Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Lynden Air Cargo

DC 3
11-21-2017, 06:23 AM
Saw that Lynden's first officer position is currently open- does anyone know what they would consider as competitive? Their website lists 5000 TT among other requirements, i'm curious if it's realistic that they will hire at that. How badly do they need crew right now?

gypsypilot
11-21-2017, 01:35 PM
For a company that hasnít grown in years they sure seem to hire Foís pretty often. I wonder why?

Four Fans
12-14-2017, 03:46 PM
Most new-hires do have the hours, though they have relaxed the requirement over the past year or so. They recently purchased additional aircraft and are hiring to fill the seats once they come out of the bridging maintenance. If you're interested, apply. The worst that can happen is you don't get a call.

USAFFlightEng
12-18-2017, 01:30 PM
I am interested in applying for their Flight Engineer opening, I have C-130 FE and crew chief experience from my time in the Air Force as well as FE time in the C-5. I am working on getting my A&P and commercial pilot license at the moment. Ultimately I want to be a pilot though, any current or former Lynden crew know if moving from the FE seat to FO seat is a possibility?

Packrat
12-18-2017, 01:38 PM
I am interested in applying for their Flight Engineer opening, I have C-130 FE and crew chief experience from my time in the Air Force as well as FE time in the C-5. I am working on getting my A&P and commercial pilot license at the moment. Ultimately I want to be a pilot though, any current or former Lynden crew know if moving from the FE seat to FO seat is a possibility?

Check your PMs.

Four Fans
12-19-2017, 09:31 AM

They generally hire professional flight engineers, but it has happened in the past. In fact, as recently as last year an FE moved over to the right seat. That said, when the time comes you would have to be competitive with the group of applicants when they are hiring for FOs, which means you would need to do some flying on the side to get experience. If you want to be involved with the Herc and eventually have a shot at flying it, this might be a path forward. If you just want to be an airline pilot, this is not the best path for you.

USAFFlightEng
12-19-2017, 07:38 PM
Even a career as a Flight Engineer wouldn't be so bad if the pay scale listed on here is correct. I miss my days flying the Herk in the AF, always wanted to pilot one but getting to old to get commissioned. Looks like a more interesting career than the airline route, although my wife might not agree lol.

Four Fans
01-18-2018, 04:51 PM
Even a career as a Flight Engineer wouldn't be so bad if the pay scale listed on here is correct. I miss my days flying the Herk in the AF, always wanted to pilot one but getting to old to get commissioned. Looks like a more interesting career than the airline route, although my wife might not agree lol.

Pay scales as listed for Lynden on this site are accurate and current based on what management emailed out to the crews. Word is they are going to have another initial class starting around May 1st, so I would expect the application window to open in the next couple weeks.

Big Fred
01-25-2018, 06:19 AM
Any current Lyndon guys out there who can answer a few question.

Thanks
Big Fred

PotatoChip
01-31-2018, 07:22 PM
Any current Lyndon guys out there who can answer a few question.

Thanks
Big Fred

Bump.
Just curious about the operation, rotations, how home-basing is working.

Thanks.

Four Fans
02-01-2018, 04:19 PM
Bump.
Just curious about the operation, rotations, how home-basing is working.

Thanks.
As far as home basing goes, they run a Gateway system. As long as you live within about 2 hours of a fairly large airport, they will fly you where they need you...coach, normally. It's run on a bid system. If you're Anchorage based, they have Alaska lines that run 5 days on, 5 days off. Outside Alaska, they generally try to hold to 18 days on, 13 off for a 31 day month. Some months you might travel in a couple days early at the end of the previous month, or if your line is the second half of the month, you might travel out the first of the next month so the plane is always covered in the transition. That can end up running longer if there are visa or travel problems with your replacement, but then you get an extra 3 hours added on top of guarantee or hard time each day for day-off pay. Other questions?

PotatoChip
02-03-2018, 08:27 AM
As far as home basing goes, they run a Gateway system. As long as you live within about 2 hours of a fairly large airport, they will fly you where they need you...coach, normally. It's run on a bid system. If you're Anchorage based, they have Alaska lines that run 5 days on, 5 days off. Outside Alaska, they generally try to hold to 18 days on, 13 off for a 31 day month. Some months you might travel in a couple days early at the end of the previous month, or if your line is the second half of the month, you might travel out the first of the next month so the plane is always covered in the transition. That can end up running longer if there are visa or travel problems with your replacement, but then you get an extra 3 hours added on top of guarantee or hard time each day for day-off pay. Other questions?

Thanks!
If I was younger, I honestly think this would be a fantastic gig.

HVYMETALDRVR
02-06-2018, 05:06 AM
What contracts does Lynden hold, outside of the Alaska flying that is? I'm aware of the PNG oil contract, but that was quite a few years back. Is living overseas an option?

Four Fans
02-06-2018, 02:48 PM
What contracts does Lynden hold, outside of the Alaska flying that is? I'm aware of the PNG oil contract, but that was quite a few years back. Is living overseas an option?

It has happened before when it was advantageous for the company and the pilot, but there is no guarantee. That would be a Chief Pilot and scheduler call. It would depend on where you were thinking of living and how that travel cost would compare with the travel cost from a domestic airport. Some places compare very well. Right now, four of the airplanes are based overseas on contracts of various lengths, but the business being what it is, that could change in a very short period of time. Couldn't hurt to ask.

CGHercFE12
04-09-2018, 06:10 AM
Hello any current Lynden FEs or pilots on here just looking for some information on working there. I am leaving the service as an FE soon and wondering if Lynden FE job would be a good thing. I have heard good things about the company.

dc8l382
04-09-2018, 08:34 AM
CGHercFE12 - Check your Private Message

KA350Driver
04-09-2018, 02:06 PM
Iíd be interested in looking into Lynden as well. Donít have the 5K hours but have a good amount of international flying in Africa.

CGHercFE12
04-09-2018, 06:30 PM
Iíd be interested in looking into Lynden as well. Donít have the 5K hours but have a good amount of international flying in Africa.

Is 5K hours a requirement for FE?

KA350Driver
04-10-2018, 03:21 AM
Not according to their website.

Four Fans
04-11-2018, 03:44 PM
The 5000 hours is not a hard and fast rule. With the market for pilots being what it is, they have relaxed the hour requirement for individuals who have built their hours doing interesting or challenging flying assignments. They recently finished interviews and hired for a class coming up at the end of the month (interviewee hours ranged from around 4,000 up to around 11k). They are looking into another class beginning in September, which will have the application window opening in June or July.

KA350Driver
04-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I probably wouldnít be ready to make a move until early next year. Hopefully theyíre still hiring.

KA350Driver
07-03-2018, 09:24 AM
Bump

I here these guys are expanding quite a bit. Any chance of a bump in pay anytime soon?

A Squared
07-03-2018, 10:14 AM
Bump

I here these guys are expanding quite a bit. Any chance of a bump in pay anytime soon?

There was an adjustment to the pay scale in January of 2018. The scale published on Lynden's profile here on APC is current. I'm skeptical that there are any increases planned or likely in the near future.

Also, "expanding quite a bit" may not be exactly accurate. The note on the profile about purchasing 6 additional aircraft is accurate as far as it goes, but most of those aircraft are being operated by the former owner on leaseback arrangement. There are plans to add airframes to Lynden's operating certificate, but to date, none have begun operating. That said, I believe they are trying to put together a class. No idea how many or if the window has closed.

Four Fans
07-13-2018, 10:22 AM
Next aircraft is due out of bridging maintenance in December, with the following aircraft beginning bridging towards the end of 1Q19. They found a lot of stuff needing work on the first aircraft which delayed its delivery and pushed the second aircraft back. The other 4 aircraft that were purchased are in a leaseback arrangement with the original operator. What the plans for them after that lease is over is unclear at the moment. It all depends on the market.

Applications are currently being accepted for a 21 August class. Not sure if there will be another class to follow later this year, but I know it is being discussed.

hoke303
12-20-2018, 03:45 PM
Any current Lynden folks know about upcoming hiring and how willing they are willing to stray from the 5000TT? I am a current ANG H3 pilot and have the L-382 PIC type rating.

A Squared
12-20-2018, 07:26 PM
Any current Lynden folks know about upcoming hiring and how willing they are willing to stray from the 5000TT? I am a current ANG H3 pilot and have the L-382 PIC type rating.

I don't have anything to do with hiring, so take it for what it's worth, but my guess is that they'd be willing to bend the requirement pretty far for someone current in the C-130.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1