Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Transition

HoustonPilot
11-21-2017, 10:58 AM
Can someone, in plain English explain why everyone tells me to select transition and composite when inputting my bids? I've asked numerous pilots and can't get a straight answer. I am tired of getting screwed at the end of the month working 4 days, 1 day off the 2, 3 or 4 days on the backside.

moon
11-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Can someone, in plain English explain why everyone tells me to select transition and composite when inputting my bids? I've asked numerous pilots and can't get a straight answer. I am tired of getting screwed at the end of the month working 4 days, 1 day off the 2, 3 or 4 days on the backside.

Don't know about composite, but transition is to pay protect yourself for anything they remove. Or that 7D they give you would be a free day for them.

HoustonPilot
11-21-2017, 11:01 AM
Don't know about composite, but transition is to pay protect yourself for anything they remove. Or that 7D they give you would be a free day for them.

So I get paid for the 7 day conflict drop?

moon
11-21-2017, 11:04 AM
So I get paid for the 7 day conflict drop?

That is Correct.

HoustonPilot
11-21-2017, 11:06 AM
That is Correct.

Ok, that makes it slightly better. Now, do i get paid on what was dropped or the greater of some arbitrary contract #.

moon
11-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Ok, that makes it slightly better. Now, do i get paid on what was dropped or the greater of some arbitrary contract #.

I think the contract reads they will drop the least amount of flying to make it legal. So to me that sounds like you'd always be flying the greater of. I dont have the contract in front of me though. I've seen people not select transition if they have carry over OT and want to keep the OT for the premiums.

Bigpimppilot
11-21-2017, 11:35 AM
If there is a legality issue during transition and they need to drop something then you will only get paid for it if you selected ďYĒ to transition when you did your monthly bidding.

Jersdawg
11-21-2017, 11:52 AM
If there is a legality issue during transition and they need to drop something then you will only get paid for it if you selected ďYĒ to transition when you did your monthly bidding.

Essentially, what do you want more control of - your pay or your schedule?

griff312
11-21-2017, 11:57 AM
All the above is true, but to add to that.... From what I understand, selecting Transition allows scheduling to adjust your end of month / beginning of next month sequences to meet legality needs, if you have conflicting sequences. You will get paid for days dropped, if any. By not choosing Transition, you will fly the whole last sequence of the remainder month, and any conflicting sequence on the following month will be dropped, if legality becomes an issue. You will not be paid for the dropped days in this case.

Boogerface
11-21-2017, 02:02 PM

If you select Composite and get a Reserve line, they CAN convert your reserve line to a composite line, however, I have never once heard of someone's reserve line actually getting converted. I'm pretty sure it's a useless option at this point.

Seaplane
11-21-2017, 04:48 PM
What is a 7D day?

havick206
11-21-2017, 04:50 PM
What is a 7D day?

7 day conflict. You can only legally fly 6 days in a row. If due to transition they have you flying more than 6 in a row then thereís a 7 day conflict and crew scheduling will have to drop a day somewhere and still pay you for the dropped flying.

If you live in base itís easy to almost double guarantee each month simply by bidding lines that create transition conflicts as well as creating situations where you are likely to time out your 100 hrs in 28 days.

HoustonPilot
11-21-2017, 04:55 PM
7 day conflict. You can only legally fly 6 days in a row. If due to transition they have you flying more than 6 in a row then thereís a 7 day conflict and crew scheduling will have to drop a day somewhere and still pay you for the dropped flying.

If you live in base itís easy to almost double guarantee each month simply by bidding lines that create transition conflicts as well as creating situations where you are likely to time out your 100 hrs in 28 days.

I wanna hear more about maxing the 100. They pay you there as well for forced dropped due to this as well?

3EngineTaxi
11-21-2017, 05:00 PM
Do you know someone who has earned "almost double guarantee" in a month? I can't see how that would be "easy." I bet one would need to work very hard to achieve this. Please explain your reasoning.

Boogerface
11-22-2017, 12:30 PM
Do you know someone who has earned "almost double guarantee" in a month? I can't see how that would be "easy." I bet one would need to work very hard to achieve this. Please explain your reasoning.

By creating transition conflicts, trip trading, and picking up OT, preferably at 200%, not to mention putting yourself at 8 days off for the month. I wouldn't call the work "easy", because you're working your @$$ off. I suppose if you don't mind burning yourself out and aging yourself terribly, this is a great way to live your life....

Pedro4President
11-22-2017, 01:41 PM
Bidding reserve I have never selected transition. I have often had a 7D conflict but I have never seen a reduction in pay. However after reading the contract it looks like I should not have been pay protected.

Subpilot
11-22-2017, 03:03 PM
Bidding reserve I have never selected transition. I have often had a 7D conflict but I have never seen a reduction in pay. However after reading the contract it looks like I should not have been pay protected.

Thatís because you are working for guarantee already.

havick206
11-22-2017, 03:13 PM

I regularly credit 130+ hours a month know of many others also getting the same credit hours or better. Living in base I still end up spending 12-13 days at home (2-3 of which are on IOE displacement however i know they canít use me because i pick up OT on actual days off to create a 100/28 conflict as soon as i get displaced for IOE).

Itís easy to play the game living in base.

Virga show
11-23-2017, 05:57 AM
I regularly credit 130+ hours a month know of many others also getting the same credit hours or better. Living in base I still end up spending 12-13 days at home (2-3 of which are on IOE displacement however i know they canít use me because i pick up OT on actual days off to create a 100/28 conflict as soon as i get displaced for IOE).
It's easy to play the game living in base.

I wonder if it would work the same in Australia flying heloís? You could prob credit 150 hours every month out there

havick206
11-23-2017, 07:10 AM
I wonder if it would work the same in Australia flying heloís? You could prob credit 150 hours every month out there

Probably not. Pretty sure the currency there is in cartons of beer.

Virga show
11-23-2017, 09:39 AM
Probably not. Pretty sure the currency there is in cartons of beer.

Fosters- Australian for beer. In the states itís called a case of beer ha

highfarfast
12-13-2017, 05:53 PM

You look like the right one to ask here based on this comment.

I have 5 days reserve to end the month. On the day prior, I picked up OT. That SHOULD give me a 7 day conflict on the 1st of next month. I'm expecting to get a line next month. I'd like to guarantee I get that 1st off.

If I select the transition option or don't select the transition option, what should I expect.

Subpilot
12-13-2017, 06:00 PM
You look like the right one to ask here based on this comment.

I have 5 days reserve to end the month. On the day prior, I picked up OT. That SHOULD give me a 7 day conflict on the 1st of next month. I'm expecting to get a line next month. I'd like to guarantee I get that 1st off.

If I select the transition option or don't select the transition option, what should I expect.
If you want to guarantee the 1st off then donít bid transition because that means they can only remove you from January to resolve any conflicts (ie the 1st). The only downside is you wonít get paid for that day but you will still receive the monthly garantee regardless because you didnít drop the day (this is how the reserve guys still get the 75 hours). If you select transition then they have the option of removing you from either side of the transition.

highfarfast
01-22-2018, 12:57 PM
How would OT be treated on the transition if you picked up a trip that started at the end of one month but ran into another month? And how would selecting the transition option effect it either way?

Pedro4President
01-22-2018, 04:21 PM
How would OT be treated on the transition if you picked up a trip that started at the end of one month but ran into another month? And how would selecting the transition option effect it either way?

Well depends on if you are on reserve or holding a line. If the month you are going into is a reserve month then you can either choose to treat it as a reserve day flying. You could also choose to "move" a day off on it so you could get the OT credit for them.

This doesn't have much to do with selecting transition.

Also, if someone knows the section of the contract I'm talking about please post.

highfarfast
01-22-2018, 05:16 PM
Well depends on if you are on reserve or holding a line. If the month you are going into is a reserve month then you can either choose to treat it as a reserve day flying. You could also choose to "move" a day off on it so you could get the OT credit for them.

This doesn't have much to do with selecting transition.

Also, if someone knows the section of the contract I'm talking about please post.

I'm not on reserve anymore so I'm thinking in terms of line holders. Been reading the contract and haven't seen those questions answered. Just trying to figure out the best strategy for setting up the transition and much of what I've been told by the captains I've been flying with is not in line with what I'm reading in the contract (but the posts in this thread are MUCH closer which is why I'm asking here) and an email to union reps for clarification is going unanswered. The questions I asked regarding OT are the last bit of details I can't figure out.

Pedro4President
01-22-2018, 05:47 PM
I'm not on reserve anymore so I'm thinking in terms of line holders. Been reading the contract and haven't seen those questions answered. Just trying to figure out the best strategy for setting up the transition and much of what I've been told by the captains I've been flying with is not in line with what I'm reading in the contract (but the posts in this thread are MUCH closer which is why I'm asking here) and an email to union reps for clarification is going unanswered. The questions I asked regarding OT are the last bit of details I can't figure out.

Call the union. I had an issue on understanding pay and scheduling conflicts in regards to vacation. He was very helpful in terms of maximizing vacation to get the most pay.