Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : USN Keflavik

A306pilot
11-18-2017, 08:44 AM
Does the USN have a Navy Exchange or anything similar at Keflavik?
Aplogies if this is the wrong place to post this.

crewdawg
11-18-2017, 11:21 AM
I did not see one when I was there this May. It's a pretty small contingent of USN there, I would be surprised if they had one.

UAL T38 Phlyer
11-18-2017, 01:37 PM
According to Wikipedia, and anecdotal information I have, the US military is all but gone, and there are no US facilities there any more. The military camp is being redeveloped with a new name, and it is just Iceland's busiest airport. Any military presence is incidental, and not permanent.

A306pilot
11-19-2017, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will be moving there in January to work for one of the local airlines and I will be living on the former USN base. I had seen a few reports that the USN were building the base back up again

rickair7777
11-20-2017, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will be moving there in January to work for one of the local airlines and I will be living on the former USN base. I had seen a few reports that the USN were building the base back up again

There are some things going on, no idea if there will be support facilities.