More?

I think theyíre only counting yr 1-5 guys since beyond that the likelihood of starting over is low.

flyguy81
11-13-2017, 08:13 AM
So that implies that over a hundred left last year?

I think we were around 15% attrition pre-CBA for new hires. Just a WAG but figure we hired 620 or so in 2016? CrewWeb shows 549 still on the list.

WHACKMASTER
11-13-2017, 08:25 AM
I think we were around 15% attrition pre-CBA for new hires. Just a WAG but figure we hired 620 or so in 2016? CrewWeb shows 549 still on the list.

Cool. Thanks. Iím sure itís slowed considerably post-CBA.

Peacock
11-13-2017, 08:30 AM
Company email said 32 left this year before completing probation. That doesn't seem to include anyone leaving after year one.

RckyMtHigh
11-13-2017, 09:10 AM
The numbers this year seem reasonable. I know guys that have left every legacy carrier for another or cargo (donít know anyone that has left FedEx though...). Every one of the many guys I know leaving the military have have multiple interviews and/or offers to choose from. Personally, I think itís a great thing that people have options and are shuffling around. Iím happy that they have the choice to decide what is best for them and their family. Iím also happy when another carrier gets a great contract. All of that together means pilots are in demand and puts my company on notice that they better step up their game come contract time.

e6bpilot
11-13-2017, 09:38 AM
The numbers this year seem reasonable. I know guys that have left every legacy carrier for another or cargo (donít know anyone that has left FedEx though...). Every one of the many guys I know leaving the military have have multiple interviews and/or offers to choose from. Personally, I think itís a great thing that people have options and are shuffling around. Iím happy that they have the choice to decide what is best for them and their family. Iím also happy when another carrier gets a great contract. All of that together means pilots are in demand and puts my company on notice that they better step up their game come contract time.

Someone who gets it. Amazing. Everyone else is busy defending their own choice.

at6d
11-13-2017, 04:58 PM
Yep--no sense in staying you don't want to be, especially with options that will suit better.

That's why I'm here!

ROFF
11-13-2017, 07:01 PM
My career advise:

If you are senior to me it would be in the best interest of my career if you chose to move on to another carrier.

Caveman
11-14-2017, 05:33 PM

Another kudo to someone who get's it. Great post.

David Puddy
11-15-2017, 10:53 AM
What are the primary reasons for leaving (from those you have spoken to)?

at6d
11-15-2017, 11:32 AM
From a few I've spoken with, they had interviews at other majors but did not have a job offer until they were already employed by SWA, which was not their first choice.

flyguy81
11-15-2017, 12:33 PM

Taking the first offer and then going some place where theyíre rather be due to bases, upgrades, etc.

full of luv
11-15-2017, 07:43 PM

It'd be interesting to know the average height of those who stayed vs those who left. Anyone over 6'4" and has peeked into the cockpit of an airbus probably has office envy.

ZapBrannigan
11-16-2017, 12:15 AM
Im way less than 6í4Ē and I have cockpit envy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptYoda
11-16-2017, 03:43 AM
Bases, upgrade times, worldwide travel benefits, culture and work schedule are probably the top reasons.

Skyward
11-16-2017, 04:47 AM
Bases, upgrade times, worldwide travel benefits, culture and work schedule are probably the top reasons.

Hmmm. Except for upgrade times... sounds like reasons to stay, lol.

Smokey23
11-16-2017, 05:22 AM

They simply couldn't handle an entire career of looking at that awful guppy overhead panel! :p

e6bpilot
11-16-2017, 07:59 AM
They simply couldn't handle an entire career of looking at that awful guppy overhead panel! :p

Touche'. That thing is uglier than sin. I keep looking for the flight engineer who is supposed to run that thing when I look behind me.

e6bpilot
11-16-2017, 08:03 AM
Hmmm. Except for upgrade times... sounds like reasons to stay, lol.

Exactly...not sure where you are going with that.
Most guys I know who bailed have left for
1. Base locations
2. Seniority progression
3. Pay/benefits
4. Ability to fly widebody intl

I donít hold any sort of grudge for guys leaving. More power to them. I highly considered it at one time. This hiring environment should be celebrated, not viewed with some sort of contempt for those who choose to better their situation.

Beans
11-16-2017, 05:23 PM

Money, retirement and schedule. Most have left for FDX and a few UPS, Delta that I know of. The money numbers of being a widebody capt for 20+ years just doesn't lie.

ANGFlight81
11-17-2017, 01:32 PM
Money, retirement and schedule. Most have left for FDX and a few UPS, Delta that I know of. The money numbers of being a widebody capt for 20+ years just doesn't lie.

Beans, the APC Troll.

Youíd be a better fit at flightinfo

Ihateusernames
11-17-2017, 03:57 PM

Well you would have to be a wide body captain at the age of 45 for that to work. Good luck w that.

Beans
11-18-2017, 06:37 AM
[QUOTE=Ihateusernames;2468051]Well you would have to be a wide body captain at the age of 45 for that to work. Good luck w that.

Well my friend if you are hired at FDX or UPS by the age of 35 this is easly possible. When 80% or more of its fleet is wide body. Do the math bud. I have 3 good buds that jumped ship to FDX about a year ago and this was the reasoning. Just pointing out the obviuos.

flyguy81
11-18-2017, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=Ihateusernames;2468051]Well you would have to be a wide body captain at the age of 45 for that to work. Good luck w that.

Well my friend if you are hired at FDX or UPS by the age of 35 this is easly possible. When 80% or more of its fleet is wide body. Do the math bud. I have 3 good buds that jumped ship to FDX about a year ago and this was the reasoning. Just pointing out the obviuos.

Assuming you donít mind flying on the back side of the clock. Freight ainít for everyone. For those at AA, UA, DL you ainít gonna be a wide body CA anytime soon.

navigatro
11-18-2017, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE=Beans;2468263]

Assuming you donít mind flying on the back side of the clock. Freight ainít for everyone. For those at AA, UA, DL you ainít gonna be a wide body CA anytime soon.

A lot of wide-body flying at ALL the airlines is back side of the clock.

Sluggo_63
11-18-2017, 12:41 PM
Well you would have to be a wide body captain at the age of 45 for that to work. Good luck w that.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI would have been close. I chose not to, but 47 and I could have held any Captain seat (except 777) at 46.

Sluggo_63
11-18-2017, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=flyguy81;2468303]

And when youíre in China, middle of the night, is daytime body clock, so in a way the long haul international stuff at FedEx is easier.

And almost all airlines do redeyes, I hear them criss-crossing the country in the middle of the night. Except they donít get a 3 hour nap in Memphis. ;)

vroll1800
11-18-2017, 02:16 PM

I'm surprised nobody from "Brown" has chipped in yet, but at UPS, 100% of non-probationary pilots are paid wide body rates due to their single pay scale there. (No equipment differential). If you're being paid wide body rates, do you really care if you're flying a wide body or not ?

flyguy81
11-18-2017, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=flyguy81;2468303]

Yeah...no thanks. You can have it. I'd rather do 1-3 days and not screw up my sleep schedule.

Beans
11-19-2017, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=navigatro;2468352]

Yeah...no thanks. You can have it. I'd rather do 1-3 days and not screw up my sleep schedule.

You do realize that 50% of domestic flying at FDX is day time flying correct? I hear FDX on the west coast more than our SW boys during the afternoon. International is international no matter who you do it for. You can justify our 3 day 12 leg trips and say its easier but I'm going to have to say otherwise. Especially when the pay rate differs by 80k a year as an FO and over 100k as a capt.

slammer1906
11-19-2017, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE=flyguy81;2468594]

You do realize that 50% of domestic flying at FDX is day time flying correct? I hear FDX on the west coast more than our SW boys during the afternoon. International is international no matter who you do it for. You can justify our 3 day 12 leg trips and say its easier but I'm going to have to say otherwise. Especially when the pay rate differs by 80k a year as an FO and over 100k as a capt.

You're using the most rigorous schedules at SWA as an example. What are the most rigorous at said cargo carriers?

e6bpilot
11-20-2017, 04:51 AM
Omg. This thread has left the rails.
Quit trying to justify your decisions. We work harder at SWA than guys at cargo carriers. It is a fact with numbers to prove it.
Our schedules here can be easy or they can be brutal, but they are, for the most part, either AM or PM usually dependent on your preference. There is something to be said for not getting your body clock jerked around. Anyone who has flown long (greater than 8-10 hour) legs in any airplane knows that.
FedEx and UPS guys easily cushion any blow to their fragile bodies by filling a mattress with money. You can do it at swa too but you will work a lot more for it.
Take a look at the schedules of our 400k plus club and let me know if that is how you want to live your life in your 50s and 60s.

ANGFlight81
11-20-2017, 05:02 AM
[QUOTE=flyguy81;2468594]

Weíve been through this. Your numbers are off, we are on the TFP System.

Iíll gladly put my w2 year for year up against yours as well as days off per month.

When youíre ready to get serious and quit trolling, let us know.

ZapBrannigan
11-20-2017, 06:11 AM
Take a look at the schedules of our 400k plus club and let me know if that is how you want to live your life in your 50s and 60s.

This. Whats the old axiom? Nobody ever died thinking ďI wish I had spent more time at work..Ē

RJSAviator76
11-20-2017, 05:38 PM
This. Whats the old axiom? Nobody ever died thinking ďI wish I had spent more time at work..Ē

No, but plenty died with a smile on their face having launched their kids' careers, and not having left them saddled with debt. Just a thought...

ROFF
11-20-2017, 07:13 PM
Please, take the WB international. Did it for over a decade.

2 died on the plane, 3 died in the hotel, and a few more "lucky" ones died at home all before retirement.

I really doubt any of them died with a smile on their faces because of their admirable financial situation.

It is the most unhealthy flying you can do, period.

Besides, no one can see that wide body at night.

Sluggo_63
11-21-2017, 03:30 AM
We’ve been through this. Your numbers are off, we are on the TFP System.

I’ll gladly put my w2 year for year up against yours as well as days off per month.

When you’re ready to get serious and quit trolling, let us know.

I'll bite...

I've actually kept pretty accurate records of this since Nov 14.
B777 FO until 7/2016
B757 CA now.

From 11/2014 to present I averaged (per month):
CH: 90:28
Block: 35:24
TAFB: 244:01 (a little over 10 days per month away from home)

Tenacvols
11-21-2017, 04:02 AM
I'll bite...

B777 FO until 7/2016
B757 CA now.

Thatís pretty nice. Whatís the numbers strictly for your 757 time? Whatís your seniority % on the 757?

TIA

RadarColor
11-21-2017, 04:41 AM
Please, take the WB international. Did it for over a decade.

2 died on the plane, 3 died in the hotel, and a few more "lucky" ones died at home all before retirement.

I really doubt any of them died with a smile on their faces because of their admirable financial situation.

It is the most unhealthy flying you can do, period.

Besides, no one can see that wide body at night.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Did it for 25 years!

If you think it is glamorous then you havenít done it!!!

ANGFlight81
11-21-2017, 05:15 AM
I'll bite...

B777 FO until 7/2016
B757 CA now.

Wow, impressive. So based on this; everyday you worked at FedEx for the last 3 years you averaged a daily credit of 8.22! (Based on 11 days per month, your figure was ďa little over 10Ē so Iím giving you a cushion).

I didnít realize your credit was so high there...or did we have reserve days that we werenít use on (and just not counting those because we were ďat homeĒ)?

SlipKid
11-21-2017, 09:32 AM
Wow, impressive. So based on this; everyday you worked at FedEx for the last 3 years you averaged a daily credit of 8.22! (Based on 11 days per month, your figure was “a little over 10” so I’m giving you a cushion).

I didn’t realize your credit was so high there...or did we have reserve days that we weren’t use on (and just not counting those because we were “at home”)?

My numbers are pretty close to his for this year, which is pretty typical for me the last 5 years or so.

I worked 120 days this year, and averaged 101 tfp per month.

ANGFlight81
11-21-2017, 09:34 AM
My numbers are pretty close to his for this year, which was pretty typical.

I worked 120 days this year, and averaged 101 tfp per month.

I understand. He doesnít work for SWA though meaning average daily credit is usually much less...

SlipKid
11-21-2017, 10:07 AM
I understand. He doesn’t work for SWA though meaning average daily credit is usually much less...

I realize that he doesn't work for us.

If he's on the FDX 12 year scale, and averages the same credit for the rest of this year, he'll make about $30k more than I did. We'll break close to even if he's between 6 and 9 years.

And I'm guessing he doesn't spend half the month massaging his schedule to average those kinds of credit in 10 days like I do either.

Sluggo_63
11-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Wow, impressive. So based on this; everyday you worked at FedEx for the last 3 years you averaged a daily credit of 8.22! (Based on 11 days per month, your figure was ďa little over 10Ē so Iím giving you a cushion).

I didnít realize your credit was so high there...or did we have reserve days that we werenít use on (and just not counting those because we were ďat homeĒ)?There wasn't much reserve at all. I didn't sit it on the 777 and I've only done partial months here (fly a trip for part of the month, sit some reserve for the other part). I did count reserve as time at home, since... I was at home if I didn't get called out, which I rarely did. From what I hear from my buds, SWA uses you guys on reserve a lot. IT's part of their manning model. FedEx doesn't. To FedEx, reserves are like insurance, they hope to not have to use them, but thy will if they need to.

What is in there that may skew the numbers a bit are vacation months. We aren't allowed to fly on vacation (I understand you guys are), and I can easily turn a 8-day vacation into over a month off. So, those months, I credited a full month pay and didn't turn a wheel.

The bigger factor that would be throwing it off would be Initial Training months (I was in B777 school Feb/Mar 2014, and B757 school Aug/Sep 2016), so those months I have as full pay, no TAFB. I'll try and fix that so the numbers are a little more representative.

Also, full disclosure. My work days are my TAFB hours/24. So if my trip left 10:00pm on the 1st and got back 10:00am on the 3rd, it would touch 3 calendar days, but by my calculation, it would only be 1-1/2 days of work. I figured that was the most reasonable calculation because I wouldn't know where to draw the dividing line.

Beans
11-21-2017, 10:39 AM
^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Did it for 25 years!

If you think it is glamorous then you havenít done it!!!

Its all about who you are doing it for. Im pretty sure that FDX international flying is a bit easier and healthier than Atlas international flying. To compare every international carrier to each other is to say every 737 operator is the same. Just stupid logic.

Also, how many times does it need to be said that half of FDX domestic flying is day time. Let me give you an example. My uncle is a WB Capt at FDX and does either weekend layovers (One leg out on Saturday and one leg back on Monday night), or day time flying all domestic. He works on average about 11-12 days a month. His annual income starts with a 4. To say we can do that with our current rates a SWA is just moronic. Do we have guys that do have annual incomes that start with 4? You bet but they work 20+ days a month to do it and they are as odd as an elephant in Georgia.

RJSAviator76
11-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Do we have guys that do have annual incomes that start with 4? You bet but they work 20+ days a month to do it and they are as odd as an elephant in Georgia.

Actually, our topped out captains flying 20+ days a month annual incomes start either with 5 or 6. Saw at least half a dozen paystubs reflecting that... several of those guys werenít even that senior either. Think the junior most guy has been here something like 13 years.

The advice from each one of those guys was unanimous - Know The Contract.

Itíll be interesting to see how these guys do in 2018 given the hiring and aircraft orders.

mainlineAF
11-21-2017, 01:38 PM
Who busts out their pay stubs on a trip? Lol seriously

SlipKid
11-21-2017, 01:39 PM
Who busts out their pay stubs on a trip? Lol seriously

No kidding...... We've got some real insecure folks around here. ;)

ANGFlight81
11-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Its all about who you are doing it for. Im pretty sure that FDX international flying is a bit easier and healthier than Atlas international flying. To compare every international carrier to each other is to say every 737 operator is the same. Just stupid logic.

Also, how many times does it need to be said that half of FDX domestic flying is day time. Let me give you an example. My uncle is a WB Capt at FDX and does either weekend layovers (One leg out on Saturday and one leg back on Monday night), or day time flying all domestic. He works on average about 11-12 days a month. His annual income starts with a 4. To say we can do that with our current rates a SWA is just moronic. Do we have guys that do have annual incomes that start with 4? You bet but they work 20+ days a month to do it and they are as odd as an elephant in Georgia.

So based on what youíre saying about your uncle; if he made exactly 400k (based on $304 per hour) last year working letís say 12 days per month...

That would mean his annual credit would be 1315.
Monthly: 109
Daily: 9.08

This is based on 12 working days per month. What am I missing?

mainlineAF
11-21-2017, 01:50 PM
SWA is a great airline. I donít know why some of the junior guys there feel the need to justify how good it is. Everyone knows you can make serious money there and/or have a good QOL. If they would have been the first airline to call me I would have been all over it.

Relax guys.

slammer1906
11-21-2017, 09:18 PM
So based on what youíre saying about your uncle; if he made exactly 400k (based on $304 per hour) last year working letís say 12 days per month...

Good point...

e6bpilot
11-22-2017, 08:13 AM
SWA is a great airline. I donít know why some of the junior guys there feel the need to justify how good it is. Everyone knows you can make serious money there and/or have a good QOL. If they would have been the first airline to call me I would have been all over it.

Relax guys.

Exactly. This thread has devolved into crank measuring. You will work less and probably make more at fdx. We have some amazing work rules and flexibility at swa, but we haul pax in a high density, low cost operation. You will (mostly) work for the money you make.
I have had some amazing months here too, easily way >10 credit per day and lots of days off with big trip totals, but that is the exception more than the rule.

RJSAviator76
11-22-2017, 08:33 AM
No kidding...... We've got some real insecure folks around here. ;)

We do. But we also have some guys who play the game and offer to pass on their knowledge of the game, and in the process theyíd bust out their paystubs.

I try to pass what I learn on these forums, and I posted my payroll report (not the paystub) when someone questioned whether I was telling the truth in how much I would credit as a probie.

All told, not trying to Ďjustifyí anything, or Ďmeasure cranksí but merely correcting some of the incorrect information. I always said that this place is far from perfect, and we have our own warts.

However, when some people say that weíre Ďindustry laggingí or that we are subpar, Iíll always call them on that because they simply donít know, and worse, their half truths are actually hurting the cause of properly addressing our own warts because theyíll get tuned out...

Having said that, as a relatively junior guy, I really appreciate having senior guys like yourself offering your perspective and historical insight since we donít have our version of ďFlying the LineĒ series. Maybe we ought to...

SlipKid
11-22-2017, 08:58 AM
We do. But we also have some guys who play the game and offer to pass on their knowledge of the game, and in the process they’d bust out their paystubs.

I spend a lot of time on ELITT, and often check it on Gary's iPad/data at the gate, so it is in plain view if the FO. Many of them have asked how end up with the schedules I do, so I explain it. I do all the stuff that the "players" do, but instead of busting my butt, I work the same, or less days but do it for premium. I've never pulled out a pay stub.

I try to pass what I learn on these forums, and I posted my payroll report (not the paystub) when someone questioned whether I was telling the truth in how much I would credit as a probie.

All told, not trying to ‘justify’ anything, or ‘measure cranks’ but merely correcting some of the incorrect information. I always said that this place is far from perfect, and we have our own warts.

That's all I've ever tried to do. :D

However, when some people say that we’re ‘industry lagging’ or that we are subpar, I’ll always call them on that because they simply don’t know, and worse, their half truths are actually hurting the cause of properly addressing our own warts because they’ll get tuned out...

We ARE industry lagging in many ways. The fact that we can work more to make up for the $$$ doesn't change that fact.

A lot depends on where you sit on the list when it comes to comparing pay vs. time off with other carriers, which is why I always bring it up. A guy sitting in your position, comparing himself to his peers flying narrow bodies at other airlines is a lot different than a guy in my position comparing himself to his peers who are all flying left seat in wide bodies. The more senior you get, the more your career will lag the industry, mainly because we don't fly wide bodies. The senior folks making wide body plus pay at SW are flying regional like schedules, at best. Someone considering SW as a career choice needs to keep this in mind. You won't be a second year guy forever.

Having said that, as a relatively junior guy, I really appreciate having senior guys like yourself offering your perspective and historical insight since we don’t have our version of “Flying the Line” series. Maybe we ought to...

Unfortunately, the SWAPA forum has been "purged" a few times to hide much of the sordid past from the newer folks, so it's worthless for any but the most recent history.

Beans
11-22-2017, 11:22 AM

Easily explained! Their vacation system! With five weeks of vacation that can equal 4 months of the year off with how their system works, or you can take 3 of the 5 weeks off (Equals about 2 months or a little more of the year off) and sell back 2 weeks and get 2 months of over 160 hours of credit for just flying a regular 12 day line. They also have many more trips bought from them for currency (managment pilots and school house trainers needing to fly) and training. So if you pick up in place of the trip bought from you it gets lucrative quick. Most of the time he said he stays home but 1 in 4 he picks up (double dip for no extra days worked).

full of luv
11-28-2017, 08:08 AM
Exactly. This thread has devolved into crank measuring. You will work less and probably make more at fdx. We have some amazing work rules and flexibility at swa, but we haul pax in a high density, low cost operation. You will (mostly) work for the money you make.
I have had some amazing months here too, easily way >10 credit per day and lots of days off with big trip totals, but that is the exception more than the rule.

This reminds me of my days in the reserves hearing pilots from any/all majors bragging how this trip was dropped with pay and double time on another added, etc for a big payday over a 5 day period.
Then the next month they'd talk about how they missed this or that opportunity to drop or add something great and instead got screwwwed over.

It's human/pilot nature to focus on the great/worst aspects of their jobs and leave out the months and months of mundane work associated with any job.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1